Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IW & Miami 2017 Press Conferences

+4
vrazkar
avasbar
Cromar
anutam
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Normal IW & Miami 2017 Press Conferences

Post by anutam Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 pm

IW 2017 Pre-Tournament Interview

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/federer-indian-wells-2017-preview

I thought that Grand Slam winners are automatically qualified for WTF, but Roger said something like "I hope i will qualify". Or have the rules changed recently?
anutam
anutam

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: IW & Miami 2017 Press Conferences

Post by Cromar Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:11 am

No, the rules haven't changed, anutam. Roger does have a definite advantage having won a GS, but it's not a total fail-safe guarantee for qualification to the WTF.

Two conditions remain: He must finish the year in the top 20, and if they are two of them outside the top 7, the second one (lowest ranked) would be alternate.

The rule as stated is confusing, as this is how they build the Selection list, as they call it, allowing for two GS winners (7 + 2 = 9)!
Then, they go on to say that the top 8 of that list will qualify and that participation for them is mandatory.  

ATP Rules

4.01 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals - Singles

Entries

1) Selection List. The selection list for the event shall be:

1. The top seven (7) players in the Emirates ATP Rankings as of the Mondayafter the last ATP World Tour tournament of the calendar year; followed by
  2. Up to two (2) Grand Slam winners of that year, in order of their positions,
    positioned between 8 and 20 in the Emirates ATP Rankings as of that Monday; followed by
  3. Players positioned 8 and below in the Emirates ATP Rankings as of that Monday

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:21 am

The Full transcript of those presser vids

Note what he says about The Backhand towards the end.

http://www.insidetennis.com/2017/03/inside-roger-federer-an-interview/

An In-Depth Interview With the Great Star, Who Talks About His Australian Triumph, the Beauty of Sports, His New Perspective and His Future

Some claim that the run of Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal to the Aussie Open final was the best feel-good story in the history of men’s tennis history – hmmm? In any case, for the first time since his inspiring Melbourne run, Roger shared with the American media his thoughts on his triumph, the beauty of sport, his new perspective and his future.

>So what’s it like to be playing like Roger again?

It’s nice to be playing tennis again. I missed playing here last year, so it’s good to be back. I’m still on the comeback [trail], so it’s a lot of fun. I’m enjoying practice more than ever. For sure, I can’t wait for the matches to roll around.

>Roger, there have been a lot of incredible moments in tennis. The 1981 Borg-McEnroe Wimbledon final, Jimmy Connors’ run to the 1991 US Open semis, your final with Rafa in the dusk at the 2008 Wimbledon. But your triumph in Australia this year was truly extraordinary. During a rough time it brought so much joy to so many millions. Do you realize the impact it had? And what kind of feedback have you gotten about it?

The loss I had at Wimbledon with Rafa when I lost in the finals resonated big. I got a lot of cheering-up messages saying, “That match was incredible; sorry you lost” – especially since I came straight to America.

This has been different. I don’t want to say I went silent, but I was in Switzerland. Things were quiet. I was with my friends and family. I did hear that in Switzerland things were…crazy on finals day and throughout the tournament, because it was so unexpected for me to play so well…On social media [there was] a lot happening. There were a lot of reactions. [Here’s the] best backhands, best forehands, match points, [best] reactions. I was sent everything and [ended up] watching everything the first couple of weeks after it was all said and done, which was a lot of fun.

But…what happened in the rest of the world was hard for me to judge. So I see that there are a lot of people here [in Indian Wells] and it seems to still be a topic – which is great. Still I feel it was just like yesterday and I still feel I am on cloud nine. Things are terrific. I’m happy. I made a lot of people happy, because I’m not just playing for myself these days. There is so much more to it and that’s why…this victory felt as good as it did for me. This year [I’ll be able to] play with relaxation.

>Talk about how sports can uplift people’s spirits. The impact of your win was so vast.

That’s nice, yeah. That’s nice. That’s why a lot of people follow sports – because sports make them happy. Your guy or your team doesn’t always win, but that’s okay, because better times usually come. It’s a bit of a roller coaster ride in a career, or for a team. I was particularly happy that it resonated so big and so many people were so genuinely happy.

>Talk about “the group of death.” What were you thoughts when you saw yourself, Rafa and Djokovic, all stacked in one quarter of the draw?

Most of the guys you won’t even see, because they will eliminate each other. The first message I got was that I will face Tommy Robredo or Dudi Sela. And I was like, ‘Okay, fine.’ Then I heard Rafa was in my section, [and I said] ‘Okay.’ And then they said Novak is in your section, [and I was like] “Okay, fine.” It doesn’t matter. I have gone through so many draws. I came here to play against those guys. It doesn’t matter if it’s in the semis, the finals or…in the fourth round. I know it matters for you guys. The only problem is that some [top] guys have to lose super-early. That opens the draw for others and that’s an opportunity for guys to rise in the rankings…I have had a lot of tough draws. In 2004 after winning over Marat Safin in the Australian Open final, I had to play him in the first round in Dubai. That was…probably tougher than Tommy Robredo or Dudi Sela.

>Did you feel you were maybe more fortunate because you had a healthy career and didn’t have to go through what you had to in the last year? Do you now appreciate the game in a different way?

Yeah, possibly. You’re right. I don’t think I needed kids or an injury for perspective. I do understand now when people are injured what it means. Going into surgery, how do people feel, how do they come out? That it’s an opportunity as well as it’s hard to go through. It’s okay to be angry, [it’s] okay to be disappointed [or to think] that maybe you did something wrong, although in my case I didn’t.

Yeah, definitely it was a lot of new things I learned. For me, because it is a new situation I want to live it, I want to live it big and try to make the most of it and come out of it with something. And I came back rejuvenated and maybe with a slightly different mindset, maybe more fortunate…

>In terms of changes in your perspective, talk about the impact of the passing of your great early coach Australian Peter Carter [who died in an auto accident].

For me, Peter Carter was incredibly important. He was one of the coaches who taught me technique early on and that’s what sticks with you for a lifetime. He was like an older brother to me, like [Swede] Peter Lundgren was. I learned from him. [He was] like a father figure, to a certain extent. At the beginning a coach is really, really important. I was extremely fortunate to have such great coaches from the beginning of my career until today. So it was definitely…a wake up call for me. I was not going to waste any talent and even if getting to world No. 1 or winning Grand Slams or big tournaments, maybe [I sensed] I can achieve more, have more power and be more happy. Maybe those extra steps come through due to the loss of Peter, I’m not sure.

>Obviously you’ve done a masterful job with your scheduling, you’ve had so few injuries. Was your take-away from the Australian Open to take more rest? Did you come away re-thinking how you may schedule the last part of your career?

I had to take that time off. It wasn’t like I took off six months because I felt it was the right thing to do for the Australian Open. I had to actually take the time off. My knee wasn’t well the entire grass-court season. The clay-court season was bad too. I played one normal tournament last year. So I didn’t have a choice. But again, it is so important to train. Every day, there is something to be done.

[Players think] if I don’t play, somebody else will win the tournament. They feel it is hard to not play for six weeks. There will be other winners on tour and they say, “I could have been one of them.”

But, if you look at the big picture, sometimes you have to step away to come back strong. Throughout my career I always did that. Not six months, but I did it two or three times a year. I stepped away and it served me well. That’s why I think I’m still here today and still eager and excited to play.

>Compared with earlier in your career, how difficult is it to balance things in your life? You’re older, you’ve had to deal with injuries, you’re involved in the Laver Cup and you have four kids.

It’s a whole new world now, but it is very well-run. We know what we have to do as a family to make it work. On the business side of things, I know how much I have to speak to [my agent] Tony Godsick, how much I can or can’t do. What is too much, what is not enough prior to a tournament. I always try to manage the energy there. If I do a photo shoot, what kind of a shoot is it? Is it for eight hours? Will I be playing or just standing around? All those things matter. I have a lot of experience with that. [Then there’s the question of] which tournaments do you prefer, which ones do you play better at? Only over time will you really find out. At the beginning, you don’t even know if you prefer clay over indoor hard or grass. So, you have to pick your moments.

At the beginning, everything was so new it was difficult – like who do you surround yourself with, what’s being professional, what’s being amateur-like? [You are] making all kinds of mistakes. Is it good to travel across different continents all the time or to play certain tournaments, or is it best to step away?

So all these things have fallen into place and it’s so much easier. [When you’re young] you waste so much energy on all that stuff. Sure the kids now keep us extremely busy. That’s the biggest part almost, then tennis obviously comes second.

>How hard was it to be patient and disciplined during your comeback, when you were out?

It was fairly easy. In the beginning I couldn’t play. Only in the last three weeks of the season did I feel that maybe I could play a set with those guys. When the season was over I went into harder training, so it never crossed my mind that I could have come back earlier.

I didn’t want to do it, because I wanted extra time to get extra ready for the Australian Open. I hope it sends a message to players that it’s good to spend extra time after injuries or it is okay to take extra time to train to become a better player.

>What were your expectations going into Australia?

I didn’t know what my expectations were. I thought maybe a fourth round would be great. The quarterfinals would be incredible. Even after I won the first round against [Jurgen] Melzer, I told the press I would have been happy even to have lost that day, because I was injury free and was playing and was at the Australian Open. Things were good. I had a great build-up in December…[If I lost in the first round] it would not have gone so well result-wise, but still I was happy to be back on the court. I am happy with extremely little, so that it is why the surprise was so huge for me that I went all the way.

>The way you hit your backhand was one of the most striking things about your play in Australia. Was that one of the things you worked on [when you were off the circuit], and is that going to change how you play?

I didn’t necessarily work on the backhand. I had six weeks of tennis in a row from mid-November to the end of December. I had a lot of tennis and a lot of two-on-ones with two guys on one side and me alone. With that you can change direction much better. I had a good time, a good vibe. [That forces you to be] fast on your feet so you can actually get up to the ball, especially me since I play on the top of the baseline. You have to be explosive, you have to be fast, you have to anticipate things well. Then those type of [aggressive] backhands, I only hit towards the later stages of a tournament when you have really gotten used to the court conditions. [In Australia] everything just kind of clicked in the right moment. I did the right things. I wasn’t scared. I was willing to go for it. It felt great to hit so many backhand winners.

>How has the Laver Cup evolved and how much of a challenge has it been to make it special?

I think it’s going to be wonderful. I was just in Prague when tickets went on sale and I’m glad tickets sold out in record time. Rocket [Rod Laver] seems extremely excited about it, which makes me happy. It should be a celebration of tennis, getting the legends of the game into the Laver Cup. Hopefully a new generation of players will be excited if they are picked as wild cards. We will have Captains Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe. Rafa and Berdych will be on the team. It’s going to be cool. I’m happy that tickets are sold out. The atmosphere is going to be epic…I’m really excited.

>What do you think you’re going to do when you’re finished playing?

I can’t tell you exactly, not because I’m holding back, but when it is all said and done, I’m not quite sure what to expect. But a lot of things are going to happen once I’m retired, and I hope to involve a lot of my kids, my family and friends, because now we’re living in this kind of train that [goes] “whoosh” and we are [just] doing the most we can.

Once this is not happening we’re going to have much more flexibility…There are a lot of things I want to do and I hope I will be here and around to live and enjoy it.
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 R2 - Presser Transcript

Post by anutam Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:57 am

The presser after 2 Rd (http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=127979)

March 12, 2017
Roger Federer
Indian Wells, California

R. FEDERER/S. Robert
6-2, 6-1

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You looked like you were moving amazing out there. Feeling good? How's the knee?
ROGER FEDERER: Good. Very happy. Knee is a thing of the past, which is great. I don't even have to think or talk about it. So I thought the match went really well. Rocky start in the beginning, just finding the groove, finding the rhythm, seeing the ball.
I'm very pleased how it went. And, yeah, moving on to the next round, it's going to be different. It's going to be different matchup, so I've got to adjust again.

Q. (Question regarding older players playing well.)
ROGER FEDERER: Good question. I'm not sure what it is that clicked in his game or in his head or what happened, or if it just paid off to, you know, keep doing what you're doing, figuring it out. Maybe scheduling, maybe it is work ethic, maybe it was a coaching change. I don't know what it is.
I think it would be very interesting to do interviews with those players who are sort of late-bloomers who did it late in their career. I find it fascinating, too, because you would think you're in your best period between maybe 23 and 28.
So I admire those guys, though, to make the breakthrough later on and find a way and not lose love for the game early. Because it's easy, you know, because you're playing mostly on the challenger tour or maybe even future tournament, satellites way back when like when Stephane started like I did.
So it's nice to see him do well now and beginning to play against great players on the big courts. I think that's been so motivational for those guys to keep going. All of a sudden, age really just becomes a number.

Q. Maria Sharapova is coming back on the tour next month after her ban. Tournaments are weighing whether or not to give her wildcards because she will have no ranking. A few already have. What are your thoughts on that process? It's sort of unprecedented in tennis to have a big superstar coming off a ban like this.
ROGER FEDERER: It's a tough one. What do you want me to tell you? Like you said, because it's the first, it kind of is what it is. You know, some people will like it; some people won't.
She paid the price for what she did, so that's all you can say there.
I see the argument of players being or people being turned off by it to get wildcards, to others who believe, well, she served her time. It's all cool now. It's all over.
You could definitely revisit the rule potentially, which is to decide is it really just up to the tournaments, that one tournament director to decide if maybe Maria, or anybody now, just hypothetically speaking, deserves a wildcard or not, you know, after a ban. Or should wildcards not be part of the equation, certain level of tournaments?
I'm not sure. I think it's a good debate to have, for sure, but at the same time, you know, it's a tricky one. I'm sure she's happy that she's back playing.

Q. To me, on court you look as fast as you have ever been. I wonder if you feel that's the case, and how do you do on the fitness test compared to, say, 10 years ago?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't do any fitness tests. Thank God I'm past that stage. I used to hate them. I really didn't enjoy them, especially as a young kid. We always had to do the 12-minute run. I don't know if in other countries you have to do. Yeah, all out for 12 minutes. Other test, check you, your speed. Sometimes they would check how stretched you are and stuff, and you realize you're terrible. You're like, Does that mean I can't play tennis?
Because I have been working with the same fitness coach for so long, he knows exactly what's good and bad,and he sees when I move bad or not. Then he tweaks it so I don't have to do the test, thank God, no more.
It's true I feel really good. I feel fast. I think it did pay off that I worked as hard as I did in the offseason and that I actually could work hard. It was very exciting for such a long period of time. And I think I'm definitely still benefiting from it.

Q. What has Ivan brought to your game and how is that similar and different from what Edberg was bringing to you?
ROGER FEDERER: I think -- weird to say this, but we're still sort of in the beginning stages, because I hardly played last year. I played one tournament where I felt normal last year. That was at the Australian Open. All the other tournaments there was something wrong, either sick or injured or hurt or the knee not right.
I have basically had two tournaments with him, both Australian Opens, if you like. But I have been around him now, did a lot of practice. He's very eager. He's got great work ethic, great attitude towards the game. He was a good friend of mine already before we started working.
I think he really wants me to do well and he makes me feel that, which makes me feel better then again. I like his attitude on the court, as well. I see he's intense, he's focused. And he gives me good advice.
Like with Stefan, I don't ask that much from my coaches. It could be that one advice at the right time. I feel Stefan has done that many, many times in my career. Ivan helped me throughout the tougher moments to stay positive, and at the Australian Open he gave me key advice during the tournament, which is, looking back, I think, very important.

Q. An off-court question. There are so many products you endorse. You have your own logo. Do you, by any chance, see yourself as a brand as well?
ROGER FEDERER: Me personally, no, because I'm a tennis player. That's what I see myself doing. Philanthropist, you know, a dad, and a husband. Kind of really simple, to be quite honest.
Then if you dig deeper and you, you know, peel off the layers and stuff, I'm sure if you ask Tony, of course, he's much more to it. And I do speak to him a lot just about how we can maintain great relationships with everybody, and how we can do good for the game and so forth.
You know, there is definitely more to it, but I try not to see it that way, even though probably it is.

Q. Is there a certain lightness that's come with that 18th slam? You seem to be very relaxed and having fun. To see you dropping to the ground doing the push-ups with the kids, you just seem...
ROGER FEDERER: That's not because of 18. It's not like, I didn't win a slam in a long time. I'm not doing any push-ups. No. (Laughter.)
I think it was a beautiful thing that happened for my team and for myself down in Australia.
I think I should play very relaxed this year, not just here, not just in Miami, not just in Dubai, wherever I'm going to go. I really hope I can play with this lightness, this freshness throughout, because I worked so hard to get to 18 the last five years. It's not always been easy, especially with injuries.
And losing some tough matches, but I did have good moments, too, you know. I won a lot of tournaments, beat a lot of the top guys, basically all of them. But then basically won the Davis Cup, which is big for us, for me.
So it wasn't all bad, you know, like maybe people make it sound like there was this huge lull or a bad stretch. It wasn't. It was just one that I couldn't get a slam because of Novak, mostly. So I'm happy I finally got it.
And, yeah, sure, show up with more motivation and excitement. I have to be careful of any letdown after the Australian Open. I think it's real. That's why I'm really out there, like today, pushing myself on, one more point, shot-for-shot, point-for-point mentality. So important to see and not look too far ahead and think things are going to come easy.
If you watch Novak today or Rafa, margins are small. If you're not up to your best, you're struggling. You might lose. Saw it with Andy yesterday. It happens so quickly.
That's why I'm really pushing for me to have good energy on the court.

Q. The other day when you were reflecting on your time off and your career, you said something very interesting where you said, I need extremely little. Could you reflect on that, on sort of what your core happiness is and how that integrates to getting all this incredible adulation and all this on-court performance and the titles?
ROGER FEDERER: I need very little in terms of happiness, you mean?
Q. Yeah.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I'm just happy being surrounded by family and friends. That's good enough for me. Not lying, winning helps to be happy, because losing ain't fun when you travel around the world and you play a shocker match and you're, like, Now what? Now you have to sit there. That didn't feel good. And then, you know, you've got to wait until you get your next shot.
But other than that, I'm just really happy with very little. Exactly what that is, it could be anything. Could be dinner with friends. Could be seeing someone again, reading a book to my boys and my girls. I don't know what it is. It could be the most simplest little thing.
I guess the urge for normality, as well, to some extent that we try to create wherever we go because we live in this funky bubble, tennis world, hotels and all that. It's not the norm, so I'm aware of that. We try to go out and about and discover stuff. It makes me happy when I get away from it all.

Q. When there is this frenzy like the other day at practice, like Beatlemania, what goes through your head when you see the fans...
ROGER FEDERER: It's great. I'm happy for the tournament. I'm happy for tennis, that there seems to be an excitement, and then I appreciate that there is so many, I don't know, that buy my caps and feel connected that way, or a shirt or whatever it may be, a racquet. I get a chance, you know, take a picture with them or sign an autograph for them or make a dream come true, you know.
Because maybe many people will never get to see a tennis tournament ever again because either it costs a lot of money or they come from far away.
So I always try to tell myself that that person I might have taken a picture with I will maybe never see again. That's why I try to make that moment memorable for the people. Unfortunately, I can't sign them all. I think most fans understand that. That's why I don't get booed if I walk away, even though I could only sign 10%.
It's nice that especially here there are so many fans that come to practice, and that queue for autographs and pictures, I appreciate that.

Q. I know you have been friends with Tommy Haas for a long time and played doubles. What are your thoughts on seeing him in this new role as tournament director and your thoughts on the tournament picking somebody like him? Sort of a new start for them and a new direction?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, look, I like Tommy a lot. I think he's a great guy. If he's going to do something, he will do it with all his heart. He's very hard working. Trying super hard. I love to see him in this role. I love seeing former champs doing what he's doing, giving back to the game, essentially.
You know, sort of stepping halfway out. He still wants to play. I think it's wonderful. I told him sometimes, yeah, just think about it, how much more you want, because you've got this great role here now. But it's great that he wants to go out on his terms.
I think it's going to be a great asset for this tournament, because he has a lot of ideas, a lot of ideas. So that's going to keep him busy for years to come, which is good.

Q. Was your 18th Grand Slam most special because of the way you came off injury?
ROGER FEDERER: Possibly. It's in the top five of all slams. I don't know if it beats my first one, because the first one, it was a dream come true, so that maybe beats everything.
French Open, I chased that one. And then when it did happen, it was unbelievable what it meant to me and the support I got in Paris.
I don't know. Winning at the US Open against Agassi, one of my big and best performance potentially, winning in that atmosphere, under that pressure, being World No. 1 and defending against him, who maybe people thought he was going to retire if he won.
This one now after the comeback and the injury, it was by far the biggest surprise. It was more surprising than, say, my first one in '03. But, yeah, every one is special. This one is right up there.
anutam
anutam

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 R2 - Presser Video

Post by vrazkar Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:56 am

Here's also a video from the presser

vrazkar
vrazkar

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:23 am

:drunken: Smile  'so many to choose from; hmmm, let me see..... '
King
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 R3 - Presser Video

Post by fedled Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:48 pm

... and the full presser video has been uploaded to YouTube Very Happy

fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 R3 - Presser Transcript

Post by fedled Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:25 pm

The presser transcript from R3 is also available: BNP Paribas Open - RF Presser Transcript March 14

Reproduced here as well ...

BNP Paribas Open
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Roger Federer
Press Conference
R. FEDERER/S. Johnson
7-6, 7-6

IW & Miami 2017 Press Conferences R3roge14

PAGE 2
IW & Miami 2017 Press Conferences R3roge15

PAGE 3

IW & Miami 2017 Press Conferences R3roge10
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 R4 - Post-match Interview (Tennis TV)

Post by avasbar Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:33 am

R4 Interview

avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 R4 - Presser Video

Post by norinchi Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:33 pm

norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 R4 - Presser Transcript

Post by vrazkar Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:43 am

Presser after 4th round http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=128166

March 15, 2017

Roger Federer

Indian Wells, California

R. FEDERER/R. Nadal

6-2, 6-3

Q. You lost the first point in something like 13 of 17 games, and then you won 8 of those games.
ROGER FEDERER: I don't understand.

Q. 13 games?
ROGER FEDERER: Matches or games?

Q. Games today.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah.

Q. Out of 17, you lost the first point.
ROGER FEDERER: Got it. Now I understand what you're talking about. That's how it felt, as well (smiling).

Q. When that happened, did you feel tight or relaxed?
ROGER FEDERER: Not relaxed. But I felt like that's a bad start, even though on some of them I don't think I played poorly. I think Rafa picked a side which I served on again, stuff like that.

But that's something I need to do better, you know, that's for sure. Because going down Love-15 on your serve is not something you want to do all the time.

Going down 15-Love on his serve, that's something that's -- that's not a problem. You just move on and you wish you could have won the point, but you can only try your best.

On your serve, I feel like 15-Love lead can be quite critical, you know, down the stretch in the game.

Q. You mentioned in the on-court interview that you noticed maybe Rafa's footwork was off a little bit today, and you definitely were playing aggressive, taking time away from him. Did you notice that early on? Did that affect your strategy at all?
ROGER FEDERER: No. I mean, for me, it was all about coming out and trying to play the way I did in Australia. I didn't think it was going to be that possible, to be quite honest, because the court is more jumpy here or more rough, let's say, so it's hard to put the ball away.

I have seen, as well, like against Johnson yesterday, when you serve well and stay on the offensive and you press, you can actually play some really good, aggressive tennis here.

It's hard to dig your way out of defense, because the ball doesn't skid on you as an attacker, and I think I did well again today. You know, I said yesterday it was more a sprint than a marathon. So getting in the lead was crucial, and then staying on the offense and pressing was the goal for me.

Once I got the break in the second set, obviously you had to be very careful you didn't get down double break. And I was able to hold my serve, and he couldn't find a way how to get into my service games more frequently. Next thing you know, it's all over. It was a really good performance by me, I thought.

Q. It seems it was an easy match. Can you explain?
ROGER FEDERER: Physically it was easy, because we didn't have many long rallies. It wasn't quite intense. It wasn't three-and-a-half hours like in Melbourne, but we knew that going in.

If you look at most of the matches, like Kyrgios against Djokovic or you name it, there is not that many long rallies unless both players really want it. When one guy doesn't want to have long rallies, you know, you can bail out with big serves, big shots.

And I think Rafa knew that he had to do some of that, too. It wasn't enough just to putting the ball in play. That's why the points stayed short.

So for me it was physically a good match. Also, looking ahead, it's always good saving energy, conserving energy for the rest of the tournament, but also for the rest of the season and for your life, because every step more you take on court has an effect down the road, I believe (smiling).

Q. You had a lot of matches against Rafa but not many consecutive wins. Now you're three straight. Getting that sort of achievement at 35, does it surprise you or what's it mean to you having this hot streak and this rivalry that's been tough for you?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, exactly. It's a nice feeling to win the last three. I can tell you that.

But most importantly, I won Australia. That was big for me. On the comeback, I look back at that and think that was one of the coolest things I ever experienced in my career.

Basel was special, too, for many reasons, because I used to be ballboy there. I never played Rafa prior to that finals.

Then now, here, after the Australian hype, you know, to play here in America right away, all of them are very special.

I mean, all the matches that we have played are unique in many ways for both of us, winning or losing. So I take it. Obviously can't celebrate too long this time around. I have to get back to work in a couple of days.

Q. Besides the court difference, what do you think were the big difference, like, between today and in Australian Open?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't think we had quite the rhythm that we had in Australia, but we knew that going in. And I think he, especially from the baseline, he didn't control the ball as well as he did in Australia.

I actually surprised myself by the control I had on the baseline because, against Steve Johnson, I really struggled to control the ball.

So I thought it was going to be even more crazy against Rafa with his spin and his lefty hook and everything. It was going to be much tougher.

Because in practice this morning I hardly made any returns. I didn't know what was going on. I thought it was going to be rough.

But then I came into the match and I warmed up with Rafa. In those five minutes, I was like, whew, I'm feeling pretty good and the spin is not bothering me so much. So I wondered why that is. And that stayed like this during the match, as well.

Q. Fans love all of your shots, but I think they particularly love your backhand. Could you give us a few free-form thoughts about your backhand, how it's evolved over the years, how you have worked on it, especially recently? Did you do a lot of video work Ivan, avoiding the net, being aggressive? Talk about that.
ROGER FEDERER: I think with the bigger racquet, head size, and definitely having an easier time to come over the return, especially, and then stay aggressive throughout the rally, as well.

Clearly because it has more power, I have to be careful, you know, how I manage that because the ball flies out of the racquet faster than with my previous racquet, before '14, that I had for a few years there.

So for me, I think it was the work that I had in November/December. It's weird, you know, but you just feel like it's paying off, you know. Because I hit so many balls at practice, you go much more rhythm, rhythm, rhythm, and eventually you play points and sets and you realize all that rhythm, you almost don't need it.

Because look at the rallies today. There was hardly any normal rallies against Steve Johnson. One is a slice, one is a huge topspin, one is a block return.

You never play ten backhand to backhand shots, but in practice you practice those a ton and eventually they are engrained in the system and you feel way better.

I think the backhand and putting -- has gotten better because I have been able to put so many hours onto the racquet now. And really, since this year, I feel super comfortable with the racquet, and I think I have also gained confidence stepping into it.

Obviously you have to take it on the rise, and for that you need good footwork, because if the footwork is not right, you won't be on top of the ball.

So I think all my coaches throughout my career have told me to go more for the backhand, but I used to shank more. So maybe deep down I didn't always believe that I had it in the most important moments. But I think that's changing little by little, which I'm very happy about.

Q. Just what's the evolution on the racquet since '14? Any other change?
ROGER FEDERER: Let me just be clear. I have to be sure. I think -- well, I changed it in the 97-square-inch in '14. In '13, I was testing when I had back problems which started here.

Was testing racquets through the clay court season after taking wildcards after losing early, I think, in Wimbledon when I played Gstaad and Hamburg. That was a different kind of 97-square-inch racquet I was trying with Wilson. But the problem with the back issues was still not 100% clear.

And I came to Cincinnati, was practicing still with, you know, with the bigger racquet head size all the way two days before the -- two days before the first round in Cincinnati.

And then I pulled the plug on the big racquet and just said, You know what? First I need to figure out my back. I played the rest of the season with the 90 till the end of the year.

And then I got back into testing, tested a different kind of racquet again, which was even better than the one I was testing in the summer, and then I started basically in -- I guess I played Brisbane in Australia, and then I made the semis I think and lost to Rafa in Australia.

So that's when it started. Then paint got put on the racquet eventually after the year, because the first one wasn't sold, so you can't put any color on it, yeah, that's...

Q. No change since then?
ROGER FEDERER: No. It's a bit of a different paint now, black to what I had before. That plays slightly different, but not much.

Q. A couple years ago Pat Rafter said Nick Kyrgios was the best talent he had seen since you. He's Australian so he might be biased. Do you see any similarities in the freakish talent that you have and some of the talent that he's got?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. That's really up to others to judge. You know, what are we talking about? When we were both 17 or 19? That's the question. You know...

Q. He's 21. You won your first major, what, 20?
ROGER FEDERER: I was 22 when I won my first major. He's still got time (smiling).

I don't want to say I was a late-bloomer. I don't think I was, per se, but the problem was that I had other guys like Lleyton and Safin and Roddick all before me who were my age.

So I think that really helped me to elevate my game and draw motivation from those guys that I didn't want to lag behind those guys. That was good for me, because that gave me power to work harder at myself.

I see what Pat is saying. I think both our games need a bit more time, you know, especially on the mental side and on the physical side.

Just bringing it day to day, everyday practice, all that stuff doesn't come as natural for maybe Nick and myself than for the others, where I thought, you know, whether you're fully grown or they knew exactly what they needed to do in practice, or, you know, tactically, technically they are all very sound already.

I feel like Nick and me, we have a lot of options, so it's hard for us to always pick the right one, and maybe there are some similarities more than anywhere.

Q. Can you talk about the way Nick is playing? He has at least two wins over Novak, but do you see any kind of parallels of facing him the next round to maybe when you faced Pete at Wimbledon several years ago?
ROGER FEDERER: Similarities? Jeez, I don't know. It's not Wimbledon here. And we have played before already. I played Pete one time that time. That was my first time on Centre Court. So I think there was much more at stake really than what's now.

And I think he's more established than I was back then already, or I felt, at least, because he was already beating -- he's already beaten great players for a while now. I don't think I was doing that great as he was, you know. I didn't have that big of a game, you know, per se, with the serve and everything.

So I don't see that much, to be quite honest.

But I'm very impressed him taking out Novak, back-to-back weeks, on Novak's best surface. I hope it's going to lead to something great for Nick that he realizes, you know, if he puts his head down and focuses that he can bring it, you know, day in and day out, week in and week out.

That's maybe going to take a bit more time, but just that he can run through tournaments, that's why he can win tournaments, because when it matters the most against the best and in finals, he's there. Eventually he will need that, but that's a great quality to have already now.

Q. It's been almost a couple of years since you last played Nick and on the one occasion. What are your thoughts going into tomorrow's match or the next day's match about coming up against him again?
ROGER FEDERER: I'm happy it's not on the birthday of my boys, because I miss being with them. I had to waste a match point and lose that match. I was like, What a waste. I always go to Madrid. That's how I felt.

I'm happy my family is here. It's not anybody's birthday, and I could just focus on playing tennis. I'm playing in more normal conditions, because Madrid plays very different, super fast. I had my chances. I think I was even up a set and a break even, if I'm not mistaken.

But, you know, I'm looking forward to it. I don't know what to tell you. He's a great player, he played great again today. He played good against Zverev, as well. He had a good Acapulco.

So it's really going to be interesting if we play day or night. I don't know how that plays into the matchup. Of course I'd like to get him back.

Q. You keep saying that you're on the comeback.
ROGER FEDERER: Till April.

Q. What's missing that you...
ROGER FEDERER: Time. I'm playing through different continents. I played in Australia, played in the Middle East. Now I'm playing here.

And once this is done, to me, completely, the comeback is complete by April. That's how I saw it in November, and I will stick to that.

But nothing's changed. Just because I won Australia -- I'm definitely ahead of schedule. I have had no setbacks. This is a tough surface for the body, because you can change direction on a dime. So this is the ultimate test, if you like, playing here in Indian Wells and Miami.

I'm very pleased how my body has pulled up, and it's great to see that I'm playing as well as I am. I didn't expect it, because I was tired still in Dubai. I think that had something to do definitely with Australia still and healing the injury that I had.

I got the energy back and the spark is back in my legs and in my game. I'm playing good, so I'm very happy.

vrazkar
vrazkar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:48 am

Good presser. Some interesting details from Roger. Thanks, vrazkar!
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 QF - W/O Interview - Video & Transcript

Post by vrazkar Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:02 am

Video and transcript of the interview with Roger after the QF W/O

Transcript: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=128357

March 17, 2017

Roger Federer

Indian Wells, California

A flash interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

Q. Have you been in that position before where you had to pull out so quickly?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, a year ago I was in Miami and feeling sick and couldn't play against Del Potro. I think when you're injured it's easier, almost, because you know you can't play. Whereas when you're sick, you might feel like you could, but sometimes you've just lost so much energy overnight and you're not feeling well.

I don't think himself, he quite knows how ill he is and what's going on. He wants to be safe right now, and I understand that. It's tough for the player, and it's tough for the fans, tough for the opponent. I mean, I'm the last guy complaining because I'm moving on.

Overall, it's a tricky situation, and sports is like that. I think the fans know it. That's why I came out to explain ourselves. Tennis goes on, you know.

I wish him, of course, good health now.

Q. What does this do for your preparation for the semis now? Does it make it any easier? Will you do more practice or what?
ROGER FEDERER: I was actually warming up this morning here on this court, and then when I came back to the locker room I found out. I might go back to the practice courts and speak to the coach later on. First just get all the obligations done that I wanted to do and have to do.

So going out for lunch later on and can relax and spend time with the family.

Q. That was a nice treat to the fans earlier on. Tell us a little bit about how that song came about.
ROGER FEDERER: So we were in Australia, at the Australian Open, and we had one of the off days and were hanging out with Tommy and Grigor and David Foster, and we were sort of, like, let's just have fun, let's play some music. He said, Why don't you guys sing along?

I actually didn't know the lyrics very well, so we were reading on the iPhone. And next thing you know, it's like, This is too funny not to put it on social media.

So we put it out there. People had a blast over it, laughed at us, and I thought it was great.

As we regrouped here, got together in Indian Wells again, we thought we could do it again, but this time kind of on a playback, making the boys actually sound nice and better and not cats and dogs singing, like in Australia.

Now it sounds somewhat okay, but still it's so bad. Yet I think it's actually so good.
vrazkar
vrazkar

Back to top Go down

Normal IW 2017 SF - Presser Video & Transcript

Post by vrazkar Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 am

Presser after SF

Transcript: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=128435

March 18, 2017

Roger Federer

Indian Wells, California

R. FEDERER/J. Sock

6-1, 7-6

Q. Looked to me like you played your normal spectacular first set and started living on your second serve in the second set.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah (smiling). Yeah, it's a good explanation, maybe. I think I definitely played great in the first set. Came out and really saw the ball well. I think Jack didn't have his best first set, but, you know, I found a way to take advantage of that quickly, hardly made any mistakes and was able to press.

The second set was more like what I expected the first set to be, to be quite honest, before the match. It was hard to break and return well off Jack's heavy serve.

Then just maybe see if there was an opening that never really came. I maybe dropped my level just a bit, as well, as he lifted his.

And then in the second set, like you said, I had to rely a lot on my second serve. I'm happy it was there, because I didn't serve particularly well in that second set. Things got a bit more complicated, but it was definitely a good feeling to get through in two sets and to be back in another finals here.

Q. Looking ahead to Stan, what makes him such a good matchup for you, especially on hard courts?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I'm not sure if it's a good matchup. I mean, I have maybe a good head-to-head and a lot of those matches or a few of those matches come early when I was the overwhelming favorite when I was maybe still world No. 1 and he was 30 in the world and his game was based heavily on the clay courts. Snuck in a lot of victories there maybe in the beginning.

In recent times, I thought we played a lot of close matches, and he was also able to dominate me over a set or two sets, maybe, on the faster courts, maybe Wimbledon, maybe in other places, here as well, indoors as well he's done it.

So I don't see it per se as a huge advantage. I think he's cleaned up his game really nice on the faster court. He's the reigning US Open champ and back in his first American tournament. He's back playing. It shows that wasn't a surprise, you know, that he won the US Open.

And I think he does a really nice job of, you know, defending and then creating -- going from defense to offense, you know. He's improved his serve. Especially as he goes deeper in the tournament, you know, confidence builds. That's when he's harder to stop.

You know, I have variation. I have an offensive mindset that's in my DNA. And sometimes for a player like Stan, he likes to have a bit more time and I can maybe rush him.

But we'll see if that's possible tomorrow.

Q. Do you already know what will be your schedule on clay? With the ranking, will it change a bit because you're having such a great start of the season that the ranking could be maybe sooner, quicker, as good as you want it to be?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, no. I don't know what my clay court schedule is until after Miami. That will stay this way regardless of how this tournament goes. And Miami, for the time being, rankings are completely secondary to me.

So if I take a decision after Miami, yeah, it's basically of, you know, looking ahead, how can I remain healthy and how can I keep the fire and the motivation for the tournaments that I will be playing.

What I don't want to do is overplay and just get tired of traveling and tired of just playing tournaments and just entering and, I don't know, just doing people a favor just to be there with no aspirations. That's not why I'm playing.

I want to play, if people see me, that they see the real me and a guy who is so excited that he's there. So that's a promise I made to myself that if I play tournaments that's how my mindset has to be and will be.

So, yeah, we'll see after Miami.

Q. Having said that, rankings follow-up question. Andy Murray is missing Miami.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, surprised to hear that.

Q. And Novak back in Monte-Carlo. Wonder whether you think you have a shot at being No. 1 by the end of the year?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, because I'm not going to be playing so much, you know, you would think I would need to win probably another Grand Slam for that to happen. Because I have one in the bag, I guess there is a possibility.

You know, plus I'm playing well here again, away from the Grand Slams. But the Grand Slams give so many points that that's probably where I would have to make a huge run again. And maybe one is not enough, as well, because they will pick up their level of play. They will pick up their game, and they're going to win tournaments again.

So, for me, just because Novak might not play Miami and Andy is not, and I'm in the finals here, it doesn't change anything in my scheduling.

Yeah, far away place, yeah, sure, I'd love to be world No. 1 again. But anything else other than world No. 1 for me is not interesting. So that's why the rankings is not a priority right now. It's totally about being healthy, enjoying the tournaments I'm playing and trying to win those.

Q. Obviously you have known Stan for a long, long time. Could you take a minute and go back to the very beginning when you first met him years ago, what your first recollections were?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, we played -- I remember we practiced in Biel at the National Tennis Center. I had hardly heard of Stan, and they said he's a good junior from Lausanne who is happy to come and hit with you. Sure. Great.

He used to play from really far back. Powerful backhand. I was surprised how easy he was able to hang with me, because I think I might have been world No. 1 already at the time. So we didn't meet until sort of later on, because I think he was staying in Spain, as well. He was doing his own private thing.

So I really had heard very little about him. Didn't see him very much or never. So I was very impressed very quickly.

And then, of course, he came to Davis Cup to the semis with us as a team in 2003 to Melbourne, went there for, like, two weeks. That was a cool time because we were, like, eight players instead of just four. We took eight along and Stan was one of the guys who could come along. So I got to know Stan more and more through Davis Cup.

Yeah, we always got along very well. You know, I have been mighty impressed how he's made his game grow, because I thought forever he'd be just a clay court guy. But because of the mandatory plays you have to play in the Masters 1000s and all the hard courts and so forth, you actually will never see anymore just a true clay courter. You have to be able to play hard courts, and he showed how it can be done and through hard work what's possible.

I'm his No. 1 fan when it comes to his success and how he's been able to do it, because we work with the same fitness coach for many years now. So I know a lot what's going on in Stan's life and he knows a lot what's going on in mine. We always support one another.

So that was my beginning of Stan, just seeing him evolve and grow. And I was giving him a lot of advice until the time came where basically he needs no more advice, because he's his own man now. He knows what he's doing, which is a great evolution for him.

Q. You began this tournament obviously in one of the most difficult draws in recent memory and now you're through to the finals without dropping a set and, if I'm not mistaken, not even dropping serve. How does it feel to be so efficient here? Have you exceeded even your own expectations?
ROGER FEDERER: Yes, I have (laughter). I feel great. I forgot how tough the draw actually was. I got definitely lucky in the quarters against Kyrgios and not having to play against him because he was clearly playing very well.

Then again, that took care of my section of the draw with Steve Johnson and also especially with Rafa, put myself in the position to be in the quarters and see who comes through on the other section with Delpo and Novak and Nick and Zverev.

Yeah, look, sometimes you get lucky when you put yourself out there. I did. I'm able to keep going today which I'm very happy about. Next thing you know, from looking at that section of the draw as, like, a mountain to climb, next thing you know you're in the finals and flying.

It's very fascinating how quick can things can turn your way if you play well and you belive and you're having a good time.

I'm very pleased, and I hope I can play one more good match tomorrow.

Q. Tomorrow you will play in the final and you have already won 89 tournaments. I was wondering is there a 100 wins mark or the 109 Connors record anywhere on your radar in terms of your legacy you want to achieve?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, not really. It's not a goal of mine per se to play until I reach 100 or something like that. Could be. It's a nice goal to have.

But I think I'm still too early, you know, after the comeback. You know, I was just happy to be feeling healthy again at the end of last year. So when I set myself the goals was to play, you know, through Miami and see how I feel, sort of three, four months into the season. So I couldn't think of, you know, reaching 100 titles. I was just happy to be playing another 10 events maybe.

So here I am going strong now, and reached 89, so clearly could reach 90 tomorrow. That could be a huge milestone for me and my team.

But, you know, that stuff can change. Ask me again in three to six months, you know, how I'm feeling, if I won any more or not. Things are going very well right now.

Q. I will.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. (Smiling).

Q. I have asked a couple of players about the mental side of the game and if it's born in you or if you can learn it. If there are ever moments when things are going a little bit shaky on the mental side as far as yourself and generally on that topic. What are your thoughts? What would you do? Do you think it's born or you can learn it, the mental strength?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I think there is definitely players who it is easier for to play the big stage and playing against the best players. So you have that side.

Then you have the other side, guys who just, for them, practice is super easy. You have those guys.

And then you have the guys who it doesn't matter what tournament it is, what round it is, they just get it done, you know. They have always the same mindset, same intensity. Whereas the other guy who is maybe the big match player, he struggles to play on the outside courts. He might struggle in practice, and he struggles on different continents or in different places or when he's not at home.

I believe everybody is born with some strength. Where? Only the player knows. And then the rest you have to work at it, because there is always a big percentage that doesn't come naturally, and you have to find your way and find your confidence, if you like.

And you have to make your experience. At the end of the day, you have to, and only then you become a complete player. That's why players need time in the beginning.
vrazkar
vrazkar

Back to top Go down

Post by vrazkar Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Cromar wrote:

Good presser. Some interesting details from Roger. Thanks, vrazkar!
My pleasure, Cromar! Smile
vrazkar
vrazkar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum