Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2017

+46
forummember
oldlady
striker
Kop8zky
federerworshipper
skumars
Indybeck71
Márcia
Cromar
Matarsakolito
Lucycanada
InspiredTennis
FedFFL
Sparkle
Federite
MaxUS
UES
angellT
cappucc19o
vrazkar
StrongerThanAll
anutam
fedled
Rufus1
Marcizio14
michelle88
oldfan
tvradke
RMGuillot
Loti
schneewitchen
Katarina_YYZ
avasbar
RogerNo.1
ph∞be
LaRubia
Vinnie
cornnn92
cat29
norinchi
Sherl
wcr
Aprilp20n
mariah1
Steerpike60
Lil_Jay
50 posters

Page 33 of 39 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2017

Post by Márcia Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:39 pm

^^^
He never said he was 100%, but that he hoped his back would heal from match to match. That's what I understood. Let's hope.

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Yep, fingers crossed. Wink Gif

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerNo.1 Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Rufus1 wrote:Roger further tweeted about it.  I am looking at the lack of swarms of people around his practise and think how refreshing and relaxing that must be for him.  Practise completed but without the fishbowl.

That handful of gawkers was very lucky indeed.
RogerNo.1
RogerNo.1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm a bit superstitious, and I don't like to see him wearing those "Federer/Jordan special edition" shoes...
Last time that he did the same at the USO (can't remember the year), the tournament didn't end well for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Another from yesterday's practise

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYcG-qSneq_/?taken-by=mrsjillzarin

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 33 21148174_118381892112622_6209524538141573120_n

mrsjillzarin
Verified
Central Park

mrsjillzarin  Guess who played #tennis with us in #centralpark this morning at the last minute?? That's right ! @rogerfederer fans went nuts. The 30 or so who saw him! He had a small Entourage but was down to earth and very kind to the kids. Good luck Rog! #usopen #tennischannel

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:11 am

While this article is primarily about the tight Youzhny match, Roger must also have been asked about the practise in Central Park.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/open/2017/08/31/us-open-roger-federer-beats-mikhail-youzhny-five-sets/622627001/

Title:  U.S. Open: Roger Federer survives another five-set test to defeat Mikhail Youzhny
Author:  Sandra Harwitt

Here are some quotes about that famous practise.

He asked the USTA officials if they could find a place where he could practice without having to make the trek out to Queens from Manhattan. Presto: Federer was at the Central Park courts to the delight of tennis hackers who were playing nearby and not used to a legend occupying one of the other courts.

"I really liked the idea of playing in Central Park for the first time," he said. "We tried it out. It was perfect. I was really happy. It was really a totally different experience in the sense that when I finished practice, that was fun. If only all practices were like this. I really enjoyed myself.

"I think having a fun practice session, being in a totally different surrounding like yesterday, where all 20 courts just stopped playing, came to watch you play," he added. "I don't know. It was kind of really different, you know. People were just happy to see you there, meet you, talk to you, maybe get a photo. They didn't care about autographs."

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:53 am

A kinda cute article.
Dont agree with her last para tho!

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/9/1/16240360/roger-federer-us-open-comforting-sports-ideal-dad
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:42 am

The hype has officially started!  Embarassed

Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer Steady the Course Toward a Historic Meeting

By BEN ROTHENBERG - The New York Times | Sept. 3, 2017

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 33 03tennislate-dress-master768
Roger Federer won in straight sets against Feliciano López on Saturday. Credit Don Emmert/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images  

After a shaky first week, the stumbles of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer suddenly smoothed Saturday. Each turned in his most convincing performance of the tournament, buoying hopes that they might finally face off at the United States Open for the first time in their careers. ...

Read more here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/03/sports/tennis/rafael-nadal-roger-federer-us-open.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Thought that others might enjoy this article talking about the difference between mere champions vs genius in sports. Several sports are considered.   Spoiler alert:  Roger is the genius example for tennis!!

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/why-roger-federer-is-a-genius-and-rafael-nadal-a-mere-champion-20170907-gyd555.html

Title:  Why Roger Federer is a genius, and Rafael Nadal a mere champion

Author:  Darren Kane

So the label "genius" isn't shorthand for defining someone who has surpassed all of his or her rivals in a contest, no matter how many times a champion may have done so

No, from where I sit, a sporting "genius" isn't just a champion, or exceptional at sport. Champions can fill trophy cabinets without ever traversing into the stratosphere of genius. "Genius" denotes that rare kind of champion – the type who mesmerises; who triumphs in a special way, where you're left to ask yourself how, exactly? A genius, is a champion who astonishes in a complex, sometimes inexplicable fashion. Genius in the sporting sense, is a thing of true wonder.

I'll leave you to read why Roger meets this definition, regardless of who lifts the trophy on the weekend and the fact that he lost in the quarters.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:09 pm

^^^ What an awesome article! Thanks for posting!
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks Rufus.
I'm not sure if you caught our TSN blurb before the QFs when the announcer talked about how once again the GOAT status was on the line with the probable semi clash between RN and Roger and the usual H to H etc. So, you know the old adage :"there is none so blind as those who cannot see". We will never get consensus about this- I am referring to Roger vs RN (not people like Laver).

Still it is nice to see nice things written about our man!
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:23 am

Roger doesn't seem to be suffering too much from his last night loss...  Wink Gif  

Roger Federer lunches with Bill Gates after crushing loss

By Francesca Bacardi and Bryan Hood - PageSix

September 8, 2017 | 6:14pm

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 33 Gettyimages-675025732
Bill Gates and Roger attend the Federer Foundation's Match for Africa 4 fundraiser in April.  Getty Images

How do you get over a crushing quarterfinal loss at the US Open? If you’re Roger Federer, you get lunch with pal Bill Gates.

The tennis legend and the Microsoft co-founder were spotted breaking bread at Le Bilboquet on Friday afternoon, a source told Page Six.

According to the source, none of the other diners at the luxe French bistro bothered them or seemed to “care” that they were in the presence of the icons.

The casual Upper East Side lunch came less than 48 hours after Federer was bounced in shocking fashion from the US Open by Juan Martin Del Potro. Had he won, the Swiss star would have gone up against longtime rival Rafael Nadal on Friday night at Flushing Meadows.

This isn’t the first time Federer and Gates have made nice. The duo even hit the court together in April at the Federer Foundation’s Match for Africa 4 fundraiser in Seattle.

Instagram

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 33 DJPJQBXXgAEhrEY

Alessandro Mele - Le Bilboquet
Respect @rogerfederer #tennis #legend #rogerfederer #usopen

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:49 am

It is somehow uplifting to see Roger thus engaged after the tournament. Was it Dan Kane of the Melbourne Morning Herald before the AO who put into words the difference between champion and genius. Excellently done, and I am so glad about it because of course for years certain parties try to move the goalposts, whereas there is more to things than numbers.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:42 pm

^^^
Totally agree, HOTM.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Roger Federer ready to team up with Rafael Nadal ahead of the Laver Cup

• The inaugural Laver Cup will commence on 22 September.
  • Federer and Nadal will be on the same side for once on Team Europe.

By Abhinav Kini - Ibitimes.co.uk

September 14, 2017 13:30 BST

RF Tennis News 2017 - Page 33 Nadal-laver-federer
Nadal, Laver and Federer during the Laver Cup media announcement @Getty

With all the talk after the US Open on who the greatest tennis player of all time is, Roger Federer is simply excited about the possibility of teaming up with long-time rival Rafael Nadal.

World number one Nadal won the US Open by defeating South Africa's Kevin Anderson in a win that marked his 16th Grand Slam title — just three behind number two-ranked Federer's tally of 19.

With the duo looking likely to compete for the top spot in the ATP tennis rankings in the remaining months of the season, Federer is instead focused on an exhibition event in the Laver Cup.

The competition is in honour of 11-time major champion Rod Laver and will see Europe, captained by Björn Borg, take on the rest of the world, captained by John McEnroe.

"For me to spend time with Bjorn, it's quite rare," Federer said, as quoted on Tennis World USA. "He doesn't spend so much time on the tour. When he shows up, it's short."

"I feel every minute you get with him is a privilege. Here we are, he's going to be stuck with us. So it's going, I think, to be very special for all of us, particularly me.

"I mean, I have incredible respect for him. I feel like if I could play one player ever going back, I feel like it would be Bjorn. I feel he's that incredibly good, for what he did for the game. If I look how he played, what he brought to it, it's crazy."

The Swiss ace then turned his attention to Nadal, stating how for once, he can actually be on the same side as the Spaniard, having previously mentioned his desire to be a doubles partner with him in the three-day event.

"So okay, enough of Bjorn. But Rafa [Nadal], he's been such a wonderful champion and a good friend of mine on the tour, one of my big rivals for life, that it's just nice to be able to spend some time with him and support him," Federer added.

"If I can help him, great. If he can help me, even better. Finally, after all these years, I get a chance to actually support his forehand, his aggressive play, his everything, his fighting spirit. Everything before was always like, ahh, another forehand and another fighter."

The inaugural Laver Cup takes place from 22 to 24 September and will be held every year except for an Olympics year.

Both teams will consist of six players and there will be four matches each day, with at least one doubles match.

Click here to see the full rules of the Laver Cup.

For more information, see the Laver Cup thread.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Pheebe it is ridiculously repetitious, the supposed supremacy. It has been made clear who is at the pinnacle a long time ago, no matter what they try to drag into it. Most consisent player, who plays even when he feels he probably won't win is Roger. And there are those who failed to see what a competitor and fighter he is. But remaining committed to his schedule and seldom deviating from it is bravery already, and courage, taking on the tour with all it comes with.
This refrain, who is the greatest, is brought up time and again, like the ghost of Hamlet's father, and it's the Americans, esp. two brothers, and some British comms who constantly ride this subject. I can only come to one conclusion.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 39 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum