Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2021

+13
Ramm
Steerpike60
UES
Rosaline
Jmrf
federerworshipper
Márcia
striker
Marly 103-20
wcr
HeartoftheMatter
Sherl
Cromar
17 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2021

Post by Cromar Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 am

That should sheer you up! Smile  

Finally some news from Roger about tennis...

Cromar

witchie49 and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue May 18, 2021 10:29 pm

https://www.rts.ch/sport/tennis/12208792-atp-geneve-le-positif-est-que-je-peux-rejouer-au-tennis-lache-roger-federer.html

There is certainly a google translation somewhere.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Normal Tennis first take, Geneva

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed May 19, 2021 1:39 am

Thanks, Marcia. I was hoping for something from Roger. Of course he expressed disappointment, but did conclude that at least he could play tennis again. 
 Roger is lauded as the "man with the magic arm" an expression borrowed from (?)a baseball, perhaps, although one could apply it to tennis when the serve is the most powerful weapon for some players. Of course, for Roger, despite his amazing forehands, so much more is in the play than just his magic arm. But then the writer used the expression as a compliment.
  The article deduced that nothing can replace competition. Give the nature of the game, the speed of serves and returns, the power and the quick pace, that is true. A player at this level has to be tuned up, in smooth play and rhythm, in order to get those almost instinctive shots that can make a real difference. And the confidence part figures hugely. I imagine a player also has to play purely in his head at times, as in imagining, because the mind is affected with the imagined movements that are invoked involuntarily, akin to a faint "pinging" of the body/mind circuitry.
 Roger has done it before, even if the time away had not been quite as long. 
 What counts is the fact that he was in competition, had a good taste of it. Like others after not being in regular tournament play, he will have to keep to the course after losing here. Proceed, champion!
 Roger, allez! King  RF Tennis News 2021 - Page 4 2b05  RF Tennis News 2021 - Page 4 1f1ec-1f1e7

HeartoftheMatter

witchie49 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Normal clarification

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sat May 29, 2021 1:13 pm

Would this be a good news story, something a little different to add to Roger's tally? I am referring to Roger getting two special events:
   Wimbledon
   Olympic singles
It would look good on his list of accomplishments, upping his Wimbledon title count and adding to the gold in doubles, and the silver and bronze that he has in singles.

HeartoftheMatter

Cromar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat May 29, 2021 6:00 pm

That would be the dream year! Sunny
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat May 29, 2021 6:44 pm

FEDERER: YOU NEED TO PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE

SATURDAY 29 MAY 2021 - DAN IMHOFF (Roland Garros)

Swiss star accepts limitations but says it 'doesn't mean I ain't going to be hard to beat'

RF Tennis News 2021 - Page 4 55ce94db-a6e3-43bb-839d-b28f0347b0cb_20210527_RG_CD_3164_web

:copyright:️ Corinne Dubreuil / FFT

Few players can attest to carrying the burden of expectations on their shoulders at every stop quite like Roger Federer.

The 39-year-old returned to practise on Court Phillipe-Chatrier this week, decked out in the same Swiss red and white as when he first strode onto court for his much-hyped Grand Slam debut at Roland-Garros 22 years ago.

At polar ends of his career, the 20-time major champion accepts those expectations have shifted, as they should for an elder statesman of the men’s game, having barely hit a match ball in more than a year after rehabilitation from two right knee surgeries.

His sole clay-court lead-up event on home soil in Geneva may not have gone according to plan – a first-round departure against veteran Spaniard Pablo Andujar – but the big picture was never about one match.

“You just need to put yourself out there,” he said in Geneva. “Sometimes it's not fun when you know where your limitations are. Obviously, for me it's always difficult because people expect a lot from me and I have high expectations for myself so when I walk out of a match today and I think ‘My God, I could play so much better’, it feels strange, it's disappointing but at the same time this is the process I need to go through.”

Despite there being 58 majors between them, Federer is not losing sleep after Thursday’s draw pitted him in the same quarter as Novak Djokjovic and in the same half as both his 'Big Three' contemporaries.

Seeded eighth, he opens his 19th Roland-Garros campaign against Uzbekistan’s Denis Istomin, a qualifier he has not fallen to in seven prior showdowns.

Having reached the quarter-finals or better in 11 of his past 12 appearances on the clay in Paris, he knows what it takes to play his way into this event.

He also knows to accept his limitations.

“I’m just realistic that I know I will not win [Roland-Garros] and whoever thought I would or could win it is wrong,” Federer said.

“Of course crazier things might have happened, but I’m not so sure in the last 50 years at [Roland-Garros] somebody just rocked up at 40 years old being out for a year and a half and just go on to win everything in straight or in five sets.

“I know my limitations at the moment, but that doesn't mean I ain't going to be hard to beat.”

One man who shared the practice court with the Swiss in Geneva was world No.15 Gael Monfils. The Frenchman held no doubt the level was still there and that no contender would relish seeing their name drawn against Federer's.

"If he comes here, it's that he still feels that he can do something very good," Monfils said. "I am as impatient as you to see how he will handle this. It's interesting to see how a legend like him will handle it all, all these questions, that everyone in the world is asking.

"From my point of view, athletically-speaking, what I saw in one weekend, it was already extraordinary. I think he's going to be not easy to match, by a lot of the players."

Beyond the pandemic, much has changed since Federer’s most recent outing at a major – the 2020 Australian Open.

Whether his best – with limitations – is still enough to challenge again at the pointy end of the Slams will become apparent should his body hold up.

RF Tennis News 2021 - Page 4 A7f4e5df-f170-490f-bf28-be67a5e9901d_20210528_RG_CL_9110_web

“I think the moment I’m healthy or able to get matches under my belt, get used to being out on court, serving for hours, recovering, doing the same thing again, that will all just increase my confidence and then I believe I will be part of the top tier.” Federer said.

“One thing is for sure, that generation of Tsitsipases and Zverevs and Rublevs, the Medvedevs, have all again got better naturally because they have all got more experience.

“Dominic won a Slam in the meantime, Rafa and Novak are still where they are… For me that will be an extra challenge, extra hard for me to find that level, but I guess I knew from the get-go it was never going to be simple regardless of whether I was going to be out for three months or a year.”
Cromar
Cromar

Márcia, HeartoftheMatter and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun May 30, 2021 10:33 pm

Cromar, do we have a dedicated Roland Garros thread for Roger? Or a spec one for the grand slam? I am not finding it... Am I lost?

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 am

Sorry, HotM! I am not ignoring you, but I didn't see your post until now! Facepalm

I know that you found the thread by now! Giggle
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Roland Garros 2021

Post by Cromar Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:57 am

Against (almost) all expectations, Roger reached the third round at Roland Garros by winning his second round match today against Marin Cilic (6-3, 2-6, 7-6(4), 6-2).

PLAYER OF THE DAY:
ROGER FEDERER

Not much was expected from Federer this year at Roland Garros, but he's playing some fantastic tennis.

By Cale Hammond | Tennis.com
Published Jun 03, 2021

No clay season? No problem for Roger Federer, who dismissed Marin Cilic in four sets to advance to the Roland Garros third round for the 13th consecutive time.

Not much was expected from the Maestro this tournament, who probably only played to get some valuable best three of five set match play before his much anticipated return to Wimbledon in July. But of course, the 39-year-old looks fantastic.

“I surprised myself a little bit,” Federer said after his match. “I didn’t expect myself to play that well or have the energy left at the end of this.”

Federer was especially pleased with his performance in the pivotal third set tiebreak.

"I haven’t been in those in forever, so it was nice to be in those moments again. I have to be in those moments.”

Federer will face off against German Dominik Koepfer for a spot in the fourth round.
Cromar
Cromar

HeartoftheMatter and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:16 pm

A fantastic caption from Cale Hammond----Hang this in the Louvre-- for the video of Federer casually returning the Cilic serve for a winner! Indeed, Roger is a master at the tiebreak, a very important capability and often crucial to a set and match.
 Roger does  belong in galleries of sport Clapping Hands Laughing s and art.

HeartoftheMatter

Sherl and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:18 am

Had a nice surprise this morning. I saw Roger make a video visit to Savannah Guthrie on the Today show. He offered congratulations for her ten year anniversary on the show!!! Such a sweet, thoughtful man!!!
She was so thrilled!!!!
striker
striker

Sherl, HeartoftheMatter and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Normal Halle 2021

Post by Jmrf Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:55 pm

King landed in Halle this afternoon, cut some cake to celebrate his victories...then practised with Kei.

So glad to see he's there early, shows he's as ready as can be after RG.

Allez!!

Jmrf

Márcia, norinchi, witchie49, federerworshipper, HeartoftheMatter and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Normal Tokyo 2020 Olympics (held in 2021)

Post by Cromar Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:17 am

So, Roger is planning to go to the Olympics...  Giggle

Uniqlo is about to release Roger's outfit for Tokyo 2020. It will be released on July 5 at select UNIQLO stores and online.

By the way, the ITF recently announced that the players entry list for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics should be released by the end of June. The ATP rankings of June 14 (after RG) is being used for the selection and the acceptance process is currently underway with the relevant National Olympic Committees (NOCs) and/or National Associations.

"The deadline by which all entries need to be submitted to Tokyo 2020 is July 5, but, all being well, the final entry list should be announced by the end of June."

You can read all about the selection and acceptance process (rather complex) here: Olympic Tennis Qualification explained  

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games will start with the Opening Ceremony on Friday 23 July 2021 and will close on Sunday 8 August 2021.

The Olympic Tennis Event will start on Saturday 24 July 2021 and will finish on Sunday 1 August 2021.
You can view the full daily schedule here: Schedule

Roger's Outfit for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Remember these!... (Beijing 2008)   Love Eyes  Oh My!  Boom  On fire  Swiss Flag  King Crown  

RF Tennis News 2021 - Page 4 Article-2449086-189638AB00000578-915_634x437
The semi-final against the Bryans was a big win.

RF Tennis News 2021 - Page 4 Article-2449086-189638FD00000578-789_634x506

The Golden Boys! Love Eyes
Cromar
Cromar

slaie_thuin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:08 pm

The outfit is cheerful with an aura of energy, and the placement of the Uniqlo and Swiss symbols look like medals of distinction!
  Yes, Roger!

HeartoftheMatter

slaie_thuin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:46 pm

I loved it.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimbledon 2021

Post by Jmrf Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:16 pm