Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

# 20 Grand Slam (AO 2018)

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Normal # 20 Grand Slam (AO 2018)

Post by Cromar Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:08 am

Me...   Wink Gif
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: # 20 Grand Slam (AO 2018)

Post by Cromar Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 am

The GREATEST

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:01 am

The Headlines

Grand Master - Herald Sun
King Roger VI - Herald Sun Sports
The Greatest -  Daily Telegraph
Seventh Wonder - The Age
20/20 Vision - Canberra Times
Laver in awe - The Score
He is simply the Best - The Australian
La Légende du Siècle - L'Équipe
  The legend of the Century
Die Welt verneigt sich vor Roger - Die Welt
  The World bows before Roger
Tenis y lágrimas para la historia - La Nacion
  Tennis and tears for the history

Swiss Press:

Einfach grossartig - Basler Zeitung
   Simply Grand
Federer au 20e ciel - La Liberté 
  Federer in 20th heaven
Les larmes d'un géant - Le Matin
  The tears of a giant     
Un vingt divin - Le Quotidien jurassien
  A divine twenty (wine) *

* A play on word in French: "vingt" (20) and "vin" (wine)

However, Blick went to another level on Monday to honor Roger... it sold its newspaper for 20 cents!

The World bows before Roger

«We sit here once more with our mouth open and watery eyes, desperately looking for superlatives for this Roger Federer. For this man from another planet, who continues to captivate the world with his infinite lightness, his unique smoothness, with his extraordinary talent and feel for this game with a felt ball.  And celebrates his 20th (!) Grand Slam title.

He has long been the greatest of his craft. That he is one of the greatest athletes of all times, that is now undisputed. Fascinating, too: Winning is never a given for him. Tears never lie and leave nobody untouched. Sport fans around the world are all rubbing their teary eyes as well.»

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxUS Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:01 am

Cromar wrote:Un vingt divin - Le Quotidien jurassien     A divine twenty (wine) *
* A play on word in French: "vingt" (20) and "vin" (wine)
It is what it is, but I do wish that the Swiss Press have as much influence on the narrative of the media at large as the Spanish press (perhaps, they do on the French press, but that does me no good Evil / Very Mad). After having to tolerate all the calls of decima last year, it's delicious to be able to savor a Un vingt divin; too bad it's too esoteric to be picked up by the English language press. Oh, well.

As always, thank you, Cromar, for bringing these tasty morsels to our attention.
MaxUS
MaxUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:12 am

Glad you enjoyed that, MaxUS!

The French paper Liberation used a similar pun, pushing the idea a little further though, implying that Roger ages well... like a good wine!  Sunny  

And as you like the Spanish press... this is what Marca posted on Twitter (we like action, no?) Facepalm

Whereby the Italians had a more sentimental approach. la Republica talks about the 'tears of joy' of the King and the conclusion of a fairy tale.

I found some of these gems on RTS (Swiss French TV) who described the press on Federer as 'dithyrambic'! Surprised ...Had to look it up!  Embarassed
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks for bringing all this together, Cromar! So many nice articles and headlines....
Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 am

Don't really like what Marca did.

They seems to be a bit too sneaky for me.
They seems to praise Rodg for what he did, but at the same time I have the impression that they mock him, or at least that they don't took his achievement too seriously... Rolling Eyes

But of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are spanish. Hee hee

Back to top Go down

Post by InspiredTennis Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Thank you dear CROMAR Red Star Love it - how lovely to collect tributes for Roger. I am definitely on cloud 20!! Very Happy Red Flower

Roger looks so serene and poised in the "I'illustre" picture. "happy sigh"

I agree re: Marca, FEDBERG but nothing can mar the joy of this achievement. Even tacky tributes. Sunny
InspiredTennis
InspiredTennis

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxUS Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:49 am

I debated on whether or not to comment further in this topic but Milesahead's line in a different thread gave me the courage to indulge in my own bit of pedancy:
Milesahead wrote:Excuse me for being pedantic  Smile , but the draw wasn't easy! It just opened up in a way it rarely has for Roger! I think, for example, that Roger's first 3  opponents were more challenging than those Nadal faced.
So, please also forgive my own bit of waxing pedantic. I just could not resist snickering at Marca's feeble attempt at irony.

FEDBERG wrote:Don't really like what Marca did.

They seems to be a bit too sneaky for me.
They seems to praise Rodg for what he did, but at the same time I have the impression that they mock him, or at least that they don't took his achievement too seriously... Rolling Eyes

But of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are spanish. Hee hee
Your take on this dig, FEDBERG, I think, is spot on! What we have here is a case of irony cubed.

First, consider the source material which is Roger asking his fans to create these Photoshop gems in a bit of pre-tournament fun (this came after the superhero shenanigans during Kid's day, right?). Roger's Photoshop challenge is the first level of irony, because it is universally known that Roger does not see himself as a superhero, he regularly presents himself as a regular guy who plays tennis very well. Moreover, those who know him personally or have only just interacted, even only briefly, have also marveled at how down-to-earth and accessible he is in person. This challenge was a fun way to allow his fans to interact with him in a fun and humorous way while promoting the Australian Open .

Marda, either willfully ignored the obvious irony or dubiously failed to recognize it as such. In doing so, their "praise" could be interpreted ironically as a dig. It is my opinion, that they probably think that it is proof of Roger's hubris (which is also ironic considering their likely belief of the humility of their currently #1 countryman). So, irony squared, no?

Of course, irony is in the eye of the beholder. While it's certainly possible to take the Marda post at face value, I'm not so generous as to think that of all the absolutely stunning photography (some of the best post-match images ever to be captured on film/pixels?) that came out of Australia, they would choose these photos as representative of Un vingt divin!.  

Cromar responding to the distaste I expressed about the Spanish press, added the third level of irony by prefacing the tweet with And as you like the Spanish press. Irony cubed!

Fun stuff! or at least diverting enough while we wait for the rest of the season to pick up after the Olympics.
MaxUS
MaxUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:38 am

Marda! Laughing Pacman ... A cubed typo, I would say!

Thanks for the divine entertainment, MaxUS!  Laughing
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm

This is a fabulous way to celebrate Roger's achievements and career: An outstanding history of his accomplishments, along a timeline filled with pictures and data analysis and statistics in pictograph form, written by Bernhard Schär, Sports reporter at the SRF (Swiss Radio and TV) and long-time Federer-watcher.

A must read: Click here to view the article. (English version)

Note: The link to this document was originally posted by ph∞be on January 29 in the News thread, but felt that it should be brought here to be part of the celebration.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:41 pm

BIG BRANDS SALUTE ROGER'S SUCCESS

NIKE

Outplay yourself. Roger Federer, Melbourne's defending champion and holder of 19 major titles, just beat his own record, by winning 20 - #justdoit.
@Nike - Jan 28, 2018   Twitter

Credit Suisse

Congratulations to Roger Federer for winning the Australian Open and securing his # 20 Grand Slam (AO 2018) 32_20e3# 20 Grand Slam (AO 2018) 30_20e3th Grand Slam title Trophy Gold !  
Visit credit-suisse.com/RogerFederer. @Credit Suisse - Jan 28, 2018   Twitter

Rolex

Rolex congratulates Roger Federer on his 20th Grand Slam title and 6th Australian Open victory.
#Rolex @AusOpen - Jan 28, 2018   Twitter

# 20 Grand Slam (AO 2018) MrQmOtN2_400x400

Mercedes-Benz

ATP with Moët & Chandon

The perfect way to celebrate No.20  Trophy Gold  Cheers, Roger Federer!  Champagne #MoëtMoment.  
 @ATPWorldTour - Jan 28, 2018   Facebook

JURA

Fantastic, Roger Federer! Congratulations on your 20th Grand Slam title!
@Jura - Jan 28, 2018   Facebook

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:42 pm

TRIBUTES TO ROGER'S 20th GS

Australian Open

@BenSolomonPhoto
#RF20: The Road to Roger Federer's mystical tally and why we stand by in awe.
Read: "The road to Roger’s mystical tally"
@AusOpen - Jan 29, 2018   Twitter

ATP World Tour

Roger Federer 20th Grand Slam Victory Tribute

Photo Credit: Peter Staples
Tribute looking back at Roger Federer's Grand Slam victories after earning his 20th at the 2018 Australian Open.
@ATPWorldTour - Feb 9, 2018  YouTube

LEHUNTERPRO

Love Eyes  Roger Federer ● An Emotional Win ● Australian Open 2018 Tribute

Photo Credit: Peter Staples
 Love it  A beautiful tribute by a peRFect fan!  
Must watch...

@lehunterpro - Feb 4, 2018   YouTube  
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:44 pm

MAGAZINE COVERS

The Gentleman Magazine (UK) - 7 Feb 2018
Page 42-45: Rolex congratulates Roger on his 6th AO title.

Tennis Magazine (Fench) - 31 Jan 2018

Schweizer Illustrierte - 2 Feb 2018

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 pm

CREATIVE TRIBUTES AND A BIT OF HUMOUR!...

C. ROY Taylor @chrisroytaylor - Jan 28, 2018

C. Bertschy @SwissMinipeople - Jan 28, 2018

Roger peRFect @RogerOurNo1 - Feb 4, 2018

C. Bertschy @SwissMinipeople - Jan 18, 2018

Another hot day in Melbourne @rogerfederer #AusOpen2018
rene stauffer‏ @staffsky - Jan 27, 2018

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content