Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2019

+16
EvaJoya
federerworshipper
Kop8zky
schneewitchen
norinchi
Veerke
Marly 103-20
Cheadlebeagle
striker
inzigia
Steerpike60
HeartoftheMatter
oldfan
Sherl
Márcia
Cromar
20 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2019

Post by Cromar Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:26 am

MEMORIES... Fifteen years ago!

Roger became No. 1 for the first time on February 2, 2004, at the age of 22 ... Then in Rotterdam in February 2018, he regained the top of the ranking at the age of 36, becoming the oldest player to be ranked No. 1.

2 February 2004 - Australian Open

16 February 2018 - Rotterdam

Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Exhilarating, these pictures! The young Roger, what it must have meant to him, and the "agelesss" Roger, also what it means to him. Like these two pictures a lot!!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by inzigia Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:04 am

https://www.ibtimes.co.in/roger-federer-accused-fixing-opponents-twitters-shocking-reaction-controversy-791970

Can't say I'm surprised by that reaction, but how is that Roger's fault? Wish that tournament director worded his opinions more carefully . . .

inzigia

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:12 am

The tournament director acted as a fan. Very unhappy statement. But Roger has nothing to do with it.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:15 pm

^^^
In the article it said Roger is no1 seed. On the Forum I think someone said Kei will be no1 seed after making a final & will be no 6. Is that right?? Thanks. Too bad so much controversy!!! Facepalm
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:41 am

Oh, it sounded like an enamoured fan, and given the long history that Roger has, and the significance of Dubai where he trains, it really was the fan speaking. I just don't care for those people who of course right away tweet about preferential treatment and draws. How many terrible draws did Roger go through? And in 2017 AO he had to play 3 five setters, hard ones, to win? Oh, definitely something favourable to him there. Roger has always been there, never kept away, was a steady on the tournament. Only after his knee operation and injury had he missed any tournaments. And after a twenty year career--and more! ****Benneteau is a very good player, and I think that he wanted to achieve more. Sometimes the way things go it takes more than talent and skill. He almost defeated Roger at a Wimbledon match under the roof, and I think that must have left him disappointed, among other things. It is not Roger's fault: wherether how they match up, or how Benneateau plays other players goes beyond skill sometimes. It may have something to do with the spirit. That does not diminish Benneteau.
As for nasty posters who "of course" this preferential treatment, they are the same ones who said nasty things about him around and after 2008. It is the same bunch, the same tone, the same fans. It is a shame about them. But they won't force Roger out or take away his love of the game.
People wait for him to play. Roger who is generous to other tennis players, who bought a greater sense of camarederie to the tourney, and elevated the level of play, who helped bring about greater earnings for players especially in the early rounds so they were better able to keep up and keep in the game, did a lot for tennis.
People take what the director said literally. He was speaking in an admiring way of Federer, and hoping, that as the great champion, with a special connection to Dubai, will have a chance to win a landmark win. He has nothing to do with the draw.
Those who speak so quickly and so badly are no fans of tennis: tennis is a special sport, and it deserves respect where respect is due, rather than bringing it down to the level of cagefighting and cockfights.
Can't be true Can't be true Rolling Eyes Mad

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 am

inzigia wrote:https://www.ibtimes.co.in/roger-federer-accused-fixing-opponents-twitters-shocking-reaction-controversy-791970

Can't say I'm surprised by that reaction, but how is that Roger's fault? Wish that tournament director worded his opinions more carefully . . .
Yes, there is a special connection with Roger and Dubai, and that outpouring was not meant to indicate anything other than that, It's like when the commentators, for example, hope that a particular player, say Serena Williams, or Sock, or Tieafoe, gets a good draw so they can go deep into the tournament, or when they hope that one of the young players can break through and win a GS title.
So there is no getting up in arms for that, or when they call for Nadal or Djokovic, and so on, in similar, though not quite so enthused terms. But the idea is the same, in the sense that they want certain players to come through at times, and they say so, and whether it is because they are American or English speaking, or because they are among the youngest generation, it is very similar. How they built Zverev up, as the "next big thing" and he may well be, but they rushed. Some things take time.
So this exxagerated response is no excuse to talk like this about Roger. It is totally unfair to him. And yes, it is only the fans of particular players--and I am not speaking of Benneteau--who behave in such a nasty way with such lying comments.
So I am surprised, except for the fact that I know who those complainants and commentators are. We have seen it before, the same way, and in a more persistent way.
 I want to make sure, and the tennis world make sure, that it does not take away Roger's joy in playing.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheadlebeagle Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:34 pm

This is unfortunate but I'm sure this has happened to other big names in the past but the tournament director doesn't come out and say what this fellow has said. Mad

Cheadlebeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 pm

striker wrote:^^^
In the article it said Roger is no1 seed. On the Forum I think someone said Kei will be no1 seed after making a final & will be no 6. Is that right?? Thanks. Too bad so much controversy!!! Facepalm

Yes, that's right!... Based on his ranking when the article was written (last Friday), Roger would have been the #1 seed. However, as of this Monday, Nishikori moved ahead of Roger and therefore will be seeded #1, and Roger second. It doesn't make much difference for the draw, mind you.

Roger is not far behind Key and could regain his No 6 position after Dubai, or even move up to No 5 (ahead of Anderson), if he wins Dubai.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marly 103-20 Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:57 pm

for some points, the Japanese would be the first seed! but I saw that Kevin Anderson would not play before IW so Roger can go back to the rankings as well as to the Race!
Marly 103-20
Marly 103-20

http://federer080881.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Normal Roger to play on clay this season

Post by Cromar Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:16 am

Roger Federer assures he's not planning his farewell tour just yet

Reem Abulleil | Sport360.com
24 February 2019

Roger Federer assured on Sunday that his decision to play on the clay this season for the first time since 2016 does not mean that he is treating 2019 as his farewell tour.

When the Swiss announced at the Australian Open – following his fourth round exit to Stefanos Tsitsipas – that he has opted to play clay tournaments this spring, speculation immediately arose surrounding the motivation behind Federer’s decision.

Panic struck among his fans, who assumed Federer’s return to the red dirt meant that he wanted to make sure he would play Roland Garros for one last time before he retired.

But the 37-year-old, who is the No. 2 seed at this week’s Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, insists that is not the case.

“No, it’s not. I thought of it, in isolation, do I want to play the clay or not? The answer was yes,” Federer told reporters in Dubai ahead of Monday’s first-round clash against Philipp Kohlschreiber.

“This doesn’t mean this is my last clay-court season, whatever, or I had to play one more time before I retired. That was not the thinking.

“All I knew is after missing it for two to three years basically, my body was ready, I was ready, my schedule with the family, my schedule with the team was ready to do it again. This is when I opted to say, ‘It will be nice’.

“Instead of taking a big chunk off, I’d rather stay in the rhythm and actually enjoy myself on the clay.”

Federer has not played at the French Open since he lost in the quarter-finals there in 2015. He was injured and withdrew from the Parisian Slam in 2016 and he skipped the clay swing altogether in 2017 and 2018.

“It’s going to be challenging, no doubt about it. I have to take baby steps in the beginning to some extent, but that’s okay,” said Federer, who has already confirmed that he will be playing the Madrid Open prior to Roland Garros this May.

“I think after not playing for two years, also missing the French three years ago because of injury, I think the team understood that I was in the mood to do it again,” he added.

“I did grow up on clay, after all. I felt like my body is strong enough now again to do the surface changes from hard to clay to grass to hard again. In the past I felt different. I felt like it would be nice to go from hard to grass to hard, stay on faster surfaces.”

Federer will be gunning for a 100th career title when he takes to the courts in Dubai this week. He has played just one official tournament so far in 2019 and it ended with him losing in four sets to 20-year-old Tsitsipas, who saved 13/13 break points to end the Swiss’ title defence in Melbourne.

“I still felt like I played okay. It wasn’t like a horrible tournament for me. Played great at the Hopman Cup. I played good actually all matches. I just messed up on some big, big points. I’m not going to change my game because I missed out on some opportunities,” said Federer, reflecting on his Australian Open campaign.

Federer’s route to a possible 100th crown is likely to be a difficult one, with the likes of Fernando Verdasco, Milos Raonic, Karen Khachanov, Tomas Berdych and Borna Coric all in his half of the draw.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion clinched his 99th trophy in Basel last September and lost in the three tournaments he has contested since (Paris Masters, ATP Finals in London, Australian Open).

He is aware of the big milestone that awaits him but is taking a ‘it’ll happen when it happens’ approach to it.

“I think that’s got to be the mindset, that you try your best every match, every week anyway. Things fall into place or they don’t. It’s not because of lack of effort,” said Federer.

“We’ve been talking about 99 titles ever since Basel, every tournament I’ve played. There’s nothing new. Of course, coming to Dubai where I’ve enjoyed a lot of success sort of makes you believe maybe it could happen here. Then again, draw is tough. Haven’t played in a few weeks so you reset everything, get ready for your first round, hope everything is going to click again here in Dubai.

“It’s going to be tough. Look, I hope we can have this conversation in a few days’ time and see what happens.”

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Dubai 2019 - Feb. 25 (R1)

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:20 am

Roger Federer Begins Quest For His Eighth Title At Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

Victory this week would also bring the Swiss his 100th career title, taking him tantalisingly close to the record 109 titles held by Jimmy Connors.

DDF Tennis News
25 February 2019

Roger Federer plays his first-round match against Philipp Kohlschreiber in front of a capacity crowd at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships on Monday evening.

Roger Federer began his quest for his eighth Dubai Duty Free Tennis Champions title by beating Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-4 3-6 6-1 on Monday. Victory this week would also bring him his 100th career title, taking him tantalisingly close to the record 109 titles held by Jimmy Connors.

Playing his first match since losing to Stefanos Tsitsipas in the fourth round of the Australian Open, Federer found the windy conditions as much of a challenge as his opponent.

“It’s just a match against the conditions really more than the opponent, which is a completely different mindset than when you go out and, ‘Okay, I need to do this on the slice to get him to pop it up’. This was none of that,” said Federer. “I mean, the first two sets, especially the first set and a half, I thought was so hard on the rhythm. I really struggled to get everything going.

“Just somehow get through. Somehow try not to lose. I know you always play to win, but sometimes in the wind, in a first round against Kohlschreiber who can play very well in spells, especially in conditions like this, a lot of topspin and spin. You stay aggressive, maybe even though you’re not feeling so well. It’s swirly and all that stuff. I’m very pleased I was able to find a way. I actually played a really good third set, I thought.”

If Federer goes on to win the title this week it will be the first time since 2002 that two players from the same country have won the title in the same year. Fabrice Santoro and Amelie Mauresmo did so for France, and Federer is hoping to join Belinda Bencic as a 2019 champion. He was in touch with Bencic throughout her run to the title last week.

“I thought the way she did it was tremendous, beating four top-10 players in exhilarating matches, to be honest. I think that was wonderful for her,” said Federer. “I saw her briefly. It was déjà vu. Every day I saw her at the courts, every day I congratulated her, every day she went on to win the next one. And then the next day I saw her at lunch, and I quickly saw her after the finals before she left. She was so happy. It was a pleasure to see her play a little bit, and also happy that everything is coming together (after her injury struggles).”

Spain’s Fernando Verdasco plays Roger Federer in the second round on Wednesday.

Federer will next play 2017 finalist Fernando Verdasco, who also struggled to overcome the windy conditions to beat qualifier Thomas Fabbiano 3-6 6-3 6-2. There is just one seed remaining in Federer’s side of the draw after fourth seed Karen Khachanov fell 6-4 6-1 to Nikoloz Basilashvili and seventh seed Milos Raonic was beaten 6-4 5-7 6-4 by Jan-Lennard Struff.

In other matches, defending champion Roberto Bautista Agut defeated wild card Ramkumar Ramanathan 6-4 6-3 and Marton Fucsovics defeated Damir Dzumhur 6-1 7-6.

“We have seen two seeds defeated on the very first day of the tournament, reflecting how competitive the matches promise to be throughout the week,” said Colm McLoughlin, Executive Vice Chairman and CEO of Dubai Duty Free. “We look forward to seeing if Roger Federer can win here yet again and set a new career milestone of 100 titles, if our No. 1 seed Kei Nishikori can win on his debut, or if the winner will be one of the many other talented players competing here this week.”

“We can expect many exciting matches as the week unfolds, with several of the players involved having already won titles this season,” said Tournament Director Salah Tahlak. “In fact we have in Dubai the winners from the three most recent ATP tournaments, after Daniil Medvedev won in Sofia, Gael Monfils won in Rotterdam and Stefanos Tsitsipas won in Marseille.”

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Roger's 100th Title

Post by Cromar Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:24 pm

Here are two very different articles about Roger reaching 100 titles: One covering the numbers, the other the social media.  

The BBC article contains extensive diagrams and statistics outlining the tournaments Roger won, where, when, on what surface and against whom he won all those trophies. On a separate page, it is showing the images of Roger's 100 trophies. ESPN, on the other hand, provides a comprehensive coverage of the tennis world reactions on social media.

Here are the links:

• BBC Sport: Roger Federer's 100 titles in numbers: Where has he won most? Who has he beaten most?

• BBC Slideshow - BBC Sport flicks through images of each of Roger Federer's 100 ATP title wins.

• ESPN:  Tennis world reacts to Roger Federer's 100th singles title
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Roger's 100th Title

Post by Cromar Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 pm

A selection of congratulatory pictures/graphics posted by Roger's sponsors and other tennis related organisations...  

Celebrating Roger's 100th Match Title

Euronews

Barilla

Credit Suisse

ATP Tour

ITHF

Laureus

Tennis Channel

Eurosport

@Xiaolin

@JeuSetMaths

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:22 pm

These tributes are so enjoyable and fitting!!! Just how much training, practice, travel, is behind all those titles! Congratulations also to Roger's team, all of them, and his family. For me, who may not have achieved much, it is a real positive about what can be done, with talent, heart and dedication. More than a mere mortal: Roger is like a Greek hero of antiquity. Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Normal Dubai 2020

Post by Cromar Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Roger to play Dubai in 2020. That's great news!  Smile  But the Tokyo Olympics... not so sure.

Federer to be back to wow Dubai next year

It takes those weak five seconds to ponder retirement, the ace says after 100th title win

Published:  March 03, 2019 13:30  
Alaric Gomes, Chief Reporter - Gulf News  

Roger Federer and Stefanos Tsitsipas pose with their trophies.
Image Credit: Atiq Ur Rehman /Gulf News

Dubai: Dubai champion Roger Federer admitted that he has had the temptation to step away from his sport at times.

Moments after claiming his eighth crown at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships and the 100th title of his career, Federer admitted that he has been tempted in the past to stop playing.

“I think every player has those weak five seconds where you’re like, Really? This could be after losing an epic five-setter. It could be after playing a shocker. It could be sometimes after winning something. You’re like, ‘How much more do I want to do?’” Federer told media after being asked if he ever thought about retirement.

“I think everybody goes through that. It would be lying if they said, I never doubt it. I think everybody goes through these phases. It’s logical. We have too much downtime, too much time on the road, too much rain delays, you name it, that makes you go through with your head sometimes,” he added.

Federer has been a legend not just when it comes to tennis, but also in the way he has conserved his body at 37 years. He sustained a freak knee injury in 2016 that forced him to undergo surgery and miss out tournaments in Rotterdam, Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami.

Ultimately, he made his comeback at the Monte Carlo event and lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the quarter-finals. But the break from sport helped him put things in perspective.

“I think definitely the surgery was for me a sort of a major reality check in the sense that maybe I will come back, I knew that, but maybe never quite the same,” he recalled.

“I’m happy I can look back now and play with absolutely no pain, no painkillers this week. It’s a big week for me, to be quite honest, to go through a week like that. I’m very, very pleased,” Federer smiled.

Later in 2016, he had to also skip the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games. Asked about the possibility of him making it to the 2020 Tokyo Games? “I don’t know how I’m going to qualify, to be honest. And if I do, I don’t know if I’m still playing. It’s still too far away for me,” he said.

“I don’t know. I just don’t want my mind to go there. I think if it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t. I think it’s not like my first Olympics where obviously I always wanted to be part of it. So we’ll really see how it’s going to play out,” Federer added.

For the die-hard tennis fans of Dubai, the good news is that Federer will be back next year to defend his title at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

Scheduled to be held at its normal time in the second week of February, tournament director Salah Tahlak announced late on Saturday that Federer has already committed to playing in Dubai in 2020.

“We have plans to make next year’s tournament very special considering that fact that Dubai will be hosting the 2020 Expo starting later in October. Ours will be one of the events leading up to the Expo. So having Federer back to defend his title makes perfect sense, not just for the tournament but for Dubai as well,” Tahlak told Gulf News.

When asked later about his plans for next year, the eight-time Dubai champion said: “I think that was the answer. The idea was for the people to know that I am coming back next year. That is the plan. I have a deal for next year. I thought about it this week because I know they said they were interested to have me again next year, if it was okay to announce it during the week. I said, Absolutely, we can do that.”

“I don’t see myself playing anywhere else but Dubai this week. I’m happy to come here again next year. I’ve enjoyed too much success. I like the tournament too much. So I will be here next year,” the Swiss ace promised.

Federer’s success in Dubai started off with three back-to-back titles from 2003 to 2005, and now, another five — 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015 and now 2019.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum