Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Normal RF Tennis News 2018

Post by Cromar Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:37 am

Roger explains why 2018 could be quite epic...  ‘I think it could be a very cool start to the year, which I’m really looking forward to.’

Roger Federer is right: Rogue ATP Finals adds extra dimension to 2018

George Bellshaw | Mettro.co.uk

Sunday 19 Nov 2017 9:17 pm

RF Tennis News 2018 Pri_60504969
2018 promises to be a cracker (Picture: Getty, Metro)

Even in the aftermath of a disappointing defeat, Roger Federer often knows how to strike a cord and he neatly highlighted arguably the most fascinating aspect of this year’s ATP Finals.

In a field dominated by debutants, as the ATP Tour battled through the worst injury crisis it’s ever seen, David Goffin and Grigor Dimitrov, who began the week ranked at eight and six in the world came through to reach the biggest final of their careers.

Since 2006, only one man who wasn’t a member of the ‘Big Four’ (Nikolay Davydenko) has lifted the title at the season-ending event, with Federer, Novak Djokovic and eventually Andy Murray all ending on a high.

With Murray and Djokovic struggling throughout 2017, Rafael Nadal and Federer have dominated at Grand Slam level, but there have been far greater opportunities for those who have lived in the shadow of the strongest generation ever seen.

RF Tennis News 2018 Pri_58936758
Sock was a surprise winner at Paris-Bercy (Picture: REUTERS)

RF Tennis News 2018 686565242
 Zverev beat Djokovic in Rome (Picture: NurPhoto/Getty)

Dimitrov won a Masters 1000 title in Cincinnati, Alexander Zverev won in Montreal and Rome (beating Federer and Djokovic in the finals), before Jack Sock won Paris-Bercy to secure an unlikely spot in the year’s final event.

No season in the past decade has seen four Masters 1000 titles end up in the hands of non-‘Big Four’ stars, and Dimitrov’s win on Sunday supplied a non-‘Big Four’ winner at the ATP Finals for the first time since 2009.

Trophy Gold  Past decade of non-'Big Four' Masters winners

2007: Nalbandian (Madrid & Paris)
2008: Tsonga (Paris), Davydenko (Miami)
2009: Davydenko (Shanghai)
2010: Ljubicic (Indian Wells), Roddick (Miami), Soderling (Paris)
2011: N/A
2012: Ferrer (Paris)
2013: N/A
2014: Tsonga (Canada), Wawrinka (Monte Carlo)
2015: N/A
2016: Cilic (Cincinnati)
2017: Zverev (Rome & Canada), Dimitrov (Cicinnati), Sock (Paris)

Trophy Silver ATP Finals winners in past decade

2007: Federer
2008: Djokovic
2009: Davydenko
2010: Federer
2011: Federer
2012: Djokovic
2013: Djokovic
2014: Djokovic
2015: Djokovic
2016: Murray
2017: Dimitrov

Of course, Djokovic, Murray and Wawrinka’s absences have played a big role in that, but there’s a sense that 2018 could be the strongest year of men’s tennis we’ve seen, in terms of strength in depth at least.

Players like Dimitrov and Goffin (who has beaten Djokovic, Federer and Nadal this year) are starting to finally realise their potential. Zverev, Nick Kyrgios, Dominic Thiem and Denis Shapovalov are part of a new generation who are pushing through and holding their own against the biggest names in the game, and the ‘Big Four’ plus Wawrinka, Raonic and Nishikori have all occupied spots in the world’s top-five in the past two seasons.

RF Tennis News 2018 809429962
Wawrinka is on the comeback trail (Picture: Getty/WireImage)

RF Tennis News 2018 Pri_591997001
Murray will hope to return to challenge Federer (Picture: AFP/Getty)

Federer addressed the state of play nicely.

‘So I expect obviously from the likes who have been extremely high up in the rankings, who have won slams, like Stan, Andy and Novak, of course I expect greatness from them,’ he said. ‘When they return at some stage, not maybe from the very beginning. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked out for them as well like it worked out for me. And Rafa, so…

‘I hope also Kei, Tomas [Berdych] and Milos all find their way back on tour and prefer to be in Australia because that would make it quite epic, comeback for all the guys.

RF Tennis News 2018 828677676
Can Raonic return to full fitness?  (Picture: Getty Images

RF Tennis News 2018 Prc_60433432
Dimitrov and Goffin reached the season-ending finale (Picture: Getty

‘Then you mix them together with the new guys from the World Tour Finals here who have just come off a great year, obviously are confident, want to stay in the top 10, want to make the World Tour Finals again. They are sort of weaving their way in. Not so fast, guys, we also want to make it. You have the young guys coming through.

‘I think it could be a very cool start to the year, which I’m really looking forward to.’

Put simply, there’s competition coming from all angles. The established guard, the forgotten generation, the young up-and-comers – all have supplied evidence that if they are all fit and healthy then 2018 could be chaotic poetry in motion.

RF Tennis News 2018 876335174
Dimitrov lifted the ATP Finals title (Picture: Getty)

The Australian Open draw could be madness, the Race to London should be hard-fought, the battle for Masters and majors will be frenetic.

Predictions will most likely fly out the window before the season has truly got into full swing, but the returning gang may well be in for a nasty surprise at just how much tougher life on the ATP Tour has got since they were last involved.

And who knows, the ‘Big Four’ days of years gone by may never look the same again.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by Márcia Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks, cromar. Very interesting indeed will be 2018. Roger that! Why spend money with journalists if they have Roger to write their papers? Wink Gif
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:19 am

A great outlook, that is what Roger has. Looks at the sport and not just his own situation. And yes, he always strikes a "chord" but not a cord, as the writer put it, or misspelled it.
A more interesting field always rings out the greatness in the Great.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:01 am

Something to look forward to!  Sunny

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 am

My predictions for 2018 : a great Roger, hope he will stay fit - but make no mistake guys and gals, this could be a much more tougher and frustrating year than 2017.
Let's be objective, it's impossible to repeat what he did this year - by admitting that, you will be a bit less disappointed by some eventual counter performances from Roger.

Probably another grand slam title for nadalito - dare you to ask me which one of the 4 ??  Laughing Pacman
Anyway, I have absolutely no doubt about the fact that he will be very competitive this year again.
(will he give us a break with his knee problems ?? I have some doubts about that... Bonk )

Thiem will fail to win his first GS.
Zverev Jr will fail, him too, but with much better performances than this year in the Grand Slams - not very difficult, I know.  Hee hee

If he's fit I think Andy will return quickly to the top. Concerning Djoko - aka Robocop - it will be very interesting to see if he's still has the "flame" in him, considering that he has reached his main goals, being N° 1 and winning the French... I would LOVE to see him taking the same path Wilander had once taken (even if I don't believe in it too much) - Mats, after reaching the N° 1 spot in 1988, had totally lost his game, and the main reason was that, with his style of play (worse than "boring"...) he couldn't be able to take any pleasure anymore on the court. He was not playing for the beauty of this sport, but just to be the best. Does all that stuff reminds you of a particular player ??

Stan, in my opinion, could be the one to have the toughest year. He has always be some kind of dielsel, starting the big tournaments slowly, with strong finishes... And after his surgery it could be much more difficult for him to recover a high level of self confidence. Plus he will have to deal with Magnus Norman's departure, and it will be tough, especially when you know what a huge role Norman has play for him...
Cilic, Pouille or Berdych will remains occasionally dangerous, but nothing more...
To me, Nishikori is done.
Dimitrov will not win a Grand Slam, and I would be highly surprised if he won one someday - ok, maybe one, but that would be it. Let's hope Kevin Anderson will have a great year, because with his style of play (Robin Soderling anyone ??) he could be the perfect anti-Nadal weapon at the French Open.

The 2 players I will attentively follow (apart Rodg of course) next year : JM Del Potro - fingers crossed for his wrists, and Nick Kyrgios, because I love his style, and 2018 could be a "make or break" year for him.
My "dream year" for The Maestro : another Wimbledon trophy would be enough for my happiness.  Cheering  Roger

(p.s. : no, I am not psychic, so please don't ask me the winning numbers of the next lottery, thanks a lot.)
(p.s. 2 : thanks to all who have read this post!! Laughing)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:16 pm

I just wish Roger to be healthy in 2018 - he'll then take care of the rest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:57 pm

I think that's very wise thinking, Milesahead!   Thumbs up
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kop8zky Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:46 pm

I don't know where is the right place to post this and I don't know either if this video is playable outside of Siwtzerland. And then it is in German and Swissgerman mostly - but you see a lot of sequences that are not so common and if you can play it enjoy the pictures and the emotions of "Federers Superjahr", made of Swiss TV:

It is the first video on the website:

https://www.srf.ch/sport/tennis/atp-tour/ein-gutes-omen-federer-zurueck-an-der-comeback-staette
Kop8zky
Kop8zky

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:37 pm

A nice article, Kop8zky!  Unfortunately, as you suspected, the main video cannot be played outside Switzerland.

They are talking about Roger returning to Perth and the video of Roger trying to take a Selfie is just adorable!
Here it is... Try it full screen (click the empty square), it's amazing!... Love it  

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:45 pm

An interesting article on the injury issue and how what works for Fed may not work for others:

“Andy Murray should follow Roger Federer’s example,” the headlines read last July in London, after Great Britain’s best player limped out of Wimbledon with a hip injury. Former No. 1 Boris Becker, as well as one of Murray’s own former coaches, Miles McLagan, advised him to do what Federer had done in 2016—i.e., pull the plug on the rest of his season and come back at full strength for the Australian Open in January.

The idea was all the rage at the time. In short order last summer, Novak Djokovic(elbow), Kei Nishikori (wrist), and Stan Wawrinka (knee), followed the Federer route by cutting their seasons short near the halfway point and trying to get their bodies right for 2018. Milos Raonic (wrist, calf) joined them a couple of months later. They had all seen what a little extra rest had meant for Federer; two of them, Nishikori and Wawrinka, had experienced it first-hand when they lost to the 35-year-old in five-set matches in Melbourne last year. The future of health-management on the ATP tour seemed clear: Do what Federer did in 2017, use whatever exemptions from mandatory events that you have earned, and play only when you’re fully fit.

Now we know, if any of us still had any doubts, that what works for Roger Federer doesn’t necessarily work for everyone—or anyone—else. Six months off, it seems, wasn’t enough for what ails these players. On Thursday, Murray and Nishikori pulled out of the Australian Open, while Djokovic said he would decide whether or not to play after participating in two exhibitions Down Under. For his part, Rafael Nadal withdrew from his first scheduled event, in Brisbane, due to knee pain that flared last year, while Raonic gingerly tested the waters at that same event before making an early exit. As for Wawrinka, he’ll wing it in Melbourne with little warm-up work. The highly-anticipated reunion of the Big 4 (plus Stan) in 2017 will have to wait. Now we have to hope that the Big 4 era isn’t ending as we speak.

Is it a coincidence that much of the Top 10 has been forced to the sidelines for so long, at the same time? Or are there reasons we can point to?

We should start by remembering that Nadal, Raonic, and Nishikori have always been injury prone. Then we should remind ourselves that Murray, Djokovic, and Wawrinka are in their 30s, and have played full schedules for the better part of a decade. From 2011 to 2016, Djokovic went deep at virtually every event he entered, and he closed out that five-year stretch by winning four straight majors. Murray also pushed himself to the limit at the end of 2016; his fevered, successful year-end chase for No. 1 eventually took its toll. Now Murray is facing possible hip surgery, a procedure that left two former No. 1 players, Lleyton Hewitt and Gustavo Kuerten, shells of their former selves.

“If you look at it from just a purely numbers standpoint,” Raonic said in Brisbane earlier this week, “you see the guys that play a lot the year before, a lot of matches, 65 plus, maybe even 70 matches, those guys struggle the following year.”

Raonic admits that this spate of health problems is worse than most, but also says, “I don’t think injuries are anything new; I don’t think it’s something that has come up over the last six months more than ever before.”

Injuries are nothing new, and neither is the most likely culprit, the 11-month season.  What is different is the age of the top players. In past eras, no one expected them to continue to dominate, or even compete, past age 30. Pete Sampras, Stefan Edberg, Boris Becker, and Ivan Lendl, among many others, all faded out around that age. The game has aged considerably in the last decade, but now we may finally be seeing the price of that increased longevity.

In that, though, Murray, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Nadal and others really can take a lesson from Federer. While it doesn’t look like taking six months off will lead to an Australian Open title for any of them, all of these players either are, or will soon be, eligible to design their schedules to fit their needs, the way Federer did in 2017. The ATP allows exemptions from its mandatory Masters 1000 events for anyone who has been (a) on tour for 12 years; (b) played 600 matches; or (c) is 31 or older. Any player who meets all three criteria—which Murray, Djokovic, Wawrinka, and Nadal soon will—can skip as many Masters as they like.

For past champions, the prospect of surgery at 30, which is what Murray is facing now, may have been enough to ease them into retirement. But with Federer still winning majors at 36, quitting at 30 seems rash. His peers now have an example of someone who has survived a late-career injury and bounced back. The Golden Age may soon turn into the Exempt Age. But that’s better than having it go extinct.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/01/2018-tennis-channel-atp-tour-top-players-injuries-roger-federer-andy-murray-novak-djokovic-stan-wawrinka-rafael-nadal/71080/
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:27 pm

I see a lot of holes - or missed opportunities - in the Tignor piece.

First of all, he should get over the '6 month' bit about the layoff since any layoff time would depend on the nature of the athlete's physical problem.  Duh.

Tennis has been an 11-month season for as long as I've been part of the sport.  Is he driving at the near impossibility of shortening it a month?  Sell that to tournament directors and players who count on events for a living.  Better to leave it 11-months than jamb more events into a shorter time frame thus eliminating the narrow opportunities for athletes to heal between events.

Tignor's most glaring omission is not mentioning the effects of the week-in/week-out grinding style of play on increasing slower and homogenized courts on the bodies of the players.  That maybe Roger's 6-month layoff came late at age 36 could be a result of his All Court Game playing style.  Speeding up tennis courts - back to the levels they were before the famous Sampras/Ivanisevic Wimbledon final - will speed up the game and get players off the court quicker.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:37 pm

^^^
Agree. But it seems very few people want to talk about it (speeding up tennis courts v slowing down tennis courts as a factor of more injuries).
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 am

Fedberg, other than Roger, I don't know whom I want to win. Unfortunately, Dolgopolov has not done more, and I wonder if he can. Kyrgios, yes, but not if he comes across Roger. Kyrgios needs some more maturity to his game.....says my fortune cookie. ND will want to, but who knows. And as for Andy having more surgery...if that's right, then what you said, i said, and others really drives home the point.
Sure, there wil always be newcomers, but this regimen of surfaces plus the brute strength some players rely on regularly, doesn't bode well for most of them. I rather liked Goffin--he was shocked when he defeated Roger. I just wonder if he has the physical mettle.
Apparently, Rod Laver thinks Shapolavov will be a GS, though not now, and I concur with that. If ND is desperate enough, and unless Roger is on the go, then he might baseball out a win. With that analysis expert, although he already played according to scientific methods as per his statement a few years ago, what they will look at, as I recall, will be to study his strokes, shot by shot. It is a matter of whole body type, too, that counts. When he wins he usually looks to me as though he forced through a win somehow. I would not like to see him in a final, unless he be beaten by our man.
Still, if I reconsider, Kyrgios could perhaps do it, but maybe not if it needs five sets. I wonder if John Mc will be with him. Probably. (Someone should tell him to leave his basketball shoes in the locker room. It is a wonderful sport to play,and he does suit the team competitor type, but when he carries his tennis shoes in, it's like someone who is trying to sit between two chairs. Just my impression, as though everyone should be grateful he is on this court and no on the lovely basketball court. Uncommitted looking.
wcr, I appreciate your patience with some of my loooonger posts. You are so kind.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 am

I just read the words that the mix of players "could be a chaotic poetry in motion." Jarring, among other things, from the writer. Chaos theory does not mix well either. So will it be the least wounded, or a surprise that could emerge. Perhaps, after all, Zverez could have a chance in four sets, no more, although I don't know if he has the physicality. The draw will indicate something, perhaps. My preference is another one for the best player of them all. He truly is "stupendous" to use a word I wouldn't otherwise.
Mr. Bellshaw, shouldn't it be that Roger....can strike a "chord" rather than the netcord? Picky, I know, but I have seen these words misused too often.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:40 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:Fedberg, other than Roger, I don't know whom I want to win.

I don't want anybody else but Rodg to win!! Thumbs up

One thing's for sure, I don't want Kyrgios on his way. Very affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum