Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 General Tennis News

+12
TuTi_fanofRFed
wcr
Chrigi
federerworshipper
ph∞be
Kop8zky
norinchi
HeartoftheMatter
UES
Márcia
Steerpike60
Cromar
16 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Normal 2019 General Tennis News

Post by Cromar Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:54 pm

Opening thread for the new season.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: 2019 General Tennis News

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:30 pm

So sad to read about Murray retiring this year due to his hip issues. He hopes to play his last tournament at Wimbledon but he's not sure he can withstand the pain that long. He says the AO could be his last match.

Just sad to not end his career on his own terms.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 pm

^^^
Very sad. This was the same injury/surgery that stopped Guga"s career. Till today he has pain. I really hope at least Murray will be able to play Wimby.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by UES Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Such a shame that hip injuries ended the cateers if two of the nicest guys in the sport. I still remember seeing Guga at a Brazilian festival in NYC not tpo lonh ago. He was all smiled and great with the fans. Still remember his laughtet

UES

Back to top Go down

Post by UES Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Sorry anout the tyos. Sending this from my phone

UES

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm

You can edit your posts, UES! Smile
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal ATP Cup

Post by Cromar Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:51 am

That could be fun! It's possible that Roger could decide to participate, especially if the Hopman Cup disappears.

Big guns to light up Sydney next year in new $22m ATP Cup finals

By Chris Barrett - The Sydney Morning Herald  
7 January 2019

Sydney will be the centre of the tennis world for a week next January as the primary host of a mega event that boasts more prizemoney than any tournament except the four grand slams.

The likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer could feature at the upgraded Ken Rosewall Arena at Sydney Olympic Park for the inaugural $22 million ATP Cup, a 24-nation men’s teams competition bringing together the best players on the planet.

Star power: Roger Federer and the cream of men's tennis will battle out the quarters, semis and final of the new ATP Cup in Sydney from next year. AP

The preliminary round-robin rounds will be staged across six days in Sydney, Brisbane and a yet-to-be-confirmed third capital city, with Sydney then hosting the quarter-finals, semi-final and final over the remaining four days of the event.

The new tournament, a re-imagining of the former ATP World Team Cup held in Dusseldorf, will come just weeks after the first instalment of the controversial new Davis Cup finals, to be played in Madrid from November 18 to 24.

Set down for January 3 to 12 next year, it is also the centrepiece of a significant revamping of the Australian summer schedule, with the remainder of the lead-in to the 2020 Australian Open expected to be announced in the next fortnight.

While there has been uncertainty about the impact on the Hopman Cup in Perth, a couple of pieces of the puzzle have already been put into place. Tennis Australia confirmed on Monday that the Brisbane International would be retained as a women’s tournament, while the Sydney International – which this week boasts a field including seven female grand slam singles champions  – would remain on the calendar for both men and women.

“The Sydney International, we won’t lose that event ... it will remain [for] both men and women,” TA chief executive Craig Tiley said.

The irony was unmistakable as Sydney’s three-year deal for the ATP Cup was made public on the deck of a cruise ship moored at The Rocks. Only three days earlier the NSW government had announced its pledge to build a roof over Ken Rosewall Arena as part of a $50m refurbishment. On Monday it rained throughout the outdoor news conference, attended by Australia’s Nick Kyrgios and a handful of other top men’s players, and across town the weather played havoc with the Sydney International.

By next January, with the venue able to be covered, it won’t matter.

As for who will be playing under the new roof, Tiley is confident  the lure of as much as 750 ATP ranking points to members of the winning nation, as well as the sweetener of eye-watering prizemoney, will attract the best.

“Players can play this event on the men’s side and then go into the Australian Open and pretty much set up their entire year in a period of four weeks,” Tiley said.

The 24 competing nations will be determined by the ranking of each country’s top player at the end of September. As the rankings stood on Monday, the field would be Serbia, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Argentina, South Africa, Croatia, Austria, Japan, United States, Russia, Italy, Great Britain, Greece, Canada, Georgia, Bulgaria, Belgium, South Korea, France, Australia, Hungary, Slovakia and Tunisia.

“I’m super excited,” Krygios said. “When an event like this gets introduced into the calendar I’m always really looking forward to it. Just to be with the boys I grew up with ... Thanasi [Kokkinakis], Jordan [Thompson], to see Alex [de Minaur] doing so well ... it’s going be an awesome event. I know everyone on the tour wanted more of this type of stuff. For me there is nothing better than playing for your country, going out there and playing against the best players in the world.”

There will be three groups of eight teams, one based in each host city, before the knockout stages in Sydney. Ties will consist of two singles and one doubles match.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 pm

I wish Vasek a full recovery and hope that this may be the start of a new period for him, that will allow him to play to his full potential.

Canada's Vasek Pospisil to miss 3 months after having back surgery

28-year-old injured back at Paris Masters in October

CBC Sports - The Canadian Press
January 21, 2019

2019 General Tennis News Ten-australian-open-pospisil-20190104
Canada's Vasek Pospisil will miss three months after having back surgery. (Julio Cortez/Associated Press)

Canadian tennis player Vasek Pospisil is expected to miss the next three months after having surgery on his back last week.

Tennis Canada announced Monday that the 28-year-old Pospisil underwent a successful surgery in New York City on Friday to repair a herniated disc.

"It's been a really difficult few months for me but I'm so fortunate to have had such a great team of doctors around me that made sure I had the very best care," Pospisil said in a release. "I'll work hard to get healthy, but I know I need to be patient in my recovery."

The Vancouver product, ranked No. 74 in the world, injured his back during a second-round qualifying match at the Paris Masters in October.

Pospisil tweeted a photo of himself giving the peace sign from a hospital bed Monday afternoon with the caption: "Quite the roller coaster ride the last 3 months but glad to finally start putting it behind me."
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:29 am

He is too young to have back surgery! Sorry that it had to happen, but pleased that things went well and he is anticipating coming back. Good for him that he is wise enough to recognize that he is going to be working on his recovery when the time comes but will keep caution in mind and not push himself too much. Keep on getting better, Vasek!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:31 am

I don't know if this post is in the right place. The Grand Slams are for both men and women. But I don't see a place to get information on the women's matches on the AO site, unless I have missed it. They are listed in the warehouse section of outfits and equipment to buy, but not their matches.
Does that mean that one has to go separately to the WTA site?

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:22 am

Idea  Not sure were you are looking, HOTM, because the women are listed side-by-side with the men on the Match Schedule, the results, the news, everywhere, on the AO site!?... Or maybe you are looking at the ATP site? Shocked …Wrong place, then. You need to go to the AO site.

Here is the link to the Match Schedule, with the results, for today's matches - men & women:
https://ausopen.com/schedule#!8056
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Must have been, but then I did end up at the AO site. Thank you! Also for the link, cromar.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:08 am

"I underwent a hip resurfacing surgery in London yesterday morning...feeling a bit battered and bruised just now but hopefully that will be the end of my hip pain."

norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kop8zky Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:47 pm

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery, dear Dinora!
Kop8zky
Kop8zky

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Kop8zky wrote:
norinchi wrote:"I underwent a hip resurfacing surgery in London yesterday morning...feeling a bit battered and bruised just now but hopefully that will be the end of my hip pain

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery, dear Dinora!

That quote is actually from Andy Murray who had another hip surgery today.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum