Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 General Tennis News

+12
TuTi_fanofRFed
wcr
Chrigi
federerworshipper
ph∞be
Kop8zky
norinchi
HeartoftheMatter
UES
Márcia
Steerpike60
Cromar
16 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2019 General Tennis News

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 pm

That would be funny! Service dogs could do the job, well, I am sure! How about ....cats?
That Kevin Anderson fellow, he has a sense of humor! It is a good quality to have in a dog-eats-dog world! Very Happy

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:41 pm

Regarding Delpo, a further consideration is why he is getting injured so frequently. As I considered before, it could be that he has delicate joints. Also, and his doctors must have looked into this, does he have some underlying issue that makes him more prone to injury? Some people are prone to have lax joints so their joints can get dislocated easily, but the cause it not known.
However, it appears to be sports-related for Delpo. I wish him the best and speedy recovery. It must be hard to be sidelined like that, on top of having the reality of pain and pain and surgery.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Tsitsipas may be a tennis pro, but he has another love: photography... and he is pretty good at it. He has his own YouTube channel. This is his latest VLog, from Nevis Island, with a little mishap! Wink Gif

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 am

Almagro Announces Retirement From Professional Tennis

Tennis-Tourtalk.com

2019 General Tennis News - Page 4 D3nmeESX4AABfnf
Nicolas Almagro (photo: Murcia Club de Tenis)

MURCIA, April 8, 2019

This week’s Murcia Open ATP Challenger event will be the last tournament for Nicolas Almagro as a professional tennis player. This was announced by the former World No. 9 in a press conference on Monday morning.

“I was part of a historical era of this sport. There have been many victories and many defeats. Many told me that I could have achieved more, but I have given everything to tennis and tennis to me,” Almagro said. “I will stop competing professional tennis here in my home town, in front of my family and friends at this wonderful tournament.”

Almagro played his last tournament at the Szczecin Open in September last year. The 33-year-old Spaniard struggled with a left knee injury lately. Currently unranked Almagro has won 13 ATP Tour titles from 23 finals, all on clay, and he has played just 10 ATP Challenger events after 2006, winning five titles at this level but none since Genova in 2015. The Murcia native will open his home campaign against fellow Spaniard Mario Vilella Martínez on Tuesday.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:56 pm

Olympics: Men's final reduced to three sets for Tokyo 2020

BBC SPORT
3 April, 2019

2019 General Tennis News - Page 4 _106291947_olympics
Andy Murray beat Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro to win gold at Rio 2016
- the final Olympics match to be played over five sets

The Olympic men's singles final has been reduced to best of three sets, meaning only Grand Slam matches will be played over five sets in the future.

The change will come into effect for the 2020 Games in Tokyo.

Another change sees men's and women's doubles matches decided by a match tie-break to 10 points in the third set.

"These amendments reduce concerns of overplay for players who reach the latter stages of all three events," the International Tennis Federation said.

The men's final being played over three sets brings it in line with the other singles matches at the Games, while the men's and women's doubles will follow the same format as the mixed.

Britain's Andy Murray won what proved to be the last best of five sets Olympics final by beating Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro at Rio 2016.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:50 am

The Gerry Weber Open in Halle could have a new name starting this summer already, according to Miles.

However, the tournament did post a notice on their website that the financial difficulties of the 'Gerry Weber International AG' company will have no effect on the business operation of the event and that it will continue to carry out as planned, since the company that operates the 'Gerry Weber Stadiom' and 'Sportpark' - the 'Gerry Weber Management & Event Co.' - is a legally independent company.

No more “Gerry Weber” in Halle

By Stephanie Myles  - Tennis.Life
April 8, 2019

2019 General Tennis News - Page 4 Halle

The Gerry Weber Open, played in the 'Gerry Weber Stadion', will no longer have anything to do with Gerry Weber.

The German fashion company is in insolvency proceedings. The company announced the closing of 120 stores and the loss of 454 jobs Friday.

Title sponsorship costs them $4.7 million US annually. And tournament director Ralf Weber (son of Gerry) confirmed to 'Die Glocke' that from 2020, the tournament will have a new sponsor.

They hope to have one in place before this year’s edition in June.

It’s a tourney most associated with Roger Federer, who has won it nine times.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:29 am

Cromar wrote:You can edit your posts, UES! Smile
Is that a hint? I do the same thing at times. I do correct some typos, or add some thing and correct then. But I may notice that I do have a typo, or a spelling mistake, etc. and to go back again...? Very careless, I know, but it is like speaking when I write here. And it is also lazy and shameful, as I did everything in publishing, proofreading, copy editing and editing. And I liked my work, which also involved planning the books for publishing about two years' ahead, so there were different stages of work ongoing.
I am still lazy nowadays. So sorry, Cromar. With all the nice work you do--those charts would drive me crazy....no, I couldn't even do them--you deserve a better effort. I shall try. When I use a pen, it is different!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:42 am

I just went back, having read the last posts on this page, and saw that Almagro is really retiring. I am sorry, but it is probably best for him now. I liked his play, and I always thought that Nadal overshadowed him of course, with power and height and muscle, but Almagro had a better game, in my opinion.
It is good that he is finishing at his home town tournament. He has had a good career, and his play and presence won't be forgotten. I was annoyed with him only once, when it seemed that he allowed RN to walk all over him. As I said, I considered his game better than his compatriot's. I think we are seeing more players leaving. It has been happening more in the past year, but I seems to be happening more frequently, and I don't particularly like it, for a number of reasons.
And Gerry Weber! I bet it is those online companies selling everything! I defend the brick and mortar department stores, especially. They have more in types of products: you can find everything for your personal use, and for the household, whereas the online products come with certain things, and other than "shapewear" you don't find regular clothes, such as regular underwear, or something other than what is right on trend. A certain line of cooking ware comes but it is just that thing. So many things are not available, and on top of it I like to see, feel and touch things I buy.
I note that much of the clothes are made with minimal material, so little that if at the seams there is a tiny loosening you cannot sew it up again.
Off Topic, this last! It's the Weber line that reminded me of one of my peeves.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:46 am

Olympics is going to be worth even less, or less valuable! In most other sports, it is the height, but not in tennis. A Grand Slam title, because of the quality and number of entrants, and the amount of play required, deserves hugely more respect!
For one who always loved the Olympics, it is disappointing that it does not have the same cachet for tennis as it does for most other sports. And now, they simplify it even more! It is ridiculous, for an Olympic medal. Instead, have the schedules in the ATP tournaments and Grand Slams better timed.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 pm

^^^ IMO, the Olympics are all about those sports in which the Olympic medal truly is the highest achievement and what you work your whole life for. That is the not the case for tennis or many other mainstream sports that have been added to the Olympics.

I get that winning a gold medal for your country is a cool thing. But from a tennis perspective, the Olympic event is nothing special. It's on par maybe with a M1000... probably more like a M750, ha.

Personally, they should have kept the Gold medal match as a best-of-5 but the other rounds are fine being Best-of-3. And thankfully they added TBs starting with the last Olympics - we all know how that lengthy Fed/Delpo match basically ruined Roger for the gold-medal match against Murray.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Gimelstob pleaded no contest. Basically he committed felony assault and got off with a slap on the wrist. One wonders what will happen with his seat on the ATP board or his TTC gig:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2019/04/22/tennis-broadcaster-justin-gimelstob-pleads-in-assault-case/39380879/
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:27 pm

That sounds like real assault and not horseplay, all right! Something must have happened, or said. His best friend? Maybe a resentment triggered by something at that time. Still, I am surprised. Not even a face to face to begin with.
I remember Gimelstob playing, and also how he used to dive for the ball, and would hurt himself over and over again, so his doctor told him not to do that, but he couldn't stop it. Then his back got bad, and he retired from pro tennis.
Sorry for his former friend, I guess, unless there was an actual reason and they make up in the future. And the children were around?

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 pm

Once again, adios, Almagro! He had a good game. The only thing is that at times I felt that maybe he could have done better against Nadal. But looking back, it was the sheer force of Nadal that probably stopped him.
It is good that he is leaving pro tennis feeling satisfied, that he has given to tennis and that tennis also has given to him. That is the good way, and that is how I see him, too. These tennis pros are special people: it is not an easy life, actually.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by TuTi_fanofRFed Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:01 pm

The ATP Finals will move from pasty to pasta from 2021-2025.

Turin To Host ATP Finals From 2021 To 2025

Season finale to move from London, the tournament city since 2009

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/turin-to-host-atp-finals-from-2021-to-2025
TuTi_fanofRFed
TuTi_fanofRFed

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:32 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:That sounds like real assault and not horseplay, all right! Something must have happened, or said. His best friend? Maybe a resentment triggered by something at that time. Still, I am surprised. Not even a face to face to begin with.
I remember Gimelstob playing, and also how he used to dive for the ball, and would hurt himself over and over again, so his doctor told him not to do that, but he couldn't stop it. Then his back got bad, and he retired from pro tennis.
 Sorry for his former friend, I guess, unless there was an actual reason and they make up in the future. And the children were around?

You should read the victim's impact statement.  Explains some of their history:

https://tennis.life/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Randall-Kaplan-Victim-Impact-Statement.pdf
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 pm

ATP Finals moving to Turin in 2021

Roger on Facebook

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content