Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Tournament Interviews

+8
anutam
vrazkar
Márcia
avasbar
Rufus1
norinchi
Cromar
michelle88
12 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Halle 2017 - R1 vs Sugita - 1100th Match Win

Post by Cromar Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Cromar

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Halle 2017 - R2 vs M. Zverev - Post-match interview

Post by Cromar Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:51 pm

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Halle 2017 - QF vs F. Mayer - Post-match interview

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 am

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Halle 2017 - SF vs K. Khachanov - Post-match Interview

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:02 am

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Halle 2017 - Final vs A. Zverev - Highights and Interview following 9th Win in Halle

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:19 am

Federer On Cloud Nine After Ninth Halle Title

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Wimbledon 2017 - Pre-tournament Press Conference

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:06 am

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 WimbledonLogo

Fresh Federer puts grass top of his agenda

Seven-time champion sacrificed clay court season to maximise his chances of winning Wimbledon  

By Dan Imhoff - Saturday, 1 July 2017 18:26 PM BST

Skipping half a season to heal and rejuvenate a tour-weary body is not a decision any athlete takes lightly in the latter stages of their career.

Given his injury-marred exit in the semi-finals of last year’s Championships, even Roger Federer’s most ardent believers felt the writing may have been on the wall for the 35-year-old.

It had been four years since his last Grand Slam triumph. What a defiant and unexpected resurgence 2017 has proven to be.

An 18th Grand Slam title Down Under was a bolt from the blue; a surprise even to the No.17 seed.

More fearless aggression and a newfound belief when the chips were down against his greatest tormentor over the years, Rafael Nadal, were evident in a five-set final.

His dominance over the Spaniard on hard courts extended to Indian Wells and Miami where further titles ensued. So it came as little wonder the astute Swiss opted to sit out the entire clay court swing.

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 B_federer_1116_010717_jm

Federer, instead, was planning an “epic” second half to the season on surfaces where his abilities are maximised.

“I think at the end of the day that was the decision for me … no compromise really,” Federer said. “Gave myself the best chance for the grass, so I would never look back and have regrets once I came here.

“I was ready to play in Paris. I just didn't feel ready to go yet, to come back in Madrid or Rome.

“I just felt like, you know what, anything other than winning there feels like I'm not giving myself the best chance for Wimbledon.

“We all felt the same way, that it's better to save myself and give it all I have for the rest of the season, not just the grass court season, but looking beyond that, too, all the way to the American summer, staying on a fast court tennis sort of mindset.”

Milos Raonic ended Federer’s run in the semi-finals last year and the pair could again meet in the quarter-finals this year.
Ever the svelte mover on court, when Federer fell to his knee attempting to make a volley in his match against the Canadian, his body was sending him a clear message. It would be his last match of the season.

“My knee was bad the entire grass court season,” Federer said. “The fall just really scared me. Maybe I wasn't able to move properly. Maybe I would have been broken anyway. Even if it's a totally healthy knee, there's no deciding I'm going to break Milos [Raonic].

“Very quickly the [decision] was to have at least sort of four months [off]. If we wanted to get full healing and full strength back, unfortunately that's what it was going to take. Soon after we went down that route. Thank God, no regrets there.”

An early defeat against good friend, veteran Tommy Haas, in Stuttgart leading in was no cause for alarm. He romped to a record ninth title in Halle, completely dismantling young gun Alexander Zverev for the loss of just four games in the final. The match was even more lop-sided than the scoreline suggested.

Still Federer regarded the German among the five best players under 30 capable of shaking up the Federer, Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka Grand Slam dominance of the past decade.

“I think that Zverev and Nick Kyrgios have shown what they can do, how good they can be,” Federer said. “You know, the likes of Raonic and Kei Nishikori and Grigor Dimitrov, I think, are in a good spot right now where, you know, they can go very deep and nobody would really be surprised.

“Away from those five players, I'm not sure how deep we're talking about. Are we talking about winning Wimbledon? That's going to be obviously a long shot.”

The same could have been said of Federer’s future Wimbledon chances after last year’s departure. 
What a game-changer 2017 has been.  Very Happy

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Wimbledon 2017 - R1 Post-match interview

Post by Cromar Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Short interview from BBC following his R1 match against Dolgopolov (retired)...

BBC interview

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Montreal 2017 - Pre-tournament Interview

Post by Rufus1 Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Posted in the RC tournament thread, but this is the place for pre-tournament pressers so repeating it here

Quotes from pretournament presser from

https://twitter.com/vgibertini

and from tournament

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Re: 2017 Tournament Interviews

Post by Rufus1 Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:33 pm

For Canadians

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Federer:"... n.1 that maybe that's the best target" #couperogers

"I don't want to play Federer in the Final again. I've played him enough this year already. I don't want to play the best players in Finals"

Be afraid, Rafa, be very afraid
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by skumars Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:34 am

Did he really say that?
skumars
skumars

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 am

Here are some quotes from the ATP article about Roger's pretournament presser in Montréal.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/montreal-2017-preview-federer

"I remember the Djokovic match in the 2007 final and maybe a match against [Gaston] Gaudio where I saved match point," said Federer. "It feels a little like a blur to be honest. But my most important one was in 2009, when my girls were two weeks old.

"It was our first trip as a family. They just got their passports and traveled here. I remember we had an unbelievable time and I was trying to be a dad for the first time. It was all out of control in the nicest possible way. It was here in Montreal, so it will always be special for me here. This year, I'm here without the family so it's a bit different and bit more quiet. I'll plan on resting and sleeping while I can."

"What I see here is a soul in this tournament and a soul in the Centre Court. It's not totally symmetrical, which makes it unique as well. They're either a box or a circle. In most venues, they're the same, but here they're not.

"The crowd is full most of the time and there are day and night sessions, which is nice. There's a great energy in the town and they can sense that tennis is back. They only have this one big tournament during the year and fans make the most of it. I hope we can make it a great experience for fans who show up and pay good money for the tickets."

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Montreal 2017 - Pre-Tournament Interview Videos (English & French)

Post by Cromar Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:20 am

Rogers Cup sit down with Roger Federer

Sportsnet | August 7, 2017

Tennis superstar Roger Federer sits down with Arash Madani ahead of his match at the Rogers Cup in Montreal to talk about his rivalry with Rafael Nadal and more.

Video: (5:57)

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 DGkwu7lXsAA6cWS

Video - French (10:14) : Montréal dans le cœur de Roger Federer  

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:11 pm

^^^ skumar

Yes he actually said that : it was widely quoted . Said in the Wimby interviews at some point
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

2017 Tournament Interviews - Page 4 Empty Montreal 2017 - Pre-tournament Interview (ATP)

Post by Rufus1 Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:49 pm

From the ATP, their Rogers Cup pretournament interview

August 7, 2017

Interesting on why he thinks he struggles in Canada and about the weather this year - unusual for Canada he says (but not unusual this year for Montréal Roger!!)

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:25 am

Great interview, Rufus1! Thanks.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down