Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2018

+22
Aprilp20n
tvradke
norinchi
Cromar
HeartoftheMatter
Vinnie
RogerNo.1
Luvfedtenis
liz827
maje
oldlady
striker
Romannoble
RMGuillot
cornnn92
dung98
ph∞be
lavender
wcr
Steerpike60
Kop8zky
Márcia
26 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2018

Post by ph∞be Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:31 pm

This is pure speculation on my part but looking at the new Nike Ad I do wonder whether it was philosophical differences that drove Roger and Nike apart. Nike has decided to become more activist and, perhaps, Roger really doesn't fit into that script- he is not someone who had a difficult childhood or someone who had to overcome adversity. And, most importantly he is a white male (sort of persona non grata, almost, these days). 
I wonder when the negotiations totally broke down- if it was just after the AO it might explain his current malaise.

ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Here's another reason to hate the USTA and the USO:

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/tennis/us-open/baffling-us-open-court-change-blunder-slammed/news-story/ff382598b793df45577b1f5abdde21db

‘Baffling’ US Open court change blunder slammed

news.com.au
September 06, 2018

JIM Courier has solved the mystery surrounding Roger Federer at the US Open and busted officials over a “baffling” blunder.

THE US Open celebrated a dream semi-finals line-up of four Americans in the 2017 women’s singles.

12 months later, US Open officials have now admitted they deliberately changed the speeds of courts around Flushing Meadows in an attempt to help American players.

US tennis legend Jim Courier revealed while commentating for Amazon TV in America that officials believed American players would be more successful at their home slam if they slowed down the pace of the courts.

The decision, combined with the poor ventilation caused by the roof on Arthur Ashe Stadium, has turned the 2018 event into a nightmare for players.

The hot and humid conditions combined with the lack of air circulation in the grand slam’s main arena has made the 2018 slam one of the most gruelling seen in recent years.

It has now been revealed that a slower court surface has also contributed to more brutal matches, longer rallies and tougher conditions for players.

Courier said the changes to the court surface were made solely to benefit American players, despite US Open tournament director David Brewer admitting last week that the courts were slowed down because of feedback last year that the courts had become too quick.

Courier’s revelation was met with puzzlement by American tennis commentators.

It clearly backfired.

John Isner was the only American male to reach the quarter-finals — and is a player who has traditionally played his best tennis on fast-courts that benefit players with big serves.

Just three American women made the round of 16 in the women’s singles — but a dream final between Madison Keys and Serena Williams remains on track after the pair both won through to the semi-finals.

The slower court and humidity created a brutal backdrop for Rafael Nadal’s five-hour epic slug-fest victory over Dominic Thiem where neither big-hitter was able to blast their opponent off the baseline.

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 99ae103f92116ca77b046cc7a303bf88
Arthur Ashe Stadium became a sweat box at the 2018 Open.

The conditions also got the better of tennis legend Roger Federer when he was knocked out by Aussie John Millman in the fourth round.

“When you feel like that, everything is off, so,” Federer said of his failure to deal with the humidity and the slower surface.

“Some days it’s just not the day where the body can cope with it.

“I do believe since the roof is on that there is no air circulation in the stadium. I think just that makes it a totally different US Open. Plus conditions maybe were playing slower this year on top of it. You have soaking wet pants, soaking wet everything. The balls are in there, too. You try to play. Everything gets slower as you try to hit winners.

“Again, look, I thought the match was tough. I wish I could have led two sets to love and then maybe the match would be different, you know, and I would find a way, because I did have my chances all the way till the end. It was just tough. I thought John played a great match in difficult conditions.”

Roger Federer revealed he struggled to breathe during his shock 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (9/7), 7-6 (7/3) defeat to world number 55 John Millman at the US Open on Monday.

The 37-year-old five-time champion laboured to his earliest loss at the tournament in five years.

Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by cornnn92 Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Oh, I see... The tennis version of MAGA? Facepalm
cornnn92
cornnn92

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes, I think it's quite outrageous that a tournament intentionally changed the court speed to help their own players. That's unfair competition, in my book... How can this be acceptable? Evil / Very Mad

And they also need to address the ventilation problem on AA. It's obvious that there is a problem there, making the conditions down on the court (almost) unplayable.  Even Djokovic complained quite bitterly after his match against Millman (even though he won). Millman was allowed by the empire to go and change his shorts in the middle of a set, as he couldn't put the balls in his pocket anymore, his shorts being so wet!

Obviously, those are not the conditions you want players to compete in at a Grand Slam. Someone got to shake up those chiefs at the US Open!
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:57 pm

Melting US Open stars focus their anger on fancy roofs

By Marc Berman | New York Post
September 6, 2018 | 10:55am

The Ashe Stadium roof has caused a major stir at the U.S. Open, but not because of its use.

In fact, due to a rain-less few weeks, the two roofs, including the new one of rebuilt Armstrong Stadium, have yet to be closed for an entire match.

However, the unprecedented heat and humidity has the top players riled at the lack of circulation in Ashe Stadium, blaming the superstructure on top of the arena that supports the roof.

Roger Federer blamed the still air at Ashe partly for his stunning loss against unseeded John Millman on Monday night, saying he could hardly breathe in the still, humid air. On Wednesday night, after surviving Millman, Novak Djokovic said he’s never played a U.S. Open this sweaty because of the lack of circulating air courtside.

“I think that this tournament needs to address this,” Djokovic said. “Whether it’s night or day, we just don’t have air down there. It feels like sauna. Obviously the roof is fantastic. We, as players, are grateful that we have the roof, because then the rain will not interrupt the matches. But there is no circulation of the air at all, especially court level.”

The USTA is looking into the problem for next year, according to spokesman Chris Widmaier. In the first two years of the Ashe roof, the weather didn’t come close to this in terms of temperature and humidity.

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 Roo
The Ashe Stadium roof @Getty Images

In fact, according to Widmaier, the USTA thought the superstructure on top of the stadium did well in making the court less windy.

In the Djokovic-Millman match late Wednesday, a bizarre break occurred at 2-2 when Millman begged to leave the court because his shorts were sopping wet, and he couldn’t put the tennis balls in his pocket. Players aren’t allowed to leave unless it’s a changeover, but a special exception was made.

Ironically, in the first Open with two expensive roofs, the covers have sat idly. Only on Friday did the Open see a smattering of rain.

The roof on Ashe closed for parts of two matches — Rafael Nadal vs. Karen Khachanov and Sloane Stephens vs. Victoria Azarenka. On Armstrong, the roof was closed Friday for part of the Kevin Anderson-Denis Shapovalov match. The two roofs were the highlights of the Open’s $600 million revamping of the National Tennis Center.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Would be nice if Roger could make it to the Olympics in Tokyo... but playing in the Davis Cup next year?  Shocked

Roger Federer's dream of playing 2020 Tokyo Olympics still alive

The 37-year-old could play at 2020 Olympics even if he does not play for Switzerland in Davis Cup

By PA Sport | SkySports  
Last Updated: 26/09/18

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 Skysports-federer-tennis-roger_4408692
An Olympic singles gold medal still eludes 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer

Roger Federer is likely to be eligible to play at the Tokyo Olympics in 2020 even if he does not compete for Switzerland in the revamped Davis Cup next year.

The 37-year-old's lucrative clothing deal with Japanese firm Uniqlo was seen as another indication he was hoping to play on until what would be a fifth Olympics, with a singles gold medal the one major title still to elude him.

But, according to the rules, in order to qualify for Tokyo players need to have taken part in at least two Davis Cup or Fed Cup ties during the current Olympic cycle, including one in 2019 or 2020.

Federer has not played in the competition since 2015 and Switzerland missed out on a wild card for the inaugural finals week of the revamped Davis Cup next November, with Britain and Argentina picked instead.

Switzerland instead must face Russia in the qualifiers in February immediately after the Australian Open, where an appearance by Federer would be a major surprise.

But International Tennis Federation president David Haggerty revealed there is wriggle room, saying: "Within the rules are things about past champions, past Olympians and grand slam winners.

"I have been talking to Roger's team and they're aware of things. He may or may not play Davis Cup, it hasn't been decided one way or another, but all that will be factored in. Certainly someone like Roger would be great to have at the Olympics."

Haggerty confirmed on Tuesday that next year's Davis Cup finals week will be held in November at the very end of the season, which could make attracting the best players very difficult.

We have every major tennis event covered from all angles via our website skysports.com/tennis. On the move? Head to our app for mobile devices and iPad, or follow our Twitter account @SkySportsTennis to join in the conversation.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Oh, dear heavens, let it be, let it be! Just unfold everything for Roger, in front of him, beside him, behind him, and within him.
What a wonderful goal to aim for!!!! Roger!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:54 pm

A big fat black eye for the slowed down courts so it would favour American players!
Unacceptable and outrageous. To play around with conditions like this is unsportsmanlike in the extreme.
Shame! Can't be true :horror: Mad

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marly 103-20 Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Do you know what time the Shanghai draw will take place?
Marly 103-20
Marly 103-20

http://federer080881.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Normal Roger and family have arrived in Shanghai

Post by norinchi Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:59 pm

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 DorcBDuUcAA85b3

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 DorcBD2UYAAT53H

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 DoraT3-U0AAUfk1

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 DoraT36UwAAS-mA
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:57 am

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Basel 2018 Final

Post by Cromar Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:21 am

Eyes On The Prize: Roger Races Into 14th Basel Final

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 Atpwtlogo-50x50ATP Staff  | 27 Oct 2018

Federer will play Copil for his 99th tour-level title

If there’s anything that should not surprise you during an ATP World Tour season, it’s Roger Federer reaching the final at the Swiss Indoors Basel.

Federer advanced to the championship match of his hometown tournament for the 14th time on Saturday, racing past in-form Daniil Medvedev 6-1, 6-4 in just 65 minutes. The Swiss has made the final in Basel in 12 straight appearances, improving his record in semi-finals at the tournament to 14-1, with his only loss coming in 2002 against David Nalbandian.

"I'm very happy. I think it was my best performance this week," Federer said. "I'm starting to really get to understand the conditions and it was consistent, my most consistent match by far. The results show it as well, so I'm very happy."

The 37-year-old is not only on the verge of his ninth Basel triumph, but he can lift his 99th tour-level trophy. Federer is second on the all-time singles titles list, trailing only Jimmy Connors, who was victorious 109 times in his career.

The Swiss played his best match of the week against Medvedev, who has captured his first three ATP World Tour titles this season. After saving a break point in the first game of the match, Federer cruised through the first set in just 20 minutes and he would take a 6-1, 5-1 lead.

While Medvedev, who had won 22 of 27 tour-level matches heading into the match against Federer, broke the top seed to stay alive, the eight-time tournament champion served out the semi-final at the second time of asking. It was especially impressive considering Medvedev pushed Federer to three sets in their first FedEx ATP Head2Head meeting two weeks ago at the Rolex Shanghai Masters.

"I don't think Daniil maybe played as well as then [in Shanghai]. Conditions are different, maybe also his legs were a little bit heavy. He's played a lot of tennis the past few weeks, so I understand," Federer said. "For me, it goes on. I'm really super-excited to be in another final here in Basel and I hope I can defend my title tomorrow."

In the final, Federer will face surprise finalist Marius Copil, who earned his second Top 10 win of the week with a stunning three-set victory against second seed Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals. It is the Romanian’s second ATP World Tour final, after finishing runner-up in Sofia earlier this year.

"I watched some against Cilic, he played great. Saw some against Zverev, he played great, too. He plays Federer, he plays great? I'm not sure. But anyway, I'm excited," Federer said. "He played a great match against Zverev. He served great when he needed to and then he had good variation from the baseline."

In 150 tour-level finals, Federer has never lost to someone ranked as low as Copil, who is currently World No. 93. The Swiss fell in championship matches to players ranked No. 87 twice, against Davide Sanguinetti at Milan in 2002 and Tommy Haas at Halle in 2012. Only one Basel champion — Jiri Hrebec, who captured the title in the tournament’s first edition in 1975 — did not break into the Top 10 in his career.

Did You Know?
Federer now has 70 match wins in Basel, including victories in 56 of his past 59 matches at the event.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Roger has won the Fan Favorite award for the 16th straight year.
Here's all the winners:

https://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/atp-awards-2018-djokovic-federer-nadal-tsitsipas-among-winners
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Normal Nitto ATP Finals, London 2018

Post by Cromar Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:12 am

Federer Eager To End Positive Season With Success In London

Roger Federer is aiming to capture his first Nitto ATP Finals trophy since 2011. © ATP World Tour

RF Tennis News 2018 - Page 18 Atpwtlogo-50x50ATP Staff  | November 09, 2018

Heading into the Nitto ATP Finals, Roger Federer took a moment to reflect on his 2018 season as he looks to end his year with a milestone 100th tour-level trophy at The O2 in London.

After a stunning 2017 season which saw the Swiss capture seven titles, including Grand Slam crowns at the Australian Open and Wimbledon, Federer was clear that his 2018 season has been a success as he heads into the elite eight-man event. After defending his Australian Open title to win his 20th major trophy in Januay, Federer has lifted three further titles this year and compiled a 46-8 tour-level record.

"If I would have known that last year, this would have been the season, I would have taken it," said Federer. "I am very happy that I won a Grand Slam. I am very happy that I played as well as I did throughout the season. Maybe Wimbledon and the US Open didn't go the way I was hoping, but those were really the only two disappointments of the season.

"I won a bunch of tournaments again and played great at the Australian Open. Again, I won my home tournament in Basel...

"I have just had a really solid season. I stayed injury free also, for most of the year, so I am actually very happy with this season so far."

With a record six titles at the Nitto ATP Finals, second-seeded Federer is eager to capture his first trophy at the season-ending tournament since 2011. Including his debut in 2002, the 99-time tour-level champion has competed in 15 of the past 16 editions of the event. Only in 2016, after cutting his season short to aid rehabilitation from knee surgery, has the Swiss not appeared at the season finale.

"I love playing this event. I always have, ever since I qualified for the very first time back in 2002," said Federer. "It was a massive highlight in my career to be amongst the best eight and I actually had a great run too, that first time in Shanghai."

Two of Federer's six triumphs in the unique competition have come in London, having lifted back-to-back titles at The 02 in 2010 and 2011. Playing in front of a packed crowd, in a world-renowned venue, has always provided Federer with the perfect end to a successful season. More than 250,000 fans attend the event annually, with global viewership figures reaching an average of 95 million viewers each year.

"Here at The O2 we have really had some great crowds, a beautiful, great venue and also some good matches too," said Federer.

Having hosted the event since 2009, when Nikolay Davydenko defeated Juan Martin del Potro in the championship match, the 10th edition of the event begins with questions over the future location of the tournament. With a contract in place until 2020 at The O2, plans for the future of the event, from 2021 onwards, will be announced early next year. Alongside a number of interested cities, London will be up for consideration when the ATP World Tour makes its decision not before March 2019.

"If [the tournament] stays I think it is definitely a good choice," said Federer. "I don't know what the options are. I think the options are clearly important to look at... If The O2 is happy and the crowds keep coming here to this venue and the Tour has a good deal, why not stay here?

"I don't see a reason to change, unless there is somewhere else. A city that really wants it badly and is really willing to come in and support the Tour in a major way for many years to come... I have enjoyed playing in a city that knows tennis very well and has got a strong media following. It has been a good place for us players to showcase our talents."

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal ATP Finals 2018 - RR1 (vs K. Nishikori)

Post by Cromar Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 am

It can only get better for Roger Federer from here, right?

ESPN.COM | November 11, 2018

LONDON -- At the official launch party for the world's top eight players at the Houses of Parliament in London on Friday evening, Roger Federer joked he had been losing to everyone in practice.

Maybe he saw some truth in the quip.

If his first match at the ATP World Tour Finals is any indication, this could be a rough week for Federer as he seeks not only the championship here, but his 100th career title. Something is going to have to change in the next 48 hours.

On Sunday, Federer fell to Kei Nishikori 7-6 (4), 6-3 on the first day of round-robin play. Federer's game was unusually disjointed. He committed 34 unforced errors and he was tetchy, impatient and, quite simply, frustrated. He even received a code violation for banging the ball into the crowd.

This wasn't the match we could have anticipated, especially considering Federer had beaten Nishikori twice in the past month, first in Shanghai, and then, just over a week ago, in Paris.

"I felt we both struggled throughout the first set," Federer said in afterward, almost immediately after the match. "You could tell it was sort of a first round. I had my chances maybe a bit more than he did. Then I started to feel better in the second set. I think we both did. The level went up.

"Unfortunately, I couldn't keep the lead that I got early. That was important at the end. That was the key of the match, that 10-minute swing at the end of the first [set] to maybe 1-all in the second."

Federer could have won the first set; he created several chances on Nishikori's serve but never forced a break point. The tiebreaker was a horror show as Federer fell behind 6-1 before Nishikori eventually closed it out 7-4.

Even a break at the start of the second set didn't help Federer, who handed it back almost immediately. And from then on, he never looked capable of turning things around, something that is rarely said of the 20-time Grand Slam winner.

"I've been feeling fine," Federer said. "It's just that practice has been a bit all over the place. Practiced in Queen's [Club], practiced on the outside courts here, then center as well. So it's not always exactly the same conditions. Overall I thought I'm hitting the ball OK. Warm-up today was totally fine.

Roger Federer fell in his ATP World Tour Finals opener for the fourth time in his career. AP Photo/Tim Ireland

"I think maybe we both had a bit of nerves, too, not knowing how to attack second serve. It's OK now, now that the first match is out of the way."

Nishikori didn't play his best, either. But it will go down as one of his best wins, his first against Federer since 2014. Believe it or not, Nishikori wouldn't have even qualified for the event if not for injuries to Rafael Nadal and Juan Martin del Potro. Nishikori began 2018 by playing in two Challenger Tour events to find his confidence after a serious wrist injury.

For Federer, the round-robin format means he's still alive. It's not the first time he has lost his first match at the ATP Finals. In 2013, he fell in his opener and managed to reach the semifinals. It also happened in 2007 (and he came back to win the tournament) and '08.

But Federer is 37 now, and despite his success this season, he has struggled to produce his best tennis on a consistent basis. Federer went four months without a title, a drought that was eventually snapped last month in his hometown of Basel, Switzerland.

At the pre-tournament news conferences Friday, Federer said he was ready for one last push for the year. "I hope I don't go on vacation with three losses. Let's put it that way."

To avoid that, he might need to beat both Kevin Anderson and Dominic Thiem, who played each other earlier Sunday, with Anderson prevailing 6-3, 7-6 (10).

On Tuesday, Federer plays Thiem, who leads the Swiss 2-1 in their career head-to-heads. They haven't played since 2016.

"I just know I need to do better than today," Federer said. "That's pretty much it."

Pretty straightforward insight from Federer, but after Sunday's performance, straightforward seems pretty complicated.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm posting a link to a translation of a French Radio Show. WARNING- read it only if you are comfortable with Roger being portrayed in a negative light. I found it interesting because I think there is a business side of Roger that I am not familiar with. The article also discusses his court allotment in all the GS. 
https://tennis.life/2018/11/11/federer-french-radio-show-criticism/
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum