Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shanghai & Basel 2017 Press Conferences

4 posters

Go down

Normal Shanghai & Basel 2017 Press Conferences

Post by Cromar Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:21 am

Shanghai 2017 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference

Summary of his pre-tournament press conference (See video and full transcript below).

HOME SWEET HOME FOR ROGER

October 9th, 2017 - shanghairolexmasters.com - Features

Ahead of his first match at the 2017 Shanghai Rolex Masters, Roger Federer announced his intentions to walk away with his second trophy from QiZhong Stadium. The 19-time winner of majors said that his focus was not on catching Rafael Nadal for the top spot but was “right here, right now on Shanghai. Nothing else”.

Playing his first Tour event since the quarters of the US Open where he was hampered by a back injury, Federer said his training has been geared towards performing well this week. Federer arrived in Shanghai on Thursday night, as early as he’s ever been here.

“(I) have been practicing for hours on the center court,” he said. “Have been kept busy, as well, which gets me into the right mindset, to be quite honest, because I’m here for a reason, here for a purpose, trying to do well, hopefully winning the tournament.

“It’s definitely one of the goals of the season for me here, this tournament. I always make it as a priority that I will be in good shape for Shanghai.”

Immensely popular in China, Federer is happy to be back after missing last year’s tournament with injury. He added: “Maybe some fans here in China or Shanghai thought I might never come back. I never thought this way, but now that I’m here I feel fans are really, really excited to see me.

“They are always there at my practice, they were there at the airport, they were there when I’m leaving from the airport: they are at any event almost I’m doing to get a glimpse of me which is very cool.”

Federer calls Shanghai his “second home away from home”, having opened the Qi Zhong Stadium here back in 2005. This year, Federer’s been making the most of his trip to Shanghai, having been spotted at an NBA game and even getting a metro line dedicated to him.

Fun and games aside, the 36-year-old says his focus is different compared to his younger years. “It’s short now. It’s compressed. So it’s week by week, and just try to do your absolute best. I have played extremely well this part of the season, but, you know, every year is different,” he said.

Despite owning 93 titles, putting him third on the all-time list behind Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl, Federer says he’s far from done for the year despite having one of his best seasons ever: “I’d like to win a couple of tournaments. That’s the goal. But we’ll see how it goes. It all starts here on Wednesday,” he said.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Shanghai & Basel 2017 Press Conferences

Post by Cromar Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Shanghai 2017 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference

Monday, 9 October 2017

> Roger Federer Full Press Conference (Pre-)Shanghai Masters 2017

> TRANSCRIPT – ROGER FEDERER  

Shanghai Rolex Masters
Monday, 9 October 2017
Roger Federer
Press Conference

Q. About six months ago I asked you how big is the 100 tournament target in your expectation of legacy. You said, I don’t know, it depends how the season goes, ask me in six months. Now it’s six months later, and I’m asking you again.

ROGER FEDERER: Okay. I’m not thinking about it, because to win tournaments is not an easy thing to do. I came to realize that obviously last year, as well, again.

I’m playing mostly, you know, only the big tournaments now, so you need to be really tip-top shape and ready to go, and it’s just not so simple. Look, I’m not that far away, it seems like. Until I’m there, there is no point to really think about it on a daily basis. This is something that’s either going to happen or not going to happen.

I couldn’t be happier with the season, to be quite honest. I’m relieved that I’m feeling better since the American summer, you know, and Canada. Just happy being here now and hopefully to play a good season. It would be nice to pick up one more title, maybe a couple more, would be nice, and then get into training and start again next year and then get more chances next year.

Q. How do you feel coming into this last stretch of the season? It’s been a lot of matches, many emotions and also with the back at the US Open. Do you feel completely fresh again to end this one?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I had good practice after the Laver Cup. I played well there. And then came early to Tokyo and here since Thursday night. I have arrived as early as ever here in Shanghai for the tournament, and, you know, have been practicing for hours on the center court. Have been kept busy, as well, which gets me into the right mindset, to be quite honest, because I’m here for a reason, here for a purpose, trying to do well, hopefully winning the tournament.

It’s definitely one of the goals of the season for me here, this tournament. I always make it as a priority that I will be in good shape for Shanghai, and then the rest sort of takes care of itself after that: Basel, the indoor season, and London.

I’m happy I’m here and happy I’m healthy. So that’s good.

Q. It’s been two years since you were in Shanghai last time. What do you feel it stays the same, and what do you feel different in Shanghai? And tell us about the experience with your Metro this morning. Whose idea was it?

ROGER FEDERER: I couldn’t tell you if there is 5 more buildings in the city or 150 since the two years ago that I was here. But, you know, like any other event, you know, two years later, the tournament is a bit better. It could be subtle changes. It could be within the organization. Things, you know, are working a bit smoother.

Looking forward to seeing my fans when I’m playing, of course. I think the fan support I’m getting this year is maybe even the best I have seen so far. I was just thinking the other day that a year and a half ago when I said I was not going to play for the rest of the season anymore and I was going to miss the tournament here, maybe some fans here in China or Shanghai felt I might never come back.

It’s true, actually, I never thought this way, but now that I’m here I feel fans are really, really excited to see me. That’s not a big change or a change, but it’s just, like, I feel a sense of relief and really happiness from their side, which is a really good feeling to have. They are always there at my practice, they were there at the airport, they were there when I’m leaving from the airport, they are at any event almost I’m doing to get a glimpse of me, which is very cool.

And the Metro experience was a great one. I grew up on public transport when I was younger in Switzerland. I used to take either tram, train, or bus to practice on a daily basis, and then also a lot of the train until about 20 years old, going to tournaments even to Italy, even internationally. So for me it’s something very normal.

With the tournament, we looked at a way to, you know, something I haven’t done really before. We have wanted to do it once as well in New York to go in the subway and stuff, but it ended up never happening, and during the tournament it’s kind of difficult to organize. And because I have been coming here for so long, you know, I almost consider it my second home away from home, because I opened the stadium here, and I just feel very welcome here, that experience the way the people do experience it. It’s nice to be in a beautiful car and everything, but it’s nice to go do that.

So the idea really came from Tony and the tournament, but I have had that idea in the past in other cities. It was a great experience. I enjoyed it. Super clean, swift, easy. I mean, 600 kilometers of Metro ways here in Shanghai, it’s very impressive, I think the biggest in the world. It was great to see it, to say the least.

Q. China has never had one top 100 male player, and finally we have a junior world No. 1. He lost to Gilles Simon yesterday. I’m wondering if you have watched him a little bit, and could you tell us, what’s the crucial thing from junior to pro?

ROGER FEDERER: I maybe saw two points from him yesterday, so it would be wrong for me to comment on his game yet, but I was aware that he did win the US Open. Didn’t know he became world No. 1 junior. So if that’s what he is at the moment, I hope he can finish that for himself at the end of the year. Maybe he’s going to the Orange Bowl. I’m not sure.

It’s definitely a great starting point. For him to play in a tournament like this and starting to play against the best, that’s what I did in ’98, as well. I played some juniors and then got some wildcards into some main draws, played some quallies, played some challengers. And you get a feel for it, the week in, week out, playing against men, really. It’s a different energy you need, a different experience you need.

So I think here now it’s about improving every single day. It sounds a bit crazy or a bit kitsch. But it really is like this. I think at this age you see things that maybe other players are doing on the court, off the court, and you can observe and learn.

So I think that’s really important of him. And then for him to choose the right things to take on board for his game and for his life, because you can also look at the wrong things that players are doing, you know. That can then mislead you sometimes in the wrong direction, so this is where the team is really important where they remind you, as well, what’s the difference between right and wrong.

And then just understanding where is your game best at. Is it indoors, is it hard carts, clay court, grass court, is it in Europe, in Asia? Where does he play his best? And finding that out takes a few years. Everything goes faster if you have the right team around yourself. And of course you have to listen to your coaches and parents and put your head down and work extremely hard and just enjoy the process doing that.

Q. You talk about the Metro being a normal experience and everything. When you’re not at a tournament and just living life and everything, can you do those kind of normal things, like regular people, or is it just even too hard?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, in Switzerland I could definitely do it. The thing is I’m always just in the car because I love driving my own cars, to be honest. That’s why I drive probably — at 40% of the tournaments I drive myself, Australia, Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati, Basel. You name it. There are so many tournaments. Stuttgart, I drove all myself. I like that.

And then I don’t always need public transport anymore, but sometimes I jump on the tram or on the bus or on the train with my kids real quick. It does happen sometimes. In Switzerland I know can I do it. In other countries where I’m not that experienced and I don’t quite know the routes, I’d rather just take the car naturally. But I can still do it (smiling).

Q. I don’t know if yesterday you had the chance to see the Beijing final, but my question —
ROGER FEDERER: No, I didn’t see it.

Q. Are you surprising the fact that Rafa keeps even winning on hard courts?

ROGER FEDERER: No, not really. If you win — I mean, he played the finals of the Australian Open. That’s not losing in the first round. So I think he made his point already early in the season that he can play on hard courts, and I think he showed that 15 years ago that he can play well on hard courts.

The problem for him is he won 10 French Opens, so people just think, maybe yourself too, maybe you think he cannot play on hard courts because he won too many French Opens. But we all know, the players, that he’s very good on hard courts and he can even play on fast hard courts. He’s just that good of a player. So I’m not surprised at all. I’m happy for him. Great week in Laver Cup we had together. Doubles was so much fun.

And it’s nice to see him keeping going, because this is, I think, a really big win for him, because he’s just won the US Open, played the Laver Cup, was kept extremely busy, from what I was told by him, the week after the US Open, the week after the Laver Cup. So for him to go to Beijing and win it right away — I expected him to pull out, to be honest, just because why not? And just come here to Shanghai. Or maybe just skip Asia totally. You know, why not? There is no reason for him to push it too hard. But that’s Rafa. He’s a professional. He knows what he’s doing. And even when he’s doing it, he can win.

It’s a great win for him, and I will see him tonight, which is great. We have a Team Europe dinner, so that’s going to be fun.

Q. At the end of the US Open you said that you still had big priorities for the rest of the year. Beyond trying to finish the year strong, do you still set specific goals for yourself, like a particular aspect of your game?

ROGER FEDERER: About the game, not so much. It’s more about staying healthy, which then is going to naturally give me I hope the opportunity to compete for winning tournaments.

The focus really is right here, right now, on Shanghai and nothing else, you know. I’d like to think ahead to Basel, one of my favorite tournaments of the year, World Tour Finals. Paris, we’ll see what happens.

It’s short now. It’s compressed. So it’s week by week, and just try to do your absolute best. I have played extremely well this part of the season, but, you know, every year is different. I haven’t played end of the season last year, so I also don’t know quite what to expect. But I’d like to win a couple of tournaments. That’s the goal. But we’ll see how it goes. It all starts here on Wednesday.

Q. Talk about world No. 1, because Rafa just won yesterday. Seems like you’re farther away from that position.
ROGER FEDERER: It seems or you’re sure?

Q. I’m not sure, but…
ROGER FEDERER: You are sure. I’m sure, too. And it’s okay.

Q. And it sounds like if Rafa pulled out of Asia you’d have a better chance.
ROGER FEDERER: Yes, but it wouldn’t be the same without him.

Q. Yeah. Talk about that, how you eye that goal for this year, year end.

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, like I said after the US Open, after I lost, you know, whatever, Rafa was going to do, it didn’t change my schedule. I can’t play more than I’m already playing. I can only control my draw. I can’t control how well he’s playing.

Because he’s playing so well, it’s going to make things more difficult, but after he won the US Open, clearly — that was not the goal. The goal was always to stay healthy and stay in the chase possibly, you know, but I know that if I want to finish world No. 1 I’ve got to win here and World Tour Finals and Paris and Basel, whatever it may be. It becomes more and more unlikely, which is totally fine, because I never entered this season with the goal being world No. 1.

It was really unfortunate for me that I hurt myself in Montreal, because then that would have been a cool race maybe going on in Cincinnati, even if I would have lost, and then into the US Open feeling better.

Unfortunately, it never happened. So I was kind of close, but not really because I was hurt. It’s all good, you know. I’m just going to plan well, just going to try to have a strong finish to the season and see what happens, but clearly I’m aware it’s highly unlikely at this point.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 pm

^^^ on the last question, Roger feels like we do. The back screwed everything up when it comes to the battle for #1. Had he not hurt himself, Cincy and the USO would have been different. One back tweak and it all goes south. *sigh*
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm

To be honest, whatever I tell myself, I feel a pang about it. I am glad for oldfan and other loyal and ardent Roger fans that he went to Montreal but otherwise I truly don't see how it made sense. Why oh why did he not just go to Cincy straight?? Ah well. We shall see how it all unfolds.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:52 am

Same for me...
But life goes on, and there's nothing we can do about it anyway.

And I must admit that I can't wait for an eventual fight against Nadal at the WTF in London... Hee hee
(and he probably will have already beaten him in Bâle... :lol!Smile

Back to top Go down

Normal Shanghai 2017 - R2 (vs. Diego Schwartzman) Press Conference

Post by Cromar Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Shanghai 2017 - R2 Press Conference

Roger answering a question about the support he received from a huge cheering group of fans during his first match in Shanghai

TRANSCRIPT – ROGER FEDERER  

Shanghai & Basel 2017 Press Conferences Tumblr_oxokpxi5Ql1sso0u9o1_1280

Wednesday, 11 October 2017

R. FEDERER/D. Schwartzman 7-6, 6-4

Q. So glad to see you back again in Shanghai. A question about the cheer group that you saw facing you. I spoke to some of those leaders, cheereleader group. There were about 200 people. It took them a lot of effort to make these huge flags. Actually, they told me they were a little bit scared that if they wave it or cheer so loud it could interrupt your thought of the match and stuff.

ROGER FEDERER: No.

Q. I want to know how you feel about it, just how you feel about it.

ROGER FEDERER: Look, it feels great to get support. I have played in so many different atmospheres around the world. I feel like I can handle anything.

Plus, if they are on my side, you know, and cheering for me, I feel it only helps me. I thought the flag was awesome. It was great. It was big. They were all just the same, all had the same banners.

You can tell that there was a lot of effort put into it. Also tried to sit all together. I think that’s a lot of fun for me, as a player, to see that, because usually you only see that with sort of soccer clubs or team sports. Individual sports, for fans to get together, is rare.

I appreciate that and really enjoyed myself seeing that today. It was great. Thank you.

Q. Talk a little bit about the match. Obviously no surprise, Diego obviously gave you some problems there. Just talk about that.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, tough match. You know, I knew going in it was not going to be easy. He’s had a great run in recent weeks and months. I really felt that he was confident, you know. Shaking off misses, no problem. He was serving well. You could see he was taking the right decisions, you know, on his groundstrokes.

And as an opponent, you feel that. You could see there was a sort of an ease about his game today. I felt like that was going to be dangerous down the stretch of any set. I felt that tiebreaker was tough. I was down and then came up with some really good shot-making after that in the breaker to really turn it around.

But I think I served well. I had good concentration. Had good energy, as well, which I think is always important early on in a tournament. I think getting the break early in the second set gave me the chance to try a few more things, play more relaxed, go for my shots more, and then I was able to bring it home, you know, coming back from Love-30 I think in the last game.

So it was a good match for me. I’m actually very happy with my level.

Q. Rafa often talks about his later stage of a career recently.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, he’s probably being asked a lot about it. It’s not like he wants to talk about it.

Q. Actually, you’re qualified, as well, about that?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah.

Q. Have you realized that you guys kind of somehow redefine that later stage of a career?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I would think so. You’re right, actually. I haven’t thought about it so much. But a lot of guys were retiring between 29 and 32, so now it feels like most guys, you know, are going to retire probably between 31 and 35, it seems like.

But then again, every player needs to decide for themselves what the body can take, where your life’s at, do you have family, how much is the traveling bothering you? Prize money is only going up, so maybe that’s another incentive to also keep playing, as well.

I think players also staying healthy, healthier in the process, because we invest probably more into traveling with massage therapists and physios, do more rehabs. The tour provides us with better services, as well, at the tournaments. Traveling is easier today than maybe it was still 30 years ago. We can fly more direct today.

And all these things make it that we can play longer. And then if the best players in the world can lead the way, like Rafa, myself have, and Agassi and others, I think that inspires the next generation to maybe try to do the same, at least.

Q. I know you’re business-minded, but how have you seen the support develop in Asia and specifically China since your first visit here? And I suppose your thoughts on the potential of tennis in China.

ROGER FEDERER: Honestly, it’s hard for me to give you my views on how development is working out here. I’ve never been to the National Tennis Center here or in Japan or in any other country, really, for that matter, so I don’t exactly know what work they are doing. It seems like at the moment the Chinese are definitely having more players than ever, you know, after 100 down to, I’m not sure, 500, 1000, I’m not sure. I think there is a broader spectrum of players playing in that region now, which I think is already a beginning.

It seems like the US Open junior champ is probably going to make a run into the top 100 for the first time or maybe top 50, and for that matter, from what I’m hearing, what his potential has got. And that would be a massive thing, inspiration for a lot of the young guys after that.

Same with Kei Nishikori breaking all records for a Japanese player. I think that’s great, as well. I think we do see more Asian players. Of course we don’t have Paradorn Srichaphan anymore from Thailand, but I think in the future we’ll see more Asian players coming through.

I just think tennis, as it’s not just an endurance sport where you can just go sort of after textbook “this is what you have to do to get to the top,” it’s more of a game. So I think you just need a lot of numbers, and then you need the passion and the right coaching. And of course bringing in international coaches here is always going to be a challenge because of the language. Being able to speak to the players is maybe going to be complicated.

Nevertheless, I think having big tournaments like Shanghai Rolex Masters here is hopefully going to strengthen the future of Asian tennis, really. I have been a big believer in this continent. I mean, why wouldn’t you be with that many people in one place?

I hope for the best for this part of the world. Then the ladies, obviously here in China, have led the way, as well, in a big way.

Q. Talking about tennis and population itself, really, Rafa talked about actually going to use his influence to keep pushing his school here, academy, so forth. Down the line, given your international influence, not to mention your popularity and everything, would you ever think about doing something similar or doing something like that to really give Chinese tennis a great push, as well?

ROGER FEDERER: For the time being, as I don’t have an academy, I’m very happy supporting Rafa’s academy or other guys’ academy, because I know a lot of passion and energy and effort goes into it to upkeep an academy. I think Juan Carlos Ferrer has one and other guys in Barcelona, Sweden, a lot of academies I know of. They are all doing really good work.

I’m maybe going to be the guy who is going to be more supportive of their academies, because starting my own, I just struggle to see it, you know, because I don’t want to compete with the Swiss Tennis Federation, because that’s where I came through. I profited a lot from them. They were always wonderful to me. So starting something in Switzerland, I don’t see myself doing that.

But I want to help the juniors coming through in the future. I can totally see myself helping there. But then internationally, I feel like I would have to be there, and I’m not sure — I don’t have the picture. I have been asked a lot about it to start academies around the world in certain places, but so far I just haven’t really wrapped my head around it to see myself doing that. Of course I hope to help tennis in some shape or form but maybe not through an academy. I don’t know.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Shanghai 2017 - R3 (vs Alexandr Dolgopolov) Press Conference

Post by Cromar Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:50 pm

Shanghai 2017 - R3 Press Conference

Shanghai Rolex Masters
Thursday, 12 October 2017

R. FEDERER/A. Dolgopolov 6-4, 6-2

Q. Do you feel that on this match you got into the groove of things better than the previous one, that you felt more rhythm?

ROGER FEDERER: Different match, you know. Dolgopolov takes bigger cuts at the ball, keeps the points shorter, has a bigger serve, so the points will never be quite the same.

I served very well today, 80% first serves. So when that happens, then the rallies are short there, too. So I think it was really a fast-court match. He was standing on the baseline or in the baseline on my serves, so that also changes things around a bit.

I felt good in the first match, I must tell you. So I felt, I think, the same. I think maybe the matchup was maybe a bit easier and I took my chances more. Had a better ratio of winning on the break points that I didn’t quite have against Schwartzman. That’s maybe the biggest difference of both matches, so I’m happy I was able to do better today on the break points.

Q. This year people are happy that you and Rafa win Grand Slams again and Big 4 era goes on. However, some people might worry the Big 4 era is too strong, is very hard to repeat and follow. Obviously ATP is doing good job promoting NextGen players, but do you have worry for the future after your generation?

ROGER FEDERER: Not really. I mean, there’s going to be a certain void, you know, when Rafa retires or Novak or myself or anybody of that stature who has been in the game for 15, 20 years and done great things and records and all that stuff, which we all have in our own ways.

Our fans, you know, hopefully will still follow tennis, or it’s going to be different for them or unfortunately they will leave tennis. You know, the new generation is going to bring in new fans. The wheel keeps turning. There is all the Masters 1000s every year, the 250s, 500s that keep moving on, same as the slams and the World Tour Finals. It’s going to create new players, new legends, new Hall of Famers. It’s always going to be fine, in my opinion, as long as we respect the legacy that the players have left behind, remember who have paved the way for us, and if we do it with class, you know, because I think our sport is very classy and I hope it’s always going to remain this way. So we will be fine there.

Sure, it’s going to be a change and then adjustment to be made, you know, because the chances are that we are going to retire, you know, somewhat around the same five-year period, so it’s going to be different after, that’s for sure. But not worse, in my opinion.

Q. A lot of people say that I look like you.

ROGER FEDERER: Awesome.

Q. Can we get a selfie afterwards?

ROGER FEDERER: Tomorrow we’ll have somebody else, I’m sure (smiling).

Q. Seriously, so these quick matches, two two-set matches like today and yesterday and also the quick matches before you, I think that’s help your preparation for the next day, because I remember, you know, last time or couple years ago you were still here like 1:00 a.m. or something.

ROGER FEDERER: Right. No, I mean, I’m definitely sort of on time, on schedule, you know. I went to bed at 3:00 in the morning last night, so I don’t know if that’s great. Because I do have to drive back, I do have to have treatment. By the time you rest and you shut your eyes, it is late.

The good thing is I’ve got experience with these kind of things. But, sure, the short match helps the recovery the next day when you wake up, unlike the two five-setters I had at the US Open starting the tournament. It’s always a bit of a problem for the remainder of the tournament.

So this start now, it’s perfect, you know, like it’s not too late. I’ve got time till the next match tomorrow. I like playing Gasquet on fast courts, so I hope I can again put in a similar performance like today.

Q. Talk about the 1:00 a.m. in the morning, no matter it’s 1:00 a.m. in airport or 8:00 p.m. in the Nike lab, there are always hundreds of fans waiting you?

ROGER FEDERER: Hundreds of thousands, yeah (smiling).

Q. And also, nobody is supposed to know you practice indoor a few days ago, but we got your picture on social media. I’m wondering, do you sometimes, like, jeez, these guys really well informed as they know where to find me? Do you still have the surprise?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes. Yeah, there’s people everywhere I go. I don’t think there is a leak or anything, but it’s just how it is here. There’s just a lot of people in this country. So they tend to be there, or there is always people around somewhere in some place.

But, no, I enjoy the attention here, because I’m never here, so it’s 10 days of the year that it’s maybe a bit extreme. Plus my family is not here, so I care less that they’re there. Like I said, it’s actually quite enjoyable to see so much support and so much care by them, because they are very caring and very respectful. If I don’t have time to sign autographs or take pictures, they understand. If I find it dangerous for them, I won’t do it, they get it. They are very understanding, and it’s nice to have those kind of fans, I must admit.

Q. You said you like Shanghai very much. When you come to Shanghai, which scenic spot you want to visit? What food you like to eat most?

ROGER FEDERER: I like to go to all kinds of different restaurants. Now that the tournament has started, I’m just eating the pizza contest situation at the restaurant (smiling).

But, no, kidding aside, I can’t go for dinner now anymore. It’s way too late. But I try to always go to some different restaurants or go back to some old classics I have enjoyed over the years in the city.

Of course I like The Bund. Never looks the same, in a way, you know, the water, the boats moving around. I like it, the lights at night. During the day it’s different again. If it’s sunshine or cloudy, I always like to have the view to The Bund or go visit there.

This year I have been quite busy, to be quite honest. I arrived very early, but I had a lot of things I had to do, so I couldn’t quite get around as much as I was hoping to. I have, in the past, I went to Art District or Xintiandi, and different places, so I have always tried every year to do something.

This year it’s been more total focus on just being match-ready and making sure I get my stuff done and I’m well prepared and rested once the tournament gets underway.

Q. You have been coming here many years and you have seen the way that China has tried to bring itself in line as a tennis nation. You can’t knock what they do in terms of the tournaments and the facilities, but almost as long as you have been playing, they have been trying to bring through a male player. Now they potentially have one in the boy that won the US Open.

ROGER FEDERER: Right.

Q. Can you imagine what kind of pressure he will be under?

ROGER FEDERER: Probably not (smiling). Because I come from a country that’s sort of laid back, I would think. We believe in education and then sport comes at some stage; whereas here it opens all possibilities, you know, if you’re good in sports.

I’m not sure how the press is. You have to ask your friend over here how press is towards the athletes here, if they allow them to work or if they make them stars way too soon like it happens in some other countries. France, an example, I think they make their players too big too soon, and then they become a bit, I don’t want to say “spoiled, but a bit too happy too soon rather than finishing their development at every stage throughout.

So I’m not sure about that. But I also have to tell I think any junior feels pressure. When you go out there and you know that you’re trying to hang with the guys or with the men, it’s a different vibe than in the junior locker room. It’s more competitive. You’re playing for money, playing for points, playing for rankings. You’re trying to move up, you’re trying to establish yourself, and that always creates pressure. I almost don’t — I think it doesn’t matter almost the background.

Murray has had a ton of pressure, if you think about it, and he was able to manage it in sort of an easy way. Okay, you could argue that he was also struggling at times with having Wimbledon in his backyard, but somehow, if you’re good enough, you get it done somehow, because you have enough opportunities to play away from China, in Wu’s situation, or Andy’s situation. He can go play in Bangkok or Basel where it’s not the attention quite like home.

You feel, as a player, you can get away from it all at times. I think just as important is that you don’t get carried away too soon as a player and you really want to try to become the best player you can become and not just be happy to be famous for winning something in the juniors or winning a few matches on the tour.

Q. You say you like The Bund very much. And do you know the housing price of Shanghai? Maybe it’s one of the most expensive of the world. Will you have idea to buy a house in Shanghai?

ROGER FEDERER: I have no plans yet (smiling). And I probably won’t. I’m not here enough. They have great hotels here, and I think hotels work perfectly for me at the moment.

Q. You can guess price of Shanghai’s house? Guess?

ROGER FEDERER: I can guess?

Q. Yeah, you can guess.

ROGER FEDERER: Too much, probably, like in every big city around the world. These big cities have a way to have very high prices (smiling).
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Shanghai 2017 - QF (vs Richard Gasquet) Press Conference

Post by Cromar Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:50 am

Shanghai 2017 - QF Press Conference

Shanghai Rolex Masters
Friday, 13 October 2017

R. FEDERER/R. Gasquet  7-5, 6-4

Q. It’s been decided on a few points. First set, 15-30. At 4-5, what did you feel on the court today?

ROGER FEDERER: I felt good. Like you said, I thought it was a really good match. Some big points, important shots at the right time for both guys sometimes to stay even, and we both created chances. Both used our chances sometimes, you know, like the break and rebreak in the second set.

I thought we were able to keep up the level from the beginning till the very end. Even the roof was open today. Conditions felt a bit cooler and a bit slower maybe, and that allowed us to maybe hit bigger. I’m not sure.

But I enjoyed it, you know, because it was slices and topspins and angles and power and finesse. I think the match had a bit of everything.

Q. Why receive?

ROGER FEDERER: Why not?

Q. Usually you serve, right?

ROGER FEDERER: No. Just felt like I wanted to see his serve first. I was on the side where the wind was in my back, so I thought, you know, if he serves first and doesn’t get a good first game, against the wind it’s always tough to serve first, and I was hoping that was going to make a difference. It didn’t. Didn’t matter at the end, so…

Q. Is it a kind of an odd situation for you now? I’m sure you know that Juan Martin went to the hospital to have an MRI on his wrist.

ROGER FEDERER: I didn’t know that.

Q. Oh, yeah. He fell on the court.

ROGER FEDERER: Thanks for letting me know. It’s screwing me up now completely, but it’s all good. (Laughter.)

Q. Sorry about that. Does that make it kind of a strange…

ROGER FEDERER: Well, yes, now that I know. I mean, we all hope it’s precaution more than anything. What’s an MRI tell you? Gives you confirmation sometimes that something happened or not. At the end of the day, the pain you feel is the one that leads, especially in a situation like this where you don’t have time to rest, either you play or you don’t play.

So I hope for him that it’s nothing serious. Of course it’s on the wrist, as well, that he’s had problems in the past, so this is where, you know, he’s worried, rightfully so. For me, at the end of the day, nothing changes, you know. I’m ready to come out here tomorrow and see the match like it’s a revenge chance for the US Open, you know, where it was tight and I couldn’t win. So I see that more than his injury.

I did see the fall. I saw the match. It was a good match. Troicki played well. It was a tough break for him to get after that. That’s why he was so upset and so frustrated, Viktor. It was a tough one for him.

But I hope for now that Juan Martin can recover and we can play a normal match tomorrow.

Q. About what you said yesterday on French players and the press making them stars too early, Richard just told us that for him it was only his fault if he didn’t become No. 1 or win a Grand Slam. First, what do you think about it? Do you think French players such as Jo, Gaël, Richard, did as much as you guys, Rafa, Novak, Andy, and you to become champions?

ROGER FEDERER: I’m not sure if I understood correctly what Richard said, what he meant.

Q. (Off microphone.)
ROGER FEDERER: What I was saying is the media is not helpful in the process. Yeah, people put him on the cover of Tennis Magazine at 10, 12 years old. I don’t think that’s ideal. It’s cool, in a way, as any kid, but it ended up being Richard, and it changes the mindset from then on for somebody the way that people look at him. That’s not his mistake. It’s just how it is.

Every step along the way, there is much more media attention in France than maybe in any other country because you guys are tennis crazy. That’s why we love going there.

But you make the quarters of a tournament, and it’s, like, wow, amazing. In other countries you have to win, I don’t know how many tournaments, to get the same appreciation.

So it can be a hindrance. Yet it can also be a tailwind, you know, where you feel, jeez, I’m doing so well already, the press is loving it, my friends are loving it. Everybody is in euphoria. But I think if you analyze it all together, I don’t think it’s the best thing.

But you guys of big French newspapers, sports sections, you have to cover the tennis players, too. So it’s a tricky one, and that’s where I think the entourage is key in the player development to remind them, okay, you maybe made first page of the newspaper or the magazine or whatever it is, but it doesn’t change one thing of what we’re trying to achieve, you know.

A lot of people have to have the right mindset at the right time, and along the way, not everybody can be this way. People get carried away, and that’s unfortunate. But, look, everybody did really well. Everybody is having a great career. I don’t know how they work in the offseason. I don’t know what they do, you know, away from tennis, what they do on the road. It’s really hard for me to judge. Only they know if they are giving it all and more, you know.

I know I have tried my very best. I have made my mistakes early on, as well. I reacted. From the outside, Rafa looks like he’s done everything right. He won 10 French Opens, and he’s had a Hall of Fame career. But I’m sure also he thinks he could have maybe done things a bit different.

So I was more referring to the media than the player himself.

Q. Both of you have very beautiful backhand. There are actually four players among Top 10 play one-handed backhand, and also Denis Shapovalov coming up very strong. Ten years ago people think one-handed backhand is dying. How do you comment on its future?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, look, from moving now on forward we will see double-handed backhands predominantly, which is how I would teach my kids, as well, to play tennis. I think it’s just easier. Double-handed backhand, you can always fight a wrong position with the left hand, let’s say, if you’re a right-hander. You know, on the return it’s the same thing. You might have a little bit less reach, but you can also let go and still reach it.

I think a double-hander is the way to go, but I hope it’s not a dying breed, you know, like you said. I think it just looks nice, a one-handed backhand. You mentioned Thiem, Gasquet, Stan, they all look good, those one-handed backhands, especially if there is power and in defense it looks great. Grigor, same thing.

So it’s nice to see Denis also keeping that alive and same with Thiem and young guys coming up that it’s still going. But I think we will always be outnumbered from this point moving forward. Unfortunately Björn Borg had too big of an impact on this game. He just doesn’t know it sometimes (smiling).

Q. You played all your matches at 8:00 p.m. Is this a groove that you like, or is it tougher for sleep or recovery or not changing anything?

ROGER FEDERER: Look, it’s always good when you play more or less the same time in the same environment. The harder is if you go to day to night to day to night and you keep switching it up like this.

But if you’re going all night, it’s okay. 8:00 is late, to be honest, you know, like we explained in the beginning of the week. Getting back now, it’s 11:00 already. Probably by the time I’m able to sleep it’s going to be 3:00 in the morning. But, I mean, it’s okay. I’m, like, on a Swiss time zone, so actually the jet lag won’t be so severe when I come home. But I don’t care about the jet lag right now. I’m trying to play a good tournament.

So it’s late. If I could choose, I prefer to have, like, a 4:00 or a 6:00 slot here, just because of the commute is far. But the tournament asked me to play 8:00, and I’m okay with that, too. No problem.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Shanghai 2017 - SF and Final Press Conferences

Post by Cromar Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:05 am

Shanghai 2017 - SF Press Conference

Saturday, 14 October 2017

> ON-COURT INTERVIEW

Federer Reflects On SF Win Over Del Potro

Shanghai Rolex Masters
Saturday, 14 October 2017 (SF)

PRESS CONFERENCE

R. FEDERER/J. Del Potro 3-6, 6-3, 6-3

Q. That long game and that break, second set, do you think that was crucial to change the momentum of this match?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, for me it was. Clearly getting the break and then holding, I mean, it’s always key in tennis. So I’m happy I was able to do it, especially with all the twists and turns and, you know, blink at the wrong time, you know, he might hold the game and then you don’t know what’s going to happen next or I have to go through the breaker maybe, or because I’m with my back against the wall I might play a poorer game later on in the set.

I played a very clean second set. I had many more chances on the return. Hardly dropped points on my own serve. Probably was a bit better in that second set. And then it’s just important to somehow get it done. Sometimes you need the help of your opponent, and sometimes it needs to work out the way the point plays out.

Yeah, it was good energy out there on the court today, and I really tried to push myself after playing a bit of a subdued maybe first set, but Juan Martin didn’t allow me to play so much in that first set.

Q. Do you feel like you have a big disadvantage for tomorrow, considering Rafa finished hours ago?

ROGER FEDERER: Ah, no, not really. A huge one, not really. Maybe a tiny one. But not one that hopefully makes a difference (smiling).

Q. You chose to receive today, as well, after yesterday. Any particular reason?

ROGER FEDERER: Are we going to talk about these things now (smiling)?

No, I just, when I was asked, I was, like, oh, I prefer to return first. The roof was closed, so no excuses there about wind and stuff. Just felt like, you know, maybe for a big guy, to start first, sometimes it’s not your favorite thing to do.

But it didn’t work out. So next time maybe I will serve tomorrow against Rafa.

Q. 38th match with Rafa. Talk a little bit about – that’s a lot of matches, and they have been very competitive and whatever – what that’s meant in your career.

ROGER FEDERER: Ones to look back on, because most of those matches — I’m not sure what the stat is, but maybe half of them maybe in finals. That’s why I think the rivalry is so special. The way we both play, we play so very different from one another. Also, the attitude, the way we go through our lives, you know, it’s all very different in some ways.

Yeah, we have a similar mindset in the big moments. I came to realize that when we played doubles. There is no sense of urgency or panic, I don’t want to say ever, but, you know, you could tell we have been there many, many times before. He’s a great champ, and I enjoy playing against him, even though the head-to-head is maybe not in my favor. I think he’s definitely one of the guys that make me a better player. I don’t want to thank him for that, but he made me maybe rework my game and go back to the practice courts and think about what I could change maybe to become a better player.

I think for that I’m happy about the losses I took, you know. Took them on the chin and kept moving forward. It’s nice at this late stage of the career that we still have these matches going on.

Q. Juan Martin picked you as the likely winner of tomorrow’s final, largely because of the speed of the court. Can you talk a little about playing on this court and how it helps your game.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, look, margins are small. On fast courts it’s always, like I explained before about the break points, it’s got to sort of match up, you know, with — is Juan Martin going to serve so well on the big point that you can maybe almost do nothing about, or is he going to use the combo of the serve and forehands so perfectly that you just almost cannot come through, you know, even if you create so many chances.

And maybe tomorrow is the same thing. There is only going to be a few chances for either player, and sometimes it’s just who blinks, you know, at the wrong time.

So it makes it always a close match on faster courts. But for me it’s good. You know, the slice stays lower. I naturally play on the baseline. Maybe Rafa doesn’t have that many opportunities to go way, way back to return, even though he can also do it on hard courts and he’s the best ever to return from way back there.

So he almost has to play up on the baseline, but he’s been doing that almost perfectly here this week, you know. He’s maybe even surprised some of his opponents to play this good on the baseline and outplayed those guys.

So, I mean, look, he’s a great player on hard courts. On fast, as well. He wouldn’t have won Wimbledon otherwise. It’s going to be a tough one for me. I mean, I hope, of course, the service might help me a little bit. That would be nice, anyways.

Q. My question is being here we notice how much respect and love China and Shanghai brings, has towards you. How does that affect your stay here in Shanghai? Does it impact your game, as well, on court?

ROGER FEDERER: Makes me happy. Makes me feel welcome. It’s maybe also one of the reasons I will come back here to Shanghai or make this tournament a bigger priority, you know, if I feel like I’m really wanted to be seen here, and, like, when I show up I have hundreds of fans that show their colors and show their support.

It’s a great feeling, I must admit, you know, because I can only play so many tournaments in Switzerland. Maybe one a year. It’s nice to get crowd support away from home, as well. I think people have seen me a lot here in Shanghai because I’m the player who’s the only guy left from the 2002 Tennis Masters Cup way back when.

It’s always been nice to come here. Unfortunately I have missed a few also because of injury or because of a long season, but I’m happy I’m back again this year after missing last year. Of course I’m looking forward to coming back next year again.

Q. The last time you played Rafa in Shanghai is 2007. Compared to 10 years ago, how has your relationship with Rafa changed and evolved?

ROGER FEDERER: He looks different (smiling). He’s not wearing the croppy pants anymore and sleeveless shirts and stuff.

The relationship? We were cool way back when, you know. I remember I had to win my group, I think my last match, and if I won that, I knew I was going to play Rafa in the semis, so I could have avoided him by losing. But I wanted to win my group stage match, and that gave me the Rafa setup in the semis, which is tough, you know.

But, you know, I think we always got along very well. Always had a lot of respect for one another. He used to be more quiet and calmer and more shy way back when just because I had been on tour for almost 10 years at the time, and he was going through the motions with decision-making and all that stuff, especially at the ATP level that whatever Roger thinks, I’m his opinion, too. Then as time went by, you know, he had his own opinion, which I thought was great. His character grew and became more confident.

In the process, you know, our relationship became bigger, I guess, you know, because we had to — we had some arguments, we had some disagreements, but for the most part, it was always good, you know, and very nice.

I think especially the last few years have been a pleasure for us. You know, especially being injured, for me, as well, seeing what he had to go through. I could never really relate to injured players, to be quite honest, because I never really was that hurt like he was. I think the last year was a good reality check for me to maybe understand what he was going through so often.

And then of course, you know, I was always happy for him, especially down the stretch of his career, that he kept on winning and proved people wrong, like I was trying to do the same. And then we went to open the academy almost today on the day last year, which I know is very personal to him and very important. Especially with Laver Cup now, as well, the last year. It’s been great for both of us. I’m happy to call him a friend today.

Shanghai 2017 - Final Press Conference

Sunday, 15 October 2017

> ON-COURT INTERVIEW after winning his second Shanghai title and 27th Masters.

'Shocked' Roger Federer talks after brilliant win vs Nadal

> TRANSCRIPT: THE SINGLES CHAMPION ROGER FEDERER  

Shanghai Rolex Masters
Sunday, 15 October 2017 (Final)

PRESS CONFERENCE

R. FEDERER/R. Nadal 6-4, 6-3

Q. It’s been a long year, and after this you have a few tournaments to go, so how does your body feel right now?

ROGER FEDERER: I haven’t played — I mean, the year has been long, yes, but I haven’t played that much, to be honest.

The body is fine. I’m going to reassess everything after this week, after I come home to Switzerland tomorrow. So I will get together with my team and just come up with a plan. You know, set the priorities, see how my body feels tomorrow.

But so far I’m good. I’m happy I’m feeling this way. It’s been a tough week. Five straight matches is always a test and a challenge for anybody’s body, especially with the pressure rising, you know, throughout the event.

I’m happy I’m feeling this good right now, and, you know, we’ll see what’s up mid next week.

Q. Congrats. Did you expect it to be quite as smooth as it was? Talk a little bit about the match. You seemed to have it in control from the first game.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I don’t know what my expectations were going in. I thought I might struggle maybe a little bit early on because it was a late finish last night. Turnaround was fast, you know. Woke up, went straight into the car. Came over early to make sure I get, you know, the practice underway and enough time to get ready for the match.

I had no nerves really before the match, which was nice, you know. I wasn’t, you know, seeing things, you know, like — I don’t know, I don’t want to call it like a day dream or anything, but sometimes you visualize points and points and plays. I didn’t have that. I was, I think, pretty clear about how I wanted to play the match.

And then, you know, I came off, started off very well. Felt relaxed from then on. I always know that Rafa can come back at any moment if he connects well, picks the right sides, and does the right things. Even felt that way being up Love-40, you know, going for the double break, but, you know, I had a clear game plan and felt I was playing well all week. I think that settled my nerves, because I was returning well from the first match here I played against Schwartzman. The serve only got better. I guess I saved best for last. I played some good matches now against Del Potro, Set 2 and 3, and also now these two sets.

In a way, not surprising, because I did feel good all week, and it does pay off to arrive early to an event. You can’t do it all the time, but, you know, I was here since Thursday late night, and that’s five, six days to prepare for a Wednesday match. So I was ready.

Q. It was a privilege just to watch your game today. You said your preparation was good. Is that the best you have hit the ball for many months or years in terms of the way you struck the ball today?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, look, it was clean. I didn’t allow Rafa many chances on my service games. Obviously if you hold your serve, there’s no need to panic on the return games. You feel like you’re always going to get a shot maybe, maybe one service game of your opponent’s, one a set, and then you’ve just got to hope that you break at the right time.

Because I was so clear and so committed, I felt it was always going to be dangerous for Rafa down the stretch, especially breaking early and feeling as good as I did on the serve. So, I mean, it’s definitely been the best I felt since Wimbledon, you know. Montreal was tough to play. It was fast conditions. Anything after the Montreal was never the same with my back issues I had.

US Open was all a struggle, really. Laver Cup was good. I played some really good tennis there, but this was different because I was able to back up good performances, five in a row, so it reminded me a little bit of Wimbledon maybe to some extent.

Q. Rafa seemed to be limping when he came earlier. I wonder if you noticed anything except the tape he had on the knee during the match?

ROGER FEDERER: That’s all I noticed. I didn’t see any problems with him in defense, to be honest. You know, when the body goes cold after the game, it’s normal to, you know, feel it, you know. I know how it is. Sometimes when you are in a car for a long time where you sit for too long or stand for too long, whatever it is for too long, it’s not good for our bodies.

But in the match itself I thought he looked good. He looked fast. I didn’t see any problems, to be quite honest. I was surprised to see a tape, but I didn’t see any problems.

Q. You have managed to beat Rafa five times in a row for the first time in your career. What’s changed for you in the matchup? Why are you finding it easier against him than in the past?

ROGER FEDERER: I think I’m maybe serving consistently better, you know. I get easier power ever since I switched to the bigger racquet, the RF97. I feel I’m connecting better on the backhand and I’m serving good, and that consistently.

Before I had to slice more just because the racquet was good for the slice, and it was good for the coming over, but I would always shank too many balls, you know. So I think it was hard for me to consistently just keep on attacking with the backhand.

Today it seems almost not a problem anymore to do it. Plus I have done it in many other matches other than Rafa, you know. I return usually coming over and sometimes using the slice; whereas before it always a slice normally and sometimes coming over.

So because I have gotten used to returning that way, I think it’s also easier to play Rafa these days, and I just think I’m not so scarred like maybe I have been in the past, not that I was horribly scarred in any way, but I did lose against him sometimes, a lot of the times especially on the clay courts. I do believe I still lost that Wimbledon finals in ’08 because of the French Open beatdown he gave me. It just affected my first two sets when I played him at Wimbledon. Down 6-4, 6-4, and okay, I got lucky to win the third, but maybe if I don’t lose both first sets it might be a different match.

But, yeah, I think I have also played him well. Clearly avoiding him — not playing him on clay has helped. So I’m able to stay on the hard courts or on faster courts against him, but I have been playing very well when I have faced off against him.

But the Australian Open also I had to get a little lucky, to be quite honest, because it was on the edge there for a while.

Q. What’s the importance of being here in China, in Shanghai? How do you like it here? What’s the importance of it?

ROGER FEDERER: The importance? I don’t know. I think it’s great for junior tennis here and development for the game or for sports, you know, when the great athletes from around the World come to this country or maybe this city, as well.

It’s just always helpful, you know, because it gets put on Chinese TV. People talk about it. It’s in the press. It might inspire, you know, somebody at the top level to say, okay, let’s focus more on tennis maybe down the road.

So I think it’s a good thing. I personally enjoy my time here. I always look forward to it every year. Shanghai is a priority for me in my schedule. I always manage my schedule throughout the year that I can also peak during Shanghai, so it’s nice to be back, and having played so well, it’s great.

Q. Between that loss in New York and when you got to the Laver Cup, did you do anything differently to loosen the back, or was it a regular process? How did that come about that you are back feeling so well?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, to feel maybe better I would have needed another week. I played with what I had. I think with the two five-setters I had in the first two rounds, I just think that put a lot of strain on my body. I just could never play freely, to be honest.

Even though it got better against Kohlschreiber and Lopez, but then Delpo, the moment I hit somebody who was very tough, you start taking wrong decisions and you’re a little bit just — you question yourself, because you actually have been playing more with a body that’s not 100% than actually playing the opponent. Then you’re not free and you lose the set point instead of winning it. That makes a difference. The margins are that slim, to be honest.

So I took a week off. Hardly any treatment. Played half an hour of tennis with a friend of mine. Spent time with the family and my kids and everything.

And then once I came back to Switzerland, I started to get ready for the Laver Cup and actually felt good, you know, or not great but better, at least. That was a step in the right direction.

I was still a little bit concerned, you know, because I knew the matches were going to be extremely difficult from the start, which is always a challenge for the body, you know, when it gets going right away like that, against Querrey or Kyrgios, so I was happy I was able to survive singles, doubles, and all these things what we had going on on the Saturday and then also on the Sunday potentially.

So I think it gave me a lot of confidence, the Kyrgios match, to be honest, to be able to go through a two-hour match really physically strong.

What happened after is I went straight into training again on the next day, on Monday. When I thought about it, I thought, oh, I can’t believe I’m doing it. I called my fitness coach up, and he goes, So are you ready for tomorrow afternoon? I’m like, Oh, not really, but okay, I’ll do it, because that’s what we planned to do regardless of what happens at the Laver Cup.

I had a great week from Monday to Friday. I worked extremely hard and then started to take my time. Everything mellowed out, and I came here super early, and coming here early paid off, so I’m very happy and I feel really good right now.

Q. You played great tennis this season. So the schedule of next season, are you still going to quit all the clay season and include the French Open?

ROGER FEDERER: I don’t know yet. Hasn’t been decided.

Q. No plans?

ROGER FEDERER: No plans yet so far, no. I know I’m playing the Hopman Cup and the Australian Open. I know that.

Q. You said earlier in the week that year-ending No. 1 talk is premature, and…

ROGER FEDERER: When did I say that?

Q. I thought you said it on the first…

ROGER FEDERER: No, no, I didn’t hear what you said. I was somewhere else maybe. Yes, I probably said that, yes. (Smiling.)

Q. We kind of take notice of head-to-heads and everything like that. You still trail Rafa, even though you’ve won the last five, you still trail Rafa by quite a margin. Is that something that concerns you? Is that an ambition to pull that back and overtake him?

ROGER FEDERER: It’s not gonna happen. We don’t have enough years left on the tour, and we’re ranked too good that we play each other only in finals at the moment. It looks like that’s going to stay like this for a few months more. So can’t win them all against Rafa, to be honest. He’s too good of a player.

Whatever happened in the past has happened. I’m just happy I’m on the run that I am right now. I don’t know what it takes for year-end No. 1 for both of us.

It seems for me that he seems extremely close to clinching it. Like I said, I will I figure out my schedule, regardless of No. 1 or not, when I come home to Switzerland and figure that part out. No, it’s been a terrific season and didn’t overplay. Still have energy left. Like I said before the event, I’m happy it paid off again. Usually when I’m well prepared and I’m ready to go physically and mentally, good things do happen.

You know, I think myself also in the past or maybe other players in particular always think having to play enough is super, super important, but with me I have come to realize that if I’m ready, I’m ready. Doesn’t matter almost if I have played tournaments before, like in Australia.

I’m just excited I’m on a good stretch right now. Head-to-heads? Yeah, I mean, sure, I would like it to be different, but I have utmost respect for Rafa. It’s been a tough matchup for me, and I tried my best. I have played him a lot on clay in the beginning of my career. No problem. I tried. I was close on many occasions, but he’s better on clay. I try to win the other ones that I can, and this year has been great so I’m happy about it.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Basel 2017 - Pre-Tournament Interview

Post by fedled Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm

BASEL 2017 - Pre-Tournament Interview (Tennis TV)

> Roger Federer speaks ahead of Basel return

Here's a link to the Blick.ch page that also features the presser video in German. He's got a cough (as reported by telebasel) but says he's fine:  «Ich bin in guter Form, fühle mich bereit»  
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Normal Basel 2017 - R16 (vs Benoît Paire) Press Conference

Post by Cromar Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:57 pm

Basel 2017 - R16 Press Conference (multiliingual)

Swiss Indoors
Thursday, 26 October

Roger Federer vs Benoît Paire
6-1, 6-3

Source: Telebasel.ch
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Basel 2017 - QF (vs Adrian Mannarino) Press Conference

Post by Cromar Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Basel 2017 - QF Press Conference (multiliingual)

Swiss Indoors
Friday, 27 October

Roger Federer vs Adrian Mannarino
4-6, 6-1, 6-3

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Basel 2017 - SF (vs David Goffin) Press Conference

Post by Cromar Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Basel 2017 - SF Press Conference (multiliingual)

Swiss Indoors
Saturday, 28 October

Roger Federer vs David Goffin (ATP 10)
6:1 6:2

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Shanghai & Basel 2017 Press Conferences

Post by Cromar Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 am

Basel 2017 - FINAL Press Conference (multiliingual)

Swiss Indoors
Sunday, 29 October

Roger Federer defeated Juan Martin Del Potro to win his 8th Swiss Indoors Trophy.

6:7 6:4 6:3

- Addressing also why he decided to pull out of the Rolex Paris Masters (2nd question @ 2:05)

Del Potro Press Conference after his loss to Roger

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum