Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by Márcia Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm

ph∞be wrote:I have to share one more: as you can see, I am still celebrating our Rog!
This is a wonderful interactive article about Roger's career so far, comparing him to others as well.

https://interactive.swissinfo.ch/2018_01_28_federer20/en.html#/en

Excellent (and beautiful) paper, ph∞be. Thanks.

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by dung98 Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Federer will skip clay season in 2018 .He will focus on grass court and wimbledon

dung98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm

A few words from my dearest Kim ( Embarassed Love it) about Rodg :
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Roger_Federer/51516/kim-clijsters-puts-federer-s-win-in-perspective-calls-it-admirable-/

Let's hope he will play one more time at Bercy, this is the only chance to see him one last time in Paris. Crying

Rod Laver on Rodger :
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Roger_Federer/51503/rod-laver-says-federer-is-the-goat-makes-interesting-comparison-with-nadal/

Chris Evert + others...:
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Roger_Federer/51446/chris-evert-nobody-makes-me-cry-like-roger-federer-/

Back to top Go down

Post by dung98 Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm

FEDBERG wrote:A few words from my dearest Kim ( Embarassed Love it) about Rodg :
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Roger_Federer/51516/kim-clijsters-puts-federer-s-win-in-perspective-calls-it-admirable-/

Let's hope he will play one more time at Bercy, this is the only chance to see him one last time in Paris. Crying
I think he may never play Paris again.He may skip RG and paris master because of grass court season and his hometown tournament in Basel

dung98

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:30 pm

dung98 wrote:Federer will skip clay season in 2018 .He will focus on grass court and wimbledon

Could you provide a source for this affirmation?... because for all I know Roger hasn't made up his mind yet!
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:40 pm

Roger Federer Wins the Australian Open for His 20th Grand Slam Title

By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY - NYTimes.com
JAN. 28, 2018

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 4 Merlin_133012670_e982baa4-fa53-45b3-be3a-ce6f10f2fbac-master768
Roger Federer, right, during the trophy ceremony after he defeated Marin Cilic to win the Australian Open.
“The fairy tale continues, for us, for me,” he said.
Credit Michael Dodge/Getty Images

This is a lengthy article, so I will let you read it directly from the source here

However, I found this passage, towards the end of the article, most interesting. Roger's statements about his current physical form and post-Wimbledon back problems are quite revealing! Although he won Shanghai and Basel, this probably provides some explanation for his performance at the ATP Finals and his pulling out of Paris... And I had no idea these guys took anti-inflammatory on a regular basis!  Shocked

"But Federer has not needed much consolation of late as he glides on at an age by which nearly all of the great men’s players have moved on. He said it helped that his recurring back problems did not affect him here after troubling him post-Wimbledon last season.

“I was a bit worried at the end of the year,” he said. “I was relieved that after vacation, it was better. I think that’s why I was able to win here.”

Federer said that, unusually, he did not take any anti-inflammatory pills during the tournament. “I know guys my age who took one every day,” he said."

(I saw a similar statement in a French paper about Roger having not taken any anti-inflammatory during the entire AO.)
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 am

Ha, ha!  Really cute!  Hee hee  
Good for him, though. Hope others follow suite.

Dear Roger Federer:
An apology for ever writing you off

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 4 TELEMMGLPICT000152658366_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqwR9CmnucIcqQaI247kVHKXq2BiOnVFyUjft454WEhhg
In May 2016, Charlie Eccleshare predicted Roger Federer would never win another grand slam.
He has won three since.
- Credit: Getty Images

By Charlie Eccleshare - The Telegraph

30 January 2018

Dear Roger,

I trust you're well. The Australian Open looked like fun, even if the final got a bit hairy in places. I hope you have a safe journey home and that the jet lag isn't too bad. Personally I always find it a little bit easier going east to west so maybe you'll be ok. I guess it's hard to know at this point.

Anyway, I'm writing to offer you an apology. In May 2016 I wrote you off in an article titled 'Why Roger Federer will never win another grand slam'. In my infinite wisdom I wittered that: "The reality is that the exertion of winning 21 sets against the immense physical specimens that populate the ATP Tour will likely prove beyond even this most durable of 34-year-olds."

As it has turned out, my prediction was about as accurate as that time Alan Hansen suggested teams can't win anything with kids. Or when Gordon Brown hailed an end to boom and bust economic cycles.

But enough about Scottish sexagenarians. This is about me, and it's about you, Rog. I would like to say sorry for so hopelessly underestimating you. At the time you see, the world looked very different. You were struggling with a knee injury, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray seemed set to be tennis's defining rivalry for years to come, and Brexit had still not happened to serve as a reminder to us all that anything was possible. (I hope you understand I'm not comparing your recent success to Brexit).

Since I wrote my piece you have proved me wrong not once, not twice, but thrice. You have moved from 17 grand slam titles to a staggering 20, and created further distance between yourself and Rafael Nadal in the battle to end up as the tennis GOAT (greatest of all time).

Every time you hoover up another grand slam, I'm subjected to ridicule on social media, which is fair enough. I deserve it. Though I will say that when I initially wrote the piece, the main response on Twitter was not "you're an idiot" but more "why are you wasting our time by stating the bleeding obvious?"

Blinded by your four-year slam drought, I failed to see a number of things coming. Your reworked backhand - how on earth have you done that so late in your career? The injuries to your rivals (those same people I sagely described as "immense physical specimens" two years ago), and your seemingly insatiable appetite for playing tennis.  

I hope you can forgive me for my failure of imagination and inability to realise that for you, even the passing of time can be swatted aside in straight sets. You owe me nothing of course but you would be really helping me out if you could offer me some sort of tip for the future to help me redeem myself.

You know, things like: When do you reckon you will pack it in? How many slams do you envisage ending up with? Will you ever break sweat in one of your matches?

In the meantime, enjoy the afterglow of Sunday's win. And please send my best to Mirka and the kids.

I assure you I won't be making any sweeping predictions in the coming months. Although, you're not thinking of retiring any ti...no, forget it.

Yours sincerely,

Charlie Eccleshare
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Mr. Charles Eccleshare, I admire your virtuous stepping up to the plate, and recanting you words. It does take courage, and some journalists or sportswriters wil no doubt forget about the things they said, and some of those things were rather unkind, going back to 2006.
I salute and thank you. You could have spared yourself if you had only read some of my posts. I was always one of those who believed, knew, saw, understood that Roger Federer was not finished yet. There were "the Serbs are coming" American contingent of commentators,along with some Brits, and they succumbed to their propaganda machine. They actually said nasty things, at least some of them.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:48 am

"how on earth have you done that so late in your career?"

He's not totally wrong about that...
Great letter by the way!! Hee hee

Back to top Go down

Post by cornnn92 Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:00 pm

For those of you who understand French, this is a must-see:

A documentary that was broadcast on Swiss TV during the AO with interviews with Roger, Luthi, Paganini, Rosset, Allegro... Very insightful and some priceless footage of Roger doing the housework in the flat he shared with Yves Allegro way back when  Laughing
Also some interesting comments by Pierre, about Roger's back injury last fall... Obviously Roger played it down at the time and it was more serious than many assumed it was...
Around 18.30: "I knew what the situation was right before the start of the USO... And again, to do what he did ( in that tournament) with the issue he had at the time - he is never going to say it because it would sound like an excuse... But right now in this conversation we are not looking for excuses, we are just trying to point out that sometimes the player has to deal with issues way more serious than what people may imagine and he has to go on the court and try to make the most of what he has on that particular day  knowing he will not be able to solve all the problems."
cornnn92
cornnn92

Back to top Go down

Post by RMGuillot Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:07 pm

mobile.twitter.com/swathisri291/status/958955501454213120/photo/1

RMGuillot

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks so much corinne.. My french isn't great but I can understand enough to get a sense. I will always believe that he did not follow his usual strict regime in Montreal- I understood why- but I think it cost him the USO, the WTF and the Year end No 1. That he had recovered enough to win Shanghai and Basel is a testament to his incredible talent. But, I think wee Goffin was just a bit too much for him especially after the 3 setter against Marin. It is also interesting to me that with a familiar complaint like his back, he is better able to understand how to manage it, when to play through the pain etc. I think the knee was totally unfamiliar and scary.
However, he is now completely well!! YAY for that.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Corinne dear, thank you in advance. I cannot watch it right now, but I am rejoicing myself just to know that - in a moment - I will open my computer, sit in front of it for one hour watching Roger, learning, listening to interesting things.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Márcia wrote:Corinne dear, thank you in advance. I cannot watch it right now, but I am rejoicing myself just to know that - in a moment - I will open my computer, sit in front of it for one hour watching Roger, learning, listening to interesting things.

Thanks Marcia for alerting me that it is corinne and not cromar!! Corinne- your photos are so amazing. There is one very beautiful black and white one with Roger and the AO trophy- I think I saw it on Dinora's tweet may be? Could you post it here please? Thank you.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 pm

ph∞be:- You could check the 'AO Final' thread here - There are four B&W pictures posted by Dinora.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks, dear cromar. It is this one but I think the one I saw is a close up so that the details on the trophy and on Roger's face and hands just look magnificent.

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 4 DUq1H4yVAAAfiqu

Found it!
RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 4 DUoy3P8VoAUUB3X
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum: