Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open 2018 Press Conferences

4 posters

Go down

Normal Australian Open 2018 Press Conferences

Post by norinchi Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Australian Open 2018 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference (13 Jan.)

YouTube Australian Open TV  

Published on Jan 13, 2018
Roger Federer talks about expectations, how he is feeling and how great it is to be back at the 2018 Australian Open.

Press Conference Transcript - Jan. 13, 2018 (Pre-Tournament)

Roger Federer

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Yesterday we saw you play alongside the Marvel superheroes. If you could have a super power, what would it be and what would you use it for?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, flying. The hammer, Thor's hammer.

No, I like the superheroes. It was great fun. I mean, my kids are there, as well. I think here also for Tennis Australia, the Australian Open, to do that every year, I think it's great. This year having the superheroes was great fun. I really enjoyed myself.

Q. Sitting in that chair now compared to one year ago, how do you feel within yourself about your expectations compared to a year ago?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, totally different. You know, this year I hope to win the first few rounds and get rolling hopefully, whereas last year I was just hoping to win. It was more of a 'let's see what happens' kind of tournament, maybe similar to what Novak or Stan or others are going through this year. It's like, let's just see what happens.

I'm not at 100%, but you never know in a week's time what's going to be happening. If you're in the draw, you give yourself a chance. That's what happened for me last year. All ended up way better than I thought it would, as you know.

Yeah, it was the tournament of the year for me, no doubt about it. All the five-setters, as well. Having no expectations was so nice after all these years always having expectations, like now this year again.

With age, I feel like, you know, I play down my chances just because I don't think a 36-year-old should be a favorite of a tournament, it should not be the case. That's why I see things more relaxed, you know, at a later stage of my career.

Q. Realistically you are probably the favorite, so what do you make of that?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, yeah, maybe that's some people's opinion maybe. You know, I feel like maybe somebody like a Rafa, with the year that he's had, and Novak with the six titles he's had here, even if it's unknown how he's feeling, they could very well be the favorites, too.

At the end of the day, it's all just talk beforehand. The draws are always tough, you know, I must admit. Never look at a draw and think, That was lucky, that was a bad draw. It's always tough because everybody can play.

My focus, yeah, needs to be early because I have my own problems, you know, to get through my section of the draw, my game. That's my focus, not the other players really further down the line.

It's nice that one year later I am 2 in the world and seeded highly. Okay, I have even more points to defend this year rather than last year. Last year I was looking at slipping outside the top 30. This year that's not going to happen.

It's just great to be back. I'm so, so happy the Australian Open, it's time again. I can't believe it's been a year, but it's okay. I'll make the most of it.

Q. Are you happy with the last week of practice? Everything went as you wanted?
ROGER FEDERER: Uh-huh. Busy. A lot going on with media, sponsors, practice. It was intense. I was able to practice as much as I've wanted to, which is good, which I didn't do at the US Open. There it was all about managing the energy and the body, hoping to be able to play. Whereas here, it's been constantly playing, practice how hopefully I can play during the Australian Open.

The Hopman Cup went very well. It was a great preparation last year. I think it's going to be helpful again for me this year because the court plays exactly the same in Perth and here in Melbourne.

Yeah, practice is perfect. Nothing to complain about.

Q. You practiced with David Goffin. What do you think of his chances here? You could face him in the quarters. Last time you played at ATP World Tour Finals, he beat you.
ROGER FEDERER: I think he's going to have a good year. I'm sure the year end he had with the amount of tournaments that he was able to play and also win, then beat the higher-ranked players, I think that's going to give him some confidence, some information also about how to approach bigger matches, how to play against the best players.

Beating the likes of myself and Rafa in the same tournaments is something that maybe is never going to happen again, to beat that kind of amount of players in a short period of time. Also the Davis Cup, I think last year, you know, helped him to grow, again, as a player.

So I think he's going to be tough to beat. He's in his prime right now. So I expect him to be tough, no doubt.

Q. Rafa said yesterday he thought tennis should maybe look at the number of injuries that the top players have suffered recently. Do you think there's any need for that, or do you think it's a bit of coincidence what's been happening the last year or two?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, for me it was a coincidence, you know. Then again, I guess it's a little bit normal, too, not to be always 100% fit and healthy. The moment when top guys are hurt, you guys know about it. So it's not like we can cover it up so easily, you know. There's maybe many other players that are injured right now, but we don't talk about it because they're playing on Court 25. I think that also makes a bit of a difference.

But, I mean, the ATP is looking into it. From what I heard, there was actually less injuries throughout. Okay, then what is an injury? How bad is an injury? It's all interpretation, I guess.

You know, I always said it like the moment I guess you reach 30, it's normal to maybe have some signs of usage of the body, whatever you want to call it, you know.

But the players and their trainers and the tour and everybody should try their very best, you know, to try to make sure they can avoid injuries. Is that by playing less? Is that by training different? Is that by playing a different schedule?

Whose responsibility is it at the end of the day? I think it's the players. Sometimes you do get unlucky. Like a soccer team, sometimes you have seasons where more guys are hurt than others.

I think we're professional, we know how to warm up, we know what to do. Later on things become a bit more tricky. But I think that goes with the business.

Q. When people talk about injuries like Andy Murray had, Novak Djokovic had, they say they're baseline grinders, bound to injure themselves more, whereas Roger, he has a less physically demanding game. How much does that ignore the sheer hard work which has to be put in to get a 36-year-old body ready for the court? And is there a particular training thing you have to do that you don't look forward to?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, the off-season is tougher than playing tournaments - for me anyway. I work hard in the off-season to create a base that serves me well throughout the season, and then I rework the base time and time again throughout the season. I think that's very important.

Now, I think attacking tennis also has a lot of wear and tear on the body because being highly explosive is something that's a big challenge. Playing more of a reactive game is maybe more physical in the sense that you play longer rallies, you spend more time on the court, but it's always pretty much the same. It's a similar rhythm. There's not that much sprints going on in this regard.

Then again, we talk about Murray and Djokovic being grinders. I mean, I think they actually play quite aggressive. To be honest, everybody. Even Rafa is standing closer to the baseline normally than he ever has in the past as well.

Look, I just think injuries can occur in one single moment when you come down from a serve. You're like, How did that happen? Sometimes you just don't know. Sometimes it's unexplainable how certain injuries happen.

I've played thousands of matches in my life, and I'm sure I've gotten lucky throughout my career. But sometimes you have to take a minute and talk to the team about it, like how we're going to approach these next three months, next year, next day. Everything needs to be perfectly planned, I think, to avoid as many injuries as possible.

Q. When you look back on your last season, you said you picked up Nishikori's match here. Why did you pick up that match? Was that a turning point for your career last season?
ROGER FEDERER: Not my career, but it was a big match because I played a great match against Berdych I think the round before, then I played against Kei in the next match. I was down 5-Love in the first set thinking, Okay, that might be the end of my Australian Open run.

I fought back in that set, came back to the breaker, almost won the set, could have won the set. I ended up losing it. I thought, Okay, at least I fought, probably going to lose this whole match now, but at least I gave it a go.

Probably paid off because I was the fitter player in the fifth set, which was great. At an older age, after everything I went through in the off-season, it actually did pay off. I think it gave me a lot of, lot of information and confidence moving forward.

Also the way I felt the day after, and two days after, when I played Zverev. I felt fresh, ready to go. It was a great sensation. It was a great feeling, really, to be honest.

I think the Kei match was definitely very important for my run for the entire season last year. Yes, I was very happy.

Q. Given your current form, the events that you've been involved in like Laver Cup, Hopman Cup, would you say you're enjoying your tennis more than ever at the moment?
ROGER FEDERER: I've always enjoyed it, you know. Do I enjoy it more now? It's unfair if I say yes, because I felt like I loved the time when I was coming up and playing my heroes from TV. I mean, that was extremely cool, you know. It's like a little boy in the candy store back in the day.

When I was No. 1 in the world, winning all these tournaments, that was a lot of fun, too. That was okay (smiling).

Now it's different. Now I have a big family. I have a lot of friends that travel the world with me. I get to see familiar faces again at all these events because I've made so many friends over the course of my career. I'm so happy to come back to Melbourne, see all my friends that live here in Melbourne, so forth.

It just seems that it's nice that it's never actually gone away, the fun aspect of actually enjoying the travel, coming back to Australia. Yeah, it's great times in my life and in my career that we can make it all work, that I can still play tennis. My wife is incredibly supportive. It's definitely great times. Is it the best ever? I'm not sure. It's definitely a lot of fun right now.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Australian Open 2018 Press Conferences ASAPsportsLogo1
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Australian Open 2018 Press Conferences

Post by Márcia Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks, Dinora. He seems so happy, so relaxed.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2018 Press Conference (1R)

Post by Cromar Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Australian Open 2018 - 1R   (vs A. Bedene - Jan. 16)

YouTube  Australian Open TV

Published on Jan 16, 2018
Roger Federer speaks to the press following his first-round win on Night 2.

Press Conference Transcript - Jan. 16, 2018 (1R)

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER/A. Bedene

6-3, 6-4, 6-3

Q. The courts, do you think it's slower than last year, faster or about the same speed?
ROGER FEDERER: The same. I'd say it's the same. But last year is a long time ago. I feel it's pretty much the same. It felt fast tonight. Normally at the nighttime it feels slower.

But I think Bedene and myself, we were really trying to take the ball early, go through our shots. It felt pretty fast out there tonight. That's how it also felt last year.

When you do serve well and connect well on shots, you get rewarded for it.

Q. Monfils is playing against Djokovic in the next round Thursday. He says top players, when they come back, even after six months, they're as good as they were before just because they come back and they're ready. Is it that easy?
ROGER FEDERER: Is it that easy? I don't know. For me it wasn't simple either. It always looks that way when we do return. It just seems logical.

I do maybe think if you put Rafa, myself and Novak together, I think because we have margin maybe against a lot of the players normally, when we do come back, we can find that level maybe. Even though we're not feeling good, we can still find a way and eventually play good again, whereas others would struggle early on and it becomes more difficult.

Yeah, I think then because of our results, we just back ourselves. Mentally and physically we're going to be there. The question is, is our game good enough.

I think that's why it's very interesting to follow the comebacks of the great players that have been injured: Stan, Novak of course this week.

This is a big test to play Gael in the second round. I think it's going to be very interesting. I didn't see much of Novak today, but the result shows he was breezing. But this one's clearly a big test against Gael. Follow that one closely.

Q. You've watched a lot of Belinda Bencic over the past two Januarys. She won yesterday. What specifically did you like about her game when you saw her?
ROGER FEDERER: I'm not the coach, but I can talk about women's tennis a little bit. It is true, I've spent some time with her. I saw her play by my side in the doubles. I'm very happy for her. She was able to keep her streak going from end of last year through the Hopman Cup, now here as well. Even on Rod Laver Arena against Venus, she's able to bring it. That shows the pressure situations are not really a problem for her. She's still so young, she has a great career ahead of herself.

I try to help her where I can. Like, I feel like that's what you do when you spend time together. I've gone through so many things in my career that I know have worked and not worked. You can tell her about these experiences.

She works so hard with Melanie, Martina's mom, and also her dad over all the years. Now she has a new team that seems to work really well.

I'm just happy she's in a good place and results are showing. I hope she's going to have a great year this year, not like last year where things were really complicated with her wrist and stuff.

She changes direction very well, great returns, always on the offense. Still so much to improve. It's a great base to have really.

Q. What was it like out there with Will Ferrell? Are you a fan of his?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, a surprise. I didn't know that was going to happen. That was fun. I haven't met him a lot, to be honest. Actually I saw him when I started the match, then I totally forgot he sat there. At the end, I realized he is still actually there. That's when he walked out onto center court.

It was nice to have Hollywood present here in Melbourne in combination with tennis. People seemed to enjoy themselves. Great to see Johnny Mack, too. Love the guy. It was a fun interview, I thought. I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed it.

Q. Who is the better interview, Will Ferrell or John McEnroe?
ROGER FEDERER: Totally different. Will Ferrell is a bit more intense, I thought. I was a bit scared. Stood there, didn't look at me, just was like focusing on the questions. I was a bit worried it was going to come my way. I'm happy I dodged some questions there (laughter).

Q. Since you turned pro, you've done something like three thousand on-court interviews after matches.
ROGER FEDERER: I'm not sure about that.

Q. How do you keep up your interest, your enthusiasm for it?
ROGER FEDERER: For any interview, you mean?

Q. Yes.
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I don't know how I do it.

Well, number one, I think talking in different languages is always an interesting thing. So that's challenging for me, trying to get the sentences right, to be quite honest. Swiss German it's simple. It's where I feel most comfortable, clearly.

But I kind of grew up with it a little bit, so I know how to handle it now and also take joy out of it. I think it is important. I try to see the press as sort of a bridge. Hopefully it's a good story for the people who read it or are watching it on TV, that they think, I don't know, tennis is a great sport, it's actually interesting. I'm giving them maybe more than just like, My forehand worked well, the second serve I have to improve. You walk away. That was boring. I always try to give it a little bit something extra.

I've maybe said a few too many things sometimes, but I try to be honest. For the most part, you know, it's served me well. I've always tried to remain myself as well. It's always been a challenge not to change over time but adapt to the new situation of being higher ranked, being asked interesting questions over the years.

I know you guys have a job to do. I also have to do it. I felt like sometimes we overdo it. Too many press conferences after every single game. If there's a better story than me winning a match 6-2, 6-2 in the first round at some tournament, I think that deserves the credit, not maybe my match. I get it. They have to put me in front of the press. I just go with it.

Sometimes also I wish I was elsewhere. Tonight I'm happy to be here, so it's all good (smiling).

Q. You said you get it. Do you think some of the other players don't get it?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, others struggle with it. I feel they're fearful of you guys just because they feel they have been misinterpreted in the past. I felt that in the very beginning of my career. Very quickly as a player, if you get a certain personality, you get put in a certain drawer. He's the funny guy, he's the serious guy, he's the boring guy, whatever. You fight with that for quite a long period of time. Sometimes, of course, you are right. It's not a confidence builder then sometimes.

That power of the microphone is a funny thing. Some players I think struggle with it. I would like to see more players just being really themselves in front of the press, being more relaxed about it, not worrying so much about making mistakes.

You guys know not every word should be twisted. You know maybe how he meant it, don't make him pay so badly for a mistake. You'd rather see that than robots left, right and center. I feel like sometimes some players have gotten a little bit too robot like. I wish they would let loose and be themselves. I try to always do that. It's not always easy, but I try hard.

Q. Apparently 92 million people saw your video with the pasta, with Barilla. I think there were 60 million on YouTube, 30 on Facebook, I don't know.
ROGER FEDERER: Keep going, keep going. Get to the point (smiling).

Q. How long did it take you to do that, where you put the leaf that has to go on the pasta?
ROGER FEDERER: For the whole thing, 10 hours, in Milano.

Q. Were you able to do the tomato changes with the balls?
ROGER FEDERER: Yes, that was not a problem. The fire, flipping.

Q. Which was more difficult?
ROGER FEDERER: They wanted me to be careful when I chopped fast. Then I pretended not to look sometimes even. That was a bit weird.

No, it was good fun. The thing with the leaf at the end, with the basil...

Q. It's not basil. They're saying it's mint.
ROGER FEDERER: Anyway, maybe 45 minutes for that sequence. A lot of focusing.

Q. It's meant to be a hot one on Thursday. Will you be putting a request for another night match?
ROGER FEDERER: If I can choose, I always prefer to be in the same. Either I play all day, all night. I know it's not always possible. I'll ask for a night match just because I played night tonight. It's just easier, to be honest, rather than going from night to day to night to day to night to day. It's also good for the rhythm, the feel on the court.

At the end, the tournament makes the call. They have a lot of matches. Sure, you can put in requests. At this level of the tournament, so many guys, you don't know what's going to happen.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2018 Press Conference (2R)

Post by Cromar Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:16 am

Australian Open 2018 - 2R   (vs J.L. Struff - Jan. 18)

Published on Jan 18, 2018
Roger Federer on how he prepares for the Australian Open and why he chooses to play the night games at the Australian Open 2018.

Press Conference Transcript - Jan. 18, 2018 (2R)

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER/J. Struff

6-4, 6-4, 7-6

Q. Everybody else suffered a brutal day in the heat. The conditions tonight were pretty close to perfect?
ROGER FEDERER: Yes. I mean, Rod Laver are usually perfect, especially at nighttime. We know it can be very hot here in Australia. I remember the days when we had four days of 40 degrees in a row a few years back. Now we got two. Most of the guys now have to play in 30-plus degrees conditions.

It's definitely a challenge. It's hard to prepare for that in some ways. But you know when you come down here that can happen. Sure, I'm happy I played at nighttime. But like I said on court, I would back myself playing during the daytime also. Used to go to Dubai when it was 45. 38 seems almost okay.

The problem is at that temperature, sometimes your body just reacts funny just because it does. It is hard to get out of it, that feeling of not feeling well. Sure, I was watching the other players suffer. As long as nothing bad happens, it's all good.

Q. The last few years you've chosen to acclimatize in Perth rather than the Middle East.
ROGER FEDERER: I was in Brisbane for three years.

Q. How has that helped you acclimatize?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, look, I don't know how different Brisbane is from Perth in terms of the weather. It's pretty much the same.

I've done all sorts of preparations. I did preparations with Tony Roche in Sydney, went back to Doha, then came back for Melbourne. That worked.

This time I've done Perth now twice. I've done Brisbane in the past. I feel like having kids, later on in my career it feels like Hopman Cup is a really good option for me. I love that there is not 450 players like here basically. There's only maybe 20 players, which is great.

Wonderful center court. Great crowds. Not that that wasn't the case in Brisbane. But it is a jetlag that's simpler coming from Dubai. It's only four hours. I didn't have any jetlag. The kids also not. I always think of them first. For us, it worked very well this year again, like last year. Plus I won, so seems to be working so far.

Q. You said at the start of the week someone your age shouldn't be favored. You haven't had to overexert yourself so far. Are you starting to believe maybe you should be favorite?
ROGER FEDERER: It doesn't matter what I think. It doesn't matter who makes those calls. Still a lot of tennis to be played.

I did say the first two matches you're going to see who's doing well and not so well. With Stan, we saw he's definitely not at 100% yet. Novak seems good to me, coming through the heat today. I think that was a good test for him. Should definitely give him confidence. Zverev seems also to be in good shape. Rafa the same.

I think the suspects, the usual suspects, that we thought could win the tournament, seem to be around. Yeah, but there's definitely some guys missing, so the draw is going to have some openings. DelPo is also in good shape.

Should be an interesting tournament. I'm happy I'm still part of it really, because I knew Struff could be tough today.

Q. Talk about how our game has changed over these many years. What do you think the key things in terms of change are since you came into the game?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, if you look at the last two matches that I've played, I felt like both of my opponents pretty much kind of went for broke. That's from the baseline. Usually we don't have that so much back in the day. If you had a dangerous player, he was a serve-volley player, a chip-and-charge player.

Today everybody, when they see a mini chance to get on the offensive, they just go for it. I think the racquet and string technology has allowed that to happen, especially on faster courts. As you don't want to be in defense too much, the moment you see an opening, you go for it.

It keeps the points short now, too. It's just become extremely athletic in the process. I feel like that's been the biggest difference for me in recent years now.

Q. There's been a lot of talk about levels of prize money.
ROGER FEDERER: Level of?

Q. Prize money, percentage of prize money, the possibility of a players union. What are your thoughts on those?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, you got to be exact. Level of prize money where, what, how?

Q. The percentage of the revenue, the tournament that's paid in prize money, is it enough?
ROGER FEDERER: Which tournament?

Q. Well, all.
ROGER FEDERER: It does matter.

Q. The slams in particular.
ROGER FEDERER: Yes, they could definitely pay more, no doubt about it. But we don't need to talk about that right now in the third round or second round of a tournament.

They know that. We're not partners. We're just players. It's always hard to rally. We had a good agreement, in my opinion, that made the Grand Slams happy, the players pretty happy. Seems like that has run its course.

The moment that happens, there's not the same increases any more, so players have to rally, get back together again, put in the effort. The Grand Slams know that. They will only react when we do so. We're ready to do it. It's going to be the same process over and over again.

It's a bit boring, to be honest, always having to ask for stuff. If you look at the revenue, the sharing process, it's not quite where it's supposed to be. But, look, you can't go from here to right there in a day. We know that. We just hope they realize and they do appreciate us maybe more all the time and not just in waves, you know what I mean?

But it's all good. We have good contacts with the slams. It's all good. But it's going to be a never-ending story.

Q. A separate players union, is that something you'd be in favor of?
ROGER FEDERER: I think what's good is that all the players are talking to one another. When the players don't talk, nothing gets done. If the players talk to one another, it's interesting. It's not something we can do every day. We don't have the players in the same room at all times. We can get together in locker rooms, have a quick huddle-up meeting all together. But to get organized all ourselves, it's not always easy because everybody has different schedules. We just got to make a conscious effort to get together and talk to one another.

I think that's good, whatever the topic is, to be honest. I'm all for that. It seems like we're talking, which is a good thing.

Q. Did you see the film "Battle of the Sexes"? If you have, what did you think of it?
ROGER FEDERER: I watched it on the plane. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a nice movie.

Q. Was there anything that you learned that you didn't know about before?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, a little bit. I mean, I knew some of it, but not all the details. It's Hollywood, you know. Like the Borg-McEnroe movie. Was exactly every situation like this? I don't think so. Same in the "Battle of the Sexes" movie.

But as a spectator, as a guy that goes to the movies, sees this movie on the plane, it's powerful, it's moving. It was great acting. The story with Billie Jean is a very interesting one. She's always been incredibly supportive of me. Of course, I thought it was nice the movie was done about her because it was important times in our sport at the time.

Q. Do you feel like the organizers are doing enough to look after the welfare of the players? There's so many tournaments now, forced to play in conditions like today. Do you think you're being looked after well enough?
ROGER FEDERER: I think so, yes. But of course, on a day like today, what do you do? You stop all matches? The lucky guys on the big courts, they get to play under the roof. The other guys get postponed till the next day? Is that great? That's not great either. Is everybody going to finish at 3 in the morning, like a rainy day in New York. I've had that, too. Is that better? I'm not sure, honestly.

At the same time you do know when you do come to Australia with the heat, it's going to be sometimes problematic. Everybody has to face the similar issues.

I mean, I can't complain. ATP is doing a nice job. There's a lot of physios. There's a lot of communication going on from the officials towards us. Same with the slam level. I feel like we're all trying to coexist. It seems great. That's why I think you see a lot of players still being on tour, because it is a nice tour. It's fun. I enjoy seeing all the tournament directors, all the tournaments.

There's a lot of things we can still improve. Look, we've come a long way in all these years. I'm not here to complain. I'm actually very happy. That's why I'm still on tour.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2018 Press Conference (3R)

Post by Cromar Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:24 am

Roger explains how he tried to cheer up Zverev after his loss in the third round.

Australian Open 2018 - 3R   (vs R. Gasquet - Jan. 20)

Published on Jan 20, 2018
Roger talks about his tennis career after in press conference at the Australian Open 2018.

Press Conference Transcript - Jan. 20, 2018 (3R)

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER/R. Gasquet

6-2, 7-5, 6-4

Q. That was your 90th win here. Tell us some of your favorite memories from your wins here.
ROGER FEDERER: Probably my first round here in 2000 against Chang, I believe it was. That was cool. Clearly my first win here. The semifinal match against Ferrero, securing world No. 1 the following Monday, was big for me, a couple days after winning my first Australian Open against Safin.

I had a lot of five-setters on this court, too. Never really had a bad tournament, to be honest. Even in the year I lost to Seppi, I thought I was actually playing all right. Even the Safin match I ended up losing in '05 was epic.

Of course, all the matches -- the two finals with Rafa here in '09, which was the best we ever played against each other, I believe, then last year's.

2010 also, the first time I won, I think it was my first major with the girls. That was nice.

Q. How do you assess your game today against somebody you've beaten so many times now?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I was hoping I could play at that level. No, I'm very happy that I was able to rise to a level that I needed to beat Richard.

It was tough. The score shows it, as well. I could have done it maybe a bit faster. At the same time I'm happy to have done it the way it happened. I was pleased. I think I had some good shots. Totally different conditions today. From 10% humidity, we went to 75%. That was interesting. I think we were both feeling it. All of a sudden you were sweating like mad. It was different.

I was happy the way I played. I also thought Richard, we both played a good level again, so it was fun.

Q. I heard you talking about your kids on court. A lot of players say they wouldn't want their kids to be professional tennis players. Sounded like you wouldn't mind. Would you be happy if they followed in your footsteps?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I hope they don't just because we don't need another 25 years on tour. No, I'm just a supportive parent. I can't tell which direction they're going to go. If there's going to be anything in sports or somewhere in finance or business, I have no idea where they're going to go.

All I know is I'll be incredibly supportive of them. I think it's great for them to do sports early on in their life. I think it's good for them. Winning, losing, that comes a little bit later, but you learn a lot from that. I did anyway.

I think also you make a lot of friends through sports. You get to know yourself a bit better. It's healthy. You move around. You go outside. I'm a big believer in these things. I'm happy they all do play tennis a little bit because basically literally all our friends who have kids as well, they all play tennis.

I wouldn't want my kids to be the only ones who don't play tennis, so with my wife we have sort of a little requirement on things they have to do in their life, and tennis is unfortunately one of them. It's not because we want them to. It's because I think it would be a pity if they played no tennis at all.

Q. You spoke the other night about how important you think it is to give good answers, think about things properly. Specific to press conferences, do you also get something out of them yourself? Do you use them to process the match?
ROGER FEDERER: Sometimes, yeah. Sometimes I feel like I probably said too much. At the same time that's why sometimes my coaches are also watching the press conference, because they feel they also get some insight, some information of how I felt.

I can replay the match also maybe again through my head. Yeah, that's why sometimes I take enjoyment out of doing the press conference. Sometimes I really have to tell myself, Okay, let's try to keep the answers short, let's try to move on here, let's try to talk about the match, not just about, I don't know, a million other things.

That's what happened in the other press conference. Out of 10 answers, I basically give nine not about the match. I didn't even remember talking about Struff, who played a good match. No credit to the guy. I feel like that is when it becomes a little bit like, Why am I here? What am I talking about? All the other things but not the match? I'm not sure if it's the right thing for me to be in the press room. It should be mostly about the matches, to be honest.

Q. Did you learn fairly quickly on tour you could get something out of it?
ROGER FEDERER: Took a while. I mean, I think I was always open and honest, to some extent. I was very wary, very afraid to be misquoted, misunderstood. I was, because you guys didn't know me. You didn't know exactly what I meant. You interpreted it in a way that you thought you understood, then something else comes out, I'm disappointed. I would have taken it personal maybe.

We've had issues in the Swiss press with other athletes in the past. I just said, Look, I don't want to have a 15-year or 20-year career where I go in the press room, and it's like a shocker and a horror show every time I look around. I can't believe this guy is sitting here again.

I just said, I'll take that out of the equation. I'll just go in there, give solid answers. And through time I started to really enjoy myself, which is a good thing actually.

Q. Zverev told in his press conference after his tough loss you saw each other in the locker room, and what you said to him helped him a lot after the match. Could you describe what you told him? If you don't want to, can you describe what you think about his tough loss today.
ROGER FEDERER: No, look, after a match like today, I mean, he's still very young, still up-and-coming to some extent. He's still seeking the breakthrough on the Grand Slam level.

I just think it's important to sometimes take a step back and actually see the good things you've done, give yourself time, maybe set the bar a bit lower. First let's maybe try to look for a quarters or a semifinals, not just right away think coming to the Australian Open, US Open, I have to win this thing.

I know people talk, but for the player, it's not easy if you've never been there. I remember I had a hurdle to pass the quarters. I only did that back in 2003 for the first time. I was 22. Either I played quarters or I lost first round.

That's what I told Sascha. I said, Be patient about it. Don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure. Learn from these mistakes. Whatever happened happened. Unfortunately you have to believe in, how you say, the process you're right now in. You had a good off-season. You're working hard. You're doing the right things. It's maybe not paying off at the slam level, but just stay calm, don't dig yourself in a hole. There's no reason for that right now, I think. There's already enough stuff and pressure from you guys.

I just thought some nice words would maybe cheer him up, get him over the loss a few more hours earlier than it normally would. It's supposed to hurt. I'm sure it did. He looked crushed when I saw him. I gave him a tap on the shoulder and said, C'mon, it's not too bad. It could be worse.

Q. With you and Richard out there on court today, there was so much flow and balance. Does it give you satisfaction that you have such grace, artistry in your game? Do you consider yourself an artist?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I mean, I enjoy when we have good points. I like to see, I don't know, the way he saved match point. The first one was a backhand down the line. Feels like he can do that in his sleep. I admire that. I take pleasure out of him making that shot even though for a second I thought that this could have been the match point I had and end up losing the match. That really went through my mind.

But I do take pleasure out of his shot-making, my opponent's shot-making, because I know how much hard work has been put into it. Especially also if technically it looks nice and the sound, that's great.

At the end winning matters, not so much how you make it look and stuff. That just happened to be the way it is. Some people prefer to see one-handed backhands being played over double-handed. I don't have a preference necessarily. Of course, when I was growing up, my heroes were all one-handed players because it was easier to relate to those than the double-handers.

I don't know, is sport art? Possibly. Depends who talks about it.

Q. Richard said your serve was still impossible to deal with from the return. Since your back injury, how did you succeed to get back to this level?
ROGER FEDERER: Just the back being fine again. The problem is, when you have back issues, when you're scared or you don't have the confidence in your body, it robs you by, I don't know, let's say any percent, 20% or 30% of your capabilities maybe on that particular shot only, but it's enough to make you almost half the player that you normally are.

Sometimes it takes time, you know. When it hurts, it hurts. It's just not point-for-point mentality because it's difficult. Finally when you're free again, you find better zones, more consistency. Consistency is a big thing in our sport. Can you serve like this for five hours? That's the goal. When you're carrying an injury, clearly it's tougher.

I think right now I'm fine again. Look, bad backs always come and go I think for all of us players. They come and go. You just have to deal with it as good as possible. You hope they don't hit you at the wrong times, and that when it does hit you, you get over it very quickly. Sometimes rest is the only option, to be quite honest.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2018 Press Conference (4R)

Post by Cromar Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Australian Open 2018 - 4R   (vs M. Fucsovics - Jan. 22)

Published on Jan 22, 2018
Roger Federer talk about his winning match against Marton Fucsovics at the Australian Open 2018.

Press Conference Transcript - Jan. 22, 2018 (4R)

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER/M. Fucsovics

6-4, 7-6, 6-2

Q. What is the biggest difference between playing in the day and playing at night for you?
ROGER FEDERER: That there is a difference. That's basically it.

You know, you might get a bit more wind in the daytime. Usually in the evening it always slows down. And then here in Australia, actually, between maybe 11:30 and 1:30 there is a tough spot in the sun when you're serving. More so than anywhere else in the world, to be honest.

It flies a bit more in the daytime, just because it's warmer. Yeah, that's it.

Q. How did you go about studying your opponent today?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, because I practiced with him for a few days in a row in Switzerland. That helped, you know, knowing his strength and weaknesses a little bit. He was not completely the unknown opponent that maybe people thought he was.

Because in practice I also play the best-of-five set practice match against him in Switzerland. So when you play, you know, multiple sets in a short period of time against somebody, you start to understand their strengths and weaknesses a little bit.

But then again, it's been a while. I didn't see his matches. I haven't watched him play much on TV. I started forgetting a little bit on how he played exactly.

The goal for me was really trying to be focused on my own game and take it to him and play tough.

But he hung with me for a long time. So it was a good match.

Q. You're playing Tomas next. Could you talk a bit about the match you played against him last year? I think most of us watching were surprised by how well you played and wondered if you surprised yourself that day, as well.
ROGER FEDERER: Well, against Tomas sometimes in the past when I did play well things went my way, you know. Same for him when he beat me on those occasions, he also played extremely well.

I don't remember what I thought was going to happen in the third round. I just remember looking at the draw and thinking what a horrid draw it is. But, okay, if I lose third, fourth, or quarters, doesn't really matter because it's all about the same as long as I get home injury-free and I'll be happy.

I think I was just in a good place and played free. I don't know if Tomas was playing good or not. I don't even remember. I do remember the Miami match where I saved a couple of match points, to be honest, you know, a few months after that. I started very well against him, and then eventually I lost my way and should have lost the match and ended up winning it. Ended up winning the tournament. Sometimes you get lucky, you know.

We have had some good ones over the years going back all the way to the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to play against him. He seems in good shape, and I'm happy he's over his back issues that he also had at the end of last year. That's a good thing.

Q. Last night Kyrgios captured the imagination of so many people. He plays with great athleticism and certain freedom but doesn't have a coach. I don't think you had a coach or an agent for a while, either. Could you talk about him as a young player and where he's at, what you think about his game, what he has to do?
ROGER FEDERER: From what I heard he has a coach. I didn't have a coach for only about a year and a half. Maybe not even after I split up with Peter Lundgren, I believe, back at end of 2003. Had a trial with Tony Roche in September of '04, I remember.

I think at one point it's good to have coaches, you know, to be honest, because they remind you day by day, you know, the little things if that's what you're looking at. Other guys do an entire organization for you. Some guys are really there to inspire you and motivate you. Everybody needs different type of coaching, you know. That can come from any angle. Doesn't almost necessarily need to be a tennis coach, per se.

But I'm sure Nick has got some people in his team that where he gets what he needs for the matches, you know, to be honest.

I enjoyed the match last night. I watched it all. It was close. I thought that Nick was serving unbelievable again, and Grigor was doing an unbelievable job of staying with him. He was playing very well. I was impressed at Grigor's grit of staying in there with him for as long as he did.

It was a tough match, and, sure, we can expect more. But, you know, now we'll see what happens. Davis Cup is next for him, so, yeah. It's not one match or one week. It's every week of the year. I'm excited to see what's next for Nick now.

Q. What is the importance of Pierre Paganini in your career?
ROGER FEDERER: Very important. He's been -- I guess I was very lucky, you know, to meet Pierre when I was 14 years old and I joined the National Tennis Center. He was running the program as a fitness coach. He was also taking care of the tennis coaches and everything. Because he was already very experienced, having had, you know, with the Maleeva sisters, who were very successful; one played for Switzerland and the other for Bulgaria. He also worked with Marc Roset in the past, who was part of the Davis Cup team.

When I met him, he was already very experienced at the time and knew exactly, coming from decathlon, what to do in terms of fitness in tennis because he's very creative.

I worked there with him for a little bit for two years. He was taking more care of the older guys, Severin, my coach, actually. I saw him from time to time but I had a fitness coach who was using the methods that Pierre was telling him to do with us.

Eventually I starting with him -- I didn't work with him from 16 to 19 and starting in 19, ever since I worked with Pierre again, you can imagine the impact that he's had on my career as a fitness coach but also a little bit as a mentor, to be honest, because we do a lot of talking besides working. You always count an extra 45 minutes where we just talk about everything.

I love every session that, you know, we worked together, and without him I don't think I would have been as fit or as fast in my career, so a lot of credit goes to him.

Q. You played Berdych so many times in your career. Is it necessary to try and go see how he played here, or do you think you don't need that anymore?
ROGER FEDERER: I did watch a little bit, you know, today against Fognini. I saw a little bit against Del Potro. For me, I think personally it is important to see a little bit, just because he might be using different weapons this week, you know. He might be taking the ball earlier or later or serving different patterns, you know.

So it's good to know. Of course, the coaches are going to get more in depth of, you know, into Tomas' game. Me, personally, I'm going to try to focus on my own game, understand and absorb the information that I get from my coaches. But then sometimes it is good to see for myself a little bit, because I have the feeling of having played him but also see him play. I think that combination is important for a player.

Q. Talking about the coach, Ivan Ljubicic, what is he bringing up to you now different than maybe last year? Because when he started with you, we saw that you were changing a little bit your backhand in a way, attacking more, covering more. Now, where do you concentrate more your work?
ROGER FEDERER: I think as a team we are -- well, we're talking tactics a lot obviously before the matches right now. Like I explained before, it's really the little things, you know. At my level, when I train, you know, the quality needs to be good. I need to be reminded of a few things, but those things can be the crucial ones, you know. If they want me to try certain things, that can sometimes make a big difference in the game than not.

I feel like he's constantly thinking how he can make me a better player, you know. I think he does believe that I should play, you know, aggressive tennis. Severin thought the same. Edberg thought the same.

So I thought in this regard, I feel very comfortable and confident doing that. He fit in very nicely. He was friends with everybody, too, before he started working with us, which is clearly very helpful.

Q. The lob that went through the roof and that point that you won, is that something you practice often?
ROGER FEDERER: Oh, this one was the biggest joke of a point maybe I have ever played (smiling). That thing should be anywhere else but on the other side of the court in a position where you cannot finish the point. I did some good defense after that, but, yeah, normally you don't get that lucky. Thankfully it didn't decide the outcome of that second set. That would have been too much of a joke, to be honest (smiling).

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2018 Press Conference (QF)

Post by Cromar Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Australian Open 2018 - QF   (vs T. Berdych - Jan. 24)

Published on Jan 24, 2018
Roger Federer speaks following passage through to the Australian Open SF.

Press Conference Transcript - Jan. 24, 2018 (QF)

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER/T. Berdych

7-6, 6-3, 6-4

Q. What was the key to turning around the first set? Did your conversation with the chair umpire help you blow off some steam?
ROGER FEDERER: It was more just getting his thoughts on the whole situation because I was told now that he knew the call, so he could have told me it was in, which apparently it was, which I thought it was too. But then when he took the challenge away, I just wanted some explanations. So that was it.

I just tried to hang around, tried to play a bit more aggressive, get some rhythm going, because Tomas found that early. That's why I was under pressure. It was definitely very close, the turning point, and it ended up being for the entire match.

I played a great breaker. Got off to a good start there. But coming back from 5-2 in the first set, it was clearly big tonight.

Q. You had a rather interesting conversation with Jim after the match. You were speaking about fashion. Was that one of the most interesting conversations you've had?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I've had a lot of good ones with him over the years. I don't remember. I just tried to play along, have fun with it, too. Back in the day, we didn't have interviews after matches. At Wimbledon when you won the tournament, you got to hold the trophy for 10 seconds. That was it. Now we're having a whole ceremonial thing to it to give more insight to what a player thinks, what does he care about the fashion or not. I think it's fun. It's good.

Jim does a really nice job, I must admit. He keeps it fun but at the same time we get the thoughts on the future opponents, on the match that you've just played. He likes also to highlight the respect for the player you've just played, because without him there's no match really. I like that a lot.

I thought it was another funny one tonight.

Q. Apparently today Chung was a little worried about the speech he had to make at the end of his match. Have you learned how to deal with this in all these years?
ROGER FEDERER: A little bit. I don't think you have to be worried about your on-court interview. I understand the press room because you don't really know what's coming.

I don't think Jim is going to put you in an uncomfortable place. If you are struggling, he'll help you out. So I think the on-court interview is actually the easiest one, to be honest.

Q. You said in the interview that storytelling in sports is important. Is it an important thing in tennis?
ROGER FEDERER: I think so. I mean, there's a lot that can be said about where you come from, where you're playing, what you're going through, what you care about. It could be anything really.

I think the fans really enjoy that. To get a piece of clothing, whatever it may be, that reflects that. They really feel they're getting something from you. It's like the soccer jersey with the name on the back, very simple, and the number, in soccer.

In tennis, it's a bit different. We have the luxury to change our outfits many times during the season. We can really play around with it. I have been on tour for 20 years. I don't even know how many outfits I've played in. It's been good fun. Sometimes you overdo it, but so what.

Q. You talked about Rafa going out last night. Is part of you a little bit disappointed you won't get to have a rematch with your great rival?
ROGER FEDERER: I didn't think that way when he went out, honestly, because I'm in the quarters, about to play Berdych. I thought he was playing very well this tournament.

I know the rematch won't happen, but I'm not in the finals yet. You don't want to think too far ahead, what if, what if, because I feel that's exactly the moment when you stumble. That's why I think I was actually very nervous going into this match tonight, and that's why I struggled very early on. I knew the danger of Berdych. Seeing what has happened to so many other top seeds here in the draw, I was a bit wary going into tonight.

Q. Sorry if this is a British question, and I know he's on the other side of the draw, but can you give me your thoughts on Kyle Edmund?
ROGER FEDERER: Of course.

Q. Do you think he's ready to win a Grand Slam?
ROGER FEDERER: I haven't seen him play enough, to be quite honest, to make that call. Somebody who is in the semis, to me, seems is two steps away. A lot of stuff can happen. You play one good one, the other guy plays one bad one. Usually there's no bad matches any more in semifinal play.

It's a good situation to be in. He can hit freely now. No expectations whatsoever. He'll maybe never be in this position ever again: to have so little expectations in some ways. Even though you're young, first time in the semis, you're like, I'm going to tear this place into pieces, I've got incredible power right now. I feel like it should be very interesting.

I remember by chance watching his match against Jack Sock in Paris on the outside court when he led 4-Love in the third. He made a mess of it. It's nice to see the turnaround through the off-season, coming here, playing well. It's big for him, I think, because losing those types of matches, seeing what Jack Sock ends up doing, it kind of hurts in some ways. At the same time it makes you believe.

It's nice to see. It teaches a good lesson to a lot of the other players, that if you stick around, good things happen, like when he won his 39-degree heat match against -- I don't remember who that was against. But 7-5 in the fifth, that was tough. He fought it out. Next thing you know, he's playing great tennis. He recovered somehow, because he's young. Great, great effort. I'm very happy for him.

Q. You mentioned on court there are many new names on the scene. I don't think we've had unseeded semifinalists for like 10 years in a slam.
ROGER FEDERER: Really? Okay. You'll see probably more of that moving forward next year when we have 16 seeds.

Q. In terms of the development of this generation of early 20-somethings, can you talk a bit more about why you think that's a good thing.
ROGER FEDERER: I think it's a good thing. They got to make a move. I find it disappointing when their breakthroughs come at 27, because then we know them for seven years, let's say. I like it when we don't know the guys. I hardly know Chung. I've hardly spoken to him. I had one Nike appearance once with Edmund over in London. That's about it. Maybe otherwise I've shaken his hand twice and spoken a few words to him. In a way I like it, because it's really something totally new to me and to some extent for you guys, too.

It's not going to happen all the time. We like our rivalries that do exist on the tour. New names are good, from time to time, of course for the tour. I think next year when we'll have 16 seeds, it's going to be quite different.

I remember how it used to be, because I think it got changed '01. That's how I grew up with it. It's nice to go back to that. I do believe in some ways it's going to open some draws, but at the same time it's going to be some really tough ones from the get-go, which I think is a good thing. Those first weeks sometimes have become really dull sometimes.

Q. What do you think about Chung's tournament so far and your thoughts on playing him?
ROGER FEDERER: Look, I'm very excited to play Chung. I thought he played an incredible match against Novak. I mean, to beat him here is one of the tough things to do in our sport, I believe. I know that Novak maybe wasn't at 110%, but he was all right. He was giving it a fight till the very end. To close it out, that was mighty impressive.

I don't quite know exactly who else he beat throughout the tournament. But to bounce back from a Novak match and just somehow get it done today, this afternoon, that's tough. That shows that he's had good composure, a great mindset. Also physically he must have recovered because Novak is going to give you a bit of a workout.

I think it's an interesting match for me. I'll definitely have to look into how I need to play against him because he has some great qualities, especially defensively, like Novak has.

Q. You said he's a young player, recovers fast. What are the opportunities for you in that match?
ROGER FEDERER: Against Chung?

Q. Yes.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I'm not sure. I have to look into it. Right now I couldn't tell you how I need to play him. One thing I know is I'm going to be playing aggressive. I don't know how I'm going to do that exactly yet. I don't know exactly how he returns and how he serves exactly. Those are two major aspects to the game. Those start the points. I have to figure that part out a little bit tonight or tomorrow.

Tomas Berdych Press Conference (QF)

... Maybe he has a couple more gray hair!  Very Happy

Published on Jan 24, 2018
Tomas Berdych speaks following his QF exit on Night 10.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2018 Press Conference (SF)

Post by Cromar Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:40 am

Australian Open 2018 - SF   (vs H. Chung - Jan. 26)

Published on Jan 26, 2018
Roger Federer speaks to the media following his passage through to the Australian Open final.

Press Conference Transcript - Jan. 26, 2018 (SF)

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER/H. Chung

6-1, 5-2 (ret.)

Q. Would you have preferred a longer, tougher match tonight to prepare for the final?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, a normal end, yes. But I must admit, as well, you do take the faster matches whenever you can because there's enough wear and tear on the body, there's enough tough matches throughout the season that when they happen, you take them.

There's nothing you can do anyway about it. The thought process is not like what would have been better. I'm just happy I'm in the finals, to be honest. That was the goal before the match today. I was able to get there. Not under the circumstances I was hoping to or not planning with. But I played a good match. He struggled clearly with his movement. I was able to take advantage of that.

So for me clearly it was all good. I wish him a good recovery.

Q. You're playing Cilic in the final. Do you think anything has changed in his game since he won the US Open or it's more in the mentality he has to be able to be at this level consistently?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I definitely think him winning the US Open, like Stan winning here a few years ago, it gave them great belief they can do it. If the big moments come about, that they can attain this level. Not easily, but they can get there from time to time.

I think he played great against Rafa. I think the belief and the way he played very positive made him win that match because he didn't look good there for a while when he was down a set and a break and everything.

Even at the end of last year when I played him in the World Tour Finals in the round-robin, I think he lost all three matches maybe, but maybe should have won at least one of the first two and stuff. The way he came out against me was very much a winner's attitude: At least I'm going to take maybe one match home against Roger. I ended up playing a tough three-setter against him. I didn't feel I was facing a guy who had just lost two round-robin matches.

So I like his attitude. He's very professional. He's always very much the same regardless of whether he wins or loses. I like that attitude. On the court, he's a winner. You can see it on the way he behaves on the court. He's there to win and not just to be there. Sometimes you see other players you feel like they're happy to have made the quarters so far. I think he strives for more. I like those attitudes.

Q. Is there any part of your game you will have to improve against Cilic?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I just have to play a good match. At this point it's not about having to improve anything in particular. I think I've done everything pretty well, you know. I just hope I'm going to have a good start to the match. I hope I can mix up my game. I hope I can start serving well from the get-go, not get into too much trouble early. I hope I can read his serve and all these things.

I'm just pleased that actually my game has been good from the very beginning of the tournament so far. I mean, I've won all my matches without dropping a set. Clearly I was a bit lucky against Berdych in that first set. But things must be all right if I'm in this stage right now not having dropped a set and in the finals.

Q. Amazing at your age, with respect. Take it back 10 years, how do you feel now going into the final of the Australian Open compared to 10 years ago?
ROGER FEDERER: Hmm. I mean, it's obviously a totally different life, you know. I have four kids today. I didn't have that 10 years ago. Clearly my life has been turned upside down.

In terms of tennis, I think I see things also again a bit different, a bit more I guess wiser to some extent, maybe more laid back because in 2008, was I fighting with mononucleosis that year? I ended up losing in the semis.

That was a bit of a turning point in my career, to be honest. I felt I lost a step there for a little bit, for maybe six to nine months. I was able to sort of bounce back.

Yeah, so you go through different stages throughout your career. I'm happy I'm still around, still healthy, still playing good, give myself chances, playing the best. It's almost a good fun.

I never thought I was going to play a bit of a lesser schedule, which actually is quite enjoyable. I always thought I'm just going to keep on playing from January to November every single year, 20 something tournaments. But I was able to adapt to it. Maybe that's also one of the reasons I'm still out there.

Q. What was your plan for playing this opponent tonight?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I knew he was having issues with his feet going into it. But I knew he also had issues going into the match against Novak. He handled that very well. The same against Sandgren.

For me, I was trying to block that away and just play Chung himself. If he had no issues, well, that's normal. If he has issues, well, bad luck for him, and I'll take advantage of it.

But I played the first set without feeling him having really that many issues, to be quite honest. I was also very focused on my own game. In the beginning, I was trying to keep the points short. If I had to extend the rallies because he was doing a nice job of staying in them, you know, we'll have some tougher rallies early on. I thought that was not a bad thing for me either.

Then just trying to mix it up a little bit. I think you saw that with some short slices, making him come in, me trying to serve and volley. I didn't serve and volley as much as I needed to, but that was always an option I could have played and used.

As I realized that he was struggling, there was no need for me to push the envelope too much and take chances moving forward if I knew it was enough to be playing from the baseline against him.

Q. Did you and Marin in the Maldives really just bump into each other and decide to have a practice?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I was there first, I think, and he arrived later on the island. I was told that Marin was coming. I was like, Oh, that's cool. It's not that they warned me another tennis player is coming. It's all good, we're fine (smiling).

When he arrived, I didn't want to bother him. He didn't want to bother me. After two days, he wrote me: I'm here, too, in case you want to catch up and stuff, let me know.

I was like, Sure, let me know if you want to hit.

He was eager to hit because it's good to stay in the rhythm for both of us. We also met up later for drinks, met his fiancée. We had cake together, my whole family and him. We had a good time. It's not like we're hanging out all the time, but our paths crossed a few times. We actually went to practice twice for 45 minutes.

It's great fun. No coaches, no nothing, just the two of us on the court hitting balls. It was just nice and laid back. To get to know the man behind the tennis player, I guess, even though I got to know him better through the Laver Cup and so forth.

Q. When was that?
ROGER FEDERER: A couple months ago, end of November.

Q. You mentioned on court, you said how hard it is to win a title. What would number 20 mean to you?
ROGER FEDERER: 20 times special. I don't know what to tell you. It would be amazing. I can't believe how fast now the week has turned out to be. Yeah, I mean, it ain't just an easy trip to the finals. There's always a lot of work that goes into it during the tournament, focus, and also preparation beforehand. For many weeks and months before, you try to put yourself in the position, are you going to be ready in case a good semifinals or quarterfinals match at the Australian Open, so forth.

This is something you sort of plan from a long time ago. That's why when it does happen, it's a great feeling. Rewards the hard work in my team. It shows us that we did a lot of things right in the off-season, as well. That always gives you confidence, especially moving into the semis and finals when you're starting to hit the ball very nicely after the first few matches where it's always a bit more difficult.

Q. I am from Korea. In this semifinal, the performance of Chung is so weak than we hope. He reached the semifinal for the first time in this kind of major event. Can you tell us Chung's future possibilities.
ROGER FEDERER: I think he's going to be a very good player. I don't like to put too much pressure on players by saying they're going to win everything because I don't think it's fair. A lot of experts, such called experts, said I was going to be world No. 1, win everything. In a way it's funny and cool, but it's not so cool in hindsight. Afterwards, anything you achieve is normal. I find it disappointing. Getting to No. 1, winning Grand Slams, winning Masters 1000s, it ain't normal. It's extraordinary.

I think he's going to have a lot of success. At what stage, how much, we will see. I did see today why he beat the players like Novak, Sascha, other players in the past. He's very steady mentally. Today I'm sure he was having a lot of pain with his feet. Otherwise, why would you retire in such a big-match situation. And you couldn't tell almost. I like that about the idea of hiding any problems from the opponent. That was very impressive, to be honest.

Then just the way he plays tennis, his forehand and backhand. I know what he was capable to do against Novak in terms of defense, although today he couldn't show it. It's very impressive. I think it's going to give him a lot of possibilities moving forward. The question is with that kind of a game, you just got to take care of your body, also the schedule maybe.

It's very intense, his tennis. I wish him the best. I was very impressed.

Q. It was just announced you're going to have one of your fundraisers in California. What drew you to the Bay Area? Is it an appealing area for you?
ROGER FEDERER: I never played there. I've only once been to Google years ago with my coach Stefan Edberg at the time. That was fun. I never played in the Bay Area. I just thought West Coast was a great success last year when we played in Seattle. So clearly this year, again playing doubles with Bill Gates, also with Savannah in the doubles, Jack Sock, I think it's going to be great fun.

We had a small preview at the Hopman Cup, I guess, how much fun it could actually become. This evening, all of it again for a good cause. My foundation is something that's super important to me. I'm going to have a trip in April of this year, going down to Africa, to Zambia most likely.

Yeah, it's great that we can raise a lot of money. Bill is helping me to set up an evening beforehand so we can raise extra funds. I'm just very thankful. Yeah, can't wait to play in that area. Hopefully the stadium is going to sell out. So far ticket sales have gone well. Hopefully we can sell out quickly.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 am

oldlady wrote:^^^
I couldn't be here for quite some time and I want to thank you Cromar for the constant care and efforts you make to give us all the information we need and want to have. I do benefit from all this and want to express my thanks and appreciation for the way you make this forum function throughout the weeks/months.  Sincere thanks!!! Love it Thank you Smiley
Same here, oldlday. Also I am glad to notice people whoe names at least I knew from the original forum, and it makes me pleased. It felt quite lonely without forum for Roger, and his sites now are slightly oriented to different things.
It's not that he has forgotten, but he is a very busy man, who has and is still branching out in all directions. It is admirable, what they achieve, with this semi nomadic lifestyle yet still making the children be surrounded by family. Even with the comforts and assistance they can afford, it is a demanding life, and you have to have your full heart in it. It is a lot harder than it looks. I suppose the love, the togetherness makes it all cohere and be supportive. And Mirka, vow, what she does is no small thing! Roger is right when he acknowledges and thanks her: she is at the heart of this wonderful epic enterprise.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Normal AO Pressers

Post by Cromar Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 am

Australian Open 2018 - Final    (vs M. Cilic - Jan. 28)

Red Star  Red Star  Red Star     20th GS  Trophy Gold     Red Star  Red Star  Red Star      

Published on Jan 28, 2018
Roger chats to the press after he won his 20th grand slam title at the Australian Open 2018.

Press Conference Transcript - Jan. 28, 2018 (Final)

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER/M. Cilic

6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1

CRAIG TILEY: Roger Federer, 20 Grand Slam titles, Australian Open 2018 champion. Congrats. Well done. Cheers, everyone.

Australian Open 2018 Press Conferences DUpScCIXkAACFGV

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Roger.

Q. What were you thinking at the beginning of the final set?
ROGER FEDERER: Just really trying to get back winning a game again because he came back from 3-2 maybe and won four straight. So for me it was really just trying to break his momentum. Tried to serve well. Tried to get lucky a little bit. I think I was able to get that first game, at least get on the board. From then on, maybe momentum shifts a little bit, and it's exactly what happened.

I think experience helped me there a little bit, and also a little bit of luck, I felt like I needed a little bit tonight.

Q. Does number 20 have any particular significance to you?
ROGER FEDERER: The number?

Q. Yes.
ROGER FEDERER: Not the number, per se, no. I don't have a special memory with the number 20. Maybe if I have time to think about it, because thus far I was not allowed to think of it going into the match, because that's exactly when things go bad, when you think too far ahead. I think that was a tricky one tonight.

All day I was thinking, How would I feel if I won it, how would I feel if I lost it? I'm so close, yet so far. I think I was going through the whole match like this.

I've had these moments in the past, but maybe never as extreme as tonight. Getting to 20 is obviously very, very special, no doubt.

Q. Maybe it's a little early in the press conference, but could I persuade you, as the men's champion, to put a few words on the women's champion? You know Caroline for a while. How do you see her as a person and her achievement here?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, look, it was a kind of match people were hoping for. When you get it, your first one for Halep or Wozniacki, it doesn't come the easy way, a 6-2, 6-2 match. You have to fight for it. You think you have it, you lose it, in the end you still get it.

I was very happy for her, but also at the same time very sad for Simona. They both had brutal tournaments. Winning the first one clearly is incredibly special. I'm sure she's over the moon right now, which she should be.

Got to celebrate like it's your last one. I don't mean that in a negative way, but you don't know if you're ever going to feel the same emotions ever again. Stars aligned for her this tournament. Yeah, I was very happy for her.

Q. What were your thoughts on the decision to play this final in indoor conditions?
ROGER FEDERER: I wasn't sure if it was good for me or not, to play under the roof or not. Of course, I backed myself in sort of indoor conditions. This is where my first success ever came. I do think back that usually when I play indoors, it's good for me.

But I didn't mind the heat, to be honest. I thought maybe for a bigger guy like Marin, maybe it's also going to slow him down faster throughout the match. At the end, it's not my decision. They kept me posted along the way.

I was surprised to hear they had the heat rule in place for a night match. I never heard that before. When I arrived to the courts, I was totally ready to play outdoors. They told me they were thinking -- they think it will probably be indoor. Then they kept me posted along the way.

Half an hour before, we got the word that it's going to be indoors. For me, it doesn't change anything in the preparation, to be honest. I was ready for either.

Q. It's your sixth Australian Open title. Tell us how it feels to equal Emerson and Djokovic.
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, 'equaling'? I don't know how to explain you, it doesn't matter. It's about living the emotions that I went through tonight again at the trophy ceremony, going through a tough rollercoaster match, five-setter against Cilic, who is a great player, and then getting No. 6 here, No. 20 overall. It's just a very special moment.

Defending my title from last year, sort of the fairytale continues. That's what stands out for me, maybe not equaling Emerson or Novak. They had their own unbelievable careers. I admire what they're doing and have done with Emo. Yeah, it's definitely a very special moment in my life again.

Q. Is it time to give a new nickname to this special trophy?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. It was always with me last year, as it is the first time I had the original-sized Australian Open trophy, the Norman Brookes trophy. Instead of calling it the trophy, I felt like I could give it a name. As it is called Norman, I felt it was very fitting. Rather than saying, I'm bringing the trophy, it's, I'm bringing Norman along. It's like a friend now. We got to know each other.

It was just funny last year. I don't know if I'll do it again this year. Sure, Norman has a special place for us, anyway. It's great to be sitting here tonight with him right now, this morning.

Q. How do you keep your ambitions for Grand Slam titles? Your age is 36. This is 20 Grand Slam titles. How can you keep your ambition?
ROGER FEDERER: I think by not overplaying, not playing every tournament possible. I enjoy practice. Not minding the travel. Having a great team around me, they make it possible. At the end it's seeing that my parents are incredibly proud and happy that I'm still doing it. They enjoy coming to tournaments. That makes me happy and play better.

Then, of course, my wife who makes it all possible. Without her support, I wouldn't be playing tennis no more since many years. But we had a very open conversation, if she was happy to do this or not, years ago. I'm happy that she's super supportive, and she's willing to take on a massive workload with the kiddies. Same for me, because I wouldn't want to be away from my kids for more than two weeks. This life wouldn't work if she said no.

Many puzzles need to fit together for me to be able to sit here tonight.

Q. Why were you so emotional after the game? Can you describe the moment when you had that incredible crowd reaction? Even Rod Laver was scrambling.
ROGER FEDERER: I didn't see that through my thick tears, that he was taking a picture of me crying. I don't know what to tell you. I was trying to explain it to the news channels. I think what happened is I got to the finals very quickly. The semis was cut short. I had a lot of emotions left in me because I didn't have to go to extreme like last year against Nishikori, Stan, so forth.

I think when it was all said and done, it reminded me very much of the Baghdatis final, which was tough. I was the favorite. I got to the finals in a really good manner. Then when it was all said and done, Rocket gave me the trophy, I was standing in front of the people, I don't know, it's when it really hits me.

When I start thinking about what I was going to say, every subject I touch actually is very meaningful and very emotional. Thanking your team, congratulating Marin, thanking the people, thanking the tournament. At the end it's like one big party.

But I hoped over time in the speech I would start to relax a little bit, but I couldn't. It was what it was. I wish it wasn't so sometimes. At the same time I'm happy I can show emotions and share it with the people. If I got emotional, it's because it was a full crowd again. No people in the stadium wouldn't make me emotional, I'll tell you that. This is for them really also.

Q. There's that great corridor that comes off of Laver Arena with all the photos of the champions. You had a reflective moment by yourself when you were walking down that corridor. Share what your thoughts were, what was going on in your mind.
ROGER FEDERER: It wasn't as deep as you make it sound. It was very light (smiling).

I was just trying to make sure I have enough power in my biceps, which is not very big, trying to carry this guy. It was special walking past Stefan Edberg's banner, the shield with his two wins. He's very inspirational, very important man in my career as a role model. Growing up he was important for me.

I don't know. I was just really happy, to be honest, that it was all done. I was so bloody nervous all day. It was eating me up inside. That's why, when it was all over, I was just so relieved, to be quite honest. I think it was more of a relief walk at that point.

Q. Why do you think you were so nervous going into this match? From the outside looking in, you'd think last year would probably be more nerve-wracking.
ROGER FEDERER: You can't explain it sometimes. It is just a feeling you get. It's like against Berdych, I felt, like, I'm probably going to lose this one. I was not negative, but I just felt like I saw a loss was coming somehow. Not because I was not feel good or anything, I just felt like maybe Berdych is really feeling it.

Today for the finals, I didn't fall asleep very well after the Chung match. I think it surprised me that at this stage of a competition in semis, to get a walkover, that was very odd for me. I couldn't fall asleep until about 3 in the morning. All of the next day I was already thinking about how should I play Marin, how cool would it be to win 20, but no, don't think of it, but how horrible would it be to lose it. I had it for over 36 hours, to be honest. It was a lot.

Like I explained, I felt like the finals came very quickly because of not dropping any sets and stuff, still having so many emotions left. I needed to probably work through these emotions this way. That's what made me nervous.

But it's all good. I had a good start to the match. I think I lost the second because of nerves, to be honest. It's all good. I like to care. It's good I can care about these matches.

Q. Is that the first time you've felt that way?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I've had it many times. When it's all said and done, I'll be happy that I don't have to go through these moments anymore.

I don't know, it's nice in hindsight, but in the moment itself... Especially with a night finals, you wait all day. At Wimbledon, you get it out there and get it done. Here you're like (tapping fingers). It's a long day. It's a long day.

Q. What did you think about the last challenge? Were you annoyed?
ROGER FEDERER: The thing is, I thought that was it. Then I don't know what happened. The people started clapping. I was, like, Am I wrong to think the match is over? Have I celebrated too early? I almost had to check the score.

I don't know what happened next. Then it seemed like he challenged.

So you challenged? I was, like, Oh, no. Was it out, really? It felt good all the way.

But, of course, he has to challenge it. Imagine you lose a match because of that one because you're too polite not to challenge at the end.

But I had a good feeling, and it was 40-Love. It wasn't like last year where we had the back-and-forth saving breakpoints. This was 5-1, 40-Love, so I was more relaxed.

I couldn't believe it. I found out actually he did challenge. It was like a second celebration. It came in two waves. I don't take those things personally. He has to do it.

Q. You're 36, going against guys who are bigger, stronger, younger. How long do you think you can continue playing at this level?
ROGER FEDERER: No idea. Honest, I don't know. I have no idea. I've won three slams now in 12 months. I can't believe it myself. I just got to keep a good schedule, stay hungry, then maybe good things can happen. Then I don't think age is an issue, per se. It's just a number.

But I need to be very careful in my planning, really decide beforehand what are my goals, what are my priorities. I think that's what's going to dictate how successful I will be.

Exciting times ahead. But, no, as a professional, it's what we do. But I'm happy I'm in that position right now.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum