Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact

+16
oldlady
Márcia
UES
striker
TennisBhakt
Cheadlebeagle
Rufus1
norinchi
mariah1
Sherl
H.Z.
Marly 103-20
Rosaline
Steerpike60
HeartoftheMatter
ph∞be
20 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 3 Empty Re: 2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact

Post by Cromar Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:15 pm

Rosaline wrote:[...]
How will they deal with taking off points for tournaments that can't be played? 

Is there anyone here with the time and expertise to work out how the rankings will stand in 6 weeks from now if all those ranking points have been adjusted for tournaments not played? Do we already have such a table here - perhaps we do? 

Yes, on the Ranking chart (posted in the 'ATP Rankings' thread), the MIN column shows the minimum points players would have in the future if they didn't play, or got zero results.

I compiled these numbers in a small chart here that shows what the ranking of the top 25 players would be on April 27, after the six-week Tour suspension, with no tournament being played. Although it's understood that the ATP is looking at the issue and may (hopefully) come up with a different plan.

Surprisingly, with a couple of exceptions, the impact overall is not that startling.

Roger is the one who has the most points to defend during this period, so, in a sense, that hiatus would soften the impact his absence would have had on his rankings. Right behind him, in terms of points to defend, is Thiem, but he would still be able to maintain his No 3 ranking.

The big losers would be Fognini, winner of Monte-Carlo last year, who would shed more than 40% of his points and drop from No 11 to No 24 (-13). Ouch! Isner [21] and Lajovic [23] would be in a similar situation and drop down to the No 40's probably.

Others, who have little to defend, would benefit from the situation, like Fritz and Carreno-Busta going up +6 in the rankings without playing.

Note regarding the 'swap' column - ATP rule: "In weeks where there are not four (4) Grand Slams and eight (8) ATP Masters 1000 tournaments in the ranking period, the number of a player’s best results from all eligible tournaments in the ranking period will be adjusted accordingly".

In other words, players can count an additional 'best result' from their 'non-countable' pool for each major tournament missing. Monte-Carlo is not part of the eight Masters 1000 tournaments mentioned above, as it isn't mandatory; it gets counted as part of the 'best results'.

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 3 Rankin10

Cromar

Back to top Go down

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 3 Empty Re: 2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:41 pm

A good chart! An unusual year, indeed. The ATP site talks about players, and among then, praises Djokovic with his improved serve, along with a picture of 
the man serving.

It looks to my eyes, when he is at the farthest point that he'd dropped his racquet back, that he is preparing to transfer his power to his right arm. The arc of his leaning back seems not quite full, and it is because he is anticipating to hit with the right arm, rather thancarry that motion and have a free and full swing. He is relying on the big hitting more than a combination of swing and hit.
 I don't know how else to express this, but it is how I see it. Yes, he is serving better, and he made changes to his racquet, but not the size, I understand. I do wonder if he will hurt hsi arm or elbow or some other part again because of what I see. 
 Cromar, I agree it is a good idea for people to keep in touch with the forum.
 And I want everyone to stay well, if you please! Smile

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:58 am

The ranking points issue is not an easy decision, I imagine...

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:18 pm

The news is breaking that RG has unilaterally decided to change their dates for the 2020 tournament to September 20 - October 4.  Right after the USO and at the same time as the Laver Cup!

RG made this decision without consulting the ATP, WTA, or the players.  I can't imagine this is going to go over too well.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:44 pm

The decision was unilateral and I doubt very much that this is the end of it to be honest.  Players have 1 week to go from potentially 7 matches best of 5 to potentially 7 matches best of 5 with 1 week rest AND change timezones by 6h AND change surfaces to one which they have had no recent play on.  And what about qualifying - that will have to go into the 1 week transition as well.  And Rafa is supposed to defend both!!!

The statement from the FFT
https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/article/tournament-2020-coronavirus-rescheduled-2a-september-4-october

Hidden within this statement and removed from later Eurosport articles is this gem which is somewhat at the root of their decision I expect - they want to be able to showcase their new roof!

At this important period in its history, and since the progress of the stadium modernisation means the tournament can be held at this time, the FFT was keen to maintain the 2020 tournament. Therefore, this year’s Roland-Garros will be held from 20th September to 4th October.

The FFT was keen to maintain the tournament (Newsflash all the affected tournaments are!!) (showcase their modernisations!!)

This is a clickbait title: French Open's new dates in late September risk boycott by Rafael Nadal
I doubt very much that Rafa would prioritize LC over RG and he is not confirmed for LC as the article seems to indicate - only Roger is -
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/17/french-open-tennis-postponed-until-late-september-due-to-coronavirus

The players won't acquiesce quietly - absolutely no consultation -
https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2020/03/breaking-roland-garros-says-it-will-play-tournament-september/88029/

https://www.essentiallysports.com/tennis-players-angry-and-shocked-as-french-open-postpones-without-informing-players-council-atp-wta-tennis-news-2020/

The ATP and WTA were not consulted (although they were informed and communicated with!)
https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-03-17/french-open-delayed-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-organizers

FFT president Bernard Giudicelli said the organisation had communicated with the ATP, the WTA and the ITF and also informed the other Grand Slam organisers about their decision.

The ATP and WTA tournaments affected
https://www.essentiallysports.com/french-open-invites-disaster-18-tournaments-looking-at-cancellation-including-laver-cup-atp-tennis-news/

On the ATP calendar, the following tournaments are under threat of competition from Roland Garros –
St. Petersburg Open (September 21 to September 27)
Moselle Open (September 21 to September 27)
Laver Cup (September 25 to September 27)
Chengdu Open (September 28 to October 4)
Hujain Securities Zuhai Championships (September 28 to October 4)
Sofia Open (September 28 to October 4)
China Open (October 5 to October 11) Just one day after the French Open, so practically impossible for many tennis stars
Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships (October 5 to October 11)

On the WTA side, the following events will be clashing with Roland Garros –
Hana-Cupid Japan Women’s Open (September 14 to September 20)
Jiangxi Open (September 14 to September 20)
Zhengzhou Open (September 14 to September 20)
Guangzhou Open (September 21 to September 26)
KEB Hana Bank Korea Open 2020 (September 21 to September 27)
Today Pan Pacific Open (September 21 to September 27)
2020 Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open (September 27 to October 3)
Tashkent Open (September 28 to October 3)
China Open (October 3 to October 11)
Taipei OEC Open (October 5 to October 11)

The ATP and WTA are supposed to release a statement Wednesday.  With all of their tournaments affected by this unilateral decision it is hard to think that they will give in without a fight.  So many of their tournaments have had to be cancelled already with hardship to players fans and tournaments and then to effectively lose these other tournaments in all parts of the world, being played on appropriate surfaces, to one federation's unilateral decision so that they would not be forced to cancel, only postpone, it will be interesting to see how the tours respond. 

I would imagine that the players' WhatsApp is lighting up cyberspace!  I also imagine that the respective player councils are having some serious teleconferencing as well.  Pospisil wants a players' union - this might be the straw that broke the camel's back and they now have some time to pursue that avenue if that is the group's wish.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:21 pm

Hmm, I wonder if this change would give the younger top players an advantage...
 I would like to/need to see Roger playing, and without disadvantages. Time counts for him, and though it counts for everyone, Roger still has things to do, I think.
 Japan is anxious and determined to hold the Olympic Games and I can't blame them. How would that affect things....
 All these events have come at a very unwelcome time...but there is no good time for such things to happen.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:23 pm

"Being informed" of a decision already made is not good enough. The new roof at RG will be seen. That is not a priority at times like these.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 3 Empty Impact of Coronavirus on ATP Schedule

Post by Rosaline Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 pm

This was on Instagram - posted by Troll Tennis:

:"This year's Roland Garros will be played from September 20 to October 4!"

So will Laver Cup be deferred - or cancelled?

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:24 pm

From Simon Haring https://twitter.com/_shaering

Stammbach didn't even know!!  Not one of the scenarios the ITF discussed.

René Stammbach, Member of the Board of Directors of the ITF and in Self-Quarantine at this time, says: «I didn't know that. We discussed scenarios two weeks ago. But moving the French Open wasn't one of them. I'm surprised and don't know whether this makes sense.» #RolandGarros
Article in German:  https://www.luzernerzeitung.ch/sport/french-open-wegen-corona-virus-verschoben-spieler-kritisieren-das-ist-wahnsinn-ein-egoistischer-alleingang-der-franzosen-ld.1205041 

Read it in translation (no paywall) - scathing

From Chris Clarey:  https://twitter.com/christophclarey

Talked to ATP's Vasek Pospisil about French Open move “We're always trying to make it work for everybody, and they just haven’t consulted the ATP, the players or other tournaments. Just a very selfish move. They're basically doing a power play right now, and it’s quite arrogant”

Article:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/sports/tennis/french-open-postponed.html

Read the whole article (not under paywall because covid -19 related)  This part relates to Pospisil's comments and also the probable reasoning

“That’s insane,” Pospisil said in a telephone interview. “These are really rough times, unprecedented times, and this just goes against the whole idea of the tour working together. We have a calendar. We have discussions and negotiations between the Grand Slams and the ATP. We are always trying to make it work for everybody, and they just haven’t consulted the ATP, the players or the other tournaments. It’s just a very selfish move. They are basically doing a power play right now, and it’s quite arrogant.”

French Open organizers could not immediately be reached for a response to Pospisil’s comments. But the tournament organizers were clearly intent on preserving this year’s edition of their tournament after investing heavily in expansion and renovation in the last several years. This is to be the first year of use for the new retractable roof over the main court, the Philippe Chatrier Court, which will allow for night sessions and for play during rain.

From Jon Wertheim:  https://www.si.com/tennis/2020/03/17/french-open-postponed-september-coronavirus-repercussions

Interesting section

You have to credit the FFT for seeing opportunity and taking it, working on the premise that its prestige and prize money will cause players to change their behavior and schedule. On the other hand, we are in a new universe when events can unilaterally change their dates.

Again assuming this happens…it means players will have to transition from hardcourts to clay. It means that we will have an autumn major. It means we have established a precedent for the events making land grabs in this uncertain time.

Lots of question here. Do players from Team8—which puts on Laver Cup—consider boycotting? Do the concurrent tour events—now rendered all obsolete—initiate legal action? Does this become the new norm? Whatever, it’s a bold step. And the fallout begins in 3,2,1….

What about the other majors on the calendar? I am hearing from multiple sources that Wimbledon 2020 is looking like an iffy proposition and the club has little interest in a “closed doors” scenario, playing matches in front of no live audiences.

And let’s not forget about the Tokyo 2020 Olympics: As I write this, the Games are still on. But—as my colleague Michael Rosenberg laid out here—this is looking increasingly bleak. There are just way too many complications. In the off-chance the Olympics do continue as planned, look for most of the top players to withdraw. It’s too big a health risk. And too big a financial risk with two majors still pending.
Later on twitter he says

Just spoke to a top ATP pro: "[French Open] asked for forgiveness, not permission. Because they knew they wouldn't get permission. But I'm not sure they'll get forgiveness either."
For what it's worth - if this goes through, Laver Cup is a non-starter.  There is no way the top players the LC is designed to attract will go to Boston when 2000 points and a gazillion $ are on offer elsewhere.  Could very well be a moot point anyways.  If the world is in such a position that the USO and this retimed FO are able to proceed, then the NBA will have been able to restart.  The Boston Celtics will be given first dibs for the stadium.  Team8 may simply think, even if this doesn't happen, that the best thing to do is what they had originally thought - Olympic year and don't run it.  On the other hand, they have been given official status by the ATP and they will probably have to be part of the joint official ATP/WTA release tomorrow.  Remember as I posted above, there are 18 events, 17 of which offer points, that are affected by this unilateral decision, not just LC.  If the French Open runs as they have decided, ALL of these tournaments will be collateral damage.  Oh to be a fly on the wall of the scrambling discussions between the ATP, WTA and their respective player councils.  If they just acquiese and roll over, they will have lost all credibility - a road map has just been paved for the ITF to decide to play the DC finals in the prime spot post USO, ATP be dammed.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Turns out that the Guardian's headline was definitely misleading!! 

Guy Forget got Rafa on the phone and was given his blessing - keeps clay on the calendar this year.

The article from the French Press defending the FFT decision.

https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/tennis/roland-garros-la-federation-se-defend-apres-le-report-en-septembre-1876779.html

Automatic translation of the pertinent part, although I would recommend looking at the whole article, in translation if you don't read French, but the arrogance of it all is off-putting to me.  Basically presenting it to the ATP/WTA as a fait accompli - told them just ahead of the press conference!!  And smug about Rafa.
Faced with the slingshot of some of the players, the tournament management can boast of having been able to convince a major ally: the Spanish Rafael Nadal, twelve times winner of the tournament. "We had Rafa on the phone we tried to reach other players, said the president of the FFT during a press conference. It was Guy who got Rafa. His feeling is that it is a good decision that allows clay to stay on the calendar. "

Now, if it does stay as it is, will Rafa play the USO and try to defend his points there as well?

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:16 pm

From the USTA via Chris Clarey. 
https://twitter.com/christophclarey

The USTA says tennis's 2020 US Open is on schedule but does not rule out going to a later date. It also makes it clear it did not appreciate the way the French Open handled its date change today pic.twitter.com/8dsgdOv40K

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 3 ETWIDLAU0AAQXjQ?format=png&name=large

— Christopher Clarey (@christophclarey) March 17, 2020

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:24 am

Should be interesting to see how this plays out with the 3 GS... Hopefully things can work out and players can play all 3!
Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:30 am

I am just so saddened by this move from RG. When the world is in such turmoil and we are all trying to be kinder to each other this money grab is just AWFUL. Rafa be damned- I wish the rest of the world would boycott the RG.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by mariah1 Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:54 am

What about Wimby ?
mariah1
mariah1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:31 am

Statement from the Laver Cup published 4 hours ago. They intent to proceed as planned.

If I may add my two cents' worth, I find the unilateral decision of the FTF to move Roland Garros without consultation totally outrageous and hope that the tennis community (ATP, WTA, ITF, Players...) will come together and stop this nonsense!  Can't be true  

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:50 am

And the US Open 8 hours ago... with a little dig towards RG!

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum