Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2019

+16
EvaJoya
federerworshipper
Kop8zky
schneewitchen
norinchi
Veerke
Marly 103-20
Cheadlebeagle
striker
inzigia
Steerpike60
HeartoftheMatter
oldfan
Sherl
Márcia
Cromar
20 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2019

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 pm

fedled wrote:
Cromar wrote:Douglas Perry rebutal to Sarah Kaufman...

Roger Federer’s artistry ‘transcends tennis,’ but dance critic’s argument won’t end GOAT debate

By Douglas Perry | The Oregonian/OregonLive

It's been a long time since Douglas Perry wrote about tennis - these days he seems to be limited to things happening in Oregon that don't interest me at all.  But he used to follow Roger (in particular) and tennis (in general) and wrote a very good piece about him in 2011 that I downloaded, put on the old forum and kept the link.  Here it is ...

Roger Federer and the limits of imagination

https://blog.oregonlive.com/tennis/2011/11/roger_federer_and_the_limits_o.html

Don't agree with this assessment. As a matter of fact, I consider that it is the 'genius' part of his game and tennis ability that has increased.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Normal Roger's preternatural powers

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:23 pm

P.S.And just  a note to my comment above: Roger is as fast as the Dickens, when he is doing his "special out of the blue" shots, and he is as fast when it is the more routine chasing. P.S, That picture on the website page is an illustration. He is all or almost in the air, and his body positioning, the way his arms are held as though he is pulling power or putting it out, his momentum, while being in controlled: not to be seen, really, from anyone else.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:26 am

RF Tennis News 2019 - Page 7 Rohit1_1563513581694
Roger Federer sits court-side after losing to Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon final.  (AFP)

GAME THEORY

Opinion: The generosity of true sportsmen

19 Jul 2019
 Rohit D. Brijnath | livemint  

• Roger Federer and the New Zealand captain Kane Williamson’s press conferences after losing the Wimbledon and World Cup finals were lauded for their professionalism
  • Watching the press conferences was like a class on perspective, sporting loss and humanness

Transcripts of sporting interviews usually contain nothing but the spoken word. No mention of the speaker’s tone or volume. No reference to a frown, a nose-pick or the sneer of sarcasm. Read whatever you want into the words. But the stenographer makes one effort for the reader. Occasionally, they insert this after sentences:

(Smiling).

Perhaps to clarify the mood or illuminate a line.

(Smiling) is littered all over Kane Williamson’s post-World Cup final press conference. The New Zealand captain is gutted, beaten, worn out, but there are eight mentions of (smiling).

What extraordinary manner of man is this?

Question: Kane, a final like this, which thrilled us to the end, how does it raise the profile of the sport that is followed so widely across the world?

Williamson: Yeah, everybody loved it? The English loved it more than we did, I think (smiling). It was a brilliant game of cricket. Always a little bit bitter when you are on the right side of the result.

The stenographer is obviously not Kiwi, else they would know: In New Zealand, they pronounce “better" as “bitter".

In another part of London, postcode SW19, after an affecting brawl on a court with manicured 8mm-high grass, the mood appears a little more raw. Individual sport has a different heat, it always seems more personal, and there’s no one to lean on, blame, cry with. Still, even here there are two mentions of (smiling).

Roger Federer is asked to compare the quality of this final with 2008, and it’s like picking at an old scab, but he understands why the question comes, because 2008 against Rafael Nadal was a skilful jousting in the long shadows which no one forgets. So he answers about the 2008 rain delay and night falling and he pauses.

Then he resumes.

“I’m the loser both times, so that’s the only similarity I see (smiling)."

Federer is wearing a white tracksuit, a watch and his lips are initially pursed. He speaks for 16 minutes, 41 seconds, in various languages, a linguist in play and pain. Roughly 10 minutes and 20 seconds of his interview are in English and he speaks 997 words, scratches his nose and doesn’t flinch or sulk at a single inquiry.

Williamson has the beard of an ancient mariner and wears the half-smile of a man who suspects an awkward joke is being played on him. If you want to give his and Federer’s smile a place, you might say it lurks between wry and rueful. Williamson speaks 1,786 words, across nearly 15 minutes, and is a portrait in eloquent decency.

It is Tuesday morning and I am watching videos of their press conferences again, sifting through their transcripts, reading lines and between them, because—like you perhaps— I am so taken by these men. Grace is a precious thing.

If you haven’t already, watch those videos, it’s like attending a class on perspective, it’s a study in sporting loss, it’s a series of verbal snapshots of pain, resolve, misery, humanness. It’s Williamson never using the word “luck" and gently pushing away a question about whether the ricochet off Ben Stokes’ bat was a rule that should change. He just answers, and answers, because it’s his job, because he’s a leader, because people want immediate insight, all of us admirers but also voyeurs.

Let’s make copies of these videos and send them to schools, to young athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, teams. Youngsters need to appreciate every part of sport, especially this, the professionalism of showing up and looking the questioner in the eye. The strength that it requires to be honest, to let people glimpse your despair and also witness your conviction. On their worst days, the great athlete is only beaten, not broken.

RF Tennis News 2019 - Page 7 Rohit2_1563513649678
Kane Williamson at the press conference after the cricket World Cup final.

Federer insists that “for now it hurts and it should". He bares himself and says: “I don’t know what I feel right now. I just feel like it’s such an incredible opportunity missed, I can’t believe it." And yet, as athletes incredibly do, he finds positivity amidst the pieces, and says: “(You) take it on your chin, you move on. You try to forget, try to take the good things out of this match. There’s just tons of it."

Someone who doesn’t follow tennis asked, why do people like Federer? One reason is his generosity, his sustained willingness to be a tennis evangelist, his refusal to simply play and leave but in fact speak and expound, advertise his sport and clarify his craft. If he plays 75 matches a year, that means 75 post-match interviews for print writers, in multiple languages, plus radio and television, not to mention one-on-ones, and sometimes pre-event interviews, everyone scrambling for his minutes, assaulting him with familiar questions, and yet he makes an effort to provide a worthy answer.

And so he does on this day, praising Novak Djokovic’s backhand, discussing his schedule, but mostly being a willing participant in this autopsy of his heartbreak. Like Williamson, he’s given enough effort this day but here is more. And so both of them sit there, great athletes tripped by fickleness, toppled by a tiny margin, undone by their own frailties, not gods, just imperfect men bringing dignity to defeat. There is no better way to meet it.

Williamson’s final question is from a journalist who states he’s standing to ask the question because he respects the Kiwi. Then he appears to ask, rather amusingly but sweetly, if Williamson thinks everyone should be a gentleman like him.

“Everybody are allowed to be themselves," replies Williamson amidst some hilarity. “That is a good thing about the world. And everybody should be a little bit different as well. Really difficult question to answer. That is probably my best answer, just be yourself and try and enjoy what you do."

Then he rises to leave but stenographer has the last word.

(Laughter).

(Applause).

Rohit Brijnath is an assistant sports editor at The Straits Times, Singapore, and a co-author of Abhinav Bindra’s book, A Shot At History: My Obsessive Journey To Olympic Gold.

He tweets at @rohitdbrijnath

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:25 pm

cromar dear, it took tears from my eyes. What a beautiful article. Thank you!
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:19 pm

^^^^^
Thank you from me, too. What a delightful article.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:31 am

The Champ is getting ready! Sunny Thumbs up

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:59 pm

norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:39 pm

Looking good, Roger! It is like a message of hope....in many ways, to see you on the court and practicing!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 pm

Short vid of Roger practicing in Zurich yesterday.

IG Story samr.zh

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:34 pm

Smilerer of the day! Sunny

Instagram Barbara Haas - 4 hours ago

#Federer #Zurich

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:23 am

...sweet embraceable you.... Just a remembrance of a song, something about "come to me, my sweet embraceable you" came to mind seeing this picture of Roger, sharing "himself" with yet another fan or friend. ( For me, as much as I care for him, tennis, genius, and everything else....I would think of him more as a son...as I do have two sons, and a daughter. Yes, I was a near-child-bride. LOL Early beginnings.)
His natural good will and friendliness are always striking. He did say that he likes to be around people. For that, he has all the right qualities, too. And then there is this small matter of his TENNIS! Very Happy

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Where to go with Swiss Day? I was not aware that today was a special day for Switzerland! I wish everyone of Swiss descent well, and for the country as a whole. The government system is impressive, as are services for the population. Knowing Swiss efficiency, I am sure the care there is outstanding.
Bravo to Switzerland, [for having Roger Federer] and all the other people who live in such a society that tries to have no serious class differences nor centers of powers that could be exploited! His father is Swiss, mother from South Africa, a wonderful combination, it appears.
I like the sound of Switzerland very much. All places have people who take advantage, but this no fuss approach sounds so appealing, and gives less possibility for big money to interfere in elections, which already differ from other countries.
Thank you for this information!!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:36 pm

I wonder: is it return of serve, but you do that so extremely well. Then, you also excelled with Nadal in those long baseline exchanges which are his specialty. So what to do with that certain player? You were just there to defeat him. You did say you gave it everything, Roger, and I know you did. So what are his patterns, and where anything to exploit? He plays with very big hitting, like a lumberjack, and he is rather Gumbylike, that rubber figure that is very flexible and is a cartoon character, I believe. I was bothered by his sliding on grass: I think he should not be allowed to do it as a matter of custom. That is not what the grass is to be regularly used for. Does he still have some grips or 'nipples' on his shoes, as he did years ago on one occasion? There are some serves he can't return, and I recall a few times when he somersaulted in trying to make a return. He is fast, but getting him out of position is good.
I think you know how to defeat him, and do it not just at matchpoint, though that is welcome any day, or breakpoint. Wrong-footing him is good, as he seems very alert, like a hunting dog cocking his ears, but he can be outdone in that very alertness as sometimes he has to commit to a position.
He is not a smashking, like you, and not nearly as good at the net. His big hitting can tempt him perhaps and cause him to hit long if he gets a variety of spin. Let him use his forehand more? It is not like yours, not with so much variety.
I wish I could put a tennis ball under my pillow and just 'learn' a particular method of defeating him. But you have your excellent team, and your own powers and observations. Somehow, his big hitting should work against him at times. It would make me extremely pleased to see him defeated...and not once!
You are the best to do it, but not on his terms. On your own terms. Think of him every time you hit a deadly ball, a nonreturnable shot, or serve, or you wrongfoot someone or send them a spin that makes them either hit the ball out, or send it into the air. Make his tennis racquet lose its "edge" as though it were a knife, and make him feel a twinge of uncertainty that can't be overcome by that gritted teeth mentality.
Roger, any and all ideas are good. The woodcutter types drive me mad. Happy Swiss Day!
Wow! LOL Flag You Rock

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:27 am

Brian is a happy man!  Sunny

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:28 am

Roger at the Sursee Tennis Club (Lucern) - Aug 1, 2019

Source: Twitter Allez Roger @kah22jad
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:57 am

Some Mexican media recently reported that Roger would play an exhibition in Mexico this November (location and date confirmed), and that it would probably also include a tour to South America (Argentina, Chili...). However, I have been very guarded in taking this as 'big news', as no confirmation could be found in any 'reputable' English media. And this may be the reason for it - from the King himself - everything is still up in the air!

Brian met Roger in Switzerland on August 1st (see his tweet above):  

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum