Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian Wells 2018 Press Conferences

2 posters

Go down

Normal Indian Wells 2018 Press Conferences

Post by Cromar Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Indian Wells 2018 (R2) - Press Conference Mar. 11   (vs F. Delbonis)

Roger returned to the court on Sunday to complete his R2 match, which was interrupted by rain the night before.

ESPN: "Rain or shine, Roger Federer remains flawless in 2018. His match started under the lights in the rain one day and ended during the hot desert temperatures the next. It wasn't pretty, but Roger Federer found a way to prevail at Indian Wells."

> BNP Paribas Open 2018: Roger Federer R2 Press Conference

Roger Federer Swiss Flag - Federico Delbonis Argentine : 6-3 / 78-66

YouTube   BNP Paribas Open - Published on Mar 12, 2018
Roger Federer speaks to the press following his second round match at the 2018 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

> Press Conference Transcript (R2) - March 11, 2018

BNP Paribas Open
Indian Wells, California

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER / F. Delbonis  6-3, 78-66
Match Details

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Kind of strange, of course, any time you have to play a match over two days. Talk a little bit about how you felt out there.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, it is interesting, you know, when you go from night to day and you play a different opponent you never — you know there is a difference, but you also know there is a difference in opponent, and he plays different. So naturally it’s all a change. Whereas, here now you play the same guy the next day, so you can really compare, you know, how different conditions are. It was actually quite interesting.
They play very different. You know, the nighttime is much more deader. The surface doesn’t react so much. The ball doesn’t travel so fast. Even though I served my five aces yesterday, none today. So talking about faster, I just think there is more bounce to it, especially if you play someone who has a lot of spin like he has and kicks the ball around a lot.
Yeah, it’s been a long time since I have been interrupted at night and have to come back the next day.

Q. I guess right before you got on the court, Novak lost. And he was telling us how he felt like this was his first match ever on tour, losing his rhythm and all. I guess you were away from the game like six months, but you made it look easy when you came back. How do you explain that even someone that experienced can feel like that in that situation?

ROGER FEDERER: To me, it’s not that surprising, you know. When you go away from the game for, let’s say, over a two-month period maybe, it starts feeling a little bit that way. You know, when you do come back, it’s like, oh, those break points; oh, those deuce points; those 30-All points; 15-30s; first point of the game. Where normally, you know, when you’ve played a lot of matches, you just rock up, you hit a good serve, play a good point, 15-Love, you just move along with the score. But you put extra effort to manage all that’s happening in your head.
I feel like when you do come back from injury or when you haven’t played in a long time, it just takes extra effort. I think that’s probably also what he’s also feeling. And maybe was tired in the end a bit because, yeah, the focus you need to have is greater.
You know, maybe I was lucky that when I did come back I had the Hopman Cup where I played the three singles, three doubles. But then it wasn’t straightforward, either, against Melzer and Rubin, I believe, at the Australian Open. But this maybe is also a slower surface, so he had to work harder for it. So maybe you could argue it’s not so bad for him as well, so he has got more margin.
But I also thought Taro Daniel played very well, you know, made him work for it. Normally it’s the way Novak wins it. So this time he just lost one like this.
Look, still such early stages for Novak coming back and the first one after surgery. Yeah, just — he’s only going to get better from here. He knows that. We all know that. But it was nice to see him playing again.
I see where he’s coming from. I think every player feels that way. It’s maybe just strange to hear that from such a champion, you know, that he also feels that way.

Q. Why was it different for you, then, compared to, let’s say, Novak or Rafa, whoever who has taken an extended period off and the way you came back after such a long period off? Does it get tougher the longer you’re away?

ROGER FEDERER: I’m not sure, you know, if it gets actually that much tougher. That’s why I said, I think after two months you get into that stage where your last match was long time ago.
I think as long as you’re 100% physically, you know, that helps. I’m not sure if Novak is 100% yet. Only he knows. If he’s got still some rusts there, that’s going to rock your boat as well a little bit, you know, to be honest.

And then winning like I did in Australia right away, first round, second round, third round, that helps too. And then after three matches, all of a sudden, it’s like, okay, I have never left this tour. I’ve always been around.
So it doesn’t take very much to get that feeling back, but in the beginning it’s very odd when you haven’t played match plays. And you can try as hard as you want in practice to pretend like it’s you’re down match point every single point you play. It just doesn’t feel the same, you know, playing in front of a crowd, saving breakpoints on the stretch, hitting winners onto the line. That comes over playing a good schedule with the right amount of practice, vacation, matches, everything.
That’s why after injury or something like that, you just need a bit of time. And I think Novak needs that, too, even though I wouldn’t be surprised if he would have won here or Miami or anything going forward, because he’s too good of a player not to do something like that.

Q. I’d like to ask a question on Davis Cup. It’s said that whether you go to a 27,000 seat arena in Spain or a hockey rink in Zimbabwe or a packed arena in Lille, there is a raw emotion, a connection with fans in Davis Cup play that just isn’t present on the circuit. Do you think going to this new format, do you think that will be lost? Is that an asset we should be aware of?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, time will tell. You know, what can I tell you? Yeah, sure. I mean, the ones who want to play at home badly, they’re going to miss the Davis Cup format from what it was.
The other ones who played Davis Cup every single year and came to realize that it was too much, they’re probably happy that the Davis Cup has changed something.
But the uniqueness of the Davis Cup definitely was the home and away ties, in my opinion. I loved away ties as much as I enjoyed the home ties, to be honest.
Yeah, I think it’s one where time will tell how excited the fans will be to having to travel somewhere like a neutral place. You know, I’m not sure how it’s going to be yet. We’ll see.

Q. Following up about Davis Cup, Davis Cup has played such a huge role in the top four or big five players’ careers, pivotal point at one moment or another. Do you think that might be lost at all with the current change in format?

ROGER FEDERER: Just trying to understand the question correctly.

Q. Do you think that the change in format is going to influence, you know, the involvement of younger players coming up, I guess, would be one way of looking at it.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I never thought of that. Well, I mean, for the top nations that then would only play one week, right, at the end of the year? That would be lost, clearly, because you don’t have that many ties. Maybe before you had at least two, if not more. You had four players with a fifth, sixth, seventh. Sometimes I remember when we traveled to Australia, we had seven or eight players on the team. Now you would be only three to four maybe on the team, I guess.
It seems it would be much harder for young guys to have that Davis Cup experience, you know. Yeah, that would make sense what you’re saying.

Q. I have a GOAT question for you. After you won your 20th slam, Rod Laver said your longevity put you in category of greatest of all time. I assume he meant by yourself. And I was wondering, do you guys ever talk about your each individual legacies and was there ever a point in your career where he said, okay, now your accomplishments are starting to surpass mine and acknowledge that or…

ROGER FEDERER: No, no, no. You don’t sit down and like — (Laughter) — so let’s put everything on the table. Who’s better and who’s worse? Your slice was better. No. I mean, it’s not what you do.
You’re more, How’s your family? What have you been up to? How’s the health? You know, I don’t know. It’s normal conversations like what we would have. It’s none of that, but sure, it would be interesting to talk about it like this. I only hear stuff because they are being asked by you guys. But other than that, no, we don’t talk about it very much, no.

Q. You have attracted fans all over the world but do you find it to be different in Indian Wells given the intimate environment here?

ROGER FEDERER: I think every tournament is different from the other. I feel like it’s deeply rooted here in the community. People maybe when they come here they either come for a full week or for the weekend. They have precise traveling plans, you know, when they come here or they live here.
So, you know, they are very knowledgeable about tennis. Reminds me a little bit about Cincinnati, to be honest. They also come from all, you know, the corners, from the Midwest and come in and they are so happy it’s that time of year. And I feel it’s the same thing here. They almost use it as somewhat of a vacation, too, because it’s nice weather.
So it feels very laid back, you know. It’s nice that the tournament has invested a lot so they can have an even better experience here at the tennis.

Q. Obviously you play one great match after the other, but I wonder if you were to say what’s the best match you ever played or if you can’t, please which year you think you were at your very best.

ROGER FEDERER: My best match ever? One that comes to mind is just maybe under the pressure of a Grand Slam final comes the US Open finals back in 2004 when I beat Hewitt, you know. Beat him 6-0, 7-6, 6-0. I didn’t expect that because I had some tougher matches against him in the past. And I have only just come to understand maybe how I need to play against him, and my game was slowly but surely making — you know, having a major impact against him.
So that, for me, was a major match at the time. I’m sure I have had many others. I don’t remember. But that one stands out for me right now.

Q. Which is the stage of your process to get into the clay season? Are you starting to rethink about the scheduling or not at all?

ROGER FEDERER: A little bit. I probably won’t play in the very beginning, you know, meaning Monaco. Also have a Foundation trip I’m doing at that time, so I’m planning that a little bit.
The rest, I said I will decide after Miami to then decide what I will play if I do play the clay court after that.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Indian Wells 2018 Press Conferences ASAPsportsLogo1
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2018 (R3) - Press Conference Mar. 12 (Monday)

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:44 am

Indian Wells 2018 (R3) - Press Conference Mar. 12   (vs F. Krajinović)

> BNP Paribas Open 2018: Roger Federer R3 Press Conference

Roger Federer Swiss Flag - Filip Krajinović Serbia : 6-2 / 6-1

YouTube   BNP Paribas Open - Published on Mar 12, 2018
Roger Federer speaks to the press following his third round match at the 2018 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

> Press Conference Transcript (R3) - March 12, 2018

BNP Paribas Open
Indian Wells, California

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER / F. Krajinović  6-2, 6-1
Match Details

Q. Talk a little bit about that match. He gets it to 2-all and seemed to be playing pretty well.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I think the beginning of the matches are always important, get off to a good start. I did that. Unfortunately, you know, he broke back. You know, at least after four games you sort of get an idea what to expect, especially if you haven’t played somebody before.
But I thought I was much more calm today in the match. You know, obviously it was more straightforward with a right-hander, someone who plays more on the flatter side, not lefty standing way back, playing with a lot of spin. It’s not something I do see nowadays every day. Usually everybody stands on the baseline.
You know, I was playing aggressive and feeling like he was not loving my slice, you know, and then also mixing in with dropshots eventually. I think really I was able to mix up my game nicely, make it difficult for him there.
At the same time, have fun with my game, play variation, but for the most part try to stay on the offensive, as well. I think it was a good match.
I still think he can play much better than he did today. Maybe it was because it was the first time he ever played against me. Who knows why his level wasn’t able go higher than today.

Q. You have been asked a couple of times about Novak and the physical side of things. But there is also a consensus that maybe recently he’s going through a little more like a spiritual journey, a little more kind of soul-searching. Is that something you agree with, and, if so, is that something you have ever been through or can relate with?

ROGER FEDERER: I don’t know what he’s going through, to be honest, other than his injury. The rest, I don’t know. I don’t know him well enough. I haven’t seen him at all, you know, that much, to be honest, in recent times.
But, you know, I think the Novak we saw in Australia, he wasn’t at 100%. He still gave it all he had and actually did okay. I thought he was actually playing all right.
Same here. This is now second version of Novak. Still not at 100%, because this one was after surgery. I still think Novak needs just more time, you know. He tried to — I liked the route where he didn’t try to do surgery early on. That’s what I was trying to do with my knee after having already had a surgery. I think surgery is always a last resort, you know. So I hope he recovers fully from it, like Murray, like Stan, like Kei, as well.
So for me, you know, I think this is just a rough patch in Novak’s career in terms of injuries, and I hope he enjoyed his time away from tennis. Because if he comes back fully fit again, it’s gonna be intense and busy enough as it is. But this wasn’t the real Novak we saw here. Not in Australia either yet. I think every week that goes by we will see a stronger version of Novak we know.

Q. Because of the rainout or the rain postponement, you lost the day off yesterday. Does it really make that much of a difference? How does it affect your rhythm at this point of the tournament?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I mean, look, in Rotterdam I played five matches in a row. Back in the day, I used to play six matches in a row. At the Masters 1000s, when the format was different, it was the best-of-five-set finals in the finals. Playing three matches in a row, I think I’m okay.
Yeah, you’ve got to be ready for it. Tennis players are — it’s what we do. We wait, we play, we wait again, we play again. In juniors we play three matches a day, and then eventually you play one a day. It actually gets easier as you almost get older.

Q. It has to.

ROGER FEDERER: It has to, yeah (smiling).
No, I’m very happy how I managed it. I was a little bit tired this morning just because the turnaround is always pretty quick. And this morning, I mean, playing at 1:00 is somewhat on the earlier side for me, too.
But I’m happy that I actually was explosive out there today and I felt good. So I’m very happy how things are turning out to be.

Q. Amongst the legends of tennis, there are some players who are known for their dominance, like Sampras, Laver, Borg, and others known for the length of their time at the top. González, Agassi, Connors. You are a rare player who would be in both categories. What’s it require to be in that second category? What do you think it took to get into that second category?

ROGER FEDERER: And the second one being?

Q. Just the length of time.

ROGER FEDERER: The length of time?
Well, I think you need to win a lot, and you have to be around for a lot and you have to — you know, dominate even at some point. Yeah, every situation is a difficult one, you know.
I thought that the longevity part, you know, you can attain it just been playing a long time, staying injury-free, enjoying yourself and so forth. The domination one, that’s not one thing you can plan ever.
That’s where you have to reach, you know, heights of winning over 90% throughout a season and doing that over multiple years and showing that winning two slams a year is not just a one-year wonder, you can do it again and back it up again. Yeah, there is only a few players who did it. But still, if you look at the length of tennis history, there is a lot of guys actually who were able to do it.
Yeah, we’ll see what’s left for me. But, no, I’m very proud of my career, very happy. Look, I don’t wake up every day and think, like, Oh, I’m so happy just because of what I have done. You’re only really as good as your last match. Now we’re in Indian Wells and that’s my focus and not what I have achieved in the past, really.

Q. Obviously in your own family life you see the wonderful dynamic of two young girls. In our sport, we have seen this incredible story of Venus and Serena emerging out of the same bedroom, really inner city of LA and coming on to have this incredible impact, dominance, skill sets. What strikes you the most about the two of them? Can you just talk a little bit about what they have done?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, we go right back to my last question. Longevity and dominance. They showed that. They had a massive arrival on the scene, a lot of buzz around them, and they lived up to the hype. Came out and crushed it.
From the very beginning, they were very interesting to follow. I think they hardly played any juniors, really, which made it more of a mystery, because you just didn’t know exactly what to expect from them. And coming, you know, from being coached by their dad. I mean, it’s an incredible fascinating story, like you said.
And then for many years we were worried that they were going to check out early with sickness or injuries. We weren’t sure if they’re going to play as long as we hoped them to play. And here we are. They are both over 35, 36, and still basically playing at the top. Serena being a mom now, Venus overcame a lot of also difficult situations and still playing.
Being older again than Serena, myself, it’s wonderful to see and I’m very happy for them, you know, especially now watching Serena’s comeback since the baby. I think that’s going to be a huge story, maybe the story of the year. Hopefully she decides to play a lot and enjoy herself in the process and get back to who knows how high? It almost doesn’t matter, but it would just be amazing to see her do it now.
And then now they are facing off here tonight. I think it’s great for the sport and they have done so much already. This is like, you know, the extra lap they are doing and the fans can enjoy it. So I’m very happy for them.

Q. When you look at the draw and Novak’s gone and Andy isn’t here, Rafa isn’t here, are you at the stage where you look at that and you say, Gee, that’s good, or do you say, Gee, I wish they were around?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, a bit of both, I guess. Many times I have looked at the draw and, Oh, God, Rafa, is my second round or something. So I prefer if Rafa is not in my second round (smiling).
At the same time, I enjoy playing the guy, just because it’s one of the ultimate challenges to play Novak, Andy, Rafa, Stan, you name it, all these guys.
But of course there is a different vibe when all these guys are not around. It’s not in your control. You can only beat the guy who’s opposite to you. When I look at the matches from last night or yesterday, they’re all in the other section, so I can watch it more as a fan, you know, which I enjoy a lot, to be honest.
Yeah, I haven’t really checked out my draw entirely. I really do go day by day. I wasn’t playing that good in my first round. So when you play that way and you feel that way, you can’t right away think, Oh, who would I be playing in the semis or in the finals? I think that would be a major mistake by myself. There is still plenty of good enough players around me to cause an upset.
So I’m on a good run right now, and I try to maintain that, and you only maintain that if you respect every opponent, to be quite honest.

Q. You switched racquets a few years ago, and then when you came back from injury you had a very improved backhand. I know you haven’t decided on clay yet, but what is your confidence level right now that you can beat anybody, including Nadal, on clay, especially in five sets?

ROGER FEDERER: I don’t know. I haven’t thought about it, to be honest. I’m not sure how much “improved backhand” that you say it is, is going to help me against Rafa on clay.
He still remains the best mover on clay, you know. So I’m not sure if my movement is better on clay. I haven’t played on clay for I don’t know how long.
Yeah, my mind hasn’t gone there, to be honest. And if I play the clay or not does not depend on Rafa or Novak or if they play or they don’t play. It really depends on what do I want to do, how do I keep myself injury-free, how do I keep the fire burning, what is my head telling to myself. What am I in the mood to do, basically? It’s pretty simple.
But, yeah, sure, I’d love to play Rafa on clay, best of five-set match, don’t get me wrong. I’d like to see what would happen now. But there is absolutely no guarantee that I would have a better chance now than before. I still think he’s the guy to beat on clay and he forever will be maybe the greatest player of all time on clay, hands down. So, yeah, I don’t know.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2018 (R16) - Press Conference Mar. 14 (Wednesday)

Post by Cromar Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:42 pm

IW 2018 (R16) - Press Conference March 14   (vs Jeremy Chardy)

> BNP Paribas Open 2018: Roger Federer 4R Press Conference

Roger Federer Switzerland - Jeremy Chardy France : 7-5 / 6-4

YouTube  BNP Paribas Open - Published on Mar. 15, 2018
Roger Federer speaks to the press following his fourth round match at the 2018 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

> Press Conference Transcript (R4) - March 14, 2018

BNP Paribas Open
Indian Wells, California

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER / Jeremy Chardy  7-5, 6-4
Match Details

Q. I was wondering if you could talk about the start to this year, because it’s starting to look like 2006 again. It’s really an incredible start for you.

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, I agree. It’s been great. I don’t remember what was my best year.

Q. I think you were 16-0 in 2006, that start.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, and I was, I guess, probably on that run that ended here also when I won a lot of matches.

But, yeah, I mean, look, it’s a totally different year, many years after. So I can’t even remember one match that I played in that time except the Canãs match that I ended up losing and then also began in Miami.

Yeah, I’m just happy that Hopman Cup went as well as it did. It started off great. Felt like I found my range, my rhythm early in the year. Usually pays off for me, you know, like the offseason coming in. So many years I felt good actually in Australia already. I don’t know if it’s Australia per se or, you know, taking the benefits from the hard work I put in into the new season.

Yeah, and then also Rotterdam was great. I was very happy that I was able to win the tournament there, not just get to the semis and get world No. 1. So that was nice.

And here now I’m relieved that I was able to win three matches already. Because in a big, tough draw like here at Indian Wells, you’re never quite sure what to expect. So I’m just happy I’m on a good run.

Q. Is it more significant because of your age, as well, compared to 10, 12 years ago?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, possibly. But again, you know, I think it’s more significant maybe world No. 1 at the age that I did it rather than maybe the beginning of the year’s start.

Sure, it’s a great one, but, you know how it is. You can’t plan for these runs to happen. Either they happen or they don’t. Sometimes you need a bit of luck to keep the runs going. And this year it’s just been really good, you know, solid matches. Especially again in Australia I played great, you know, getting to the finals and everything.

So it’s been good, and we’ll see how long it lasts really. This might be the last day. So we’ll see (smiling). It’s just how it goes. Don’t jinx it.

Q. Chung had his problems with his feet in Australia. Are you looking forward to having that match and going up against the next generation?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, that was tough, not to watch, but to see. Yeah, knowing also he was actually struggling going into the match, not to which extent, but that was tough, you know, under the circumstances.

You know, seeing the blister after, that wasn’t very nice. I can just imagine how much pain there is to it. You kind of want to go out and give it a shot, but then you’re like, probably shouldn’t. You’re just stuck in a situation which is hard. So I felt for him.

I was honestly quite surprised how quickly he came back, you know. Because that thing looked nasty and it takes some time to heal, you know. So I hope he’s okay now. He didn’t come back too early. But he seems fine and he played a great match today. So, yeah, I’m excited to play against him tomorrow.

Q. With the talks about the ITF changing Davis Cup format for World Cup, ATP pushing for World Team Cup, are you getting a bit concerned for maybe the future of the Laver Cup spots in the calendar?

ROGER FEDERER: We take three days out of the year, so don’t worry about us, you know. I think it’s a great event. I think the players really enjoyed themselves. I hope it’s going to be forever successful. We have no guarantee, like, no tournament really has except maybe Wimbledon, to be honest.

You know, we’ll just try to put up the best event possible. And if we could push tennis in the right direction and make some exciting weekends and exciting events possible, that’s a win for everybody.

And if the ATP and the ITF decide to change their formats, you know, and the players enjoy that, that’s great.

So I just think it’s important that we have a good tour, good schedule, happy players, happy tournament organizers. No, I’m not concerned, but of course we try to put on the best event possible, for sure.

Q. You said a few months ago that as you’ve gotten older you’re trying to play shorter points. How big of an impact is playing these shorter points having on extending your career?

ROGER FEDERER: I’m not sure if I play shorter points because of my age. I’m not sure about that.

I think I just chose to do that because I thought it would be more exciting tennis for me personally to play. I think the bigger racquet change in ’14 allowed me to return more aggressively on the second serve, which then allows me to be aggressive earlier in the point.

And I have come to realize that by taking charge earlier in the point that’s exactly maybe my situation. I can always go back to slicing and doing what I always used to do back in, you know, my best years.

You know, when you are always on the offensive, you also have to maintain a certain level of defensive skills, you know. So it is always a bit of a give and a take, you know. You only have so much time to work on your game, especially later on in your life. Quality is more important than quantity.

So I don’t have that many hours on court, and in those hours what do I choose to do? That’s why I think my fitness work is really important, what I do with Pierre. And then when I go onto the tennis court, I think it needs to be very clear what we need to work on in that time.

For the moment, it’s working. If it’s going to stop working, I will change my game up again maybe. But for now I will play faster points, but I’m always happy to extend the rallies, too, because I feel like I can also back myself there.

Q. Today you decided to stay quite close to the baseline returning the first serve and you chose to take a few steps back returning the second serve. Can you talk us through the reason for your choice?

ROGER FEDERER: Honestly, I also tried to go back some on the first serve even, which I very rarely do. I just think Jeremy does a very nice job of going for the one-two punch serve and then step around and do his forehand really nicely, and he can pull that forehand either way.

So I just felt like maybe changing return position was going to help me a little bit on the second and on the first. I did it a bit more on the second serve.

And I just think here in Indian Wells you can do it a bit, you know, because I think when you serve well and you get into a certain groove like I did last year, I don’t think I dropped my serve all the way to the finals against Stan. I don’t want to say it’s simple to protect your serve, but you just serve and you get the first shot and you dominate the rally from then on.

Because even if you hit a decent-enough return, it still seems to be in the slot for the server, and it’s just hard to get out of the return and the next shot and then, you know, you’re on the run. And you need to win a lot of good points in a return game. But then it can also happen very quickly if you see too many second serves as a return player. You have chances.

So I was just trying to mix it up and seeing what was working, but I think it was because of the swirly winds, in my opinion, that I was probably changing and because of Jeremy’s, you know, just good protection of his own serve, to be honest. I think it was tough to return today.

Q. Loss of life in the tennis family is always a part of the mix. We saw Sampras dealing with it during the Courier match in Australia years ago. You had a terrible loss with Peter. Do you have any thoughts about the passing of Ken Flack, just 54 years old, great dubs champion?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I’m not sure if I met him before. I remember him being especially great doubles player. They all used to play singles, you know, back in the day, not like today where we have only some doubles experts per se.

But I remember growing up and hearing about the team and hearing about him. I know also that Paul Annacone knew him very well. It was his generation, of course, as well, and I know how sad he is.

He told me a bit about him the other day when it happened, so I was very sad. You know, just like you said, for tennis family, we all get together in a moment like that. It’s sad to see.

But, yeah, just wish the family all the best, really. That’s all I can say.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about Chung Hyeon? Everybody says his play style is kind of similar to Novak. Do you feel the same way? If you have talked to him before, what kind of guy he is?

ROGER FEDERER: I don’t know him well enough to tell you I know him personally very well. It’s been very short, you know, and nice, to be honest. Hey, how you doing? Nice to see you. Congratulations. Well done, whatever. Bad luck, you lost or I lost.

No, but he seems like a nice guy, very level-headed. I think similarities to Novak’s game are particular, which is mostly in his movement, the way he’s able to slide to his forehand and to his backhand with the open stance, you know, which not many guys do or do it as extensively as Chung does.

That’s the only similarity I see. You know, service motion, all the other motions are very, very different. It’s a Chung motion, if you like. Nobody has that kind of motion, I think, which is good.

But I see where the similarities come from with Novak and it’s not a bad one to have, to be honest, because Novak has maybe the best footwork on hard courts we have ever seen.

So it’s just a question for Chung to see that he can maintain that level, you know, with the blister, with injuries, over the course of the next 10, 15 years to make sure he stays injury-free and doesn’t get injured three months of the year.

But it’s highly explosive, it’s highly impressive what he does, and I think he’s going to be a great player. How good will still remain to be seen. I have a lot of respect for him as a player, and I think he’s going to be, yeah, very successful.

Q. It’s a Wednesday, late afternoon, middle of the desert, playing to a full house. Can you talk a little bit about the fan base here in Southern Cal and how they support this event every year?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure. Yeah, you know, now the outside courts are not as busy as they were on the weekend and there is obviously less matches now.

But to see center court packed with a great atmosphere, just a great feel in there, you know, them being there for really those top matches, you know, they want to come see. It’s a good feeling as a player. It’s what you play for.

We do enough practice in front of nobody. Here there is a lot of people. But when I go away from the tour, you know, I sometimes have no people or fans or anything.

So it’s a privilege to come back into a wonderful stadium that we have here in Indian Wells, and I think the community and, like you said, Southern California support this event in a big way. They went through a rough patch where they almost lost the tournament, then were able to keep it here. They found Larry, and he’s taken it to the next level.

So it’s nice to see what has happened to the tournament. We, the players, enjoy it. We try to give back. And I think at this point everybody’s very happy and very successful.

Q. Just following on from what Carol was asking earlier regarding World Team Cup and Davis Cup and all that, you have been away from Davis Cup now for a few years now, would you consider going back to playing either or both those events with the new formats?

ROGER FEDERER: Problem is it’s far away, still, and I don’t plan this far ahead.

But in the beginning of my career, I probably would have played, yes. Still, we’re waiting for the vote to come in in August for the Davis Cup. The World Cup, I’m not sure exactly what the latest is there, so, yeah, remains to be seen.

I’m open, you know. But then again, you know how selective I have become with my schedule and, you know, I just hope it’s going to be a good event that brings something to the tour, of course.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2018 (QF) - Press Conference Mar. 15 (Thursday)

Post by Cromar Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:44 pm

IW 2018 (QF) - Press Conference March 15   (vs Hyeon Chung)

> BNP Paribas Open 2018: Roger Federer QF Press Conference

Roger Federer Switzerland - Hyeon Chung South Korea : 7-5 / 6-1

YouTube  BNP Paribas Open - Published on Mar. 16, 2018
Roger Federer speaks to the press following his quarterfinal round match at the 2018 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

> Press Conference Transcript (QF) - March 15, 2018

BNP Paribas Open
Indian Wells, California

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER /  Hyeon Chung : 7-5 / 6-1
Match Details

Q. Of course you play this sport for the titles, but do you also look forward to these kind of challenges when you have a new player on his way up, new test for you? Of course they are all coming for you.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I’m not sure about me, but, yeah, it is a challenge, for sure.

You know, I was asked what did I expect from the match today from Chung, and I wasn’t quite sure, you know. I had a plan in place, but then you adjust to it constantly. Maybe it’s the wind, maybe it’s the opponent, because you just don’t know his patterns yet. I like that. I like it when it’s the unknown, even though it can be a bit scary, but it’s all good.

It was a great atmosphere. It was breezy. Yeah, and he’s a great player. I’m happy I found a way. You know, started off really well, struggled afterwards, found my game back again and was able to protect it, saving big break points early on in the second set. I think that was the key to the match, those 10, 15 minutes where I broke at the end of the first and then saved break points early in the second.

So, no, I’m very happy. It was a good match. I played well.

Q. You brought up it being breezy. You’re here in tennis paradise. Had to play through rain and now wind. How do you play through it?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, look, in some ways we’re used to having changes of these situations with the weather. I don’t know. I’m ready for it, you know. I guess I have played in some sandstorms here and some really breezy conditions here. Now, when we go to Miami next week, it’s going to be extremely humid, most likely. That’s a big change then again.

And that’s what people always ask me, What’s your favorite tournament? What do you like in certain places? I think it’s that challenge of every place just feels different. You know, if you go to indoors, it’s totally different to when you play here or when you go to Miami or when you go to Wimbledon. There is always a different feel because of the weather alone.

Yeah, this week has been different, you know. Day, night, rain, wind, we have had it all. I’m ready. Let’s put it that way.

Q. You know a thing or two about longevity. How do you put Tommy’s career into perspective after what happened out there tonight?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I was very happy to be there for Tommy, for that big moment in Tommy’s career.

In the beginning, I guess we had a rivalry, but we knew each other a little bit because we both German-speaking. So, you know, we always got along well.

Especially in the last sort of ten years, ever since he started dating Sara and they had kids eventually, you know, we got to know each other better and better over time. He was always one of my closer friends or closest friends on the tour.

And, yeah, I was always very closely in touch with his decision-making as well, maybe is he going to retire or not. We were always talking a little bit.

I’m just very happy for him that he was able to take this big decision. You know, it’s not an easy one, but it should be one of happiness and one of pride, and I think that’s what he felt. At the same time, it’s emotional. That’s what it’s supposed to be, right?

So I was happy to be there and to share the moment with him, because it was his moment and it was great to be there.

Q. This is your best start to a calendar year in 12 years since ’06. What are some of the things that are different about you now to then?

ROGER FEDERER: 12 years ago, a long time ago. I don’t know. What was I doing back then? I don’t even remember what tournament I played first up and won.

But, look, honestly I can’t remember (smiling). I just — I guess I had a similar good start to the year. But I guess back then, because I was on this massive streak of winning 30, 40-plus matches, I guess it had already started the year before that, which this time it didn’t. I had to get it going again in Australia.

Yeah, no, it’s a great start. Hopefully I can do one more and beat my best streak on Saturday. Doesn’t matter.

Q. Two-part question. Pete, afterwards, said that, yes, he’d like to play some sets with you. Are you up for that? And, secondly, that historic match against Pete at Wimbledon, what was the key to beating him?

ROGER FEDERER: You’re going way back. You guys are challenging my memory.

I think there it was just trying to manage the nerves and trying to stay with Pete as long as possible. And the longer you can stay with a top guy, you know, the more the chances grow, really, that you can all of a sudden sneak in a win, you know.

I remember saving break point, serve and volleying on the second serve in the fifth set, half volley and volleying and then making the volley after that. Those were different days back then. You were living and dying by the sword back then.

And then after that, I had a great return game eventually when I was able to win 7-5 in that fifth set. Picked the right side with the forehand, you know. Felt it was coming to my forehand. I picked it. He didn’t serve the perfect serve, and I was right there and hit it for a return winner.

It kind of stung as much as it was joyful. It stung because I had to shake the hand of somebody I admired so much, and I knew how much it would hurt him and it would mean to me. It was a very odd moment.

But I’m happy I had the opportunity to be on court with him. Yes, I always would like to play with Pete. Because even nowadays, if I go hit balls with him, I see what made him so great. And I would still feel, like, even just hitting balls with him, I would learn with him.

Because those were different days and they had such different qualities than we have today, but he was the modern version of the older generation. So he was the bridge, really, if you like.

Q. Just when you thought that there couldn’t be any more different stats about your record, something else crops up.

ROGER FEDERER: What is that?

Q. Now it’s like this is the sixth event where you have won 60 or more matches.

ROGER FEDERER: Okay.

Q. Do you get blasé about these things?

ROGER FEDERER: (Shrugging.) I don’t know. Sounds like a lot, but at the same time, I don’t know how many people have done that or — I mean, when you’re in the game for long enough and successfully enough, these things just tend to happen, I believe.

It’s not something you can ever chase or — yeah, it just shows me that I have played Indian Wells a lot, I have liked it a lot, and I kind of like the conditions here.

I guess what I like about these six different tournaments you talked about, they are all very different from one another, so that makes me very happy that I can play in different conditions, different situations with weather, surfaces, if you like.

But to get to that number, you have to play the event a lot. Otherwise, you’ll never get there.

So I have been also fortunate enough to maybe not be injured in this time of year too often, which has helped as well.

Q. You just said you liked this tournament a lot. I wanted to get your take on what you think about the project that began three years ago with the murals of the champions they are doing here at Indian Wells. What do you think about the project and about the mural you unveiled last week?

ROGER FEDERER: I liked it. It was well done. I met the artist, as well. I thought he did a good job. It’s very different. I’ve never seen something like that.

I’ve seen the other murals before that, actually, in sort of the champions’ lounge there when you wait there going to center court of Novak and other legends of the game. Billie Jean there was one, too. They all looked very artsy, very nice.

So to have one of myself now that maybe people would like to take pictures with — I’m not sure — it’s nice.

I enjoyed a lot spending time with the children because they had an art project about it, which I guess is nice to get them excited about tennis and maybe about me, as well, to me bringing them in. We had a great time. They were super happy. We met them all here and I took them over. We had a good time.

So that’s what I remember the most, really, to be honest.

Q. There has been so much talk about the NextGen of players. You and Venus are facing young players in the semis. Here, you and Venus are here again in the semis of a major tournament. What’s that say about the benefit of experience in today’s game or what does that say specifically about your game?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, that experience is a good thing, too. It’s not just about the young legs. You have to put the ball in the right place and run more, and eventually maybe they do get tired. I’m not sure.

Yeah, look, there is always going to be up-and-coming players. Some are better than others. Same with the older players. Some are better than others.

I’m just happy that I’m able to keep up a good level. Same for Venus. Really happy for her that she’s really consistently easily making all these semis and finals and winning tournaments. It’s great.

And the young guys are still calibrating their game, understanding what they need to do. They are still working on a lot of things. There’s a lot of new things to them, like the pressroom and the promotional stuff and sponsors and fans and all that stuff.

So there is a lot on the plate for them, but they will learn and they’ll get better and eventually push us out and that was the end from us.

So pretty simple (smiling). Makes sense, right? That’s just how life is.

Q. When will we have the pleasure of having you play at the Open at Acapulco?

ROGER FEDERER: If there is a chance I play Acapulco?

Q. When we will have the pleasure of…

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, when? I don’t know. Thing is, it’s during the same time as Dubai, which I have an apartment in Dubai, and I have always played there. This year, for the first time, I didn’t play Dubai either.

But I haven’t made plans yet for next Feb, but rather doubtful I will go to play Acapulco, to be quite honest. Depend on the schedule of family, whether we stay in Dubai or stay in Switzerland.

I have heard great things. Players like the tournament, they said it’s well-run and good crowds, which would always be very attractive to find out how that atmosphere would play.

Last time I played in Mexico was 1996 in the juniors, Mexico City. So it’s a long time ago. I should be going back at one point.

Q. What impressed you about Chung tonight? What about his game?

ROGER FEDERER: Good intensity. Solid in his mind. I like his speed of shots, you know, forehand and backhand. There’s always — yeah, it’s a heavy ball, and he’s very consistent. In today’s game, that’s a lot. And then he’s good on the defense, and he also likes to come to the net.

So I see a lot of good things moving forward for him.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2018 (SF) - Press Conference Mar. 17 (Saturday)

Post by Cromar Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 am

IW 2018 (SF) - Press Conference March 17   (vs Borna Coric)

> BNP Paribas Open 2018: Roger Federer SF Press Conference

Roger Federer Switzerland - Borna Coric Serbia : 5-7, 6-4, 6-4

YouTube  BNP Paribas Open - Published on Mar. 18, 2018
Roger Federer speaks to the press following his semifinal round match at the 2018 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

> Press Conference Transcript (SF) - March 17, 2018

BNP Paribas Open
Indian Wells, California

Roger Federer

R. FEDERER /  B. Coric :  5-7, 6-4, 6-4
Match Details

Q. You're now off to the best start of your career after 20 years and doing it in dramatic fashion. Wonder if you could just reflect on what that means at 36 at this point in your career?

ROGER FEDERER: Took a while (smiling). Took a while to get the record.

But, no, I'm happy. Look, especially also with the match, you know, it was just a fighting match rather than, like -- it didn't come easy, so I had to go get it. Also got a little bit lucky, of course, throughout the match.

I hung tough and put a lot of effort into it to get the record, if you like. I mean, you go from one to the next. Clearly, the focus has to be the finals right now and not enjoying the record.

But it's nice to get off to a good start this year, and I hope I can play well again tomorrow.

Q. How on earth do you get out of these sort of matches? I mean, what is it that clicks for you in a match that can turn it around? You're in almost a desperate situation and yet you can seem to flick a switch and turn things.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I think when you are confident and maybe also experienced and you have that combination, there's no real need to panic, you know, because you can assess the situation quite easily. You're understanding that the opponent is playing better. It's breezy. It's hard to play offense. And when I was playing offense he was defending well. In the neutral alley balls, maybe I was missing a bit too many times.

And it was a close match even in the second set, you know, if you look back at how many close calls we had in the important moments. Things could have shifted either way for both of us a little bit more, you know.

I mean, but margins are slim, you know, at the top of the game. And I have been there so many times that you just hope to take the right decisions along the way, and then that -- it ends up falling your way. But for that you need to have a very positive mindset. You need to be match-tough, you need to be confident, have experience, and I think I have a bit of all of that right now, and I think that's the reason I won again today. But it didn't come easy.

I think Borna played a great match. He was very steady. I can see why he caused a lot of problems to a lot of players, and he's only going to improve from here.

So it was a good match. I enjoyed it.

Q. I'm mindful the Australian Open final was five sets, but was that perhaps the hardest anybody has pushed you so far this season?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, probably. I mean, look, I should have lost a match. I was down twice a break in the third, I was down a break in the second.

So, yeah, no doubt about it, this was definitely the toughest match, maybe the toughest match. You know, because against Marin I was also up most of the match, and the only moment I was in a very difficult moment, I think I was down breakpoints at the beginning of the fifth, but then I was able to cruise away.

Today wasn't anything like it. I always felt likes I was down in the score, and so to come back this way was a good one.

Q. From outside it looked like maybe you were a bit slower today than usual. Wondering if there was something wrong for a set and a half or...

ROGER FEDERER: No, no. Maybe early morning. Who knows? I mean, honestly could have been that a little bit.

I think trying to understand Borna's play, because he absorbs a lot of power very easily. He's a great retriever. It became a bit of a cat-and-mouse game. And when you're thinking you can play offense all the time and then he catches you offguard and you have to go back into defense, I felt like maybe in the beginning it wasn't happening naturally, but I thought he was protecting his serve very well.

I was just hoping that through tougher rallies and staying in the match for longer, you know, I would start to feel better in defense, particularly because in the beginning it wasn't quite there. But I think it had something to do with him rather than me. I'm physically totally fine. So, yeah, I'm happy I'm feeling this way, actually.

Q. Juan Martin is up a set and a break. Assuming he does make it through, he told us how much he likes playing you and that for him he would pick you to play in any final.

ROGER FEDERER: Is that a good thing?

Q. He was saying it in a good way.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I don't know. That's a bad thing for me, then.

Q. Can you reflect on the kind of rivalry you have with him?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, we have had a lot of close matches. Big matches, close matches. Jeez, I just tried to think back at the French Open semis, US Open finals, Olympic semis, Basel finals, a bunch of those guys, and few World Tour Finals matches, Shanghai. Just three-setters, five-setters the whole way. It's been good, you know.

I think we have an interesting matchup, you know. We both know what the other is trying to do, and we try to stop the other person from doing it. But it's hard when me or him is in full flight. It's basically an arm wrestle the whole time, and I think we enjoy that.

We know each other well. I think we respect each other in a big way. We're both happy for one another, I think, when we do well, generally happy.

So it's nice to see him back in the top 10 and making big strides now, and I think he's going to have a great season. I'm very happy for him.

Q. Speaking of chance, how did you feel about Sugar Ray Leonard watching your match?

ROGER FEDERER: Was he there? Didn't know. Well, I'm happy that he was there. I hope he comes back again, and hopefully somebody will let me know beforehand (smiling).

Because I saw Sampras and Laver there. So many times during the game you think to yourself, What are they thinking, you know?

So it's interesting when you have fellow athletes watching you play. It's maybe the biggest inspiration out there for a player.

Q. Can you talk about that 9:15 pasta? I heard you on the court. Pretty different from your normal morning routines.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, but it's okay. You know, I don't mind it. In the juniors we had that all the time. We play three matches a day. It was normal that you would eat and go out and play. You couldn't digest the food sometimes. Things change. That's who we are, the tennis players.

But it was definitely a change of the rhythm. It's been a long time since I played this early, so I really -- you have to force yourself to go to bed late last night, because you know you're trying everything just to be really ready for an 11:00 start.

I woke up early this morning, got out, practiced, and tried to get a sweat going, and, you know, it's just different. So different is good sometimes. But, yeah, sure, it was a slightly different schedule today than the other days, for sure.

Q. With respect to your enjoyment of the game, how important are these close matches where you really have to fight?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, very important. I mean, even if you lose those, still, the fighting matches are the ones that can bring you -- sometimes you turn a victory or at least give you a shot like today. Okay, it's the semis, but sometimes it happens earlier in the tournament, you know.

It's not supposed to be all easy where you win in straight, you win again in straight, and again and again, like at Wimbledon last there. Even there, I saved set points. I had to hit a lot of good shots in very important moments to, you know, not make it go four sets or, you know, who knows what happens then if you dropped a set.

I enjoy these fighting matches, because very often I can't talk enough about my quality of my grit and my fighting spirit. But when it happens, I actually enjoy the battle, because it's what it's supposed to be, to be quite honest.

Q. Can you just talk about Borna's poise and maturity out there? Just seemed like he was forcing you to hit winners.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, absolutely. I think he's always going to ask the questions, you know. If you play poorly, you'll probably lose against him. If you play good, things look good for you. And even then, he's going to check you, because he's a good retriever.

I think for him it's just going to be very important to be very strong mentally, because he's going to go through phases where it's maybe going to be raining winners on him because he gives you a chance to hit it, and then he's just got to stay the course and work extremely hard.

I have practiced with him in Dubai also once, twice before, and, you know, I think he works very hard. But I think last couple of years he's been trying to recalibrate his game a little bit. He wanted to play a bit more up in the court and start playing more aggressive, but then the problem is what is aggressive enough? You don't want to give too many balls away. You don't want to just hand over too many games just by missing shots. I think that's going to be the key for him moving forward.

But look, I mean, I think he played a great tournament, beat some great players early in the tournament easily, and that's going to give him a world of confidence. Then he won the close ones except this one today. But okay. That's okay. I think he can take a lot out of this match and also the whole week and move forward from here.

I think he's good on clay, good on hard courts, so I think he's got hopefully a very good year ahead of himself.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2018 (FINAL) - Press Conference March 18 (Sunday)

Post by Cromar Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 pm

IW 2018 (FINAL) - Press Conference March 18   (vs J.M. Del Potro)

> BNP Paribas Open 2018: Roger Federer Runner-Up Press Conference

J.M. Del Potro Argentine  -  R. Federer Switzerland : 6-4, 6-7, 7-6

YouTube  BNP Paribas Open - Published on Mar. 19, 2018
Roger Federer speaks to the press following the championship match at the 2018 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

> Press Conference Transcript (FINAL) - March 18, 2018

BNP Paribas Open
Indian Wells, California

Roger Federer

J.M. DEL POTRO  -  R. Federer : 6-4, 68-7, 7-62
Match Details

Q. Talk a little bit about just the twists and turns in that match. It really felt tense. You could almost see it on both of your faces.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I think you described it. It was a lot of chances on either end. He should have maybe closed it first in the second set, I believe. Even early in the second set, I think he had break point chances, but I was able to find my game and get out of that game.

Yeah, then it was close. I had maybe a bit more chances early on in the second set to maybe get even a break earlier, but I finally got it and served for the match, couple match points, two, three, not even really sure. It doesn't matter whether it was 20 or 1 (smiling).

But, you know, look, it's disappointing, but I thought it was a good match. Yeah, Juan Martin was a bit better at the end. It was maybe a point here or there, maybe a shot, maybe a forehand, maybe a chip.

So that's how it goes. It's unfortunate, but I'm happy for him. Well done to him.

Q. We don't see you get too irritated during matches too often. I was just wondering what was bothering you today and just in your conversations with the umpire.

ROGER FEDERER: I don't even remember half of it, to be honest. I don't want to get into the details, you know. I think I was just also just trying to pump myself up more, you know, to get energy for me.

So, yeah, that's basically it. I don't -- I really don't want to get into it. It had no effect on the outcome of the match. I think we both, you know, went after the umpire for different reasons or the same reasons in different moments. He's got a tough job sometimes and sometimes not, so depends on how you take it.

Q. Any particular reason for the bearded look this week?

ROGER FEDERER: Nope. Next question? (Smiling.) No, really there is not.

Q. What do you think happened in the tiebreaker of the last set? Was it all the emotions that were going on already with a bit of tiredness or...

ROGER FEDERER: No, I started badly. Bad return first up. He had a good return after that. I don't know. Just probably took some wrong decisions, you know, along the way. I lost my serve a little bit. Yeah, and then he was clean and I wasn't. And then it goes very quickly in the breaker.

As close as it can be sometimes when you're not feeling it or momentum has shifted, it's just crazy how it can go the other way. But, you know, I had already missed my opportunities then, but I still -- you know, standing at the trophy ceremony, I think I would like to play that tiebreaker again, because I don't know what the hell happened. But it's okay. You know, it happens sometimes.

Q. You played Del Potro I think four times last year. What are some of the subtle differences in his game since he's really come back to the tour?

ROGER FEDERER: What the differences are?

Q. Yeah. Has he changed his game out since he went out with the wrist surgeries?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, he's been back a while now, hasn't he? Has he not been back for almost two years now?

Yeah, I mean, look, in the beginning he was chipping a lot, for quite a while, actually. I was surprised how long it took him to get more and more confident coming over, but I feel like he's finally there. I mean, only he will answer the question. Later on when he comes in, you can ask him.

But I feel like he looks good on the backhand now. Basically to his old self, really. Yeah, I mean, I just think it was, for him, probably a confidence thing, you know, on the backhand side.

But what's interesting is that he put himself out there with no double-hander almost, but just happy to slice and still take losses, I guess, you know, because he knew it was going to probably not be enough against some players, but he was happy enough playing this way, which I admire a lot.

Over time he got more and more confident, and now he's here and he's won a Masters 1000. It's a great story. That's why I'm also very happy for him today.

Q. Your story is an important one. Persistence and self-belief. Where do you get your self-belief from and what is something you want kids and young adults to learn from you?

ROGER FEDERER: Tough question. I don't know how much time we have, but, yeah. I mean, look, I think staying positive through the tough moments is really key. Because you're always going to go through ups and downs in your career, or as a person for that matter. Not every day is sun shining. It's sometimes a bit of a struggle and important that you take the right decisions; you surround yourself with the right people; you know, you're happy with what you have.

Of course you can always try to want more and have more and everything, but you might never be happy when you search for things like this.

You know, I have been content for a long, long time on the tour. I guess ever since I became world No. 1 back in 2004 and won Wimbledon in 2003, my life was complete as a tennis player. Those were my dreams as a little kid.

So that's why retirement can wait, and I'm just really enjoying the ride, you know. Yeah, I'm really having a good time on the tour. And I think by having had, you know, problems of my own in '16, I think maybe people saw -- it hasn't always come easy for me, as well, because people like to see the easy part, you know, how I make it look easy. It's not always like that. For nobody it's like that at the top.

Yeah, it's a good story. When I can inspire and motivate people through my story, that's obviously a great thing.

Q. Do you think you grew as a man and in your appreciation of tennis when you were off for all those months?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I don't think so. I think I appreciate more the guys who have been hurt, because I was in that position now.

Because that's the part I didn't quite understand, you know. When guys had to do surgery and rehab, you know, what you go through, you can't put yourself into their position if you've never had it. So I think I definitely have big appreciations what you go through when you are hurt.

Q. You have a very strong record against him, but in finals he's actually 4-2 against you. Do you think he does anything differently in finals or do you read much into that, or is it purely just a statistic?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, who knows? I don't know. You could read into it whatever you want, you know. Should I have won the US Open finals? I could have, should have. I don't know. I didn't. Same today. So that would have changed the whole thing around.

But he stuck around and, you know, like most players who go deep in a tournament, the better they start playing, you know. So clearly the tougher they seem to beat. But, you know, of course I have had a few wins against him when he was still younger, you know, where I almost had to win because, you know, he wasn't quite there yet.

So that's why I also have a better head-to-head, but I did win the last four or five, I guess. Yeah, I'm not sure why the final record is the way it is. A lot of them have been extremely tight. 7-6 in the third set in Basel, another three-setter in Basel I lost. Most of them have gone the distance, so it's been tough against him.

Q. I think a couple weeks ago you said you'd make the call after Indian Wells as to whether you'd play the French Open?

ROGER FEDERER: After Miami.

Q. After Miami?

ROGER FEDERER: Maybe I said something wrong, but I did say Miami several times now since probably.

Q. Obviously the loss is a big disappointment, but when it was so tight, does it take a little bit longer to get over or by this evening you'll be over it?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, yeah, I have to get over it. There is no way around it.

I mean, I don't know. I feel frustrated, you know, that I let an opportunity like this go by. Serving 40-15, any game I probably win -- I don't know what the stat is -- 90-something percent.

So it should sting, like you said, for a bit. The question is how long? It won't be long, but it's disappointing talking about a great match like this, losing, even though I was right there, you know.

I don't know. Having Juan Martin come in and having to hit something past me that's very uncomfortable for him, and you pick the wrong side and you're like, Why am I picking the wrong side? Is it him or me? What is it? You just don't know. Next thing you're shaking hands and congratulating your opponent. It's like, Okay, too good. You move on.

And obviously there is not too much time to dwell over it. Like I said, I'm happy for Juan Martin. It's a tough one. And I still had a good week here. I still see the positives at the end of the day.

It was a great match, honestly. Good fun. Good intensity. We enjoy that. And also it was tough and fair on the court. It was Juan Martin and myself. At the end you saw we are appreciative of the finals that we played against each other, which I think is really important for both of us.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW Pressers

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:54 pm

^^^ Hate that question about the record in finals being 4-2. I mean, good grief! Roger had MPs otherwise it would be 3-3. Roger could have won the USO final in 2009. Same with one of their Basel finals which was also a final set TB. It's not like Delpo is 6-0 in finals and they were all 6-1 6-1!
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Indian Wells 2018 Press Conferences

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum