Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2018 Press Conferences

2 posters

Go down

Normal Wimbledon 2018 Press Conferences

Post by fedled Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:13 pm

Wimbledon 2018 Press Conferences 2018_w13

Roger at today's Wimbledon pre-tournament presser at 3.30 pm (BST) after practising.  Some quotes from Ubitennis on twitter:
Federer: "If I think of tomorrow, it's a big deal, always nerve wracking to go out there on the first day, all the eyes are on you ...
Going out to play the 1st round on a virgin Centre Court is like entering the court to play a finaI ...
In 2008 it was a tough loss, I was on my way to make it six in a row. It's one of those matches I think me and Rafa will talk about when we'll be old, in our rocking chairs (laughter) ...
The tester from WADA lives near to me in Switzerland, so it's very convenient for him, like when he's bored he'll think, let's check out on Roger (laughter) ...
It's so exciting to see Serena trying the big comeback ...
I'm feeling really good, I was a little bit tired just at the beginning of the week. In practice I'm hitting the ball well, I'm confident for tomorrow ...
I love hitting with juniors, exciting for them but also for me, there's a good vibe every time ...
I love to play with everybody. Sometimes I go to the practice courts and ask, who am I hitting with today? Seppi? Great!"
[Cromar - if you want to delete this when the 'proper' presser is available, I'll be happy with that!]
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimbledon 2018 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference (SUN 1 JUL)

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Wimbledon 2018 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference
SUN 1 Jul 2018

> VIDEO

YouTube
WIMBLEDON - Published on Jul 1, 2018 (30:57)
Roger Federer ready for 'nerve-wracking' return

> Transcript

WIMBLEDON
SUN 1 JUL 2018

Roger Federer: Pre-Championships

Roger Federer talks to the media before the start of The Championships

Q. You're going to play for the eighth time tomorrow the first match on Centre Court. Can you elaborate on how special this moment is, the memories you have.

ROGER FEDERER: The first one, I'm not sure how much I remember of it. If I think of tomorrow now, I think it remains a little bit nerve-racking, you know, in all honesty. It's a big deal. I mean, besides the history and the mythical place that it is, you cannot also practice on it. When you come out, there's a bit of uncertainty for both players, from a very quiet week and site that
we've seen this week, it's just packed everywhere. The entire atmosphere changes at Wimbledon, and you realize the eyes are on you. That naturally makes you a bit nervous, you know, I believe.

Plus it's not the second day or something, or a Wednesday sometimes like it used to be at the US Open when you started the tournament, you're basically the first one on the show court. It's always a lot to ask for from the players, but I love it. It's a massive honor. You try to do your best.

I'm looking forward to it. It's exciting.

Q. Speaking of memories, it's 10 years since you played the epic final with Rafa. What motivation did that give you to stay at the top of your game as you look to defend your title here?

ROGER FEDERER: For this year, nothing, to be honest.

Q. Over time.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think it was one of the hardest losses I ever had, no doubt about it. I was so close to making it six in a row. The initial reaction was, Okay, got to win it again next year, '09, and I did, in an epic one against Roddick. That was beautiful after the heartbreak in '08.

It was a great match for many reasons. It also made me more human potentially, the loss under the circumstances. But it was a great match to be part of.

We go back in time with Rafa. I'm sure that we'll talk about it when we're older in the rocking chair, you know (smiling). We'll talk about how it all was. I'm sure I took something away from it, but mostly positive, even though the moment was pretty hard naturally.

Q. You're playing on a completely virgin court tomorrow. Arthur Ashe said you can use the wide serve because it's juicy and slick. Do you think you have an advantage having played eight times before and your opponent won't have that advantage?

ROGER FEDERER: I'm not sure, you know. I think experience helps me that I've played a lot of matches, a lot of big matches. It feels like walking out for a finals, it really does. It's maybe more nerve-wracking because you're not acclimatized to the court yet. I think that might help me, the big-time match play that I've had over the course of my career.

I don't remember how it played exactly last year. I'm sure when I was defending champion last time, maybe after six games or so or something, you'll all of a sudden get the feel for it, how it used to be. That might calm the nerves down.

I remember I've had matches where nerves really never went down, I played nervous the entire match. I think the beginning of the match will be quite crucial to settle the nerves for my opponent and myself as well.

Q. Serena was in here earlier, talked about being tested outside of competition five times this year, and that started a conversation about what is excessive. How many times have you been tested out of competition? In your view, is there ever too much testing that can be done in this sport?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, if they rock up 10 times a day, it gets rough. No doubt about it. Because they can. Obviously probably the maximum they will come within that hour is two. It will be the Swiss Olympics and the International Federation that will show up in the same time slot.

I've had a lot of testing the last month. I think I've had seven tests. It's been quite heavy. Also blood and urine. Two in Stuttgart, in Halle. In the village I live in in Switzerland, the tester lives in the same village, so it's very convenient (smiling). It's very convenient. If he's bored at home, he probably just says, Let me check in on Roger to see if he's having a good time (laughter). Anyway, it's only going to take 10 minutes, whatever.

I've been tested quite a bit, quite frequently out of competition. I mentioned many times in Dubai I've hardly ever been tested, which has been quite disappointing. To honest, in the 15 years I've been there, it's been one test.

I think it varies from place to place that you spend your time in. Maybe that's the part I don't like so much: the inconsistency of the places where they test. I understand it probably also has something to do with the budget of WADA, like flying somebody there just for that one test, I understand. Yet that should not be an excuse. That's why I think after all we still need more funding. I hope that's going to happen.

I don't believe there's ever going to be enough testing. What's important is these people are professional, they know what they're doing, they treat you like humans, not like criminals. Then it's okay. But I understand the frustration sometimes. I have it, too.

Q. You've called Serena Williams the greatest tennis player of all time. What do you make of her attempt at a comeback after becoming a mother?

ROGER FEDERER: Great, exciting. I'm happy she chose to take that route and not walk away from the game, which would have been totally fine. Why not? After everything she's done, it would have been the perfect excuse and exit to say, I've had it.

I'm very excited to see her attempting an amazing comeback, this time with a baby. It's a different life. Massive challenge for her, but I'm sure one she's up for it.

Q. You look even more handsome than last year.
ROGER FEDERER: Okay, thank you (smiling).

Q. How do you feel?
ROGER FEDERER: I feel great now (laughter). I feel red.

Q. How do you feel physically this year, this time?
ROGER FEDERER: Incredibly sexy (laughter).

Q. I still remember last year, you told me you feel tired, more tired.
ROGER FEDERER: Oh, yeah.

Q. During the Australian Open, because the long and hard match, yeah. But when you came to Wimbledon, you feel much better, much more relaxed. How about this year?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I look good, I feel good, so it's all good (smiling).

Honestly, I'm feeling good. I was tired at the beginning of the week because of the nine matches I played in 12 days in Stuttgart and Halle. I think the three months did me again a world of good, that I didn't play during the clay court season. We had a great time, vacation, family time, practice, fitness, tennis. Everything worked very well.

This week was very much for me just to recover, come in fresh for tomorrow. I think tomorrow is a very important match for me. I'm happy that in practice everything is going well. I'm hitting the ball well. I'm hopeful for tomorrow. I'm confident, I guess, to some extent because I played all the grass court matches I was hoping to play.

Thank you for the compliment. I feel even better now. Thank you.

Q. There is a World Cup. Everybody was talking about Ronaldo, Messi. Do you think Federer and Nadal are in a way the Ronaldo and Messi of the tennis? Do you see any comparison?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure, yeah. They have a long-standing rivalry. I have the same with Rafa. They're very different from one another. I guess there's some similarities there as well. As similar as we are, Rafa and myself, we're still very different on many levels. I think it's pretty much the same for them.

I never met them, so I can't really talk about how different or how similar they are to our rivalry. Obviously in football, it's different because you're only as good as your team. The pitch is huge, with 11 of them running around. With us, we're a little more in control, let's be honest. I hope I can control it a bit better than they could. We'll see how it goes.

Q. I notice you were practicing the other day with a young Scottish junior Aidan McHugh. Did he make an impression on you?

ROGER FEDERER: I wanted to hit a bit of two-on-ones this week, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. I had my coaches check out who is available, who is around. Then, yeah, hit with I think three Scottish juniors potentially throughout those three days.

I'm not sure exactly which one you're talking about. Is it the one with the one-handed backhand?

Q. Yeah.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, no, very good. Didn't I play with him in Glasgow, too?

Q. Yes.
ROGER FEDERER: He played better than in Glasgow. He only got two points there. I was impressed.

They're all really nice people. I like the Scottish. It was great fun. I love hitting with juniors because I feel it's exciting for me, it's exciting for them usually. I don't know, it's a good vibe. Especially when there's three on the court, there's more conversations. It's a bit more laid back than intense when you start playing rallies.

I liked what I saw. I wish him well.

Q. It's going back a bit, but can you talk more about your trip to Zambia. Muhammad Ali went to Africa, had a big change on the way he saw the world. Did you have that type of experience, changed you as a person?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I'm sure it did a long time ago when I used to go there on vacation with my parents. Africa, the continent, South Africa, for that matter, is very different to Switzerland. It's why I also started my foundation, because I felt like there was a need. There is a way to help.

For me, it was something that inspired me, to do work through education. In Switzerland we all have it. In Africa, not everybody has it. We moan sometimes about it. Ah, I have to go to school, I'm tired, I didn't sleep enough, and all that stuff. In Africa, they wish they could go to school.

I think doing a trip and seeing firsthand to see where the help goes, speak to the partner organizations we work with to meet maybe governments, maybe chiefs, there's a lot of protocol. But I can open doors for the foundation and the partners.

It was a wonderful trip. It inspires me and motivates me to come back and raise more money. It also is a way to thank the people who have donated money, sponsors and individuals alike, who trust in my work. It's a way to show also how serious I am about it.

I love the trip. Clearly it has some very poor corners of the country. When you come back, you just want to do much more. So I'm looking forward to that challenge.

Q. Neither you nor Rafa dwell a great deal on 2008. Is it because you talk about it too much? Is it because it's too much in the past? You're forward-looking? What is your thinking on that?

ROGER FEDERER: You have the feeling we don't talk about it very much?

Q. You both seem to downplay it.

ROGER FEDERER: Really? Okay.

I'm not sure. I feel like there was definitely a spell where you have other things to talk about. There has been another match we played against and all that. Now it's come up again because it's been the 10 years.

For me, funny enough, when I did an interview with the Tennis Channel, I talked about it, they mentioned certain things about the match, and I had no clue any more.

Honestly, I think for me it was one of the matches I tried to sort of forget a little bit. I remember it being dark. I remember the passing shot down the line. I remember the things I said pretty much vaguely. I hardly remember there were rain delays, to be honest.

Funny enough, I think once that match was over, all you remember is certain things, and you sort of need to move on. You can't look back and think back, fourth set, 30-All, what happened in that third game?

In tennis. It's very fast-paced. You have something else to look forward to. The US Open is coming up, Cincinnati, I need to bounce back now, I need to shake it off.

For me maybe it's harder to talk about because I lost it. For him maybe, because he won it, it was such a big match, it was less about him winning, but just the match itself. Maybe he also feels uncomfortable digging into it, which I think shouldn't be a problem, because that's how you want to win your first Wimbledon, in my opinion, to be honest.

I don't know. I disagree with you that we don't like to talk about it. I'm happy to always answer all the questions. I also haven't been asked for some time about it. Thankfully there were more highlights since then for both of us, which I guess also helps.

Q. You spoke about practicing with the juniors. How do you go about deciding who to practice with, whether it's a highly ranked pro, a junior, a lefty, a tall guy, a big server? Explain a little bit about that process, if it's solely your decision, coaching?

ROGER FEDERER: Little bit. Yeah, we talk about it beforehand, what are we looking forward to in the week, what should I be working on, so forth. Depending on if you're seeking rhythm, you might look more for a rhythm player clearly. If you're playing points, maybe it doesn't matter so much. Maybe you can also play with a bigger server maybe more often.

Occasionally I like to play with lefties again, because sometimes you go through spells where you don't play against lefties, don't hit with lefties. Next thing you know three months have gone by. It's just good to, again, see that lefty slider. Everything is different. It's a big challenge.

Sometimes, like this week, two-on-ones are fun again because you can hit the ball wherever you want. You don't have to hold back ever. That's a good thing, I believe.

But about who to practice with, they usually ask me, What about this guy?

I'm like, Sure, that's fine.

Very seldom do I reject anybody they offer. Sometimes it happens that I walk to the courts, Who am I practicing with today? Seppi. I'm like, Great.

I like to delegate. They know how to manage it by now. That's why it's a well-oiled machine. That's why I think it's fun the way we work together, because we know. That's helpful because we don't have to always communicate about everything, so... It's good.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimbledon 2018 - R1 Press Conference (MON 2 JUL)

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:20 am

Wimbledon 2018 - R1 Press Conference   (vs D. Lajovic)
MON 2 Jul 2018

Round of 128 (R1) - Center Court - 1 pm

Roger Federer  Switzerland   d. Dusan Lajovic  Serbia   :   6-1, 6-3, 6-4   Match Stats

> VIDEO (English / German / French)

YouTube
WIMBLEDON - Published on Jul 2, 2018 (20:44)
Roger Federer glad to be back at Wimbledon

> Transcript

Roger Federer: First round
Roger Federer speaks to the media after his 6-1, 6-3, 6-4 win against Dusan Lajovic

WIMBLEDON
MON 2 JUL 2018

Roger Federer speaks to the media after his 6-1, 6-3, 6-4 win against Dusan Lajovic

Q. I don't know if you have to congratulate more because of your win or the $300 million deal with Uniqlo until you're 47 years old.

ROGER FEDERER: It's good you know my contract or you have no clue and you're just saying something (smiling).

Yeah, I'm very happy on both ends, absolutely. I'm happy to be back at Wimbledon. I was really able to enjoy the match out there because I got off to a good start. When you get off to a good start in set one and two, you're able to just enjoy the moment more than when you're struggling early on, especially at the tournament like I explained yesterday. There is always pressure and nerves when you go into a first round.

Also I was excited to wear Uniqlo today. I must tell you, it's been a long time coming. I felt very good out there. It's also crucial to play well, so it was helpful.

Q. You've been saying for quite a long time that you wanted to play until your kids could remember seeing you play. We've seen the twin girls and also the twin boys in the box today. Could you say that is definitely mission accomplished? Do you have the feeling the boys know what their dad is doing out there?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, they know I play a lot of tennis, but I'm not sure if they know that -- I don't know. They won't know what my ranking would be. They wouldn't know what I'm actually maybe trying to do really. They know that there is a trophy involved at some point if I do play well, because they get most excited about the trophies.

I think probably it would be helpful a few more years for the boys to really remember. The girls, they will always remember at this point, of course. I'm not sure about the boys.

It was nice to see them there today walking out, walking off, seeing them there. It means the world to me, also to my wife. Yeah, it's definitely a special day today in my life again.

Q. Yesterday you spoke about the importance of the first six games of a match, you get settled. How did you feel about your first six games today?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, it was good. I was nervous in the warmup, in the five-minute hitting. When the match started, I really felt like nerves settled. I returned well quickly. I felt my legs were moving. That's then what gave me the confidence quickly to see like, Okay, I think I know very quickly within two to four games what I need to do to cause problems for Lajovic.

I also watched some of the match I played against him last year. My legs were really not moving. Also Severin and Ivan gave me good advice. I think that all settled my nerves.

Yeah, took me faster than six games to figure everything out. Court played great. It's wonderful. Wonderful to be back here.

Q. I wanted to ask you about your Nike hat, the Roger Federer hat. I hear they still have that, but you can't use it right now. Will that end at some point? What happens with it?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, so the RF logo is with Nike at the moment, but it will come to me at some point. I hope rather sooner than later, that Nike can be nice and helpful in the process to bring it over to me. It's also something that was very important for me, for the fans really.

Look, it's the process. But the good news is that it will come with me at one point. They are my initials. They are mine. The good thing is it's not theirs forever. In a short period of time, it will come to me.

Obviously we also need to figure out with Uniqlo when at one point we can start selling clothes for the public as well. All this has just gotten underway. We're hopeful the beginning of next year people can also start buying my stuff. For the moment, as fast at retailing as they are, as great as they are, it just needs a bit of time.

Q. Overnight Tennis Australia announced that the World Team Cup is going to be happening in about 18 months time, the Davis Cup is also supposed to potentially become a November event. I think it was said it would be insanity to have the two of them so close. What do you think about this team event mania?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, it's very new news. I've only just gotten all the details just now before the press. I don't look totally silly in here not knowing the facts at all. Honestly, I was a bit out of it the last few months. I wasn't really totally involved in anything.

I think, look, what tennis needs to do and look at is probably something that works also against other sports, not just the internal battles that we always face with politics on the inside of our sport, maybe think more what's good for our sport to rival big events. World Cup is going on right now in soccer for a month. It just basically takes over. Not here, because Wimbledon has established themselves as an amazing tournament. I think that's what needs to be the goal.

In Australia, I'm sure it would be very successful, what the ATP and Tennis Australia are trying to do. The question is now, like you said, what is going to happen with the Davis Cup and the ITF, how are they going to react to all of this. I'm not sure.

In a perfect world, you want to coexist, everybody be successful. Maybe this is going to lead to something extraordinary in the future. I don't know exactly what. Maybe not in five years, maybe in 20 years. There's always a process to everything.

That's how I feel right now. I'm also intrigued to find out how good all these events are going to be, what Davis Cup is going to do now.

Q. Andy Murray obviously had to withdraw yesterday. What would be your advice to him about scheduling to prolong his career as long as possible?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I'm not going to tell him what to play and what not to play. I think most important is if he does return, he's fully fit, because then anything is possible, especially for a former top guy. You have it. You don't forget how to play tennis. It's like riding a bike your brushing your teeth. It's not like you're going to all of a sudden rock up and forget about it all.

I think the body just needs to be there. Seems right now it's not the case. You wonder, Why did he then play Queen's and Eastbourne? Only he and his team know.

Look, that's the only advice I would give. I've realized that, that if you do come back too soon, it's always a problem. I feel like it lingers more. I'm hopeful he's going to feel better and better as time goes by. If that means he comes back in a month, that's great. If he comes back in a year, well, so be it.

I'm hopeful to see a fully fit Andy Murray again. That's what I care about really as a fellow rival, friend, guy around who has been there before. That's what I'm hopeful for.

Q. You've gotten a lot of records recently. One of yours is going to be broken at this tournament. Lopez will get the record for most consecutive slams played. Have you talked to him about it? Could you also just address your shoes, if you have a contract for the shoes?

ROGER FEDERER: So, I haven't spoken to Feliciano about it. I'm happy for him. I had a good run. I don't know. It wasn't like my number one concern. But it's nice that more and more players are able to keep themselves in shape. Especially I think as Feliciano and me, we go way back to the Junior European Championships under-16 here in Hatfield, all the way to today, that we can talk about breaking each other's records, him breaking mine. It's a great thing.

It's a testament for both of us to keep yourself in shape, loving the sport. I hope that many more players can achieve such a thing.

Obviously also the slams have grown in stature over the last years now. Everybody now wants to play everywhere, at all slams. Not like when I came on tour, people would skip Wimbledon, because grass wasn't their thing, clay, vice versa.

With the shoe situation, I don't have a shoe deal. I'm looking forward to see what shoes I will be wearing in the near future. For now, I will be wearing Nike. They have shown interest to have a shoe deal with me, as well. Ties are not broken there. I have deep roots with Nike. I've had a great relationship over the last 20 years. But everything is open. Yeah, it's very exciting also again to see what's out there, who wants to do something with me.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimbledon 2018 - R2 Press Conference (WED 4 JUL)

Post by Cromar Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Wimbledon 2018 - R2 Press Conference   (vs L. Lacko)
WED 4 Jul 2018

Round of 64 (R2) - Center Court - 2nd match after 1 pm

Roger Federer  Switzerland   d. Lukas Lacko   :   6-4, 6-4, 6-1   Match Stats

> VIDEO (English/German/French)

YouTube
WIMBLEDON - Published on Jul 4, 2018 (20:59)
Roger Federer talks about his form, footwork - and the FIFA World Cup!

> Transcript

Roger Federer: Second round
Roger Federer speaks to the media after his 6-4, 6-4, 6-1 win against Lukas Lacko

WIMBLEDON
WED 4 JUL 2018

Roger Federer speaks to the media after his 6-4, 6-4, 6-1 win against Lukas Lacko

Q. The serving was sensational today. At one point it said you were averaging 70 seconds or less per service game. How do you manage to read the game so well and kill off the points so quickly?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, it's on certain days it goes better than others. Sometimes your serve matches up better against certain players. There's no doubt about that, as well.

I think important is when you want to serve well is your point-for-point mentality, saying maybe the first point is as important as a breakpoint, so the concentration is the same. Trying to remember all the things you've done throughout the entire match, what has worked, what hasn't worked.

I don't need that much time, especially after a short previous rally to go through all of that. Just reassess everything very quickly. I think I can do that very good. Then it's more than just serving. It's also first-strike tennis, serve and first shot, serve and taking the right decisions as you go along, in the rallies as well.

As the match went on, I was able to do that better and better. I guess you're referring to it. That's how it felt anyway. I don't know the statistics. Second and third set, that worked out very well. I think I took the right decisions, as well, from that first set.

Q. What do you consider to be the biggest factors that make grass your most successful surface?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I don't know. Maybe it's that it helps my slice. That maybe the footwork on grass comes easier to me than for other guys. I'm not sure. Then because I have a decent speed on the serve, and I can serve kick and slice. Maybe also the grass helps me just a little bit to get a few more free points than what it would on some other surfaces.

I'm not sure.

Q. Footwork specifically, what do you think the key is to your footwork on grass?

ROGER FEDERER: I think maybe my balance. I think I have good balance. I rarely slip. I rarely fall down or lose my balance in general. On grass it's the same.

For me, if I'm playing on grass or not, it doesn't make that much of a difference. It comes natural. When it's natural, you don't think about it. It just happens. Yeah, I think I must say balance.

Q. What is your response to Serena Williams saying she's not going to stop playing tennis until you've stopped playing tennis?

ROGER FEDERER: Okay (smiling). Yeah, I guess it's a good thing. I'm not sure. I don't know if it's a good thing for her, because maybe she wanted to play longer or shorter. I don't know.

But I'm sure she was joking, so... Let's be honest for a second.

Q. Would it be fair to say you're putting a smile back on the face of Swiss sport with your success today?

ROGER FEDERER: Is it that bad in Switzerland right now? I don't think so.

Q. I don't know. I can't afford to go there.

ROGER FEDERER: One day you could (smiling).

Q. I know you're a big soccer fan. What have you made of the World Cup defeat yesterday? Which team will you be rooting for now? Surely there's only one answer to that.

ROGER FEDERER: Is there (smiling)?

Yeah, I don't know, I was disappointed yesterday. I expected more from the team. But that's the thing with knock-out. When you have to bring it like it was the finals every match, it's 11 guys at the same time. It can't just be three guys, eight guys. It needs to be everybody at the same time doing the same thing. That's what is hard, I guess, in a collective like that.

Yeah, I felt it's an opportunity missed. I think we had our chance against Sweden. In the end, I thought they were maybe a little bit better. We didn't create enough chances. At the end I do believe the one who usually creates a bit more deserves it, as well.

It's not sour, the taste in the end. I think we deserved what we got. Maybe we're not part of the best eight in the world. I'm not sure.

Q. Any advice you can offer them, a pep talk maybe?

ROGER FEDERER: Now the pep talk is too late anyway.

I think important is that they understand you got to bring the energy every single day. It's throughout the year. It's not just in the World Cup, last 16, or quarters. That's why you need to bring it every single day.

When you step out on the pitch, or on the court in tennis, in practice, in the match, you have to always try to be be able to as high as possible. Then it's actually not a big deal to bring it also in a match like yesterday. I don't know if, for a fact, that was the issue.

What I know from knock-out play throughout the course of my career, you can't afford to come in lethargic or not thinking. You just think it's going to happen by itself, just because you play one good match the day before. You're only as good as your next performance really.

I don't know who I'm going to root for yet. I have to check it out. But my favorite team is gone, so it won't be the same any more for me.

Q. A lot of the giants and big servers are doing well. Reached finals. Do you think that's a good thing for tennis? Do you think they will be more dominant once your generation has gone?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I think Marin, you're probably talking about del Potro, Zverev, Cilic, and Isner.

Q. Anderson.

ROGER FEDERER: Anderson, yeah. They've been doing very well. I think they're probably doing the right things and it's clicking at this time. Honestly, I think also guys are taller nowadays. Before the average was maybe more my size. Now I feel like the average is going up of the guys that are playing on tour.

It's natural maybe that we have more guys doing better. I think the bigger guys are also taking care of their bodies better, whereas in the past tall guys used to struggle after a while. Maybe they are also picking more wisely their schedules now.

I don't think it's necessarily going to be a trend. I do remember, my mind goes back that far, that Rafa dominated the clay. He's not the tallest guy, biggest server out there. I think it just happens to be this way right now. But they deserve their success that they have because they did play very, very well so far.

Q. When you win a game at Wimbledon, they say 'game Federer.' When one of the women wins, they play 'game Miss Wozniacki,' or 'game Mrs. Williams.' Would you prefer to be 'Mr. Federer' or something else more formal?

ROGER FEDERER: Why is that actually?

Q. That's their tradition. They have to figure out who is married and who is not married to get that correct.

ROGER FEDERER: Is that right? Okay.

Q. Wimbledon knows everyone who is married in the women's draw.
ROGER FEDERER: When somebody is married they say?

Q. 'Mrs. Williams.'
ROGER FEDERER: If you're not married?

Q. 'Miss.'
ROGER FEDERER: Oh, I didn't know that.

Yeah, no, so for me, I'm happy if they say whatever they say, as long as it is 'game' and my name somewhere, and not 'game' and the other name (laughter). That makes sense, right?

Q. Whenever we speak to people in the queue year on year, there's hundreds of people here to see you. Does it ever cross your mind when you're on the court you have this sea of red and white?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, I do. Every time when I see an article or a video, especially which I enjoy a lot, I see something about the queue, I hear what they say, how excited they are about Wimbledon. They get asked, Who are you here to see? Your name drops, it's always very exciting, I must tell you.

I always have this sort of dream or this thing, I just want to like walk past them and speak to these people, to hear their stories. That's something I've always wanted to do. Then you're like, Nah, maybe not. Who knows how they're going to react.

Especially on day one, I feel like I'm very much aware of it. I don't know if the queue is going on all the time. Yeah, so I'm more aware especially on day one, the Monday, because I feel like everybody knows the defending champion will play then, whereas the second or third day, you're not sure who is going to play on which court, what time, and so forth, whereas the first day is very obvious.

Q. For the second day in a row, they've scheduled two women's match and one men's match on Centre Court. Were you happy to see that? Is that in some way a worry for the men's game?

ROGER FEDERER: I actually didn't know about it until I walked off the court and I asked a friend of mine from the Royal Box, Who is playing after me?
Serena.

Is there a men's match after that?
No, that was it.

I was like, Oh, there's only three matches.

You would think maybe there is room for more tennis on the court. But no, they know what they're doing, so it's all good.

Q. Curiosity about Uniqlo. How many shirts, shorts and socks?

ROGER FEDERER: Why are you asking me? You know all the numbers (laughter).

Q. I know the other numbers.
ROGER FEDERER: You know more.

Q. I'm joking.
ROGER FEDERER: Me, too (smiling).

Q. For instance, you have now not a white one, there is Uniqlo or not?

ROGER FEDERER: Excuse me? It doesn't say Uniqlo all over but it is a Uniqlo shirt.

Q. You go to a new tournament. Is there a lot of stuff, a truck?
ROGER FEDERER: You know.

Q. How many, more or less? 20? 30? 50 shorts?

ROGER FEDERER: No, no. Probably would have to have 15 shorts maybe. They probably wouldn't give them all to me just in case something happened, got away, they have some in reserve. For the shirts, maybe they have 20 to 30. I get probably 15, then they keep some themselves, as well. Socks the same. I have 12 racquets. I have also same amount of headbands probably and wristbands. It's always about the same amount of numbers.

Yeah, then I think with practice stuff, I don't know yet. In the past it also was a bit excessive. I actually always said, I don't need 20 pair of practice shorts. It's okay to have like six or seven.

Q. Now that it's all white?

ROGER FEDERER: No. As you can see, because of the ranking you can play with color, too. Bit of a change.

Q. What has been the key to maintaining your level so long in your career?

ROGER FEDERER: I think physically to stay, you know, up there. Especially now the last five years, I think that's been the number one key. Keep on improving, with my coaches, fitness coach, trying to find new ways to keep practice, the matches entertaining.

So, yeah, I mean, it's been good. I've never fell out of love with the sport. I think that's been helpful, too. Kept the tour fun. Obviously at one point since the last nine, 10 years now, since we have children, trying to make that work in some shape or form with my wife. It's been a lot of change in the last 15 years, no doubt about it. I think we came through it well.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimbledon 2018 - R3 Press Conference (FRI 6 JUL)

Post by Cromar Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:14 am

Wimbledon 2018 - R3 Press Conference   (vs J.L. Struff)
FRI 6 Jul

Round of 32 (R3) - Center Court - 3rd match after 1 pm

Roger Federer  Switzerland   d. Jan-Lennard Struff  Germany   :   6-3, 7-5, 6-2   Match Stats

YouTube
WIMBLEDON - Published on Jul 6, 2018 (23:55)
Roger Federer pleased with Wimbledon form

> Transcript

Roger Federer: Third round
Roger Federer speaks to the media after his 6-3, 7-5, 6-2 win against Jan-Lennard Struff  

WIMBLEDON
FRI 6 JUL 2018

Roger Federer speaks to the media after his 6-3, 7-5, 6-2 win against Jan-Lennard Struff  

Q. I want to know if Struff's game, did it help you to improve your balance in your game?

ROGER FEDERER: I just want to make sure I understand the question correctly.

Q. I was wondering if Struff's game as a hard-hitter helped you today to improve your game, to finding balance?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I think, look, it's good that I faced different types of opponents I think in this first week, was able to find a way to get through. I think it's always helpful.

Like you said, he is a hard-hitter. Always takes time away from the opponent, me today on the serve, on the return, on the first shot after the serve. It's constant.

In the next round it will be a lefty. It will be much more of a strategic match, I believe, the way Mannarino plays.

Yeah, I'm happy I found a way today. Some moments where it can be frustrating because you're not finding any rhythm, at times you're more reacting than playing active tennis. But it's okay. I knew that going in. I'm just very pleased that I found a way that first set, then also stayed calm in the second set, regardless that I had maybe missed opportunities.

He was always going to be a tough third-round opponent.

Q. You talked about Wimbledon being a mystical place. A lot of the women have dropped in the first week. Is that the reason why? And one seed in the men's draw who is not going to be here, Marin Cilic, a potential semifinal match a lot of people were looking forward to. Is it a match that you were looking forward to see where your level is at?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, so with Cilic, clearly we're not there yet. I'm disappointed for him because he's a good guy. I really also expected him to go deep. I played Pella, as well, before in Stuttgart on the grass. I really favored Marin in that match. But Pella did very well to fight back. It was played over two days. It was not just, like, one match. It felt like two matches, maybe also for him. Different conditions. Once he lost his rhythm, I guess he really struggled.

Yeah, I'm not thinking that far ahead. It's true, I favored him in that section together with maybe Raonic. I don't know who else is in that section.

Then on the women's side and the seeds, I think sometimes it's a coincidence that it happens. The guys who have won in previous weeks, like in Stuttgart, in Eastbourne, in Rosmalen, wherever it was, they all happen to lose quite early now, as well. I think it just happened to be this way.

That top seeds from the women's side happened now shows that the field is quite even maybe as well, regardless of who is 1, 2, 3, and 4. Even 10 to 20 are really close, maybe even 30 to 50 are not that far off on the day.

Still throughout the years the best are at the top, otherwise they wouldn't be ranked where they are now.

Q. You seem to be playing freely at the moment. How I think that knowledge might have impacted you, that you might be playing for your 100th title, the buzz it would have created around it as well?

ROGER FEDERER: Honestly it didn't change anything for me. I was worried about just getting through at the end in Halle. I was tired. Didn't say much about it, but it was the eighth or ninth match in 11 or 12 days. I was just trying to stay alive because I should have lost to Benoit Paire in the second round maybe in Halle.

Look, I was just happy to give myself another chance for 99 at the end. Ended up losing. I thought he played very well in that final. Title No. 100, 99, here or there, it doesn't matter.

Honestly I've been in much bigger matches, bigger occasions in the past. I don't think it would have had any impact if I was going for No. 99 here or 100, for me anyhow. It would have been a nice story for you guys, but for me nothing changed after that.

Q. At one stage you hit a half-volley return. Haven't seen you do that often recently. Do you forget about it and remember sometimes?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, little bit. Well, I can never practice it because how do you? I just feel like totally it's not really what you do in a practice with other guys. They would be like, Really? I can only really practice it with my coach. That's why it disappeared a little bit.

When I do it again, it's quite exciting for me, Oh, I can do that maybe again. I always have to check the score first.

I'm happy I did it. I'm happy it worked. After that I feel like I got, how do you say, there is a buzz for me. Okay, shall I do it again, no? What shall I do now this next time? I think it just helps me with keeping it exciting for me, as well, with options.

I already always have the option of slicing or coming over. Then with the SABR, I think it makes it more fun for me. That's always the idea for me in practice or matches, keep it entertaining, keep things going. I don't know, I always look for new ways to win the point.

Q. Stefanos from Greece, how much do you know about him? What do you think of his technique, especially on the backhand side?

ROGER FEDERER: So I think I almost played him here last year. Was he in my second-round section, then he lost?

Q. Raonic beat him.

ROGER FEDERER: Right. I did practice with him. Instead of playing with him in the match, I practiced with him the following day. He was excited about that. I think he would have preferred to play me maybe on Centre Court. We practiced after that a couple times also in Australia.

Yeah, I feel like he's taken a major step forward since his match here last year. My team thought he was not bad, but I think seeing how he's playing now, he seems much more comfortable coming to the net, playing from the back, knowing when to use power, when to use finesse.

I think that's always key for a one-handed backhand player, like I explained. There always needs to be a little bit of that understanding your game. I think it just takes longer when you have a one-handed backhand.

Yeah, I think he's a good kid. He seems very quiet from what I can tell, but always very polite and very sweet. I wish him well. He seems to do very well so far.

He ended up winning today, correct?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: It was 6-2, 6-2, 5-4, with a break, but you never know.

I'm happy for him. I don't know who he plays now. I hope he can play another good match after that. Fabbiano was tough. I thought that could be closer for him.

Q. When there are a lot of upsets at the tournament, does it make you more nervous at all? Do you know that kind of spirals?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, usually it does. Not this time for some reason. Thiem seemed hurt. Cilic maybe is the big exception. I don't know who else lost in our section.

Q. Dimitrov, Stan.

ROGER FEDERER: Dimitrov. I mean, people talk about it like it's a huge surprise. I believe in Stan. I know what Stan can do. At the end of the day, it doesn't feel like a shocking loss for me after all. Then Novak and Rafa, all these guys are still in the draw.

At the end of the day I feel on our side not that much has happened. I know on the women's side more so. I didn't feel the effect this time. In the past it has made me nervous when I've seen bigger guys go out. I feel like, Okay, it's me next time. It's logic.

Q. Your agent said you had a tremendous appetite for fashion.

ROGER FEDERER: I like to eat it. I like to eat my clothes (laughter).

Q. How would you describe the traditional all white outfits at Wimbledon and what they mean to you?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, look, it's good fun that it's different. I already said that numerous times over the years. I think it would be nice to add a splash of color, let's just be honest for a second here.

But I understand that traditions are the way they are. I know that Phil Brook, the chairman right now, he believes in strict tradition, going back to the '50s, '60s. I get it. Back in the day, Borg and McEnroe walked out in red outfits. I'm not saying that should happen again. Maybe it would be nice if we mix it up a little bit more.

It also creates for the brands a challenge, how much different can you make white. There is ways to do it. They're trying hard, let's put it that way.

Q. Novak mentioned how interesting it was trying to get from one side of the site to Court 2 through the crowds. Why did you choose to practice on one of those courts down there when most people practice on Aorangi? Is it because the courts are different or because you like that interaction?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I don't choose which court to practice on at Wimbledon. They assign me to a court. I go practice where they tell me to.

Now, I don't know, for some reason, I practice at Wimbledon when I'm playing my matches because I just feel like it's one locker room, you get there, put your stuff, you go practice, come back, that's where you are. When I'm not playing, I don't think I'm allowed to hit at Wimbledon anyways. You just play at Aorangi.

That's it. It's fairly simple. There's really nothing behind it. I wish sometimes the court was right next to the locker room, you don't have to walk through the crowd. I don't mind it either. The interaction also is very nice for the people. If you walk to No. 9 where I practiced on today, there's, like, many other courts that all of a sudden see a player walking by. I think it's actually quite entertaining for those fans, as well. Oh, my God, a player is walking by, has another match. Centre Court only really gets to see those players.

I think it's good that actually. If you're playing at Wimbledon, you get a chance to hit at Wimbledon. I think it's also very nice for the fans to do it.

Q. You mentioned the increased depth, the field maybe being more even.

ROGER FEDERER: The beginning?

Q. The increased depth. Why do you think that's the case? Maybe increased prize money for lower-ranked players leveling things up a bit?

ROGER FEDERER: On the men's or women's side?

Q. Whichever one. I think you talked about the men's side.

ROGER FEDERER: I think I mentioned the women's side.

I think it's the same on the men's side. Probably we have more overall professional tennis players that probably take everything even more serious on a daily basis, whereas maybe before not that they didn't take it serious, but probably not like today. Didn't have your own fitness setup, all this stuff, like the whole team, the federations. Everything has become more professional.

Naturally you would think that the depth is greater. The game has changed over the years. It's not much serve and volley going on any more. Players are adapting to what the tournament directors choose what surface speed is being played. But I think it's natural. Over time, it's going to get stronger and stronger. 20 years probably again a next step that it will be stronger, I believe.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimbledon 2018 - R4 Press Conference (MON 9 JUL)

Post by Cromar Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Wimbledon 2018 - R4 Press Conference     (vs A. Mannarino)
MON 9 Jul

Round of 16 (R4) - Center Court - 1 pm

Roger Federer Switzerland   d. Adrian Mannarino France   :   6-0, 7-5, 6-4   Match Stats

YouTube
WIMBLEDON - Published on Jul 9, 2018 (21:54)
Roger Federer 4R Press Conference

> Transcript

Roger Federer: Fourth round

WIMBLEDON
MON 9 JUL 2018

Roger Federer speaks to the media after his 6-0, 7-5, 6-4 fourth round defeat of Adrian Mannarino

Q. You haven't lost a set in this tournament since 2016. Could you speak to the difficulty of doing that over any stretch of your career. It compares to a stretch in 2005 and '6. How this compares to that?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I wouldn't know that it happened in '5 and '6. I feel like these streaks just happen. You can't plan for them anyway because one point can change the outcome of a set. If you break it down, it could be one shot really. That's not something you can always control.

Of course, if you give yourself maximum chances, you're playing well, you have super focus, then these streaks are kind of possible.

Look, I'm equally happy if I would have won all the matches in four sets. That it happened to be in straights, it helps me for the season, to save energy, it helps me to save energy for the rest of the tournament.

I don't think it's something anybody aims for, is to win every match in straight sets. It's like today, I hope I get off to a good start, go from there. If it happens, it happens. It shouldn't be, for the player or for me, a shock, and, Oh, my God, I can't believe it, I lost a set. It's part of what a tennis match is about.

Maybe for the press, maybe for the fans, Oh, wow, he lost a set. Maybe there is a vibe there. For me personally, there's not much of a change just because I lost a set.

Q. You spoke earlier about things you do to stay curious, sort of inspired on court, like sneak attacks on returns. Talk about how you're doing that these days or today.

ROGER FEDERER: To stay inspired?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: That's why I like playing on grass, I guess. There is always the occasional approach shot that the opponent has to come in because you're dragging him in, he doesn't hit and go back. Same for me. All of a sudden there's a short ball, you come in, there's passing shots, lobs, dinks and stuff. That's why I like playing on the grass.

In practice at the moment, I'm not working on anything specific. It's really about being just solid. The goal is to win matches and not to be too creative right now. That's going to happen naturally if I play well. I'm really just focused on that.

Q. Even on the rest day, I saw you getting mobbed by kids who wanted selfies with you and stuff. Everyone wants a piece of you. Does it ever, throughout your career, been overwhelming or affected you negatively?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean negative, not really. It's a lot sometimes. But, like, yesterday it's different because the majority of the people were all juniors. I was them a long, long time ago. I still remember it. I would have loved to probably also take a picture with, you know, some of the players. So from that standpoint, I also told the team, How shall we handle this? Do you want to take some pictures or tell everybody, Look, it's not the moment.

It's juniors. I'm happy to take a lot of pictures today. And maybe you do less, like today, you do hardly any pictures. So from that standpoint, goes in phases.

But it's true that sometimes I'm also tired. But I think that's why also I need breaks away from the tour sometimes, when you are maybe more in the center of attention like now. I enjoy being in the center, but then when I'm on vacation or on a training block, I'm happy I don't get swamped like this with requests for autographs and pictures.

For the time being I love it because it means they look up to me or they're excited or maybe I can inspire them, motivate them, with a little quote here and there or a picture. It's all good.

Q. Not to get ahead of ourselves, but on the final there's a potential clash with the World Cup final. Obviously England potentially could get through the semifinal and be playing at the same time as perhaps yourself on Sunday. Would you be concerned about the fact people can watch simultaneously the World Cup match, be reacting to that, while in Centre Court? Would it detract from the atmosphere?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, it's going to happen anyway, if I'm going in the final or not, the Wimbledon final will take place, and so will the World Cup final (smiling). I'm more concerned the World Cup final will have issues because the Wimbledon final is going on. They'll hear every point, Wow, Love-15, 15-30. The players are going to look up in the crowd and not understand what's going on at Wimbledon.

That's how important Wimbledon is to me and to us over here. Maybe you should ask the questions over in Russia, how they're going to feel about Wimbledon being played at the same time, so...

Q. John Isner made the second week here for the first time. He was saying one of the factors was courts playing harder and firmer, bouncing higher, which helps his serve, which he thought would also help a guy like Nadal. Have you sensed a difference in that? Do you think courts this year could favor a different group of guys than guys who succeeded here the last couple years?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, especially the first week. Because I think the first two matches are the ones that are maybe most uncomfortable for a bunch of guys. I think because it's been so hot, the ground has been so hard, there's been more bounce in it, it's been easier to move. When it's damp, wetter, more humid in the air, I think it's more tricky for, let's say, the baseliner, maybe even for a big server because it's harder for him to move, as well.

It's definitely helped a certain style of player, maybe the big servers, maybe sort of the good baseliners. But the second week I always feel like it plays different. The court is used in the back. You can move better. Then it's just a question, like, how warm is it, like what he said, the ball does bounce and go now.

I think back of the Roddick final I had against him, I couldn't break him for the longest time just because the ball was shooting through. It was really hard to break. The same with del Potro semis in the Olympics. Also felt like on a hot day it was just really hard to break, as well.

I'm sure it does help a different type of player this last week.

Q. He obviously gave you a decent challenge at the end. The first set took 16 minutes. Is there a tiny part of you when that happens when you think, this is the fourth round of Wimbledon, playing a guy in the top 30, I'm 36, is there a tiny part of you that kind of thinks, Why aren't you offering more here?

ROGER FEDERER: Not really. I'm telling myself why didn't I break the first game of the second, you know. Yeah, I mean, I told my team the other day that for me also, after all these years, it is surprising to be the No. 1 seed, in the top two rankings at 36. I didn't think that was ever going to happen, to be honest.

That has been the surprise for me, that sometimes there is a set like this against a player who is not the biggest server, it can happen. Then he showed that he is top 30 after all, he played two good sets after that.

I think it's a tough matchup for him maybe against me. I'm not sure. But, sure, I was also surprised it was that fast, that first set, especially 16 minutes, like you said. That was too fast. Shouldn't really happen, but thankfully they do for me. I probably won't have another 6-0 set this week, so I'll enjoy this one.

Q. The word 'surprise', at the level you are, you know so many things, read everything about tennis, you could be more surprised about yourself one day, what happened about yourself, inside your tennis, your mind, or your opponent?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't understand. I'm sorry.

Q. If you have more fear about yourself one day, bad day about yourself, you don't understand why, or something that your opponent is doing that day, that specific day?

ROGER FEDERER: What I'm more worried about?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: Maybe similar. I feel like it's the same. I know that my level at this stage doesn't drop under a certain level, and I also feel like I can be only surprised so much because I won't underestimate my opponent. I feel there is on both ends, you know, a feeling of, you know, how good can he play or how bad can I play, and how does that match up.

But I do believe that me, the top player, many top players, can lose against a lot of the guys, even going all the way down to 200 in the world. I feel like everybody who is within the top 250 maybe has a chance on any given day. He might not win the tournament, but he can beat you, especially in a best-of-three set match. Maybe in a best-of-five set match it takes more, because there's more margins for us. Of course, the faster the surfaces, the smaller the margins are.

If that makes sense, that's how I feel.

Q. The first set went very fast, but the second set he seemed to calm down, got pretty close. What is the dynamic in that second set? What did you think about it?

ROGER FEDERER: I was thinking that, you know, if things would have matched up maybe a little bit better, I could have had the lead earlier in the second, and maybe in the third, you know. But, you know, he did well to fight back into the match. Maybe had almost a little bit momentum even though he was down in the score.

But because I was holding my serve still somewhat comfortable, I had different options how to return him. I decided to still stick with the slice, play with variation rather than try to go too big, too soon.

I think for me really important was to find a way in the second set to find the break at the end and get two-sets-to-love lead. Then the third, things loosened up a little bit, points got shorter, and it became maybe more, how do you say, a bit more athletic again in the third, whereas the second became more endurance, which I think he likes that kind of a pattern.

But, yeah, I mean, look, he also was able to raise his level of play, then I had to do the same again because the first was almost too easy. Even though I played very well, it was not just going to be able to -- I was not going to be able to just sustain it like this. I had to adjust my game because he also played at a higher level.

I was just very happy how I played, to be honest, at the end of the day, that I was able to protect my serve, find a way to break, create opportunities. I think I can be very pleased.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimby

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Wimbledon 2018 - QF Press Conference    (vs K. Anderson)
WED 11 JUL

Quarter-Final - Court 1 - 1 pm

Kevin Anderson Wimbledon 2018 Press Conferences RSA_sm   d. Roger Federer Switzerland  :   2-6, 65-7, 7-5, 6-4, 13-11   Match Stats

YouTube
WIMBLEDON - Published on Jul 11, 2018 (17:54)
Roger Federer - Losses hurt more

> Transcript

Roger Federer: Quarter-final

WIMBLEDON
WED 11 JUL 2018

Roger Federer speaks to the media after his 6-2, 7-6(5), 5-7, 4-6, 11-13 quarter-final defeat to Kevin Anderson  

Q. Where did you feel you lost control over the match? Third set or maybe later?

ROGER FEDERER: Maybe. Honestly, I'm not sure. I guess there was definitely a moment at some point. Is it missing match points? Is it getting broken at 5-All after that? I'm not sure.

That could have been a key. Could have been a key later. There's a lot of little points here and there that always make a difference in the outcome of a match. I don't think this one naturally you can pinpoint exactly except my match points.

Q. What was going through your mind at the beginning of the fourth set having had match points?

ROGER FEDERER: I'm up two sets to one. It's all good, so... At that point I wasn't thinking of losing.

Q. Can you talk about how Kevin Anderson played? What was different about him this time?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, look, he's got a nice, big serve that he can rely heavily on. I always thought he returns well off second serves, especially if you give him the small one. He can really lean onto it. I think he did that well again today.

There's nothing really that shocked me because I've seen Kevin play many, many times in the past. Even if the matches have been maybe sometimes one-sided, I didn't lose sets against him, you always know he can pick it up, and all of a sudden you won't see breaks for some time.

I was very happy that I got off to the right start of the match, was able to take control somewhat of the game. I just don't know exactly how I couldn't create more opportunities once the third set came around. I think I had chances, I'm not sure exactly how many. But then fourth and fifth, obviously the fifth was long, that's like two sets, the fifth.

I think I had my chances, so it's disappointing. No, I mean, no doubt about it. He was consistent. He was solid. He got what he needed when he had to. Credit to him for hanging around really that long.

Q. Were you surprised that Kevin was able to stay in so many rallies and play such a strong baseline game with you? Did mental fatigue enter into it for you as that fifth set wore on?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I've seen Kevin play very well off the baseline also against me in the past. I wasn't feeling particularly well off the baseline. I couldn't really get the rallies going the way I wanted to, especially 1-2 punch wasn't working at all today. I don't know if it had something to do with the breeze, just a bad day from my side, except the first set. After that, I never really felt exactly 100%.

That has nothing to do with my opponent. It was just one of those days where you hope to get by somehow. I almost could have. I should have.

So, no, I wasn't surprised. Once I couldn't get the 1-2 punch going, once I was in the rallies, it's hard to get him moving. Like you said, he hits hard and strong.

The other thing you said?

Q. Mental fatigue for you.

ROGER FEDERER: No, I felt good actually. Sure, it's disappointing losing the next two sets after winning the first two and having match points. I've been there before. I know what kind of energy I need to bring to the fifth. I was able to bring that.

To be honest, I didn't feel mental fatigue. Now I feel horribly fatigued and just awful. It's just terrible. But that's how it goes, you know. Credit to him.

Q. When you're on the run you've been on in terms of consecutive sets, not being broken, the first time that happens, is that destabilizing and disrupting?

ROGER FEDERER: Not really. No, I talked about it a couple days ago, that it's nice when it lasts. I expected to be broken much earlier. I didn't think of it while it was happening. He had to play a great, great game to break me. That's good enough. If that's what it takes, that's all right.

Q. You kept your cool in the big points. When the points aren't going your way, is it sometimes hard to feel inside that maybe this ain't going your way, but you can pull it out somehow?

ROGER FEDERER: How was it feeling, you mean?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: Sometimes you don't feel good, and you try your best. I don't know. Sometimes you feel better, and you still try your best.

Today was one of those days. I think it went in spells a bit also, how I was able to return his serve. I had moments where I was great, I felt like I was reading his serve, other moments where I don't know where the hell I was moving to. I don't know if that was his serve. But I also have a feeling, it was a feeling of mine, you know, not getting it right.

Then off the baseline I wasn't feeling as good either as I had hoped to, but still good enough to be in there and maybe win the match. I wasn't too concerned. Even at 10-All in the fifth, it's all good. I still felt like all he needed to do was give me a few second serves, finally pick the right sides again, things could change. I wasn't - how do you say - horribly negative the whole game.

It's just not one of my best days, but they don't happen very often either. It's one of those average days you have to try to win the match, and I just couldn't get it done today. So it's disappointing.

Q. How long will it take to get over a result like that? You've only come off court. I sense you still have unfinished business here at Wimbledon for future years?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I don't know how long it's going to take me. Might take me a while. Might take me half an hour. I have no idea what it's going to be.

Yeah, of course, the goal is to come back here next year. I wouldn't call it 'unfinished business'. I felt like I did some good business here in the past already (smiling).

So I'm all right. Just disappointed now.

Q. Do you think playing on No. 1 Court affected the level of your performance, given you haven't had a chance to play on that court for three years?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't think it would have changed if I played there last year. It's not like I would have remembered exactly how it would have felt.

I don't think it really mattered, to be honest. I had my chances and blew them, so... That's my problem really.

Q. You mentioned unfinished business, not unfinished business. What is it about Wimbledon specifically that motivates you to drive yourself so hard to be here every year?

ROGER FEDERER: That maybe the losses hurt more, that you don't want to be on the loser's side. It motivates me to do extremely well here because I don't want to sit here and explain my loss. That's the worst feeling you can have as a tennis player.

But, no, honestly I think I just, you know, love being around here. It's a good vibe. We have a good time as a family. I have great memories from here. My heroes all won here. Every time I come back here, I try to be like them, so it's nice to be here.

Q. Could you feel early on that it wasn't quite working perfectly for you, even though you won the first set quite easily?

ROGER FEDERER: No, first set felt great. Reading the serve. He wasn't getting many aces. When I was on, I was making him play. From the baseline I felt like I could mix it up, play aggressive. There was a lot going on.

As the match went on, I couldn't surprise him any more. That's a bad feeling to have. It's not like it hasn't happened before. I've been in many, many matches like this.

These are the moments where you try to hold your serve, create opportunities. Maybe he's got to miss a few more than make a few more. That's going to maybe make the difference.

I couldn't come up with enough good stuff for him to miss more. I think that was the key at the end.

Q. You haven't had a lot of those bad days in Grand Slams.

ROGER FEDERER: It wasn't bad, but average. There's a lot of average. Most of them are average during the year.

Q. Could you see it at all coming in practice, previous matches, that maybe things weren't timing-wise or was it a complete surprise?

ROGER FEDERER: That it's an average performance? That doesn't come as a surprise. Those happen. Every second game is an average performance I believe. Then you have moments in the match where you rise to the occasion and play very well. But I wouldn't necessarily say I've been playing like incredible. I've been playing well.

Just today, when I needed it, I couldn't get it up. That's why it's an average performance and not a good one. So if I would have won in straight sets, then it could have been all right, you know, because I would have had a great first set, and second set was whatever it was.

So, no, I didn't see it coming. From that standpoint, I felt great in practice, good in the warmup. I'm feeling the ball well. Even now losing, I still felt like the feeling is there. It just happened to be that today wasn't the day.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Wimbledon 2018 Press Conferences

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum