Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2017

+46
forummember
oldlady
striker
Kop8zky
federerworshipper
skumars
Indybeck71
Márcia
Cromar
Matarsakolito
Lucycanada
InspiredTennis
FedFFL
Sparkle
Federite
MaxUS
UES
angellT
cappucc19o
vrazkar
StrongerThanAll
anutam
fedled
Rufus1
Marcizio14
michelle88
oldfan
tvradke
RMGuillot
Loti
schneewitchen
Katarina_YYZ
avasbar
RogerNo.1
ph∞be
LaRubia
Vinnie
cornnn92
cat29
norinchi
Sherl
wcr
Aprilp20n
mariah1
Steerpike60
Lil_Jay
50 posters

Page 23 of 39 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 39  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2017

Post by Márcia Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 pm

InspiredTennis wrote:I liked this article from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/17/roger-federer-wimbledon-record-class-apart

........While this was his 19th grand slam victory, another record, few would bet against more coming his way. For even now, in the autumn of his career, he stands tallest of all. The eternal – and the immovable.

I only could read it today. So beautiful article. The eternal - and the immovable.

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Normal Rolex Shanghai Masters 2017

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Roger will be in Shanghai, as he tells us in... Chinese!  Razz

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 pm

"What year is this?", Christopher Clarey asks!  We are all wondering, actually...

Has "Back to the Future - Part IV" just been released?  8)  

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal Duel, Once Again, for Supremacy

By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY  - The New York Times
JULY 17, 2017

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 23 18CLAREYweb1-master768
Roger Federer after winning his eighth men’s singles title at Wimbledon on Sunday. Credit Julian Finney/Getty Images  

WIMBLEDON, England — Three Grand Slam tournaments down, one to go, and the only men who have won major singles titles are Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

What year is this?

“2005?” Federer ventured, suppressing a giggle, in a Tennis Channel interview on Sunday night.

A better guess would have been 2006 or 2007. But this continues to be a time-warp season, at least in the men’s game, one where you could have skipped a decade of tennis to build a business, tuned back in and felt thoroughly up to speed except for wondering what those four young children were doing in the front row of Federer’s box at Wimbledon on Sunday.

Yes, there have been some life changes (Federer and his wife, Mirka, now have two sets of twins). But the on-court news still rings very familiar.

There was Nadal last month crushing the field on red clay to win his record 10th French Open. There was Federer this month gliding across the grass and outclassing the opposition to win his record eighth Wimbledon title.

Neither dropped a set along the way, and now the 31-year-old Nadal and the just-about-36-year-old Federer are in position for a days-of-yore duel for the No. 1 ranking. It still belongs to Andy Murray but probably will not for long given the state of Murray’s hip and the mother lode of points he has to defend before the end of the season.

So bring on the United States Open, the year’s final Grand Slam tournament and the only major tournament in which Nadal and Federer have never faced each other. It begins Aug. 28, and Federer is already the bookmakers’ favorite.

Who can blame them? He was the pretournament favorite at Wimbledon, too.

He can obviously handle the burden, but it is no doubt less magical to win when many expect it than when nobody expects it, which was how he won the Australian Open in January.

“It felt like a fairy tale,” he said of Australia on Monday morning at the All England Club, looking a little groggy after partying with a large group of friends and finally going to bed at 5 a.m.

“My head is ringing; I don’t know what I did last night,” he said, his baritone voice a note or two lower than usual. “I just drank too many types of drinks, I guess.”

Federer presumably will be as smart as usual about recovery even if he admits that he is eager for more matches after spending much of the last year rehabilitating his postoperative knee, doing fitness work or practicing.

He has picked his spots and tournaments beautifully, however, which is how he is ranked No. 3 despite playing just seven tour events in the last 12 months.

Federer also has no points to defend the rest of the year. He is No. 2 in the 2017 points race, behind Nadal, who has 7,095 points to Federer’s 6,545. Nobody else is close, certainly not Murray or Novak Djokovic, the two men who — way back in January — were expected to dominate the season.

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 23 18CLAREYweb2-master675
Rafael Nadal after winning his record 10th French Open in June. Credit David Vincent/Associated Press  

Neither has reached the final of a major tournament this year, and it is unclear when they will play again with Murray’s hip a big concern and Djokovic’s right elbow pain serious enough to force him to retire in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon.

Djokovic said the elbow had been an intermittent problem for about 18 months and he was expected to seek medical advice in the United States. His wife, Jelena, is due to give birth to their second child in early September, and some in Djokovic’s camp would not be surprised to see him skip the rest of the season.

Some savvy outsiders agree, even if the consensus is that the equation that works for Federer (long break = Grand Slam title) will work for precious few.

“Roger’s fortunate because of the way he plays and his hand-eye coordination,” said Pat Cash, a former Wimbledon champion now coaching Coco Vandeweghe. “He can get away with that, but I don’t think a lot of players could do that. But it makes sense for someone like Novak. He should take six months off.”

That only makes sense if the elbow problem is serious or requires surgery. Djokovic did look motivated and focused again at Wimbledon. But for now, Federer is ahead of Djokovic in the rankings for the first time since November 2012.

He has yet to face Djokovic or Murray in 2017, and it is possible he will not have to face either of them at any stage this season. It does seem for Federer as if all the stars have aligned (or are too hurting to line up), even if that is not a theme he embraces.

“Not really,” he said on Sunday night. “I thought Andy and Novak were going to continue. Novak, one year ago, was holding all four Slams, and Andy went on this unbelievable run. And that’s why my mind-set coming back was this is going to be rough. Novak was on top of the world. Rafa was going to come back strong. I thought I might have runs and go deep maybe, but then maybe I’m at the mercy at the end of Rafa or Andy or somebody.”

For now, the only two men to beat him in 2017 are Evgeny Donskoy and Tommy Haas. Donskoy was a qualifier ranked No. 116 when he upset Federer by winning a third-set tiebreaker in the second round in the United Arab Emirates on March 1. Haas was a wild card ranked No. 302 when he beat Federer, 2-6, 7-6 [8], 6-4, in Federer’s opening round in Stuttgart, Germany, last month.

But Federer is undefeated against the top 100 and a phenomenal 25-0 in Grand Slam and Masters 1000 play. So where is the next generation?

Alexander Zverev, 20 years old and ranked No. 11, is its clear leader. Nick Kyrgios, 22, remains a fire that can blow out too quickly. But Federer wonders about it, too, speculating that the current ranking points structure makes it harder for new talent to rise but also pointing out that the new wave lacks variety.

“I wish we’d see more players and coaches taking chances at net, because good things do happen at net, but you have to spend time up there to feel confident up there,” he said.

Even Federer served-and-volleyed on only 16 percent of his service points at Wimbledon, but that was still well above the tournament average of 7 percent.

“In any case, the race for No. 1 will go through us,” he said of himself and Nadal. “Unless someone like Novak wins 25 or 30 matches at the end of the year, which is of course possible. He and Murray have done it before.”

Federer also said he would not become caught up in chasing the year-end No. 1 ranking if it comes at taking chances with his body. “I think maybe getting there for just one week anytime would make me just as happy,” he said. “That’s my feeling. To be No. 1 again would be something totally unexpected for me.”

He has not been there since 2012, which brings us back to the same question.

What year is this?

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 pm

I ordered already Tennis Magazine. And really pleased reading Marianne Bevis.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Matarsakolito Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:00 am

From the PARIS REVIEW on JULY 20th 2017-- another great one.

The Fall and Rise of Roger Federer
By Rowan Ricardo Phillips July 20, 2017

The year 2016 ended for Roger Federer on a Friday, July 8. In the fifth set of his semifinal match at Wimbledon, he found himself sprawled out along his service line, face down, ruefully lifting his left leg slightly up and slowly letting it back down, as if to prove to the shocked and silent crowd that he was still alive.

Even when he had been ahead in the match against Milos Raonic of Canada, Federer looked weary. In the fourth set, he double faulted not once but twice, ending any hope for a classic. Raonic—six feet five inches of muscle topped with a Clark Kent hairdo—is an elite-grade version of the typical North American thumper: a thunderous serve, a strong but finicky forehand, and a two-handed backhand right out of an instruction manual; yet he approaches the net like it’s an electric fence. Federer had spent his career feasting on this type of player.

But not lately. He hadn’t won a title all season; he had knee surgery earlier in the year; he skipped the French Open entirely. These days he seemed more gaunt than gracile, more canny than casually assured. Now and then, he would see what the other player didn’t, couldn’t. At such moments—half volleys in 2015 and overhead backhand smashes in 2014—his fans rejoiced in their nostalgia. David Foster Wallace’s Federer essay would make rounds on the Internet like uncorked champagne. For those of us his age, who grew up with Marlon Brando in Superman, Alec Guinness in Star Wars, Laurence Olivier in Clash of the Titans, it was familiar and fine, though we didn’t know why. He slowed, but slowed like a dangerous panther. He staged strange suicide missions to the net on his opponents’ second serves. His game—a sexy hybrid of tennis in black-and-white, tennis in standard definition and tennis in 3-D—looked good in defeat. Other players grunted, lunged, sprinted into swinging splits, found the worn patch on a grass surface to buckle over, the drizzle-slicked white line to slip on. Not Federer. In his tennis dotage, he was like a Fabergé egg spinning on a tabletop because it could.

And then at Wimbledon he fell. And he didn’t just fall. He looked like your uncle doing the robot and having it all go wrong. If you saw that match live, you knew then that it was over.

Except it wasn’t. He started off the 2017 season ranked seventeenth in the world. Since then, he’s won thirty-one matches and lost two. He skipped Paris again this year, not because of injury but because he could afford to. Clay wears on the body, and besides, why let Rafa Nadal take your measure on his sovereign surface, the dirt? Federer shedded, waiting for Wimbledon like Christmas morning.

By the time he got there, he was seeded fourth. He looked sharp, dangerous, healthy, his game kaleidoscopic. At the start of week two, Djokovic, the second seed, withdrew with an injured arm. Nadal lost to thirty-four-year-old Gilles Müller and the defending champion, Andy Murray, succumbed in the quarters to American Sam Querrey and a bad hip. Suddenly, Federer’s 2017 Wimbledon became something else entirely. It became a revenge tour.

Federer cruised to the quarterfinals, where he faced Raonic again. Raonic dug in, threw everything he had at Federer, and still lost in straight sets. In the semifinal, Federer faced the player who had knocked him out of the 2010 Wimbledon quarterfinal, Tomas Berdych. This time, Federer gut checked him to the duck-season-duck-season-rabbit-season tune of 7–6(4), 7–6(4), 6–4. After the match, Berdych was asked if the 2017 version of Federer is better than the 2010, to which he replied, “There is no way to prove this, if we can measure it, if he’s better or not. He’s playing just too good.”

In the final, Federer again faced Cilic, who had beaten him in the 2014 U.S. Open. He went the entire tournament without losing a single set. Cilic wept after the second set, realizing that the foot blister he carried over from his semifinal hadn’t magically healed. Blister or no, he had no clear path to attacking Federer, and Federer knew it. The pinprick-size holes in Federer’s game, the ones that Nadal and Djokovic learned to pry open, seem gone now. But that’s not to say Federer healed both his body and his game. He seems to have healed his body and changed his game.

Tennis is a kinetic and rather lonely kind of problem solving. How do you solve for Federer? Serve as though your life depends on it, push him back with high balls to his backhand, make him not only play but also think defensively and, if any of those happen to work, floor it and don’t look back. But he pushes back as hard now as he ever has when he gets a second serve to his backhand. He hits the backhand with topspin and space resolutely from the baseline, exclusively from the baseline, as though he’d been told the world was flat and ended there. So much so that any ball that bounces at the baseline, the type of ball that even a professional would sensibly take a few steps back to hit at knee level, he plays as a difficult half volley that he makes look easy; to hit these with intention, in rhythm, again and again against top professionals, should be practically unthinkable, and yet they have become typical rally strokes in his game. Every point is about finding the first strike as soon as possible. He takes no time between serves. Rather strangely at his age—he’ll be thirty-six shortly—he has sped things up while making the court smaller. It is his younger opponents—a chagrined Cilic but the latest—who seem starved for time and space.

Rowan Ricardo Phillips’s most recent collection of poems is Heaven. He is the recipient of the 2013 PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award, a 2013 Whiting Award, a 2015 Guggenheim Fellowship, and the 2016 Anisfield-Wolf Book Award

Matarsakolito

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:51 am

Still no confirmation from Roger about Montreal.

Roger Federer Reveals His Plans, will have a “Busy Season” lined up

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 23 Skysports-tennis-grand-slam-wimbledon-roger-federer_4001842-620x380

sportstalk24
July 19, 2017

Roger Federer will have a busy schedule in the second half of the season. The Swiss player is unsure about playing in Montreal, but he plans to definitely play Cincinnati, US Open, Laver Cup in Prague, Shanghai, Basel, probably Paris Bercy and ATP Finals in London.

As always, in China he will play only one tournament: in Shanghai, the eighth Masters 1000 event of the season, he will try to win his second title after winning the 2014 final against Gilles Simon.

Last year he wasn’t there due to injury, and he decided to announce his sixth appearance in the Chinese event, where he also reached a final in 2010 losing to Andy Murray.

Last time he played, in 2015, Federer lost to the Spaniard Albert Ramos in his first match. He hopes to have a better results this year.

Federer will be there at US Open & if Federer closes out the season by winning the US Open for the first time since 2008 and snares a staggering 20th Grand Slam title, some might wonder what is left for him to achieve in a record-setting career.

“What keeps me going? I don’t know, I love to play,” Federer said. “I have a wonderful team. My wife’s totally fine with me still playing; she’s my No. 1 supporter. She’s amazing.

“Yeah, I love playing the big stages still. I don’t mind the practice. I don’t mind the travel. Because I’m playing a little less, I actually get more time in return. I feel like I’m working part time these days almost, which is a great feeling.”

Andy Murray to Play at China Open

Andy Murray will try to defend his title at the China Open, Beijing, ATP 500 event that will be played from 2 to 8 October 2017. The World No. 1 will make his fourth appearance there, and just last year he got his best result winning the title.

Andy who is still struggling with hip injury,  doesn’t intend to take a long break from competition due to hip injury. He looked uncertain for the North American hard-court season where he is committed to play Montreal, Cincinnati and US Open.

Murray joins Nadal in the field, and many top players, maybe Novak Djokovic as well, could be announced in the next few weeks. ‘I am going to be coming back again this year in October to the China Open’, Murray said through a short statement.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by UES Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Matarsakolito wrote:From the PARIS REVIEW on JULY 20th 2017-- another great one.

But that’s not to say Federer healed both his body and his game. He seems to have healed his body and changed his game.

Tennis is a kinetic and rather lonely kind of problem solving. How do you solve for Federer? Serve as though your life depends on it, push him back with high balls to his backhand, make him not only play but also think defensively and, if any of those happen to work, floor it and don’t look back. But he pushes back as hard now as he ever has when he gets a second serve to his backhand. He hits the backhand with topspin and space resolutely from the baseline, exclusively from the baseline, as though he’d been told the world was flat and ended there. So much so that any ball that bounces at the baseline, the type of ball that even a professional would sensibly take a few steps back to hit at knee level, he plays as a difficult half volley that he makes look easy; to hit these with intention, in rhythm, again and again against top professionals, should be practically unthinkable, and yet they have become typical rally strokes in his game. Every point is about finding the first strike as soon as possible. He takes no time between serves. Rather strangely at his age—he’ll be thirty-six shortly—he has sped things up while making the court smaller. It is his younger opponents—a chagrined Cilic but the latest—who seem starved for time and space.

Rowan Ricardo Phillips’s most recent collection of poems is Heaven. He is the recipient of the 2013 PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award, a 2013 Whiting Award, a 2015 Guggenheim Fellowship, and the 2016 Anisfield-Wolf Book Award

Terrific piece.

UES

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:24 am

Thanx for the articles folks.
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by cappucc19o Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks to Cromar & everyone for all the wondeRFul articles! Very Happy

I love the clever use of 8 in Tennis Magazine & the 19 connection too! Wink Gif
cappucc19o
cappucc19o

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerNo.1 Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Cromar wrote:Roger's sponsors are pretty happy these days!...  Very Happy

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 23 DE9lsk0VwAEbsCY

That trophy looks small. I thought they get a full sized trophy. Or is that the US Open that gives the full sized trophy?
RogerNo.1
RogerNo.1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Since 2007, they get a three-quarter size replica at Wimbledon, but it used to be even smaller before (half-size). I recall Roger trying to have a full size replica made up. Don't know if he ever succeeded in getting permission from Wimbledon?

At the US Open, they do get a full-size replica. But it's not all perfect either, according to Roger:
I like the trophy (US Open) and I'm happy when you win it, you get a same sized replica,” Federer said. “I just I wish it also had engravements of all the previous winners.” Federer further added, “I will speak at the tournament that one day I will get them all done.

It is important because personally, I love tennis history and I would like to see who has won in the past." "The original ones has names on it and the one that we get doesn’t. So even if we get a replica, we feel like it's an original one, not just a duplicate.”

Here is a bit of trivia about the Wimbledon trophy:

By the way, did anyone know the real title of the Wimbledon champion?... A bit of a mouth full!  Wink Gif    

The Cup, which is made of silver gilt, stands 18 inches high and has a diameter of 7.5 inches. The inscription on the Cup reads:

"The All England Lawn Tennis Club Single Handed Championship of the World".  

Around the bowl are engraved the dates and names of the Champions.

In 2009, there being no space left to engrave the names of the Champions, a black plinth with an ornamented silver band was designed to accompany the Cup.

The Champions receive a three-quarter size replica of the Cup bearing the names of all past Champions (height 13.5 inches).

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 23 B_00_Trophies_117_AELTC_JB

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:27 pm

UES wrote:
Matarsakolito wrote:From the PARIS REVIEW on JULY 20th 2017-- another great one.

But that’s not to say Federer healed both his body and his game. He seems to have healed his body and changed his game.

Terrific piece.

Roger pretty much explained to the up-and-comers how to play him and the top guys within hours of his Wimbledon triumph:  Be aggressive!  Move forward!  Master the volley! The author of this piece must have missed the biggest message in tennis today not found anywhere but this and rf.com forums where a couple of us have been talking about it for YEARS!
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerNo.1 Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for the trivia re. the cup Cromar.
RogerNo.1
RogerNo.1

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 pm

What a fantastic pod cast
The Tennis Podcast: The Roger Federer story Catherine Whittaker and David Law

http://aca.st/2443c3
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks ph∞be! Spent a pleasant hour listening to David Law stories about Roger's early tennis life!  Didn't know he was such a fan of Roger! Very Happy

Note: This is the link to download the Roger Federer Story Podcast - Couldn't listen to it on the website...

Download Posdcast (mp3) : Watch for the bar at the bottom of the screen to Open or Save the download file.

Embarassed

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:36 am

Ive just spent the whole day driving and this is a real treat to relax to as I catch up with you all.
Thanks so much Phoebe. Smile
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 39 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum