Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP Finals 2018 Press Conferences

+4
Kop8zky
ph∞be
Márcia
Cromar
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Normal ATP Finals 2018 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference (Nov 9)

Post by Cromar Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:29 am

Note that the video of this Press conferenwas published on Novak's YouTube channel. It seems that full Press conferences of late are no longer being published by the ATP and only made available to the media)?!  

This goes for official transcripts as well, although the ATP published extensive quotes from this press conference in a article that I reproduced below (also published earlier in the News thread).

ATP Finals 2018 - Pre-Tournament Press Conference
FRI Nov 9, 2018

> Roger Federer "I can't be in a group with Novak!" - ATP Finals 2018 (HD)  

YouTube    Djoker Nole - Published on Nov 10, 2018  
Roger Federer FULL Pre-tournament Press Conference - ATP Finals London 2018 (HD).

> In lieu of transcript

Federer Eager To End Positive Season With Success In London

Roger Federer is aiming to capture his first Nitto ATP Finals trophy since 2011. © ATP World Tour

ATP Finals 2018 Press Conferences Atpwtlogo-50x50ATP Staff | November 09, 2018

Heading into the Nitto ATP Finals, Roger Federer took a moment to reflect on his 2018 season as he looks to end his year with a milestone 100th tour-level trophy at The O2 in London.

After a stunning 2017 season which saw the Swiss capture seven titles, including Grand Slam crowns at the Australian Open and Wimbledon, Federer was clear that his 2018 season has been a success as he heads into the elite eight-man event. After defending his Australian Open title to win his 20th major trophy in Januay, Federer has lifted three further titles this year and compiled a 46-8 tour-level record.

"If I would have known that last year, this would have been the season, I would have taken it," said Federer. "I am very happy that I won a Grand Slam. I am very happy that I played as well as I did throughout the season. Maybe Wimbledon and the US Open didn't go the way I was hoping, but those were really the only two disappointments of the season.

"I won a bunch of tournaments again and played great at the Australian Open. Again, I won my home tournament in Basel...

"I have just had a really solid season. I stayed injury free also, for most of the year, so I am actually very happy with this season so far."

With a record six titles at the Nitto ATP Finals, second-seeded Federer is eager to capture his first trophy at the season-ending tournament since 2011. Including his debut in 2002, the 99-time tour-level champion has competed in 15 of the past 16 editions of the event. Only in 2016, after cutting his season short to aid rehabilitation from knee surgery, has the Swiss not appeared at the season finale.

"I love playing this event. I always have, ever since I qualified for the very first time back in 2002," said Federer. "It was a massive highlight in my career to be amongst the best eight and I actually had a great run too, that first time in Shanghai."

Two of Federer's six triumphs in the unique competition have come in London, having lifted back-to-back titles at The 02 in 2010 and 2011. Playing in front of a packed crowd, in a world-renowned venue, has always provided Federer with the perfect end to a successful season. More than 250,000 fans attend the event annually, with global viewership figures reaching an average of 95 million viewers each year.

"Here at The O2 we have really had some great crowds, a beautiful, great venue and also some good matches too," said Federer.

Having hosted the event since 2009, when Nikolay Davydenko defeated Juan Martin del Potro in the championship match, the 10th edition of the event begins with questions over the future location of the tournament. With a contract in place until 2020 at The O2, plans for the future of the event, from 2021 onwards, will be announced early next year. Alongside a number of interested cities, London will be up for consideration when the ATP World Tour makes its decision not before March 2019.

"If [the tournament] stays I think it is definitely a good choice," said Federer. "I don't know what the options are. I think the options are clearly important to look at... If The O2 is happy and the crowds keep coming here to this venue and the Tour has a good deal, why not stay here?

"I don't see a reason to change, unless there is somewhere else. A city that really wants it badly and is really willing to come in and support the Tour in a major way for many years to come... I have enjoyed playing in a city that knows tennis very well and has got a strong media following. It has been a good place for us players to showcase our talents."

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal ATP Finals 2018 - RR1 Press Conference (Nov 11)

Post by Cromar Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:09 am

Nitto ATP Finals 2018 - RR1 Press Conference (vs K. Nishikori)
SUN Nov 11, 2018

Round Robin 1 - O2 Arena - 8 pm

Kei Nishikori Japan   d. Roger Federer Switzerland   :   7-64 6-3   Match Stats

> Roger Federer "Nishikori is a great fighter"

No video of the press conference is available.

> Transcript

NITTO ATP FINALS

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Roger Federer

Press Conference (Round Robin 1)
London, England, UK

K. NISHIKORI / R. Federer
7-6, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. Can you give us your initial assessments, what happened?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I felt we both struggled, you know, throughout the first set. You could tell it was sort of a first round. I had my chances maybe a bit more than he did. Yeah, then I started to feel better in the second set. I think we both did. The level went up.

Yeah, unfortunately I couldn't keep the lead that I got early. That was important, I think, at the end. That was the key of the match, that sort of I guess 10-minute swing at the end of the first throughout maybe 1-All in the second. Maybe being the leader rather than being down so...

Q. Before the tournament I don't know if you were joking, but you were saying in your practice sets you were not doing very well. Is that true? Did that affect you coming into the tournament?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, look, I think it plays different or it's definitely slower than I think the last three tournaments that I've played. So I think everybody's making a minor adjustment, you know. So am I.

I've been feeling, I mean, fine. It's just that practice has been a bit all over the place. Practiced in Queen's, practiced on the outside courts here, then center as well. So it's not always exactly the same conditions. Overall I thought I'm hitting the ball okay. Warmup today was totally fine.

I think maybe we both had a bit of nerves, too, not knowing how to attack second serve. I thought I saw the bit of the same with Thiem, as well, early on, trying to get the right feel for it. I think we both struggled to get that early.

It's okay now, now that the first match is out of the way.

Q. Could you tell us what happened when you got the code violation. Did you approach the umpire? It was hard to see. Did you have an exchange with the umpire? Were you unhappy with the decision?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I was, just because I thought what was his argument, you know, why the warning. But nothing more than that. He thought I was angry. I wasn't. Now I'm angry because I lost, but I wasn't, so...

He knows me very well apparently, or he thought so (smiling).

Q. In general, as you started to play a bit less than you had been used to, do you feel any different pressure at tournaments knowing that you need to do really well at them because you're playing less?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I used to play exactly this schedule for about 15 years, this last second part of the season. It's just that the clay has been less. Other than that, I don't see a major difference.

I want to do well at every tournament. I think fans know that. Tournament directors know that. I know it. My team knows it.

I don't think, per se, I'm playing worse because of it. I think I've had that pressure not going out early most of my career. Once I became world No. 1 anyways. Once you've been a former world No. 1, you always have that for the rest of your career, for every guy.

Yeah, I mean, that my season was never going to be exactly like last year. I knew that going into the season. If you thought I was going to have, I think you are dreaming a little bit, I think.

I'm happy how I played this season. I didn't feel like playing less was a problem, if that's what it was. I didn't feel I played less, per se.

Q. Nishikori has been playing really well the last few months. What sort of level is he at right now?

ROGER FEDERER: His level?

Q. Yes, his level.

ROGER FEDERER: Very good. I thought we played a great match against each other in Shanghai. I think in Paris, maybe also a little bit tired from Vienna the previous week. And today was a first round, you know, of a tournament. I'm really happy for him that he qualified for this event - not taking me out today - but I'm happy for him because he started playing challengers. That was a bold decision early on. Yeah, that deserves credit and respect. I think we all have that for Kei because he's a great fighter.

Q. Can you tell us a little bit about your expectations of the match against Dominic now. Also, considering he's one of the few ones that has a positive head-to-head, but you have to get to know him better on the court.

ROGER FEDERER: We haven't played in a while, I don't remember when that was the last time. I mean, okay, whatever.

I haven't thought about the match, to be honest. I haven't had enough time. I wasn't even thinking who I'm going to play next. I just know I need to do better than today. That's pretty much it.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal ATP Finals 2018 - RR2 Press Conference (Nov 13)

Post by Cromar Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:28 am

Nitto ATP Finals 2018 - RR2 Press Conference (vs D. Thiem)
TUE Nov 13, 2018

Round Robin 2 - O2 Arena - 8 pm

Roger Federer Switzerland   d. Dominic Thiem Germany    :   6-2 6-3   Match Stats

> On-court Interview: Federer Reflects On Thiem Victory.

YouTube    ATP Tour - Published on Nov 13, 2018
Watch as Roger Federer discusses his straight-sets win over Dominic Thiem and looks ahead to his final Group Lleyton Hewitt match against Kevin Anderson at the Nitto ATP Finals.

> Transcript

NITTO ATP FINALS

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Roger Federer

Press Conference (Round Robin 2)
London, England, UK

R. FEDERER / D. Thiem
6-2, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. There was a little bit of concern when you canceled your practice court, it was reported yesterday. Did you feel like you wanted to refresh yourself by having a day off? Was that an accurate report, that you didn't practice yesterday?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes. And I will do the same again tomorrow because it worked. Important was not about my forehand or my backhand or my serve or anything. I guess it was my head. For that sometimes you need a break.

I've been playing a lot of tennis the last two months. That's why yesterday -- sorry, I saw the Nishikori match on the way back to the hotel. A good, long trip. That was positive. Had a lot of time to talk.

We came to the conclusions, or the coaches thought, Take it easy, enjoy the day with your family, and come out happy on I don't even know what day of the week it is today. Again, when you play Thiem, that's what we care about, the head, not the shots.

The shots are there. I felt that way today. So I'm very happy that that was the right decision and I was able to show a reaction from my first-round match.

Q. The television program that you recorded with Bear Grylls was on British television last night. I take it you've seen it. Are you happy with it?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I don't know, I had a good time. Now, if it came across good or not, that's up to the people to decide. He's a great guy. Super friendly, super positive as well.

Yeah, he wrote me, too. He was excited it was airing. He wanted me also to show a reaction today because he wasn't happy with what he saw.

But, yeah, I thought it was a great trip. I'm happy I did it. I'm happy it finally aired here in Britain, as well. I hope the people enjoyed it.

Q. Anderson is your next opponent. Everyone looks a bit further.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I can't, but go ahead.

Q. Do you think you're going to stick with the tactic and have a day off all the time now, conquer Anderson and then the next one?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I don't know. I could win and still not make it, so from that standpoint it's not in my power. That's okay. If I don't pass, I don't pass, and I deserve not to pass. Important for me is to play a good last match here in the round-robin, try to beat Kevin. He has been playing great. He has had a wonderful season. Played great against me as well at Wimbledon. Today he had obviously a good game for him.

So that's my focus. I can't talk about what would come next because it's a hard match in itself. My first-round match here wasn't great, so today was better, and I need to keep that up against Kevin, obviously, if I want to have a chance to stay here in London.

Q. Any favorite for the final?

ROGER FEDERER: Any favorite?

Q. For you as an opponent. Zverev? Djokovic?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah there, you go. Anybody. If I'm in the finals, anybody. I have no preference. But I don't have that luxury right now to talk like this, so please forgive me.

Q. With the Nishikori match, looking back on that, was that a one-off blip, and now you feel mentally you're in the right place to go through to Sunday?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I feel like I'm ready to go for the day after tomorrow. Yeah, I mean, I don't know what happened against Nishikori. Maybe it's the round-robin format that got to me. You don't feel like you have the knife here, like in another tournament, where if you're struggling in the first round, you know if you don't get your act together, you're home in 30 minutes. You know here you're going to play three matches. Sometimes that's going to make you feel, I don't know.

I just came in with a bit -- I felt good all day. I just got a little bit edgy in the match, saw things the negative way. Kei was playing horribly as well for the first eight games like I was. I should have said, That's great, I don't need rhythm, he needs rhythm. Things are looking good for me. It's okay to not start well. It's the first round. It's normal. Sometimes you feel that way.

But I think I saw it too negative. So for me it was really important to remind myself what a thrill it is to play here at the O2. I love playing in London, always have, always will. It is my 16th year qualifying, so sometimes it's just another match. I think that's maybe what happened to me, and in a very disappointing way.

Today, when highlights were showing from the last 10 years here at the O2, I really reminded myself again what a pleasure and what a privilege it is to play in this arena. This is when you start playing better tennis instead of thinking about all the bad things that are going on. There's no reason to get that negative. The tournament has only just started.

Q. Does the Wimbledon match come into the mind at all going in to play Kevin? Same city but obviously different surface, situation.

ROGER FEDERER: I don't think a whole lot, to be honest. I don't know if I'll look at it or if I'll look at other hard court matches we've played against each other to prepare. Because I played great, you know, for three sets against him, and then after that it got tough. He maybe started to serve better. I blinked and he took advantage of it, got back into the game.

Obviously, I don't know, 5-All, 10-All in the fifth set, at that point it's who believes more, who plays a bit better on the opportunities you have. And he was better at the end.

I don't think I'll go into the match thinking, like, too much of it. I think I have enough things to focus on from my own side, from my own game, to make sure I play a good match against him here in the next match.

I'm really excited to get a chance to play him again, to be honest. I've played well against him in the past. I hope I can reproduce something like that.

Q. Are you aware of the comments made by Julien Benneteau in a French radio interview suggesting you getting favorable scheduling? Do you have any reaction to that?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't.

Q. You don't know about the comments?

ROGER FEDERER: I know about the comments, yeah. But I don't really feel the mood during a World Tour Finals to discuss that topic, to be honest. In all fairness, I hope you understand why, because this is a bit of a celebration for tennis. For me it's the year-end finale. I love playing here.

The radio interview that happened over a week ago that surfaces now in French, Julien, who is a nice guy, I know him since the junior times, I think all of this has been totally taken out of context.

I don't feel like I need to comment on this. I'd rather put it to rest rather than adding to it so you guys got something to write about. Thank you, guys.

Q. On that note, is it correct the claim that your agent requested that you not play in Armstrong this year, and would your agent normally make a scheduling request like that?

ROGER FEDERER: I get asked, Would you like to play Monday or Tuesday sometimes. Sometimes I get asked, Do you want to play day or night? Sometimes they go ask the agent. Sometimes they ask me, you know, Asia wants you to play at night.

Yes, sometimes we have our say. But I asked to play Monday at the US Open. I played Tuesday night. It's all good, you know. I've had that problem for 20 years in the good way. Sometimes I get help, sometimes I don't. I think there you have it.

Yeah, sometimes they come ask, sometimes they don't. But a lot of the facts are not right, just to be clear there, from what I heard.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal ATP Finals 2018 - RR3 Press Conference (Nov 15)

Post by Cromar Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:59 am

Nitto ATP Finals 2018 - RR3 Press Conference (vs K. Anderson)
THU Nov 15, 2018

Round Robin 3 - O2 Arena - 8 pm

Roger Federer Switzerland   d. Kevin Anderson  South Africa    :   6-4 6-3   Match Stats

> Federer: "I think my attitude was good today"

Note: This video is muted by default. Just click the 'speaker' icon to turn on the sound.

YouTube    Djoker Nole - Published on Nov 16, 2018

> Transcript

NITTO ATP FINALS

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Roger Federer

Press Conference (Round Robin 3)
London, England, UK

R. FEDERER / K. Anderson
6-4, 6-3

Q. Everyone is going to start talking about the number now, the number you said you didn't want to think about too much, the 100th title. You're two wins away now. What is it going to be like for you going into that match? Does this tournament bring out something special in you to win it here?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I think regardless of the numbers this is a massive tournament for the players. Of course, I can only speak for myself, but I've loved being part of the Tennis Masters Cup at the time, today World Tour Finals. I've always tried to pace myself in a way, set up my schedule in a way that I would have something left in the tank, I would peak at this event.

I'm happy that this is another week like this. Didn't look like it maybe 72 hours ago. But I was able to come back and play good tennis.

Personally I'm still not thinking of the number 100. I won't let that get in my head, make me go crazy because it should be something I'm excited about and not something I should feel extra pressure. As long as I think Novak is in the draw anyhow, he's playing so good again, it's never going to be easy.

My next opponent, I don't know who it's going to be, I think it could even be Novak, but I doubt it's going to be. I think it's just going to be hard to finish it. I'm happy I gave myself the opportunity. I'm happy that I'm raising my level of play throughout this week. This is what I hope to do. Yeah, it's exciting to be in this situation now, of course, no doubt.

Q. We showed some breaks against Anderson. How do you analyze that? You're physically well?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I'm feeling great. I'm very happy that I still have energy left in the tank. Mentally I feel fresh, to be honest.

In terms of the breaks against Anderson, you're talking about the service breaks?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: I think the first one he kind of gave it to me a little bit. I mean, I had one good connection on the return, then he double-faulted twice. Obviously that helped. But still I was able to get it done.

Unfortunately I had a rocky service game myself after that. Didn't let that frustrate me or disappoint me. I kept on plugging away, kept on trying.

I think my attitude was good today. I think I had an aggressive playing mindset, a good variation as well with my slice. I think, yeah, it was just a good match from my side. Maybe also for Kevin. Maybe it wasn't simple because knew he was maybe through. This is the round-robin concept. It can play tricks on your mind maybe. Maybe also he's thinking ahead, of the semis.

For me, I always wanted to win this last group stage match regardless of whether I was going to go through or not. For me, it was fairly straightforward in terms of my mindset going into this match today.

Q. Did you follow the same recipe as the last match, not practicing? Others play with motivation, motivation the biggest talent there is, competitive fuel, you have a couple of Euros in the bank, a couple of trophies, how do you manage to be that motivated?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, look, everybody does it differently. Everybody has got different coaches and entourage that give you different advice.

Look, I'm a big believer in vacation. I'm a big believer in taking time off sometimes. When I go to work, I go hard, I go the right way, I go professional about it with my team.

I didn't think of taking a day off, to be honest, after the Nishikori match. I thought, What are we going to do? Where are we going to train?

They said, How about a day off?

I said, Sure, I'm happy for a day off. It's only if you guys want it.

This is how we took the decision quickly. The day after Nishikori, as we realized it made me happy, relaxed, motivated for when I do come on court, that it's working. We kept that. I didn't practice yesterday. I doubt that I will practice tomorrow.

I think if I can't practice on center court, there's no reason to go on a different court, feel a different type of atmosphere. Here it's great. I can warm up with the matches great intensity and I'm ready to go.

I played so much of my career, so much this season already, especially recently, we just don't feel the urge of having to work on anything. It's all about matches at this point.

Q. After the Nishikori match you talked about the difficulty of adapting between three different sorts of courts. Having stuck to center court, has that improved your rhythm? Is it often a problem when you switch to a new venue?

ROGER FEDERER: It's the same for everybody, for every player. It just gets a little bit complicated sometimes when you're constantly adapting. Arenas change, temperatures change. It's just a different atmosphere. Speeds can be different, they vary. Some courts they didn't resurface the way they did center court, didn't do it at the same time, all that stuff.

Look, I don't complain. It is what it is. But sometimes when you're seeking rhythm indoors, it can be frustrating regardless. It's fast tennis. You don't see that many long rallies anyhow. I think it's very often a mindset on how you approach losing a lot of points in a very quick manner, how you digest those points.

Yeah, so for me this week I'm doing it this way. It's one of the first times I've done it like that. I'm happy it's paying off so far. But I got to be very, very focused the moment I step on court for the practice, the warmup. I think that's key, as well.

Q. Since you were in Lille four years ago and won the Davis Cup, can you give any advice to Croatians how to prepare?

ROGER FEDERER: To prepare?

Q. The environment in Lille, it's quite usual in the stadium. What do you think about that final, last final in this old format?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, my preparation wasn't ideal. It was anything but ideal, coming with my massive back pain from here where I couldn't play the finals, which was a massive disappointment for me. Basically not practicing, I don't believe, until the Wednesday or Thursday before the tie. I was on edge. The team was on edge. Nobody knew if I was going to make it.

We had a great time in Lille. I do believe in a situation like this, in a finals, with everything that has gone by for a team, it's just super important to have great team camaraderie.

Yeah, you prepare as well as you can. Obviously for everybody it's complicated to go from hard to indoor clay. I think that's going to test the nerves a little bit more for the players, especially on Friday.

I thought the atmosphere was wonderful. It's a big stadium. I thought it was going to be cold, but they had put these heaters in. Actually from that standpoint, I think it was quite enjoyable from the fans and the players alike and the teams.

Yeah, I think it's going to be a good finals, to be honest, with top players, especially on the Croatian side, and the French always have a very, very solid team. They have a lot of players to draw from that are good on basically all the surfaces. They cover all bases. Both have really good doubles team.

I think it should be an exciting weekend, maybe one I'll also peek in to see what's going to happen.

Q. Djokovic and Zverev talking about burnout this week, the longevity of the season, what would you like to be seeing going forward? A new tournament launched today as well for January 2020. What can be done for players to ensure the players aren't going to be burnt out come November, December?

ROGER FEDERER: You can get rid of 20 tournaments. I don't know who wants that. Not those 20 tournaments. Not the 200 or thousand players on tour. That's one option.

The other option is as a team, player and team, to decide which are your priorities and how much can a body take, how much can a mind take, how much travel can someone endure.

The good thing is we as players are not employed by a club. I can walk right now out of the door and go onto vacation if I want to. Nobody is going to stop me. They won't like it, but I can. That's a massive privilege, I believe, that a tennis player has.

I think we've done a nice job from a player standpoint to understand it's not something we do, out of respect to the fans, the tournament organizers, the sponsors and so forth, and also just for the integrity of the game.

There's two ways to look at it. One, it's nice that there's so many tournaments. When you get injured, not like skiing, you're going to miss the entire season. The other way, it would be amazing to have five months to work on your game. You could really maximize the player you are, the potential you have. Obviously with the little time we have, there's only so much you can do.

Both are positive and negative. But the way the tour is structured right now, I just think you have to be very disciplined within the team to decide what's best for that player, and the player needs to also give his opinion.

It's a tricky one, but a good one because we have a lot of highlights in tennis that we really can't complain.

Q. You know today was the ATP Cup presented. Last night Djokovic said better quality than quantity, better one event than two or three team events. Today Craig Tiley said there are many sports with many team events in the same year. What do you think? They are a little bit in contradiction, I think. If a player is invited to play the Laver Cup, later when he goes to the Australian Open --

ROGER FEDERER: Are you reading?

Q. Yes, because I'm afraid to forget.

ROGER FEDERER: I like to listen. It's like a goodnight story (smiling). Beautiful voice.

Q. Later when he goes to the Australian Open, he would make some kind of request, court, scheduling, would he be under the spotlight as a conflict of interest? I'm not talking about you, just in general, one player is invited to Laver Cup, then asks something.

ROGER FEDERER: Afterwards you have to repeat the second question, it was long and I missed the beginning because I couldn't believe you were reading. But I get it. You had to be very precise.

The first question was about?

Q. Several team events. Djokovic says no.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, we haven't seen the new Davis Cup yet. We haven't seen a new World Team Cup yet, which used to exist in Dusseldorf, which now is in Australia. They just announced today.

I think we have to wait and see how it is. Like I just finished the question here about it's so nice that we have so many highlights, so many tournaments to choose from. Clearly if the World Team Cup is going to be held, players will want to play that first week of the year, so you would think it's going to be exciting.

The Davis Cup has incredibly rich history. You would think the players are going to play that. From that standpoint, I think there's not that much change, per se, or more tournaments on the calendar. It just happens that there's more team events, which I think the players are happy about.

I remember the IPTL, the exhibitions sometimes. If you make it in a team format, it can be fun. Players enjoy being with somebody else than just fighting for yourself. I see it in their eyes. I remember at the IPTL, talking to the women players, they were like, Oh, my God, this is so much fun for three weeks. Be on a team, support one another on a team, practice with one another, be with one another.

You forget how I don't want to say it's lonely as a tennis player sometimes, but when you win sometimes like tonight, game, set, match, Federer, you fist pump, look at your team, I'm happy, but you're on your own.

Team, like Davis Cup, Hopman Cup, Laver Cup, you're playing for somebody else, something else, a country, a region, whatever it may be. I think that makes the player quite happy and gives a different feel that it can actually also fuel you for other ATP events or other just tournaments.

We've seen that the energy that some players brought at the Laver Cup, we've seen the emotions in Davis Cup, which we'll see also in the World Team Cup in the future. I see the point. We don't know yet. As we don't know yet, let's wait and see what happens.

The other one? You have to remind me. It was so long. I need to answer precisely as your question was so precise you had to write it down.

Q. Someone plays the Laver Cup, then the next January goes to play the Australian Open, they ask to the same tournament director, Can I play this court instead of other? Can I play at night, in the morning, something like that? Would he be under the spotlight in conflict of interest?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I think the tournament will do it in connection with the ATP, checking all the requests with what they always do, with the TV demands. I don't know how much sponsors have to say, to be honest, at a Grand Slam. But usually it's TVs and home market. They go after that.

I don't know about what all the other players are requesting, or if they get asked. So, no, I don't worry about that, to be honest. I think, sure, there's conflict of interest in this sport. We know it. We know where they are. They've been around for a long, long time. They will never go away. I don't think there is any there in this regard, no.

Q. Thanks.

ROGER FEDERER: You're very welcome (smiling).

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal ATP Finals 2018 - SF Press Conference (Nov 17)

Post by Cromar Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 am

Nitto ATP Finals 2018 - SF Press Conference (vs A. Zverev )
SAT Nov 17, 2018

Semi-Final - O2 Arena - 2 pm

Alexander Zverev  Germany   d. Roger Federer Switzerland   :   7-5 7-65   Match Stats

> Roger Federer Press Conference After Loss To Zverev In The Semi Final

YouTube    Tennis All Day - Published on Nov 17, 2018

> Transcript

NITTO ATP FINALS

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Roger Federer

SF Press Conference
London, England, UK

A. ZVEREV / R. Federer
7-5, 7-6

Q. The hot topic to start with. Clearly the crowd weren't happy with the events of the eighth point of the tiebreak. Did it bother or affect you at all, what happened on that point?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, what do you mean, 'it affected me'? Of course it did. It got replayed. I got aced. So, yes, it did affect me.

What are you trying to say?

Q. Do you think it was handled correctly? Were you upset by it?

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, this. I don't know what's rules are. I just think I was trying to think what would I have done in his position, you know. It's bold to stop the rally because I don't know if it's an umpire's decision or not. While you're hitting, that might go through your head. So I would have probably said, Whew, I'll probably keep on playing, unless the ball really rolls into the court quick.

I don't know what happened actually. Was it a bounce and it rolled, or a bounce and he picked it up?

Q. It rolled a couple meters.

ROGER FEDERER: It did roll, okay. Well, I mean, it's a very difficult call. I didn't see it. The umpire didn't see it. But, you know, once the ball boy said that's what happened, linesman confirmed, the umpire believes them, which is obviously true, what is there to be done? It's normal to replay the point from that point on.

It was obviously a big call. Instead of being in the rally in a decent position, you get aced, yes, it makes a difference. It could have made a difference. That's all hypothetically speaking now at this point.

Q. How do you assess your performance today? Do you feel you were where you wanted to be? Something was lacking or...

ROGER FEDERER: I didn't think I was hitting my spots very well for the majority of the match. I think it came towards the end, which helped me to make it competitive and close at the very end.

I think I could have done better on returning Sascha's first serves, as well, in spells. I thought especially on his first serve in the beginning I struggled. I got into a better rhythm after that.

Obviously having the break and giving it back again, that was disappointing. Reminded me a little bit of the Nishikori situation.

Yeah, I mean, I feel like I can play better. But did that have anything to do with Sascha's game? Maybe, as well. But, yes, I just think it was one of those indoor matches. You can always look back and dig, what didn't go well.

Sometimes margins are slim, opportunities are rare. It's a point here and there that maybe didn't go my way. Maybe also I didn't push enough or I didn't have enough today to make the difference, to be honest. I was always running after the score most of the time. Over time it catches you, obviously.

Q. From the first question, it's in the rules what Sascha did. But is it in the spirit of the game? Would you have done the same had you been in that situation, if you'd seen it in your eyeline? Would you have stopped playing?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I'm not questioning Sascha's sportsmanship in any way. I think, like I said before, it's a bold move by Sascha to stop the rally because the umpire can just say, Sorry, buddy, you're in the rally. I don't care. You lost the point. I didn't see it.

That's where I just wanted to double-check with the umpire, what is the situation. But not for a second there was a sportsmanship situation there. It was just totally an umpire's decision with the ball kid and the lines person, as well, just making sure they got the facts right.

I don't know what the rule says. I always thought it was an umpire's decision, not a player's decision. In practice we stop rallies all the time when balls come flying from the second court. Like this, in that kind of a circumstance, it was a tough one for everybody involved, also for Sascha.

Q. You've always been supportive of Sascha, particularly going back to the Australian Open when you consoled him after his defeat. What did you say to him after the match? Do you think after his performance today he can go on and win it tomorrow?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, of course. I mean, he's obviously a good player, so clearly there's all the chances there to win. There's only one match left. He's a top-five player. There you go. He's got what it takes to win against anybody.

I think you make a bigger deal of the situation after the Australian Open than it actually was. It was a tap on the shoulder, just a little cheering up rather than like a full-on session of me getting into his head and telling him, It's all good.

Maybe it was a bigger deal for him. But for me it was something very short. Just trying to cheer him up a little bit after a tough loss.

What was the other thing?

Q. The chance of him winning it tomorrow, can he beat Novak?

ROGER FEDERER: Novak is not in the finals yet. Even if he is, I think I answered the question, yeah. But anything is possible, for sure.

Q. Clarify the incident in the tiebreak. What did you say to the ball boy? Did you get the chance to speak to him afterwards by any chance?

ROGER FEDERER: No. Maybe he's coming to dinner, I don't know (laughter). Give me a smile, don't be too serious, please. It was a joke.

I just asked him, Did you drop the ball? I didn't understand what he said. I said, Did you drop the ball?

He said, Yes, I did drop the ball.

From that standpoint, it's, Okay, no problem, that happens.

It's all good. It's all good. I hope he doesn't have a sleepless night. It's not a big deal at the end of the day. It could have been if maybe I win the next point.

Whatever happened, this is life, this is sports. I'm definitely not mad at him. It's all good, you know, from my side.

Q. I think you left the court by the time Sascha was booed by some sections of the crowd for apologizing for what happened. What do you make of all that?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, no, I mean, look, I understand the frustration. It's just unfortunate circumstances. These things happen. Booing, I never like it. We see it in other sports all the time, but in tennis it's rare. So when it happens, it gets very personal and we take it very direct.

I think it's unfortunate that this happened. Sascha doesn't deserve it. He apologized to me at the net.

I was like, Buddy, shut up. You don't need to apologize to me here. Congratulations on a great match and a great tournament so far. All the best for the finals. And you move on.

He shouldn't be apologizing. He didn't do anything about it. He just called it how it was. He felt it affected play. There is a rule that if something like this happens, obviously you replay points.

Should the umpire have explained his case more in that very moment? I mean, rules are rules. Replay the point. Everybody deal with it. You know, I did. We move on.

But, yeah, you don't like to see it. But, look, it happens. I'm sure he won't be booed coming out for the finals, or at least I hope so. It's not his mistake. I think people will be happy to see a good finals tomorrow.

Q. The season is obviously over for you now. If you have to look back on 2018, how would you evaluate things for yourself? As you look ahead to 2019, your thoughts there?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, Sampras once upon a time said, If you win a slam, it's a good season.

So started great. I played super well in Australia again. So obviously I can't wait to go back there in a couple of months.

The second half of the season could have been better maybe. I also have high hopes to always do well. So I'm happy I gave myself opportunities again in that second half of the season. I maybe lost a couple too close matches that could have changed things around for me a little bit. I don't know, Paris or Wimbledon, whatever happened.

I'm here now. So I'm a little bit disappointed there because I believe I was close. Being close makes me believe I can keep going, I can win again. That's uplifting in some ways.

But because I know I could have won, I'm also disappointed because I aim high. From that standpoint, I'm a little bit disappointed now, which is normal.

Overall I'm happy how the season went. There's many positives, to be quite honest. So I'm excited for next season, yeah.

Q. This defeat, you need 100 titles, you have won so many.

ROGER FEDERER: I don't need it, but go ahead. I will breathe air also if I don't (smiling).

Q. But that means that next year we have you in the courts and we'll have you with the same spirit since Houston 2003?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I mean, look, I can't wait to go on vacation with the family. I don't want to say I can't wait for the buildup. It's something that doesn't bother me, you know, to work hard in the off-season.

But I don't know, with the experience I have, and my team, I think we're eager to see what we're going to work on exactly. Also what's the decision on the clay, seeing what's going to transpire through the vacation, what is my thoughts, all that, then taking the decision at some point in next few weeks on that.

Yeah, so definitely the plan is to play again next year, and come up with a good schedule that suits my family, suits Mirka, me. That's why it's good that we have time now. Also that suits fitness coach, physio, coaches, and everybody.

Yeah, looking forward to that process. I like taking decisions, so it's all good.

Q. As a ball boy, you never lost the ball?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't remember. I probably did (laughter).

Q. Five years ago you would have signed to be No. 3 in the world being 37 years old or not?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I probably would have. I must tell you I'm very proud that at 37 I'm still so competitive and so happy playing tennis. From that standpoint, I mean, as disappointed as I might be about this match, if I take a step back, I'm actually very happy about the season.

It's been an historic season in some ways. Got back to world No. 1. For me, that was a huge moment in my life, to be honest, in my career because I never thought I would get there again.

Like you said, five years ago, where was I? I was probably fighting with back pain in '13, not sure if I was ever going to figure that back pain out again because I had it for almost probably four or five months of the season. It really rocked my tennis for a bit.

Here I am having actually a pretty good season physically, as well, won another slam, got back to world No. 1. So, yes, you can see it as a very, very positive season. That's probably how I will look back on it, as well, once on vacation.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: ATP Finals 2018 Press Conferences

Post by Márcia Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks, cromar, for all the interviews. So good to read it.

Roger seems more and more himself in the interviews, not trying to be nice with some stupid questions. I like it a lot.

Totally off Topic , how are you?
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Thank you so much cromar!

And, yes, I second Marcia's question: how are you? I hope your recovery has gone well.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:23 am

Oh, thank you for asking!  And, yes, I am doing well. Going home tomorrow!  Bliss  

Since Friday, I am allowed to put my foot down and start walking a bit... still with a walker, but at least I don't have to hop like a Bunny  anymore!  Laughing  Still will be wearing that wonderful 'boot' for another month, but things are definitively looking up now! Happy

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:56 am

That red moccasin looks rather fetching cromar!!
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Kop8zky Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Have a good recovery, cromar!
And thanks for the lot of work you are doing for us, even from recovery-bed and -hopping!!
Kop8zky
Kop8zky

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Cromar, also from me!!!! Love it Love it
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:10 pm

The pants and the red mocassim, just beautiful choice to add the recovery. Good to know you are already going home. I/we wish you all the best, dear cromar.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:54 am

Cromar,Smile Glad you are going home! Do take care, with your walking and whatever you do, and don't rush with anything. Forgive my advice....I know you are aware of these things. I am just glad you are at this point. You took it so stoically!
I keep coming to see if there are any bits of news. As I like your style, in clothes and shoes, I must say I do like Roger in the Uniqlo outfits, too. Some like the mulberry coloured one, the material could have had a bit more body. When Roger sat in his chair, he draped his hand with the towel over his lap a bit, and I don't think it was for his hand necessarily. It was a bit of extra modesty, as the material was a little too soft of clingy and when sitting could have clung too tightly. The white shorts didn't seem to have the problem.
Oh, I heard rather read on a RF forum I wondered into that Uncle Tony had said that Our Roger will not win another slam. Why does that jealous fellow do that? He's said some negative things about Roger. In the beginning, it was about how much harder Nadal has to work than Roger. Then, a couple of years ago, he said he doesn't like Roger's style of play. What he meant was that he likes those endless grinds at the baseline. Now this. It is very poor behaviour, especially as his nephew is a rival. Oh, come on mr. cheat.... Giggle

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Powerslave Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:48 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/tennis/46287522

Get lost Toni!!

Powerslave

Back to top Go down

Post by StrongerThanAll Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:12 pm

ya he would never win 18 either.
StrongerThanAll