Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by Márcia Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:05 am

^^^
And Mirka and the girls, if I am not blinded by The Man. Wink Gif

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Cromar wrote:ph∞be - I think you need to listen to the Podcast to fully appreciate the context in which Clarey made his comments about Messi and the likes. While discussing the extreme popularity of Roger, Clarey felt that considering the popularity of soccer/football around the world (in terms of number of fans) being far greater than tennis, he would have to put them ahead of Roger (not necessarily as a sportsman).

As far as the GMOAT, this is the new reality of 'politically correct' social media... and some will argue that Serena is the GOAT, as she has three more GS than Roger.

Wouldn't that make Margaret Court the greatest? She has more majors than Serena, doesn't she?!

It's a nonsensical argument, I believe, as women's tennis should be viewed as a separate sport, because the best of 3 sets in the majors means comparisons are flawed.

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerNo.1 Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Milesahead wrote:
Cromar wrote:ph∞be - I think you need to listen to the Podcast to fully appreciate the context in which Clarey made his comments about Messi and the likes. While discussing the extreme popularity of Roger, Clarey felt that considering the popularity of soccer/football around the world (in terms of number of fans) being far greater than tennis, he would have to put them ahead of Roger (not necessarily as a sportsman).

As far as the GMOAT, this is the new reality of 'politically correct' social media... and some will argue that Serena is the GOAT, as she has three more GS than Roger.

Wouldn't that make Margaret Court the greatest? She has more majors than Serena, doesn't she?!

It's a nonsensical argument, I believe, as women's tennis should be viewed as a separate sport, because the best of 3 sets in the majors means comparisons are flawed.
I don't think we should wade into this territory. Because if we really want to compare apples and oranges then we definitely have to look at the fact that the women don't play 5 set matches, ever, as you say Milesahead  . That makes what the men do so much more difficult. I agree that it is a different sport. And I don't think we should base an athlete's greatness on the popularity of their chosen sport either. How does that make any sense? Especially since soccer/football is a team sport. I would argue that as far as team sports go, Wayne Gretzky is the greatest. Just because hockey is a less popular sport worldwide than soccer doesn't make his achievements less impressive. There really is no formula that can be used to determine who is the greatest all-round athlete of all time. But I do think that longevity needs to be incorporated into that discussion.
RogerNo.1
RogerNo.1

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:56 pm

I do feel that this male/female comparison has become much more prevalent after Serena's rise. Steffi's stats are better in many dimensions other than the number of Grand Slams and longevity but even in her heyday nobody talked about Steffi as the GOAT (men and women). To read articles which say that one of Roger's goals could be to overtake Serena's 23 is ludicrous.

I cannot compare across sports and I am an avid sports fan. However, to me Roger wields the tennis racquet in a way that no man or woman has ever wielded it so, yes, to me, Roger is the GOAT in tennis- male and female. Billie Jean King agrees.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:49 pm

RogerNo.1Again wrote:And I don't think we should base an athlete's greatness on the popularity of their chosen sport either. How does that make any sense? Especially since soccer/football is a team sport. I would argue that as far as team sports go, Wayne Gretzky is the greatest. Just because hockey is a less popular sport worldwide than soccer doesn't make his achievements less impressive. There really is no formula that can be used to determine who is the greatest all-round athlete of all time. But I do think that longevity needs to be incorporated into that discussion.

Or Don Bradman, whose career averages are something like 40% better than his nearest rivals over decades (and cricket is played all over the world, including being the number 1 sport in India).

Roger is the best tennis player I've seen - male or female - not just in terms of his achievements, but in how he has achieved - such remarkable style (on and off the court!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:04 pm

L'Ilustré does it again... with a cute behind-the-scene story.

You probably saw the picture (posted earlier in the ATP Rankings thread) of Roger, with Ivan and Severin, and that big No. 1 in front of them. Well, that big prop is the creation of l'Illustré and this is the story of it's journey to Rotterdam and how Roger embraced it...

I was just thinking, reading this story, that a lot of people took great risk in expecting Roger to win that QF match, including this reporter!  

Translated from French for you

L'illustré in Federer's
Footsteps

Photographer Corinne Dubreuil took pictures of the Champion especially for our magazine.

On February 16 in Rotterdam, Roger Federer, magic, became the oldest number one in the world. Our photographer Corinne Dubreuil and our journalist Marc David were there for reporting on the event and an exclusive photo shoot.

By Marc David - L'Illustré
20 février 2018

The two great 'number 1' in sagex (styrofoam/polystyrene foam) had been fashioned, with much love, by a graphic designer from L'illustré.  There was a big one and a little one, and my mission was to bring them into the agile arms of the one, we sensed, was going to become on that day the oldest number one of the tennis world: Roger Federer, 36 years old.  On February 16, the Baseler only needed to reach the quarter-finals of the tournament in Rotterdam to once again occupy the king's throne he last held in November 2012.

After a multitude of peregrinations to transport these ultra-inconvenient objects through the airports - with as password the name of Federer... - I entered the Ahoy Arena, the stadium of 15 000 spectators, with the white number 1 under my arm to watch the game.

Credit: Corinne Dubreuil

Then, we needed to wait.  Federer defeated the Dutchman Robin Haase at precisely 9:02 pm, but he did not appear for the photoshoot of L'Illustré, duly negotiated but still uncertain, until around midnight.  It was worth the wait.  Delighted, the champion immediately grabbed the big white number.  He played with it, hugged it like a friend, and even took it to the players' restaurant to take pictures with his close friends, including his coach Séverin Lüthi, who came to visit him by surprise.

Federer, Ljubicic and Lüthi were so happy with the shooting that they posted the photos on their Instagram profiles (below) and the champion did not forget to autograph the big No.1 for you, the readers of L'illustré.

The next days, he beat Seppi and Dimitrov and won the tournament, the 97th of his career.  "I'll never forget this week," he confessed.

You will find the story of these exceptional days in our edition that will be out on the newsstands tomorrow, February 21st. Eloquent and friendly, Federer talks about his future projects.  He also expresses his admiration for the success of the Swiss at the Olympic Winter Games.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:48 pm

^^^
Do you know if it is possible to buy just one nr. of the magazine?
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:40 am

Visit the Laureus Awards 2018 thread for the list of nominees and details/comments about the Laureus awards.

Roger Federer to attend Laureus awards rather than compete in Dubai Championships

By  Matthew Treadwell - Skysports  

Last Updated: 23/02/18 10:41pm

Roger Federer has decided to attend the Laureus awards ceremony in Monte Carlo rather than take up a wild card invitation to next week's Dubai Championships.

Tournament director Salah Talhak has confirmed Federer, the oldest man to be ranked No 1 in the world, will not feature in the United Arab Emirates event.

Talhak is confident the seven-time champion intends to play the event in 2019, however.

"I understand and I believe whatever's good for him is good for us. You can't really push him more," Talhak told Sport360.

"Had he not won in Rotterdam he would have definitely come here."

Federer has tweeted his intention to travel to Monte Carlo next Tuesday to attend the Laureus awards ceremony where he is again a nominee.

"Excited to be heading to Monaco for the @LaureusSport Awards! Good luck to all the Nominees - see you next week #Laureus18," he tweeted.

Federer cannot lose the world number one spot next week, even if Rafael Nadal wins the ATP 500 in Acapulco.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:41 am

Márcia wrote:^^^

Both the paper version and epaper are offered only by subscription online and it's for Swiss residents only!  Shocked

There was however this mentioned about an App for iPad:
"Pour les non-abonnés qui souhaiteraient consulter le e-Paper, nous vous invitons à télécharger l'application iPad de L'Illustré qui vous propose les e-Papers de chaque édition en paiement à l'unité." I can't test it as I don't have an iPad!  Wink Gif

This is the link:  L'Illustre for iPad

I suppose, the best would be to get one of our friendly Swiss fans here to buy one and mail it to you Question Laughing
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 am

^^^
Thank you, cromar Wink Gif

I normally do it with my friends in France, who buy for me a lot of newspapers, magazines... Poor friends! Me neither, I don't have an iPad. I will try any other solution. Argh!!!!! Roger!
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Cromar wrote:

Both the paper version and epaper are offered only by subscription online and it's for Swiss residents only!  Shocked

There was however this mentioned about an App for iPad:
"Pour les non-abonnés qui souhaiteraient consulter le e-Paper, nous vous invitons à télécharger l'application iPad de L'Illustré qui vous propose les e-Papers de chaque édition en paiement à l'unité." I can't test it as I don't have an iPad!  Wink Gif

This is the link:  L'Illustre for iPad

I suppose, the best would be to get one of our friendly Swiss fans here to buy one and mail it to you Question Laughing

Cromar, is it possible for you to scan and post the pages here for us to read?
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by oldlady Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Marcia,
Check your PMs...
oldlady
oldlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:59 pm

ph∞be wrote:

Cromar, is it possible for you to scan and post the pages here for us to read?

I don't have the magazine... I live in Canada!   The pictures of L'Illustre posted here were found on Twitter. I wish I did have it, mind you. Wink Gif
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:00 am

^^^^^
For some reason I thought you had Swiss connections!!
Any of our Swiss friends able to scan the pages in?
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 am

I do a bit, I have a Swiss Flag passport!  Laughing   I may ask my sister to send me a copy, but it may take a while...
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:03 pm

For a light review of what has been happening with Roger over the last couple of months, these are the notes from Tennis.Life and Stephanie Myles (published after the Rotterdam QF):  

Tag: Roger Federer...   by Tennis.Life

However long Federer plays and whatever he ends up doing, it’s unlikely he’ll retire and become a professional surfer. But despite being up to his knees in the water, not a hair out of place.  Giggle
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum