Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2017

+46
forummember
oldlady
striker
Kop8zky
federerworshipper
skumars
Indybeck71
Márcia
Cromar
Matarsakolito
Lucycanada
InspiredTennis
FedFFL
Sparkle
Federite
MaxUS
UES
angellT
cappucc19o
vrazkar
StrongerThanAll
anutam
fedled
Rufus1
Marcizio14
michelle88
oldfan
tvradke
RMGuillot
Loti
schneewitchen
Katarina_YYZ
avasbar
RogerNo.1
ph∞be
LaRubia
Vinnie
cornnn92
cat29
norinchi
Sherl
wcr
Aprilp20n
mariah1
Steerpike60
Lil_Jay
50 posters

Page 24 of 39 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 39  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2017

Post by avasbar Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Ive just spent the whole day driving and this is a real treat to relax to as I catch up with you all.
Thanks so much Phoebe. Smile

avasbar

Back to top Go down

Normal The international press applauds Roger's 8th Wimbledon Title

Post by Cromar Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 pm

A compilation of newspapers from around the world hailing King Roger's 8th Wimbledon title (and 19th GS)...

Click image to see full size

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 24 DE9vgiMXkAE5B4N
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Thanks Cromar. Do you know if any N American Magazine had him on their cover?
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by RMGuillot Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:33 am

Fantastic analysis, about why Roger is the GOAT. It's in  Spanish, i'll try to translate and summarize during the week.

https://youtu.be/LRRHIrbPwXg

RMGuillot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Roger will be at the Arthur Ash Kids Day... Looking forward to a fun day!  Very Happy

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:02 pm

"The first time I saw Roger" by Andy Roddick...

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:48 pm

ph∞be wrote:Thanks Cromar. Do you know if any N American Magazine had him on their cover?

I don't really know... haven't seen any, other than the French Tennis Magazine No 488 (which I had posted on the French forum) with a clever design of the great "8". I don't know if it's available in Canada, but it can be purchased online:

Digital format (4,80 €):   https://www.tennismag.com/produit/numero-488-numerique/

Paper format (6,00 € + 6.00 € for shipping):   https://www.tennismag.com/produit/numero-488/

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 24 DFB66cgXUAAbeRV
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:18 pm

We wouldn't want to mess up this beautiful pattern, wouldn't we, Roger?  Wink Gif

From the Australian Tennis Magazine...  

"From #FrenchOpen and #Wimbledon history to the latest ATM.
Please welcome Rafael #Nadal and Roger #Federer to our new GS special"

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 24 DFzhbg1XkAE-m74

And the cover...

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 24 DFzQ6ecUIAAX1s-

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:21 pm

No doubt it takes more than just grace to be Roger Federer!  Wink Gif

10 Signs Of Highly Successful Leaders With Grit

Brian Dodd on July 26, 2017

The title of this post, 10 Signs Of Highly Successful Leaders With Grit, is misleading.  Because you cannot have success without grit.  It is inherent in successful leaders.

Angela Duckworth in her excellent book Grit: The Power Of Passion And Perseverance says, “Talent x Effort = Skill.  Skill x Effort = Achievement.”  L. Jon Wertheim in the July 24th of Sports Illustrated noted, “For all the gushing – not wrongly – about grace, it’s often another one-syllable gr word that is just as responsible for success: grit.  We fix our gave on the bells and whistles of talent, not the effort to extract it.  We’re so seduced by the outcome that it distracts us from admiring the process.  Grit is the real engine of greatness. Grit balances elegance and lavishness. Grit is what enables the winner to alchemize their native gifts into results.”

As I continued reading Wertheim’s article on Wimbledon champion Roger Federer, I gleaned the following 10 Signs Of Highly Successful Leaders With Grit:

1. Gritty leaders refuse to give up.
  2. Gritty leaders are patient.  They are steady and methodical.
  3. Duckworth adds, “[Grit] is a combination of passion and perseverance for a singularly important goal.”
  4. Gritty leaders are continual learners. Federer constantly retreats to his basement where he experiments with new techniques and equipment.
  5. Gritty leaders are often absent of drama.  Federer’s coach Paul Annacone said, “He doesn’t let the emotion of the moment, pro or con, sway him.  He has this incredibly short memory.  What just happened doesn’t matter. Roger hits an incredible shot – or he makes a mistake.  Doesn’t matter.  He just moves on without a huge, amount of emotion and just plays the next point.”
  6. Gritty leaders make the necessary sacrifices needed for success.  For example, Federer has chosen to forego activities such as skiing because of the potential of injuries.
  7. Gritty leaders has a relentless work ethic.  Similar to most top flight athletes, Federer maintains an exhaustive practice and workout schedule.
  8. Gritty leaders have more sustained success than others.  This was the 36-year-old Federer’s eighth Wimbledon championship and 19th major title.  In fact, there was a 14-year span between his first and eighth championships.  Federer said, “Honestly, I’m incredibly surprised how well this year is going, how well I’m feeling, how I’m managing tougher situations, where my level of play is on a daily basis.”
  9. Gritty leaders are fueled by a love of what they do.  37-year-old Venus Williams said, “I love what I do.  I still like the challenge of being better today than I was yesterday.”
  10. Gritty leaders do not solely rely on their talent.  Federer concluded by saying, “Yes, I was blessed with a lot of talent.  But I also had to work for it.  Talent only gets you that far.”

What is one thing you can implement from this list which will make you a more gritty leader?

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:28 am

The role that Mirka plays in Roger's career was the subject of discussion in the latest Jon Wertheim's 'Mail Bag'.  

Here is the snippet, including a video of Mirka and Roger playing in the Hopman Cup in 2002. I enjoyed watching the match, it's not often we see Mirka playing tennis, but this was a tough match for them. Hewitt was really flying out there!... No wonder, he had just become world No 1!

Given the backlash that Johnny Mac received for his Serena comments and the PC environment we now inhabit, where is the appreciation and recognition for the power and sway of Mirka Federer? Or is her story "ignored" because as a "stay at home (while traveling the world)" mother of four who cares for the family while her husband reaches historic heights not the narrative the PC and/or women's movement wants to promote?

I realize that is a sensitive question/topic which may invite vitriol but I think it is totally fair. Roger himself came out and said one of the main reasons he would consider retirement is if Mirka came to him and indicated she was tired of the traveling and life on the road. When I heard that it made me immediately realize that even though we focus on him and his great accomplishments, let's not forget that SHE makes much of this possible by being supportive, loving, caring, inspiring all while managing the household of six. To me, and yes, my wife stays at home to care for our four kids, that makes her just as powerful of a woman as any female CEO in the world.
—Matt Waters, Florida

• I don't think it’s particularly controversial nor do I think the story is ignored. No question that some of Federer’s success—as he is quick to admit—owes to the support and “buy-in” of his spouse.

Here’s what I wrote for SI in 2009 when Federer won Wimbledon: “She dislikes being photographed and has gone years without giving an interview, even to her hometown newspaper in Switzerland. Mirka Federer (née Vavrinec) is, however, a vital—the vital—figure behind the relentless success of her husband, Roger. The de facto chief of staff of Federer, LLC, she's rarely seen without her Blackberry in hand….. A former pro player who cracked the top 100 before her career was ruined by a chronic foot injury in 2002, she sometimes practices with Roger before his matches and is always able to talk shop. ‘I developed faster, grew faster with her,’ says Roger, who has been with Mirka since meeting her at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney and married her in a small ceremony in his hometown, Basel, on April 11. "She has been with me day in and day out, throughout the world, and has helped me considerably as a person."

I often feel like this gets left out of the story: Mirka was a top 100 player who was getting into the main draws of Slams. Imagine how much she knows. The frustration of rain delays. The pain of double-faulting on break point. The uncoolness of an opponent’s dubious bathroom break. The transition from clay to grass. It must be immensely helpful to have a spouse so intimately familiar with your line of work.

While trying to find Mirka Federer’s career high ranking (76) I came across this bit of video gold. “Hewitt/Molik vs. Federer/Vavrinec.” The courtside interview is worth the price of admission:

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:40 am

^^^
Thanks, cromar. Beautiful to watch. What a woman, Mirka.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 am

Roger is back on court per https://twitter.com/camerlengo73  !!

Given his tweets, it would seem he was allowed to be at the practise.

Suggestion:  The photos did not embed well - If you click on the photo it will take you directly to the tweet where you can see them properly, particularly if you then click on individual photos.

So I guess that is Roger's non-answer re schedule for the scheduling thread!!!  Not that he could say anything differently to a fan ahead of any official announcement!!!  Anything to read into Pierre's presence??

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 am

^^^ Yeah, I read those tweets earlier. I find it so bizarre that Roger would still not know whether he was going to play Montreal. Seems to me that he knows and is just not saying. Surely if the whole family were heading to Montreal in the next few days, plans would already have to be settled. And if Roger is not going... why wait to say so?

This just all seems strange to me.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 am

Not reading anything into Pierre but am wondering why USO balls and not Cincy
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 am

Steerpike60 wrote:^^^ Yeah, I read those tweets earlier.  I find it so bizarre that Roger would still not know whether he was going to play Montreal.  Seems to me that he knows and is just not saying.  Surely if the whole family were heading to Montreal in the next few days, plans would already have to be settled.  And if Roger is not going... why wait to say so?

This just all seems strange to me.

I am very sure that Roger knows.  However, he cannot say anything different until he does it officially.  Hotels have been booked ages ago, per TD, but are easily cancelled.

If he is not playing, perhaps, as I mentioned in the schedule thread, he is waiting until Murray has confirmed either his participation or not, allowing the TD to make both announcements on the same day.  I posted a link in the schedule thread about the TC press release announcing seeds.  Of-course, both Roger and Murray were on it, but the paragraph amplifying the situation mentioned Rafa and Milos by name.  Roger and Andy were conspicuous by their absences.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Another picture from practise today

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 39 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 39  Next