Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by ph∞be Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm posting a link to a translation of a French Radio Show. WARNING- read it only if you are comfortable with Roger being portrayed in a negative light. I found it interesting because I think there is a business side of Roger that I am not familiar with. The article also discusses his court allotment in all the GS. 
https://tennis.life/2018/11/11/federer-french-radio-show-criticism/

ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:56 pm

^^^ Yeah, I read this earlier.  First thing I would say is "Shut Up Benneteau".   We all know Roger gets "preferred" sessions since he's the most popular player.  Honestly, for me, I would prefer to see Roger not get stuck with night sessions all the damn time (especially in week long events).  We've seen that schedule screw Roger many a time.  Maybe if Benneteau was that good and got scheduled like that all the time, he might realize it's not always a good thing.

As for Laver Cup... well tough luck.  The success of the Laver Cup has nothing to do with the all the issues surrounding Davis Cup.  There are plenty of people to blame for what is going on with DC.  Not Roger.

As for on-court coaching? Well, good for Roger. I'm glad he said that.

Anything "preferential" Roger has gotten or continues to get is because of who Roger is and what he's done for the game.  Sour grapes, Julian.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:05 pm

I agree with some of what you say Steerpike but I was intrigued by the suggestion that Tony Godsick may actually have spoken to the organizers about not putting Roger in Armstrong at the USO. That is different from the organizers themselves choosing to do so on their own. As far as asking for more appearance fees- I think that is fair. And, I think it may have been the money angle that derailed the Nike partnership. Roger may have his sights focussed on his foundation and trying to leverage as much as he can while he is still active so it is possible that Nike could not/ would not match what Uniqlo was willing to give him.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:15 pm

If Benneteau and other players would like 'equal' treatment as Roger, here is what I suggest to them:

01.  Spend more time improving the quality of your game so you win consistently and the fans will grow to love and appreciate your hard work.  Consistency at winning is absolutely necessary to build a strong fan base, improve ticket sales and get tournaments to pay more to have you participate.

02.  Hire a better agent who fights for you.

03.  Improve your disposition from a whiner, who thinks he's as entitled to what Roger claims for himself just cause, to a better global representative of the sport.  If you want the perks, earn them through your game.

04.  If you or others need on court coaching then own your remedial skill set.  Elaborate as to why you believe the sport should be dumbed-down so you can win.  Elaborate why that would be good for children developing their games.  

05.  Make better choices in your team, friends and your spouse to support the demands of your being a great player.  Make sure they behave properly if you want the crowd behind you.

06.  Be authentic.  Imitating Roger (hello Djokovic) does not result in the same crowd affection for you as they have for Roger.  Crowds/fans are very smart and see right through a phony.

Tony Godsick is a badass businessman and I wouldn't want to be opposite him in any negotiation.  Instead, I'd want him on my side, looking out for my best interests and fighting for them.  Roger is developing his business skill set.  Roger's made tons of money for tournaments, sponsors, manufacturers and the sport overall.  He wants his cut.  Good for him.  He's earned it.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:26 pm

For the record I think a lot of what we see with Roger is the carefully crafted image he wants to project.  He's no saint by a long shot and not a nice guy at times.  No one can rise to the heights that Roger's enjoyed without offending folks along the way. This seems to be consistent with those who seek the extraordinary that involves pressures regular folks never know.

And Roger remains the greatest athlete of this century as far as I'm concerned.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:32 pm

ph∞be wrote:I agree with some of what you say Steerpike but I was intrigued by the suggestion that Tony Godsick may actually have spoken to the organizers about not putting Roger in Armstrong at the USO. That is different from the organizers themselves choosing to do so on their own. As far as asking for more appearance fees- I think that is fair. And, I think it may have been the money angle that derailed the Nike partnership. Roger may have his sights focussed on his foundation and trying to leverage as much as he can while he is still active so it is possible that Nike could not/ would not match what Uniqlo was willing to give him.

Coaches and agents (player's reps) often get involved with court selection and scheduling.  Andy Roddick won the US Open thanks in large part to Brad Gilbert's help.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:34 pm

^^WCR,
Expect some replies to your comments!!! Very Happy  Hes considered "perfect" Smile
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Kop8zky Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:38 pm

striker wrote:^^
Expect some replies to your comments!!! Very Happy  Hes considered "perfect" Smile

Here's the first reply (  Wink Gif   ) :

well said, wcr!
Kop8zky
Kop8zky

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:46 pm

ph∞be wrote:I agree with some of what you say Steerpike but I was intrigued by the suggestion that Tony Godsick may actually have spoken to the organizers about not putting Roger in Armstrong at the USO. That is different from the organizers themselves choosing to do so on their own. As far as asking for more appearance fees- I think that is fair. And, I think it may have been the money angle that derailed the Nike partnership. Roger may have his sights focussed on his foundation and trying to leverage as much as he can while he is still active so it is possible that Nike could not/ would not match what Uniqlo was willing to give him.

I believe in the article Benneteau said he heard that Godsick had done that.  I really hate when folks go on record saying something like that when they have no first-hand knowledge.  Who knows if it really occurred?  I have a hard time believing that Tony would demand that Roger not be scheduled on Armstrong at any time.  Roger has played on it before.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:51 pm

wcr wrote:For the record I think a lot of what we see with Roger is the carefully crafted image he wants to project.  He's no saint by a long shot and not a nice guy at times.  No one can rise to the heights that Roger's enjoyed without offending folks along the way.  This seems to be consistent with those who seek the extraordinary that involves pressures regular folks never know.

And Roger remains the greatest athlete of this century as far as I'm concerned.

Of course Roger is not a saint.  Of course he has faults.  Of course he loses his temper.  Of course he's had times where he wasn't a nice guy.  He's human right?  But I think it's pretty obvious that Roger is a good guy.  

The one athlete who went all out to project an image that was far from the truth was Tiger Woods.  And look what happened when that bubble burst?  Roger himself has never projected a God-like image.  Some of his fans?  Yes.  But that's not on Roger.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:26 pm

^^^
Don't understand the purpose of your response to my post.  I appears you agree with me.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:39 pm

wcr wrote:^^^
Don't understand the purpose of your response to my post.  I appears you agree with me.

I do agree with a lot of it.  My only disagreement is you saying that what we do see of Roger is a "carefully crafted image of what he wants to project".  I don't see that at all.  I don't see Roger or his team trying to force a certain image of him.  From what I've seen first-hand and from what I've read over the years...  Roger is a decent and humble guy.  Not perfect.  But a good guy.  

Like I said, the one athlete I thought went to extremes to purposefully portray himself as some perfect guy, husband, and father was Tiger Woods.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

I realize now you 'don't see it.' To each their own.

Humility isn't one of the core traits I admire.  Do enjoy Roger's humble-bragging which I find honest, apt and hilarious.

Know nothing about golf.  It bores me witless.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:09 pm

^^^ I don't mind the humble-brags either. No top athlete can get where they are without having an ego.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 pm

I was so late to write that what I wrote is already older than Roger.

So........ I agree with each word, coma and point written by wcr. In my opinion, Roger has absolutely ALL the rights: to ask, to demand, to require. If it is Godsick at his name, it is also ok, this is his role as Roger's agent, to ask the best for him, money, court choice, anything.

Benneteau, in his defense of Djokovic, reminded me this "picture" of Iznogud - Djokovic -, where he says "I want to be caliph at the place of the caliph". Also good for Benneteau and many others.

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 19 Iznogo10
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Roger is the first 'celebrity' that I have followed although I have enjoyed both sports and music all my life. And, with today's social media etc there is such scrutiny of everybody that it is hard to keep anything truly private. As far as I'm concerned, the Roger I see on and off the court behaves with exemplary sportsmanship. And, he is a 'gentleman' in the old-fashioned sense of the world. I love his open adoration of Mirka and his children, and his love and gratitude to his parents. 
Does he get mad on and off the court- of course. Does he have a high opinion of himself- I hope so. He should. There is nothing as attractive as when Roger is in boss mode strutting across the court.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum