Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laver Cup 2017, Prague - Sep 22-24, 2017

+26
Thandi
forummember
InspiredTennis
wcr
benni241
anutam
michelle88
FedFFL
Aprilp20n
Cheadlebeagle
Lil_Jay
mariah1
Kop8zky
PASDOM59
fedled
striker
federerworshipper
ph∞be
cornnn92
Márcia
avasbar
Sherl
Steerpike60
Rufus1
norinchi
Cromar
30 posters

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Normal Re: Laver Cup 2017, Prague - Sep 22-24, 2017

Post by Lil_Jay Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 pm

haha love it...just watched the krygios highlights again...maestro winter beast mode is about to be switched on Smile

Lil_Jay
Admin

https://federer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Normal comment

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:40 am

Nothing but the truth from wcr! To the last poster, just above, I have enjoyed several watchings. Each time I can't  but smile, clap, rejoice. To see Rod Laver being celebrated provided much satisfaction. He is a little shy, he kept blushing at times, but I do declare that he positively enjoyed it all. Always felt the need for this kind of recognition and accolades for him, and others. Also on the women's side. As for the "winter beast mode" I already sense the silky fur over the gliding, floating and pouncing body, and eyes widen before the pounce.....I do believe, at times, that we have some bits of DNA from our evolution. But we can't blame that for our tendency to cruelty, violence and greed, as seen throughout history. Creatures don't do those things for their egos and to pile up goods.   Off topic? Facepalm ewaponaw

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Jay Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:56 am

Tough one to decode their, maybe I'll use a boring and plain 'looks like he's ready to play well for the last part of the season' next time haha
Lil_Jay
Lil_Jay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:55 am

Márc19f wrote:This article is by french. Maybe someone (Corinne?) can translate it?

Cromar, I don't know if this is the right place.

http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/laver-cup-coup-d-essai-coup-de-maitre-coup-de-coeur_sto6345654/story.shtml

It's fine here. It's actually a great article, so I decided to translate it, as I know Google wouldn't do justice to Mr Vergne, especially when I saw the first translated word: Washer Cup!!  Laughing Pacman  

I tried my best, but it's definitively not a straight forward task... None-the-less, I hope you enjoy reading it!

Laver Cup : Coup d'essai, coup de maître, coup de cœur

(Laver Cup: First Try, Master Stroke, WOW factor)

Laurent Vergne - Eurosport
25 September 2017

LAVER CUP - In Prague, for three days, Federer, Nadal, Kyrgios, McEnroe and others shook the tennis world in creating the happening. It took only a weekend for the Laver Cup to find its marks.  A real success.

Before this weekend, I had neither any delirious enthusiasm nor basic disdain for the Laver Cup. I did not feel like having the soul of a lawyer or of a prosecutor.  Rather, that of a witness.  I was intrigued.  I wanted to see.  Then, like everyone else, I saw.  Saw what?  Quality tennis.  An immense popular success (83,000 spectators in the five sessions over the three days and, by the way, what an excellent choice that of Prague was, like that of Chicago next year, two cities weaned of tennis at the highest level).  A schema rather well put together with the system of progressive points over the weekend to keep the suspense as long as possible.  A pleasant visual and graphic rendering with this court all black. But even if all this is not negligible, that remains secondary.

The essential is elsewhere.  The most important at the end is the implication and the passion put in by the protagonists of this new event. That was my biggest question: Laver Cup, Super exhibition or real competition?  As a reminder, here is what I wrote on Friday: " It is they, the players, who will determine the place that the Laver Cup can take in the tennis landscape of the next 10 or 15 years or even beyond. If they invest themselves, if they add passion to it, if they show on the court that this event counts for them, there is no doubt that it will make a name for itself." The least one can say,  is that the players got invested, and even put their heart into it.

The players played the game and got caught up in it

My fear was that the Laver Cup would turn into a gigantic operation of communication and be not much else.  The marketing plan, impeccably run, was sometimes stifling, from the photo of the toss with Anna Wintour to the massive pre-show on Thursday night.  As if the newcomer, through lack of confidence in himself, had felt the need to constantly show off.  It is a mistake because, in reality, and this is the big lesson of the weekend, the event was self-sufficient and it's when tennis took over that the Laver Cup found its true substance.

This was especially true in the very last match, by far the best and most exciting, combining stake and quality, between Roger Federer and Nick Kyrgios .  Undoubtedly one of the 10 most beautiful encounters of the season.  But it was mainly in the reaction of the protagonists, just after match point, that everything was said.  It is there, in these few handfuls of seconds, that holds the success of this first Laver Cup.  Kyrgios in tears.  Federer euphoric and Nadal jumping from the bench to throw himself in his arms.  I saw there a lot of spontaneity, on both sides of the field.

If all this was a vulgar money machine disguised as a shoddy exhibition, why such strong reactions on the emotional level?  Because the Laver Cup is already something other than an exhibition.  To want to reduce it to that is a mistake.  It is not a true official event, it does not earn ATP points, is not recognized by the ITF or the ATP, but it is in any case already a real competition.  Because the players played the game and, moreover, because they got caught up in the game, maybe even beyond what they imagined.

Trans-Generational Pleasure

If he had "no worry" about the seriousness of everyone on the court, Federer confessed to being pleasantly surprised by how the players acted and reacted on the bench.  Several of them, initially, had planned to stay at the hotel to relax and get prepared. But all have preferred to live the moment in full, to take in the atmosphere and enjoy every minutes of it.  This almost juvenile excitement, for example, was that of a Nadal, wound up like a cuckoo [clock] to support Federer during his match against Kyrgios.  You would have to be thrill deprived so as not to see in the attitude of a Nadal the expression of a real pleasure.  The world number one has no longer the age and not the character to simulate his emotions.

After this weekend, it would be very bold, and in fact almost reckless, to sweep away this Laver Cup with a backhand.  Three days were enough to establish itself. It offered one of the matches of the season and one of the images of the year with the doubles Federer-Nadal.  Was this in answer to a need?  I don't know.  But to a desire, without doubt, yes.  The one of players who found in Prague something they did not have elsewhere on the circuit.  Actually, Nadal has already announced that he would be there next year.

The most amazing has been seeing John McEnroe, a 58-year-old captain, to get as much kick out of it as Nick Kyrgios, 36 years younger.  This trans-generational pleasure is perhaps the most beautiful success of this Czech weekend.  A Kyrgios who, within a week, gave his all at a Davis Cup semi-final and the Laver Cup.  Proof that all this is not (necessarily) incompatible.

Identity can not be bought

There are still many questions, I still have some reservations, for example this notion of "Team World".  The process of identification does not seem obvious to me when a team is composed of players from four continents.  If, one year, the Laver Cup is played in the United States and there are practically no American players, that will be a problem.  Prague was rather reassuring on that subject, but the cohesion of the team guided by Big Mac was facilitated by the presence of four Americans and by the fact that Kyrgios is very close to a Jack Sock.  But this unity will not necessarily be evident in the long run.  However that may be, it would be unjust to ask a new competition to be perfect.

For three days, I saw players who had a lot of fun and who gave just as much.  I saw players and teams who wanted to play, and win, which is even more important.  With extraordinary means, big sponsors and the double-backing of Federer-Laver, it was easy to put together this new event.  But an identity can not be bought.  It must be shaped.  Thanks to its actors, the Laver Cup, it seems to me, already has one.

"Time will tell how important the Laver Cup can become", Federer said in a statement on Sunday night.  He is right.  Nobody can predict.  But it is indeed well and truly born, with this little taste of 'revenez-y' (moreish) unique to the most succulent dishes.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 am

Steerpike60 wrote:I also felt a bit bad for Berdych.  He was the only player on Team Europe who didn't win a match (1 single and 2 doubles), and he was playing in front of his home crowd.

True Steerpike - but he pushed Kyrgios all the way and maybe sapped some of his energy reserves before the showdown with Roger!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 am

Laver Cup 2017, Prague - Sep 22-24, 2017 - Page 22 DKl0429WAAAxI1M

Lol Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Jay Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm

What an article...loved it
Lil_Jay
Lil_Jay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Laver Cup 2017 Prague

Post by milesa Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Cromar wrote:Here is the FULL match (2:50), with post-match team celebration, interviews, the Trophy ceremony and... off-court champagne!  Giggle

Thank you very, very much Cromar for posting this match and celebration! I couldn't have seen it, our TV didn't broadcast it! Only the first day they broadcasted! So, thank you so much, I'm grateful!

Mimi  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

milesa

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Good article about the Laver Cup.  I especially liked the part where he talks about how this event would never have happened if Roger wasn't the respected pillar that he is in tennis.  

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/09/laver-cup-what-we-learned-federer-nadal-mcenroe-kyrgios-sock-ryder-cup/69625/
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by LaRubia Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm back from Prague and another unforgettable tennis event Very Happy
What a pleasure to attend the Laver Cup in the beautiful O2 Arena.
The commitment from the players was incredible and they brought us high level tennis in every match.
It was also pure entertainment to watch the reactions from the players on the bench.
Team World was so creative but I guess it's safe to say that #1 cheerleader of the weekend was Rafa...
It was special to witness Fedal teaming up for doubles.
It felt weird to cheer for Rafa in his singles though but in a team event every point is important Exclamation
I was very nervous before Roger's match vs Kyrgios as we all know how dangerous Nick is.
It was another of Roger's fun matches which he loves so much but which ages us 100 years Very affraid
Team Europe animating the crowd then to make even more noise surely contributed to Roger doing his magical turnaround in the match tiebreak Very Happy
How fitting that Roger won the deciding point for his team and the emotions which we saw afterwards speak also volume about this event ❤️
So happy to see Team Europe winning but a big applause also to Team World for what they brought to the Laver Cup.
Tennis is really the winner of this weekend Thumbs up
LaRubia
LaRubia

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 am

^^^
Doris dear, what a beautiful report, moving report. Thank you so much!

It was also very interesting to try to "search" for you, the fans who went there, but also the families, sitting all in the middle of the crowd. I loved it also.

cromar, wow for the google translator. Creative, the "person" there.
Laughing Pacman

corinne, if you still can read it, can you please give me a safe link to the yt downloader? OFF TOPIC Wink Gif
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilp20n Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 am

Thank you Cromar for translating the article!
Aprilp20n
Aprilp20n

Back to top Go down

Post by federerworshipper Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 am

I have been extremely busy but at night I watch the Laver cup videos, commentary, tweets etc. I watched the Final 4 times. What a spectacular event. Three whole days of beautiful tennis in a gorgeous arena. And yes, I loved Team World they were adorable and the life of the party, but "LaRubia" I agree, Nadal wins the best cheerleader award, heck he almost tore his shorts Laughing Pacman . But I am worried about Roger's back, Nadal expected Roger to carry him like he is a toddler  Very Happy I can't believe this guy. But it did show how happy he was for Roger and for the Team. He was really deep into it and that's nice. 

We can always count on Roger, the genius, to surprise us, dazzle us and rock the tennis world. He introduced us, me at least, to Prague, what a dramatic backdrop behind the tennis scene. He has so much pull and Sponsers power and fan love that enable him to make things happen. What a great man, praising Laver and downplaying his being the brain behind this thing.

I can't help but think of 2008, Roger's Mono year, when he was on a losing streak all year, and lost in Olympic singles and we were in pain and despair, and boom, out of the blue he came up with Team Fedrinka in Olympic doubles and won it, and sealed the year winning the US Open and in a blink he was sitting at the top of the tennis world again and what a happy ending to the year that was. Right now, I forgot all about the 2017 USO after this glorious weekend in Prague  Very Happy 

Thank you "Cromar" for the translation, for the match and all the goodies. 

"LaRubia" You were at the event, lucky you. What a thrill, thank you for posting about it.

Goodnight everyone.
federerworshipper
federerworshipper

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Lovely post, fednumber1 !  

This was indeed a glorious weekend for all involved, as well as for tennis and the fans. I have been amazed at the positive feedback from practically everyone in the tennis world, not forgetting the huge buzz on social media.

What a great success this was for a first try... and a huge relief for Roger, I am sure! The planning of this event must have weighted quite heavily on his shoulder, seeing how involved he was in its preparation, both physically and emotionally, and how badly he wanted it to succeed. And to be accorded the honor to clinch the winning points for Team Europe was just the perfect ending, for Roger and for us!  Laughing
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by federerworshipper Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 am

^^^

You used the key word "peRFect ending" Very Happy Let's hope 2017 will end perfectly on a high for Roger and fans.
federerworshipper
federerworshipper

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:38 am

I hadn't seen these... as tweeted by Roger!  

He must have been still on a high when he did those tweets!  Facepalm

:horror:

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum