Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018

+18
oldlady
Sherl
Lil_Jay
Darktemplar
StrongerThanAll
Márcia
cornnn92
Kop8zky
norinchi
InspiredTennis
ph∞be
Marly 103-20
federerworshipper
HeartoftheMatter
striker
fedled
Cromar
Steerpike60
22 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Normal Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 pm

During Roger's second match in IW, Jim Courier stated that the tickets for the Laver Cup are supposed to go on sale next Monday, March 19th and that Roger is supposed to be in Chicago with Tony Godsick to promote it.  So, I guess Roger is going to make a side trip to Chicago enroute to Miami.

I'm definitely planning to go to Chicago for this and will probably buy my tickets on Monday.  If anyone else is planning to go and wants to try and get tickets together so maybe we can have an RF group, let me know.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018

Post by Cromar Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:00 am

Good guess, Steerpike60! Smile  Roger will be in Chicago next week!

And he got millions of replies on Twitter!  Who needs Trip Advisor when your name is RF!   Hee hee
By the way, I didn't know that their deep dish pizza was a national dish in Chicago!  Wink Gif

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 pm

^^^ Yes, Chicago is known for their deep-dish pizza!
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:08 am

Roger was in Chicago today to promote the Laver Cup, which will take place at the United Center in September... and he had his deep dish pizza, too!   Thumbs up And guess what?... he shaved! Happy

Roger Federer and friends launch Laver Cup in Chicago

By Laver Cup
March 19, 2018

• Tickets on sale to the general public on Friday, March 23
  • Advance access for Chase cardholders on Tuesday, March 20

Roger Federer, 20-time Grand Slam champion and one of the greatest players of all time, was joined by the legendary Rod Laver, seven-time Grand Slam champion John McEnroe and top-ranked Australian male Nick Kyrgios in Chicago today to launch the Laver Cup, which will take place at the United Center from September 21-23.

Tickets for the highly-anticipated second edition of the Laver Cup, a unique team competition unlike any other in men’s tennis, go on sale Friday, March 23 at 10:00am Central Daylight Time (CDT) via LaverCup.com and Ticketmaster.com.

Tickets are expected to be in high demand so fans are advised to get in early to book for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

“I’m very excited to be here in Chicago today to launch the Laver Cup,” Federer said.

“The first tournament in Prague was very special for both the players and the fans and I can’t wait to play the Laver Cup here in the sports-mad city of Chicago.”

“Being part of Team Europe, with the legendary Björn Borg as our captain, and winning the first-ever Laver Cup was an incredible experience.

“It was amazing to team up with players who are normally your biggest rivals, and have the chance to play on the same side of the net and be members of the same team.

“I play against guys like Rafa (Nadal), Marin (Cilic), Sasha (Zverev), Dom (Thiem) and Tomas (Berdych) all the time, so to have them on my side, cheering me on, giving me advice and me doing the same for them, meant so much,” Federer continued.

Federer and Kyrgios last played each other at the Laver Cup. The passionate and tightly contested match was a thriller, with Federer sealing the win for Team Europe in a tiebreak 4-6 7-6(6) [11-9].

Federer and Kyrgios met up today at Chicago’s iconic Cloud Gate sculpture, where along with event namesake Rod Laver, and Team World captain, John McEnroe, they were officially welcomed to the city by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. The pair enjoyed a friendly hit in the stunning location, with an enthusiastic local crowd cheering on.

Roger Federer has a hit against Nick Kyrgios on a mini court in front of the Bean to launch Laver Cup 2018 tickets on-sale in Chicago. Photo: Ben Solomon

Today was Federer’s and Kyrgios’ first visit to Chicago, and the Laver Cup will mark the return of elite men’s tennis to the city for the first time in 27 years, when John McEnroe defeated his brother Patrick to win the Chicago Open in 1991.

“Chicago is a great sports city with a great sports tradition.  I’m really excited to be a part of bringing a big-time tennis event, with the biggest stars in our sport, to Chicago”, McEnroe said

“I’m relying on very passionate and knowledgeable tennis fans to support Team World to win the Laver Cup. As Captain of Team World, I’m in this to win and the home court advantage should be helpful.

“Last year Nick Kyrgios was a great team player and performer for Team World.  He gave everything he had and left it all on the court.  I’m very pleased to be able to name Nick as my first Team World player for the Laver Cup Chicago,” McEnroe continued.

There are just 185 days until the Laver Cup takes place at the United Center in Chicago – the countdown has begun.

Roger Federer enjoys a deep dish Chicago pizza with John McEnroe, Nick Krygios and Rod Laver ahead of the Laver Cup 2018 launch. Photo: Ben Solomon

Laver Cup tickets

• Multi-session tickets offering the same seat for all five sessions (over three days) go on sale Friday, March 23 at 10:00am Central  Daylight Time (CDT) via LaverCup.com and Ticketmaster.com
  • Advance access for Chase cardholders. Use your Chase debit or credit card to purchase advance tickets from Tuesday, March 20 at 10:00am CDT to Wednesday, March 21 at 11:59pm CDT*: BOOK HERE
  • Ticket prices start at: USD $260.00
  • A limited number of hospitality packages are also available
    *Limit eight (8) per customer. Subject to availability. Limited time offer while supplies last.

The legend of Rod Laver
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Roger arrived in Chicago with his own dedicated jet... Laver Cup!!  Pretty Cool!  Surprised

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by fedled Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:05 am

Roger, Johnny Mac, Rod the Rocket and Nick Kyrgios, along with the Mayor of Chicago and a presenter, giving the Laver Cup presentation today in a live stream via Laver Cup twitter, their facebook page and Periscope tv

https://www.facebook.com/LaverCup/videos/1817663694970803/
Roger meeting the fans in the Windy City
Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018 2018_c10

Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018 2018_c15
Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018 2018_c16
Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018 2018_c14
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Post by fedled Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:12 am

Video of Roger landing, the presentation to the Chicago media (slightly underwhelming I thought - no sound early but when the talking starts, it's okay)

CBS News item:

This is one I've not seen, seems to be a summary of the day Very Happy
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Got my tickets so I'm there!
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:10 pm

A Day With Roger Federer: A Tennis Ambassador’s Work Is Never Done
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY MARCH 20, 2018

CHICAGO — Day was breaking in the California desert, and Roger Federer was yawning on the tarmac.  How much sleep?
“Five hours,” he said. “Not enough after a match like that.”

The final of the BNP Paribas Open had indeed been quite a test: a 2-hour-42-minute duel with Juan Martín del Potro that was out of tune with Federer’s crescendo season. He ended up losing in a lopsided third-set tiebreaker after serving for the title and holding three match points at 5-4 in the final set.

“It’s always disappointing when you lose having had match points,” Federer said. “I think I was a bit lucky to even get into a third set, and he was a bit lucky to get to the tiebreak and finish it off. Sadly, I lost my game a bit at the end.”

But that was Sunday afternoon. This was Monday morning, early Monday morning, and Federer was back on the move: arriving at sunrise at the Jacqueline Cochran Regional Airport in Thermal, a short drive from Indian Wells.

Along for the ride were Tony Godsick, his agent; Alessandro Sant’Albano, Godsick’s associate; and Severin Luethi, Federer’s coach, who looked even sleepier than Federer.

Federer’s wife, Mirka, and their four children were set to travel separately to Florida for the Miami Open. But Federer was breaking away for a few hours, catching a private jet to Chicago to promote the Laver Cup, the team event that he helped create with Godsick and played at last year in Prague.

This was a long-planned detour, but it also ended up serving as a way to quickly change the chip after the final in Indian Wells, Federer’s first loss in 2018.

“Roger’s life, if it’s not hectic, it’s not Roger’s life, because it’s all he knows,” Godsick said.

He has been with Federer since 2005, leaving IMG with him in 2013 to form Team8. Their families are exceptionally close: Godsick’s wife, the former tennis star Mary Joe Fernandez, is a godmother of Federer’s children.

But today is about business, and Federer, back at No. 1 at age 36, is clearly pushing himself to make it happen after back-to-back three-set matches on Saturday and Sunday.

“It’s passion and a love for the game,” Federer said. “And Laver Cup is something that is very dear to me, so clearly I always have extra energy for the Laver Cup. For my own career, I don’t play as much anymore, and when I am there, it’s all out and full speed, and then I need the time away again.”

After takeoff at 7 a.m., there was no shortage of legroom or long yawns. There was an unsuccessful attempt at a nap in his chair, a modest shared breakfast (burritos, steel-cut oatmeal and juice) and plenty of chatter about this being Federer’s first trip to Chicago. He then went into a separate cabin at 8:30 a.m., closed the drapes and took a 45-minute official nap that may or may not have included actual napping.

“He would have been up early anyway today because he’s got four kids, and they are still adjusting from European time,” Godsick said. “He also had to get to Miami. We spend a lot of time maximizing time, because he doesn’t have that much time. This is a four-hour detour. There are worse things to do, but sure it’s hard.”

As the plane approached Midway International Airport after about three hours in the air, Federer warmed up for chilly Chicago with a quick quiz.

N.F.L. team? “Bears,” he answered.
N.H.L. team? “Blackhawks.”
Baseball team? “Cubs.”
And? “White Sox,” he said triumphantly after a pause, dragging out the vowels in his best American accent.

There was no need to test him on the N.B.A. Federer has been an N.B.A. fan since boyhood and was 16 when Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen won their last title with the Bulls in 1998.

A visit to United Center, the home arena of the Bulls and the Blackhawks and the site of the Laver Cup in September, was a big part of Monday’s dense itinerary, which was focused on building interest for the event and creating social-media content.

Federer walked down the plane’s stairway shortly after 1 p.m. Chicago time after selecting a fresh set of clothes.  He was soon at a deep-dish pizza parlor downtown for a photo op with the 79-year-old Rod Laver, John McEnroe and the Australian star Nick Kyrgios.

A former No. 1-ranked player, McEnroe still wears many a tennis hat and is the captain of the Laver Cup’s Team World, which lost to Federer, Rafael Nadal and Team Europe in last year’s inaugural edition. Kyrgios, 22, was one of the most enthusiastic members of McEnroe’s team in Prague, leading the cheers and nearly defeating Federer in the final and decisive match of the competition.

“The funnest week of my career so far, better than the Grand Slams,” said Kyrgios, who for all his evident talent has yet to get past the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam tournament. If he comes closer to fulfilling his massive potential, he and his generation will be critical to the Laver Cup’s uncertain future.

After proving Laver Cup could be done, Godsick and Federer now must prove it can be sustained, both economically and competitively, in a sport with a full calendar. Any new event that lacks ranking points and mandatory participation is vulnerable to irrelevance.

With Federer still near the peak of his powers, Chicago should be a success, and Godsick expects to sell out United Center for all three days of competition. Rahm Emanuel, the Chicago mayor, was part of the push to secure the event for the city, which has long been without a men’s or women’s main tour event. Emanuel joined Federer and the others on Monday at a news conference. There were also cameo appearances from Pippen and the German soccer star Bastian Schweinsteiger.  Schweinsteiger plays for the Chicago Fire of M.L.S. and became a parent last week with his wife, the retired tennis player Ana Ivanovic. Pippen, 52, served as chief tour guide for Federer and Co. as they visited the Bulls’ and the Blackhawks’ locker rooms and the statues of Pippen and Jordan at United Center.

Federer said he got goose bumps when he met Pippen and got a few more chills as he walked into the arena for the first time, though not because of the sheet of ice still in place after Sunday night’s N.H.L. game.  “It’s like a multiple layer cake,” Federer said after gazing up and up. “In Europe, we don’t have those very often, where you have suites and another layer and another layer. Usually it stops after two or three, but here it keeps going. I think it’s going to be epic.”

The Laver Cup’s epicness will be determined in large part by who actually decides to play. The competition comes less than two weeks after the United States Open. Might some European and Asian stars — some of whom, like Hyeon Chung of South Korea, are represented by IMG — choose to save their energy for other late-season events?

“I think that’s going to always be an open question a little bit,” Federer said. “I hope it’s not going to happen. I hope by showcasing and giving them such an amazing platform and being part of something quite
unique, being on a team together, that they would not want to miss it. There comes a bit of sacrifice with doing something like this.”

The Laver Cup offers prize money to the winning team and sizable participation fees on a graduated scale. Team8 has arranged for private-jet travel to and from Europe to encourage European players like Nadal and Alexander Zverev to play again and others, Novak Djokovic in particular, to play for the first time.  Djokovic and Andy Murray, both injured last year, did not take part, and it is unclear whether they would have done so anyway.

Federer, meanwhile, continues to fly improbably high as the oldest No. 1 in ATP history. How long can he defy gravity?  “When I started with him, I made many more predictions than I do now, and I was very often wrong,” Luethi said. “I am ready to be surprised by him. I’m actually expecting to be surprised by him, and I think the best thing is to leave it open and not try to put fences around it.”

For Federer, who will most likely skip the clay-court season for a second straight year, the key is internal at this stage.

“When you go to, say, Rotterdam, you need to go there with fire,” he said. “If you’re not excited at this age, don’t do it. It’s that simple.”
Creating and playing in the Laver Cup, his potential legacy event, has helped feed the fire. But then, so has his personality: extroverted and still curious about new people and new experiences.

“Think about today,” he said on his way back to Midway Airport. “We left with the sunrise, beautiful weather in Indian Wells, and we get here and it’s cold and a totally different vibe. That’s the beauty of travel, of seeing different places. I love it. I do. I still love it.”

With that, he was soon successfully fighting the Chicago wind to open the car door and heading up the stairway.  Last stop on this genuinely manic Monday: Miami.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/sports/tennis/roger-federer-laver-cup-chicago.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftennis&action=click&contentCollection=tennis®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks for all the goodies, Steerpike60! I hope you'll have a great time in September, lucky you! That's something I would love to do too, but I can't plan that far ahead right now.

Great article from Clarey! Now we know what Roger did on Monday... and he didn't only eat pizza, gosh! Smile  
Always so busy, I don't know how he does it, really! He is amazing! Sunny
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 am

Tweet from Soccer star Basti Schweinsteiger, Ana Ivanovic's husband. Was happy to hear they became parents for the first time last week!  Love Eyes  Bunny  

His name is Luka...

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:11 am

Roger seems pretty excited about that autographed ball!... It's bigger than a  Smile !

Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018 DYy0wNuVoAAi2B_

Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018 DYy01OqUQAAzSpL

Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018 DYy02aVU8AAh7x_

Laver Cup 2018, Chicago - Sep 21-23, 2018 DYy04D6UQAA3DOf
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Roger's post from yesterday announcing that regular tickets are going on sale today...

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Someone told me they saw a picture of Rafa with his Laver Cup Trophy. Has anyone heard if Roger has one? Thanks!!!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Of course, if Nadal has one, the others would too, no?  Laughing

A Cup in hand

January 22, 2018

They battled for three days to get their hands on the Laver Cup. Now, each player from the winning Team Europe side will take home their own Laver Cup trophy.

See full article here: A Cup in hand
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum