Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by ph∞be Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks, dear cromar. It is this one but I think the one I saw is a close up so that the details on the trophy and on Roger's face and hands just look magnificent.

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 5 DUq1H4yVAAAfiqu

Found it!
RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 5 DUoy3P8VoAUUB3X

ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:46 am

Corinne, I just finished the video "Les Années Federer". Pity they did not go till the AO. But I loved it, and mostly how they pointed out something, in all his life's attitude (training, foundation, family time): his capacity of always be in the present.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by cornnn92 Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:34 am

ph∞be wrote:
Márcia wrote:Corinne dear, thank you in advance. I cannot watch it right now, but I am rejoicing myself just to know that - in a moment - I will open my computer, sit in front of it for one hour watching Roger, learning, listening to interesting things.

Thanks Marcia for alerting me that it is corinne and not cromar!! Corinne- your photos are so amazing. There is one very beautiful black and white one with Roger and the AO trophy- I think I saw it on Dinora's tweet may be? Could you post it here please? Thank you.

Hi Ph∞be yes these are amazing photos but unfortunately not mine! You can bet I wish they were! Corinne Dubreuil is a French - I think? - professional sports photographer:

https://corinnedubreuilphotography.wordpress.com/
cornnn92
cornnn92

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 pm

You have come a long way, young man!  Sunny  Bowing

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 5 DVMTL56VwAA3-aQ

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 am

The big controversy!...  Hee hee

A Swiss TV journalist made a fool of herself over Roger in a recently unearthed video. But she's not the first TV journo to lose it at the very sight of the maestro!

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 5 Tl-logo-3

TV journo loses it over Federer win

By Stephanie Myles | February 5, 2018  

When Roger Federer appeared after his Australian Open win, one Swiss TV journalist couldn’t contain herself.

In a less-than-professional moment, she hugged Federer and stroked his sweaty chest before interviewing him.

“It was an exceptional situation, thousands of people full of joy and emotions. I lost the journalistic distance for a moment. That was a mistake,” SRF host Denise Langenegger told Swiss newspaper Tages Anzeiger.

In the paper’s online poll, 60 per cent forgave her.  (We certainly can sympathize, no!)   Laughing

The actual video:

Groupie-Alarm: Denise Langenegger interviews Roger Federer.

Video Source: Tages-Anzeiger
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Romannoble Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 am

I can't believe it...thank you thank you for setting up this site. I was devastated when the old forum ended.

Romannoble

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:21 am

Welcome Romannoble !  Glad you found us! Hope you enjoy it.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Romannoblei So so sweet to have you here. Wonderful you could find us!
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:16 am

Had to bring this article here, if only for the header!  Embarassed  Heart of Gold

The importance of 20

Wimbledon.com looks at the significance of Roger Federer claiming his
20th Grand Slam title at the Australian Open.

By Tom Perrotta - Wimbledon.com 

Tuesday, 6 February 2018

At this time last year, Roger Federer’s comeback looked improbable. He hadn’t played in six months before he entered the 2017 Australian Open, where he had to win three five-set matches, including the final against Rafael Nadal when he trailed 3-1 in the fifth set. It was a miracle of a match, one that, considering the age of a 35-year-old star, could be his last, just because you never know how age will affect a career.

It’s a year later now and Federer - 36, healthy, and playing as well as he ever has - has turned the improbable into the likely. He went on to win Wimbledon last year and now a second consecutive victory at the Australian Open this year, his 20th major title.

This time in Melbourne, Federer didn’t lose a set until the final, and as tough as that match was, he beat Marin Cilic 6-1 in the fifth set, a dominant performance. He’s now just a few points from taking the No.1 ranking away from Nadal, too.

What to say about Federer? No matter the ranking, he’s the best male player in the world now, just as he used to be a dozen years ago. This title wasn’t a surprise: In fact, most people gave him the best chance before the tournament began. And the way he won it—he only lost sets in the final—just adds to his claim on the top spot.

If he gets there, he might not stay long, because Federer plans to play few events this season, just as he did last season. Considering how well this has worked for him, it makes perfect sense to keep the same patterns. Federer is now the favorite whenever he plays. His record since last year is 59-5, a remarkable run.

Now is a good time to remember that some members of the tennis press, back in 2013, wrote that it was time for Federer to retire, rather than lose more and more. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but those opinions were not entirely without substance - the Swiss went four and half years without a Grand Slam title, and during that time endured previously unthinkable, early-round losses to the likes of Sergiy Stakhovsky, Tommy Robredo, Ernests Gulbis and Andreas Seppi.

But Federer deserves immense credit for not only competing despite the obstacles, but for changing his game. His backhand is a full weapon now, unlike in years past. And that has helped him play more aggressively in general. Opponents no longer know his plans as easily as before, when Federer, for all his talent, was more predictable.

Little known is that Federer was nervous in this year's Australian Open final. “How would I feel if I won it, how would I feel if I lost it?” Federer said. “I’m so close, yet so far. I think I was going through the whole match like this. I’ve had these moments in the past, but maybe never as extreme as [that night].”

Going forward, Federer might well play matches with less stress. To win his 20th was a feat, reaching a nice round number that no man had ever come close to winning.

Yet the visible emotion of the moment, coupled with Federer initially failing to say "see you next year," at the trophy ceremony (he would later confirm his desire to play in Melbourne in 2019) led to some wondering if retirement might be on the horizon.

But why should it be? Now that Federer's hit 20, he should be more relaxed while searching for more.

If he’s healthy by the time Wimbledon comes around again, Federer will be the favorite to win the tournament. And as he continues to win, the motivation to play on and further cement his legacy will surely remain.

Indeed, records are made to be broken, and while 20 men's singles titles may appear unsurpassable now, so too did Pete Sampras' tally of 14 at one point in time.

But with his current philosophy that has helped so much, there really can be no limits on what the Swiss can continue to achieve.

“I've just got to keep a good schedule, stay hungry, then maybe good things can happen,” Federer said after the Australian Open final.

“Then I don’t think age is an issue, per se. It’s just a number. But I need to be very careful in my planning, really decide beforehand what are my goals, what are my priorities. I think that’s what’s going to dictate how successful I will be.

"Exciting times ahead.”

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 am

Dubai, Tokyo 2020... Roger is on a roll, nothing is impossible right now!  Cheering   Praying (Hope it lasts!)

Roger Federer: ‘You feel your privacy has been taken away but it’s OK’

In Rotterdam this week the Swiss can top the rankings again at the age of 36 and he is not ruling out an Olympic swansong in 2020

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 5 3878
 Roger Federer celebrates beating Marin Cilic in Melbourne to win this year’s Australian Open – his 20th career grand slam. Photograph: Julian Smith/EPA

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 5 Kevin-Mitchell,-L
By Kevin Mitchell - The Guardian  
Tue 13 Feb 2018

Roger Federer seems on a permanent swoop through the tennis firmament, dipping and soaring like an ageless Alpine swift, held aloft on the breeze forever. He says his journey might yet end in Tokyo, at the 2020 Olympics, although he is promising nothing.

This week the 36-year-old Swiss descends on Rotterdam and, if he wins three matches (he has lost only six in 29 here) he will return to No 1 in the world, taking the crown from Rafael Nadal, at least for a while.

Contrary to interpretations, Federer has had in the back of his mind since November, that this ATP 500 tournament would provide him with a rare chance to get back to where he has previously ruled for 302 weeks more than anyone in the history of the rankings. The last time he was king, in November 2012, he had beaten Andy Murray four months earlier to win Wimbledon. This week Murray, still recuperating from hip surgery, slipped out of the top 20.

Federer’s opponent in the opening round in Rotterdam will be the Belgian Ruben Bemelman. They have not played before and probably will not play again. If the Swiss reaches Friday’s quarter-finals, he could meet his compatriot Stan Wawrinka. The winner will probably face Philipp Kohlschreiber or Karen Khachanov.

When Federer arrived late on Sunday night, he went straight to the practice court with his coach, Ivan Ljubicic, and his fitness coordinator, Pierre Paganini. In 2005 Federer beat Ljubicic here in the final. His other Rotterdam title arrived in 2012, when he saw off Juan Martín del Potro. On his last visit, five years ago, he lost against Julian Benneteau in the quarter-finals.

In a long, discursive interview on Monday with the Guardian and the Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad Federer revealed what is left of a career that has already yielded 20 majors and how he has controlled his destiny through meticulous planning – as well as daring to experiment. Paramount, though, is family, health and happiness. He is among the most famous people in the world, yet he glides in and out of the spotlight with comfort. “Ever since my kids were born it has been that way. My wife needs to be happy. My kids need to be happy. Without that this doesn’t matter.”

Does celebrity not weigh him down? “I’ve got a very busy and exciting life. I get to meet a lot of people. When I don’t want to meet people, don’t want to play tournaments, I can choose to do that. Since 10 years now there are mobile phones to take videos and pictures. You do feel like maybe your privacy has been taken away even more. But it’s OK. I don’t feel like it’s too much and that I can’t take it. You think twice when you go out sometimes. You think, am I in the mood for maybe it to happen, or am I just happy to stay home anyway? I try to just have a normal life, go for a walk, see my friends...”

So, would he aim at the Olympics, where he has yet to win a gold medal in singles, one of the few baubles to elude him? “It’s not like with Rio [in 2016], where it was really something I set myself as a goal,” he said.

“If I’m still playing, great. But I’m not saying I have to play one more [Olympics] before I retire. If it happens, then it makes sense for me to go play, but it’s too far away. I don’t know what happens then. We’ll see if it works and makes sense. I haven’t put it on the table. It’s not a discussion point, let’s put it that way. When the time is right, I’ll talk about it – and see how I feel in that year. When is it? 2020? It’s so far away. There’s no point to discuss it. Why not – it would be nice ... but I can’t tell you for sure, or not for sure.”

Tantalising, as ever.

As well as being the greatest tennis player of all – according to Rod Laver, whose own claim to that accolade is considerable – Federer also has a command of his time and space, on and off the court, like no other. Is there a secret to the longevity of his career? He does not see it that way.

“You can always play more if you want to. You can always play less if you want to. I just hope people don’t think that what I’m doing at 36 they can start doing at 25. I played full schedule from ’98 or ’99, really, to 2016. Until I was injured. I was 34 at the time. Did I plan last year to play a light schedule? No. Did I plan to skip the clay-court season? No. Did I plan to win all these tournaments? No. It all happened organically.

“I played [three] majors [in 2017]. I won two of them. One of them [Australia] almost killed me by playing three five-setters. I was injured afterwards. Then I also couldn’t play. My philosophy is I play when I’m ready. I’m not just going to play tournaments to see how I’m feeling. What I did last year – and what Rafa [Nadal] is doing also – is maybe a bit of a lighter schedule, and it shows to others by working or practising a bit more – or taking time – you can improve your potential and you become a different or better player.

“Say I go out for six months and I only work on my serve-and-volley game. I feel like I’d be a different player six months later but everybody’s scared to do it because they’re, like, what about my ranking, what about this, what about that? Sponsors maybe, or prize money, I’m not going to make money. It’s hard to say. I just won’t do it, right?

“I hope I take that fear away a little bit, that sometimes it’s OK to take time. That would be a wish for me: that players would read something into that – not that they just start doing it because the top guys are doing it. We’re doing it because we’re older and we have thousands of matches in our bodies. That’s why we have to do it this way.”

Would he play Roland Garros, which he skipped last year, along with the rest of the clay season? “I would like to play everything. No, honestly. But it’s impossible... So, unfortunately I have to start taking things that helped me at my [time of] life with my family. That’s the priority. Then comes my body and my game and everything. What can I do? What’s too much?

“I guess by being here now, and maybe being in Dubai, it’s just going to have to be lighter if I play the clay-court season. Or not at all. So I just have to get into this situation a little bit, because the priority is for me to try to defend my sunshine double in Indian Wells and Miami. So, then we’ll see what happens with the clay, what happens next.”

What happens next? As opponents know on court, that is the impossible conundrum with Roger Federer, the elegant Alpine swift.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks, cromar. But I don't think he meant and Dubai, but or Dubai.

I hope he will play the Olympics and beyond. At least!
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Márcia wrote:Thanks, cromar. But I don't think he meant and Dubai, but or Dubai.

Hi>>>Doesn't Roger have to play DC to qualify for Olympics? OR is he exempt? Thanks!!!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:05 pm

striker, I have no idea if he is or not exempt. But the Olympics are in 2020!!!! If he must play the DC it will be in 2019!!!! I cannot think so far away, and I imagine neither Roger can. Wink Gif
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 pm

I am being very selfish but I hope Roger feels good for Wimbledon and does not overplay before that.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Márcia wrote:Thanks, cromar. But I don't think he meant and Dubai, but or Dubai.

It's a bit unclear what Roger really said... He could play both, he said, but chose Rotterdam as it's indoor and close to home. But he hasn't ruled out Dubai right out.

My feeling is that if, for any reason, he doesn't reach his goal in Rotterdam, he will play Dubai, as he seems to have really set his eyes on the No 1 and would not want to let this chance of a lifetime go by.

He is too close now, he can really smell it! Laughing
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:20 pm

^^^
Yes, maybe you are right. But I am really afraid of this. I only want him to be fit, healthy, motivated, and fresh. But, once is not a habitude, I will say: Roger knows best. Wink Gif
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum