Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by ph∞be Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Roger is the first 'celebrity' that I have followed although I have enjoyed both sports and music all my life. And, with today's social media etc there is such scrutiny of everybody that it is hard to keep anything truly private. As far as I'm concerned, the Roger I see on and off the court behaves with exemplary sportsmanship. And, he is a 'gentleman' in the old-fashioned sense of the world. I love his open adoration of Mirka and his children, and his love and gratitude to his parents. 
Does he get mad on and off the court- of course. Does he have a high opinion of himself- I hope so. He should. There is nothing as attractive as when Roger is in boss mode strutting across the court.

ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Kop8zky Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Forgive me all, but I had a good laugh reading the article.
So noone says "no" to Roger Federer? Where's the problem? LOOOL!!!

He fought for more money for the lower ranked. He is against on court coaching because it's not fair for all of them (especially the lower ranked with no coach on tour all the time). He pays well for an exhibition? Thank you Roger! He is nice to all players, why not?

I mean, how stupid would he be not to say what he wants? Should he go and say "oh sorry, of course I play on court 527 if it is needed"? Should he say  "no problem, I play for the money you tell me in the first place even if it is not much?"
He is a businessman and he wants what he gets. If the Djoker has then to play on court 527 I can live with it...Wink Gif
And if he wants to have as much money as possible or live in Dubai, it is HIS business, not mine. I don't find it especially sexy, but Roger is not a saint.
He is the best tennis player ever, a fair sportsman and a decent person. That's enough for me. Cool

@Marcia - LOOOOL!!! Isnogud!!! Spot on!!!
Kop8zky
Kop8zky

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Kopetzky, court nr. 527 for Roger... Laughing Pacman Laughing Pacman Laughing Pacman Why not Laughing Pacman Laughing Pacman Laughing Pacman ?
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Ultimately it is up to the organizers- Djokovic or someone else may also ask for their favourite time or court. It probably happens a lot with the top players but we don't hear about it all the time.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Marly 103-20 Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:34 pm

do we hear from him?
Marly 103-20
Marly 103-20

http://federer080881.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Novak is out to tie Rogers record at the finals. COME ON ROGER, WE BELIEVE!!! GO FOR IT!!! Love it Love it Love it
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marly 103-20 Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Come on RF! BELIVE IN YOU, ROGER!
Marly 103-20
Marly 103-20

http://federer080881.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:29 pm

striker wrote:Novak is out to tie Rogers record at the finals.  COME ON ROGER, WE BELIEVE!!! GO FOR IT!!! Love it Love it Love it

You bet he is. That's why Roger not taking advantage last year was so frustrating.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Re Benneteau's interview/statements-

Djokovic and Isner were, I assume, asked about it in press today, and both come out heavily on Roger's side.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/12/novak-djokovic-defends-roger-federer-over-special-treatment-on-atp-tour-8132978/

The above article article from George Bellshaw has direct quotes from both men.

Djokovic
When asked if favouritism towards Federer was unfair, he replied: ‘Look, that’s debatable really because in the end of the day, in a way he deserves the special treatment because he’s six-time champion of Australian Open and arguably the best player ever. ‘If he doesn’t have it, who is going to have it? People want to see him play on the center court, and they want to see him play in showtime, the best hours, which is 7:30 at night in Rod Laver Arena.

‘Again, on the other side, you have to understand that also Federer is a driving force of tennis in terms of revenue, in terms of attention, in terms of all these different things. ‘Julien and guys like him are also benefitting from tennis, because of Roger, because of what he has done for the sport.’

Isner
The top players, they sell the most tickets therefore they should get the most. That’s what I think.

‘So I don’t think there’s a favouritism system like that at all. I think those guys are the ones that by and large carry our sport in a big way and they deserve everything they’ve ever earned. ‘So again, if anything, they may be should get more special treatment because those guys, the top players, have made other players below them a lot of money. It is like the Tiger Woods effect in golf. ‘So that is how you can look at a guy like Roger. He is men’s tennis in my opinion. So, he deserves everything and more that he’s ever had.’

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:49 am

^^^
Excellent. And I like Djokovic naming Benneteau. Laughing
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Márcia wrote:^^^
Excellent. And I like Djokovic naming Benneteau. Laughing

Yes. And Isner's response was even better!
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:55 pm

I saw that Craig Tilley has also responded beautifully. Wasn't Benneteau the guy that Stan had trouble with after the DC victory?
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 am

When Switzerland won Davis Cup against France, was it Benneteau who said some things, or was unhappy after, or during the banquet. I remember it was something along those lines, unless it was Joe-Wilfried Tsonga. One of them had to be cajoled into a better mood. If it was Benneteau, then I would see the connection.
Even without that, Benneteau is a good player. Just today I posted a reply to somebody who called Benneteau 'second rate" because all of those players, first one hundred, second one hundred, are very good players and they have to be respected.
Of course, I can see that Roger gets special treatment regarding court, and days, but not all the time. I did feel that the US loss was due to the court change. That was a bad thing for him, as it cost him the tournament possibly. A particularly difficult loss.
As for Djokovic, even though he is quoted as defending Roger's position here, he has spent years doing the opposite. One US Open, when he played Roger in the semis, I think, quite some years ago, he wanted an interview with the press, having gotten a few players beside him, to say that they wanted attention, not just Roger, that it was not fair. He only got a very brief, less than a few minutes time. But back then, he was eager to replace Roger, and all kinds of nasty things were going on, with having him heavil promoted while having Roger basically run down, saying whether he should retire, etc, and one Brit even said that Roger would be like a "rent a tuxedo at a wedding." This was arouond 2008. when he lost the AO against ND, and when he had mono, which hardly anyone mentions.
That was not a pleasant time. Djokovic thought that by shoving Roger aside, in a way, he could just take his place. Things have changed, and Djokovic can better appreciate what it takes to achieve what Roger has achieved, and to go on being #1 and keeping it that way, the pressure of it all. Of course, the players who get to the finals play the most, too.
Roger did elevate the level of the game. He made the tournament a more pleasant and more collegial place from the time he was the top player, with his inclusive attitude.
Of course he is not perfect. And he would not be as interesting if he were perfect. But one of his big goals is his foundation, and it is good he puts money toward it. He did ensure that players in the first rounds get more money, and that was really important.
As for getting more money for appearances, I think that the tournaments and interested organizations make their money off him.
I take not of the fact that Isner spoke out and said his piece. His seems to consider things all around. And even Djokovic by now can undersand some or most of it. Of course. he just wants to outdo Roger, but he will never achieve that. He will never play like Roger, and that counts, too, not just the trophies and other landmarks. I do appreciate that he is a champion, a great player, albeit for me his game is not interesting.
Roger had said a few years ago about GOAT that probably it will be a circle of a few players to achieve that statues, rather than just one.
As for hos businesses work, there are plenty of examples. Roger and Godsick don't harm anyone, whereas there are a lot of businesses that wreak a lot of harm.
I went beyond the framework of this discussion. I am not upset, and most people before me, wcr, Steerpike and others, have said the gist or all of it.
As a last bit, I want to add that what the family does, Roger, Mirka and the children, is quite remarkable. Some ladies in the past had said what sounded like jealousy driven comments about Mirka, and I am sure she is not perfect, either. But to think that they do all this travelling, even with the all the help they have, is really quite something. I wouldn't do it or couldn't, but they are the nomads of the tour, and all that the tennis life and Roger's status involves. Impressive, as much for love of tennis, for caring about others, and for wanting to be together as a family.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:43 pm

As expected.  Roger losses were the 2 best matches of 2018 according to the ATP:  #2 was the IW final.  And #1 was the paris SF loss to Djoker.

https://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/best-atp-world-tour-matches-2018-2-to-1
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 am

^^^
It is enervating but, at the end of the day, it is also a tribute to Roger. To win against him asks from the opponent to be at his best.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by mariah1 Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:24 am

^^ True, Marcia
mariah1
mariah1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content