Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2017

+46
forummember
oldlady
striker
Kop8zky
federerworshipper
skumars
Indybeck71
Márcia
Cromar
Matarsakolito
Lucycanada
InspiredTennis
FedFFL
Sparkle
Federite
MaxUS
UES
angellT
cappucc19o
vrazkar
StrongerThanAll
anutam
fedled
Rufus1
Marcizio14
michelle88
oldfan
tvradke
RMGuillot
Loti
schneewitchen
Katarina_YYZ
avasbar
RogerNo.1
ph∞be
LaRubia
Vinnie
cornnn92
cat29
norinchi
Sherl
wcr
Aprilp20n
mariah1
Steerpike60
Lil_Jay
50 posters

Page 2 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Go down

Normal 'Man' who became 'King' at the Australian Open

Post by Márcia Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:24 pm

From an Indian newspaper, maybe not posted yet:

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/tennis/the-man-who-became-king-4508689/

By the way, all is good but I particularly loved the end... you'll see why. Wink Gif

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2017

Post by Sherl Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Ha great ending indeed! Love the article!
Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:40 pm

Our friend Doris La Rubia translated this interview with Marc Rosset:

„People feel that Federer belongs them“
Marc Rosset can't hear any more questions about a retirement of the 18 times Major Champion. It would be better just to thank Federer for everything.
On 13th February 2000 you nearly nipped the career of a hopeful tennisjunior. Which are your memories from that day?
You mean Marseille? (laughs) Yes, that was the first final from Roger (Federer). I won 7-6 in the 3rd set with a bit of luck. Of yourse I was happy that I won but Roger was very sad. When you play against someone who is near and dear to it isn't the same. I know how I said to him during the trophy ceremony: „Don't worry, you surely will win tournaments in the future.“ That it would be 18 Grand Slams and so many other tournament titles I wouldn't have expected of course.
Federer was very sad and he cried during the award ceremony.
That's understandable. It was his first ATP Final. I tried to comfort him. I already knew him well. We played doubles together. When he was for the first time at Davis Cup in La Coruna 1998 I organized him a room beside my one with a connecting door. We often played Playstation.
What did you think he was capable of when you beat him back then in Marseille?
When I would have said to him at the ceremony: „Relax, you are going to win 18 Grand Slam titles“, he would have surely thought: He is crazy! I saw that he was talented. But there is a difference if you are going to win tournaments and have a nice career or if you become a champion like he is. There is a universum in between. It is incredible what he achieved. For me he is in the Top 3, Top 5 best athletes of all time. With Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan or Michael Phelps with his 23 Olympic Gold Medals. We don't seem really to be aware of that as we have followed his whoel way. But when today someone sees Federer for the first time in his life he feeels like having a demigod in front of him. For us it would be like when Michael Jordan would be sitting next to us. We wouldn't be able to say a word as we would be so overwhelmed.
Was there a key moment for Federer on his way to become a champion?
I think a sad happening was a crucial moment on his development: The death of Peter Carter (his former coach, 2002). He matured because of that.
Who do you see beside Carter as the most important persons for him?
He was fortunate to meet Pierre Paganini. For me he is the worldsbest fitness coach a tennis player can have. But the most important meeting was the one with Mirka. She makes half of his success. They say that there is a strong woman behind every big man. That surely is the case for Roger. Mirka already took things from him in the beginning and today she is still taking the load off him so that he can concentrate on tennis. He is 35, won so many titles and got so much money. She could have said when he hurt his knee: „It's not so bad because you already achieved so much.“ But she encouraged him to continue and animated him.
Does it matter that his wife was a tennis professional herself?
Of course. She understands and loves this sport. She knows what it takes. When you are together with someone who doesn't care about tennis everything is more complicated. For Roger everything came together. First God said: „I give you all imaginable talent.“ Then he has inspired parents who gave him a lot. That's why he is so human. Do you know anyone who doesn't like Roger? Maybe someone says: „I prefer Nadal.“ But I don't know anyone who doesn't like Roger. He is friendly to everyone. Not because he has to but because that's how he is. He loves the people.
When was the first time you saw Federer play?
When he was 14 or 15 years old. I heard that he was extremely talented. He came to Geneve to practice together with me. I was curious to meet him. When I got to practice with Henri Leconte as a teenager it was such a great experience for me. I gave everything and was close to exhaustion. I thought Roger would be as nervous as me back then but not a sign of it! He was totally relaxed. As relaxed as you can be. (Laughs). One ball went into the net, the next one was out, the third went somewhere else. He was totally loose, not nervous at all. I had to laugh because he was so different. I like people who are different.
First you were Federers mentor, then his Davis Cup Capt'n. How important have you been for his development?
When a young player from the same country comes on the tour you are taking over the role of the big brother. You try to protect him and to help him. Who doesn't do it has a problem with his ego. That was not the case with me. At the Davis Cup SF in Australia 2003 the parents from Peter Carter were there and I accompanied Roger when he met them after the match. It was a difficult moment for him. How important I have been for him I can't judge. But when I could help him that's even better.
Which were your feelings about his victory in Melbourne?
I was satisfied for him, for Seve (Lüthi), for Paganini. There weren't that many people anymore who believed in him. But I always said that he would win another Grand Slam title. Roger was often in the SF or Final and then lost to Djokovic. I thought: When Djokovic isn't there he is going to win. And that's how it happened. And now I say: He can win more Majors. Only at the day of his retirement I don't believe in that anymore. You should never use the word never in sports anyway. Especially not with such exceptionally skilled players like Federer and Nadal. But let me tell you another story from the time when Roger had back problems (2013) and changed his racquet,
Just go ahead!
Back then I got a call from a journalist who asked me: „What can advise Roger for his retirement?“ I said: „Pardon? What are you talking about?“ And he: „Roger will go down in the ranking. It's better if he would stop. He shouldn't continue.“ I was angry and said: „You don't care about Roger. You don't want to see him as #10 or #15. You don't want to see him losing in the QF. You want to keep the picture of Roger who wins everything. But why should he quit if he is #20 and still enjoys tennis? Because you are frustrated to see him like that?“ The people feel that Federer belongs them. That is not the case. He has brought us so much joy and the only thing which we can say to him is: „Thanks for everything.“
Which meaning has this 18th Major title for him?
When you won 18 Grand Slams not everyone is the same. I think there are 3 who stand out: The first one is always especially sweet. Roland Garros 2009 was also special for him. He probably thought: It's finally done! And now this 18th title will have a special meaning for him as he won it when he was 35 years old and after being away from the tour for 6 months.
Were you also impressed by his backhand in the final?
Absolutely. I don't know if it was due to the surface that he could attack the ball like that with the backhand. Or if it was his attitude. When he said after the final that he would have accepted a draw I believed him. Of course he wanted to win. But the prospect that he could lose didn't stress him this time that much. That was helpful. Dimitrov already showed a great match against Nadal in the SF. Federer and Dimitrov could play the same game in their matches vs Nadal like Murray and Djokovic, despite their one handed backhand. You can't rate that enough. What I definetely want to say: For the person who was responsible for the surface at the Australian Open one should build a statue.
Because he helped Federer with the quicker conditions to get the title?
No, not because of that. But because we finally saw tennis again which made fun. The Grand Slams in the last years became the same. In Melbourne we saw different styles again. Misha Zverev reached the QF with his Serve & Volley Game. Istomin played incredible attacking when he beat Djokovic. We had more direct points then forced errors. This is what makes this sport so beautiful! It is boring when the ball flies 35 times over the net and the sets end with 4 or 5 winners. Melbourne reconciled me with the Grand Slams.
Could the quicker surfaces become a new trend?
I pray that the organisers in Wimbledon say: „Australia wasn't that bad, let's make our grass also a bit faster.“ Then only the seeded players would have to be reduced from 32 to 16 and everything would be perfect.
What do you hope to get from this?
More excitement. During the first week of a Grand Slam you are just bored. You have to wait until the 3rd or 4th round until the tournament really starts. With only 16 seeded players there could already be attractice first round matches. I don't like this protectionism which cements the Status Quo and makes it tougher for the young players to get to the top. Then there is the fact that the game has become so physically due to the slow conditions that the younger players don't really have a chance. You only have the physical makings with 25 to be able to keep up with the players at the top.
Stan Wawrinka was the only one who could break through versus the dominance of the Top 4. Can he also further develop with 31?
It's gigantic that he won 3 Grand Slams. 3 times he beat the #1 in the final. He plays great during the Grand Slams. Also the SF like now in Melbourne is a very good result. We Swiss are a bit spoilt. He can make progress at the Masters tournaments. During the Grand Slams the format is suitable for him. Stan is a diesel, he has to find into the tournament first. Compared to someone like Djokovic he is more vulnerable in the earlier rounds. But afterwards he is on the same level as the absolute top players. During the Masters tournaments those vulnerability is a problem as he can meet dangerous opponents already in the beginning. He could improve here. But you have to take your hat off to him nevertheless. He has fullfilled his potential to 150%.
Last year everyone thought it would be the era Djokovic. Then Murray got to #1. Now Federer won again. What do you expect from 2017?
I'm really looking forward to this year. I don't think Murray will be as dominant as #1 as the previous players. With Djokovic I'm a bit sceptical when I see how he behaves on the court. You have to take Del Potro into account, also Raonic and Stan. Then there is Thiem, the young Zverev and of course Federer and Nadal. This could become the most open year since a long time.
During the trophy ceremony Federer said he wouldn't knew if he would be back in 2018. Many interpreted this as an announcement of retirement. How about you?
I think it was said due to the emotions. It was a very special moment after he was injured for 6 months. The next day he already made clear that he wants to be back in Australia next year. And during his injury break he said he would like to play for 2, 3 more years. He is someone who takes a long view. He just won a Major, loves tennis. When he is in good physical shape I can't imagine that something will make him to retire at the end of the season.
But he also said in Melbourne that he doesn't know how much tennis he still has in him. How much is it from your view?
It depends how much tennis he still has in his head. Everyone is different. Mats Wilander said he was finished with tennis on the day he became #1. Zinedine Zidane said at his retirement he wouldn't retire because he doesn't like football anymore. But there are the trainings, the massages, the travelling. Of course he would miss it to go out in front of 90 000 people in Bernabeu. But this is only the tip of the iceberg. The people don't see what is related to this.
Do you think that the 6 months break was more important for Federers head as for his body?
He was always a master of planning. Once he explained why he doesn't stay in the same hotel as the other players. This is how he protects himself from routine. It has nothing to do with snobbism. He does a lot that he doen't lose the joy. That was also the case with this break. He got injured again in Wimbledon, the most important tournament for him. What else was left in 2016 which was tempting for him? Olympics, New York, Basel and the ATP Finals. Should he risk because of 4 tournaments that the injury would get worse? The break allowed him to recover mentally and physically and to do a clean build-up. Beside that he could do things for which he normally doesn't have time. It was the best decision he could make. We have seen it in Melbourne. He was fresh and happy to be there again.
How important is it for him that everywhere he goes he fells the love of the fans?
That helps of course. But the drive has to come from inside. You can'rt say: „Great, the people love me, I'm continue to play in order to please them.“ When you are jogging in the cold or sweating during practice on the court none of the 15 000 people who later on cheer for you are there. It is tough and you suffer. But as long as he has this love and joy in himself he will continue.

Original source:
«Die Leute haben das Gefühl, Federer gehöre ihnen»
Marc Rosset kann Fragen nach dem Rücktritt des 18-fachen Major-Champions nicht mehr hören. Besser wäre, sich einfach für alles bei Federer zu bedanken.
DERBUND.CH
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:26 pm

#AustralianOpen  2017.Review .@Tennis_Now Magazine.
RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 C37rrOLWQAA5i69
RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 C37tW4nWYAA619_

More pictures here.
https://issuu.com/tennisnow/docs/aussie_review-final1
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by cat29 Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:46 am

thanks for all the articles. I always liked AO very much. now even better. sweet 18
cat29
cat29

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilp20n Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:24 am

Márciaf wrote:From an Indian newspaper, maybe not posted yet:

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/tennis/the-man-who-became-king-4508689/

By the way, all is good but I particularly loved the end... you'll see why. Wink Gif

Great article! Exactly the type I've been searching since last Sunday. So satisfying to read! A must save!

Btw did the umpire really order 'new balls" when Roger was serving for the championship? Lol. I'd say this win really has helped Roger overcome any mental block he might have for Nadal. I will make a prediction that he will never lose to Nadal again!
Aprilp20n
Aprilp20n

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Aprilpoon, yes! New balls it was! Laughing
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by cornnn92 Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:30 am

Just found this on the French Open website -an article comparing AO 17 to RG 09...

Roger Federer: "I can't compare this one to any other one except Roland-Garros in 2009"

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 C3lgB2tXUAAwR__?format=jpg&name=small

"The magnitude of this match is going to feel different. I can't compare this one to any other one except for maybe the French Open in '09. I waited for the French Open, I tried, I fought. I tried again and failed. Eventually I made it. This feels similar, yeah." Asking Roger Federer to pick a favourite from among his 18 Grand Slam titles would be a heart-wrenching, and in all likelihood impossible-to-answer, question. While he has cemented his place in history with this towering tally, the fact is that each of these 18 crowns has its own distinct story behind it, and the Swiss would have a hard time singling one out. Nevertheless, when it comes to which of these victories tasted the sweetest, the maestro has made his feelings clear. After all, the tenor of a triumph is defined by the difficulties and failures that precede it. In that regard, it is easy to see why Roland-Garros 2009 and the 2017 Australian Open have special significance in the eyes of the men's Grand Slam record-holder.

From the favourite who couldn't afford to lose at Roland-Garros in 2009…

During a glittering journey in which precious little has eluded him, these two conquests stand out precisely because of their elusiveness. Roland-Garros looked for all the world like it would go down as the one that got away from Federer, and all because of one man: Rafael Nadal. In four straight years (the 2005 semi-finals and the 2006, 2007 and 2008 finals), "Rafa" denied "Roger" access to the pantheon reserved for career Grand Slam winners, seemingly condemning the Swiss to the same fate as Pete Sampras: forever having his exploits met with the rejoinder "But he never won Roland-Garros". However, Federer's victory in Paris in 2009 elevated him into a new realm, and it was from this point onwards that he began to be seriously considered as a contender for the title of the greatest player of all time.

The events at the Porte d'Auteuil in 2009 were also telling inasmuch as they underscored that this genius accustomed to outclassing opponents in style was also capable of rolling up his sleeves, winning ugly and conquering adversity. In this instance, he delivered despite the overwhelming pressure and his own erratic play, two factors offset by the unwavering support of the crowd (even when he was up against Frenchmen!) and an inspired tactical switch-up which saw him restore the drop shot's lustre by putting it at the centre of his arsenal. The high drama on display over the course of a breathtaking fortnight, in which Federer could easily have lost at least three of his matches, accentuated by the increased hype because of his previous failures and the weight of history, made that Roland-Garros one of the pinnacles of his career.

The 2017 Australian Open will go down as another for the same reasons. Indeed, there are some striking parallels between the two tales. The wait between Federer's first outing at Roland-Garros as world number one and that crowning moment on 7 June 2009 stretched for some five years. The interval between his 17th major title, Wimbledon 2012, and this year's Aussie tour de force was practically the same. And, just like the Swiss endured three Roland-Garros final defeats before going all the way in Paris, he also lost three major finals between lifting Grand Slam numbers 17 and 18. Consequently, each of these unforgettable, largely unexpected runs to glory began mired in the same doubts. In the Swiss ace's own words, "It was difficult to come into press conferences and say, 'It'll come', because at a certain point, no one believes you any more."

... to the outsider who had everything to gain at the 2017 Australian Open

Given the strides made by Rafa between the Roland-Garros 2008 final and the eve of the 2009 edition, not to mention the bruising Nadal-Novak Djokovic tussles en route to that year's French Open, very few people gave Federer much chance of running out victorious in Paris. Similarly, considering where the Swiss was coming from heading  into the 2017 season, having spent six months on the sidelines with a knee injury, most observers would have required a leap of faith and the imagination to envisage that two weeks later, at the grand age of 35, he would become the second-oldest Grand Slam winner in the Open era, behind only Ken Rosewall's 1972 feat Down Under (an achievement which, with no disrespect to a great champion, cannot be placed on the same footing because it came at a time when the game was less physical and the Australian Open did not attract all the top players).

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 B_COC_4821

However, what sets the greats apart is their ability to keep believing even when everything seems stacked against them, as perfectly encapsulated by these two historic Federer triumphs. There is, nevertheless, one big difference between them. In 2009, the maestro struggled over the finish line as the heavy favourite after Nadal's fourth-round exit had paved his way to the title. It was an opportunity he simply could not afford to pass up. In 2017, on the other hand, the Swiss went into a series of meetings with top-ten players billed as the underdog. This explains the sense of freedom with which he was able to take to the court and so the quality tennis he was able to produce down the home stretch in Melbourne, including against Rafa, so often his tormentor in the past.

"Novak has been one of my biggest rivals. So have [Andy] Roddick and [Lleyton] Hewitt. I don't like to leave anybody out, to be honest. I am sure I have left a couple out. But Rafa definitely has been very particular in my career," Federer was quick to acknowledge. "He made me a better player… because of the way his game stacks up with me. It's a tricky one. It remains the ultimate challenge for me to play against him. So it's definitely very special. I said that also before the finals: 'If I were to win against Rafa, it would be super-special and very sweet' because I haven't [hadn't] beaten him in a Grand Slam final for a long, long time. Last time, I guess, was 2007 at Wimbledon in a five-setter."

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 B_fed3

Special indeed, and every other superlative you can think of. Because when Federer insisted in early 2009, shortly after his loss to that man Nadal in the Australian Open final, that he still believed he had a shot at winning Roland-Garros, it seemed far-fetched. It seemed altogether utopic, however, when, in the run-up to returning to action in Australia at the beginning of 2017, the Swiss announced that he still had ambitions of winning an 18th Grand Slam. Yet now these two achievements stand apart as the two most memorable successes in the legend's extraordinary career.

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 F_EDT3686

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 F_fed4
cornnn92
cornnn92

Back to top Go down

Normal Great Article

Post by Vinnie Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks so much for bringing this article...still so thrilled for Roger while the rest of this country (U.S.) I live in talks about the super bowl.

Also, fyi, it sounds like the old rf.com forum may not be finished after all. Hoping we hear something soon!!!
Vinnie
Vinnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Vinny wrote:
... Also, fyi, it sounds like the old rf.com forum may not be finished after all. Hoping we hear something soon!!!

Surprised  What do you know about that?!  Would be quite some news!!  Shocked
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Miami 2017

Post by Cromar Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:48 am

Look who is on the top of the Miami Open poster this year!   Very Happy

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 C4FHBt3VMAEAxfU

@MiamiOpen
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:24 am

I love this poster. No only Roger is in the top, but also Del Potro is above Stan, Tsonga... It is clear who is most loved and will bring the crowd. Laughing
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Was The Australian Open Court Faster Than Wimbledon? Roger Federer Didn’t Mind!

by Tom Gainey | tennis-x.com
 February 8th, 2017

According to Hawkeye data, the playing surface on Rod Laver Arena during the Australian Open this year was quicker than that of Wimbledon last year, and much more faster than the Australian Open in 2014.

Jim Courier, who’s much better at tennis than math (not “tenths” but “hundredths”), broke the court speed data down on Channel 7 during the event, saying his “head almost flew off” when he saw the numbers.  

Federer, who won the event beating Rafael Nadal in the final, says faster courts helps the older players.

“I think with faster conditions, the older generation, I’m saying like anything before 2005, they are used to faster courts,” Federer said following his win over Mischa Zverev. “From that moment on, it was a switch. Maybe it was shortly before that. I’m not sure. But we had to grow up in faster conditions.

“I think if you look at also Venus, she loves the fast courts. She always has. I think it just is natural for her to play well on this surface because maybe there’s less thinking going on, you just play with instinct. That’s maybe what older guys can do very well because they don’t get frustrated in faster conditions.

“It’s also an art to learn that. You see with Zverev, who was able to attack the net all the time, not getting frustrated. Sometimes it very tricky against that kind of player because we just don’t see it so often.

“But I generally enjoy it because I like when he puts in a nice volley past me. I just think it’s a nice play. I think there’s nothing you can do about it. Then you kind of move on. That’s why maybe I stayed as calm as I did today. Maybe it has helped me, too, in my comeback, no doubt about it.”
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Jay Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Loved some of these articles..the Chris Oddo article was great and the Rosett interview. I found this, still digesting it myself, thought it was quite indepth. From the first few paragraphs I was lauging, I have a beauty of a framed pic and people know when im off work/up into the night to text me!

TOO NICE GUY?
The devil and Roger Federer

By Janan Ganesh, Financial Times

Swissinfo.ch
Febryary 7, 2017

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 2 Rtswfgl-jpg

I know a grown man with not one but two framed images of Roger Federer in his house, the larger of which shows the sweatless Swiss revving up for a cross-court forehand that makes you all but duck in the hallway.

Another Federista is so loyal that, if I wobble home at 5am to find his hero shredding some poor chump in the televised Shanghai Masters, I know my friend is awake in his flat and available to text.

A decade has passed since David Foster Wallace took a break from fiction to describe the “mystery and metaphysics” of Federer’s tennis. Another writer, William Skidelsky, devoted a book to the same obsession.

Lionel Messi has achieved equal greatness in a much bigger sport. Usain Bolt is more charismatic. So if Federer has a special hold over middle-class men, something beyond his talent and stardom must do it for them: a sense that he is somehow good at life.

Urbane, uxorious, multilingual, emotionally expressive, faintly androgynous, Federer offered a different model of maleness to a generation reared after the eclipse of heavy industry and its associated virtues. He became, like Mary Tyler Moore during the rise of working women and birth control, a reference point for changing sensibilities.  

The mistake is to sanctify him. Federer is credited with impeccable personal class, as if this matters tremendously. Tennis, like rugby, can be insufferable in its chivalric pretensions. When he beat Rafael Nadal for his 18th grand slam last weekend, pundits were as rapt by the magnanimity of these rivals as by their play. The mawkishness got in the way of the truth: that Federer is spikier than his reputation allows, and it makes him more, not less, of a model to emulate.

Go over the evidence. The young Federer bloomed a season or two late due, in part, to a volcanic McEnroe-grade temperament. He grew out of it but retained a flair for a barb (“To lose against someone like that,” he once huffed about Novak Djokovic, “it’s very disappointing”) and a boast. His bodily grace can look, to some eyes, like hauteur. A man who spent his best years in a monogrammed cream-and-gold blazer has no issues of self-worth. Even his 18th title came with criticism of the prolonged (some say strategic) medical break he took after losing a set.

This is not the rap sheet of a chainsaw murderer but nor is Federer a monk. He would be no use as a role model if he were. To prosper in life, or just to withstand its vicissitudes, a person has to possess some dark traits in controlled doses: aggression, swagger, ruthlessness verging on chicanery, an ability to block out other people and their judgments. Much more than a trace of this stuff and you are on to the first rungs of sociopathy. Much less and the world sniffs a soft touch. There is such a thing as the optimal amount of devil in a person, and it is not zero. Call it the Federer Quotient.

Everyone knows what zero looks like: the academic wizard who amounted to little in the world of work, the overnice friend who plays the doormat in a marriage, the old schoolmate who should have outdone you in life but lacked the vanity to even think in such terms. We flatter their goodness almost by way of consolation.

The problem is not that we overrate Federer’s niceness - although we do - but that we overrate niceness itself. To put so much store in outward manners suggests a superficiality on our part, not moral depth. To instruct children in decency above all else, when life will demand rather more than that, is to underprepare them.

Attempts to draw human lessons from sport tend to exaggerate the real-world application of teamwork, grace in defeat and other Corinthian pleasantries. More transferable are mental toughness, the projection of confidence even when it is insincere and the extraction of marginal gains through cunning.

“Nice guy” and “role model” have become synonyms in sport but a role model is someone who shows you how to move through the world as it is.

The confusion of the two concepts has given us the fashionable disdain for Cristiano Ronaldo, who overcame childhood hardship, parental bereavement and the culture shock of northern England to become Messi’s only peer at the summit of football. He goes at life in a way everyone should admire but something in the strut and the gamesmanship has made him the opposite of a role model in some eyes - a kind of anti-Federer.  

In truth, they are similar. Federer has a controlled dose of the dark stuff. To get the most out of him as a template for living, do not look the other way.

Lil_Jay
Lil_Jay
Admin

https://federer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LaRubia Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:07 pm

There was a very interesting interview with former Swiss player Marc Rosset in Swiss media.
I thought it was worth to translate and already posted it on my FB but I think it's even better to share it here as well:

„People feel that Federer belongs them“

Marc Rosset can't hear any more questions about a retirement of the 18 times Major Champion. It would be better just to thank Federer for everything.

On 13th February 2000 you nearly nipped the career of a hopeful tennisjunior. Which are your memories from that day?

You mean Marseille? (laughs) Yes, that was the first final from Roger (Federer). I won 7-6 in the 3rd set with a bit of luck. Of yourse I was happy that I won but Roger was very sad. When you play against someone who is near and dear to it isn't the same. I know how I said to him during the trophy ceremony: „Don't worry, you surely will win tournaments in the future.“ That it would be 18 Grand Slams and so many other tournament titles I wouldn't have expected of course.

Federer was very sad and he cried during the award ceremony.

That's understandable. It was his first ATP Final. I tried to comfort him. I already knew him well. We played doubles together. When he was for the first time at Davis Cup in La Coruna 1998 I organized him a room beside my one with a connecting door. We often played Playstation.

What did you think he was capable of when you beat him back then in Marseille?

When I would have said to him at the ceremony: „Relax, you are going to win 18 Grand Slam titles“, he would have surely thought: He is crazy! I saw that he was talented. But there is a difference if you are going to win tournaments and have a nice career or if you become a champion like he is. There is a universum in between. It is incredible what he achieved. For me he is in the Top 3, Top 5 best athletes of all time. With Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan or Michael Phelps with his 23 Olympic Gold Medals. We don't seem really to be aware of that as we have followed his whoel way. But when today someone sees Federer for the first time in his life he feeels like having a  demigod in front of him. For us it would be like when Michael Jordan would be sitting next to us. We wouldn't be able to say a word as we would be so overwhelmed.

Was there a key moment for Federer on his way to become a champion?

I think a sad happening was a crucial moment on his development: The death of Peter Carter (his former coach, 2002). He matured because of that.

Who do you see beside Carter as the most important persons for him?

He was fortunate to meet Pierre Paganini. For me he is the worldsbest fitness coach a tennis player can have. But the most important meeting was the one with Mirka. She makes half of his success. They say that there is a strong woman behind every big man. That surely is the case for Roger. Mirka already took things from him in the beginning and today she is still taking the load off him so that he can concentrate on tennis. He is 35, won so many titles and got so much money. She could have said when he hurt his knee: „It's not so bad because you already achieved so much.“ But she encouraged him to continue and animated him.

Does it matter that his wife was a tennis professional herself?

Of course. She understands and loves this sport. She knows what it takes. When you are together with someone who doesn't care about tennis everything is more complicated. For Roger everything came together. First God said: „I give you all imaginable talent.“ Then he has inspired parents who gave him a lot. That's why he is so human. Do you know anyone who doesn't like Roger? Maybe someone says: „I prefer Nadal.“ But I don't know anyone who doesn't like Roger. He is friendly to everyone. Not because he has to but because that's how he is. He loves the people.

When was the first time you saw Federer play?

When he was 14 or 15 years old. I heard that he was extremely talented. He came to Geneve to practice together with me. I was curious to meet him. When I got to practice with Henri Leconte as a teenager it was such a great experience for me. I gave everything and was close to exhaustion. I thought Roger would be as nervous as me back then but not a sign of it! He was totally relaxed. As relaxed as you can be. (Laughs). One ball went into the net, the next one was out, the third went somewhere else. He was totally loose, not nervous at all. I had to laugh because he was so different. I like people who are different.

First you were Federers mentor, then his Davis Cup Capt'n. How important have you been for his development?

When a young player from the same country comes on the tour you are taking over the role of the big brother. You try to protect him and to help him. Who doesn't do it has a problem with his ego. That was not the case with me. At the Davis Cup SF in Australia 2003 the parents from Peter Carter were there and I accompanied Roger when he met them after the match. It was a difficult moment for him. How important I have been for him I can't judge. But when I could help him that's even better.

Which were your feelings about his victory in Melbourne?

I was happy for him, for Seve (Lüthi), for Paganini. There weren't that many people anymore who believed in him. But I always said that he would win another Grand Slam title. Roger was often in the SF or Final and then lost to Djokovic. I thought: When Djokovic isn't there he is going to win. And that's how it happened. And now I say: He can win more Majors. Only at the day of his retirement I don't believe in that anymore. You should never use the word never in sports anyway. Especially not with such exceptionally skilled players like Federer and Nadal. But let me tell you another story from the time when Roger had back problems (2013) and changed his racquet,

Just go ahead!

Back then I got a call from a journalist who asked me: „What can advise Roger for his retirement?“ I said: „Pardon? What are you talking about?“ And he: „Roger will go down in the ranking. It's better if he would stop. He shouldn't continue.“ I was angry and said: „You don't care about Roger. You don't want to see him as #10 or #15. You don't want to see him losing in the QF. You want to keep the picture of Roger who wins everything. But why should he quit if he is #20 and still enjoys tennis? Because you are frustrated to see him like that?“ The people feel that Federer belongs them. That is not the case. He has brought us so much joy and the only thing which we can say to him is: „Thanks for everything.“

Which meaning has this 18th Major title for him?

When you won 18 Grand Slams not everyone is the same. I think there are 3 who stand out: The first one is always especially sweet. Roland Garros 2009 was also special for him. He probably thought: It's finally done! And now this 18th title will have a special meaning for him as he won it when he was 35 years old and after being away from the tour for 6 months.

Were you also impressed by his backhand in the final?

Absolutely. I don't know if it was due to the surface that he could attack the ball like that with the backhand. Or if it was his attitude. When he said after the final that he would have accepted a draw I believed him. Of course he wanted to win. But the prospect that he could lose didn't stress him this time that much. That was helpful. Dimitrov already showed a great match against Nadal in the SF. Federer and Dimitrov could play the same game in their matches vs Nadal like Murray and Djokovic, despite their one handed backhand. You can't rate that enough. What I definetely want to say: For the person who was responsible for the surface at the Australian Open one should build a statue.

Because he helped Federer with the quicker conditions to get the title?

No, not because of that. But because we finally saw tennis again which made fun. The Grand Slams in the last years became the same. In Melbourne we saw different styles again. Misha Zverev reached the QF with his Serve & Volley Game. Istomin played incredible attacking when he beat Djokovic. We had more direct points then forced errors. This is what makes this sport so beautiful! It is boring when the ball flies 35 times over the net and the sets end with 4 or 5 winners. Melbourne reconciled me with the Grand Slams.

Could the quicker surfaces become a new trend?

I pray that the organisers in Wimbledon say: „Australia wasn't that bad, let's make our grass also a bit faster.“ Then only the seeded players would have to be reduced from 32 to 16 and everything would be perfect.

What do you hope to get from this?

More excitement. During the first week of a Grand Slam you are just bored. You have to wait until the 3rd or 4th round until the tournament really starts. With only 16 seeded players there could already be attractice first round matches. I don't like this protectionism which cements the Status Quo and makes it tougher for the young players to get to the top. Then there is the fact that the game has become so physically due to the slow conditions that the younger players don't really have a chance. You only have the physical makings with 25 to be able to keep up with the players at the top.

Stan Wawrinka was the only one who could break through versus the dominance of the Top 4. Can he also further develop with 31?

It's gigantic that he won 3 Grand Slams. 3 times he beat the #1 in the final. He plays great during the Grand Slams. Also the SF like now in Melbourne is a very good result. We Swiss are a bit spoilt. He can make progress at the Masters tournaments. During the Grand Slams the format is suitable for him. Stan is a diesel, he has to find into the tournament first. Compared to someone like Djokovic he is more vulnerable in the earlier rounds. But afterwards he is on the same level as the absolute top players. During the Masters tournaments those vulnerability is a problem as he can meet dangerous opponents already in the beginning. He could improve here. But you have to take your hat off to him nevertheless. He has fullfilled his potential to 150%.

Last year everyone thought it would be the era Djokovic. Then Murray got to #1. Now Federer won again. What do you expect from 2017?

I'm really looking forward to this year. I don't think Murray will be as dominant as #1 as the previous players. With Djokovic I'm a bit sceptical when I see how he behaves on the court. You have to take Del Potro into account, also Raonic and Stan. Then there is Thiem, the young Zverev and of course Federer and Nadal. This could become the most open year since a long time.

During the trophy ceremony Federer said he wouldn't knew if he would be back in 2018. Many interpreted this as an announcement of retirement. How about you?

I think it was said due to the emotions. It was a very special moment after he was injured for 6 months. The next day he already made clear that he wants to be back in Australia next year. And during his injury break he said he would like to play for 2, 3 more years. He is someone who takes a long view. He just won a Major, loves tennis. When he is in good physical shape I can't imagine that something will make him to retire at the end of the season.

But he also said in Melbourne that he doesn't know how much tennis he still has in him. How much is it from your view?

It depends how much tennis he still has in his head. Everyone is different. Mats Wilander said he was finished with tennis on the day he became #1. Zinedine Zidane said at his retirement he wouldn't retire because he doesn't like football anymore. But there are the trainings, the massages, the travelling. Of course he would miss it to go out in front of 90 000 people in Bernabeu. But this is only the tip of the iceberg. The people don't see what is related to this.

Do you think that the 6 months break was more important for Federers head as for his body?

He was always a master of planning. Once he explained why he doesn't stay in the same hotel as the other players. This is how he protects himself from routine. It has nothing to do with snobbism. He does a lot that he doen't lose the joy. That was also the case with this break. He got injured again in Wimbledon, the most important tournament for him. What else was left in 2016 which was tempting for him? Olympics, New York, Basel and the ATP Finals. Should he risk because of 4 tournaments that the injury would get worse? The break allowed him to recover mentally and physically and to do a clean build-up. Beside that he could do things for which he normally doesn't have time. It was the best decision he could make. We have seen it in Melbourne. He was fresh and happy to be there again.

How important is it for him that everywhere he goes he fells the love of the fans?

That helps of course. But the drive has to come from inside. You can'rt say: „Great, the people love me, I'm continue to play in order to please them.“ When you are jogging in the cold or sweating during practice on the court none of the 15 000 people who later on cheer for you are there. It is tough and you suffer. But as long as he has this love and joy in himself he will continue.

Original source: derbund.ch : «Die Leute haben das Gefühl, Federer gehöre ihnen»
LaRubia
LaRubia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 pm

^^^^

Hmmm. I take issue with some of the stuff in this article and since we are waiting our man to return I am happy to launch a 'civilized debate' Laughing . I do think the qualities Roger embodies like grace in victory and defeat are worthy of emulating and teaching our children. Yes, young Roger had a temper but he learnt to control it and this is what we want our young ones to do- e.g. Denis Shapovalov (apart from all the other young and old people). I'm not sure which qualities the author thinks are devilish in Roger circa 2003/04. His clothes? He cites the medical timeout??? Roger had a practice in privacy- it was well known that he had tweaked his adductor. He talks about insincerity and cunning without any evidence.

No, I don't think nice guys or gals finish last. Our nice guy finished first. A little more civility and respect will go a long way in all walks of life!

And, don't let me get started on comparing CR with our Rog. UGH.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum