Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Analysis of Roger's Game

+4
MaxUS
avasbar
Cromar
Rufus1
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Normal Re: Analysis of Roger's Game

Post by lavender Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:54 am

Going back even further...AO 07 SF vs Roddick? That match was and still is my tennis NIRVANA!

lavender

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:31 pm

A very interesting article by Tom Perrotta for WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-roger-federer-found-his-groove-1503502673

Title:  How Roger Federer Found His Groove, Again
Author:  Tom Perotta

Tom recounts what Roger did post the decision to shut down his 2016 season.  He spoke to Roger at the Montréal tournament this year.

Here are some quotes pertaining to this thread.

Already one of the most successful players in tennis history, Federer reconstructed nearly everything about his game. The results have been remarkable.

After the time spent in Switzerland

When all that was done, one of the most successful players in the sport’s history went back to work with his coach in Dubai—and reconstructed nearly everything about his game.

Federer had changed his tennis racket years before, but still had to master it—and so he experimented, especially with his backhand. He built confidence in his forehand and retooled his positioning on the court. He decided to rest more, skipping tournaments he couldn’t win to prepare for the ones he could. And while away from competition, he went on a diet, so he wouldn’t gain weight.

“The new racket has helped me a lot on the backhand drive and on the serve, just getting more consistency, easier power,” Federer said. “I enjoy my tennis more because I can dictate play more, I can come to the net, I’m in charge, I can be creative.”

Mastering the racket allowed Federer to refine his strokes. He began hitting his backhand with more topspin, speed and depth, rather than slicing it low and slowly.

In the process, he transformed what used to be a backup shot—one that merely kept the ball in play until he could revert to his forehand—into a new weapon. Now Federer attacks his backhands sooner and stays more in the middle of the court with less stress. During serves, he often drills backhands right down the middle, at the server’s feet. That leaves opponents with little time and no angles to hit winners.

“It was more of a setup shot, the backhand,” he said. “Today I think I attack the ball more. I go meet the ball earlier.”

His forehand has remained roughly the same, but he attacks it sooner and harder by standing closer to the baseline than he has in the past.

“I’ve gone one step further by just really hugging the baseline, saying, I’m not moving back,” Federer said. “Because of that, now the rallies are played in a very aggressive way.”

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Is this the place for my musings? Cromar please move it if needed. I was trying to appease my tennis starved brain with some old matches and decided to watch the 2003 ATP Masters finals in Houston the RR match between Agassi and Roger- the first time he beat him. So much to like but a couple of things stood out.
1. Both Agassi and Roger hugged the baseline as if to move backwards would cause them to fall off a cliff. To see them take so many shots on the half volley was a sight to behold.
I remember Roger urging Sascha Zverev in the Laver Cup to not yield the baseline. But I think it is not everyone who is able to do this. I think Sascha must have tried but realized he couldn't.
2.The crowd was so much for Andre and it was fun to see a few stray Swiss flags waving and some fiercely proud Roger fans including, of course, a very young Lynette. I didn't see Mirka but I think she was there in the final- which I will watch next.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 pm

I think we are off Topic here, ph∞be, it should go to the technical thread. But, meanwhile... Wink Gif I think there is a big problem of footwork and timing. The timing of the ball to use the sabr, for instance, I don't think many have.
Where are our experts? This would be a good discussion.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed May 23, 2018 3:58 pm

As you suggested, Márcia, I have moved the posts here (from the News thread).
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 am

^^^
I hope our experts will come take a look. They are missing!
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum