Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Just saw on Twitter that Roger and Belinda Bencic have confirmed that they will once again play together at the Hopman Cup! Good to know that Roger is planning his 2019.

Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Yes, that's great! Sunny

I posted the tweets and some info in the RF Schedule thread.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:24 am

Roger talks about his first steps in tennis and how his game developed to what it is today... Lovely insight by the Master himself!  Sunny

Strokes of Genius: Roger Federer Bonus

From the 2-hour documentary "Strokes of Genius" - World Premier July 1st @ 8pm on Tennis Channel.

YouTube    Tennis Channel - Published on Jun. 25, 2018

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 am

Steerpike60 wrote:Just saw on Twitter that Roger and Belinda Bencic have confirmed that they will once again play together at the Hopman Cup!  Good to know that Roger is planning his 2019.

Love Eyes Smile Clapping Dancing Penguin
(yes I love emojis)

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimbledon 2018 - Roger Federer in Numbers

Post by Cromar Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:00 am

The points Federer has played in the gentlemen's singles at the All England Club. Of those, he won 11,510 and lost 9,344, which gives him a winning percentage of 55 per cent.

Some incredible numbers!... View all here: Roger Federer in Numbers

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal WIMBLEDON 2018 - R2 (vs Lacko)

Post by Cromar Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Rapid Federer makes it look easy against Lacko

Eight-time champion wins in straight sets for the 26th time on Centre Court

By Vivienne Christie | WIMBLEDON
WED 04 JUL 2018

Situation normal on Centre Court

With a dramatic switch of the sponsor logo that’s featured in each of his 19 previous outings, much talk of Roger Federer this Wimbledon has centred on his on-court attire. But while the Swiss star’s fashion choices are inevitably debated, it’s his penchant for winning that remains the most important trend.

A 6-4, 6-4, 6-1 win over Lukas Lacko marked a 26th straight-sets victory for the defending champion, equalling his second-longest streak of streaks won at SW19. Between the third round in 2005 and the 2006 final, Federer won 34 straight sets and an astonishing 12 years later, there’s every possibility of the eight-time champion replicating that run.

It was an afternoon of seemingly effortless style in the Swiss star’s favourite setting, as he took an efficient 90 minutes to complete the match.

While a finalist at Eastbourne last week, world No.73 Lacko has never defeated a top-10 opponent, nor has he competed on Wimbledon's Centre Court. As Federer found his rhythm in their third career meeting, maintaining a perfect winning record quickly appeared on track.

There were all the usual adornments to Federer’s winning style, including his graceful movement and masterful strokes.

It was the serve, though, that would set the eight-time champion apart. He hit 16 aces without a single double fault and claimed the second set without a point surrendered on his own serve. Continuing that pattern until the sixth game of the third set, Federer won an astonishing 35 straight points on serve.

NO SWEAT FOR FEDERER

I PLAYED VERY WELL. I FELT GOOD OUT THERE. LESS NERVES THAN IN THE FIRST ROUND
ROGER FEDERER       
The No.1 seed gradually became more assertive as the match unfolded, breaking Lacko’s serve in the seventh game of the first set, the fifth of the second and in the opening game of the third. Adding another service break four games later, it was only a matter of time before he secured the win with his 48th winner of the match.

"I think I played very well,” said the pleased but understated victor. “I felt good out there. Less nerves than in the first round.”

Listing his ball striking, focus, serve and variety as notable positives, Federer was also happy at his straightforward progress against the Eastbourne runner-up. “I knew he had the rhythm and I knew I had to put him away,” he said.

Noting that he will “definitely have to change his game in the next round” Federer moves on with more unmatched milestones in sight. Contesting his 103rd match in the first round, he overtook Jimmy Connors for the most Wimbledon matches contested in the Open era.

More significant for the most prolific men’s champion in history is that a bid to equal Martina Navratilova’s all-time record with a ninth title remains on track.

Fifteen years since his first victory at Wimbledon, attire trends have come and gone for Federer. Achieving history, though, remains very much in vogue.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal WIMBLEDON 2018 - R3 (vs Struff)

Post by Cromar Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:01 am

Defeat of Struff no sweat for Federer

Roger Federer eased past German Jan-Lennard Struff to take his place in the fourth round

By Mark Hodgkinson | WIMBLEDON
FRI 06 JUL 2018

Yet to face a break point

Even in the broiling heat of this summer's Wimbledon, Roger Federer is reinforcing one of the most persistent myths about him: that he doesn't have a single sweat gland in his body.

On a day when some spectators' shirts darkened with sweat as they sat on a picnic rug on the Hill or walked to the Pimm's bar, perhaps the defending champion was glowing a little during his third round victory over Germany's Jan-Lennard Struff. But no more than that in the evening sunshine on Centre Court. Only a couple of times did the Swiss gently dab at his forehead with the sweatband on his right wrist, which must be the most redundant piece of kit inside the All England Club.

"A freak of nature," was how the watching John McEnroe affectionally described Federer, a 6-3, 7-5, 6-2 winner, who just a month short of his 37th birthday is now three sevenths of the way to landing a ninth Wimbledon title. If there are no statistics available for how much players perspire, there are other ways of illustrating how commanding Federer has been in his opening three appearances at a Championships where he has a new clothing supplier. It's not just that Federer has reached the second week without once dropping his serve; he is yet to even face a break point.

The diciest it got for Federer on serve was when he found himself 0-30 down at 3-2 in the third set, but he quickly and elegantly extricated himself from trouble. "I stayed pretty clean in my own service games," Federer said, which was some understatement.

"It looks like he didn't break a sweat," McEnroe said of Federer, playing in his 200th tour-level match on grass, who in the third set even unsheathed the SABR, or Sneak Attack by Roger, when he returned a Struff serve from just behind the service line. After taking a couple of steps forward, Federer then put a volley away for a winner.

Every Federer performance brings both artistry and hard data. Consider how Federer's victory meant he has won the last 29 sets he has played at the All England Club, a run which began in the first round of last summer's Championships. That is still a few short of his longest streak of 34 consecutive sets, which he accomplished between the third round in 2005 and the 2006 final. If Federer is to break his own record, he would need to also win his fourth round and quarter-final in straight sets.

Jan-Lennard Struff

Everything has been going Federer's way at the All England Club, with Struff even hitting an air-shot when facing a break point in the third set. Wearing a reversed baseball bap, the big-serving Struff had been the king of the comebacks so far at The Championships, hustling his way back from two sets down in his opening two rounds. Had the world No.64 also done so against Federer, he would have become only the third man in history - after Henri Cochet in 1927 and Tommy Robredo at Roland Garros in 2013 - to come back from two sets down in three successive rounds at the same major. But it's one thing to do that to Argentina's Leonardo Mayer and Croatia's Ivo Karlovic and quite another against Federer.

One of the perks of being the gentlemen's defending champion is that, if you stay in the draw, you play on Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the first week. That means you have two days off before your fourth-round match on Monday. After a restful weekend, Federer will play Adrian Mannarino, a Frenchman who needed five sets to beat Russian Daniil Medvedev.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:39 am

Such a lovely article.

The Pleasure (And Pain) Of Watching Roger Federer, The Greatest Tennis Player Ever

Looking back on the rise and fall - and rise again - of Wimbledon's greatest ever champion

BY TIM LEWIS
02/07/2018

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 15 Federer1-1530541992

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a22019668/the-pleasure-and-pain-of-watching-roger-federer-the-greatest-tennis-player-ever/
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:16 am

Thanks for posting this article, ph∞be!... An interesting read indeed!  Smile
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:05 pm

My thanks also, ph∞be. Beautiful read.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Normal WIMBLEDON 2018 - QF: "Federer at a loss"

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Roger was defeated by Kevin Anderson in the Wimbledon QF in five sets, and after having had match point in the third. (Match Stats)

Federer: I couldn't surprise him any more

Champion and No.1 seed says he had his chances in five-set defeat by Kevin Anderson

By Vivienne Christie
WIMBLEDON
WED 11 JUL 2018

Federer at a loss

From such a seismic shock as Roger Federer’s loss to Kevin Anderson in an epic quarter-final comes the natural search for answers: the vanquished champion, however, couldn’t help.

“Honestly, I’m not sure,” said the eight-time victor when asked to pinpoint a moment when he lost control of the match. “I guess there was definitely a moment at some point. Is it missing match points? Is it getting broken at five-all after that? I'm not sure.

“That could have been a key. Could have been a key later. There's a lot of little points here and there that always make a difference in the outcome of a match.”

And there were many points in the four-hour 14-minute epic against Anderson, as the South African completed a remarkable comeback in his first quarter-final at SW19.

Match point saved

From Federer’s statement start to win the first set in just 26 minutes, to Anderson’s gradual improvement to save a match point in the third set, it evolved into a test that required Federer’s trademark best.

“First set felt great," the Swiss said. "Reading the serve. He wasn't getting many aces. When I was on, I was making him play. From the baseline I felt like I could mix it up, play aggressive. There was a lot going on. As the match went on, I couldn't surprise him any more. That's a bad feeling to have.”

MIRKA FEDERER

AS THE MATCH WENT ON, I COULDN'T SURPRISE HIM ANYMORE. THAT'S A BAD FEEING TO HAVE
ROGER FEDERER       
Still, Federer’s unparalleled eight Wimbledon titles among his record 20 Grand Slams underline his ability to manage such tests, usually. “It's not like it hasn't happened before. I've been in many, many matches like this,” he reasoned.

'I had my chances'

“These are the moments where you try to hold your serve, create opportunities. Maybe he's got to miss a few more than make a few more. That's going to maybe make the difference. I couldn't come up with enough good stuff for him to miss more. I think that was the key at the end.”

Crediting Anderson’s big serve and his effective return when the right opportunities presented, Federer also noted the South African’s sturdy endurance.

“I think I had my chances, so it's disappointing. No, I mean, no doubt about it. He was consistent. He was solid. He got what he needed when he had to,” he said. “Credit to him for hanging around really that long.”

Federer felt fresh even through the 90-minute final set - it was only after the match that fatigue took hold. “I know what kind of energy I need to bring to the fifth. I was able to bring that,” he related. “To be honest, I didn't feel mental fatigue. Now I feel horribly fatigued and just awful. It's just terrible.”

Federer was naturally in no state of mind to suggest the length of his recovery. “I don't know how long it's going to take me. Might take me a while. Might take me half an hour. I have no idea what it's going to be,” he said.

Unfinished business

Any sense of unfinished business, though, was one that the Swiss quickly dismissed. “Of course, the goal is to come back here next year,” he smiled. “I wouldn't call it 'unfinished business'. I felt like I did some good business here in the past already. So I'm all right. Just disappointed now.”

And if there was a silver lining to Federer’s shock exit, it was the fuel it might provide for his return.

“Maybe the losses hurt more, that you don't want to be on the loser's side. It motivates me to do extremely well here because I don't want to sit here and explain my loss. That's the worst feeling you can have as a tennis player,” he said.

“Honestly, I think I just, you know, love being around here. It's a good vibe. We have a good time as a family. I have great memories from here. My heroes all won here. Every time I come back here, I try to be like them, so it's nice to be here.”

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Wimbledon new Roof and 5th-Set Tiebreaker

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Interesting article: What’s Next for Wimbledon? New Roof, and Maybe 5th-Set Tiebreakers

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/sports/wimbledon-tiebreaker.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:43 pm

^^^^Thanks Steerpike. Very interesting. I agree that on paper the other two matches were more interesting and that Roger would probably be the first to say that he should not have been put off by being moved. But there is rational and then there is emotional so who knows how it actually affected him- particularly after Nike refused to give him what he wanted. At least, I am presuming that this is what happened with Nike- not sure what he asked for there.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:52 pm

^^ I disagree! No way Roger should have been moved. Why were the other matches more interesting? Roger was 8 time Champion, NO1 seed, Thousands had already bought tickets to CC to SEE Roger!!
>>Novak was just coming back & Nadal had only 2 wins. I still say shame on Wimbledon!!!! MO!!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Believe me- like you, I think Roger should never have been moved. I am sure there were many people there for whom this was a once in a lifetime experience. I would have been devastated if this had happened to me since I had been planning for a whole year to get to Wimbledon from Canada and don't think I'll be doing it again. 
But, on paper, what Wimbledon said is true in terms of match ups.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Normal Tennis News

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:17 pm

^^^ It's funny now to look back and see that Fed/Anderson turned out to be the more competitive match than Djoker/Kei.  But "on paper", I can see why they thought otherwise.  Anderson had never taken a set off Roger before.  And he's viewed as a "serve-bot".  

Even though Djoker pushed for his match to be on CC, Anderson as the opponent is why Fed was moved off CC.

Now, should the 8-time and defending champion ever be off CC?  Who knows?  But it certainly sounds like starting next year, CC and Court 1 are going to be treated pretty similarly.  So, I would expect all the top players to see Court 1 at least once during the event.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum