Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open 2018 Press Conferences

3 posters

Go down

Normal US Open 2018 Press Conferences

Post by Cromar Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 am

US OPEN 2018 - R1 Press Conference (vs Y. Nishioka)
TUE Aug 28, 2018

Round 1 - Arthur Ashe Stadium - 7 pm

Roger Federer   Switzerland   d. Yoshihito Nishioka   Japan   :    62 62 64   Match Stats

> Interview: Roger Federer, Round 1

Q 1. - Why the all-black racquet: "Just a question of color/look... goes well with the US Open".  Giggle  
Q 3. - Roger explains his comments about retiring during the On-court Interview: "Strickly a joke!"  Happy  

> Transcript

US OPEN

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Roger Federer

Press Conference

R. FEDERER / Y. Nishioka
6-2, 6-2, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

1 - Q. You switched back through the summer, you were playing with a black and white racquet, now an all black one. Just a paint job?

ROGER FEDERER:
No, same like the old one. I just felt like I wanted to have that one again. Played so well with it. Even though the black and white one also was great, and I'll switch back to it probably after the Laver Cup, because I have something different in the works for the Laver Cup, but I don't know, I just felt like black for the US Open at night, just felt like the right thing to do. I can't explain.

2 - Q. Can't help but notice so many of your fans wearing the RF logo. Since the brand change, you haven't been able to wear it. Has that been resolved yet?

ROGER FEDERER:
Down the road maybe. For the moment, no, not yet. It was never going to happen overnight. We have to speak. I think Tony's got meetings here as well just to see what's up.

Obviously I'm aware that the fans want it. I would love it. There is a process you have to go through. It's all good, you know. I hope time will solve that problem, if it is one. For me it's okay.

3 - Q. On court we were a little surprised to hear you say the word 'retire' even though you said 'not yet.' Usually don't hear that from you. Can you explain your thinking?

ROGER FEDERER:
That was meaning like I never lost a first-round match here at the Open. I won all my 18s. You don't want that to happen next year. I said maybe I could retire now, because I protect my 18 first-run wins here. That's what I meant with it. It's a total joke, yes.

So please don't read into it. Don't even write that word (smiling).

4 - Q. On TV you referred to your legs. Analysts also, when talking about your game, talk about your hands, wrist, footwork, your vision. As a player, aside from your mind, what part of your body is really the key to your game and distinguishes you?

ROGER FEDERER:
Maybe my feet. I don't know. I feel like I have quick feet. I need to be explosive. Anticipation, all comes through the feet. Worked very hard at it, as well, with my fitness coach.

Maybe some of it is also racquet control, the feel, understanding, anticipation, all that stuff. Maybe the feet is something I always felt like was really important, yeah.

5 - Q. You've spoken about the butterflies and everything. You've won this tournament five times. Does starting the US Open ever get old?

ROGER FEDERER:
Thankfully I wasn't too nervous tonight. I felt good. I felt like I had a good preparation week. No hiccups there. I think that settles my nerves there.

When you do walk out onto Arthur Ashe, you feel like people are there to see the show, enjoy themselves. Sure, they come for the tennis, but it's also sort of a bucket list, wanting to be there.

So, yeah, there's pressure. But, no, never gets old. I love coming to play here. It's been so many years now. So it's great to have played also a good first round against an entertaining first-round opponent. I'm very pleased to be back in New York, of course.

6 - Q. Uniqlo first time here. Everything matched exactly the right shade of red. How have you achieved that with different manufacturers?

ROGER FEDERER:
How do you do that? There is a book around the world known with colors. If you say, I want that type of red, everybody knows what red you're talking about.

We had asked Nike if they could do that type of red for the shoes, different types of shoes. That was it. Same with the clothes. Obviously clothes lead to shoes at this point. We'll see what happens with the shoes in the future.

I'm happy it all matches up.

7 - Q. Does the red have a name?

ROGER FEDERER:
I'm actually not sure what the color of the red is. But I like it. It's a different type of red. I actually haven't worn it like this.

8 - Q. Was this match an example of experience over youth in tennis?

ROGER FEDERER:
I think it definitely helps having played in heat a lot. It helped me to play a lot of matches out on Arthur Ashe. I think I definitely have an experience advantage there, no doubt about it.

I don't know how nervous he was going in. But I've been in tough matches against left-handed players over the years, like Rafa. I know what left-handed players can do.

Yeah, so maybe a bit of that. But at the end of the day the aura, it doesn't win you the match every time. You have to go out there, you have to work hard. I just finally stopped sweating. I also put in a lot of effort. You have to bring it every single time.

I say you're only as good as your next match. I try to live by that mantra a little bit. Then again today I didn't know how really good Nishioka was. I wanted to play well at the beginning of each set. I was able to break the beginning of each set, cruise after that. I was very happy.

9 - Q. How different is the pace of the court this year and what effect do you think it will have on your fortunes?

ROGER FEDERER:
I feel it plays very slow, to be honest. Probably center court is maybe even a bit faster than some of the outside courts. Armstrong, from I what heard, I feel like the P courts they play, have a lot of bounce in them as well. I remember when I was here before Cincy, I came to practice here in New York, and I also combined it with the balls we played at Cincy, but the bounce was incredible. I feel like it's a very bouncy court. Obviously at nighttime it goes slower.

Most of the big matches will be played at night here, especially down the stretch. So I feel like you can really construct the point nicely. If you play attacking tennis, you have to do it smartly. Like in Cincinnati, you can't outright play aggressive tennis and try to suffocate your opponent.

This, to me, seems the slowest US Open we've seen in years. That's my opinion there, which I don't think necessarily is a bad thing. Usually it helps the top guys, the slower it is, to be honest.

10 - Q. When you were first starting your comeback in 2017, you talked about just to play free. Has that been tougher recently?

ROGER FEDERER:
Tough when?

11 - Q. Has it been tougher to play free more recently?

ROGER FEDERER:
Yes, it is hard to do, play free, just every time. You do care about the outcome of the match. You do care about each and every point. Not the same, like a breakpoint is not the same importance like a 40-Love point. Sometimes you don't play as good in a first round. Sometimes, like in Cincinnati, you have days where you're happy to make shots. Then you have other days, like in other finals, because you're playing so good, you're like, In which corner shall I put it tonight?

It also varies on how you're feeling. But I think playing free is meaning, for me anyhow, to play without fear, like there to take chances, but probably controlled aggression, I'd like to call it. Not play too safe, but at the same time you don't want to be silly and play sort of with no plan. It always has to have a plan with it.

I think it's especially important when you're actually feeling good, the score is tight, for me is to remind myself then in that very moment how exactly I want to play and not to freeze and not to feel too much pressure at that moment.

I feel like anything that comes here, anyway, I should try to see it as a bonus, but it's easier said than done because, like I said, I do care about the outcome of the match.

12 - Q. The performance analysts, video analysts, can you share some confidential info for us, not so confidential, how it works in your team, who is running the video analysis, off-week, off-season, Severin or Ivan doing it, together going to the video room? And when you started this, the importance of the video analysis, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, you have an archive about other players?

ROGER FEDERER:
You sound like you know what we're doing (laughter). I don't do video analysis, but it sounded good, the question.

I used to watch a lot of matches when I was younger of myself so I could understand my technique from a TV angle, seeing my own game. I think that helped me early on, to watch my matches and feel like I don't like this maybe shot about my game, or I don't like this technique about my game, I don't like this decision-making in that very moment. I think it helped me in the beginning.

Then you have kids. You start watching less. You're running around with them. I still remind myself sometimes, just for myself. I did that with Nishioka, too. I wanted to see some of his matches, what he's done, just to get a better idea of what do I see, what do I feel. I absorb all the information I get from Severin and Ivan about tactical, about my opponent, but obviously about my own game.

Very often we try to create a tactic that is based on my own tactics on how they think I should play, because I'm a very active player. I'm not so reactive maybe like other players are. So I think that helps me.

Then obviously we live in a world which has more statistics than ever before. It's also a question of how do you absorb all the information you get as a player and as a coach, what is important, what can you use, what shouldn't you use. It can also fill up your brain so much that then after that you're not free anymore or you don't feel so good anymore if you know the guy serves 52% to the backhand on breakpoint, is that help you? Are you going to cover the backhand now or it doesn't matter? You just go with the flow, go with the feel.

I think an overall tactic by my coach is clearly helpful, just to stay the course in more difficult moments.

13 - Q. You take the game as intellectually and scientifically as anyone out there. Without giving out any secrets, anything you do with technology of the string selection, the tension to handle how the ball comes off in this weather?

ROGER FEDERER:
I mean, I don't think I would give a very different answer than most of the guys you ask. I think the hotter the conditions, the tighter you string your racquets. Especially daytime, the ball flies a lot, the ball bounces more.

But having a tighter string pattern, string job, you will be able to control the ball more. Then the slower the conditions, the looser you could maybe string. That's how I do it. I've played with the same string tensions for the entire week now. Just because it was hotter today, I actually didn't change my string job, but it's because probably I played at night, as well.

If I played a day match, maybe my next round against Benoit Paire, I might add a couple tighter string jobs just to be protected on that side as well. If the ball is flying off my racquet too much, I feel like I don't have control over the ball, I have a couple of tighter string jobs in my racquet bag. It's also a feel thing a little bit. I don't think around too much.

Once the tournament starts, I pretty much say stay in a range of string tension. I don't move around much anymore.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Rev #1 by #168 at 2018-08-29 02:30:00 GMT

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal US Open 2018 - R2 Press Conference (Aug 30)

Post by Cromar Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:32 am

US OPEN 2018 - R2 Press Conference (vs B. Paire)
THU Aug 30, 2018

Round 2 - Arthur Ashe Stadium - 3 pm

Roger Federer   Switzerland   d. Benoit Paire   France   :   7-5, 6-4, 6-4   Match Stats

> Interview: Roger Federer, Round 2

> Transcript

US OPEN

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Roger Federer

Press Conference

R. FEDERER / B. Paire
7-5, 6-4, 6-4

Q. Assess your play today.

ROGER FEDERER
: I think it was a bit sort of up and down maybe. I think it's always tricky against Benoit, because I think one another, there's a lot of tactics going on. Never quite the same point. Sometimes he plays very deep in the court, then he plays up in the court. That's maybe why you draw errors out of each other rather than winners at the end. The match maybe doesn't look at good. Plus he covers the court very well. Sometimes you have a tendency to overplay, as well.

But overall I'm happy. I think it was not a bad performance by any means by me. I can be pleased, so it's all good.

Q. Have you changed your approach this year at all in terms of training from Wimbledon on?

ROGER FEDERER
: From Wimbledon to here?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER
: Compared to last year?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER
: Well, I mean, not that much. I think it all depends on how the grass court season, how tough it was. This year, the grass court, in some ways, season was almost tougher than last year's, even though I ended up winning Wimbledon and Halle. Did I win Halle? I forgot (smiling). I did.

So this year playing a lot of matches leading into the grass, plus the tough five-setter I had against Anderson, it takes more out of you than going straight sets at Wimbledon. I didn't want to get hurt coming into the Open. So less was more for me this year.

I think also knowing ahead of time for the clay court season that I was not going to play, I could plan that schedule also much better.

I think I could have played obviously Toronto no problem, but I was just worried it was going to be a bit too much tennis.

Honestly, I also have a family which I always want to take care of, want to spend some quality time with. I don't want to travel throughout the globe all the time and just play, play, play.

It also depends on what the coaches say, fitness coach says. My feeling tells me. What Mirka also feels and thinks.

Q. Over the last several years, you've heard the R word, retirement, over and over again from tons of people. How has your approach to hearing that and thinking about it evolved since the first time you heard it?

ROGER FEDERER
: Well, it's been nine years, so I don't know what to tell you. In the beginning, you're like, What? It can't be true. Eventually, Okay, fine I get it, they're allowed to ask it. Then you get to a point where everybody has to ask it because it could be that I would be the one in that very moment to reveal that this might be it. Then the journalist has to do their job and ask me that question. Almost every interview I do, they have to ask me the question, so...

The thing is maybe I can tell you guys, I will not tell it to one journalist in that one moment. I don't think I'm like that. I would first check with my family. If the team and everybody thinks that this is it now, and I feel it's truly that, I wouldn't probably tell it to that one journalist just it happened I was doing that interview that day.

It's been in phases. Sometimes you wonder why they ask you again because do they not hear what I said yesterday? Do they not listen to what I said two months ago?

At this point I take it with a smile and I understand that everybody is just doing their job, I guess.

Q. You play Nick Kyrgios next. John McEnroe Monday night asked you if you were the guy to pull him aside and talk some sense into him. You said that's not your role. Why do you feel that's not your place? You mentioned it was almost an insulting question to Nick, that he needs someone to take him aside.

ROGER FEDERER
: That's what John thought. I don't know what to tell you. I think a player can always ask any other player for advice, then it's the player's choice -- the other player's choice to give advice or not. It doesn't necessarily have to be an older guy or anything. It could be just I'm playing Nick tomorrow, I can ask Robin Haase, What do you think about how Nick plays? Yesterday I practiced with somebody who asked me, What do you think about my game? I give advice.

I think we do it all the time as players. In Nick's situation, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure he asks around. He's a clever guy. He knows what he needs to do to get to winning ways. He's won his two matches here, so things are going well for him. I think it's more of a hypothetical question which only stirs up stuff that we shouldn't be talking about.

Q. Three matches versus Kyrgios ended 7-6 in the third set. Are you hoping the umpire will not come down from his chair if Kyrgios is not trying his best and he's down one set and one break, like it happened today?

ROGER FEDERER
: That won't happen.

Q. What do you mean?

ROGER FEDERER
: You think it's going to happen again?

Q. I'm asking.

ROGER FEDERER
: I'm asking you the question. Do you think it's going to happen again?

Q. I don't think it will.

ROGER FEDERER
: Exactly, there you go (smiling).

Q. You understood my question?

ROGER FEDERER
: I understood your question. You understand my response? It will not happen twice in a row.

Q. What do you think about what happened today?

ROGER FEDERER
: It's not the umpire's role to go down from the chair. But I get what he was trying to do. He behaves the way he behaves. You as an umpire take a decision on the chair, do you like it or don't you like it. But you don't go and speak like that, in my opinion.

I don't know what he said. I don't care what he said. It was not just about How are you feeling? Oh, I'm not feeling so well. Go back up to the chair. He was there for too long. It's a conversation. Conversations can change your mindset. It can be a physio, a doctor, an umpire for that matter.

That's why it won't happen again. I think everybody knows that.

Q. Another hypothetical.

ROGER FEDERER
: Love those (smiling).

Q. The Roger Federer sitting here right now plays the Roger Federer who won the 2008 US Open, who would you give the edge to and why?

ROGER FEDERER
: Well, I really hope that this guy would win today just because I feel like I've improved many things over the years. I'm a more complete player than I was back then. I feel like the game has evolved, as well. Serving bigger. I don't know. It's just a different game today.

I always feel the next generation is always better than the past one, yeah.

Q. When Nick a little while ago was asked about what your greatest strength was as a player, he said your return of serve slice. No other player has a shot like that. Without that, you would not be where you are. Could you comment on that.

ROGER FEDERER
: Yeah, I mean, thanks for the compliment. I don't know. I still feel like probably other shots have won me my tournaments than my backhand slice return. But it's part of an entire game that I have. It just came natural, I guess. It's also parts of maybe reading serves, reading service motions, reading ball tosses, having an idea where the guy is going to go, and then when I'm on the ball making it time and time again.

Again, I think every player feels different about certain opponents. Me also, I read the different serves differently, yeah.

Q. When you train to go into all these tournaments, do you do anything different to prepare for the heat than you would do ordinarily? And what is your favorite cold drink?

ROGER FEDERER
: Favorite cold drink?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER
: Okay. It's very connected, I like it (smiling).

When it's hot, I like to drink cold water.

This year I came really early to New York to prepare before Cincinnati because I felt like it's maybe one of these years where it could be hot. I had the plan to go to Dubai first, where it's extremely hot. I didn't want to be away from the family. I changed plans. Said, Let's go early to America and prepare over here in the conditions that I'm actually going to see during the Open.

I think there is no substitute for playing in humidity or in heat. You just got to do it. If you train in the cold all the time, all of a sudden it hits you, the humidity and heat. You're just not ready. I don't care how fit you are, what you're used to, the humidity can really get to you. I think that was a good choice.

In terms of a cold drink? I like cold sparkling water. I like a nice glass of champagne. Yeah, I like that, a nice drink. I don't know. A lot of cold drinks, yes. It's got to be cold. I don't like warm drinks, let's put it that way.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: US Open 2018 Press Conferences

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Me, too! I still can't believe how the umpire "coaching" was misrepresented by officials. In fact, they put out a lie about it. This hurts the USO's reputation. I think they must do some correction.
Layhani needs a reminder of his role. He was totally out of bounds, and he is very experienced. Imagine if that had happened to some other top ranked player.
Sorry to write about this incident, but because there was deceit, and because not just a match but a tournament can be affected, it is upsetting.
Roger's presser was rather enjoyable. He is always quite forthcoming and honest. Come on, Roger, now you really can see what's what!!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:57 pm

Totally agree HoTM, the USTA glossed over this and basically lied about what happened.  Lahyani absolutely 'coached' Kyrgios.  It was shocking actually.  He should have just scolded him from the chair about his effort, not got down and get right in front of him and give him a 'pep talk'.  

It was so completely unfair to Herbert.  Now maybe Kyrgios would have turned his game around on his own, but we'll never know.  Lahyani absolutely affected the outcome of that match.  At a minimum, Lahyani should be barred from officiating any more matches at this event.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:01 pm

There should be some sign that this is not permissible behaviour. A time limited restriction, such as the one you suggested, sounds ideal
I always liked Lahyani, but he knows this is not to be done.It's for offcourt talk, if that's what he wanted. Now he affected that match, and who knows, perhaps the tournament.
This is not over yet, though, although they would have liked to be done with it.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:06 pm

^^You know, on three occasions Roger lost in a final here. Djokovic should never have won. He should have been fined when he turned his back on Roger to gesticulate and berate the crowd who were cheering for Roger. That disrupted things, and also, broke the focus, and I doubt if Roger had enough time to set himself up when Djoke served suddenly.
Then there was Cilic and del Potro. In one case, Jake Garner, the umpire, evidently made or didn't make the right calls, and Roger didn't like it. An exchange ensued. Del Potro was taking a long time, and it is the umpire's job to do something. And there might have been coaching involved, in one or both instances. But for sure, out of these three matches, Roger should have won.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Normal US Open 2018 - R3 Press Conference (Sep 1)

Post by Cromar Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:58 am

US OPEN 2018 - R3 Press Conference (vs N. Kyrgios)
SAT Sep 1, 2018

Round 3 - Arthur Ashe Stadium - 2:15 pm

Roger Federer   Switzerland   d. Nick Kyrgios   Australia   :   6-4, 6-1, 7-5   Match Stats

> Interview: Roger Federer, Round 3

Roger Federer: “You Don’t Get The Opportunity To Hit Around The Net Post Very Often”

> Transcript

US OPEN

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Roger Federer

Press Conference

R. FEDERER/N. Kyrgios
6-4, 6-1, 7-5

Q. You seemed to up your game considerably in the second set after the first set. Can you talk us through that.

ROGER FEDERER:
I think it was probably a combination of the sun being gone, always plays into how good you see the ball and how you can feel, and obviously the beginning of the match can be rocky sometimes, and then I think with the one-set lead, you also do loosen up a bit. I think it was a combination of those three things.

Q. When you look across the net at him, do you see a spectacularly, unpredictable guy or a guy who is maybe not as professional as he should be, pulling his stuff together and maybe not getting the results he might otherwise?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, when I'm playing, I feel like unpredictable player with an enormous serve, who can just turn it on whenever he wants to do it. That changes your mindset a little bit as a player, as a top player, that all of a sudden, you feel like you have to be the consistent guy, you know, rather than you being the flashy guy, just because he has a tendency to throw in the odd shot that you just don't normally see on the tour like that.

Q. Flashier stretch in the third set, around-the-net-and-post shot. Do you think he was trying to make highlight reel points? Did he set you up for some of those shots?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, I was thinking about it while he was doing it, you know. Other guys play the shot you're supposed to hit, and then if you get beat, you're, like, Maybe I should have hit Nick's shot.

Nick goes the other way around. He hits that shot, but then if he doesn't win that point, maybe he tells himself, Well, maybe I should have hit a normal shot. It just goes the other way around. And he's very good at doing these shots, too.

Clearly at 40-15, he should have hit a normal forehand in the open court, and he chooses to go for sort of the dropshot, which at the end cost him the match.

So clearly when you play that way and you lose, it's always, like, you feel like he's so much to blame, but that's just how he plays.

Yeah, that's why we go back to being super consistent, make him hit that one extra ball, because when you play like this, it can also work against you. Rather than someone just going for it, you have a tendency to play safe, as well, which can be an advantage for him.

But today I think he didn't come up with the goods when he really had to, and I was good, I think, by making him hit that extra shot. Things worked well for me today.

Q. These flashy spectacular shots may not win slams, but they are fun and fans love them. You hit that great overhead in Italy years ago off of Roddick's overhead, I imagine you recall it.

ROGER FEDERER:
In Basel.

Q. Basel.

ROGER FEDERER:
Yeah, homeland. I remember (smiling). It was not Italy. I can tell you that.

Q. Sorry for that.

ROGER FEDERER:
No problem. I was able to plug Switzerland, so it's all good.

Q. What do you think your greatest spectacular shots have been in your career? Was that one up there with them?

ROGER FEDERER:
Yeah, I mean, it was definitely one of the more unique ones. Like I explained on court, you don't get an opportunity to hit around the net post very often, because in practice, you -- I mean, you can't really train them. The net is out further and the court is more narrow, so for a shot like this to happen in a practice, you will be running into a fence and you will hit it into the net.

So these shots can only really happen on a big court where you play with the single posts in the doubles alley.

I have hit a few throughout my career, and, sure, they are always fun, just because sometimes you can sort of aim for them it because you realize you have an option more, which just never have. As you're hitting it, you're, like, Oh, I can just shove it down the line and just flat. That's what happened today.

I definitely think it was a special one, no doubt about it. I do believe the smash off the smash against Roddick was special just because it was way back in the court, as well. And then there was one more in Dubai against Agassi on break point. I was able to flick a ball. I still don't know how I did it today. It went for a lob over him. I don't know. It was just a massive point on top of it, and it was against Andre.

And then the one through the legs here against Novak, just because of the magnitude of the shot, as well. I think it was 6-5, Love-30, it was just also a big-time moment in the game, which obviously always matters, as well.

Q. What do you most want other players to learn from the way you conduct yourself?

ROGER FEDERER:
I think to play fair and play tough, you know. You know, I don't know. I hope they look to me or parents look to me and think that they will be happy that maybe their son would behave like this on a tennis court or try tried as hard as I did.

But there are many other athletes and especially other tennis players who do a wonderful job, as well. If I can be any sort of inspiration for guys coming up on the tour, that would be great, you know, in whatever shape and form that is.

Q. How important do you think, not just for that particular moment of the match but maybe for the tenor of the match moving forward, was that 3-All Love-40 game? I'm wondering in the moment, do you sense that that could be a very pivotal moment moving forward?

ROGER FEDERER:
I think against any big server, 3-All Love-40 is a big game, because it could be that a big server also himself won't see that many opportunities down the stretch. That's what happened for him, too. And I know if I can somehow dig myself out of that game, I don't know how I got into the Love-40 game, into the Love-40 position, it's just huge to try to get out of it somehow. Doesn't have to be pretty. Doesn't have to be crazy shot-making. Just you have to get back to deuce somehow and maybe you can breathe a bit.

I know the importance of it, as well. I have been around the block for long enough. I just struggled early on, you know. I struggled with the backhand, hit too many errors there. Maybe it was part to do with the light, I'm not sure.

I thought Nick was inspired. He knew what he wanted to do. I didn't quite, off the baseline, get the right balance going. And I think then after that, there was also a lot of -- a long deuce game, too, after the Love-40. I think it was important to somehow get out of it and stay within 4-3 and probably look at a tiebreaker.

But I was able to break earlier, which was clearly great because I had no sniff on any of his service games in the first three or four. I didn't get discouraged and I think that was also the key today.

Q. A general question about tiebreaks. You have a fantastic record in tiebreaks through your career. How differently do you play tiebreaks compared with any other games?

ROGER FEDERER:
I think it really depends on how the set has gone. You know, do you play better as the set goes forward, or sometimes you also have the feeling that you go in a breaker and you're just like, It's just not happening, I'm not feeling the serve, the return's not happening, the play is going his way.

I think when you go in with a negative mindset into a breaker, very often you also either start poorly and then you lose it anyway, or you actually start well, and you're, like, I probably shouldn't be in the lead, and then you end up losing it. So I think a very positive mindset is good.

Obviously if you have a good serve, that's always helpful. So, yeah, I mean, you want to play patiently aggressive, I would think. You don't want to go for broke, don't want to do crazy things. But it os does sometimes pay off as well. You have to balance it right.

Yeah, but the tiebreakers are huge, you know, especially in big-time moments like Grand Slam finals or finals in general. That's where you really, really want to win the breakers.

Q. Were you aware that he imitated your serve in the first set, and what do you think of a player doing something like that during a Grand Slam match?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, doesn't matter if it's a Grand Slam match or a first round of any other 250 tournament or any place. We have all imitated serves. Sure, it's unusual to happen against you with your own serve.

Yes, of course, I knew right away when he imitates my serve, and I have seen him doing it several times over the last few months. Also that he's been using my serve sometimes to great effect, which I'm very happy to see. It's a technique that worked. No, I'm joking.

It's good fun. Look, I take it like just as it is. I think in Stuttgart, maybe or some other place, he warmed up against me only hitting my serves. I know it's about warming up the shoulder. Other guys probably use their own technique. Other guys probably use it differently. It's all good.

Q. A lot of players are very superstitious. Are you? If so, what sorts of things do you do or try to avoid on the court or before a match? I have also heard you're partial to the number 8. Is that true?

ROGER FEDERER:
No, 8 only because I'm born on the 8th of the 8th in '81. I like that number. So not that much more to it, to be quite honest.

And then, no, I'm not very superstitious. I don't know how much I can tell you. I can try to dig and tell you -- I just try to be on time, so I'm not late for my matches, because, you know, I go back to the junior days where all of a sudden, it's, like, Okay, where is this kid, Roger? The match is on, and, I don't know. You're nowhere to be found, and you're, like, playing games with your friends in the forest and, they're like, Okay, match, and, sure, here you come.

I'm always scared I'm going to miss a match because I'm stuck in traffic. I just like to be on time wherever I go.

On the court itself, I have no superstitions, to be honest. I don't mind stepping on lines. I don't mind which side of the court I sit on or which racquet I start with. No, thankfully not.

I always told myself, also, the box doesn't have to sit the same. You know, I know everybody has different -- I'm not like that. I always said, if it's another round, I can still play tennis. That's better if they're there. I just want it to be independent, to be honest. I think that's what it is, as well.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm

I have seen Roger do some around the net post shots before! And other "impossible' shots. He is right that it takes a spacious area to provide the room for running so far and so much outside. His whole game, how he dealt with Kyrgions, was just so crisp,to the point, as though he were on a path to a mission and everything in front and left to right of him was swept aside.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Kyrgions, really, another race for another space adventure fiction!What a difference a typo can make. Additionally, I thought I wrote about Roger's interview or presser. He is very insightful in his analysis, and Kyrgios can certainly learn from it. Roger, to my mind, is always very open and provides valuable insights not just about his own game but the game of other players' and tennis in general.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Normal US Open 2018 Press Conferences

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:12 pm

I don't want the time to go by, but on the other hand I am intching to see him play. Caught a glimpse of Djoke..what can I say. And Delpo. Coric tried very hard but the giant loomed over him.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:32 am

US OPEN 2018 - R4 Press Conference (vs J. Millman)
MON Sep 3, 2018

Round 4 - Arthur Ashe Stadium - 9 pm

John Millman   Australia   d. Roger Federer   Switzerland   :   3-6, 7-5, 7-67, 7-63   Match Stats

> VIDEO

> Transcript

US OPEN

Monday, September 3, 2018

Roger Federer

Press Conference

J. MILLMAN / R. Federer
3-6, 7-5, 7-6, 7-6

Q. What was ailing you this evening and what effect did it have on you?

ROGER FEDERER:
Sorry, the beginning?

Q. What was ailing you and what effect did it have on you, physical ailment?

ROGER FEDERER:
I just thought it was very hot tonight. Was just one of those nights where I guess I felt I couldn't get air. There was no circulation at all. I don't know, for some reason I just struggled in the conditions tonight. It's one of the first times it's happened to me.

Yeah, it's uncomfortable. Clearly just keep on sweating more and more and more and more as the match goes on. You lose energy as it goes by.

But John was able to deal with it better. He maybe comes from one of the most humid places on earth, Brisbane. I knew I was in for a tough one. Maybe when you feel like that, as well, you start missing chances, and I had those. That was disappointing.

But, look, at some point also I was just happy that the match was over, I guess.

Q. How did you come about inviting John to Switzerland? Why did you choose him to practice with?

ROGER FEDERER:
I think it was part that he lost early in Paris. We were looking for somebody who was a great guy, who could train hard, you know, maybe was looking also for a place to come to and practice on the grass or hard courts with me before Stuttgart. I didn't know he had a girlfriend in Stuttgart.

Just Severin asked him. He was like, Yeah, absolutely, I'm ready to come. We had a great few days, a good time together. Then we saw each other again in Stuttgart. We almost played against each other there, too.

Q. Your serve wasn't as reliable as usual tonight. Was something feeling off in your motion? What was going through your mind missing all those first serves?

ROGER FEDERER:
It was hot (laughter).

Q. That was it?

ROGER FEDERER:  
Yes. When you feel like that, everything is off, so... But, look, I've trained in tougher conditions. I've played in the daytime, you know, at 120. Some days it's just not the day where the body can cope with it.

I do believe since the roof is on that there is no air circulation in the stadium. I think just that makes it a totally different US Open. Plus conditions maybe were playing slower this year on top of it. You have soaking wet pants, soaking wet everything. The balls are in there, too. You try to play. Everything gets slower as you try to hit winners.

Again, look, I thought the match was tough. I wish I could have led two sets to love and then maybe the match would be different, you know, and I would find a way, because I did have my chances all the way till the end. It was just tough. I thought John played a great match in difficult conditions.

Q. Can you talk about what he does well, what are his strengths? What will he need to do against Novak?

ROGER FEDERER:
John, well, I love his intensity. He reminds me of David Ferrer and those other guys that, you know, I admire a lot when I see them, when I see how they train, the passion they have for the game. I love his intensity.

He's got a positive demeanor about himself on and off the court. I think he's got a great backhand that he can protect very well down the line and cross-court. When you attack there in the wrong way, he will punish you, punish you every time for it.

Yeah, then he has options, now especially where it's a bit slower, to return in and return back. I think against Novak, he just has to bring it again, try to worry Novak, hope for another hot day, maybe, I don't know.

Q. Can you put the past months in perspective with what occurred at Wimbledon and Cincinnati and now here?

ROGER FEDERER:  
We don't have enough time, I don't think (smiling).

You know what, I explained Wimbledon already. Cincinnati was a pretty good tournament in very fast conditions where it was hard to find rhythm. But still made a finals first tournament back. I think actually I was quite happy. Was just not a good final from my side. But, okay, that can happen. It was after all Novak on the other side of the net.

Today, like I explained, it was just hot. No shame there. Just I think these are the things that unfortunately sometimes happen. So, you know, move on and take a rest. I'm happy I'm getting a rest now. Then I come back for the Laver Cup and hopefully finish the year strong.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum