Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 ATP Rankings & Schedule

+7
Márcia
TuTi_fanofRFed
Cromar
Marly 103-20
Steerpike60
striker
HeartoftheMatter
11 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2019 ATP Rankings & Schedule

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Good thing that Wimbledon relies on an adjusted method of seeding! It is only proper! Therefore it is better that Roger is seeded #2! Well, wonder about the draw. Just need a decent draw..no bunch of new and unknowns, either, or a pile up of the skyscraper players.
The overall rankings are surprising, though. Cilic--married life seems to agree with him, as I saw a couple of interviews, and he looked and sounded happy and more confident....but no overconfidence, for you, Cilic--is moving up.
Simon has surprised me. I always thought he was a very skilled player, but now he is moving up in the rankings. I think I asked somewhere if it is the same Gilles Simon of France as he looks different too.
If so, then he must have added some stamina and power to his game, which was always very tricky and good.

Gilles Simon of France...he looks different too.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Is it quite unprecedented that the top three, really, should have dominated so much? Although, to start it, with domination started with Federer, who had such a remarkably long and uninterrupted streak, and it is on later, with the exception of Roland Garros, that the other two started to catch up.
Can't really leave out Murray, or Wawrinka, as they are roughly similar, with 3 GS and for Andy, the Olympic Gold. And then the two that have the one GS each. Cilic, at that time, got his because of Ivanisevic, who was his coach, and they had a kind of grudge because Roger did not sign on to a petition by Djoke and some others to have his ban suspended. Roger said the rules are the rules. So Ivanisevic, etc. did have a grudge, as it was clear when Cilic won. And other things happened on the court, I think.
So it is unusual, this situation. I have no doubts ever about Roger, but some others I do entertain/consider questions about.
Oh, I think Uncle Tony, talking about Wimbledon, said something to the effect that nephew has a "strong mind" or "genius". Strong something, for sure.
I would like to see the upcoming gen to take out some of the big ones, with the exception of Roger. He has to do the work by himself, and when he gets those dog-eats-dog world draws, it is a lot to ask.
I think he will really love being back at Wimbledon! Uncrease your wings, Roger, for when you need them, and have your "trident' ready, too!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:14 pm

There's a lot of fighting going on at Twitter over Roger being seeded above Nadal.  So ridiculous.  "Haters" are acting like this is some new thing (it's been around since 2002) or that it is somehow subjective.  It's not.  It's a formula that applies to ALL players.

Djokovic didn't help matters by commenting that he was "surprised".  I guess he forgot that last year he was ranked 21 but seeded 12.  Someone pointed out that Djoker was bumped above Nadal in 2017.  But I think Nadal and Djokovic were just swapped between #1 and #2, so it didn't matter.  But of course, this could matter if Nadal is drawn in Djoker's half.  So now Nadal complains.    

P-Mac tweeted that Nadal should be seeded #2, period.  Why?  Because it affects Nadal?  What if Federer had lost in Halle and stayed #3?  Would P-Mac still have made a fuss because Anderson was bumped up to #4?  Of course not.  

Then Paul Annacone replied to P-Mac that he agreed because the formula isn't really necessary since it was only begun when grass and clay were markedly different.  If clay and grass are so alike, why does Nadal have 12 RG titles yet he's failed to live up to his seeding for the last 7 years at Wimbledon?  When grass and clay have the same build-up and grass has three M1000s, then they can get rid of the formula.  
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm

That is not a valid argument from Annacone! Sure, grass had been adjusted, precisely to let players like NADAL do better on the surface, but it is still not like clay! Please Annacone, don't make me think poorly of you. They, some comms, talk without thinking, just because it occurs to them that they ought to make a comment. And the McEnroes,, always peculiar in some ways. It is true that there is something about John that can be endearing over time once you get beyond whatever he has just angered one with, that is, he is ignorant in some areas, generally. "Much to do about nothing" was his latest gem at a tournament rather than the correct version "much ado about nothing". But that kind of hurried speaking leads to such slips of the tongue. Overall, though, I see why Roger had said, when John was attacked over his opinion regarding Serena being all-around GOAT--but Roger defended him, and said "I love John". And I can see why. It is his personality that sensed the real understanding of John and was not paying attention to the other, more scrambled things.
However, twitter, and generally people who speak up on facebook and other sites are often in a state of belligerence over who is best. I don't think the social media improves people.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Yeah, Steerpike, you should post your reasoning on some site, maybe the Wimbledon site or the ATP official site. It considers everything together, and is valid, and makes total sense.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:16 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:Yeah, Steerpike, you should post your reasoning on some site, maybe the Wimbledon site or the ATP official site. It considers everything together, and is valid, and makes total sense.

I have posted it all on Twitter in response to P-Mac, Annacone and regular "haters". Believe me, I'm not the only one.

As for John McEnroe... I think John being a part of the Laver Cup has made their relationship good too. John loves that event and really appreciates that Roger came up with it to honor Laver (John's hero) and to pay respect to all tennis legends of the past.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Steeeerpike, thank you for posting the Wimbledon "way". I think that now the site itself has an explanation for how the choice is made, unless I dreamed it.
Sometimes people think nothing helps when one speaks up, but I do believe in doing that when it is important and warranted, and even when nothing happens in the moment. All things converge at times.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi, I have read that Nadal & now Novak have qualified for the finals. How many points will Roger need to get there? Thank you!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 pm

striker wrote:Hi, I have read that Nadal & now Novak have qualified for the finals. How many points will Roger need to get there? Thank you!

It shouldn't be long for Roger. The reason Nadal and Djoker have qualified is that they've won majors.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:45 pm

SO will this loss affect London? I hope not.
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:06 pm

striker wrote:SO will this loss affect London? I hope not.

Well, had he won yesterday he would have qualified. So I imagine he'll qualify at the USO (assuming he wins a few rounds).
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 pm

^^ Thank you, youre a true fan. I guess as long as Ive been.
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marly 103-20 Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 pm

He'll qualified in NY, I hope
Marly 103-20
Marly 103-20

http://federer080881.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Roger is officially qualified now according to the ATP.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:18 pm

^^^

>>I hope youre right. Ive gone over to ATP site & its still only Novak & Rafa.....plus about Mededev advancing in the rankings...no5!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:40 pm

I saw it on Twitter and FB, but maybe it's not completely official yet, but it probably will be as soon as he wins another match. So no worries.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum