Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact

+16
oldlady
Márcia
UES
striker
TennisBhakt
Cheadlebeagle
Rufus1
norinchi
mariah1
Sherl
H.Z.
Marly 103-20
Rosaline
Steerpike60
HeartoftheMatter
ph∞be
20 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Empty Re: 2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 pm

In some ways, although one would like to see a different cause for the "homing" , it is good to have families not have to run in all directions and to experience instead being together at ease. Of course, not all families will benefit from this. But for those that can, wonderful!
 Cromar, have heard from oldlady and WCR? Oldlady might be on another language thread, come to think of it. Seeing some replays that haven't been around for a while makes me feel quite excited, as though it is happening now.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Empty Re: 2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact

Post by oldlady Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 am

HeartoftheMatter wrote:
 Cromar, have heard from oldlady and WCR? Oldlady might be on another language thread, come to think of it. Seeing some replays that haven't been around for a while makes me feel quite excited, as though it is happening now.
^^^
Hello dear HOM.
I'm here and well here... though discretely...

I'm very touched and moved that you asked about me. 

I'm fine. Thank you very much.  Just don't have much to say at this moment.
Thanks and best regards to all... Good luck Plus sign Love it
oldlady
oldlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Mon May 25, 2020 12:18 pm

Delighted to hear from you, Oldlady, and from Marcia. Still so many past contacts we've lost but this Forum is a Godsend.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 pm

We area always doing 'discreetly" oldlady, right? And Smile Marcia, you come to mind when I see the issues down south. Glad you are safe, and do stay that way. And everyone else, including oldlady
 I am watching RG 2011 semi, Fed and Djoke. I always loved this match. So authoritative from Roger, such wonderful play. How please I was and still am that he won.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Mon May 25, 2020 9:37 pm

Yes, that semi vs ND is one of my favourites.too and the classic raised finger at the end...  I must rewatch..

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri May 29, 2020 7:40 pm

The return of 'some' tennis action...  Smile   Happy

While the ATP and WTA Tours are suspended until the end of July, many new tournaments are arising as players want to play competitive tennis.
Resulting mostly from players' initiatives, several local closed-doors competitions and exhibition events are being planned over the next couple of months, with the participation of many top professional players. In most case, prize money earned at these tournaments will be donated to charity.

Local government rules for restricted or no spectators, and other health requirements, will apply. The ATP and WTA's usual rules around exhibition events are on hold during the tour suspension.

Here is a summary of some of the most notable up-coming events (but not necessarily an exhaustive list of all tournaments being planned):

BATTLE OF THE BRITS - Roehampton, London | June 23-28, 2020

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Murray-to-return-at-battle-of-the-brits-tourney-in-june_large

(Reuters) - Andy Murray will make his return to tennis at a behind-closed-doors tournament organized by his brother Jamie from June 23-28 in London, the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) said on Friday.

Murray, 33, has not competed since the Davis Cup Finals in November due to complications with his hip. He was targeting a return to the tour at the Miami Open in March before the season was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Apart from the Murray brothers, the LTA announced that fellow Britons Dan Evans and Kyle Edmund would also take part in the exhibition tournament, with matches to be streamed on Amazon Prime.

ADRIA TOUR - Balkan Peninsula | June 13 - July 5, 2020

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Dominik-tim-novak-djokovic

Regional exhibition tennis tournament Adria Tour will be held from June 13 – July 5, 2020 at several locations, with the main creator of the event being the world no.1 – Novak Djokovic.

Novak Djokovic has provided a line-up of the players who will be competing in his recently announced Adria Tour, which begins next month and is played across four Balkan nations.

The two-day events will start on in Belgrade, Serbia, at Djokovic's academy, and then move to Croatia, Montenegro and Bosnia.

In addition to No. 1-ranked Djokovic, No. 3 Dominic Thiem, No. 7 Alexander Zverev and No. 19 Grigor Dimitrov will be the top players competing. The 'three big names' will all play in the opening leg in Belgrade. Zverev might play in Croatia too, while Dimitrov could appear in Croatia and in Montenegro.

Along with Djokovic, No. 184 Viktor Troicki, No. 107 Damir Dzumhur, and "other major European players" will play a round-robin competition, with two groups of four players each during the first three stops. Djokovic and Dzumhur, who is from Sarajevo, Bosnia, are scheduled for an exhibition there to finish the tour.

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 EYpFA2BXkAA9CRD?format=jpg&name=small

Eastern European championships - Belgrade | Starting June 15, 2020

Djokovic isn't the only player holding events while the tour is suspended. His fellow Serb, the recently-retired Janko Tipsarevic, is organizing an "Eastern European championships" in Belgrade starting June 15, which also involves some of the same players, including Troicki and Dzumhur, along with top Croats Borna Coric and Marin Cilic, along with other men's and women's players from Eastern Europe.

On his Instagram, Tipsarevic wrote:

“After a lot of challenges, hard work obstacles and commitment from everyone who will be involved, we are finally ready to announce the Eastern European Championship. We will be answering all of your questions in the upcoming weeks.”

EQUILITE TOURNAMENT - Villena (Alicante) | Late June to early July, 2020

(Translated from Spanish)

Villena (Alicante), 28 May 2020

The Equilite tennis school run by Juan Carlos Ferrero in Villena will host, between June and the first week of July, the first professional tournament in Spain after the covid-19 crisis, with the participation of tennis players Alex de Minaur , Pablo Carreño and Joao Sousa, among other participants.

As reported by the Equilite school, all participants will donate their profits to charities. The organization of the tournament, which will serve to celebrate the twenty-fifth anniversary of the school, was delighted for being able to host the first tournament after the pandemic.

In addition, and as an opener for the tournament, a pre-championship exhibition match will be held with the participation of Roberto Bautista and Juan Carlos Ferrero himself, who stressed the importance that the tennis players' prize money "will be entirely donated to charities and each player will decide to which foundation they want to donate the amount they win."

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Minaur

Hispano-Australian settled in Alicante Alex de Miñaur will participate in the charity tournament in Equelite Villena.

OTHER EVENTS

• Croatia: Starting June 4, Donna Vekic has organized an event for her national federation in Osijek, Croatia, where she is an ambassador for the region. The three-day event will include 20 top Croatian men's and women's players, including Vekic, Ana Konjuh, Cilic and Coric.

"I am very excited that we will all play competitive tennis together again, but also start improving our games for, I hope, the WTA and ATP tours starting soon," she said. Proceeds will be donated to charitable efforts in the region.

• Germany: A seven-week German tour organized by the German tennis federation will also begin next week, featuring 32 male and 24 female players, including Jan-Lennard Struff and Laura Siegemund.

• Prague: This week, two national events are underway. Several Czech players are contesting eight-player exhibitions in Prague, organized by the Czech tennis federation.

"We are here, not to bring tennis back to the Czech Republic, but to the world," said Petra Kvitova. Kvitova and Barbora Strycova are the top female players competing, while Jiri Vesely is the top male player.

• Austria: An Austrian pro event with eight-player men's and women's fields is also being played, with Thiem, Jurgen Melzer and Tamira Paszek among those competing.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun May 31, 2020 5:44 pm

It seems that Djokovic is doing things to show how he is a leader, etc. in direct response to some other things. He did not invite Roger or Nadal, because he said he'd seen them more than usual, and they said nothing to him that indicated interest.
 Funny. Really? he didn't think they needed to be invited? 
 And how is this going to go regarding points, and rankings? And pay? 
 I know what he, and his friend, Tipsarevic are doing. This is not just tennis practice. It is Djokovic trying to establish himself as the greatst and a leader, and gain more fans.
 It is unfortunate, despite his and parents' complaints about Roger, that they do not appeal to people Somehow it all seems self-serving, and they appear to blame Roger for the fact that Novak does not get the same love as Federer does. Their idea is that the winner or the #1 player will and should automatically get that love. That is not how it goes. They still don't understand the sport and its international character.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Sun May 31, 2020 8:48 pm

I may be wrong but seeing these are tending to be  localised events, I would think Rafa would onlyh play on Spanish territory for the time being, whilst for Roger it's be Switzerland, Germany, Austria or possibly France, depending on the situation re the virus precautions etc.I have wondered how some players are travelling to the events they are listed for so it me be they've been locked down a long way from the country they play for. 

It makes sense that the Balkan nations, if undoing lockdown is going much the same way for all and they are mostly small countries, play tournaments amongst each other, 

It may well be ND says that about Roger and Rafa for show. "Look, I tried but they aren't interested".Did he actually ask them? Seems not but him saying, they wouldn't be interested in our little countries... yet Switzerland is also a little country. 

I don't see how any of the competitions can count towards ranking points. Some players will be totally unable to go to any of the tourneys or there's not the capacity to ask very many. 

Re Switzerland, if tennis is allowed again there now on eg closed courts, presumably the various French players who live in Switzerland - Gasquet, Simon, Tsonga, and some others - would be able to play in a closed Swiss tourney with Roger. Roger himself might not want to organise as he has other tings to keep him busy - others could do it. Stan has it seems been locked down alone all the time and no sign yet of him meeting anyone else although has finally been off his premises for a run or two - he tweets daily. So Roger probably couldn't travel to the Balkans anyway. Nor Rafa where they are only slowly unlocking. Are any of the  countries accepting flights yet? Greece will soon. 

Daniil I think is in France. Nico of course. The Monaguesqe group. Perhaps Maria would play? How will ND get from Monaco to the Balkans? 

I do follow a lot of this kind of thing out of interest - the travel and so on. But a number of players don't live in their nationality country... Begu is playing in one of the tourneys listed above - she's Romanian. 

I don't have any problem with ND organising tourneys! But he doesn't need to drop hints about Roger and Rafa, that's just silly. As for his parents, they are foolish and chip on shoulder and make it far worse for ND than it need be. 

That said, if you know anything about the highly complicated politics of the "Yugoslavia" area - both before and after that Communist conglomeration of nations and nationalities, you will realise part at least of why ND and his parents react as they do. Remember too that the parents - so I read - come from the mountainous east of what is now Montenegro. The history there is also complicated. I don't think the parents can change - they are it seems totally set in their view of Roger and that ND should be whatever. I hope that ND isn't teaching the same grumpy attitudes to his children.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun May 31, 2020 10:15 pm

Saw something on a French thread here about July, and Berlin? and Roger? I couldn't do the French translation:maybe I misunderstood the terms. I felt as though I were eavesdropping to, which was not my intent, but I got a notice about a new post.
 I do know something about the former Yugoslavia, and also that there were people--as I learned in childhood-- who thought that the thrown together various ethnic groups would not last once Tito was gone. At any rate, wasn't Serbia an agressor, and some terrible things happened? Others too might not have acted well, but the Serbs resent that they were bombed. Then they resented being called out on it, first for crimes against humanity, which they managed to get changed to war crimes. This really is where the resentment comes from. That whole area, Central and Eastern Europe, has seen an awful lot of wars, invasions and bloodsheds but some people want a "greater" country. Forgive and forget, I feel at times, because there is no country in the world or a large independent group of people who have not done something very wrong, at some time or other.
 So I wonder if Roger is playing somewhere: maybe an exho? It would be good.
 As for the tournament in the Balkans, the polite thing to do is to ask the players, in this case Nadal and Roger, if they are interested in playing and not pretend that they are the ones who should indicate that. That is taking everybody for a fool.
 Overall, I do think it is true to an extent that ND wants to push him to the forefront. He had tried to do that since he began on the tour, more or less, or after a little while. It's not that there shouldn't be one, but the others things, such as his attitude. Then, Janko Tipsarevic is to help with organizing the Balkan tournaments.  Tipsarevic said that when RF is not there Novak will naturally be the favorite and get the love he craves. So that is the outlook from that group. They don't see anything that they might have done to have elicited a less than always enthusiastic and fond response.
  I hope to see Roger on the court again. In my view, despite what some think, it would not be good for him to stay away from tennis. Go, Roger!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:52 pm

One big issue in Yugoslavia was that the Serb group was in charge and Tito was a Serb. When Yugoslavia broke up, the Serbs were said to be angry at losing so much power and I suspect much of ND's whinge about Serbia being treated meanly because it's a "little" country is that Serb feeling of We used to be great but now we are treated is trivial and we are blamed for the Balkan war". I think I'm right they felt the West should have supported them against the Muslims. It was an 800 year old issue of Turkish or Muslim invasion all that long ago or so I heard. 

There was also an issue in Croatia as when we visited there, our host for one night told us that the Croatians felt slighted and abandoned by the West and they were very bitter as had suffered much in the war. I can't recall offhand just now exactly their allegiances in the war but our host was very upset and angry about it all for Croatian reasons - I won't go further into that here, better to ask a Croatian as I don't want to say something wrong, simply that I realised when talking to our host that there were issues of which I'd known nothing re Croatia because for us here during the war it had all seemed to be about Serbs fighting Muslims/Serbia attacking Bosnia. 

And then there's Montenegro which was still part of Serbia for quite some time. The non-~Serbs in the area the non-Serb Montenegrans wanted to make independent ... wanted that independence. But the Serbs there wanted to stay in Serbia. 

Think too of the complications of Macedonia. Macedonia wanted to call itself Macedonia. But there's an area in Greece also called Macedonia, and I suppose, though again I forget the detail offhand, it was all just Macedonia once upon a time - ie the homeland of Alexander the Great IIRC. Anyway, after a lot of wrangling, Greece retains its "Macedonia" and "Macedonia" is now officially North Macedonia. I think this had to do with joining the EU. 

Slovenia and Croatia are in the EU, Montenegro has applied since gaining its independence and uses the Euro for currency. Now Albania is "open", I think they have or will apply. There is also a Serb group in Albania. 

We could feel the enthusiasm and confidence when we were in Croatia and Montenegro and see the new projects everywhere - one of those countries in the EU, the other surely to be accepted in due course, this gives them a great lift. I am sure it's the same in Albania now, aiming to join the EU. 

Yes, terrible things did happen in the Balkan war. Revenges were taken. It's clear Novak as a child suffered as many ordinary Serbs did in Belgrade due to the bombing there. We who have been bombed (myself as a baby in London under one of the German flight paths of their bombers....) remember some of the later part of WW2 in our area of London - the sirens, burning houses, a whole strip of houses opposite us smashed to pieces and many other groups of houses destroyed around us in the many bombing raids when "they" dropped their bombs too early or whatever. We lived under one of the German France-London flight paths. My father, unable to fight due to past illnesses and foot injury, worked in the War Office nights and had to get there and home during or after bombing, sometimes walking the 10 miles when the railways failed. My father once pointed out to me a flying bomb - during the daytime. Grim. There were the defensive big guns on the old golf course just half a mile from our home up our road. Novak will remember Belgrade's defensive guns too.  My parents told me of an angry fighter pilot,  probably got  lost,  who flew up the road close to us, firing at all the houses but he didn't kill anyone - nearly all the houses were empty as people had been evacuated. Our house suffered a flying bomb but they got it under control, the windows were blown in frequently (the blinds saved us from glass all over the rooms, and once the front door was blow up the hall - I remember that very well next morning. When I started work, it was in an area of London - near Fleet Street and St Paul's Cathedral, that had been badly bombed and even then there were still bomb sites close to my office. You may know that Hitler tried his utmost to get St Paul's destroyed - he thought that if it was destroyed the British would give up fighting. So there was a great deal of bombing around where I later worked. You don't forget these things. Novak can't. It must be the same for Marin Cilic's family in Croatia. But I never felt anger against "The Germans" - they were and are our friends. It was Hitler who caused the war, just as the Balkan war wasn't caused by people like Novak's family, but by power-mad leaders. I had a German friend for a while, and one evening in the cinema, she was suddenly so terrified she hid under her seat - the cinema news for some reason I forget featured bombing. She was some years  older than me and remembered all the bombing in her home town of Heidelberg. And she told me her father, a soldier in the war, was terrified the whole time. He didn't want to fight. Most Germans and most Brits didn't. Why would we?

Unlike Novak, I was too young to feel threatened or really understand, it was just normal life to a toddler, and my parents set out to try not to make me fearful. But I can understand what Novak suffered.Like my German friend, he was at around the same age, well able to understand what was happening and the danger he was in. Anyone who thinks war is "noble" and we should go back to the Dunkirk spirit has never lived through any kind of war and knows nothing. It was not fun. It was fear and anxiety and you simply did the best you could and hoped yo'd survive and your loved ones would survive. My mother's brother (away fighting) lost his wife and two children in a bombing raid. I understand what Novak and his parents suffered under bombardment. So although I can get angry with Novak over his attitude to Roger, and his parents' odd ideas that have IMO damaged his outlook on life, I can also feel much so sympathy for him in other ways. He didn't ask for war. He was just a kid facing bombing of his home, his city.  I could like him a lot if only he'd get the sense of entitlement off his shoulders and relax and just enjoy his successes 

Yes, he needs to learn you can't demand love. Just be yourself, Novak, take it as it comes as Roger and Rafa do, be grateful to the fans, respect them even if they don't choose you to back, don't demand they love you. And it doesn't matter if Serbia is a small area. So's Switzerland!!! 

Greece, in spite of financial problems has been one of the Covid-19 "success stories" so far and is opening up soon for holidays under certain circumstances. A Challenger tourney there, eg?  

In UK we know so little about being invaded - England has been an invader all over the world for centuries - so much of it infamously. 1066 isn't the last time England was invaded but the invasions since have been small attempts so people here don't really know anything much about them unless read up the kind of history that isn't taught in our schools. It is difficult for us to understand living under endless invasions, continual new rulers, differing religions taking charge.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Empty ATP Tour Resumption

Post by Cromar Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:03 pm

ATP Tentative Plans for a Return to action...

Two articles related to the possible resumption of the ATP Tour under pandemic rules and various degree of restrictions.  

Christopher Clarey reports on a proposal by US Tennis to move the Western & Southern Open from Cincinnati to New York to be played before the US Open, to limit players movements.

ATP Players to be informed on June 10 about Resumption Plans

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 504%2Fmedia365-sport-news%2F010%2F0b0%2F23238f64eaf8f21326bd84946a%2Fatp-les-joueurs-informes-sur-la-reprise-le-10-juin%7C2673003_usopen-1024x425_ext

By Aurélie SACCHELLI -  June 03, 2020

According to Spanish newspaper Marca, the ATP summoned the players for a video conference on 10 June to inform them of the decision taken about the rest of the season.

In a week's time, the tennis players will be fixed on the resumption of the season! In any case, this is what the Spanish newspaper Marca, which reveals on Wednesday that the ATP has summoned the players next Wednesday at 4 p.m. for a video conference to discuss the decision taken regarding the resumption of the season. At a standstill since the beginning of March, the men's tennis circuit (as well as the women's circuit) is suspended until 31 July, and the ATP will therefore decide in the next few days its resumption date, and in what form. The latest rumors were that the Cincinnati Masters 1000, scheduled for mid-August, could be played in New York, before the U.S. Open, so that players would not have to leave the Big Apple, making it easier to meet quarantine requirements.

Coaches to be convened on June 18

We will soon know more, knowing that ATP President Andrea Gaudenzi has always said that he wants the second part of the season to take place almost normally, with an American tour in August-September, two Masters 1000 on clay and Roland Garros in the autumn, then the Asian tour and the European indoor tour, concluded by the London Masters. The ATP will officially communicate its choices on June 15 (unless they have leaked by then...) and will convene the coaches three days later to inform them of the conditions to be met during the resumption. This suggests that the recovery will take place. It remains to be seen where and when.

U.S. Open Could Go On, With a 2-Tournament Bubble in New York

Officials are considering a central location to salvage two of the biggest tournaments in the United States.

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Merlin_160195356_ab89ccd7-e3b8-4e7c-b5d7-069111c77106-jumbo

Arthur Ashe Stadium seats nearly 24,000 fans. If the United States Open is played this year, the seats will most likely be empty. Credit...Karsten Moran for The New York Times

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Author-christopher-clarey-thumbLargeBy Christopher Clarey - New York Times

Published June 2, 2020 - Updated June 3, 2020

In an unusual attempt to save two of the top events in American tennis during the coronavirus pandemic, the United States Tennis Association has proposed staging a doubleheader in New York by moving a tournament that leads into the United States Open at the U.S.T.A. Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

The move, under consideration by the men’s and women’s tours, could allow foreign players to remain in one place for the duration of their stay in the United States, and establish a safer bubble for competitors similar to proposals by the N.B.A. and other sporting leagues.

The proposal would move the Western & Southern Open, a combined men’s and women’s event near Cincinnati, to New York but keep its general window on the calendar, leading into the U.S. Open at the same venue. The Western & Southern Open is currently scheduled for Aug. 17 to 23 while the main draw of the U.S. Open is slated for Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.

It is far from certain that either tournament can be played this year, but the maneuver is designed to help draw the needed support of government and public health officials as they manage the outbreak, travel and the economy. It is also unclear, especially given quarantine guidelines, whether enough players would be prepared to travel to New York, one of the disease’s epicenters. Many players have gone without income as both the men’s and women’s tours have been shut down since mid-March and scores of tournaments have been postponed or canceled.

Leaders of the men’s and women’s tours received the U.S.T.A. proposal this week, according to officials at the U.S.T.A. and the men’s and women’s tours, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not yet authorized to speak publicly about the potential move.

The tours would need to formally approve the moving of the Western & Southern Open from its home in Mason, Ohio. The U.S.T.A. owns the men’s event staged there while Octagon, a sports and entertainment agency, owns the women’s event.

The tour officials said that there could still be insurmountable obstacles for the plan, including quarantine rules that could require some athletes to self-isolate after arriving in the United States and again in Europe after returning. But those requirements could be changed for athletes.

“I appreciate that everyone is going outside the box to think of solutions in these circumstances,” said Bethanie Mattek-Sands, an American once ranked No. 1 in women’s doubles, who has been on the WTA player council. “We don’t really have anything in the rule books for this situation. Putting two big tournaments in the same place is definitely on the right track because it definitely makes it a bit easier to control some things.”

If the tournaments can be held, there would most likely be no spectators on site — a major shift for the U.S. Open, a Grand Slam tournament that attracted more than 850,000 fans last year over three weeks.

With the U.S.T.A. set to make a decision later this month on its Grand Slam, here is a look at how officials are planning for an Open without fans.

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Merlin_159752613_0dad8789-fa9e-4784-b8cd-b9204aef28c2-superJumbo

Outdoor cafes, usually for spectators, could be converted into recreational areas for players. Credit...Hilary Swift for The New York Times

Testing

Even without fans or most stadium workers, rigorous testing would still be required at the tennis center to monitor and protect players, support staff and officials.

Stacey Allaster, the U.S.T.A.’s chief executive for professional tennis, said coronavirus testing would be required for athletes and members of their teams before they traveled to New York, perhaps on charter flights from different continents organized by the U.S.T.A. “We will insist on a pretravel health questionnaire that they meet with local physicians and local doctors, and Covid-19 tests will be required for everyone,” she said. “They will have to have been symptom-free for a certain period of time before travel and have had no known contact with anyone with Covid-19.”

Once on site, there would be daily temperature checks and health questionnaires, as well as frequent follow-up testing for the virus.

Rules and Events

U.S. Open leaders have pushed unsuccessfully in the past for in-match coaching to be allowed in the main draw — an issue that flared in 2018 when Serena Williams had a heated confrontation with a chair umpire for receiving coaching from the stands. They might finally get approval from both tours and their fellow Grand Slam tournaments in this special situation to add entertainment value for television audiences.

Wheelchair tennis is unlikely but has not been ruled out. The junior and legends events would be eliminated. There would be no ball kids, but adult ball persons would still be used to facilitate play; they would be required to wear gloves but not be allowed to handle player towels.

With players having been out of official competition since March, there has been discussion of changing the format of men’s singles matches at the U.S. Open from best-of-five sets to best-of-three sets to reduce players’ injury risk. But Allaster said that was not part of the U.S.T.A.’s current plan.

Venues

Both Arthur Ashe Stadium, the tournament’s main show court with nearly 24,000 seats, and the 14,000-seat Louis Armstrong Stadium would still be used even without fans. Both are fully wired for television and have retractable roofs that would allow for play to continue in case of rain.

With empty stands, ESPN, the tournament’s broadcaster, would need to innovate to create a compelling atmosphere, but the network has pushed hard for the Open to happen if it can be held safely.

“Out of crisis comes creativity. I’m not privy to any inside information, but I would imagine that there will be all sorts of new bells and whistles with no crowd,” said Patrick McEnroe, the former player and longtime ESPN analyst. “What about moving cameras? Or miking the players? If ever there were a time to try it, now would be it.”

The Bundesliga, the German soccer league that resumed last month without spectators on site, has used artificial crowd noise in its broadcasts to combat the emptiness.

ESPN could do the same at the Open. “Cheering can be piped in,” Allaster said. “We are learning from other sports as they go through this journey.”

Player Support

The size of tennis entourages has ballooned since the 1990s, when it was considered unusual that Pete Sampras traveled with a personal trainer, Todd Snyder. The WTA already has indicated that if its circuit resumes this year, players will be asked to come to tournaments with just one person. The U.S. Open would also reduce traveling parties. “An athlete coming with four, five, six, seven people is obviously not going to be possible,” Allaster said.

That could make for some tough choices for players who thrive on routine and ample support. “They will panic, I tell you,” said Sven Groeneveld, who previously coached Maria Sharapova and is now working with Taro Daniel. “Because all of the sudden, they will have to make a decision on should I take my agent or physiotherapist or coach?”

Donna Vekic, a Croat ranked 24th in women’s singles who was a U.S. Open quarterfinalist last year, said that she would be “OK to play without fans” but that “really the worst thing is if we can only come with one team member.”

She added, “I just don’t see how that is going to be possible and how the top players are going to accept that.”

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Merlin_160400775_246a4fcd-a8ca-46f9-b6c3-93ee4788f340-superJumbo

"Cheering can be piped in,” said Stacey Allaster, the United States Tennis Association’s chief executive for professional tennis.“We are learning from other sports as they go through this journey.” Credit...Karsten Moran for The New York Times

Player Services

With fewer people accompanying them, players could spread out to avoid the close contact that is standard during Week 1 in the Open locker room and training room. Allaster said each seeded player could be offered one of Arthur Ashe Stadium’s unused hospitality suites. To avoid crowding, players will need to book times for locker room or practice court access, Allaster said. Outdoor cafes, usually reserved for spectators, could be converted into recreational areas for players. “We see them chilling out and having a coffee and having some jazz musicians there,” Allaster said.

To protect their health, players could be restricted to an official hotel, probably outside Manhattan, where they would have access to treatment, training and testing, and be transported directly to the tennis center in Queens. “Traditionally, we have not been involved in housing for the U.S. Open,” Allaster said. “We need an effective centralized housing system in place.”

Player Field

Despite speculation among players and their agents, Allaster said the U.S.T.A. had not seriously considered reducing the size of the men’s and women’s singles draws from 128 competitors. Qualifying tournaments are likely to be scrapped and doubles competitions to be included with reduced draws of 24 teams, but no final decisions have been made.

A majority of players on both the men’s and women’s tours come from Europe. A directive from the U.S. government last month granted permission for foreign professional athletes, including tennis players, to travel to the United States for competition even if general travel bans exist. It remains unclear whether a quarantine period would be required after arrival. But it is unlikely that all of the stars would make the journey, even for the U.S. Open. Roger Federer, a five-time U.S. Open singles champion who will turn 39 in August and has four children, is a possible no-show and has expressed his lack of enthusiasm for playing without spectators. Others may be much more eager.

“I really think if we can pull this off in New York after all that has happened, it will totally be a big inspiration,” Mattek-Sands said.

(A version of this article appeared in print on June 3, 2020, Section B, Page 8 of the New York edition with the headline: Planning a U.S. Open Shut to Fans.)
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Donna Vekic is right inasmuch the top players, and others too higher in the rnakings won't want to appear, on top of no fans, without their physios, coaches, trainers and some family members at least. It does not make sense to have all that unavalaible.
 It does make me wonder if this schedule and the Western and Souther tournament moving to the new venue will somehow become a 5th GS. I mention this because the American commentators have talked about this a few times. 
 I don't think that this should be the case. Just a looking ahead supposition. Seeing Roger would be wonderful.
 My message to Roger is To Trust Himself and see how the others play. They come on extremely strong, with huge body blows, and that is what gives them a slight edge at times. by taking the first set and sometimes second also due to the sledgehammer blows. But Roger's energy goes into his taking the ball so early, and the half-volleys and volley. Taking the ball so early so that a half-volley is made is similar in its skill requirements as that exercise Roger did hitting the ball against the wall at very close quarters. It takes a great deal of hand-eye coordination and great control! 
 Roger's burst of speed also take great strength and energy. So power is not just displayed by hitting the heck out of the ball.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:45 pm

The no spectators is a real wet blanket. The "sparkle" of the tournament will be missing. Some players will derive an advantage from this, and I don't like that at all. Some will take it as na opportunity to ride rough-shod over opponents. 
 If this were a warm-up tournament with no real prize, then it would be differetn.Thinking about it makes me wonder why they are doing this, especially with a GS!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

2020 ATP Calendar & COVID-19 Impact - Page 13 Empty USO tentative plans?

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:45 pm

I don't Know what inspiration Mattek-Sands is talking about. And three sets! Should be entirely out of the question.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:46 pm

I rally wonder if the best of 3 sets is an idea from the ATP which seems to want all matches as short as possible, even to the extent of cutting sets to best of 4 games...  The whole point of the majors is you can be 1-2 sets down and still come back to win in 5. It's a totally different game to best of 3. ATP don't seem to care about that. Their ideas seem based on let's get this match over with asap and onto the next one. !!

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Jay Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:16 pm

Hey all...hope everyone is doing well! The vivid scene of seeing RF on court is keeping me going!

Clearly way off talking about 'normal' specifics but i wonder how the rankings will be applied, just pick back up from the first active event hmm? i was just scanning the posts here & did some rough calc...prior to o2, rf has 1k less to protect than the other 2, every little helps!

If NY goes ahead, rafa will need to be full tilt to protect.
Lil_Jay
Lil_Jay
Admin

https://federer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum