Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by Márcia Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 pm

^^^
Thumbs up Cheering Bowing Red Star Thank you!

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Roger Federer: The Timeless Champion

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 6 JamesbuddellJames Buddell, Chief Writer

Feb. 19, 2018

ATPWorldTour.com pays tribute to Federer on his return to No. 1

Roger Federer today begins his 303rd week at No. 1 in the ATP Rankings at the age of 36, more than 14 years after rising to top spot.

Tellingly, 10 years ago, during his run of 237 straight weeks at No. 1, Federer outlined his intention to “play through the generations like [Andre] Agassi and [Jimmy] Connors.” A commendable goal, but in reality when Federer underwent knee surgery in February 2016, few could have predicted that arguably the sport’s greatest stylist would today have broken myriad of ATP Rankings records and (once again) re-write the history books.

His return to the summit of men’s professional tennis for the first time since 4 November 2012, a record gap of five years and 106 days, began at No. 17 in the ATP Rankings just 13 months ago under the guidance of Severin Luthi, his coach since 2008, and former World No. 3 Ivan Ljubicic. Federer acknowledged a few years ago that to continue to play the sport deep into his 30s, he needed to be smarter with his playing schedule and further develop his incredible work ethic. His team helped to maintain his mental focus in order to prolong his career, and his confidence has soared.

Today, in his 21st season as a professional, with 97 tour-level trophies, Federer has eclipsed Agassi – aged 33 in September 2003 - to become the oldest player to ascend to top spot. In doing so, he has provided inspiration to all those, regardless of their age, who strive to attain a goal. Since Federer first rose to No. 1 a record 14 years and 17 days ago, he has redefined what it means to be a great sportsman, let alone a top-level tennis player.

After capturing his 20th Grand Slam championship last month at the Australian Open, Federer provided a glimpse of why he keeps playing tennis. “At the end it's seeing that my parents [Robert and Lynette] are incredibly proud and happy that I'm still doing it,” said Federer. “They enjoy coming to tournaments. That makes me happy and play better.
“Then, of course, my wife [Mirka] who makes it all possible. Without her support, I wouldn't be playing tennis any more - for many years. We had a very open conversation years ago, if she was happy to do this or not. I'm happy that she's super supportive, and she's willing to take on a massive workload with the kids… This life wouldn't work if she said, ‘No’.”

You May Also Like: Federer Breezes To Rotterdam Crown

So what next? With nine titles from his past 10 finals, Federer has won 97 trophies overall and 1,144 matches. Could Connors’ ATP World Tour-era leading tallies of 1,256 match wins and 109 titles be under threat? Having already made an indelible mark on the sport, free of back and knee pain, Federer may soon consider that those long-standing records are worth chasing.

OLDEST WORLD NO. 1

PlayerBirthdateMost Recent Date At No. 1Age
Roger Federer (SUI)8 August 198119 February 201836
Andre Agassi (USA)29 April 19707 September 200333
Rafael Nadal (ESP)3 June 198618 February 201831
Jimmy Connors (USA)2 September 19523 July 198330
Ivan Lendl (CZE/USA)7 March 196012 August 199030

FIRST AND LAST DAY AT NO. 1

PlayerDebut At No. 1Most Recent Date At No. 1Time In Between
Roger Federer (SUI)2 February 200419 February 201814 years, 17 days
Rafael Nadal (ESP)18 August 200818 February 20189 years, 184 days
Jimmy Connors (USA)29 July 19743 July 19838 years, 339 days
Andre Agassi (USA)10 April 19957 September 20038 years, 150 days
Pete Sampras (CZE/USA)12 April 199319 November 20007 years, 221 days

LONGEST GAP BETWEEN STINTS AT NO. 1

PlayerLost No. 1Regained No. 1Time In Between
Roger Federer (SUI)4 November 201219 February 20185 years, 106 days
Andre Agassi (USA)12 February 19965 July 19993 years, 142 days
Jimmy Connors (USA)9 July 197913 September 19823 years, 65 days
Rafael Nadal (ESP)6 July 201421 August 20173 years, 45 days
Andre Agassi (USA)11 September 200028 April 20032 years, 228 days

Statistical assistance from Joshua Rey

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by liz827 Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Cromar wrote:Nike Ad in NY Times yesterday.   Clapping  Love it  King Crown  No1 Trophy

If anyone wants a copy of this ad, I am bringing my paper to work tomorrow to xerox. Let me know and I can email it to you! I love how this addresses all the nonsense we've been hearing for the last 10 years! Love Eyes

liz827

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 pm

^^^
I will pm you my address, Liz. Thank for sending me a copy.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am

liz827 wrote:
Cromar wrote:Nike Ad in NY Times yesterday.   Clapping  Love it  King Crown  No1 Trophy

If anyone wants a copy of this ad, I am bringing my paper to work tomorrow to xerox. Let me know and I can email it to you! I love how this addresses all the nonsense we've been hearing for the last 10 years! Love Eyes

Found it on twitter. It is yours ?

norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 am

It's posted on the previous page already! 😉
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Nice surprise from Nike!   Smile   Would love a pair of those.  Love Eyes

Nike Gifts Roger Federer Custom Air Force 1s to Celebrate Return to #1

Federer Forever.

Feb 17, 2018        

By Brandon Richard  - Sole Collector

With a victory in the Rotterdam Open earlier today, 36-year old Roger Federer became the oldest player to be ranked #1 in the world, surpassing Serena Williams, who surrendered her ranking last May. To celebrate his latest achievement, Nike gifted the tennis icon an exclusive pair of Air Force 1 Lows.

Dubbed "Federer Forever," this pair sports a premium black leather base, metallic gold logos and a contrasting white outsole. 'RF1' has been added to the heel embroidery to note Federer's ranking. The shoes are packaged in a custom wooden box that touts his record 302 weeks at #1 and counting.

According to Nike, these were only made for Federer, but it wouldn't be surprising to see more Federer product released soon considering the run he's had over the past year.

Images from Nike

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:53 pm

I like what Steve Tignor wrote here, exploring a slightly different aspect of Roger's game...

"His tactical acumen will continue to play a big and underrated part in his success."

Roger Federer’s tactics have always been a match for his talent

By Steve Tignor - Tennis.com
February 18, 2018

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 6 0
Roger Federer reclaimed No. 1 in Rotterdam. (AP)

In 2006, the British sports columnist Simon Barnes wrote these words about the ATP’s No. 1 player at the time: “When Federer becomes the boy with the racquet of fire, creating the illusion of art, he also creates an additional illusion: that his opponent is not, in fact, opposing him. That his opponent is in fact cooperating with him. [A match] becomes a pas de deux choreographed by Federer, dancing with a man who is partner, stooge, straight man, and butt.”

I thought of those words while watching Federer—no longer a boy, but still wielding that racquet of fire—win the title in Rotterdam this week and reclaim the No. 1 ranking for the first time in five years. Before 2017, it had been some time since Federer seemed to be choreographing his matches and conspiring with his opponents to make himself look good. Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have always come to compete against him, rather than cooperate with him.

But with Djokovic and Murray sidelined, and his Nadal problem at least temporarily solved, Federer is again having his way with the rest of the men’s field. Since losing in the quarterfinals at last year’s US Open, he has won 25 of 26 matches, and is 12-0 so far in 2018. If anything, he’s having an easier time of it at 36 than he did at 35.

In Rotterdam, Federer’s opponents didn’t just cooperate with him; they took themselves out the competition entirely. First, Tomas Berdych, a potential challenger, got sick. Then the last player to beat Federer, David Goffin, retired from his semifinal after a ball ricocheted off his racquet and nearly into his eye. Then, Federer’s opponents in the semis and final, Robin Haase and Grigor Dimitrov, also fell ill. On Sunday, Federer lost two of the first three games to Dimitrov, then won 11 of the last 12 in a 55-minute sprint to the title.

“I was expecting it to be tough today,” Federer said. “I thought this wasn’t going to be the result, but he looked to be struggling a bit and I never looked back. I was able to execute my tennis the way I wanted to.” In those 55 minutes, Federer had time to hit 15 winners and break serve four times.

“You do the best you can and play with whatever you have,” said Dimitrov, who was swinging for the fences from the start. “I was following my game to the capacity I could and that was the result.”

Unstrung: Roger Federer's resurgence

But while this match was over in little more than the blink of an eye, it did include one telling moment.

Dimitrov won the first game at love with a bullet winner, and went up 15-30 on Federer’s serve in the next game. The Bulgarian, knowing he only had so much energy available to expend, was standing closer to the baseline than usual and taking the rallies to Federer. That is, until Federer recognized it and adjusted—it didn’t take him long. Serving at 1-2, Federer missed a first serve. Rather than kicking the second ball into the corner, he went hard with it into Dimitrov’s body, caught him leaning forward, and forced an error. Federer would do the same thing two more times in the early going, and elicit an error from an over-aggressive Dimitrov each time.

Federer’s adjustment reminded me of the way he broke Marin Cilic’s rhythm at the start of the fifth set in the Australian Open final. He recognized that Cilic was dialed in on his forehand return, so he took a little more risk with his serve and mixed up its location; he knew that holding serve once might be enough to break Cilic’s momentum, and he was right. Federer took what looked to be an overwhelming strength of Cilic’s in that moment—his forehand—and broke it down.

One of Federer’s old coaches, Paul Annacone, who was calling the Rotterdam final for Tennis Channel, likes to talk about Federer’s “recognition” skills In practice, Federer works on combination drills that help him recognize immediately where his opponent’s return is going, so he can, if at all possible, get around the ball and use his forehand. On Sunday, Federer was just as good at recognizing Dimitrov’s aggression, recognizing that it could be a problem for him, and finding a way to use it against him.

Federer has always been praised for his natural talent and smooth shotmaking. When we marvel at how well he’s playing at 36, we typically marvel at how undiminished he is physically, how he still has that same spring in his step that he has always had, how he can still cover the corners and knife his way to the net like few others. But it’s also what’s going on in Federer’s head that matters, and has always mattered. While he can make the sport look flowing and effortless, in reality he has always been a match player, someone who searches for the right shot in the right moment that will win him the point he needs, even if it’s pretty or spectacular. His second serves into Dimitrov’s body on Sunday, as well as the serves he used to escape Cilic in Melbourne, won’t be replayed on any highlight reels, but they were crucial to those wins.

At 36 and beyond, Federer’s physical skills will diminish. But his ability to recognize what his opponent is doing well and finding ways to counter it shouldn’t decline. His tactical acumen will continue to play a big and underrated part in his success.

Federer still wields the racquet of fire that Simon Barnes wrote about during his peak in 2006. But now we can see that, in truth, Federer was never choreographing any dances with his opponents, or conspiring with them to help him excel. He was, and still is, conspiring against them, and that’s why he’s No. 1 again.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:39 pm

^^^
Excellent, no? Conspiring against them. I just love it.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 pm

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/20/sport/roger-federer-retirement-number-one/index.html

Nice article with an audio recording of a 3 minute interview with Roger. Cromar please feel free to embed that here if you can- I don't know how. Thank you message

Edit - Cromar: Luckily the interview was posted on Twitter, so here it is :

ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvfedtenis Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:09 am

I had to come back to this place again to celebrate Rogersnd everything he has accomplished in the past 18 months! World No. 1
Luvfedtenis
Luvfedtenis

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:05 pm

Cromar wrote:It's posted on the previous page already! 😉

Sorry.
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:57 pm

No problem!
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Twitter    Tennis Channel discusses Roger's return to No 1 with Paul Annacone

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 pm

The 20 years (and some) of my tennis life by Roger Federer...  How cool is that post!  Sunny

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 pm

If we're showing CNN interviews with Roger, we cannot forget the best one ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_dOoUXgLE
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum