Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules

+5
fedled
striker
Steerpike60
Rosaline
Cromar
9 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules - Page 2 Empty Re: 2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:11 pm

Embarassed Thank you, Steerpike! Made the modification.

Cromar

Back to top Go down

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules - Page 2 Empty Re: 2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:34 am

I really have to give it to you, what a wonderful forum you create, Cromar! I just noticed the change you made showing current topics on the upper right hand side of the page. It wasn't so detailed as to indicate names and so on, I believe. 
 It is appreciated!!

HeartoftheMatter

Cromar and Rosaline like this post

Back to top Go down

2020/2021 ATP Rankings & Rules - Page 2 Empty New ATP Rankings New Rules post Covid-19

Post by Cromar Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:01 pm

New ATP Rankings Rules post Covid-19 Tour Suspension

The ATP has come out with the new rules that will apply to the ATP Rankings when competition resumes. Rankings have been frozen since March 16, 2020, when the ATP Tour was suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic. These rules will cover a 22-month period, from March 2019 to December 2020, during which the 'Best 18' results will be counted (instead of the traditional 52 weeks).

Basically, the points earned since March last year will be carried over till 2021, and results from tournaments played in the remainder of this year will count only if they are better than last year results (players can count only one result per event in their 'Best 18').  

So, with these new rules in place and for the reminder of 2020, players can only improve upon their results since the freeze and no one will end the year with fewer points than they had in March.

Of course, this is good news for Roger. He will likely stay in the top ten, even though he will have played only one tournament this year (AO), since he announced that he will not return to competition until 2021.

Based on the current provisional schedule, the first updated ATP Rankings should be published on August 24 and used for seeding at the US Open. The March 16 rankings will be used for the first two weeks of competition.

The 'RACE to London' will not be promoted this year (for obvious reasons) and qualifications for the ATP Finals will be based on the regular ATP Rankings of Nov 9, 2020 instead.

The Internazionali BNL d’ Italia is scheduled to be played 20-27 September

:copyright: Julian Finner/Getty Images

ATP Announces Adjustments To FedEx ATP Rankings Due To COVID-19

ATP Staff  
Jul 6, 2020

Rankings will now cover a period of 22 months (March 2019 – December 2020).

The ATP has today announced how the revised FedEx ATP Rankings will be calculated once the Tour resumes. The Rankings, which reflect a player’s standing among the world’s best players and are used for tournament entry and seedings, are the lifeblood of professional tennis.

In anticipation of a return to competition in August, the Rankings, which traditionally operate on a "Best 18" results basis over 52 weeks, will now cover a period of 22 months (March 2019 – December 2020). The Rankings have been frozen since 16 March 2020, just days after the ATP Tour was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic..

The revised Rankings system aims to deliver the following key objectives:

• Provide flexibility & fairness to players across all levels in parallel with the condensed number of points available as part of the revised provisional 2020 calendar.
• Provide stability for players who cannot or prefer not to compete in 2020 due to health & safety.
• Provide a system that can adapt to further changes in the calendar if necessary.
• Reward players who perform well following the resumption of the Tour in 2020.
• Retain the principle of defending tournament points week by week in 2021, maintaining player mobility in the rankings.

BEST OF 2019 & 2020 RESULTS:
Among the key elements of the revised 22-month Ranking system are the following:

• A player’s ranking will be comprised of his "Best 18" results between March 2019 and December 2020.
• A player cannot count the same Tour-level tournament twice in his "Best 18" breakdown. For example, a player who played the Mutua Madrid Open in 2019 and plays Madrid again in 2020, will count the better of those two results.
• Tour-level tournament points added in 2020 that count in a player’s Ranking Breakdown will remain on a player’s ranking for 52 weeks, or until the event in question is played again in 2021, whichever comes first.

The temporary changes to the Rankings system have been made in consultation with the four Grand Slam tournaments and the ITF. Should the 2021 season be impacted by Covid-19, further adjustments to Rankings will be considered.

NITTO ATP FINALS QUALIFICATIONS:
The revised FedEx ATP Rankings will determine the singles qualifiers to the 2020 Nitto ATP Finals. As per normal, points earned at the season finale (as an additional 19th event) in 2019 will not count towards a player’s qualification for the 2020 event, ensuring a level playing field for 2020 qualification.

In doubles, the 2020 FedEx ATP Doubles Team Rankings will continue to be used to determine the eight teams that make it to London.

A full FAQ on the revised FedEx ATP Rankings, including details related to the ATP Challenger Tour,
is available here: ATP Rankings COVID-19 Adjustments FAQ.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:13 am

This is a summary of the ATP Press release about the Nitto ATP Finals to be held in London Nov. 15-22, 2020.

Nitto ATP Finals Highlights Late-Season ATP Tour Calendar

Aug 14, 2020
ATP Press Release Summary

Djokovic, Nadal and Thiem are the first players to qualify

PLAYER QUALIFICATIONS
While the finale will take on a new look this year, three familiar faces are already assured of their places at the season finale, with Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Dominic Thiem today announced as the first players to qualify. The players are guaranteed to be in the Top 8 of the FedEx ATP Rankings which, due to the impact of COVID-19, incorporate results since March 2019.

Australian Open doubles champions Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury are the first doubles team to qualify. The US-British duo made its debut in London last year.

TICKETING POLICY
In line with existing UK Government guidance, the ATP currently plans to hold the 2020 Nitto ATP Finals behind closed doors due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Fans who have already purchased tickets or hospitality to the event through the tournament’s official partners will receive full refunds. AXS, the Official Ticketing Partner of the Nitto ATP Finals, and MATCH Hospitality, the Official Corporate Hospitality Partner, will be in touch with all customers directly.

However, ATP remains hopeful that later this year fans will be allowed to return into stadia in a socially distanced manner, following a series of pilot events being undertaken in the UK. If this is confirmed ahead of the Nitto ATP Finals, the intention is to reopen ticket sales for the tournament, in which case more details will be announced in due course.

You can view the full ATP press release here

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Does anyone know how the rankings will effect Roger? Thank you!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Roger's ranking. So far as I know, it will be the same as when any player is off the Tour for a while. Others will gain points from the upcoming official ATP tourneys and USO, RG and WTF. Roger's ranking will drop as it did last time. But since others haven't been able to gain points over the summer, he may not drop as far as he did last time if he is fit to play AO 2021 as he's anticipating. There won't be as many tourneys as usual anyway for the rest of this year. And any tourney not to be played this year that he gained points in last year, such as Basel, he won't lose any point nor can anyone else gain any for it. 

At least he will still be seeded and let's hope in the top 16.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:09 pm

"Players who perform well in 2020 will be rewarded.." and what does that mean? Players are usually rewarded who perform well. 
 Is this meant to reflect some bonus points?

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Weird comment!! I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:13 pm

I had read somewhere that if you are defending no new points will be added but cant remember where. If Rafa wins RG it will not be no 20 cause hes already won. Is that correct or was I dreaming? Thanks!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Rosaline wrote:Roger's ranking. So far as I know, it will be the same as when any player is off the Tour for a while. Others will gain points from the upcoming official ATP tourneys and USO, RG and WTF. Roger's ranking will drop as it did last time. But since others haven't been able to gain points over the summer, he may not drop as far as he did last time if he is fit to play AO 2021 as he's anticipating. There won't be as many tourneys as usual anyway for the rest of this year. And any tourney not to be played this year that he gained points in last year, such as Basel, he won't lose any point nor can anyone else gain any for it. 

At least he will still be seeded and let's hope in the top 16.

Roger's ranking [#4] shouldn't drop as much as it did the last time he was off, since post-Covid19 suspension, players are able to keep the points they earned in 2019, whether or not they play in 2020.

So, Roger will retain the points he has now (6630) until the end of the year, but he may slip down the rankings a bit if players behind him have better results this year that they did in 2019, thus improving their ranking to the extend that they may move ahead of Roger. So far, only Medvedev [#5] could pass in front of Roger, provided he wins the US Open.

I will publish an updated Ranking Chart after the US Open, so you'll be able to see where everyone stands and the possible moves going forward.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:09 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:"Players who perform well in 2020 will be rewarded.." and what does that mean? Players are usually rewarded who perform well. 
 Is this meant to reflect some bonus points?

I believe this statement has to be viewed in the context of the new ranking rules introduced post Covid-19 suspension whereby all players will keep their 2019 points, whether they play or not this year. But players who do play in 2020 will be able to add to those points if they have better results than last year.  

They probably wanted to emphasize that, despite the new rules, there was still a potential benefit to play!... and not just stay home. Smile
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:13 pm

striker wrote:I had read somewhere that if you are defending no new points will be added but cant remember where. If Rafa wins RG it will not be no 20 cause hes already won. Is that correct or was I dreaming? Thanks!

The rankings rules post Covid-19 suspension have been amended, so that players will keep the points they earned in 2019, whether they play or not this year.

But if a player does play a tournament this year (post suspension), he will be able to count his 2020 result, instead of last year's, if it's better, and thus add points to his ranking (like in normal time).

So, in the case of Rafa, you are right, he would not gain any points even if he were to win RG in 2020, as his result would be the same as last year. And if he didn't win RG (Wink Gif), he wouldn't lose any points either, as he would keep his 2000 points from 2019.

But if Thiem, for example, was to win the US Open, he would gain 1990 points, as he is defending only 10 points from last year.
Cromar
Cromar

slaie_thuin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:05 pm

^^^
Forgive but I guess Im still wondering!! LOL IF Rafa does win RG He will still get the trophy & no20    ..Im not worrying about points. SORRY! Embarassed Embarassed
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:47 am

Yes, striker, it is the number of GS titles that counts, to me, anyway. I suspect to 
Roger also. And things can happen, such as this USO event with the disqualification. Amazingly, or maybe not, the ND fan base and support group seems to consider that it happened because ND is Serbian. Also, they drag up a somewhat different scenario re Roger at a AO match, where he hit a ballboy, but not in anger, but in a joking "you have to be awake" ball from behind his back. Everyone laughed it off, but now the supposed ballboy wrote that he should apologize. Wonder how that came about?

Also, ND fans and support claim that if it had happened to Roger, he would not have been disqualified. I disagree. ND was hitting some 3 balls with rising anger and frustration, and it was that intent that was punished, and not that he did not mean any injury at all. It is the outcome, based on angry hitting out at the ball. Of course, it is quite amazing, his fan base.  

A little similarity with Trump followers? Although I should not say anything since I am quick to "stand up for Roger'. Still, the dimensions here are different. The line judge could have been more seriously injured, and even killed.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:53 am

striker wrote:^^^
Forgive but I guess I'm still wondering!! LOL If Rafa does win RG, he will still get the trophy No 20... Im not worrying about points. SORRY! Embarassed Embarassed

Laughing Sorry to disappoint, striker, but the ATP tournaments being played now are official tournaments, even if played behind close doors, and, except for the modified ranking rules explained above, they are counted as 'normal' tournaments would be, in all aspects, including stats and trophies.

So, yes, Rafa will probably get his GS No 20 at RG, but I am still keeping faith that he might just be a bit rusty and that someone might, just might, take him out!! Giggle  Go Stan!! Go Fight
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Cromar wrote:
striker wrote:^^^
Forgive but I guess I'm still wondering!! LOL If Rafa does win RG, he will still get the trophy No 20... Im not worrying about points. SORRY! Embarassed Embarassed

Laughing Sorry to disappoint, striker, but the ATP tournaments being played now are official tournaments, even if played behind close doors, and, except for the modified ranking rules explained above, they are counted as 'normal' tournaments would be, in all aspects, including stats and trophies.

So, yes, Rafa will probably get his GS No 20 at RG, but I am still keeping faith that he might just be a bit rusty and that someone might, just might, take him out!! Giggle  Go Stan!! Go Fight

Thank you, Cromar! Not the news I wanted!! What will be, will be!!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum