Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again!

2 posters

Go down

Normal Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again!

Post by Cromar Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:53 am

Stuttgart 2018 - Pre Tournament Press Conference (June 11)

VIDEO

YouTube    myTennis - Published on Jun. 11, 2018
Pre Tournament Press Conference of Roger Federer at the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart, Germany.

TRANSCRIPT

Mercedes Cup

Thus spoke Roger Federer…

STUTTGART - 11 JUNE, 2018

On Monday, Roger Federer held a press conference on the grounds of the MercedesCup. He talked about his expectations for the ATP grass court tournament at Stuttgart’s Weissenhof, the fight for the no. 1 spot in the world rankings and the eleventh French Open title for Rafael Nadal.

How does it feel to be back? How do you see the battle for becoming no. 1?

RF: It’s a great pleasure to be here again. I have experienced some great years, even though they were not as successful as I would have wished. Two years ago I had problems with my knee and there was also a lot of rain. Last year there was the loss against Tommy. This year sure feels special because I have the chance to take back the no. 1 position in the world. Most weeks during the season you don’t talk about that because the positions are clear. But when it’s this close things obviously change. I’ve been gone for some months and now I have to find my way back step by step. Matches here are always very close affairs. There is no easy draw, thought that would be nice. I think the courts are in great shape, better than last year. I’m really excited about this week.

Which of the two Michaels would you prefer in your first match?

RF: Maybe Youzhny as I’ve got a good Head-to-Head with him. But there were some close matches. Mischa (Zverev) is always dangerous. For me, they are both pretty even and they play well on grass. That’s the most important thing: you have to like to play on this surface. It’s going to be tough because both will already have played a match here, but I’m feeling fine and it was great to practice here.

How would you rate Nadal’s triumph in Paris?

RF: Absolutely amazing. There really are only superlatives left. To win a tournament 11 times is unbelievable. I didn’t get to see a lot of the final because I was traveling to Stuttgart first and then I already practiced. He didn’t have to prove anything to anybody in Paris and still he did it again. A real champion. All the players on the tour can only take a bow before Rafa. It’s really fantastic.

Wouldn’t it be a greater challenge to take on Nadal in Paris then win Wimbledon for the umpteenth time?

RF: For me, Wimbledon still is the ne plus ultra on the tour. If I had to choose I’d always take Wimbledon. For me it’s much more than just the head-to-head against Nadal. I have a lot to think about. There’s my health and people tend to forget that I have four kids. I also need to take a break from time to time. I did it last year and it did me good. Like this, I hope to get enough energy in my battery to play the rest of the season. Of course, I’d like to have a chance to challenge for the Paris title, but maybe that’ll come up again next year or the year after. I have to think hard and long about playing the clay court season next year. I guess I will know in the fall, after the US Open how my tournament plan for next year will look like.

Did you seriously think about playing on clay this year in the last fall?

RF: Last year was a different situation. I had won Melbourne and Miami and had the feeling that I would be able to have a longer preparation for the French Open. Then I felt I should just skip it, because it didn’t make sense to go to Paris without enough practice tournaments before. My team and I then pretty quickly decided that it wouldn’t make sense for me. That was the decision. This year I wanted to know what we would do before the clay court season. I wanted to have holidays with my kids, more time to practice etc. I decided to skip the clay court season directly after Miami. I was able to get a lot of things done. The holidays were great, I was able to practice well for three months and there were no setbacks. Still, it’s strange for me to skip a Grand Slam tournament. All of my career I have played each and every Grand Slam tournament. But after my knee injury I can assess better what my body needs and that is why my decision making is different today.

Will Nadal be your strongest opponent in Wimbledon?

RF: Yes, I guess so. He’ll be in great shape for Wimbledon. Otherwise I haven’t thought too much about who could be favorite. Rafa’s won Wimbledon twice, so he’s no one trick pony. He’s become better from year to year. He’s playing more aggressive and better on fast surfaces. He’s not only the king of clay, he can play well everywhere. Then you also have Cilic, Del Potro and, I hope, Novak will come back strong. He has already shown good tennis this year. I also hope that Murray and Stan will come back. And I’ve probably forgotten one or two players now…

What about Alex Zverev? What are your expactations for Stutttgart?

RF: Yes, Alex – he’s one of those I forgot before. I think he will have a good year. He’s learned a lot from his five set matches in Paris. He’s already played great in Miami. He’s also shown how great he can play on grass. His service and his return open up all possibilities for him.
My goal is to win the tournament. But it’s always like that. Than you see the draw and how difficult it will be. So the euphoria is dialed down in favor of a sense of reality. I try to take it match for match, set for set, point for point. And that’s good! I’m really looking forward to the tournament, but there are no guarantees. The court is very good and already reminds me a lot of Wimbledon. I think it will suit me just fine.

Are the stories true that you will change your outfit from Nike to Uniqlo?

RF: Those are just rumours. What is true, and that’s no secret is that my contract with Nike has run out in March. We are negotiating right now and that’s all I have to say about it. But you will certainly be the first to hear from me, once there are news.

How did you prepare in the past weeks?

RF: I played more tennis than spend time in the gym. Everything was fine. I took some vacations – first Miami, than – after my first conditioning stint – I went to Africa for my foundation. The last month I spent practicing. I had various sparring partners who came to Switzerland and Dubai. I was very happy, we also were lucky with the weather which was better than last year. I’m feeling ready and fresh. The last weeks I spent in Switzerland.

Can you imagine a life without tennis? What makes you go on? Another record? Vanity?

RF: No, the most important thing is having fun playing tennis. Sometimes, but very rarely, I play a tournament without my family. There’s still this feeling after a victory or when you hear the fans chanting and make them happy. I also want to prove to myself and my team that I can still win a tournament or defend a title. Of course, records are also great. It would be nice to become no. 1 again and raise that record to a new level. As long as my family is ok with me playing tennis – and it seems they are, as my kids like to travel and my wife always has my back – it all just is so much fun. But obviously, the end is nearer than ever before. But I truly don’t know when it will be over. It will certainly be interesting after my career, I’m sure of that. And it will be fun. Especially with my kids. Once they go to school it’ll be more serious. Yes, I’m pretty intrigued myself. I hope, no, I’m sure that the transition will go pretty smoothly. But, of course, you can never be sure.

How big is your motivation, now that Nadal won Paris again?

RF: To be honest, I was sure he would win the French Open. So I just have to deal with a situation I knew would arise. I have to make the finals to take back the no. 1 spot. But last year I lost early, so I take it step by step now. After last year’s loss to Tommy I didn’t drop a set during the grass season. I hope I’ll find my game earlier this year.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again!

Post by Cromar Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 am

He is still thinking about playing RG, in two years from now!  Cheering

"Of course, I’d like to have a chance to challenge for the Paris title, but maybe that’ll come up again next year or the year after."
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Stuttgart 2018 (SF) - Press Conference June 16 (Saturday)

Post by Cromar Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Stuttgart 2018 (SF) - Press Conference June 16   (vs N. Kyrgios)

> Roger back to No. 1... again!

R. FEDERER Switzerland - N. Kyrgios Australia : 6-72, 6-2, 7-65

YouTube    myTennis - Published on Jun. 16, 2018
In his first Press Conference as the new #1, Roger Federer speaks about his match with Nick Kyrgios, what it feels like to be number one again and if he tries to keep it.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Stuttgart 2018 (Final) - Press Conference June 17 (Sunday)

Post by Cromar Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Stuttgart 2018 (Final) - Press Conference June 17   (vs M. Raonic)

> World No. 1 and Winner of the Mercedes Cup 2018!

R. FEDERER Switzerland - M. Raonic Canada : 6-4, 7-63

English - German

Facebook    MercedesCup was live - Published on Jun. 17, 2018

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Halle 2018 Interviews

Post by Cromar Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Halle 2018 - Pre-Tournament Interview - June 18

> Federer: 'I Am A Winner... I'm Here To Win' In Halle 2018

YouTube  ATPWorldTour - Published on Jun. 18, 2018
Roger Federer, fresh off his victory at the MercedesCup, looks ahead to his title defence at the Gerry Weber Open.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Halle 2018 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference June 18 & (R1) June 19

Post by Cromar Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 pm

> Halle 2018 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference June 18

VIDEO (English / German)

Warning: The sound at the start of the video is very low, but it goes up sharply after about 2.5 minutes. Watch your ears!

Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again! 1f3a5 Centre Court TV | GERRY WEBER OPEN - Published on 18 June 2018
Press Conference with Roger Federer before the start of the tournament.

> Halle 2018 (R1) - Press Conference June 19   (vs A. Bedene)

Round of 32 - Center Court - 1 pm

ROGER FEDERER  Switzerland   d. Aljaž Bedene Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again! EoYnHnSwIqfFIeAoWwLEIg_24x24 (SLO) : 6-3, 6-4   Match Stats

VIDEO (English / German)

Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again! 1f3a5 Centre Court TV | GERRY WEBER OPEN - Published on 19 June 2018
Press Conference with Roger Federer after his first win.

Mercedes Cup
June 19, 2018

Interview with Roger Federer
Roger Federer

Could you just give us an instant analysis of the match today and your next opponent?

I think I got out of the blocks well. I felt good right away. You know, it’s a bit of an easier court to play here in Halle than last week in Stuttgart. It’ a bit harder, so the ball bounces up a bit more. So, I felt like it was nicely in my strike zone and I was connecting well on the return right away and being able to also read maybe better the serve quite well and then after a while that kind of went away. But I had a solid first set and then I was just trying to figure out how to break him and after the one break, the crucial one, I was able to hold serve all the way. So, I think I’m very happy on my serving side and from the baseline for a first round having had hardly any play on these courts I'm very happy actually. And Benoit Paire, I played him a couple of times.

Five times.

Five times already? Jeez. So, I’ve played him five times and I enjoy playing him. He has a wonderful backhand, he also likes to come to the net. I’m not sure I have played him on grass before but sure it should be a tough match.

Roger, is it still possible that you will stay with Nike? How are the plans?

No plans to talk to you about it (laughs).

Are the negotiations going on?

Look, I answered the question last week and I explained that my contract ran out back in March. So, naturally there are a lot of talks going on and there is nothing really I have to add to it. And when the time is right and there is something to say I will. But until then I won’t really enjoy talking this conversation to be honest. Not that there is a problem but it is just one of these situations you wished it was resolved already a long time ago.

Rafa is in Mallorca this week training for Wimbledon. What are the positives or negatives that he is not playing in Queens and do you think he is going to be one of the rivals for Wimbledon?

Yes, I think he is one of the big favourites to win there, regardless if he plays Queens or not I think the key for him is going to be the early rounds in Wimbledon. There is always a few difficult first-round draws as usual. But it is a big draw, a lot of players, anything can happen. And I think – like for any top guy – I think the first two rounds at Wimbledon are very important because the grass and the courts play so different to anywhere else in the world. So, that’s the key there. Look I’m sure he’s coming with confidence, he’s had an incredible clay court stretch and if he’s practicing already that means he’s healthy. When Rafa is healthy anything is possible for him. So, I think he’s looking very good for Wimbledon.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Halle 2018 (R2) - Press Conference June 21 (Thursday)

Post by Cromar Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Halle 2018 (R2) - Press Conference June 21   (vs B. Paire)

Round of 16 - Center Court - 3rd day match (4 pm)

ROGER FEDERER   Switzerland   d. Benoit Paire France : 6-3, 3-6, 7-67   Match Stats

VIDEO (English / German)

Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again! 1f3a5 Centre Court TV | GERRY WEBER OPEN - Published on 21 June 2018
Press Conference with Roger Federer after his narrow victory.

Mercedes Cup
June 21, 2018

Roger Federer

It was pretty tight. How did you work your way out of it?

I mean you just try to get off to a good start in the breaker, you know, try to hold your ground, try to stay with him whatever happens, try to take the right decisions you know as you go along the way but you also need a little bit of luck I guess, you know. I felt there was a … it was a tough match, I played at a good level actually. I think also he served well and had a good mix and a good variety. It was hard to break. So, naturally it was always going to be tight. And at the end it was just extremely close. So, I’m fortunate to have made it today.

So, how important is a positive mind-set, especially on the match point, to go for your shot instead of waiting for mistakes, risking?

I mean it was not blind risk, so it was controlled but I was trying to sometimes play controlled and it didn’t work as well. So, you need a bit of luck, I mean not luck but the right type of commitment, the right type of ball, the right reaction and when you hit it and let it go, instead it lands 20 cm in and not 10 cm out and those outcomes you cannot always control. But, look, I think I created quite a few opportunities. Maybe a few more then he did overall, especially on the return games and I was maybe a bit tentative at times you know, but I think it was also because of the way he was playing and serving and all that stuff. So, the only thing that I can say is that maybe it was a bit disappointing how I served in the second set. You know, one game I got broken the first one which was a bad service game and the second one I got broken I was frustrated I guess and that’s not allowed to happen. So, I hope I can clean that up for the next round. But other than that for most of the match I was actually quite pleases. So, it’s not a bad match for me.

When you see your opponent being upset, breaking his racket, does that do something to your play?

No. I mean I guess it’s better if he doesn’t do it but I don’t really take much from it. I anyway check out my opponent very little. You know, I turn around very quickly to focus on my next point and on my relaxation mode if you like. I hear more the roar than anything else, then maybe I quickly have a glance and I see maybe the racket out of his hand. But, at the end of the day, as long as he doesn’t destroy the court, it’s all good.

I am curious if last week’s and this second-round match gave you a little confidence?

The good thing about matches like these, because I lost plenty of matches also having had match point, you know, it’s a good feeling to win these regardless of when that happens in the season. But I think because I haven’t played it really allows me to play a lot of points under a lot of pressure, because every service game on in the third set I believe, you know, being in the third set again was a good feeling, then every service game from 4 all it really [inaudible] a little bit and then obviously every point in the breaker. You know you just feel different as you approach the baseline to serve or you stand there to return you know everything will make a difference and it’s good for me to go through these emotional feelings than, let’s say I came back and every match was straightforward. Then, all of a sudden when the big hard core match came around maybe I’m not ready. So, I feel like this I’m ready for tight matches. Of course, I prefer to win them easier if possible. But I think I can take a lot of positives away from a hard-fought match, especially also confidence and seeing fitness wise also I’m right there, it’s not a problem and that’s good to know.

Last year, your intensity on grass was Stuttgart, Halle, Wimbledon. This year you have already played the number of matches of the last year and you are going to play more. Are you afraid of the overload of matches?

It depends how it goes tomorrow. You know if every match is going to finish 7-6 in the third now it makes a difference than losing 2 and 2 tomorrow. I hope I have a problem that I’m going to play a lot of tennis this week-end and then honestly I have a very light schedule ahead of Wimbledon. I have hardly anything going on in terms of press and sponsors. As you know I know the importance of Wimbledon, I know how much down-time I need before Wimbledon and because I knew my schedule with Stuttgart and Halle could be intense I try to minimum. I'm really focused on practice and rest. So, actually in actual fact I don’t believe it’s going to be a problem unless I would be carrying an injury and am playing through injury which I’m not doing right now. So, I’m actually not too worried. The only hope I have is to stay injury free throughout this week and then anyway, regardless of how I’m going to play here, I’m going to pace myself next week.

Does today’s match compare to any other second-round match you played?

Here?

Yes, in Halle?

I don’t know my second-round matches from the last fifteen years but I do remember almost losing some, there is a Youzhny match, there is a Rochus match, there were quite a few I feel. I think luck has often gone on my side here in this tournament. I don’t know if it is crowd support, the feeling I get, losing on grass is harder for me than maybe on other surfaces. I’m not sure what it is. Were you thinking of one particular one?

No.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Halle 2018 (SF) - Interview & Presser - Saturday, June 23

Post by Cromar Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:21 pm

Halle 2018 (SF) - Post-match Interview - June 23   (vs Denis Kudla)

> Federer Reflects On Kudla Victory

R. FEDERER Switzerland - D. Kudla USA : 7-61, 7-5

YouTube  ATPWorldTour - Published on Jun. 23, 2018
Watch as Roger Federer discusses his semi-final victory over Denis Kudla at the Gerry Weber Open and looks ahead to his 12th final at the event.

Halle 2018 (SF) - Press Conference June 23   (vs D. Kudla)

Semi-Final - Center Court - 11:30 am

ROGER FEDERER   Switzerland   d. Denis Kudla   USA : 7-61, 7-5   Match Stats

VIDEO (English / German)

Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again! 1f3a5 Centre Court TV | GERRY WEBER OPEN - Published on 23 June 2018
Press Conference with Roger Federer after reaching the Final.

Mercedes Cup
June 23, 2018

Roger Federer

How difficult was it to play the match? How hard did you have to work? 

It was different today than it was yesterday, even though the score was the same. It was more baseline, you know, than serve and volley yesterday from the opponent. It was a pity I could not maintain the break advantage I created in the first game, that was my big goal this morning to come out of the blocks fast and good and protect the lead, I couldn’t do that. And then honestly I think we both went on a pretty good role of not dropping serves anymore. It was just hard to break for a while and I played a good breaker again like yesterday. I think that was crucial. I’ve been very successful playing breakers here in Halle in the last years and then Kudla had a good chance in the second when he had 0-30. So, I think that was a big hold for me and key to win that second set. So, I’m actually very happy, you know, it’s not easy to play here. It plays pretty quick, especially when you serve well. I already felt that throughout the whole week. So, I’m happy I found a way again to win today. 

In terms of your performance how happy are you now and looking forward also to Wimbledon? If you would like to do an outer critic what is going well and if you still have to fine tune some aspects? 

I’m very happy. Look, I’ve never played back to back finals on grass like this in pre-leading up events before Wimbledon. So, this is a first for me. I’m very happy having won Stuttgart and now making another finals here in Halle is great. I would have taken that any day a month ago. So, the comeback has been rather successful for me. I don’t have time to change anything for tomorrow. So, I’ll just go in tomorrow. I’m not going to hit the practice courts this afternoon. I’m just going to warm up really well tomorrow so I’m ready for a tough finals against Bautista Agut or Coric and I just hope I can find my best game. Like I announced early in the week you usually start playing your best towards the end. So, I’m very hopeful that tomorrow I’m going to play a good finals.

Obviously you are happy with the results but there are a lot of people who are wondering maybe something is bothering you on the court. Are there other things that are getting in the way of your focus and concentration? 

No, very clearly no, there is nothing and even if there was I was not going to tell you (laughs). This is very clear because I don’t want to help you out and I don’t want to help my opponents out but I am very happy in my life, I’m very much at peace. Hitting a ball out of the stadium for me is like in practice happens every other day. So, this doesn’t happen very much on live TV but I actually think it’s quite funny and quite comical and it makes me smile on the inside and it gives us something else to talk about as well rather than only talking about break points and stuff. No, but it’s a tough court. There is a lot of bad bounces here. So you can’t be frustrated but I think in the second set I was able to shake that off and just tell myself, ‘just don’t get too mad.’ You know, it’s going to happen, it happened to him, too, the last game 0-15, I hit a return to the baseline, he can’t move to it because the ball basically bounced, I don’t know, sideways and he’s down 0-30 instead of maybe going 15 all. So, is he going to complain, is he disappointed? Yes, he is. But he’s not going to show it and I tried to do the same going forward here. So, no, I’m very happy. Look, I just really want to do well. I really want to win. So, I have a winner mentality and for that sometimes I get a bit disappointed or frustrated but I’m very happy like I explained, very positive. I had a great run, couldn’t be happier right now. So, everything’s good really.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Halle 2018 (Final) - Press Conference June 24 (Sunday)

Post by ph∞be Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:33 pm

And here is the last one from Halle:

Halle 2018 (Final) - Press Conference June 24   (vs B. Coric)

Final - Center Court - 1 pm

BORNA CORIC   Serbia   d.  Roger Federer   Switzerland   : 7-66, 3-6, 6-3   Match Stats

VIDEO (English / German)

Stuttgart & Halle 2018 Press Conferences - No 1 again! 1f3a5 Centre Court TV | GERRY WEBER OPEN - Published on 24 June 2018
Press Conference with Roger Federer after the Final.

Mercedes Cup
June 24, 2018

Roger Federer

Roger, how do you analyse what went wrong today?

I mean, what went wrong? That is a weird question but no problem I get it. When you lose always something is wrong I guess. But, no, I mean look it was a good week for me. I think I played alright. I can definitely play better. But for the most part you play as good as you can and, you know, the conditions were cold, so it clearly played a bit different than in warm weather. But I thought today it was decided like how it is often the one who wins the bigger points wins the match. And I think the key maybe in hindsight was trying to make that first-set tiebreaker. I had more chances throughout the set, I had chances at 6-4 I think in the breaker and I just feel that somehow I should try to win it or should have won it. I didn’t so it cost my maybe dearly at some point in the third set. But, you know, credit to him to play really really quality tennis at the very end of that first set and then, you know, in the third as well he never really dropped his level and that was it. So, it was an unfortunate match for me but credit to Borna to really come out and play a tough match today.

Looking forward to Wimbledon, sometimes is it a relief? I know you obviously want to win, but is it a relief sometimes to go to the next tournament with less pressure on you, less expectation that you are going to beat everybody?

What’s the relief?

Looking forward whether it takes the pressure off of you?

To have lost today?

Yes, as opposed to everyone expects you to win every match?

No, no, no, I prefer to win, always.

I figured that.

There you go, there you have it. Nothing new. No, look winning is always good. Losing should hurt and it does a little bit because I actually thought I played maybe my best match of the week today. You know I actually wasn’t playing badly, it just didn’t go my way. So, it’s a bit unfortunate there. But, I’m definitely going to leave with my head high, thinking it’s been a good run, Stuttgart and here and I’m definitely looking forward to some recovery time now next week and just some easy preparation and all that and just, you know, really going to love going to Wimbledon. And being the defending champion always creates pressure. So regardless of whether I won or lost here I will be one of the favourites there. But all of that stuff doesn’t matter I just really need to make sure I play great tennis from the get-go and hopefully I can do that there again.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:18 am

I have added the Press Conference Videos (6) for all the Halle matches, and pre-tournament, to the above posts. Mainly for the record, but maybe someone may still be interested in viewing them. Smile
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum