Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 General Tennis News

+12
TuTi_fanofRFed
wcr
Chrigi
federerworshipper
ph∞be
Kop8zky
norinchi
HeartoftheMatter
UES
Márcia
Steerpike60
Cromar
16 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2019 General Tennis News

Post by Cromar Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 am

Update from Del Potro... He is making some progress.  Smile

"A new stage in my recovery. Goodbye crutches!"

2019 General Tennis News - Page 6 D_X-wADXUAEan9D?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Pubished on Jul. 13 -  Twitter @delpotrojuan  

Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:31 am

Very classy couple! Thumbs up

Gael Monfils and Elina Svitolina - July 21, 2019

Odessa is the third most populous city of Ukraine and a major tourism center and seaport on the northwestern shore of the Black Sea.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Interesting news.  Isner has signed an endorsement deal for a drink that uses CBD (a chemical compound found in the cannibis plant).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/american-tennis-player-john-isner-signs-endorsement-deal-with-cbd-company/ar-AAEUnUW?ocid=spartanntp
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by federerworshipper Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:25 pm

I don't take pills, you couldn't find an aspirin in my home and thank heavens I don't need any. But I must say Good man John. Pharmaceutical Blood suckers want to make a killing off of a natural product.  Paws off on this one.
federerworshipper
federerworshipper

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:04 pm

Interesting! The CBD is the part that has no hallucinogenic effects. It, or a srain acquired from some plants, has been used in cases of intractable epilepsy in children, who had been taking a variety of drugs to try to control their seizures, and for other, similar conditions. If it also helps muscle healing, all the better.
Plants can be poisonous, too, and there are plants whose extracts have been used in the treatment of some serious illnesses. More and more there are synthetic drugs, and aside from poisonous plants, prefer the idea of naturally derived drugs.
Will they market it in the US, or North America? Canada is usually the last to approve a new drug, and at the same timed, the last to remove it from the market when there are unwelcome side effects.
It has been amazing how long this plant has been marked is harmful, with nomedicinal benefits! Even the poppy, from which powerful analgesics have been developed, has not been demonized as much. Well, my impression has been that the US always has to fight some "enemy" whether alcohol, drugs, or a plant that is considered a drug. I think it may stem from a Puritanical approach.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 am

Murray’s singles return closer than expected

By Stephanie Myles | tennis.life  
July 29, 2019

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Andy Murray’s presence in the doubles draw at the Citi Open is an extra added bonus in an extremely strong, intriguing 16-team event.

But Murray said Monday that when he starts playing singles, he’ll stop playing doubles.

And that “some day” may be sooner than many expected.

Perhaps even including himself.

Murray will play with brother Jamie in D.C., for the first time since 2013 in an ATP Tour event.

In Montreal at the Rogers Cup, he said Monday he would team up with Feliciano Lopez. Murray and Lopez combined to win the title at Queen’s Club, in Murray’s first tournament back since hip surgery.

As for the Cincinnati Masters 1000 the following week, Murray said it was likely he and Lopez could team up again.

Except …

Best-best case scenario

Murray qualified it as being the “best, best-case scenario”. But he hasn’t excluded the possibility that he might return to singles action there.

The Brit has played a couple of practice sets here in D.C. – notably on Sunday against American Denis Kudla.

And he’s pleased to report that there are so many things he can do, ways he can make his body move, that he was unable to do here a year ago.

He can push up on his serve, for one thing. But what he’s noticed is that he’s lacking sufficient cardio to play singles. That’s something that’s especially apparent in D.C., with the heat and humidity.

Murray said he spent so much time in the gym, strengthening the muscles around the hip, that he didn’t prioritize the cardio.

If not Cincy, then the fall

Murray also said that if he doesn’t play in Cincinnati, he wouldn’t return until after the US Open. He can’t conceive of his first tournament back not only being a Grand Slam, but more critically with a best-of-five format in singles.

All in all, though, it’s a dose of pretty happy news from a guy who’s just happy to get up every morning, and not be in pain or feel like garbage.

He said what had changed was that, instead of thinking it was never going to happen (a return in singles), his mindset is “Why shouldn’t it happen?”

Murray said he messaged back and forth with American doubles star Bob Bryan, who had hip resurfacing surgery exactly a year ago in New York during the Citi Open tournament, two or three times a week.

Bob and brother Mike, four-time Citi Open champions, reached the final in Atlanta last week and are in the draw here.

He wanted to know how Bryan felt, how he was progressing. And he said Monday that it was likely he wouldn’t even be sitting here, or had the surgery, had Bryan not had such success with it himself.

Murray said he also spoke to former NHL player Ed Jovanovski, who had the surgery in 2014. The surgeon who performed it believes Jovanovski was the first professional athlete to have the surgery and not have it be a career-ender.

(As far as we know, Murray didn’t speak to The Undertaker, the former wrestling star who had it even before Jovanovski).

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 am

That's good. It is an awful lot that Murray has had to go through. I feel a log of sympathy for him, and hopes it will work out the way he wants it to.
(That last sentence in your post, the mention of the Undertaker, to which my eyes jumped, gave me a second's turn. But the wrestling part bit put it into place. P.S. I never did, never could like wrestling, except for Olypic wrestling. with its strong rules and restraints. There the skill is evident to me...and not the blows and blood.)
I am not even sure how Murray got in such a fix with both hips. He was quite young for that.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Wow!  I love this lady... Wish her well.  Thumbs up

2019 General Tennis News - Page 6 Uso_1010

Kim Clijsters and her daughter Jada at the US Open in 2010

2019 General Tennis News - Page 6 EEQ2Bk3X4AAkcxM?format=jpg&name=900x900
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Didn't know she had three children! I wish her luck: I always like her game! For her personally, I can see that this is an important step.
Not sure the timing is right, what with seemingly new talent emerging, or already here. Howevere, she and her trainer/coach must have assessed the situation so they are not going in blind.
I wish her well, and I do wish her success!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar-test Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Another comeback, of sort...

Cromar-test

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Good idea, Kim, as I listened to your video. That feeling, that you love having children, does not rule out intense drive toward other endeavours. It always depends on the individual. Those who actually want to or need to fulfil their passion in another sphere also, should be able to. Men could do this forever...but for women it has not been possible most of the time.
Yet, when the drive is there, the devotion, that inner voice that tells you that you should also be doing something else that is a part of you, then that cannot be ignored.
Just go ahead, and have patience, and take it as it comes! You will have answered that call, which is a part of you, and no part of you, or anyone else, should be ignored or buried, if possible.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:16 pm

The ATP has penalized Kyrgios for his behavior in Cincy, but it's not really a penalty. He's been fined and banned for 4 months, but none of that goes into affect unless he misbehaves in the next 6 months. Of course, he's already announced that he's not going to play for a while because of his collar bone, so in essence... this means zilch.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/atp-concludes-kyrgios-investigation-september-2019
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:35 am

It's a girl! Flower Balloon  

Congratulations to Kevin and Kelsey!

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:36 am