Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Match for Africa 4, Seattle - April 29, 2017

+10
Aprilp20n
Sherl
Márcia
vrazkar
ph∞be
avasbar
Katarina_YYZ
RogerNo.1
Rufus1
Cromar
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Normal The Match for Africa 4, Seattle - April 29, 2017

Post by Cromar Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:39 am

Roger Federer Foundation by Jens Honore

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Roger Federer joins Bill Gates, John Isner in Seattle for the Match for Africa 4 to benefit children's education in Africa

Tickets on sale April 6 for Seattle's first chance to see Federer's legendary game in person.

News provided by Match for Africa - Apr 04, 2017
PRNewswire

SEATTLE, April 4, 2017 -- Fresh off his record-setting 18th Grand Slam win at the Australian Open in January and a sweep of the recent U.S. hard court events in Indian Wells and Miami, legendary tennis champion Roger Federer will play his first-ever match in Seattle on Saturday, April 29. Federer will take on American tennis star John Isner at KeyArena in an exhibition match to support children's education in Africa. Celebrity guests including Bill Gates will also take to the court to test their game against the two tennis champions. Tickets for Match for Africa 4 – Seattle are available Thursday, April 6, at 9 a.m. PDT with net proceeds benefiting the Roger Federer Charitable Fund/Roger Federer Foundation.  

"I believe in the power of people. We know that a good education is a decisive factor to empower children by allowing them to take their future into their own hands," said Federer. "With my foundation, we want to provide one million children with the opportunity for a quality education by the end of 2018. The Match for Africa 4 in Seattle will help us reach our ambitious goals. I am very grateful for this opportunity to collaborate with Bill Gates, who in my opinion is the world's leading philanthropist."

As a warm-up, the 18-time Grand Slam champion will team with the Microsoft co-founder and co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for a friendly, one-set doubles match against Isner and a surprise celebrity partner. Federer and Isner will then go head-to-head in a best-of-three-sets match that offers the region's first up-close look at Federer's legendary game. The match comes amid Federer's unprecedented resurgence and rise back up the rankings.

"I'm a huge fan of Roger's work on and off the court," said Gates. "We share a love of tennis (although he might be a little better than I am) and a belief that all children deserve a world-class education. Roger's foundation does great work to support education in Africa, so it will be a lot of fun to play alongside him for such an important cause."

This is the fourth Match for Africa event for the Roger Federer Foundation, which has given $29 million to support children's education in six African countries and Federer's native Switzerland. An estimated 650,000 children across 16 programs have so far benefitted from the foundation's giving, which emphasizes systemic change and sustainable local impact. By 2018, it aims to expand its work to support one million children—a benchmark the upcoming event in Seattle will help it reach.

Seattle's Match for Africa is proudly presented by the Starbucks Foundation, Rolex, Microsoft, and Nike. More information is available at www.match-for-africa-seattle.com. Tickets can be purchased at the KeyArena Box Office, Ticketmaster.com, or charge by phone toll free at (800) 745-3000.

About the Roger Federer Foundation
For more than thirteen years the Roger Federer Foundation has been engaging in education programs for children living in poverty in Africa and Switzerland. It only works with carefully selected local organizations in long-term partnerships and seeks to bring about systemic change and have a sustainable impact. The Foundation aims therefore to enable and empower the local population to assume responsibility for finding solutions to problems while also determining the content, organization and finances of these solutions. In 2016 alone, 16 programs were financially supported with $6.3 million. Until today more than $29 million has been invested in the education of 650,000 children in Botswana, Malawi, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, and Switzerland. The Roger Federer Foundation aims to reach one million children by 2018.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: The Match for Africa 4, Seattle - April 29, 2017

Post by Rufus1 Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:50 pm

From Bill Gates' twitter: https://twitter.com/BillGates

If you click on the link you will see the announcement for American audiences.  Note that a US charitable fund has had to be set up which will then direct money to the foundation.  It will also allow Americans to donate and receive a tax incentive to do so.

The Roger Federer Charitable Fund, Inc. is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable organization classified as a public charity in the United States. It supports the work of the Roger Federer Foundation.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:43 pm

From Roger's twitter https://twitter.com/rogerfederer?lang=en

Tickets are now on sale - and lots and lots still available at reasonable  prices at this moment in time, for those in the area.

Roger Federer‏Verified account @rogerfederer 53 minutes ago

Looking forward to seeing you in Seattle on April 29.  Tickets now on sale here: http://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0F00527E484DDFD8 … Should I let @BillGates serve 1st?

From Stephanie Myles twitter https://twitter.com/OpenCourt

a screen grab from when they went on sale to the public today

Stephanie Myles‏ @OpenCourt 49 minutes ago

Ticket prices range from $30 to $1500. Went on official sale 2 minutes ago. Looks like the advance presale went well :-)

The Match for Africa 4, Seattle - April 29, 2017 C8vdBGGXYAAfMRa

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerNo.1 Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Roger playing doubles with Bill Gates should be quite amusing. This would be worth the price of admission.
RogerNo.1
RogerNo.1

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarina_YYZ Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:00 am

Funny how Isner hasn't tweeted anything about it or even retweeted any of Roger's or Bill Gates's tweets. Does he even know he's playing?? Laughing
Katarina_YYZ
Katarina_YYZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:40 am

Katarina_YYZ wrote:Funny how Isner hasn't tweeted anything about it or even retweeted any of Roger's or Bill Gates's tweets. Does he even know he's playing?? Laughing

Not really funny - John is not organizing it, nor is it for his charity - Just playing it.  Furthermore, when it was announced, he was in Australia with Davis Cup.  He is also playing Houston this week!!!  So I doubt very much if tweeting/retweeting about a charity event that he is not organizing is top on his list of priorities.

Rather it is Roger's "baby" with the help/name of Bill Gates to break into the American charity market.  It is interesting to note that while Key Arena is far bigger than either the Zurich or Glasgow venues, it is not yet sold out, 5 days after tickets went on sale.  Lots of tickets are still available, particularly in the lower bowl.  The European events were sold out within hours/minutes of opening them up.

With respect to Isner's lack of twitter "support" - check out Andy's twitter - He did not retweet any of Roger's posts nor do any advance "work" prior to Zurich.  His last tweet, February 9, is a tweet to let people know that Roger would be playing in Glasgow.  (Andy doesn't tweet much!!)

- check out Roger's twitter - He did not post anything about going to Glasgow, nor retweet Andy's.

So when looking at Isner's lack of response and then looking at Roger and Andy in similar situations and finding that their responses were the same, ie none, I do not think that there is anything particularly funny or odd about it.  And yes, he would know that he is playing!!!  That would have been organized, at the very latest, in IW, when the idea may have been hatched with Bill Gates.

Quite simply, it is not the responsibility of the chosen "opponent" to promote the event.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:57 am

I am amazed. Even at $1500 - I imagine much less than a big match on the Tour- that seats still available is surprising.
I guess Isner isnt much of an attraction or even Bill Gates LOL!
I hope it picks up!
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Alas, tennis is just not that big a deal in the US- or Canada for that matter.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:04 pm

pheebe wrote:Alas, tennis is just not that big a deal in the US- or Canada for that matter.

Not only that, baseball season has just begun, basketball playoffs will be in full swing, likewise hockey.  Tennis is NOWHERE on the map.

But the size of the stadium is an issue.  The stadiums used in Switzerland and Glasgow are in the 11 000 people range.  If Key Arena was the same size then this event would already be sold out I think.

Key Arena holds over 17 000 for basketball and over 15 000 for hockey.  The ticket master map looks like the seating similar for the basketball one.  If they could fill it, then the amount of money raised would be substantial.  But so far they haven't.  

As of now, there are 188 seats remaining at the 200 level - ie the affordable seats!!!  The $30 tickets are gone, and what is left cost $50 or $80 for closer.

However, the same cannot be said of the 100 level - There are 572 seats left there and remember that there are fewer seats per row, the lower you go.  Indeed when I looked at what was available, there were some sections where about half the section was unsold and this is what TV will pick up on - whole blocks and rows of empty seats.  It isn't scattered seats.  Seats in the 100 section cost $120, $150, $250, $500, $1500.  Whether any of this is tax deductible, I have no idea, particularly the $1500 (VIP) ones.  But for the general fan of sport - even $120 for an exho where nothing is on the line is high - I recognize that Roger fans would be willing to pay this and more, but Seattle, which has no tennis tradition at all????  Tough sell.  They have to know that tennis is even coming to their city!!!,  and then they have to want to come to see it!!!  Those that do, have probably already bought their ticket, and they could get a cheap one!!!  It will probably be harder to sell the remainder.  There may be a push closer to the event, perhaps.  

So putting this together, this means that 760 seats are still available.  By simple subtraction, that would mean that more people will be gathering in the Key Arena than gathered in Zurich or will gather in Glasgow.  One hopes that would mean more money for the foundation, the whole aim of the thing.  Unfortunately, though, the seats being filled are the cheap ones - $30 or $50.  And they don't generate the big income.  Who knows what would have happened had a bigger venue been available in Zurich or Glasgow.  More cheaper seats etc.  Would the arena have been filled, in particular the expensive parts, given a choice for fans?  Only then would a comparison have been valid.  What will be obvious though, to viewers of the Seattle event, is the big gaps in the crowd because it is the lower level that will be seen on TV.  

When you think about it, that there are only 760 seats left, when the arena holds about 16 000-17 000 people depending on configuration, is a testament to the pull of Roger, even in a non-tennis continent and city!!!

But how much does tennis sell in the US and Canada?  Very, very little.  And virtually none at this point in the sporting season.  One of the big tennis matches at Miami was relegated to ESPN News!!!!  And that was worth points - not an exho etc!!!

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarina_YYZ Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:11 am

Geez, Rufus, I was just having a bit of a laugh. Rolling Eyes

However, Isner's either donating his time or he's getting paid -- I assume he's not being dragged to the match in handcuffs. It's not a big effort to say a few words about an event he agreed to participate in. Or, even easier, just click "Retweet" on Roger's or Bill Gates's tweet. He doesn't have to, of course, but it would seem perfectly normal if he did.

Unlike MFA3, there isn't a big promotion period for MFA4 -- just a little over 3 weeks from the announcement to the match to get the word out. And as you said, it's not sold out. MFA3 sold out and -- according to the event Twitter for the Glasgow match (@AndyMurrayLive) -- Andy's event has sold out as well, so no real need to promote it at the moment.

Katarina_YYZ
Katarina_YYZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:08 pm

The Match for Africa 4: Seattle

Will be live on Facebook, says Roger!   Sunny

Saturday April 29 - 5:30 pm PT (local time) - 8:30 pm ET  (New York/Toronto)
Sunday April 30 - 2:30 am CET  (Paris/Zurich)

And for those in the US: Will be live on TC, starting at 9:00 pm ET...

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:15 pm

I wish we in Canada had access to Tennis Channel. Sigh. Would some kind soul post that preview on Youtube?
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Me too I wish we could get TC. There is so much protectionism around sports, it's maddening... It's all about money, unfortunately! And pretty much like this around the world, I believe.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by vrazkar Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:50 pm

I uploaded the TC preview here: http://vimeo.com/215085218
vrazkar
vrazkar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Thank you, vrazkar! Sunny