Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules

+5
fedled
striker
Steerpike60
Rosaline
Cromar
9 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules Empty 2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules

Post by Cromar Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 pm

The ATP Cup and Doha, the first tournaments of 2020, have just completed and already we have some noticeable moves in the rankings, as some players took full advantage of the points allocated at the ATP Cup, which differed based on the opponent's ranking, a first for an ATP event.

Especially notable is Medvedev moving past Thiem to No 4, thus securing the all-important #4 seed at the AO.  

Below is a detailed report (see separate post) outlining the latest changes in the rankings, courtesy of Sephanie Myles.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules Empty Re: 2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules

Post by Cromar Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 pm

ATP Rankings Report – Jan. 13, 2020

By Stephanie Myles | tennis.life  
January 13, 2020

The ATP Cup was very good to a few players, who made hay.

As examples, Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz earned 190 points with round-robin victories over Dominic Thiem, Diego Schwartzman and Borna Coric. Denis Shapovalov earned 150 points with wins over Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev.

And Novak Djokovic earned … 665 points by leading Serbia to the ATP Cup trophy. Given there are no 500-level events leading up to the Australian Open, that’s called maximizing his effort. Djokovic was 930 points behind Rafael Nadal in the rankings a week ago, after the 90 points from his semifinal effort in Doha to start the 2019 season fell off. Now, that gap is down to 515 points; Nadal earned 400 points in the ATP Cup.

ON THE UPSWING

Daniil Medvedev: No. 5 ===> No. 4
(Medvedev snags a top-four seed in Melbourne with a great ATP Cup, while No. 4 Thiem had a no-so-great one).

Roberto Bautista Agut: No. 10 ===> No. 9
(The Spanish No. 2 at the ATP Cup had a brilliant tournament – he went 6-0 and only once (in the final) even came close to dropping a set. But because he was in a relatively weak pool, playing lower-ranked players until the semifinals, it wasn’t worth all that much in the big picture – just 305 ranking points. Still, his ranking moves up a spot and ties his career high).
► ATP Cup Results

Denis Shapovalov: No. 14 ===> No. 13
(Victories over Tsitsipas and Zverev propel Shapovalov to a career-high ranking.

Andrey Rublev : No. 23 ===> No. 18
(Rublev wisely took a a pass on the ATP Cup, where as the No. 3 singles player he would have been a well-paid cheerleader. Instead, he played Doha and moves to a career-best ranking with his third career title.

► More UPSWING

Nick Kyrgios: No. 29 ===> No. 26
(Kyrgios’s ATP Cup effort helps him in singles, but also helped in doubles as he moved up 20 spots).

Dusan Lajovic: No. 34 ===> No. 27
(The No. 2 Serb might be the biggest winner from the ATP Cup. In a tough pool, he helped Serbia by being a ock at the No. 2 spot. And he upped his ranking to ensure he would be seeded at the Australian Open).

Daniel Evans: No. 42 ===> No. 33
(Evans was impressive at the No. 1 spot, inherited when Andy Murray couldn’t go. He went 3-1, earned 200 ranking points (and $236,850 in prize money), and moved his ranking to not only a career high, but a seeded spot at a Slam for the first time).

Hubert Hurkacz: No. 37 ===> No. 34
(The 22-year-old form Poland also put himself into a seeded spot in Melbourne with his 3-0 record at ATP Cup. A year ago, coming into the Australian, he was ranked No. 88).

Casper Ruud: No. 53 ===> No. 46
(The 21-year-old from Norway and his gang at the ATP Cup certainly looked like they enjoyed their stay; Ruud went 2-1, earned 130 points, and is making his top-50 debut in the rankings with a career high).

Miomir Kecmanovic (SRB): No. 62 ===> No. 53
(The 20-year-old Serb moves up with a semifinal effort in Doha. A year ago, he was at No. 131 to start the season).

Corentin Moutet: No. 81 ===> No. 70
(The 20-year-old French lefty is at a career-best ranking after rolling from the qualifying to the final in Doha. It’s actually surprising that it wasn’t worth more spot).

Philipp Kohlschreiber: No. 79 ===> No. 74
(The 36-year-old former No. 16 wins the Canberra Challenger, which was relocated to Bendigo because of the effect of the bush fires on the air there).

Yuichi Sugita: No. 100 ===> No. 89

Lloyd Harris: No. 99 ===> No. 91

Kevin Anderson: No. 147 ===> No. 121 (Anderson’s return to action at the ATP Cup was impressive, given how long he was out. Despite that shirt).

Steve Darcis: No. 200 ===> No. 176
(The … retired? Belgian captained the team at the ATP Cup, and played some good tennis, too).

Ulises Blanch: No. 419 ===> No. 265
(That’s a huge jump for the 21-year-old American, who won the 80 Challenger in Ann Arbor, Michigan last week.

ON THE DOWNSWING

Kei Nishikori:: No. 13 ===> No. 16
(Not ready to start again after an elbow procedure, Nishikori is skipping the entire Australian swing. He won Brisbane a year ago. And he’ll also drop 360 points from a quarterfinal effort at the Australian Open last year. That will drop him out of the top 20).

Alex de Minaur: No. 18 ===> No. 21
(De Minaur played well in the ATP Cup. But he only earned 140 points; that wasn’t nearly enough to offset the 45 he earned in Brisbane a year ago, and the 250 he got for winning Sydney).

Milos Raonic: No. 32 ===> No. 35
(It’s hard to know if Raonic will be in form, as he has played so little. But he might be a dangerous, unseeded floater in Melbourne unless, say, someone like Matteo Berrettini pulls out and he can squeeze into the top 32).
► More DOWNSWING

Yasutaka Uchiyama: No. 81 ===> No. 92
(The 27-year-old didn’t play ATP Cup, where he would have been the No. 2. And his points from a run through the qualifying and on to the quarters in Brisbane drop off).

Cameron Norrie: No. 52 ===> No. 62
(The 24-year-old South African-born Brit went 2-2 at the ATP Cup, losing to the nearly-retired Belgian, Steve Darcis and beating two players ranked No. 423 and No. 818. A year ago, he got to the Auckland finals. He lost in the first round of Auckland to qualifier Thiago Monteiro).

Andreas Seppi: No. 71 ===> No. 84

Leonardo Mayer: No. 88 ===> No. 100

Tennys Sandgren: No. 68 ===> No. 101
(The American, a quarterfinalist at the Australian Open two years ago, lost in the first round of Doha to eventual finalist Moutet. He won his first and so far only career title in Auckland a year ago, and those points drop off).

Marcel Granollers: No. 109 ===> No. 129
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Looking at the rankings just post AO, of course ND is back to No.1, and furthermore if you look at the Race to London which is just this year's points, he has a huge number of points. Clearly the ATP have another string to their apparent determination (?) to destroy the DC as ND's extra stack of points over the AO win must come from helping to win ATP Cup for Serbia. I always feel that points system is somewhat unrfair especially in majors where the winner has massively more points than the runner-up, and the number of points for losing semifinalists is pretty abysmal. It does seem to me that wining a major is more than just a good number o f points, it really does make difficulties for any other player to get near No.1.. However, I haven't studied this in detail and perhaps I'm wrong. 

The Race to London is IMO far more interesting than the normal rankings. I'm delighted that my young favourite Andrey Rublev is at No. FIVE! But that's what comes of winning 2 tournaments already this year as well ad doing well at AO until facing Daniil.

Something weird. The BBC teletext used to be kept up to date for the ATP tennis rankings but they didn't change the rankings when Rafa returned to No.1 last autumn. The chart showed ND at No.1 all the way through Christmas and January and it's only today that it's right that ND is No.1 again. We have heard that BBC are likely going to close down teletext but I am really surprised they neglected that listing. I haven't checked it properly today but it probably still shows the rankings for earlier lat autumn for the slightly lower players!

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:24 pm

To me, the Race To London doesn't mean anything until post-USO.  Obviously whoever wins the AO is going lead the Race for the first few months of the year.  And since Djoker won the AO and won all his singles matches at the ATP Cup, he is going to have a huge lead for a while.

And yes, there is a big difference between a win and the QF/SF/F points at a major.  Now because Djoker was defending the AO, he didn't gain any points, but Nadal lost a lot by only making the QF whereas he was the finalist last year.  That's how Djoker passed him.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:18 pm

Hope Roger does well. Theim is only 85 points behind Roger. Roger doesn't worry like the fans do. Smile
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:53 pm

Thiem would have surpassed Roger if he had won the AO.... which I would have been completely fine with!!!  Damn.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:02 pm

To Steerpike, my point about the Race to London is simply to show what points the players have amassed so far in this calendar year.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:30 pm

Yeah, I know.  Which is why I don't really pay attention to it until post-USO.  Whoever wins the AO is always the Race leader initially.  The ATP site used to show that ranking system prominently all year, but it confused too many people since it can sometimes really deviate from the regular rankings, especially early in the year.  But I get what you were saying.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:38 pm

If Stuart Fraser is correct, this is a bit of positive news amidst today's turmoil. I haven't verified the information yet. As a matter of fact, I was just about ready to post my Ranking chart for 2020. I had been preparing it for a quite a while, but now... well, I'll have to go back and make some adjustments!  Sad

PS: The Times UK article requires a subscription to access it (which I don't have.) Wink Gif
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Sad to see this, but at the same time it's a relief to know why Roger's results have been a bit mystifying at times in most recent months - ie variable. And why he struggled in his last 2 AO matches before the one with ND. Get fit again soon, dear Roger!!

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by fedled Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 pm

By Stuart Fraser, Tennis Correspondent, The Times  
Thursday 20 February 2020, 12.00pm

Roger Federer ruled out of French Open after knee surgery

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules 2020_t10

Roger Federer will not be seen again on a match court before the summer grass-court season. The 20-times grand-slam champion announced that he has undergone knee surgery and will sit out a series of tournaments over the next three and a half months.

Federer, 38, was due to return next week at the Dubai Championships to defend his title until his sudden revelation today. 

He underwent a successful arthroscopic procedure in Switzerland yesterday after suffering pain in his right knee over the past few weeks.  Several upcoming events have now been removed from Federer’s schedule, including the French Open, which starts in May. His priority now is to be in peak shape by late June for Wimbledon, where his best chance lies of adding to his collection of major trophies.

“My right knee has been bothering me for a little while,” a Federer statement read. “I hoped it would go away, but after an examination, and discussion with my team, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery in Switzerland yesterday.  After the procedure, the doctors confirmed that it was the right thing to have done and are very confident of a full recovery. As a result, I unfortunately have to miss Dubai, Indian Wells, Bogota, Miami and the French Open.”

Federer’s right-knee issues come four years after he had surgery on his left knee. In early 2016, he bizarrely suffered a torn meniscus while running a bath for his twin daughters and he later decided to call a premature end to the season by taking a break from the tour for further rehabilitation in the last five months of the year.  That long period of rest served Federer well as he made a stunning return by winning the 2017 Australian Open, and he will be hoping for a similar outcome this time.

He will likely play grass-court tournaments in Stuttgart and Halle in preparation for another attempt at a ninth Wimbledon title, to which he came so close last year after failing to convert two championship points in a thrilling final against Novak Djokovic.

Federer’s ageing body was given a thorough workout at the start of this year. The Australian Open was a gruelling tournament for him, playing two long five-set matches before losing to Djokovic in the semi-finals.  There was, however, no particular outward sign then of any issues with his knee, more so a groin injury, for which he had a scan midway through the fortnight.

While Federer will be disappointed to miss the prestigious “Sunshine Double” of back-to-back Masters tournaments on hard courts in Indian Wells and Miami next month — as well as a scheduled exhibition appearance in Bogota in between — the European clay-court swing will be no great miss for him.  Last year was the first time he had played on the surface since 2016, and the physical demands of the slow courts are a big ask for someone of his age.

It does, though, give Nadal, a 12-times French Open champion, even more of a chance at Roland Garros to equal Federer’s record for the most men’s grand-slam singles titles. Federer has already conceded that Nadal, on 19, and Djokovic, on 17, are both likely to pass his total at some point anyway.

Federer, presently the world No 3, is set to fall to about No 7 or No 8 by the time he returns in June, as 3,180 of his 7,130 ranking points will now drop off because of his inability to defend them. But he still has a good chance of claiming a Wimbledon seeding inside the top-four because of the All England Club’s use of a special formula that gives extra weighting to a player’s results on grass over the past two years.

In addition to Wimbledon, there is another significant target for Federer this summer: his last chance of claiming an elusive Olympic singles gold medal in Tokyo. The event will be played on hard courts from July 25-August 2, and it should be particularly beneficial for Federer — who turns 39 on August 8 — that there are no best-of-five-set matches.
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules Empty 2020 Ranking Chart #1 (Mar 1)

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Here is the Ranking Chart for 2020, finally!  Wink Gif I had been nursing it for a while and just as I was ready to publish it, Roger sprung some surprising news on us!... so it was back to the drawing board. Then I decided to wait for the completion last week tournaments, so I could include the latest results.

So, this is the first chart of the year and it's quite large, as it includes all tournaments of the 2020 ATP Tour calendar. In future issues, I'll trim it down, removing tournaments that do not impact the rankings.

2020 ATP Tour Calendar
The ATP calendar has been consistent over the last couple of years, but this year is quite a different story, mainly due to the addition of the ATP Cup at the start of the season and the Tokyo Olympics this Summer, as well as a revamped Davis Cup calendar. Several tournaments have been moved down by a week at the beginning of the year, including the AO and the upcoming IW and Miami, plus all tournaments following the Olympics will start a week later than usual, effectively extending the season by one week.

ATP 250 tournaments  
Several changes were implemented in the smaller tournament category: At the start of the year, Brisbane and Sydney were removed, and Adelaide added. Then Sao Paulo was replaced by Santiago. This summer, Mallorca will make its appearance on the Tour, replacing Antalya. Also, Sofia has been moved from February to September, and will now be played in the same week as Chengdu and Zhuhai.

The Chart
It's essentially the same chart as last year, with a small modification. Due to the changes in the ATP schedule, last year points for some tournaments will drop earlier than normal (like a week before the tournament). Thus, to make it easier to track the changes in the rankings, the light blue 'DROP' column, to the right of the 'Ranking Points', is now showing when the points are being actually dropped.

The Rankings
So far this year, the top 20 players have been fairly consistant overall and have more or less maintained their position in the hierarchy, with two notable exceptions: Rublev and Garin, each having won two ATP titles already this year. Rublev started the year as N° 23, and his now ranked N° 14 (+ 9), while Garin jumped a whooping 15 spots since Jan. 1st, going from N° 33 to his current N° 18 position.  (See graph below)

There has been, however, some other spectacular moves in the lower rankings, like Taylor Fritz now N° 24 (+11), thanks to his Final in Acapulco last week, and Daniel Evans moved to N° 28 (+9) after reaching the SF in Dubai. And not so spectacular, this time, is Nick Kyrgios, who took a dive from N° 23 to N° 39 Oh My! (-16 !) as he was unable to defend his title in Acapulco (lost in the first round) and thus dropped 500 points (more than a quarter of his total points).  

AND THEN THERE IS ROGER... Smile

Last, but definitively not least!...  Roger moved down to N° 4 this Monday, after dropping his 500 points from Dubai last year. And he will move further down after IW and Miami, as he was to defend 1600 points for these two tournaments, and is obviously unable to do so!  Sad  But the general consensus is that Roger should still be ranked N° 7 or 8 upon his return for the grass season, which is not so bad.
Hopefully, he will be healthy and eager then Go Fight, as he does have a title to defend in Halle (500 points) and a Final (1200 points) at Wimbledon!... Wishing Roger a happy return!  Thumbs up     

Indian Wells Seeding: These rankings will determine the seeding for IW, as there are no tournaments being played this week, except for the Davis Cup (with no point attribution). The draw for IW will take place on Tuesday Mar 10, 2020.

2020 ATP Ranking Chart #1 (Mar 1)

* Roger N° 4 *

1/3: 2020 Ranking Chart - Players 1-5 (Mar 1)

2/3: 2020 Ranking Chart #1 - Players 6-10

3/3: 2020 Ranking Chart #1 - Players 11-15

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Many thanks for all this. I love stats and will enjoy going through it later!

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks Cromar.  Great work as always.  

Just a quick correction.  Kyrgios was unable to defend Acapulco, not Dubai.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:11 pm

Embarassed Thank you, Steerpike! Made the modification.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum