Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2017

+46
forummember
oldlady
striker
Kop8zky
federerworshipper
skumars
Indybeck71
Márcia
Cromar
Matarsakolito
Lucycanada
InspiredTennis
FedFFL
Sparkle
Federite
MaxUS
UES
angellT
cappucc19o
vrazkar
StrongerThanAll
anutam
fedled
Rufus1
Marcizio14
michelle88
oldfan
tvradke
RMGuillot
Loti
schneewitchen
Katarina_YYZ
avasbar
RogerNo.1
ph∞be
LaRubia
Vinnie
cornnn92
cat29
norinchi
Sherl
wcr
Aprilp20n
mariah1
Steerpike60
Lil_Jay
50 posters

Page 29 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 39  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2017

Post by ph∞be Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 pm

My own opinion on Roger's back is that he played Montreal because he was tired of practice but did not expect to get as far as he did. I think he just wanted a few matches and was, perhaps, a bit careless with his training schedule in Montreal. Once he tweaked his back I think he wanted to take no chances with USO as his goal. I think he will be just fine. Laughing GO ROGER!!

ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:59 pm

>>I really hope is back is good. Anyone who has watched Kids Days knows how strenuous the game is hitting the targets at a fast pace!!!!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 am

ph∞be wrote:My own opinion on Roger's back is that he played Montreal because he was tired of practice but did not expect to get as far as he did. I think he just wanted a few matches and was, perhaps, a bit careless with his training schedule in Montreal. Once he tweaked his back I think he wanted to take no chances with USO as his goal. I think he will be just fine. Laughing  GO ROGER!!

Exactly what I think. Roger went to Montreal as more of a "get match practice" tournament, never expecting to make the final. And once he tweaked his back, well... it was a minor tweak but enough to where Roger knew he wouldn't be ready to play in just two days. NY is the goal.

And with the way the weather and scheduling has turned out in Cincy.... it was probably a blessing in disguise.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:37 am

HeartoftheMatter wrote:And you Sherl! I am delighted that the forum is here. It is good of you to say hello. I am having a bit of a struggle getting used to this new site, but look forward to the kind of news, exchanges, information that we could share. Roger's facebook is nice,  but sharing things about him, and tennis, is liberating. I hope to encounter other posters, and the old gang, too! Smile Smile Smile

Glad you finally made it here, HeartoftheMatter. Welcome! Red Flower

I am sure you will recognize many names on the Members List (on the menu at the top of the page). And if you have a problem or question, you can always send me a PM. I am here to help. Very Happy
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Roger will finish 2017 where he belongs...#1

Post by Vinnie Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:13 am

Don't have a link to any news or article, but given the rash of injuries, whether they be physical or mental, along with Rafa's diminishing confidence, I'm looking forward to the USO.

Of course, Roger himself could get an injury, too, so nothing is ever "a lock". But as of this moment, I believe Roger will get #20 and the #1 ranking in just over 3 weeks. And if he sticks to his schedule of Shanghai, Basel, Paris, and WTF, he will end 2017 as #1, and justice will again reign in the world of sport.
Vinnie
Vinnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I think that this is still the rumour not news category, until there are photos verifying such, but for those wondering this is what Claudio Mezzadri is saying (in Italian)

Basically, says he should be arriving in NY on Monday and all is positive.  He was replying to a person asking if he knew how Roger was - (has tickets but wanted to know if should be selling them)

For what it is worth, Claudio Mezzadri, is an inactive Swiss player with a best ranking of ATP#26.  Since he became a pro in 1983, I think it is safe to assume he is retired!!  He is currently a tennis commentator on RSI La 2 and Sky Italia via a google translation of his Italian wiki page.  So perhaps he actually has some info???  If I recall, Ivan used to work for Sky Italia??

However, the video I posted in the off-court news thread shows him in a lovely residential setting - that could be absolutely anywhere!!  (except downtown Manhattan!!)

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:11 am

^^
If I´m not wrong , bisogna essere positivi , should be translated as " we have to be positive " or we must be positive.
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 am

^^^
You are right, Dinora.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 am

Marianne Bevis exclusive interview with Paul Annacone as he launches his new book and his thoughts about Roger's chances of reclaiming the No 1 ranking.  A good read...

Paul Annacone talks Federer, Sampras, Murray and more as he launches Coaching for Life

“I’ve been so lucky to be with such good players but also really good people," he tells Marianne Bevis

By Marianne Bevis - The Sport Review
Sunday 20 August 2017, 23:25 UK

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 29 Federer-annacone
Paul Annacone coached Roger Federer between 2010 and 2013  Photo: Marianne Bevis

It is the kind of comment that litters a conversation at Wimbledon last month with one of the best known coaches in tennis, Paul Annacone.

The American, whose autobiography “Coaching for Life” came out a fortnight ago, has guided the likes of Pete Sampras and Roger Federer through some of their most memorable achievements, and has also been called upon by the LTA, Stan Wawrinka and Sloane Stephens.

Yet it was a career move that may never have happened were it not for an unhappy turn of events at the start of 1995. That, then, was where our conversation began.

Annacone was nearing the end of his own tennis career, one that spanned 14 years, took in three titles—including a quarter-final run at Wimbledon—and considerable success in doubles—a French Open title and the final at the US Open—to reach a singles ranking of No12. He even claimed victory over a teenage Sampras in their only meeting, on the grass of Queen’s in 1989.

But during the Australian Open of 1995, Sampras’s coach, Tim Gullikson, was taken ill. Annacone takes up the story.

“I had coached a few players as I was kind of filtering out of my playing days, so I went from coaching good players to kind of accidentally coaching one of the greatest ever.

“They realised [Gullikson] had a brain tumour, so had to get rushed back to the States. I was playing there at the time, and they asked would I just stay and help out, so Tim went home and I stayed with Pete. Tim tutored me through phone calls, and Pete was very candid about how to operate things in his environment.

“When they realised Tim was going to be fighting for a while, Pete said would I stay on. And then I actually herniated a disc around then, so couldn’t play. But it was all about Tim trying to get healthy and me trying not to mess things up.

“Sadly, Tim fought his battle for a year and a half and then passed, and I just stayed on, so it wasn’t the happiest way to be inaugurated… But there were a bunch titles that were pretty important, and that was good medicine for both Tim and me.”

Coached Pete Sampras: 1995-2002

Significant achievements with Annacone: 5 Wimbledon titles; 3 US Open titles; 1 Australian Open title; only SF at French Open (1996); 3 World Tour Finals; 4 year-end No1s

From Henman to Federer

Sampras’s last hoorah came in a glorious fifth US Open title—a then record 14th Major: He would not play again. But Annacone was now a man in demand, and along with some player development with the USTA and later the LTA, he joined up with Tim Henman.

“Tim said, look I’m older now, I really don’t want someone 30-35 weeks, but would you be interested in travelling 16-20? So we got together, and that was a great four years.”

It was also fruitful: Henman won his first Masters title, went deeper at the French and US Opens than ever before, and achieved his highest year-end ranking, No6.”

Tim Henman: 2003-2007

Significant achievements with Annacone: only Masters title (Paris); highest year-end ranking (No6 2004); only SF finishes at French and US Opens (2004)

So come 2010, when Federer was casting around for the ‘x-factor’ to carry him forward from a special 2009—the Swiss had won his first French Open, and then a record 15th Major at Wimbledon—Annacone was an obvious choice.

It may have helped that Sampras was one of Federer’s idols, and that Henman had become a good friend. Indeed, the Brit and the Swiss had notched up 12 matches during the eight years that their careers overlapped—with Henman winning the first six. But although Annacone’s credentials spoke volumes, Federer did his own homework.

“Roger reached out and asked if I would be interested in coming to Switzerland and spending a little time to see how we got along. So I went for a training block, and he just said he’d like that I coach him.”

“And the one thing that really impressed me about Roger—and same with Pete and Tim—it’s always nice to have the goals, but you have to have the foundation. For everything Roger had achieved, he was like, I want to win another Major and I’d like to be No1, but I want to put the blueprint together based on what you and I think to give myself the best chance to get there.”

“And three years later he achieved that, won Wimbledon 2012, got the No1 ranking back, and after almost four years, we ended our time together very, very amicably.”

Roger Federer: 2010-2013

Significant achievements with Annacone: Wimbledon 2012; reclaimed No1 after Wimbledon 2012; 2 World Tour Finals; silver medal 2012 Olympics

Federer, Edberg and Luthi: finding a coaching balance

What stood out in each of Annacone’s on-court partnerships was their unfussy, understated interaction. Sampras and Henman, like Federer now, went about their business on court in a quietly matter-of-fact style, a style replicated in practice.

And it proved to be a style and an attitude that built friendships, as illustrated by Annacone’s description of Federer’s transition in 2013.

“I think if you’re pragmatic and you have good communications with the player, unless there is a huge philosophical disagreement or the player doesn’t work, or the coach is bull-headed, you can figure ways out of these things—a natural exit. And that’s how it was with Roger… I said I’ll stick around as long as you like. And he said that’s great, we’ll just keep talking. Then he thought about having Stefan [Edberg] help… I said that’s great, Stefan has been there and done so many things you’ve done.

“But the biggest thing was he had the glue of Severin Luthi. Severin doesn’t get enough credit: he was absolutely instrumental in helping my transition to getting comfortable, knowing the best way to deliver messages to Roger, how things operated around the court and off the court, and that was really helpful. So when Roger thought about Stefan, even if he could only do 10-12 weeks, that’s great—Severin’s there too. And it’s not like [Roger’s] 18 years old and needs someone to hold his hand 24 hours a day.”

Yes, pragmatism; yes, a knowledge of the sport from the inside; yet something more besides: Annacone has an understanding of the kind of physical and mental pressures faced in the unforgiving spotlight of individual competition.

“It’s a hard business to separate yourself from and not weigh yourself by everything the player does, but I’ve been so lucky to be with such good players but also really good people, and that’s helped me understand the landscape.

“So it’s been an enjoyable coaching journey and now the majority of what I’m doing is TV stuff, and I really love that because I get to live this, and get to see all these great battles between the best players in the world. So I still feel part of it—don’t have to sit there sweating in the player box!”

Now his acute observation, married to such experience, are being mined in that new role—and also before the mic went off on that sunny Wimbledon morning. And as the last Major rears its head in New York, here are a few timely questions and answers.

Can Federer reclaim the No1 ranking?

“I think he very likely could. For him, it’s a by-product, and that’s probably why he could, because he’s not worried about it. But I would also say I don’t think he’ll risk his health to play one extra tournament to make sure he’s No1. Pete was like this at the end of his career too. He’d let go of things. He’d say ‘I don’t care where I’m ranked, I want to make sure I give myself the best chance of winning Wimbledon or the US Open.’

“Clearly Roger has done a great job of letting go of that pursuit of a number. It’s monumental if you’ve never done it, but if Roger and Rafa are still thinking about that, that’s a problem. Novak shouldn’t be thinking about it, and now Andy shouldn’t be thinking about it. They’ve done it, it’s great, but if they are worried about that, it’s misguided priorities.

“Which is why, other than the magic Roger shows us, I look at how he manages his career and how pragmatic he’s been about trying to adapt. ‘I need a break? OK, I’ll take a break.’ He’s very good about making decisions without panicking… and that’s really hard as a competitor to step back and all of a sudden see this guy wins that tournament, that guy wins this tournament.”

How should Andy Murray approach the rest of the year?

“Andy’s been battling a hip, he’s had the back stuff, and he works so hard that sometimes I wonder if he over-trains. He leaves no stone unturned, and also Andy’s coming off a miraculous end of last year. At the time it doesn’t seem to take anything out of you, but what you don’t know is what it does the next 12 to 18 months.

“And Andy’s very competitive and wants to be out there playing… it’s just human nature… and that’s great because he has that passion. But you have to trust the process and let the cumulative results tell you if you are doing the right things.

“One of the things that amazes me about great players is their ability to let the process lead to the result, and right now Andy’s going through a different environment, and he’s so intense and so passionate and so driven and so competitive that I think he needs to make a little bit of an adjustment, mostly just to take pressure off himself.”

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 29 Annacone
Coaching for Life, published by IRIE Books, is now on sale - Photo: Handout

Who among the new generation will first challenge for a Major?

“Dominic Thiem and Sascha Zverev are the two most well rounded. I think Kyrgios is the most gifted but the least able to consistently manage his environment still. So Nick could always come and win one of these in two weeks but his issue is going to be about can he sustain it, does he want to sustain it and does he know what that means.

“Whereas Sascha and Dominic understand that… this is what I need to do to get the most out of myself even though they have a little bit less talent than Nick, they are closer in the other boxes that need to be ticked. I think they are marginally closer to holding a [Major] trophy than Nick.”

Coaching for Life, published by IRIE Books, is now on sale, and will also be available during book-signing events at the US Open.

Edit: Paul's tweet on August 22

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:52 am

Vinnie wrote:But as of this moment, I believe Roger will get #20 and the #1 ranking in just over 3 weeks.

I hope from all my heart that you will be right!! Wink Gif
(even if I'm still afraid of the "state" of his back...)

And thanks to Cromar for this awesome article above!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Roger Federer has ‘genius’ to cap historic year with US Open

Two days before the U.S. Open last August, Roger Federer, done with a series of promotional appearances in New York, took a sad flight back home to Switzerland.

As the Open labored on without the Swiss Maestro for the first time since 1998, Federer and his achy knees hiked in the Swiss Alps with his wife, Mirka, and four young kids.

He contemplated retirement.

Instead, according to sources, he found a new perspective in the altitude. And now the mountain Federer has climbed in 2017 is to the top of the tennis world. Again.

“Nobody’s doing what he’s done before at his age,’’ Brad Gilbert, one of ESPN’s top tennis analysts, told The Post. “He’s putting together the greatest year in the history of tennis, considering his age. I won’t speculate about his retirement. He’s playing phenomenal tennis. We need to appreciate it, run with it and see how far it goes.’’

Flushing Meadows is getting ready to host the Roger Renaissance. Federer, who turned 36 on Aug. 8, goes for his 20th Grand Slam title when the U.S. Open begins Monday.

He has won two majors in 2017 — the Australian Open and Wimbledon — to add a couple more cherries on top of his Slam Sundae record of 17. He also established a record with his eighth Wimbledon title, surpassing Pete Sampras and William Renshaw of the late 1800s.

All this new glory coming after a 2016 campaign ruined by left-knee surgery — the result of a freak accident while running a bath for his kids. During his 2016 Wimbledon semifinal loss to Milos Raonic, Federer aggravated the knee, prompting him to shut it down for the rest of the year, giving himself even more time than doctors recommended.

“I don’t like to compare [his form now] to a few years ago and it is difficult to,’’ his longtime coach, Severin Luthi, told The Post. “Most important for us is that Roger is still hungry and willing to improve every day. After everything he has done and already won, the results this year have been amazing.’’

Flushing travails continue for Federer, who hasn’t won the U.S. Open since 2008 when he won the most recent of his five straight Open crowns. He snuck into New York last week after pulling out of the final major Open tune-up in suburban Cincinnati nursing a tweaked back suffered in his finals loss in Montreal.

Sources say he rehabbed the back last week here and was to return to the practice court this week.

“He’s had this before,’’ his agent, Tony Godsick, said. “Hopefully his back will respond and if everybody’s healthy, he has as good a chance as anyone else. He’s never played under the new roof and he’s the best indoor player in the world if that happens.’’

Federer has mastered the art of smart rehab. After knee surgery in February 2016, he was forced out of last year’s French Open, snapping a streak of 65 consecutive slam appearances.

He returned for Wimbledon and limped away a loser. Knee specialists told Federer he’d need six weeks of not playing and he could return for the Open. Federer wasn’t in a rush, and patience paid off with this magical season.

“He told them, ‘What if I gave you 12 weeks?’’’ Godsick recalled. “He was able to work on his quad stuff, strengthening his legs, his core, other things you’re not able to do as an active player. He was eager to come back. He missed tennis. Sixth months off and it helped physically and mentally after all the years of just going and going.

“He’s never want to go out of the game because of injury. He’s always wanted to go out on his terms.’’

Winning the Australian — his first slam after being stuck on 17 for five years — to open the year was grandiose enough. To do so by rallying against rival Rafael Nadal from 1-3 down in the fifth set to win 6-3 provided him a confidence boost that has yet to burst.

It marked the first time Federer had beaten Nadal in the finals of a major since 2007. Though Nadal will be the Open’s No. 1 seed, he trails Federer by a fat four slams.

In March, in the two biggest U.S. hardcourt events outside of the Open, Federer pummeled Nadal at Indian Wells and again in the finals of the Miami Open.

“Down 1-3 in Australia, that was the best five games I’ve ever seen Roger play,’’ Gilbert said. “It was an amazing field in Indian Wells and Miami and he went through it, hitting his backhand better than he’s ever had. I don’t think I ever saw him play better than at Indian Wells. He’s still moving like a genius at 36. You drop a dime in the service box and he’s hitting it.’’

Indeed, Federer’s backhand, always artistic if defensive in its sliced mastery, has become more aggressive, taking it earlier and with more vigor.

“In Australia, Roger was very successful with his aggressive returning and his backhand, which he played very close to the baseline,’’ Luthi said.

Federer’s new racket, the “RF 97’’ provides 97-square inches at its head — eight more than his previous stringed weapon, granting him extra explosiveness. “For sure it’s helped him in this area,’’ Luthi said.

Federer decided to sit most of the clay-court season this spring, tried to return before the French, but realized it strategically foolish. Godsick admitted it would have “taken a Herculean effort’’ to win it after such little prep on the red dirt. Instead, he honed in on Wimbledon history.

“He scripted the whole season like a genius, takes the clay-court season off, gets ready for grass and doesn’t drop a set,’’ Gilbert said.

After romping over Marian Cilic in the finals, Federer’s eyes filled with tears.

“I honestly didn’t think I was going to be able to run through top-10 players the way I am, win all these breakers, win all these big moments,” Federer said afterward. “I’ve won all the big matches this year. It’s unbelievable.”

Luthi doesn’t think his aim was to distance himself forever from Rafa in slam titles.

“Roger doesn’t think that way — to win a Grand Slam is motivation enough for him to keep on going,’’ Luthi said. “He doesn’t compare himself too much with the others. He makes sure that he is on the highest possible level and he knows what a privilege it is to play in and still win Grand Slams.”

The storybook may or may not carry on into Flushing, but with Novak Djokovic and Stan Wawrinka out and a hurting Andy Murray rusty, the first-ever Federer-Nadal Open showdown could be in the offing.

Though now Federer has new injury to overcome.

“He didn’t call for a trainer, but you could tell in the second set he wasn’t moving in Montreal,’’ Gilbert said. “He’s 36. You don’t recover quite as quickly as 25.’’

Federer vowed to defend his Wimbledon title next July. If this is his last Open, Godsick would be surprised.

“Even if he wins in New York, I don’t see him calling it over,’’ Godsick said. “He still has more tennis — couple of more years’’

http://nypost.com/2017/08/21/roger-federer-has-genius-to-cap-historic-year-with-us-open/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&sr_share=twitter
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 am

Will definitively try to look for it!... 8)

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:54 am

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 29 DH1lB-EXkAEl75s

It is actually Aug 28 not 21. Our Norinchi tweeted the cover.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 am

Yes, it's the issue coming up this week and it's all over Twitter... Laughing
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:31 pm

An article in the lead up to the USO, talking about Roger's scheduling, matches played and the potential for #1.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/comment/rest-and-smart-scheduling-behind-roger-federer-being-on-verge-of-going-to-world-no-1-at-us-open-at-expense-of-rafael-nadal-1.622181

Title:  Rest and smart scheduling behind Roger Federer being on verge of going to world No 1 at US Open at expense of Rafael Nadal
Author:  Graham Caygill

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Roger for Eurosport: "The "Petit Slam"? "It would be a joke", says Federer

"It would be a joke if I win three Grand Slam titles this year, coming out of nowhere"
"I know that if I'm in good shape, I have a chance to do well at the US Open," he admits, "but from there to win? You have to be a bit realistic, I'm not 25 years old anymore. I'm not sure I can still win three major titles in a single year, and winning two is pretty crazy and it will be enough for my happiness if it does not go well in New York."

Maybe a way to remove the pressure a bit ?? Especially after his recent back problem...  Thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum