Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AO & Dubai 2017 Press Conferences

+4
Rufus1
michelle88
Lil_Jay
Cromar
8 posters

Go down

Normal AO & Dubai 2017 Press Conferences

Post by Cromar Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:47 pm

AO 2017 QF - Roger Federer Press Conference

Published on Jan 24, 2017
Roger Federer speaks to the press following his quarterfinal win over Mischa Zverev at the 2017 Australian Open.

A pretty chatty Roger... and some interesting insights!  Smile

Transcript:

AUSTRALIAN OPEN - January 24, 2017

Roger Federer
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

R. FEDERER / M. Zverev (QF)
6-1, 7-5, 6-2

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Did that pretty much go according to plan?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, there are several plans when you enter a match. I think it definitely went as good as it possibly could have gone.

So I'm pleased with the way I started the match. Right away again got off to a great start against him, like I did against him a few years ago. After that, naturally everything's easier.

Second set was definitely a key to shut it down for him. It was good that I was able to break back after he played a good game there.

Yeah, then in the third set I think I was rolling.

It was a nice match. I think I played great. Mischa had a wonderful tournament, so well done to him.

Q. There was a time in the match when he went to a baseline strategy. When he went back to net play, you started breaking him again. Were you surprised he went back to his serve and volley?
ROGER FEDERER: He always serve and volleyed. Never changed. I think if you look at the stats, I think he serve and volleyed first, second 100%. I think you're wrong. I hope you're wrong (smiling). My recollection is that he came in all the time.

Q. Of the eight matches you've played since you've come back after six months, what has been the thing that's most surprised you?
ROGER FEDERER: I think winning back-to-back matches in best-of-five sets against quality, great players. Really that's been for me the big question mark, if I could do that so early in my comeback.

I felt I was always going to be dangerous on any given day in a match situation. But obviously as the tournament would progress, maybe I would fade away with energy, you know, that kind of stuff.

I think now that I'm in the semis, feeling as good as I am, playing as good as I am, that's a huge surprise to me. Like I said on court, if someone would have told me I'd play in the semis against Stan, never would I have called that one for me. For Stan, yes, but not for me. I honestly didn't even know a few days ago that he was in my section of the draw or I'm in his section.

I figured it out eventually that he was playing on my days, but I never really looked in that quarter of the draw because that was just too unrealistic for me.

Q. Can you look at Stan, the dynamics have obviously changed from when you first started, now that he's a three-time Grand Slam champion, talk about how those dynamics have changed.
ROGER FEDERER: Look, like a lot of guys, I was able to play them when they were young, which is, I guess, for the head-to-head an advantage. I don't care much about head-to-heads in general because I feel like every day's a different matchup.

So I think in the beginning, he was really struggling on faster courts. I played him in Rotterdam and other places. You could sense in his footwork, the way he was returning, that he was uncomfortable on them.

That's why it was incredible for me to see that his first Grand Slam he was going to win was the Australian Open. If I would have called any Grand Slam for him to win it was always going to be the French, because he moved so effortless on clay. That's his base. That's his DNA really.

I think he's done incredibly well on all the other surfaces, including grass actually, also indoors, hard and fast. He's become such a good player, I super respect that, that the guy is able to transform his game around like that, in his footwork, in his mind, also in his game plan.

That's his transformation, and I like what I saw. He's always been a believer that he can do it. It shows how far you can go.

Q. Given how well you've played without having played for six months, do you think, going forward, you might be able to take longer chunks off?
ROGER FEDERER: Play a tournament, take six months off (smiling). I'll have no ranking eventually because I won't be able to win every single time I come back.

I always felt like breaks were important for me. If you think back, I always played, but I always also took bigger vacations, bigger breaks. I know you don't know exactly what I do in my time off, or when you don't see me after Wimbledon, what I do until Cincinnati or the Canadian Open or what I do after the year is over.

I remember some years I wouldn't hit tennis balls for four to five weeks. I think that was really important for me to look at the longevity aspect.

Sometimes I was talking to the team and thinking it was too much time off almost, because I had all this momentum going for me, I would just throw it out of the window for longevity.

It's so nice to play when you're confident, because to get that kind of confidence after winning a slam, not playing anymore, it's a bit of a waste actually. You should be playing then because you could just keep playing with confidence.

But I guess looking back overall, it was probably a good decision to take. I hope the six months are going to help me in the future. But I think it's still super early stages in my comeback, that I first want to play a couple months now on tour, and really reassess, maybe by April, how then the schedule is going to look like down the road.

I will probably never be able to play 27 tournaments a year anymore. We know that all. But maybe instead of playing 22 you play 18, instead of 20 you play 17. That could totally happen. You always need the right balance, I feel like, enough practice, enough matches, enough time off. I guess as you get older, everything becomes a bit different.

Q. What is the biggest change you've seen in Stan off court in your relationship since he's won these three Grand Slams and is ahead of you in the rankings? Has that shifted the dynamic between you two?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't recall exactly when that started to happen. I remember giving Stan a lot of advice on how he should play certain guys. What I like with Stan is if I would tell him something, I felt like he was able to do it. That showed me that he's a great player, that he's got a mind of somebody who understands what I'm trying to explain him.

Some players, you tell them something, they've just got no clue what to do, what it means. Stan had that early on, so I think he was a great learner.

Then the day came where he didn't call me so much any more. He called me less and less. I also felt like I didn't tell him any more, because he created his knowledge, his base, had his team. Only from time to time would I give him advice if he asked me.

Otherwise I was happy that he was able to let go and go on his own path. I don't remember when that was, but I think it was sort of a few years before his first Grand Slam.

Q. Have you ever asked him for advice?
ROGER FEDERER: Of course, I have. We always used to talk to one another, naturally in Davis Cup, because then you were on the same team, you would talk about players. It has happened. But it has been 95% of me giving him advice.

Q. Do you think he knows your game better than anybody in the draw and therefore represents a greater danger?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I think him and Rafa know my best game. I played him so much. Stan and I practiced so much together. With Rafa, I only practiced once in my life, whereas with Stan, I can't even keep count anymore. Yeah, I guess those two guys know me very well.

Q. Is it strange, here you are in the semifinals, and a guy who you grew up with was just announced to become a Hall of Famer in Andy Roddick? Did you see him here?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I didn't even know he was going to be here. Next thing you know, someone told me that he's here.

I'm like, Wow, that's so cool.

I hope I run into him. I'm very psyched for him. I think Andy's a great guy, enormous tennis player. So well-deserved really. So I hope I can run into him. I hope he's not taking the first flight out again and I missed him, because I'd like to congratulate him.

I'm always happy to see old friends that I can even call Hall of Famers now. It's very cool for him. I'm super happy.

Q. For Americans, your '09 final with Andy was huge.
ROGER FEDERER: It was tough, as well (smiling).

Q. Talk about Andy, that match, and particularly his forehand to the open court. You often say that one shot doesn't make that much of a difference, but talk about that shot, that match.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if he wants to hear about that.

Look, he deserved it maybe more than I did that day. I don't know. Maybe it was just meant to be for me. Mirka was pregnant. I had just won the French. Things were going my way, I don't know. Of course, I fought as hard as I possibly could. I had to get lucky as well in the process.

Like you said, he did have that one shot. Who knows if he makes that what's going to happen. I didn't break him, I think, for, whatever, three and a half, four hours. Of course, I was frustrated myself.

Somehow I stayed in the match and was able to get it in the end. It's definitely one of the great matches that both of us ever played because it was also played at Wimbledon, under the circumstances.

I came off of a tough final the year before. I had a brutal loss to Nadal. Of course, I wanted to get back to winning ways at Wimbledon. It meant a lot to me.

If I'm not wrong, he won the last match we played against each other, and I won the first, so everything in between is a blur.

Q. He stated you were lucky he retired because he won the last match. He was joking.
ROGER FEDERER: We joke a lot, the two of us.

Q. Do you feel the faster courts this year are helping, let's say, the older players in this tournament?
ROGER FEDERER: Older players? I don't know. I understand what you're saying.

I don't know. Possibly. I think with faster conditions, the older generation, I'm saying like anything before 2005, they are used to faster courts. From that moment on, it was a switch. Maybe it was shortly before that. I'm not sure. But we had to grow up in faster conditions.

I remember my indoor courts that I used to play on in Switzerland, they were lightning. I mean, I was playing on carpet or something like this that was shiny. You hit a slice, you could stay on the baseline, you knew it was always going to come to you.

Then everything changed as time went by. I think if you look at also Venus, she loves the fast courts. She always has. I think it just is natural for her to play well on this surface because maybe there's less thinking going on, you just play with instinct. That's maybe what older guys can do very well because they don't get frustrated in faster conditions.

It's also an art to learn that. You see with Zverev, who was able to attack the net all the time, not getting frustrated. Sometimes it very tricky against that kind of player because we just don't see it so often.

But I generally enjoy it because I like when he puts in a nice volley past me. I just think it's a nice play. I think there's nothing you can do about it. Then you kind of move on. That's why maybe I stayed as calm as I did today. Maybe it has helped me, too, in my comeback, no doubt about it.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2017 SF - Presser Video

Post by Lil_Jay Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 pm

Published on 26 Jan 2017

Roger Federer following his progression to his first Australian Open final in seven years.

Transcript:

AUSTRALIAN OPEN - January 26, 2017

Roger Federer
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

R. FEDERER / S. Wawrinka (SF)

7-5, 6-3, 1-6, 4-6, 6-3

Q. What did you think when you were playing the fifth set? Was it struggling a lot or not?
ROGER FEDERER: No. Like I said on court, the leg wasn't better or worse in the fifth. I felt tightness throughout the match, and I felt like it slowed me down.

I just hoped that maybe having the physio work on it, that it would make me feel better. But it didn't. It's not something I'm necessarily really worried about in any way. So that's a good thing.

In the fifth, I just knew I had to find my energy again, you know. Play with intensity, play more aggressive, take the ball early, believe in myself, serve good, try not to get in too many tough moments early on, which then I did.

It was an awkward match. Always against Stan, it was always never going to be easy. Especially how the third and fourth set went by, I needed to react really, because he had the upper hand from the baseline.

I thought it was going to be tough in the fifth. I think he gave me a cheap break in the fifth. After that, I never looked back.

I'm happy with my attitude in the fifth. So I'm very pleased, of course.

Q. Are you saying the leg is not going to affect you in Sunday in any way?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, no. If I had to say anything right now, no.

Q. Now that you're back in the final, can you look at the six months that you had to take off as almost a good thing, something that worked in your favor?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, now it seems like it. It was a good thing to do. You can only ever do so much treatment to feel decent. What I've just come to realize is when you don't feel well, you have too many problems going on, you just won't beat top-10 players.

At some point you reach a limit, and you just can't go beyond that. You can play them tight. You might win one of them. You just can't win back-to-back. Just not feeling free enough, you know, in your mind, in your body.

That's where both, I guess, Rafa and myself said, Okay, enough of this already. Let's get back to 100%, enjoy tennis again, enjoy the practice. Not just practice, treatment, practice, treatment, match, treatment. All the time all you're doing is fighting the fire.

From that standpoint, yeah, the six months definitely gave me something in return. I didn't go into a direction where I felt like I had to reorganize my life or reorganize my tennis in any way. I just wanted to get healthy again. I'm happy this week has been a good one.

Q. In terms of knowing your limits after six months off, when you're in a second five-setter against top-five guy here, is that too far?
ROGER FEDERER: Midway through the fourth when I realized my game was fading, Stan was having the upper hand on the baseline, I thought, I guess that's what I was always talking about. Things turn for the worse, you don't know why.

But the good thing is, I did have the cushion from the first two sets. I think I did a lot of things right. I prepared the match in a way that allowed me to win it later on.

He definitely, I think, relaxed midway through the third and fourth mentally and played more freely. I, unfortunately, didn't have the best serving day today. I think also Stan put pressure on me. Things can change, but maybe that's part of that.

I'm happy with the way I came out of the blocks again. Against Stan, I think that was always going to be really, really important. I know he's a tough customer in the fifth set. Maybe his knee did not help him. Look, a lot of people carry a lot of things that we don't know about. It is what it is.

Yeah, super happy I was able to win another five-setter in a Grand Slam. I don't know how many times I won two five-setters in a Grand Slam. Maybe never before. So this is big.

Q. You said on the court you never take the timeouts. That's kind of a new turn for you. Did it help to give you a chance to clear your head before the fifth set?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I think these injury timeouts, I think they're more mental than anything else. Okay, normally you would have to do it on court. If you do groin or something like that, or a tape way up there, you have to go off court.

For the first time maybe during a match you can actually talk to someone, even if it's just a physio. We know him well. It maybe relaxed Stan, you know, just to be able to talk about I don't know what. The same thing for me, as well. You start chatting about it, how good or bad the leg is, how you hope it's going to turn around. That can leave a positive effect on you when you come back.

I only really did take the timeout because I thought, He took one already, maybe I can take one for a change, because I'm not a believer in any way that we should be allowed to take a lot of timeouts. But I took it after the set break.

Yeah, people know I don't abuse the system. I hope it's going to stay that way in the future for me, too.

Q. You know the media, crowd, everybody in the tennis world would like to see a final between Federer and Nadal again and again. If I were Federer, maybe I would prefer to play Dimitrov. I'd like to know, considering the previous matches, what is your opinion? Best to play Dimitrov, or Nadal for the history?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, yeah, you would probably think I have a slight better chance to beat Dimitrov than Nadal. But who cares. At the end it matters if you win or not.

I'm in the finals, I know that. I know I will have a chance to win on Sunday now. That's a great position to be in. Regardless of who it's going to be against, I think it's going to be special either way. One is going to go for his first slam or it's the epic battle with Rafa.

All I care about is that I can win on Sunday. Doesn't matter who's across the net. But I understand the magnitude of the match against Nadal, no doubt about it.

Q. On court you said in your rivalry with Rafa early on, you maybe played him too many times on clay court, and that impacted how you played him. Can you go into more detail on that.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, not really. Why give him an edge? I said enough. Maybe I lost the Wimbledon finals in 2008 because of too many clay court matches, because he crushed me at the French Open final. I said that before. I think it affected my first two sets at Wimbledon. Maybe that's why I ended up losing.

I know Rafa played great in that final. I actually ended up playing great, too. It was similar like today. I was fighting a two-sets-to-love lead. I wasn't fighting the right way. I think that was the effect that the French Open loss that I actually got crushed in left on me.

That's kind of the things I meant with it. It was more mentally something at some moments. Now it's a different time. A lot of time has gone by. I know this court allows me to play a certain game against Rafa that I cannot do on center court at the French Open.

Q. You talk about age a lot. You're the oldest guy since Rosewall to make a men's slam singles final, since '74 US Open. He was 39. You're 35. What does that give you in terms of pride about your longevity? I know you're a big fan of the Aussies from that generation.
ROGER FEDERER: Especially Ken Rosewall. We don't speak about him enough. I think he's a wonderful man. He wrote me a letter again this week to wish me well again. He does it every year at the Australian Open. Still haven't seen him, unfortunately. I know he's around.

I love that generation of players with Tony Roche, Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, Roy Emerson. We got to milk a cow together in Gstaad. We go way back.

I know he's a few years older, but I know he had a tremendous career. So to be in the same breath like these guys, it's a great feeling. I love these guys. It means a lot to me to have equaled something like this since a long time.

Q. You said on court that you're Rafa's number one fan. Have you always been able to appreciate him or has absence made the heart grow fonder?
ROGER FEDERER: I just think he's an incredible tennis player. He's got shots that no other one has. When you have that, you are unique and special. Plus he's got the grit. He's got the mental and physical ability to sustain a super high level of play for years and for hours and for weeks. He's proven that time and time again. He's come back from many injuries, you know, time and time again. He made it seem easy, and it's not.

I think he's been tremendous for the game. I have a lot of respect for him on many levels.

Q. If it is Dimitrov, people have said that he has imitated your game over the years. Do you accept that? Because of that is he an easier opponent to play?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, only result will tell. If going in, he's easier because I don't think I've ever lost to him. There you have it. But that doesn't buy me anything. That doesn't give me the trophy.

I think he's playing totally different now to how he was playing 12 months ago when I beat him in Brisbane and here back-to-back. I think he's got the confidence. Like I said, you never want to play a guy with confidence because he believes he can rip trees out, you feel like Superman for a second. Rightfully so, he worked super hard. He probably believes he's worked harder than anybody right now.

I think he has a legit shot against Rafa. If he won that, then clearly also against me. I think he's doing a nice job with his game right now. He's cleaned it up nicely. He came from a tough place.

I've given him some advice, too, because he came to me last year at some point. He was having all sorts of issues. We were just having a simple conversation. I'm happy he took some things onboard. He seemed to turn it around somehow. I'm really happy for him.

Now if the match were to come up, I know I have to play a good match because he does present different things. He brings different things to the table because of the way he plays. Not many guys can do what he can do. He might be similar to me, but I was similar to Pete, too. I always told people, I'm not Pete Sampras. He's not me. He is his own guy. He's his own identity. Different character. Just because he played with Nike and Wilson like I did with Sampras doesn't make us in any way the same. I think you got to give him that, please.

Q. Having not played against each other, you and Rafa, would that help you overcome the psychological edge?
ROGER FEDERER: I didn't understand.

Q. Having not played each other, you and Rafa, in a Grand Slam final for a while now, will that in any way take the edge?
ROGER FEDERER: They haven't played in a Grand Slam?

Q. You and Rafa.
ROGER FEDERER: Well, yeah, it's better than being crushed at the French Open and playing him at Wimbledon again. If you're looking at that, it's better to have not played. The last match I played against him, I won, in Basel.

I'm not looking back at that match like, If I win Basel, I'm going to win here. There's a lot of work to be done. Still super far away from winning the trophy. It is only one more match now. But it's something I can mentally prepare for. Like I said on court, I'll leave all the energy here in Australia, and then I can relax after here.

It's gone much better than I thought it would. That's also what I was telling myself in the fifth set. I was talking to myself, saying like, Just relax, man. The comeback is so great already. Let it fly off your racquet and just see what happens.

I think that's the mindset I got to have, as well, in the finals. Sort of a nothing-to-lose mentality. It's been nice these last six matches to have that mentality. It worked very well so I'll keep that up.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Lil_Jay
Lil_Jay
Admin

https://federer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Normal AO 2017 Final - Presser Video & Transcript

Post by michelle88 Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Roger Federer press conference (Final) - 6:37 minutes

The final presser!

Q. Does it mean a lot to you to put some more distance between you and your greatest rivals with this title?
ROGER FEDERER: That's the smallest part, to be honest. For me it's all about the comeback, about an epic match with Rafa again. Doing it here in Australia, that I'm so thankful to Peter Carter and Tony Roche, and just people... I guess my popularity here, their support, that I can still do it at my age after not having won a slam for almost five years.

That's what I see. The last problem is the slam count. Honestly, it doesn't matter.

Q. Had you ever envisioned winning a Grand Slam on a challenge?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I guess I've been there before at some point. I can't tell you which finals or -- not a finals maybe, but some matches end this way. So we've seen it before.

I mean, you have to challenge it. If you're Rafa, what other option do you have? Good would have been if he had gotten there, played the lob, and then challenged. Then it's at least replay the point, isn't it?

Of course, it's slightly awkward to win this way. Nevertheless, emotions poured out of me. I was incredibly happy, as you can imagine. Then, of course, I was also seeing my entire support team, Mirka, everybody else going bananas. It was cool.

I knew from that point on, like, I actually did really win. That was a great feeling.

Q. Winning 18 would have been special regardless of where you had done it. Can you tell us how special it is doing it here in Australia.
ROGER FEDERER: Like you said, I think it would have been special regardless of where it was going to be. Look, this is a tournament I've not missed. I've not missed the French. I've missed the US Open last year. This is the one I guess that is my most consistent slam potentially.

It all started for me here. I played the quallies here in '99, the juniors in '98. Won my first match maybe against Michael Chang here back in 2000. I go way back. Always loved coming here, you know.

When you win down here, the journey home is not a problem. When you lose, it's just brutal. That's why I feel very fortunate tonight.

Q. After the semifinal you touched upon the fact that you might have tensed up a little in the final set. How were you able to focus coming from a break down?
ROGER FEDERER: I told myself to play free. That's what we discussed with Ivan and Severin before the matches. You play the ball, you don't play the opponent. Be free in your head, be free in your shots, go for it. The brave will be rewarded here. I didn't want to go down just making shots, seeing forehands rain down on me from Rafa. I think it was the right decision at the right time.

I had opportunities early on in the fifth, as well, to get back on even terms. I could have been left disappointed there and accepted that fact. I kept on fighting. I kept on believing, like I did all match long today, that there was a possibility I could win this match.

I think that's what made me play my best tennis at the very end the match, which was actually surprising to me. I went through a little bit of a lull in the fourth and the beginning of the fifth set.

Q. I assume it's fair to say he's your greatest rival. What does it mean to win this against him?
ROGER FEDERER: We go furthest back, you know. Novak also has been one of my biggest rivals. So have Roddick and Hewitt. I don't like to leave anybody out, to be honest. But I'm sure I've left a couple out. They know who they are.

But Rafa definitely has been very particular in my career. I think he made me a better player. Him and a couple more players have done the most to do that to me because the way his game stacks up with me, it's a tricky one. I've said that openly. It remains for me the ultimate challenge to play against him. So it's definitely very special.

I said that also before the finals: if I were to win against Rafa, it would be super special and very sweet because I haven't beaten him in a Grand Slam final for a long, long time now. Last time I guess was 2007 at Wimbledon in a five-setter. Now I was able to do it again.

We're both on a comeback. Like I said on the court, it would have been nice for both of us to win, but there's no draws in tennis. It's brutal sometimes.

He should be happy. I would have been happy again to be in the finals, like I said on the court. I think this one will take more time to sink in. When I go back to Switzerland, I'll think, Wow.

The magnitude of this match is going to feel different. I can't compare this one to any other one except for maybe the French Open in '09. I waited for the French Open, I tried, I fought. I tried again and failed. Eventually I made it. This feels similar, yeah.

Q. Millions of people across the world saw this match. This tournament has been so wonderful with you, Rafa, Venus, Serena. Do you see this as a kind of celebration of spirit? In some uncertain times now, an event like this can help people and pick people's spirits up.
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I don't know to what extent. At the end of the day, it remains sports. But sports is a powerful tool. Makes a lot of people happy. They forget about their sorrows sometimes. Not always, though, clearly.

But I feel like finals of this magnitude, big Masters 1000s, World Tour Finals, you name it, they are supposed to be a celebration of tennis. That's why I think it's so nice again, to have Rod Laver out on the podium. For us, I was expecting Ashley-Cooper. But Rocket's okay, too, I guess.

It is, at the end, regardless of the outcome of the match, it's like a Super Bowl, whatever it is, it is tennis that is at front and center.

I'm happy we were represented that well tonight with Rafa. He's always great. That's why I hope he's still going to be in the game for a long time and represent the way he does.

Q. This is your first Grand Slam with Ivan Ljubicic coaching you. What does it mean to you?
ROGER FEDERER: It's obviously special for the entire team. It was his first Grand Slam final as a player or as a coach. Obviously he was nervous all day. I tried to calm him down (smiling). The same thing with my physio, too. I think I can sense that this is not something that he's seen so many times. Where Severin, he was totally relaxed about it.

It's beautiful for all of us. I know how happy they are because they are more than just a coach or a physio or whatever. They're all my friends. So we spent a lot of time, you know, talking about am I going to get back to 100%, and if I did, what would it require to win a Grand Slam.

Now we made it. We're going to be partying like rock stars tonight. I can tell you that.

Q. The medical timeout, there were some quite adverse comments about that.
ROGER FEDERER: What is 'adverse comments'?

Q. Critical comments. I think Pat Cash said it was legalized cheating. Can you tell us what was going on there, what the reason was.
ROGER FEDERER: Look, I mean, I explained myself a couple of days ago after the Stan match. Yeah, my leg has been hurting me since the Rubin match. I was happy that I was able to navigate through the pain. For some reason against Stan I had it from the start on both sides of the groin.

After he took a medical timeout, I thought I could also take one for a change and see if actually something like a massage during the match is actually going to help me. It did a little bit potentially. I'm not sure.

And then today after probably -- well, I felt my quad midway through the second set already, and the groin started to hurt midway through the third set. I just told myself, The rules are there that you can use them. I also think we shouldn't be using these rules or abusing the system. I think I've led the way for 20 years.

So I think to be critical there is exaggerating. I'm the last guy to call a medical timeout. So I don't know what he's talking about.

Q. We know you've been asked about retirement for about 10 years now.
ROGER FEDERER: Seven.

Q. Your comment on the court where you said, If I'm back next year, it does invite some comment on that. How much should we read into what you said there?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, this is all about, you know, knowing that I have only so much tennis left in me. If I do get injured, you know, maybe if I miss next year. Who knows what happens.

So it was just a way... You never know when your next Grand Slam is going to be, if ever. You never know if you're going to have an opportunity at this stage, I felt I could thank so many people at once. It's a live audience. It's a moment for me to be appreciative of them.

Yeah, I mean, look, I've had a tough year last year. Three five-setters are not going to help. I just meant it the way I meant it. There wasn't something planned behind it, that this is my last Australian Open. I hope can I come back, of course. That's my hope right now.

Q. You touched on it before briefly. How does Roger Federer at your age celebrate tonight?
ROGER FEDERER: I'm a bit more experienced about it. You know, I just don't show up and look for something. We've organized a party. The good thing is always to have enough people around to make a party. I have a lot of friends over here now. Made a lot of friends also locally. Then also a lot of people have just been on this trip for some time now. So we're going to be about, I don't know, 20, 30, 40 people depending. It's better to party in a big bunch than all alone with one glass of champagne. I'm sure it's going to be good fun.

I liked the days when we had the day finals, like 2004, so it wouldn't would be almost 2:00. I still have doping to do. I have a bit of pressure to get that done.
michelle88
michelle88

Back to top Go down

Normal Dubai 2017 R1 - Presser Transcript

Post by Rufus1 Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Here is the written transcript following the victory over Paire, round 1, Dubai 2017.  Almost all of it can be found in the videos posted by vrazkar above.

http://www.dubaidutyfreetennischampionships.com/~/media/dubai/files/2017-interviews/r-federer-022717.ashx?la=en

Transcript:

DUBAI DUTY FREE TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS - February 27, 2017

Roger Federer
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

R. FEDERER/B. Paire
6-1, 6-3

Q. He obviously was struggling with something. How tough is it to stay focused especially with him going up and down?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, it's never easy, because you never know how severe it is. It's a fast court. He's a big shot maker, so that always lends itself to, you know, being dangerous as it is, even more so maybe if he can freeze mine and just say, Okay, I have no choice now but to keep going for it.

But I think over the years I have played many opponents this way, and you just do your thing, try to make it difficult for him, try to stay aggressive yourself so you don't get lured into just making shots, because that's when then he can tee off.

I think I did well, and by the time maybe he got more comfortable, he was already down a set and a break. From then always it's a long way back, but if, you know, maybe if he does get a break, the pain sort of goes away at least mentally for a second, you never know.

I'm very happy with this first round. Of course I hope for him it's nothing serious.

Q. Were you comfortable with your performance?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, good. There were some break points to be saved, and, you know, I think I returned very well for a first round. I was able to get my second serves in deep, was able to go into the offensive quickly. The serve in the beginning was a bit off maybe, but I think also playing at night here for the first time it's always just a different ball when you toss it up with the lights and everything, so that's going to get better as I progress in the tournament.

Didn't have to move that much. You know, it was very quick rallies. So we'll see how that's going to turn out. But obviously couldn't be a better first round for me here in Dubai.

Q. Obviously the crowd was thrilled to have you back.
ROGER FEDERER: So was I (smiling).

Q. What does that mean when you hear them?
ROGER FEDERER: It's nice as you're warming up you hear the crowd already somewhat as they're getting pumped up by someone. You hear music and hear the roars. Then when you walk out, I don't know, it's a nice feeling to have. You know, it's mutual, because I missed playing here last year.

I have played here for so many years, seen the tournament grow. And especially after Australia, fans and myself know how special it is for me to be back on the court. It was a nice welcome. Very thankful always.

Q. We have seen him throw the racquet against the board and it rebound. I don't know if you saw that.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, it was funny, actually. He got lucky.

Q. Do you think people should start getting more careful, or punishment should be harsher for stuff like that?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I think it's fine. You know, players know what the consequences are. I don't know how it can be harsher than to be disqualified. Getting a zero point or no prize money? I don't know how -- what, get thrown in jail? I don't know. (Smiling.) I mean, that's the next step, I guess.

So the players know what the drill is, what the rules are. He knew that if he smashed one more racquet it would be a point penalty and then it goes into game quickly, and things get really serious and expensive and all that.

I don't think the ATP has to revisit that part of the thing, but sure, you have to be careful. When you whack a ball out of the stadiums, you want to be 100% sure you clear everything in the path, even birds and stuff. If you throw the racquet, you want to know how it bounces. And if it's the unknown, you shouldn't do it.

Q. Can I follow up on something you suggested with the clay court season, you said you'd have to ask yourself how much you were going to put into it at the French. I know you said before that you won't skip the French, but do you think it's possible that you might, let's say, only play one event before the French on the clay or take some time out?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I said it already in Australia that I will only decide on the clay court swing after Miami. So as of now, you know, if I lost every match from here on till Miami, you know, that changes things around, or if you won a lot of matches until the clay court season comes around. So all that plays into how many tournaments I want or can play and have to play.

So, for me, I will really take it from there. What I meant with it, you know, in my best years I think I played three, sometimes four tournaments. That's always going to be a hard ask right now, because also the body needs some always some healing again.

And I would also like to put in some buildup. And because of the week being gone after Wimbledon and now being put in between Paris and Wimbledon, I have less time also after Wimbledon going into the American summer.

I hope it makes sense. I know you know what I'm saying. That's why I need to just see how the American swing goes now, and then I will take it from there.

Q. Do you spend less time here in Dubai than you used to?
ROGER FEDERER: I was here more because of my injury. I was here six weeks straight from November and December last year. So that's the longest I have almost stayed in one place for the last 20 years.

I spent six weeks at home in Switzerland, and then I started moving again, and then I was also six weeks here. No, I have actually -- overall I spent a little bit less time here, more in Switzerland, just because I'm not here so much anymore in the heat because of the kids.

Q. What do you most like about being here?
ROGER FEDERER: I like it that it's safe. The weather is always nice. Well, this was not so bad the last few days for you where you're from (smiling).

So, no, I think it's nice restaurants, nice beach. There is stuff to do, you know, that I enjoy. Plus it's in a good location for all of Asia and Australia. It's on the way there.

So, yeah, we like it here. It's also quite peaceful for us, because we don't have a million friends over here, which makes it also -- you know, it's very much family time for us over here, which we enjoy.

Q. Do you home-school your daughters?
ROGER FEDERER: We do. Yeah.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Normal Dubai 2017 R2 - Presser Video

Post by cornnn92 Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Presser affter Dubai R2 loss:

cornnn92
cornnn92

Back to top Go down

Normal Dubai 2017 R2 - Presser Transcript

Post by anutam Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Part of yesterday presser about (practically) Maria Sharapova return to the tour (Murray, then Roger):
http://sport360.com/video/dubai_duty_free_championships/224934/dubai-duty-free-tennis-watch-andy-murray-and-roger-federer-reaction-to-news-of-maria-sharapovas-italian-open-wildcard-after-doping-ban

Transcript:

DUBAI DUTY FREE TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS - March 1, 2017

Roger Federer
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

E. DONSKOY/R. Federer
3-6, 7-6, 7-6

Q. You kind of had the match in your hands a few times. Can you just walk us through how it slipped away from you?
ROGER FEDERER: Don't know where to start, really. I guess it was good to save set point in the second set. Gave me a chance to stay in the second set after that.

And then in the breaker, I served well. He clocked one at 6-4, I think. And then again one to get break point in the third. Those are the only two he really hit for winners. It was bad timing that I went into that corner at the time that maybe he was stretching perfectly for it.

Regardless, I had my chances. I should somehow close it out. Don't know how it got away, but he did very well, and yeah, it's a rough one, for sure.

Q. Do you feel that since there was a few weeks between Australia and now this is the kind of thing that maybe closing out matches is something, pure rust or...
ROGER FEDERER: Look, it could be anything right now. It's tough to judge this one, you know, because I could have won in two and I'd be already almost hitting the pillow now thinking about Pouille. But now here I'm explaining what didn't go well.

Clearly can become quite negative about it, but I won't. It was a tough loss today. Donskoy did well, like I said. Just gotta move on from here. Clearly would have liked to do much better here this week.

Q. Did you feel timing was a bit off today, maybe having not played for a few weeks?
ROGER FEDERER: I thought I returned way better in the first round. Today I really struggled on the return. I didn't quite really time it well.

Maybe it wasn't really committed enough, I think, you know. Commitment in tennis is a big thing. In the first round I was. Today I wasn't, really. That sort of is a feeling you get and it trickles in an entire game, you know.

Yeah, timing I thought was off for me today. Legs also felt slower out here tonight. I didn't feel tired all day. I tried to get myself in shape, and, you know, like warm up properly, do all the things I always do, regardless if it's a first round or a final.

There's no excuses there. I just think it's still the beginning of the comeback and gotta take the positives out of, you know, playing again a tournament where I feel I'm quite healthy and I'm happy I got over the injury I sustained at the Australian Open. Maybe didn't allow me to practice as much as I was hoping to in Switzerland, but at the same time also needed the rest.

There was also no problem there, really. I came early. I was perfectly prepared. It's just a tough loss tonight. So many chances. It was crazy.

Q. Will you now go to Indian Wells quickly or stay here for a couple of days?
ROGER FEDERER: Didn't have time to speak to my coach yet (smiling). I'm more just trying to digest why I'm speaking to you about what just happened.

But, yeah, we'll look at the options and we'll see what's the plan.

Q. I know you have just come off the court, but this is the last time we'll see you. There has been a lot of discussion and deliberations today over wildcards for players coming back from doping bans.
ROGER FEDERER: Okay.

Q. I know it's...
ROGER FEDERER: No problem. Go ahead.

Q. Looking for your thoughts on whether you think a player has served the time once the ban ends or should it be part of the punishment they have to walk their way up from the bottom?
ROGER FEDERER: Could see it either way, depending on who you are, and don't know if it matters what the cause was for being banned, because at the end, it's all sort of the same. Banned is banned, you know.

It's a tough one. I really don't know what to answer on that one, to be quite honest.

Q. I take it there's no physical problems? This is your biggest test since the Australian finals. Do you feel...
ROGER FEDERER: Yes. I've moved better around the court, and I felt more explosive and all that stuff. I just never really got going tonight and sort of felt heavy. But, look, those matches happen frequently, you know, where you just got to somehow find a way to come through.

Tonight I just didn't. I was convinced that if I came through tonight I was going to feel better tomorrow.

It's okay. Plus, you know, I really -- I think what also sort of carried through the whole match is like I just didn't know Donskoy. So many times I just didn't know what his patterns were. I didn't know what his preferences are, you know, and if he does hit a big forehand down the line, is that normal or is that just right now? Is he going to do that on big shots, big points or not?

All that stuff got me a little bit tense, and I could never quite play freely, which is quite surprising, considering how I played in Australia.

But tennis is this way. Margins are small. Fast court like here, you can't find much rhythm. Next thing you know, you're struggling, and that's okay.

Q. When the lights went out at 4-All in the second, was that a distraction? Did you guys see well?
ROGER FEDERER: Not really. I mean, look, I was just hoping that the lights were going to come back on tonight and that just -- I wanted to see what he thought, because he was on the side that there was less light. But the same time, you know, I also struggled to maybe see it at the very beginning of his serves and stuff.

But, look, we have played in much darker conditions in different places, so I felt, look, if he wants to keep playing, I'm happy to keep playing. I didn't want to wait. It wasn't just, like, dark. It was just darker. That's why I'm happy they got it back on and I'm happy he was willing to play on.

anutam
anutam

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: AO & Dubai 2017 Press Conferences

Post by avasbar Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 pm

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2017/03/roger-federer-trying-to-explain-the-unexplainable-in-dubai/

Marianne Bevis does a good write up.
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 pm

^^^
Good reading. Thanks, avasbar.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down