Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2021

+13
Ramm
Steerpike60
UES
Rosaline
Jmrf
federerworshipper
Márcia
striker
Marly 103-20
wcr
HeartoftheMatter
Sherl
Cromar
17 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2021

Post by Ramm Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:34 pm

Twitter is buzzing with reports that Roger has withdrawn from both Toronto and Cincinnati due to his ongoing knee injury 🥲.

Ramm

slaie_thuin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:49 pm

I've just seen this on Tennishead:

Roger Federer withdraws from Toronto and Cincinnati with knee injury

https://tennishead.net/federer-withdraws-from-toronto-cincinnati-with-knee-injury/

And on twitter:

Also mentioned on ATP site and by TennisTV.  So it seems definite. Sad.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Jmrf Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:57 pm

RF out of any tournament before US Open. Oh dear, but staying positive as he still needs time!

Jmrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 pm

Yup, Roger is out of Canada and Cincy.  Honestly... does anyone really think he'll be in NY?  At this point, I don't.  Even if his knee is okay, what kind of match shape would he really be in?  And if he skips NY... what would keep him from calling it a year?  The only things he would play post-NY are LC and IW.  Basel is not even being held this year.  And he's not qualifying for the YECs...  

Man, this so sucks.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:19 pm

I knew Canada was out.  It was next week and he would already be there if he were really going to play.  Even if his knee were fine, I figured he'd want to celebrate his 40th birthday at home.  Now with Cincy out, I'm pretty convinced that he won't play the USO either.  I'm half-surprised he didn't announce that too.  Honestly, I'm not optimistic for 2021 at all.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:25 pm

Is it really true? 
 I do think that all the controversy Djpokovic stirred up by his behavior and the constant comments and arguments swirling around him have created an atmosphere that Roger would not like. There is just too much controversy, and none of it comes from him.
 if true, so sad, I wish it were not true: I think tactically it would be better if he played both tournaments, i.e. Toronto/USO.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:42 pm

Roger is definitely not playing Toronto or Cincy and frankly I didn't expect him to.

Let's hope the knee isn't too bad eeally, and it may be he decided after Wim that it would be wise only to play tourneys he really needed to play, ie the Majors? Reaching the qfs is a respectable goal given the knee problems. But to have to miss USO because knee in trouble post a run at Cincy, that would be a disaster,

So it seems sensible to accept he can't get any match play pre USO, and go straight into the Major and hope for a decent draw in the early rounds.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:50 pm

Yes, I do agree that not to play at all, no USO, would be a negative experience for Roger and a sign that he is being affected by the hoopla around the nasty. However, it does depend on how his knee goes. 
 What bad vibes that nasty creates!!!

HeartoftheMatter

Rosaline likes this post

Back to top Go down

Normal Roger withdrawing from Toronto, Cincy

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Just who will play in Toronto? Yes, Roger withdrew from Toronto and Cincy, but Thiem, Zverev, Djokovic also withdrew.
 P.S, Yes, a heavy feeling settling in. I just hope that because of the extra furor he won't let himself be deterred and fade away. That is not something that would suit his glorious tennis life.
 WE LOOK TO YOU, ROGER, TO SAVE THIS YEAR! RF Tennis News 2021 - Page 6 1f60d 

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:18 pm

No doubt there is a very depleted field for Canada.  Rafa is basically the only top player.

I'm guessing most will be back for Cincy, although not Roger and not Thiem - who is probably not likely for the USO either.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:29 pm

It's hard to know what kind of knee "setback" Roger was referring to when he pulled out of the Olympics.  I mean, we saw him "lightly" doing tennis drills with his family in Croatia.  So, he's not on crutches or having trouble walking, etc.  So whatever this setback is, it doesn't seem like it meant more surgery.  Maybe just more rest?  

Normally Roger is the one to announce a withdrawal.  But he didn't this time.  Is the fact that he didn't include the USO in this withdrawal announcement mean that NY is a possibility?  Or is he planning to withdraw and for whatever reason is waiting to say so?  Maybe he's not announcing it yet because he doesn't want folks to panic about LC.  I don't know.  I'm just throwing stuff out there.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

slaie_thuin and Rosaline like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:33 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:Yes, I do agree that not to play at all, no USO, would be a negative experience for Roger and a sign that he is being affected by the hoopla around the nasty. However, it does depend on how his knee goes. 
 What bad vibes that nasty creates!!!

If he doesn't play the USO then this knee setback, whatever it is, needs more time.  Doesn't sound like more surgery is coming.  At least not yet.  But I don't believe Roger's playing or not playing has anything to do with any outside hoopla.  And I don't think it would have anything to do with the uptick in covid cases in the US either.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Cromar and Rosaline like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:16 pm

I think Roger is simply trying to have his knee as strong as possible for USO.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheadlebeagle Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:31 pm

Well if this is the end it is an unfortunate way to go out. I would prefer he leaves on his terms not finished off by an injury. Whatever happens it has been a privilege to follow his career all these years and see him play in person 5 times. Will for ever be the GOAT for me.

Cheadlebeagle

striker and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Normal RF OUT

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Rosaline wrote:I think Roger is simply trying to have his knee as strong as possible for USO.

Man, I hope so.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

slaie_thuin and Rosaline like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by federerworshipper Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:38 am

This has been the worst year for us fans. At least in 2019 Roger was tweeting and making fun zoom videos and promotions for Barilla, ON etc.. He is not reaching out to his fans, which only means that he is not ready yet. It feels like it is the end, but it couldn't be. He has the Laver Cup in Sept. I am sure he will be playing that event, his event. I am in doubt about the US Open though. Hoping to hear some positive news from him sometime soon. Meanwhile wishing him a very happy 40th Birthday and the best of health.
federerworshipper
federerworshipper

striker and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum