Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madrid 2019 Presser & Interviews

Go down

Normal Madrid 2019 Presser & Interviews

Post by Cromar Thu May 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Mutua Madrid Open 2019 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference  SUN May 5, 2019

> ATP Pre-Tournament Interview (Video)

Federer In Madrid: 'I Was In The Mood To Play On Clay Again'

YouTube     ATP Tour - Published on May 5, 2019  
Roger Federer speaks about his decision to return to clay before the Mutua Madrid Open.

> Press Conference Transcript

MUTUA MADRID OPEN
May 5, 2019

Roger Federer

Madrid, Spain
Pre-Tournament Press Conference

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q.  We saw on your social media when you had your first hit on the clay. What was that like? What's it been like the past few days, weeks, training on a surface you haven't played on in a while?

ROGER  FEDERER: It's been good. It's been fun. I was lucky, we had good weather when I started. So that helped because I remember years ago -- or years ago -- three or four years ago, when I was practicing it was snowing, like this weekend in Switzerland, and that didn't inspire me very much to go, you know, go practice on clay, or go into an indoor bubble and stuff, so that -- this year was easy. I enjoyed myself a lot.

I'm happy also that the decision I took last, I guess around December, when I started feeling like I definitely want to do the clay, that it was the right decision, you know, because I haven't looked back at the clay-court build-up yet, or everything that I have been doing, like maybe I shouldn't have. It is really -- I'm happy, I'm here and I'm happy I'm on the surface, yeah.

Q.  I think you practised in Switzerland with Dan Evans.

ROGER  FEDERER: Um-hum.

Q.  I wonder why it was that you invited him when we wouldn't think of him particularly as a clay-court player and how did it go?

ROGER  FEDERER: Oh, yeah, I mean, like it doesn't have to be that specific sometimes, you know. You are just looking also at some players that are available, you know. I think we were looking in that very moment at players that were not in a tournament or who have just lost at a tournament. And we reached out to him and he was ready to come.

And it's also interesting sometimes to play with a one-handed backhand player who has got a slice and stuff and I know Dan, and he is a nice guy, and it was going to be a three-day, or four days I think it was -- a four-day practice week. And he was flexible and he could react very quickly. So, it was good. We had two tough days, it was so windy. It was unbelievable. I've never had practices in winds. You should ask him about it. It was hilarious. Anyway, it was good fun and I was happy he came.

Q.  Roger, I'm sure you have been following all the news around Justin Gimelstob and what happened with his situation. In light of that, in light of the reaction, what are your thoughts on it? And also what does it mean for the ATP and maybe Chris Kermode's future? Could he come back in or stay on longer?

ROGER  FEDERER: Yeah, I haven't thought about it really a whole lot, about Chris's situation because I saw it in isolation. For Justin, you know -- yeah, I mean, I don't know exactly the process, when the votes are happening, when the new CEO, all this stuff gets decided. But he'll probably -- anyway it may be should be put back into the thing, you know -- I don't know what you call that -- in the mix, good word. But then again I don't know if he would want to be after everything that happened. Sometimes when these things happen, it is like okay, I had a good run, and it's okay to go. So I don't know what -- I haven't seen Chris for some time now. I only saw him briefly in Indian Wells and I haven't spoken to him at all so I don't know where he stands.

And in light of the Justin situation, I think it's definitely the right move by Justin. He needs to go back and figure things out. There is no doubt about that. And the Tour needs to keep moving forward in these challenging times and important times right now.

So I was speaking to also to some of the players on the Council to get a feel where they were standing -- was it last weekend or the weekend before that when everything was brewing? And I'm happy that the decision was taken by Justin and that now we can move forward and really like learn from what had happened also.

Q.  Do you think it's hurt tennis's image to have Justin stay on as part of the board as soon as he was facing these charges? And Stan Wawrinka's written a letter to The Times saying tennis has been complicit by staying silent during the whole process a lot of people were concerned once he was sentenced to the lack of profile that, high profile names speaking out and saying it is time for him to go. And while that is good that he's stepped away, do you not think there should have been more vocal action from the tennis community being like you need to leave now?

ROGER  FEDERER: Well, I'm not going to come out on social media and all of a sudden comment on stuff, you know. And I was not in the press. If I would have been at an event, you could ask asked me. But I was home. Nobody knocked on my door. Then I would have given my comment. But I'm not going to come out on social media and start commenting about it. Sometimes there is also a process. Sometimes also -- when I usually do it is behind closed doors, not through the media. I know you guys will enjoy that a bit more sometimes, but I don't. So, and when you do ask me question, I always try to really answer it truthfully and as openly as possible.

So, yeah, I could have spoken out, but I was not around, you know. And stuff could have been done differently in the past, you know. But again, this is in the past now and I'm sure mistakes were done whatever, you know, how big or whatever reason it was. That's what I mention also we need to learn from what had happened, you know, and really move on in the good direction because it's an opportunity for sure.

Q.  Back to the clay. I'm wondering for you whether any particular things that you found tricky to get readjusted to the surface? And yeah, if you can answer that.

ROGER  FEDERER: Not too much, funnily enough. Look, it takes some time getting used to how to construct the points maybe a little bit more. Because there is more baseline, there is a possibility to play with more angles and height, I guess, off a hard ball you can roll it and spin it and go loopy, whereas on a faster court you almost have to hit against it. It is hard to take pace off the ball.

So, from that standpoint, it's been interesting and fun. But not so challenging, to be honest. But then again, matches might be a completely different story because in the practice you can -- it is always okay to take chances and not get rewarded, you walk away from any and you're like, who cares? In the match, every point matters, so it will be interesting to see how as the tournament goes. I have not high expectations in some ways, but at the same time I also know that things are possible. I mean Madrid always plays fast with the altitude here, so intrigued to find out myself. But it's been good so far.

Q.  I would like you to tell me something about David Ferrer on his retirement. Some memories, your opinion about his career?

ROGER  FEDERER: Yeah, look, I'm a big admirer of his work ethic and personality. Of course, also his success. But the person comes first and he's -- the guy has been so solid for the last 20 years. He's always been the same guy and I have always appreciated that. We've always had for the little we speak together, you know -- or as much as we speak together -- it's always been one of a lot of respect and, obviously, we've had some good matches over the years.

They all went my way -- okay, fine. But I don't see it the head-to-head that way, you know. I see a guy -- he's at my level and I look to him eye-to-eye, you know. And so I'm happy for him that he was able to take the decision and really he seemed genuinely happy because he is also playing well now at the end of his career and he can go out on his terms and for any top athlete like he is, that is the dream, you know, that you can leave on your terms. And I hope it is going to be a wonderful experience for him. I'm sure he will be a little torn in his heart that it's coming to an end. But yet he's going to feel the love from the people. And that was already a case in Barcelona as well when he played Rafa there and now again here in Madrid. It is going to be great.

He has all the respect from my side. He doesn't need to prove himself anymore. And I just wish him all the very best for what is to come with his family and his future.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Swiss.

Madrid 2019 Presser & Interviews ASAPsportsLogo1

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports - Tennis

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Mutua Madrid Open 2019 - R2 (May 7)

Post by Cromar Sat May 11, 2019 12:58 am

Mutua Madrid Open 2019 - R2 Press Conference  TUE May 7, 2019

Round 2 - Manolo Santana Stadium - 8:00 pm
Roger Federer  Switzerland  d.  Richard Gasquet  France   :  6-2, 6-3   Match Stats

> Post-Match Interview

Federer: It's Great To Be Back On Clay In Madrid 2019

Roger Federer talks about his victorious return to clay and to the 2019 Mutua Madrid Open.

> Press Conference (Video)

Roger Federer: "I would love to play against Nadal on clay"

Roger Federer full Press Conference after his match vs Richard Gasquet - Madrid 2019.

MUTUA MADRID OPEN
May 7, 2019

Roger Federer

Madrid, Spain

R. FEDERER/R. Gasquet
6-2, 6-3

Q. Clay is a more tiring surface, but you played quite well on clay for the year, so are you happy in Madrid, or was it a change that you improvised?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't think we're going to get very tired in Madrid because conditions don't play fast here. You can really use the bounce to the court to shorten points if you really want to.

The question is like is the risk going to pay off sometimes? Of course, it is clay at the end of the day. There are bad bounces. It also is not always simple to take the ball on.

But, look, I'm very happy to be back on clay. Super happy to be back here in Madrid. The crowds and the ovation I got before and after the game were great. It really makes you feel like that was the right choice to come to Madrid, so that felt good.

The first game went well. I didn't think Richard was at his best, far off. But from my side, it was a good match.

Q. How much have you missed the sensation of playing on clay, the sliding and all the technical challenges it throws up to a player?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, look, not too much, to be quite honest with you. I'd love to tell you, I miss it so much. Once you take a decision -- I mean, I missed it in '16 because I was in Paris. I was really trying everything to get in shape and that was a very frustrating period for me. When I came here I had to pull out because my knee was swollen and I played Rome because I had a bad back and a bad knee because I broke my back here on top of all things, so that's maybe when I missed playing Paris the most.

The following year, it was a decision for my longevity, for my health, for my family.

Last year, I just felt like, you know what, it worked so well in '17, let's do the same thing again in '18. And I didn't really miss it because I was enjoying myself at home and having a good time and again, looking at the longevity.

Once the decision was upon me again for this year, if I would have skipped the clay again, I think I would have felt like that's not the right decision. I would have always felt regrets not being on the clay in 2019 because my knee problem is far enough away now because that was still playing a little bit part of our decision in '17 to be quite honest, not from my side but more from the team.

So, it feels good to be back on the clay now and I enjoy it to be honest. Some of these rallies where you get pushed to the side, you slide, you hit the ball, you slide, you hit the ball, you come back into it, then you can defend in a different manner than you do on the hard courts, or on the grass.

Q. Now, it's been ten years since your last big tournament against Rafa on clay here. Would you like to play against him in the final?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, that means I'm in the finals. And I didn't have many chances to beat him the last three years on clay (laughing), so years go by quickly.

Sure I remember back to the finals here in Madrid as one of my good matches on clay, no doubt about it. I think he was pretty tired as well. I played solid. Yeah, of course, I would love to play on clay against him again, even though I know it's a tough challenge and all that.

But again it would be nice to have played him at the beginning of his the career on clay and also at the very end and see how it all plays out. And if I said I don't want to play him on clay, I think then I would have made a mistake to be on the clay in the first place because he is the measuring stick for all us players.

Q. We think of clay as being long points and very physical. Tonight was nothing like that. It was gone in a flash. You were saying Madrid is different.

ROGER FEDERER: It is different.

Q. Do you think you can play like that throughout this swing?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I think Paris is going to be very different. Of course, you add maybe some colder conditions and rain to it, you know. You'll have to play differently, have a different approach, different mindset. But I think here in Madrid you can definitely come in with a hard court mindset, to some extent.

Take the ball on and it's easier to stay in the sets just because you can serve your way out of trouble which maybe you cannot do time and time again on other clay court events like Monaco, maybe Barcelona. I haven't been there in so long, but everything at sea-level plays different, you know. So that's why I know Madrid is not Paris, you know, and then of course I don't know how the conditions are going to be exactly, I haven't played with the balls over there. There's going to be a switch in ball manufacturers as well, so we have to see.

This is definitely not traditional clay courts in the sense because you can play and this is altitude for us players.

Q. You said that you took the decision of playing on clay in the last season and I would like to know what kind of work that you did with Paganini in order to prevent your knee being swollen again?

ROGER FEDERER: This was not about the knee. This was more about preparing for extended rallies which I knew I wanted to work on because of the problems I had at the US Open with the heat.

I just think a lot of things led to that problem at the US Open. I had a stiff back, I guess, from sort of post-Wimbledon until I end up pre-season as well a little bit and because I have been on the hard and grass courts for so long, rallies were always on the shorter side, I'd say, especially since Cincinnati anyway and it was mild and I had a desire to work again especially in fitness because the matches didn't allow me to extend the rallies as much, you know, to work on playing longer points and that, obviously, is what you need on clay maybe.

We'll see. Maybe it will be just one game in Paris and it was all for nothing. Still, I think it helps for any surface, you know, to be really tough when the rallies go long. And I feel very strong right now. And obviously we worked on that in December already.

So the knee has been long gone, to be honest. That was all done by mid-'17 I'd say after I won Wimbledon.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Mutua Madrid Open 2019 - R3 (May 9)

Post by Cromar Sat May 11, 2019 1:37 am

Mutua Madrid Open 2019 - R3 Press Conference  THU May 9, 2019

Round 3 - Manolo Santana Stadium - 4:00 pm
Roger Federer  Switzerland  d.  Gael Monfils  France   :  6-0, 4-6, 7-63 Match Stats

> Post-Match Interview

Federer Discusses Thrilling Monfils Match

YouTube   ATP Tour - Published on May 9, 2019  
Watch Roger Federer talk about his three-set win against Gael Monfils in the third round of the Mutua Madrid Open.

> 1200th ATP Tour win

Roger Federer Magic in 1200th ATP Tour win

YouTube   Tennis TV - Published on May 9, 2019  
Roger Federer was on top form as he became just the second man to reach 1200 ATP Tour wins...

MUTUA MADRID OPEN
May 9, 2019

Roger Federer

Madrid, Spain

R. FEDERER/G. Monfils
6-0, 4-6, 7-6

Q. The first set, too easy. Then what happened? The wind, or Monfils?

ROGER FEDERER: It cannot go on like this. You can dream about 6-Love, 6-Love (smiling) but they never happen. I think that's the beauty of the scoring system that if you win the first set, everything's back to scratch in the second set.

And I don't remember the break in the first game, but I think Gael showed great intensity in the beginning of the second set to make sure that he somehow gets a rhythm going and he starts playing better and he did.

And I guess even though I got back and had my chances and it was a pity I couldn't get the break in the second set when he served and volleyed on second serve to go up 5-4. That would have been a nice break to get.

I had a tough five games in a row where I lost, I am down 3-1 and eventually 4-1 in the third.

I think it was a combination of Gael really able to maybe be better from the baseline. It was swirly, so it was harder to hit winners. I believe as the wind picks up, you play safer and he is such a fast mover so it's harder to get past him at some stage. If you don't serve well, it is extra hard.

And I just kept on believing, fighting, hoping that something could maybe go my way, and it did. So, I also needed a bit of luck at the end and a bit of inspired tennis, I guess, to some extent, and it all worked out and I played a good breaker, so that was nice. So, I'm very happy.

Q. You said the other day that playing Nadal was sort of the yardstick for knowing how good you are on clay this year. But next up you have Dominic Thiem who beat Rafa last week in Barcelona. And he is, arguably, many might consider him as the man to beat here given his form recently. What do you expect from that match? And how much of an indicator it will be for your own level going forward?

ROGER FEDERER: No doubt about it, it would show that -- the match regardless gives me a lot of information. I think this Monfils match as well. These are guys you have to close out. Thiem the same thing. He plays with a lot of topspin, a lot of kick. He is not just going to go through a match on clay where he is not going to hit a ball into the court. That might happen sometimes on a really fast court and he might struggle a bit more if you are able to press and put him under pressure all the time.

On clay, you would think that that is not going to happen so I have to come up with the goods there so he's definitely a great test, like Monfils was early in the clay court season for me, still knowing that Madrid plays very different to the French Open.

But Thiem has been playing great. Recently, winning Barcelona and also Indian Wells. I also saw what he could do on the slower, harder courts, not that I needed him to prove his point. But I think beating Rafa in Barcelona is a feat in itself. I still believe that Rafa is the measuring stick and not Dominic. But we will see how it all plays out.

Q. Having saved two match points, does that make you feel extra confident right now or nothing because you had to face that situation?

ROGER FEDERER: It makes me feel extra relieved (smiling). It gives me some confidence because winning always solves a lot of problems that you might have. Instead of seeing a things bit more cloudy and rainy, you see it more on the sunny side you know. And you don't win matches every day saving match points, so they are unique in many ways and it makes you feel good, but it is more relief I feel right now.

Q. Do you think it is still possible to win a Grand Slam before the age of 20?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes. Why not? It's going to be tough, but it can definitely happen because a man's body is ready to win I think Slams at 18, 19. It is all a question of the body and where your game is at.

The mind will follow and especially when you are young, you can start dreaming big and make it happen, so it is definitely possible. It is not impossible. But it's tough.

Q. You came to the net a lot today. Is that a benefit of altitude? Could you imagine doing that at Roland Garros? What was going through your mind doing it on a second serve down match point?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I think it is an option to be used on a hot and sunny day in Paris, too. I always thought that serve and volleying on a hot day on clay almost has more reward than on a grass court sometimes because the ball jumps out of the strike zone a little bit more and it's harder to press it down again into the feet of the attacking net player, so I think serve and volley can work very well on the clay.

Even more so here in Madrid and on match point, I just felt like not so confident to win the point from the baseline, so I said panic mode is switched on and we are coming in (smiling). Regardless of how and what and when, there was no more tactics except to serve it to the forehand to mix it up and you go to the net as quick as possible so you are as close as possible and I framed the first volley, which ended up being perfect (laughing).

Q. I spoke to Dominic Thiem this afternoon. He says a lot of people are underestimating your ability this week. Do you feel that in any way?

ROGER FEDERER: I want to make sure I understood correctly.

Q. I spoke to Dominic Thiem this afternoon. He says a lot of people are underestimating your ability this week. Do you feel that in any way?

ROGER FEDERER: I'm not sure. I think, like myself, anything is sort of possible, you know. The very good, the very bad, you know. But it's tough to just come out and play fantastic tennis. I also have to come to terms with how to play on clay again, what's normal, which points to lose and which points to win again.

There's always these natural things that you go through for weeks on the clay usually, so I don't have that much time, so I have to accept errors that maybe I wouldn't do normally and just move on with it.

I don't think anybody's really underestimating me because I'm not coming back from an injury. I've had a good start to the season this year. And it is pretty fast here in Madrid and I've won here in the past, so I guess players maybe know I don't have that much clay court tennis in me in the last few years, but that doesn't make me less dangerous to be quite honest.

Q. Today has been the day where you heard for the 1,200th time that of 'game, set and match for Roger Federer'. I would like to ask you if you could pick your two or three most special victories in your life, and say why they are so special?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I only heard it after the match that I reached 1,200. I didn't know about it going in to be honest. So, most special, I'm not sure. Maybe beating Ferrero in Australia to get world No. 1 for the first time, February '04. That gave me the chance to be world No. 1 for the first time. And maybe Safin as well in Hamburg 2002 when I won. That match made me, put me top ten for the first time. I think it put me into No. 8 in the world. And of course Wimbledon, 2003 against Philipoussis.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Madrid2

Post by Cromar Sun May 12, 2019 1:59 am

Mutua Madrid Open 2019 - QF Press Conference  FRI May 10, 2019

Quarter Final - Manolo Santana Stadium - 5:00 pm
Dominic Thiem  Austria  d.  Roger Federer  Switzerland  :  3-6, 7-611, 6-4 Match Stats

> Brilliant Points in Thiem v Federer Battle

YouTube     Tennis TV - Published on May 10, 2019  
Some HUGE hitting out there...

MUTUA MADRID OPEN
May 10, 2019

Roger Federer

Madrid, Spain

D. THIEM/R. Federer
3-6, 7-6, 6-4

Q. Despite your loss today, are you still confident for Paris now, as you played against one of the best players on tour on clay and you came so close, obviously?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I feel very good about my game. I thought I had some good matches here, you know, especially last two. First one was good to get into it.

And obviously, Gael and Dominic are tough on the clay so it was a good battle. I feel good on the clay right now.

Q. I want to know if you had just decided if you go to Rome or not?

ROGER FEDERER: No, that's why I'm in the draw. I couldn't make the decision before the game so, unfortunately, I had to wait and see how this match plays out today, if it was going to be 6-Love 6-Love or 7-6 in the third.

Winning or losing, it all matters, so it was an early ask for me to take that decision. I wanted to keep options open and that is why I'm in the draw. I'll probably only decide on the weekend, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go.

Q. It is difficult to say now, but are we going to see you in Madrid next year again?

ROGER FEDERER: If you are going to see me next year in Madrid?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: As a tourist, maybe. As a tennis player, maybe. I've no idea. I don't know what my clay court plans are for next year.

But I enjoy playing here. I had a great week. People couldn't have been friendlier to me. I thought I played good. I have good memories from this place, so of course I can see myself coming back, but I don't know at this point.

Q. Is it a disappointment because you had opportunities or relief and happiness because you played a great week after so long not being on the clay?

ROGER FEDERER: I feel sweaty (smiling) and the last doesn't matter. No, it's been a good week. Frustrating, clearly. Losing with match points is the worst, so that's how I feel. But nevertheless, if I take a step back, it's all good.

Q. Doing well at the Roland Garros, second week for example, means you play less tournaments on grass. Perhaps you'll go to Stuttgart?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I'm not signed in for Stuttgart, so I just thought it was a lot of grass court tennis last year, so I just felt, like, maybe only Halle is better for me and that's the plan.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Madrid 2019 Presser & Interviews

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum