Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2019

+16
EvaJoya
federerworshipper
Kop8zky
schneewitchen
norinchi
Veerke
Marly 103-20
Cheadlebeagle
striker
inzigia
Steerpike60
HeartoftheMatter
oldfan
Sherl
Márcia
Cromar
20 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2019

Post by federerworshipper Mon May 27, 2019 1:44 am

CROMAR: Thank you for the articles. I have watched that match against Rafter many times.

MARCIA: Thank you so much for that, yes, wonderful and very long article by a Sarah Kaufman. I enjoyed reading it. Love that phrase she used, "GRACE UNINTERRUPTED" on and off court. Good to have another adjective to describe the wonder of Roger, as we are running out of them.Smile

federerworshipper

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaJoya Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Márcia wrote:Just saw this wonderful article on twitter, but I don't know how to copy it. So... the link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/why-roger-federer-is-the-most-graceful-athlete-of-our-time/2019/05/23/1f3a6c30-7bf8-11e9-a66c-d36e482aa873_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b5182d99eb62

Just came here to post about it too... Remarkable article, by a dance critic, no less! Thanks Marcia!
EvaJoya
EvaJoya

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon May 27, 2019 4:52 pm

I can't get this article as I would have to subscribe. But, to reassure Marcia: don't worry. We won't run our of words or phrases to describe Roger's game!!! Smile

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon May 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Here is the Washington Post article for you, HOM, minus the pictures (lack of time), except one!  Smile

RF Tennis News 2019 - Page 6 YWHU6RDYBYI6TN5OHEG6IJMWME

Why Roger Federer is the most graceful athlete of our time

By Sarah L. Kaufman | washingtonpost.com
Dance critic
May 24

Roger Federer arrives at the French Open tennis tournament this weekend not just as the king of the courts and an icon of class, but also a poetic inspiration with a racket.

It’s not only the ancients who looked at athletes and saw classical ideals and paragons of beauty. To many hardcore sports fans and tennis lovers, as well as to the passionately idiosyncratic Fedfans, the 37-year-old Swiss belongs equally to the realm of aesthetics as to sports.

Of course, there may be skeptics on this point. To think there’s such a thing as a poetic tennis player! And yet, why not? Let’s agree that Federer is unique in stature, and if his place in tennis history is far from settled, there are plenty who consider this holder of 20 Grand Slam titles to be the all-time greatest of the sport. But his record and ranking are somewhat beside the point here. I’m interested in the living, continuous, moment-to-moment pleasure of watching him play, and the artistic value of this.

That light, fluid footwork, the great coil in his midsection at the start of his stroke, the way he transfers his weight as if there’s no weight, only air and rhythm, his staccato steps and lingering leaps, and the lag in speed between his racket and his wrist. In Federer’s mix of dependable organization and electrifying spontaneity, performed with transporting ease, he produces an effect on the viewer that transcends tennis, athletics and even the body.

Federer “is a classical musician whose symphonies have the power to enrapture us,” writes an admirer on the fan site Federerism. “He is the artist who paints a masterpiece with his every move. He is a ballet dancer.”

Such praise is rather understated, as Federer tributes go. “On the 8th day, God created Federer,” proclaims the Twitter account Federer_Fans. David Foster Wallace redefined the tennis star as a means of spiritual conveyance in a superb 2006 essay titled “Roger Federer as Religious Experience.”

What Wallace was talking about — and what Fed fanatics know — is that the subtlety, intelligence and beauty of Federer’s play can pull us into a direct and instant involvement with grace. We experience a dimension of humanness that feels perfected and free, even close to divine. Great artists can do this to us. When Russian ballet star Mikhail Baryshnikov flew into the air, he took thousands of opera-house hearts with him, because the effortless stretch and expression of his body released some unnameable, pleasurable sensation in the audience, deep within its nervous systems. The effect was complicated and confusing. There are times when, watching Baryshnikov dance, I was aware of only a dazzled feeling, like a burst of light that left me dizzy.

That’s the kind of mind-blowing awe I feel when Federer sweeps across the clay and, oh, I don’t know, twirls halfway round and whips his racket between his legs or over his shoulder without looking and sends the ball streaming to the opposite baseline like lightning from the fingertips of Zeus. We see the shot and don’t see it at the same time. The conscious mind can’t understand how it happens. But the interplay of his movement and our emotions affects us on a level of pure feeling. Science and grunt work create that kind of casual-looking flick, a combination of Federer’s uniquely wired brain and years of conditioning. But it seems like a miracle, not only amazing but effortless. That’s the grace of Federer. He hardly breaks a sweat, and we are left without air in our lungs.

Federer’s extraordinary moments of precision may be fewer now than a few years ago, but his ease of motion and the harmonious flow of his game remain. Whether he’s airborne or skittering on the surface, Federer’s motor impulse is continuous; one move rolls into the next. The tempo and dynamics change — explosiveness is subtly cushioned and slowed, a forward dash comes to a crisp halt, before he bounces away again. But there’s always a sense of smooth responsiveness, and an awareness of line and form.

He knows how good he looks. “I always think that shots really look nice when you are on the move,” he told the website Tennis­world recently, speaking of his forehand and his slice. “It’s much more spectacular and elegant than just standing here and hitting a shot, so I like to hit a shot when I am moving.”

Spectacular and elegant, or we could just call it graceful.

We don’t usually speak of professional athletes in terms of grace, though this is odd when you think about it. If grace is the sweetest, most pleasing aspect of the body, we should find it in abundance among athletes at the elite level. After all, their bodies perform to extraordinary standards, and it’s their job to perfect the way they move. Yet we mostly talk of sports in uber-manly terms, such as toughness, dominance and power. Also, let’s be honest: There’s not a lot of grace to see in sports anyway. A steroid aesthetic prevails, and explosive force and aggressiveness are prized over the refinements of agility, balance and coordination.

As for the grace of behavior and social interaction, sports heroes don’t always shine here either, where scandals are more likely to grab headlines. Social graces aren’t top of mind when we think about pro sports.

Federer, though, glides right into both categories of grace, the physical and the social. He floats in, relaxed and natural, bearing this burden of perfection as lightly as one of those glossy, twirly strands of hair that flop over his Uniqlo headband when he’s on the court. He doesn’t grunt or wail. (Losing to Federer last week at the Italian Open, the young Croatian Borna Coric groaned mournfully with every shot, as if releasing puffs of agony.) Federer is under pressures of fame and the inevitable effects of aging, but you don’t see him suffering from existential problems. Instead, there’s his seemingly stable marriage, four adorable children who travel with him, the warmth of his friendship with rival and near-opposite Rafael Nadal. He even fan-girls over Hugh Jackman.

He cares about grooming and style and he treats people, by a preponderance of evidence, with respect. It’s all rather consoling in an era where . . . well, we shouldn’t ever take such decencies for granted.

Perhaps the greatest manifestation of Federer’s grace is the way he carries it so easily. It is uninterrupted, on the court and off.

That’s the mark of a truly graceful athlete, in my opinion. Federer isn’t the only one — far from it. Grace is subjective, and it can mean different things to different people, but for me it comes down to ease and generosity, unified in body and spirit. Muhammad Ali was the total package, with his floating, almost musical buoyancy in the ring; his Michelangelo-designed body, beautifully sculpted but not over-bulked; and his exuberant showmanship and audience appeal that was upbeat rather than off-putting. Ali was also a committed humanitarian, using his celebrity to fight racism and uphold tolerance. Even when weakened by Parkinson’s disease, he pursued his causes, including helping to release American hostages held in Iraq.

Baseball offers up notable examples of grace. St. Louis Cardinals shortstop Ozzie Smith was gloriously, effortlessly acrobatic on the field. He earned the moniker “the Wizard of Oz” through an acute sense of his body in space that allowed him to redefine what a shortstop could do (including turning backflips at will). He didn’t have a towering physique; he was a human-scaled hero, with a joyful, pleasure-giving nature.

Joe DiMaggio was known for his loping grace on the field, but less talked about is the grace of Lou Gehrig, to name another old-school Yankee. His consecutive-games streak stood for 56 years as an emblem of humility and responsibility, and his “luckiest man on the face of the Earth” speech is a shining example of focusing on others, by bucking up his fans and expressing gratitude rather than dwelling on the difficult hand fate had dealt him. He improvised that simple, eloquent address at Yankee Stadium after the disease that would bear his name put an end to his career.

Consider Jerry Rice, the San Francisco 49ers wide receiver whose secret wasn’t brute strength but agility, an aerial leap and astonishing speed and coordination, born of ceaseless drills, which made him the uncatchable king of the game-winning touchdown. And tennis’s Chris Evert, with her beautiful manners and air of mystery, her composure under pressure, remaining error-free in the tightest situations, and her quiet professionalism. Figure skater Michelle Kwan was an artist on the ice and is a role model off it. The multiple world-record-holding Olympic swimmer Katie Ledecky radiates happiness and is prized as a generous teammate. She possesses an unshakable work ethic and a useful tendency to rail about drug use.

This is a partial list, but you get the idea. Graceful athletes are living art objects, poetry in motion. Their bodies are honed according to principles of art, with pleasing proportions and balance, and they operate harmoniously, with a sense of organized movement and a lively and exciting rhythm. They seem carried along by an unseen force, weightless and frictionless. Time slows for them, gravity looks the other way. Equilibrium is their soul mate.

Of course, Federer is not immune from mortal afflictions, as his recent withdrawal from the Italian Open proved. Yet he triumphed there with characteristic fluidity, and it’s not easy to spot the bad slide in his match against Coric that he blamed for his leg injury. It might have been at the start of the second set, where he skidded on the lines and slammed on the brakes, sending his weight back and nearly, just for a flickering millisecond, losing his balance. He finessed it largely with his knees — in their crisp, right-angled bend, you see an instantaneous rise of tendons under the skin, part of a network of muscle and connective tissue rallying to win against gravity and the backward thrust. He recovered instantly, Federerly.

He won that match, reaching the quarterfinals, but he didn’t emerge unscathed. The subsequent news of his withdrawal made thousands of hearts uneasy. Every injury to a 37-year-old athlete, or dancer for that matter, feels monumental, and this is Federer we are talking about. But if Federer was among the worried, he didn’t let on. His announcement was generous and warm, touched with a slight reserve, like something an E.M. Forster character might write: “Rome has always been one of my favorite cities to visit, and I hope to be back next year.”

There’s something humble and human in the phrase “I hope to be back next year,” something that encapsulates Federer’s grace. It’s simultaneously a statement of desire and an acknowledgment that it’s not all up to him, and that he might fail. However much he loves this game, there’s an X-Factor of fate determining whether he shows up for every tournament on his schedule and how far he progresses.

That glossy hair will one day thin and go gray; the time will come when he can’t dance across the tennis court and our TV screens any more. But the way Federer lives and plays now, the way he hopes, never settles — this all feels like a promise that whatever buoyed him through years of greatness and revelation will stay with him. And will continue to inspire us. Federer exhibits enough of the ideal for the rest of us to know it’s possible.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon May 27, 2019 7:16 pm

Douglas Perry rebutal to Sarah Kaufman...

Roger Federer’s artistry ‘transcends tennis,’ but dance critic’s argument won’t end GOAT debate

By Douglas Perry | The Oregonian/OregonLive
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon May 27, 2019 7:40 pm

^^^
The argument don't mix things. Of course, we can say that Santoro was a magician, his game was a beauty to watch BUT he cannot be considerer - for this - the GOAT.

Roger mix the art with the wins. And I hope this will be considered in the future, when the wins can become the same. But even if the wins (which I don't believe) the weeks as nr. 1, the longevity, a lot of factors will certainly be in the balance.

Of course, for me he is already the goat since many years. Douglas Perry is jealous of Sarah Kaufman, no? Wink Gif
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 am

Exactly. I don't like it when they keep on about Roger's grace, or rather, it is the best way to play. He is balanced, aligned, and he moves lightly: it is why his game is so great, why the out of this world shots, and why it looks effortless, while most yell, whine, moan and grunt and groan with each effort and not just the serve. His balance on the whole is perfect, and that's what enables him to make those shots, along with the timing.
Some love to continue the debate, as stirring up interest and excitement, but really it gets tedious at times. Although i haven't read the article comparing what appears to be dance like qualities, and I see that it is tempting to put things down to that, there are sports that have and need similar qualities, such as gymnastics, even for men, and it aids in the precision. If there are those who think that the constant big hitting is what makes tennis, then there is something that is not understood. Because there is power there, at all times, whether it is the power of control or the all-out effort. Roger, who else, is the greatest of all time. It should not be a question any more, but of course, there are those whose ambitions are not satisfied unless they go beyond the one who plays in a way and wins--yes, you are right Marcia--that beats most things.
But then, I am preaching to the converted! Go Roger!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue May 28, 2019 12:25 am

What a twit I am! Cromar, thank you so much for bring the article here! After I posted, I scrolled up, and saw it! It is very well done by Sarah L. Kaufman. Her writing is to the point, and not just "pretty" but presenting a whole picture of this phenomenon, Roger Federer. She is very apt, and thus far, the only one to make the comparison of Roger with the Greeks, and their sculptures of athletes, effortless, visible as they had emerged from stone.[/u]Unless of, of course, I missed it from someone else.
It is particularly pleasing that she evokes or quotes other writers' observations. I always loved the Wallace essay, and that comparison to religious experience. We are in that moment with Roger, fully immersed in it and at one with him and others watching him.
Furthermore, it is not a matter of personal taste. It is there, the way you see whatever is beautiful in its own way, that nothing can be added to it or taken from it. It manifests itself constantly and in an "inner" manner, and not from outside.
It makes me happy when I see how other people have this great understanding and appreciation and that they share it with the rest of us.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue May 28, 2019 12:28 am

P.S. It is hard to stop talking about Roger! I forgot to include the reference Kaufman brought up. It is quoting Roger himself, saying how a shot can be made by standing in one place, but that it acquires other qualities when it is hit with the player on the move. Yes, and it is also harder! It adds to the fluidity but it requires more precision and greater effort.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:43 am

How a French Open win over Tommy Haas cemented Federer's legacy Peter Bodo

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/26850806/how-french-open-win-tommy-haas-cemented-federer-legacy

I enjoyed this walk down memory lane very much!
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Normal Commentators

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:43 pm

What a memory, that whole Roland Garros experience! I remember that well, the match against Tommy Haas. John McEnroe was commentating, and Roger was really down and it looked like he would cement that perhaps into a loss, but then, out of the blue more or less, he made a crosscourt forehand, with serious force and a scary angle and even more scarily on the line, and won that point
McEnroe--and this is why, although he annoys me frequently--understands things beyond score lines--immediately said ...this is it. his game is back. It was enough for him to witness that shot, all-out, risky, full force and no hesitation, and he just understood that the game had changed in Roger's favor.
Despite the sometimes odd or silly things, the chatter, he is the best commentator, alongside Cliff Drysdale.
A good commentator can add to the game, but he has to know the game from experience at his level, and with true involvement. Some commentators supply a deeper understanding, but he also has life to his presentation, whereas some others speak in a steady monotone.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:36 am

Federer Starts Grass Season With Straight-Set Win in Halle

By Associated Press - SI
June 18, 2019

HALLE, Germany — Roger Federer began his bid for a record-extending 10th Halle Open title with a 7-6 (1), 6-3 win over Australia's John Millman on Tuesday, with defending champion Borna Coric also advancing.

Federer, who lost to Coric in last year's final, hit nine aces and saved the only break point he faced to beat Millman in 1 hour, 17 minutes.

Federer next faces Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who defeated French compatriot Benoit Paire 6-4, 7-5 at the grass-court tournament.

Federer already has the best grass-court record in the Open era with 18 titles, and the 37-year-old can set a personal record with his 10th at a single event in Halle.

Federer and Tsonga played only once before on grass, with the French player coming from two sets down to win at Wimbledon in 2011.

The fourth-seeded Coric defeated Spain's Jaume Munar 7-6 (2), 6-3 and will next face Portuguese qualifier Joao Sousa in the second round.

Italy's Matteo Berrettini, who won the Stuttgart Open on Sunday, defeated Nikoloz Basilashvili 6-4, 6-4 for a second-round meeting with compatriot Andreas Seppi.

Seppi beat Mats Moraing 6-4 (7), 6-4.

Other winners Tuesday included Roberto Bautista Agut, David Goffin, Richard Gasquet, Sergiy Stakhovsky and Jan-Lennard Struff.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by fedled Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:15 pm

Cromar wrote:Douglas Perry rebutal to Sarah Kaufman...

Roger Federer’s artistry ‘transcends tennis,’ but dance critic’s argument won’t end GOAT debate

It's been a long time since Douglas Perry wrote about tennis - these days he seems to be limited to things happening in Oregon that don't interest me at all.  But he used to follow Roger (in particular) and tennis (in general) and wrote a very good piece about him in 2011 that I downloaded, put on the old forum and kept the link.  Here it is ...

Roger Federer and the limits of imagination

https://blog.oregonlive.com/tennis/2011/11/roger_federer_and_the_limits_o.html
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 am

Spotlight on Federer’s career at Wimbledon

Wimbledon has a nice spread about Roger's career at Wimbledon. Below is the start of the article, and a link to read the complete review on the Wimbledon website.

TUE 09 JUL 2019

Federer 99 and counting
______

Eight-time champion Federer is one match away from a century of Wimbledon victories

By Reem Abulleil

Roger Federer stands on the threshold of yet another record to add to his multiple 'firsts'.
Beating Kei Nishikori in the quarter-final on Wednesday - his 21st consecutive Wimbledon appearance - would mean he becomes the first man to win 100 matches in a single Grand Slam.

Wimbledon.com turns the spotlight on Federer’s career at Wimbledon – the site of his maiden Grand Slam triumph.

Roger Federer - My Photobooth

Read more about Roger's career at Wimbledon: Spotlight on Federer’s career at Wimbledon  
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Go Fight Go Fight Go Fight Go Fight 100th (Large)

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 pm

fedled wrote:
Cromar wrote:Douglas Perry rebutal to Sarah Kaufman...

It's been a long time since Douglas Perry wrote about tennis - these days he seems to be limited to things happening in Oregon that don't interest me at all.  But he used to follow Roger (in particular) and tennis (in general) and wrote a very good piece about him in 2011 that I downloaded, put on the old forum and kept the link.  Here it is ...

Roger Federer and the limits of imagination

https://blog.oregonlive.com/tennis/2011/11/roger_federer_and_the_limits_o.html

Don't agree with this assessment. As a matter of fact, I consider that it is the 'genius' part of his game and tennis ability that has increased.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum