Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2017

+46
forummember
oldlady
striker
Kop8zky
federerworshipper
skumars
Indybeck71
Márcia
Cromar
Matarsakolito
Lucycanada
InspiredTennis
FedFFL
Sparkle
Federite
MaxUS
UES
angellT
cappucc19o
vrazkar
StrongerThanAll
anutam
fedled
Rufus1
Marcizio14
michelle88
oldfan
tvradke
RMGuillot
Loti
schneewitchen
Katarina_YYZ
avasbar
RogerNo.1
ph∞be
LaRubia
Vinnie
cornnn92
cat29
norinchi
Sherl
wcr
Aprilp20n
mariah1
Steerpike60
Lil_Jay
50 posters

Page 6 of 39 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22 ... 39  Next

Go down

Normal I rarely tweet but I did last night...nice note from Roger

Post by Vinnie Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:50 am

This is my contribution to the "News" thread Smile Or should it go in Social Media?

Roger Federer liked your Tweet.

Vinnie Richards @FedererLive
https://twitter.com/VINIRichards

Roger Federer ‏@FedererLive 18 days since #RF18.

Vinnie

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2017

Post by Vinnie Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 am

avasbar wrote:
vinny wrote:Meh. Blatant plug for this book.

Well I hope you realise I've no vested interest.  

avasbar,

I'm sorry about that...none of my rant was directed at you or anyone else. It was jmho.
Vinnie
Vinnie

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:41 am

No, it's cool Vinny,

It stimulated the discussion, which was what I was after.
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Joker
Vinnie wrote:This is my contribution to the "News" thread Smile Or should it go in Social Media?

VR:

After the past few years of your supplementing any Roger Federer forum with nothing less than brilliant, detailed, imaginative commentary, Roger 'likes' your graphic message.  When it comes to the less-is-more divinity of Roger's game, so might one conclude the same goes for his preferred reading material.  Cartoons! Joker Laughing

-wcr
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:26 am

Oh, Roger!   Very Happy  He is really enjoying this one... still!!   King

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 6 C4_B7agUEAASvOC

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 6 C4_AA_cUMAAwZYw

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 6 C4_C_sBUoAA5MAw

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 6 C4_B7agUEAASvOC
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2017 will always be my favorite slam

Post by Vinnie Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:04 pm

wcr wrote: Joker
Vinnie wrote:This is my contribution to the "News" thread Smile Or should it go in Social Media?

VR:

After the past few years of your supplementing any Roger Federer forum with nothing less than brilliant, detailed, imaginative commentary, Roger 'likes' your graphic message.  When it comes to the less-is-more divinity of Roger's game, so might one conclude the same goes for his preferred reading material.  Cartoons! Joker  Laughing

-wcr

wcr,

I agree and I laughed. I think I remember some effort by Roger to send tweets that were just emoticons maybe a year or so ago. I have tweeted maybe 10 times in my life and it's only ever been to give a shout out to Roger. The PM was nice too (I put that in the title of my post here...where no one looks I guess).

Also, I may get access to an article about Fed Fans to bring to this thread soon. Someone from the old forum gave my name to a certain tennis journalist based in London the day after the AO. He's writing a piece on what makes Fed Fans tick and he wanted to interview fans from across the world. Anyway, he got my name and contacted me, and then we skyped for about a 1 hour interview.

I figured nothing ever came from it, but yesterday he followed up with me to do some fact checking about my Grandfather's HOF stats along with a few things regarding Bill Tilden. I got him the information and he said he would send me a draft when it's time to publish. So as soon as I see it..or find it in print...I'll post it here.

Cheers, Vinnie
Vinnie
Vinnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilp20n Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:05 am

^^ amazing VR! Can't wait to read that piece!

Saw a lot of photos of Roger in Prague today promoting Lavers Cup. He simply looks stunning!
Aprilp20n
Aprilp20n

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle88 Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 am

Good news! Roger has signed a new contract with Basel for three years. Seems like he intends to play at least until 2019. Music to my ears!

Link for all the Swiss German speaking people on here: http://www.blick.ch/sport/tennis/neuer-drei-jahresvertrag-mit-basel-roger-federer-spielt-mindestens-bis-2019-id6256150.html
michelle88
michelle88

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerNo.1 Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:39 pm

^^^^

as optimistic as it sounds, I'm pretty sure there would be a clause in that contract letting him out of it should he decide to re____ (I can't say the word). But it is a good sign. It means he intends to keep playing for as long as possible. His comment during his speech at the AO where he implied that he may or may not be back next year was a little disturbing. I've never heard him say something like that before and it made me think for the first time that the end may be on the horizon. Now I'm a little more confident. I think as long as he stays healthy and injury-free he will play for a long time still.
RogerNo.1
RogerNo.1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcizio14 Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 pm

Woo that is a good sign! If he stays injury-free for the next three years, who knows what can happen?
Marcizio14
Marcizio14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Great news! 8) The more Roger the better!
Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Roger was truly freaked out by that knee injury and having to have his first (and hopefully only) ever operation - he experienced knowing nothing is forever and nothing about his body can now be taken for granted. Only a couple of years ago he spoke about himself being young. Now he says what an old guy he is &etc.

Don't worry RogerNo1 - that's all that was on his mind when he said that at AO - he's repeated and explained it several times now, so nothing to be concerned about.

And Aprilpoon I'm really into textiles and thought that suit material was just gorgeous. and how does he manage to look 10 x smarter than anyone else? Money helps of course! The shoes were pretty funky too (I'm also really into mens shoes - yeah wierd, I know)

avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Normal Chris Clarey article with updates from Roger

Post by Rufus1 Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:53 pm

There is a new article from Chris Clarey out today - based on a phone interview with Roger yesterday in Prague.  (No reference to signing with the Basel tournament as a result.)

Title:  Retirement? Roger Federer, Still Celebrating, Says He’s Not Done Yet

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/sports/tennis/roger-federer-retirement-laver-cup.html?_r=0

highlights

- only briefly thought about immediate retirement
- returning to Dubai today (Tuesday)
- upper leg injury still an issue and he is not practising at 100%
- happy to have had a long period to enjoy the win
- details about how he took "Norman" to the top of the mountain and what it meant
- when compared to FO win this AO win was not a "meant to be" win and he explains why

Last paragraph/quote from Roger - retirement - not yet!!

“The goal, when I took my break of six months, was doing this for the next couple years, not just for one tournament,” Federer said. “I understand people who say, ‘Oh, this would be a perfect moment to go.’ But I feel like I’ve put in so much work, and I love it so much, and I still have so much in the tank.”

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by LaRubia Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:10 pm

RogerNo.1 wrote:
as optimistic as it sounds, I'm pretty sure there would be a clause in that contract letting him out of it should he decide to re____ (I can't say the word).

According to another Swiss newspaper the contract is a commitment and if Roger should decide not to fullfill the 3 years there won't be any contract consequences for him.
LaRubia
LaRubia

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle88 Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm sure if Roger wants or needs to retire he can get out of the commitment he made with the tournament, but it does show he intends to play for a few more years like he has been saying.

Thanks Rufus1 for the interview. Bummer the leg is still bothering him. Hope he can play Dubai next week.
michelle88
michelle88

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:02 pm

^^^^

All contracts are just that - commitments to play barring unforeseen circumstances - ie injury etc., or potentially retirement, in Roger's case at this point in his career.

What this contract does do however, is lock up his participation in Basel should he be in condition to play.  It means that he cannot negotiate with any other commitment during that timeslot - He will not play Vienna for example.  (Just like his lifetime contract with Halle means that he will not play Queen's Club while they are in the same weeks)

It is a win for the tournament - they know that if Roger is able, he will play the tournament and all the benefits that that brings to the organizers and fans - he has a track record of not withdrawing for anything other than medical circumstances.  If Roger has formally retired, then, of-course, he will not play.  He would no longer be part of the drug testing programme and that automatically precludes one from playing!!  If Roger is on a reduced playing schedule by the time he is 38 then I would expect this contract to be honoured - given that this is his home tournament with such strong ties, this would NOT be a tournament that he would cancel to reduce workload!!

It is a win for Swiss fans - they know that they can buy tickets when they are first issued and that Roger will participate unless injured/sick etc.  They have something fixed to look forward to.

It is a win for Roger because he now has something firm in place and will not have the stress of negotiating on a yearly basis.  Hopefully the hatchets are truly buried and Roger can simply enjoy himself for the rest of his career. I find it interesting that this is a term contract as opposed to the lifetime contract that he has with Halle.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 39 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum