Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018

+7
oldlady
Márcia
federerworshipper
Kop8zky
ph∞be
Cromar
Sherl
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Normal Re: The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018

Post by Cromar Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:35 am

Oh, Roger! Smile

Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 am

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by oldlady Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:54 am

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 ZtykybThe Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 ZtykybThe Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 ZtykybWell done Roger!!! Congratulations for a successful evening on all plans!!!The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 ZtykybThe Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 ZtykybThe Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 Ztykyb
oldlady
oldlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 am

Couldn't watch it, looks like it was fun! King
Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:27 am

^^^
I watched it, but so late... I don't know how was all the evening (I hope someone will write here about it). At Roger's fb, live, there was the "match". It was fun, but so short! I imagine there were others things at the night.

I hope Roger could raise a lot of money to the Foundation.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by mariah1 Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:48 am

I couldn't see the match live, it was too early in the morning, but thankfully Eurosport will show the event in about a half an hour, lucky me Smile
mariah1
mariah1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Márcia wrote:^^^
I watched it, but so late... I don't know how was all the evening (I hope someone will write here about it). At Roger's fb, live, there was the "match". It was fun, but so short! I imagine there were others things at the night.

I hope Roger could raise a lot of money to the Foundation.

They had the entire show on FB and it's still there... the video is over 3 hours!

Here is the link to (re)watch the Match for Africa 5 show - Doubles match followed by the singles with Jack Sock: https://www.facebook.com/Federer/videos/10156122630764941/

Be sure to watch at around 25:00, if you don't watch the whole thing - a real funny exchange at the net with Jack, with Roger on his knees. That got me bursting out laughing! LOL Flag

They do pause from time to time to ask for donation for Roger's foundation, but on the replay you can fast forward. There was also a bit of a wait between the doubles and singles matches when they talked about the foundation.

Both matches were a lot of fun. Roger got in a bit of trouble at the beginning of the match against Jack Sock, but recovered to win the tie-break!
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:01 pm

cromar, I watched all the "doubles match". The moment you talk about was really funny, Roger almost playing lying down on the court. But after the doubles, they began showing the texts about the Match For Africa and the Foundation, I thought the live coverage was over. Stupid me. Mad But also it was really late here in Brasil (almost 2am), so... I went to bed.

I'll watch the whole match tonight after the football. I hope it will stay at fb a bit longer. Do we know how much money (in total, the donations + the tickets) Roger could raise?
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:00 pm

I taped the event last night since it was too late to watch live on a work night. I'll watch the replay tonight.

From what I read, the event raised more than 2.5 million!
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:30 pm

And after the SABR, we now have the KABR... Knee attack by Roger!
The hilarious sequence of exchange at the net... Roger on his knees, hitting the ball back to Jack Sock! Laughing Pacman

Watch the KABR here, plus Roger being schooled by a ball girl!   Hee hee  

> FUNNY MOMENTS:

> Extended highlights: Lots of great shots during those matches and some real fun tennis!

DOUBLES (13:26): Roger Federer/Bill Gates vs Sock/Guthrie

SINGLES (10:14): Jack Sock vs Roger

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 pm

So much fun!!
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Really enjoyed this caper!!!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by mariah1 Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:55 am

It was maybe one of the funniest Roger's exhos. Roger is getting dorker and dorker, such a sweet man ! Hee hee Laughing Pacman
mariah1
mariah1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Roger gets to write on Bill Gates' blog - quite an honor, I would think!  Love the "G.O.A.T Giving"!   Sunny

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 Gatesnotes-logo

The blog of Bill Gates

G.O.A.T. Giving

What tennis and philanthropy have in common

By Roger Federer | March 6, 2018  

Last night I got to do what every tennis fan dreams of: play on the same side of the court as the greatest tennis player of all time. Roger Federer and I teamed up at the Match for Africa in San Jose. We managed to defend our title from last year, although TODAY Show host Savannah Guthrie and top ranked American player Jack Sock were tough opponents (especially late in the set).

The Match for Africa raises money for the Roger Federer Foundation, an organization that helps improve education for low-income kids. I asked Roger to write about his journey from tennis player to philanthropist. I hope you enjoy what he has to say. – Bill

At the age of 22, I was an established tennis player with a first Grand Slam title in my pocket and on the way to becoming number 1 in the world. But just having professional success wasn’t enough. This was the moment I asked myself: how do I want to develop on a personal level?

I knew I wanted to support children living in poverty by starting my own foundation. From a very young age, I had the deep wish to give back to people who are less privileged than I am. My mother comes from South Africa, and I grew up seeing extreme poverty firsthand. During holidays spent in that region visiting family, I became aware at an early age that not all children enjoyed the same privileges I had growing up in a rich country like Switzerland. That’s why I founded the Roger Federer Foundation in 2003, beginning an exciting and educational journey.

I quickly realized that becoming a good philanthropist isn’t easy. The will to give back is not enough on its own. In the foundation’s early years, we were less rigorous about what we funded, and we quickly realized that we couldn’t measure whether we were having an impact or not. If we really wanted to change children’s lives in a tangible and sustainable way, we needed to go about it in a much more professional and strategic manner.

We had to assess how we could most effectively help children break the cycle of poverty as well as nurture their potential. One of the best ways to achieve this is by focusing on education. The Roger Federer Foundation has therefore concentrated its investments on improving the quality of education in existing educational institutions for children aged 3 to 12 in Southern Africa and Switzerland.

It’s been nearly 15 years since I created my foundation, and I’ve learned a lot about philanthropy since then. The first lesson I learned was that empowerment is crucial if you want to change things in a sustainable manner.

When I visit our programs in rural Africa, I am always inspired to see how incredibly strong and committed the local population is. In the middle of one of the poorest regions in the world, mothers do everything to provide school meals for the children every day, and fathers build new classrooms where their children can learn and perform better. Beneficiaries must always be in the driver’s seat to take responsibility in every initiative. My foundation concentrates on mobilizing and empowering local communities to initiate a process that increases the quality of education. Through mentorship, they can start to understand that a better future lies in their own hands and that through a joint effort they can achieve sustainable change.

I’ve also learned that there is no simple recipe for success in philanthropy and that success does not come automatically. Achieving sustainable change is complex and depends on many external factors, challenges, and risks. It demands time, flexibility, and expertise. You need to understand dynamics on the ground and react to threats and opportunities. This is why we closely collaborate with local partner organizations and why we established a regional office in South Africa. We are constantly learning and doing our best to adapt our programs accordingly.

Philanthropy, like tennis, demands time and discipline. We follow a strict system of checks and balances and an effective project management cycle. Transparency, measurability, and evaluation of our engagement are also fundamental. And we try to achieve all this in the most cost-efficient manner. More than 92 percent of the Foundation’s expenditures flow into the countries and programs, and this is a metric that we are extremely proud of.

Sooner or later, the moment will come when my tennis career is done and I have more time to spend with my foundation. I definitely look forward to being able to travel more often to Africa, visit our programs, and raise more money for our cause. Of course, there will be challenges along the way—but I hope to grow in my knowledge and experience every day. Becoming a good philanthropist is a never-ending journey.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by oldlady Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:50 pm

^^^
Cromar,
Thank you very much for this and for all your other posts, the charts that I most appreciate and keeping us informed and up to date with Roger, if it is his tennis or his other activities. As I'm not a great 'internet compatible' I lack the 'know-how' and I would never be able to find all the information that you 'collect' for us and post here.  
Thanks again!
The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 30wnw5tThe Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 30wnw5tThe Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 30wnw5t
oldlady
oldlady

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 pm

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 DXxfCWtWAAA1SQi

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 DXxfDnbXcAAUGCK

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 DXxObqEX0AYBEl8

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 DXw58tqXUAAAVN7

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 DXw1JgrWsAAfYGV

Roger parents at the Match for Africa

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 DX3YXyrX4AMFbHI

Roger at the Press Conference wearing a new T-Shirt

The Match for Africa 5, San Jose, Cal. - March 5, 2018  - Page 2 DX3ZK1bWsAIqmha
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum