Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2017

+46
forummember
oldlady
striker
Kop8zky
federerworshipper
skumars
Indybeck71
Márcia
Cromar
Matarsakolito
Lucycanada
InspiredTennis
FedFFL
Sparkle
Federite
MaxUS
UES
angellT
cappucc19o
vrazkar
StrongerThanAll
anutam
fedled
Rufus1
Marcizio14
michelle88
oldfan
tvradke
RMGuillot
Loti
schneewitchen
Katarina_YYZ
avasbar
RogerNo.1
ph∞be
LaRubia
Vinnie
cornnn92
cat29
norinchi
Sherl
wcr
Aprilp20n
mariah1
Steerpike60
Lil_Jay
50 posters

Page 19 of 39 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 39  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2017

Post by Vinnie Mon May 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Roger will play on clay again, and he will win titles as well. Congrats to Thiem and Zverev for taking out the Ogre & Obnoxious, respectively, in Rome. I will cheer for any player not name Novak and Rafa in the upcoming dirt slam. Hope the nextgen takes advantage of Roger's absence...as he will play RG next year and will likely win it.

Vinnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Mon May 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Vinnie wrote:Roger will play on clay again, and he will win titles as well. Congrats to Thiem and Zverev for taking out the Ogre & Obnoxious, respectively, in Rome. I will cheer for any player not name Novak and Rafa in the upcoming dirt slam. Hope the nextgen takes advantage of Roger's absence...as he will play RG next year and will likely win it.

x 1000000000000 to this post!
Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 pm

In his pretournament presser for Halle, Roger identifies that W has been the big goal for himself since the semi loss to Raonic last year - everything he did, including no RG, was for this.

Very interesting article based on this presser by the German tennis writer/blogger René Denfeld.

http://www.insideout-tennis.de/federer-previewing-wimbledon-2017/

Title:  Federer previewing Wimbledon: "It’s open – to some extent“

Direct quotes from Roger (no idea if from the German or English part of the presser)

„Well, naturally Wimbledon is the big goal of this season right now. But it’s been this way ever since I lost the semifinals against Raonic in the previous year. Me knee wasn’t well, so my goal was to be 100% healthy again by the time Wimbledon (2017) is near“, Federer said on Sunday afternoon.

„So far I am, I’m completely on track. Hence the results in Stuttgart and Halle are almost of minor importance.“

„Well, the goal was for me to be physically healthy. But for me to be mentally, game-wise and physically ready, I need to play matches and feel well. That’s why this week is very important and that’s why I’m focusing on this week only. The good thing is, I’m not injured. Nothing is hurting and I can give it my all full throttle and don’t have to hesitate due to anything during my matches. That’s exactly how I want to feel a few weeks before Wimbledon. And you know, whenever I played well here in Halle, I also played successfully in Wimbledon. But that doesn’t mean I’m in Wimbledon already mentally. Not at all. I know it’s around the corner, but I do have the feeling that mentally I’m here right now and it’s my first round match that matters and nothing else.“

There were lots more thoughts from Roger about Wimbledon, for himself and others - after all that is what the article was about!! - But there needs to be some reason for you to click on the article and support the author's work!!!  (And W is still a long, in tennis terms, away)

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Congratulations, Roger!  Cheering

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Halle 2017 - R1

Post by Cromar Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:14 am

06/20/2017
GERRY WEBER OPEN

Victory No. 1,100

Roger Federer gets going at full throttle

Short-term, Roger Federer had to adjust to his new opponant. But that did not slow him down at all. Against Lucky Loser Yuichi Sugita he got going full throttle and won after just 51 minutes in straight sets 6:3, 6:1. It was the Swiss' 1,100. victory on the tour.

The Japanese had jumped in for Yen-Hsun Lu from Taiwan, who had had to give up due to injury. In the second longest match in the history of the GERRY WEBER OPEN Yuichi Sugita had lost his qualifying match against the Russian Mikhail Youzhny  6:7(5), 7:6(11), 6:7(12). So he was well-rehearsed on grass, but that didn't help a lot. He made an effort, fought for every ball, but as soon as his shot was too short, the top-seed World's No. 5 exploited that without mercy. A break at 3:1 was enough for Roger Federer and after only 21 minutes he had his first set point 6:3.

And the Swissman didn't take his foot off the accelerator in the second round, either. Even though Yuichi Sugita could fend off a few break points, he wasn't able to win his service in this set. So Roger Federer had his first match point at a score of 5:0, 40:0. This wasn't a reason for the Japenese to give up, though. He fought on, fended off the three match points and in fact got the break to make it 1:5. But Federers victory was only persponed by this. The forth match point was there shortly afterward to bring it to 6:3, 6:1.

"I had never played him. And playing against me, all are always very motivated. That doesn't make it easy. But I'm very satisfied. That was a good start into the GERRY WEBER OPEN",  a clearly satisfied Roger Federer said after the match. The top-favourite will now meet Mischa Zverev in the Round of 16.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Could not resist posting this article even if the publisher is sketchy.

Will Roger Federer and grass swing be able to sweep away the boredom?
24 Jun 2017 -  View: 3485
by Lorenzo Ciotti

Roger Federer´s return on tennis court coincides practically with the beginning of the grass swing, and the most important season of every tennis year, which culminates with the World´s most famour fortnight at the All England Club.

After three months of absence, in which the Swiss skipped all the clay season (in order to play on the grass in a good physical shape), his absence, along with Serena Williams, had some effect on ATP and WTA tours. Especially in terms of level of play and spectacular matches.

It is no coincidence that, since the Swiss took a break, and Serena found out to be pregnant, the two tennis tours had fallen into a sort of depression, in addition to the bad performances of Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray, and the lack of real leaders among women´s.

Clay swing has been one of the worst in recent years. Some of the most anticipated tennis played have disappointed all the expectations. Little fun, too much background players and protagonists such as Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray evanescent as a fog.

All culminated with the worst French Open in the last twenty years. The only one able to save the season on red was Rafael Nadal, the absolute dominator of the last three months, and protagonist of legendary victories. For the rest, three months in the whole boring.

Will Roger Federer and the return of the grass season be able to sweep away the boredom? Our answer is yes. First factor: Roger Federer is the most beloved champion in tennis history. Seeing him play, especially on grass, is always a great pleasure, for crowds, fans and media.

And his return on the court in Stuttgart is the most important moment of this tennis week. Second factor, grass season is the shortest, but the most important and the most followed, especially, of course, the Wimbledon tournament.

Not only Federer will return, but also Victoria Azarenka, and hopefully in a full recovery of Petra Kvitova. Third factor. During the grass season, Federer and Nadal will be challenging for an important goal: the fight for the first place in the ATP Rankings at the end of the year.

A clash between titans, which could have its climax right at the Championships. In the first three months of 2017, Roger dreamed of his fans, returning to winning a Slam after five years, winning also Indian Wells and Miami, and ouclassed three times Nadal.

Indeed, this season, the only really able to challenge against the Spaniard was just the Swiss. All on very fast surfaces. In the following three months, as we have seen, Rafa was the absolute ruler. He has dreamed his fans and media, crying during the awards ceremony in Paris.

Also, hopefully during the grass swing, the level of tennis players like Murray, Djokovic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Juan Martin del Potro will rise again. Having considered these factors, there are all the premises for which the next month is the most anticipated and (hopefully!) Fun of the year, able to give us great emotions and matches.

On the other hand, when Roger Federer is on a grass court, the show is assured!

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Editors_Thoughts/44420/will-roger-federer-and-grass-swing-be-able-to-sweep-away-the-boredom/
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:38 pm

This is excellent. With Roger, the show is assured. I add: no matter the kind of court.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:26 am

Roger Federer set to be Halle event ambassador in his post-career

Author: Gatto Luigi | 2017-06-25 09:00

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Roger_Federer/44748/roger-federer-set-to-be-halle-event-ambassador-in-his-postcareer/
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:32 am

Halle 2017: 13th semi-final not unlucky for Roger Federer as he battles by Khachanov into 11th final
Roger Federer is through to the final in Halle for a 13th time

Marianne Bevis
By Marianne Bevis in Halle

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2017/06/roger-federer-latest-news-karen-khachanov-final/
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:38 am

Roger Federer rolls back years to set up Halle final against Alexander Zverev

• Federer beats Karen Khachanov 6-4, 7-6 (5) in Gerry Weber Open

Roger Federer defeated Karen Khachanov 6-4, 7-6 (5) to reach the Gerry Weber Open final in Halle, where he will play Alexander Zverev.

Kevin Mitchell at Queen's Club

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/24/marin-cilic-muller-aegon-championships-queens-club

Goes on to discuss Queens
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:26 am

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 19 P056xz0j

Maclagan: Current Federer form "remarkable"

BBC.co.uk

25 June 2017

Andy Murray's former coach Miles Maclagan says Roger Federer's current form at the age of 35 is "remarkable".

Federer now has 92 career titles after winning a record ninth title at the Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Germany.

Maclagan said:

"I think Federer has moved the goalposts, not just in tennis but probably throughout sport".

"People in their thirties, maybe 31, 32 when traditionally we're thinking 'well, he's going to start wrapping it up soon' and think well maybe I've got four, five years."

Federer has won four titles this year, a tally matched only by long-time rival Rafael Nadal.

This clip is originally from 5 live Sport, 25 June 2017.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:33 am

A 'dream' article..  Very Happy

Roger Federer dispatches Alexander Zverev to secure ninth Halle title

• World No5 wraps up 6-1, 6-3 victory in statement of intent for Wimbledon
• Petra Kvitova wins Aegon Classic just six months after stabbing incident

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 19 3466
Roger Federer lifts the trophy after winning his ninth Halle title, defeating Alexander Zverev
in the final. Photograph: Carmen Jaspersen/AFP/Getty Images

By Kevin Mitchell - TheGuardian.com

Sunday 25 June 2017

Roger Federer, to the delight of his fans and despair of his rivals, installed himself as an undeniably strong candidate to win Wimbledon for the eighth time when he blitzed the 20-year-old Alexander Zverev in 53 minutes of the Halle final on Sunday.

With Andy Murray hidden away repairing a game that remains worryingly short of the pleasing consistency he needs to keep his title, the three-times champion Novak Djokovic heading for Eastbourne to do a similar job on his own, even more fragile tennis and Rafael Nadal – who has lost to players outside the top 100 on his last four visits to the All England Club – biding his time at home in Majorca, the ageless Federer has emerged to revive memories of past glories.

He was his old irresistible self, winning in Halle for the ninth time, mesmerising Zverev 6-1, 6-3 to the point of near-resignation. The German wunderkind, already 10th in the world, who announced his arrival when he beat Federer in the semi-final as a teenager a year ago, had no answers to the 2015 champion’s familiar sharpness at the net, and power and precision at the baseline. The player who destroyed Djokovic on the clay of Rome a month ago disintegrated on grass but remains probably the most dangerous young outsider at Wimbledon.

Federer, however, is the man of the day, the man of the year, in fact: a slam tournament champion for the 18th time after prevailing in Melbourne when nobody – including himself – gave him much chance of getting past the quarter-finals. He has won three titles since. If he can hold his body and spirit together for a fortnight at Wimbledon, the universal praise will resemble the anointing of a saint.

He said courtside: “It’s great to get off to a good start in the finals and then remind yourself that you’ve been playing good tennis all week. You start swinging freely, things start clicking, you realise your opponent is under pressure and you keep pressuring him. I’m, like, on cloud nine right now. I’m not sure if I’ll ever get a chance to win this again, so it’s important to enjoy this one.”

That last sentiment should be politely dismissed. Nadal completed an extraordinary third La Décima of the clay swing at Roland Garros, having wrapped up his 10th titles at Monte Carlo and Barcelona, so Federer will be desperate to join him at that rarefied level in Halle. And who knows? Maybe if he won an eighth Wimbledon he would push on for a hitherto unimaginable 10th championship there, too.

All that is the stuff of dreams for his adoring army. Back in the hard present another 35-year-old, Feliciano López, shared at least some of the Sunday spotlight when he had an altogether tougher struggle winning his first Aegon Championship at the Queen’s Club in London.

Article continues about Queen's and Kvitova here... TheGuardian.com

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:04 am

ROAD TO WIMBLEDON
Halle 2017: Grass master Roger Federer sails past Sascha Zverev to claim ninth title
Roger Federer beats Alexander Zverev in two sets to win the Gerry Weber Open in Halle for a ninth time as he now turns his focus to Wimbledon

Marianne Bevis
By Marianne Bevis in Halle
Sunday 25 June 2017, 14:41 UK

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2017/06/roger-federer-latest-news-halle-open-2017-final-zverev/

avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:26 am

We have our first bit of 2018 news... Roger will be playing Hopman Cup again!

Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:18 am

avasbar / cromar, thank you for the articles. Very Happy
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:46 am

^^Hopman Cup again! Yeah!
That is good news- such a fun event too for us to watch. And seems its gels perfectly with Roger to put him in the perfect mood for AO - and the year.
Glad he's going with Belinda again too.
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 39 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum