Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 General Tennis News

+4
fedled
HeartoftheMatter
Márcia
Cromar
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2020 General Tennis News

Post by Cromar Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:42 am

You are Welcome Smil HeartoftheMatter !

Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 pm

I can't see that any grass tourneys can take place this year unless the grass is safe to play on and the mention somewhere of the grass getting too damp in early evening from dew later in the year is a warning. Sigh.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 pm

A bit of news from Canadian CP24, a cable news outlet. Novak Djokovic is trying to organize a men's tournament, or a swing of tournaments, to be played in the Balkans 
 That was all. Nothing about the ATP, etc. Was this just for the fans and players. so the players have competitive play? It sounds like a one-time pandemic based event. 
 Sometimes I see things on this outlet that is either earlier than other places or comes up with information that others might not even sho. I wonder if Canadian Tennis is the source for this kind of news, or the individual players. Saw nothing on ATP official site.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat May 30, 2020 5:39 am

Yes, there are several events being organized now in various part of the world, mostly with only local players taking part (in view of travel restrictions still in effect in many countries).

I just posted some information about various upcoming events in the thread: COVID-19 Impact on ATP Rankings & Schedule.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Sat May 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Further re grass tourneys, now that tennis is allowed again in UK since the social distancing is easy in comparison to many sports, I don't see why there can't be some grass tourneys. Even Wimbledon might consider opening a few of their outer courts for a Brits-only tourney? I'll bet Andy Murray would love to play and his brother too. As I recall, Boris Becker lives in Wimbledon area (I assume he's been locked down there, not in Germany?) and is often at the Club, so perhaps he is considering organising something? 

There's been info on line re Novak's contest for a number of days now.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Sat May 30, 2020 12:10 pm

Oh and to add that our TV channels are desperate for some live sport! They'd love to show anything going, surely? Let alone Amazon Prime and Eurosport...

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat May 30, 2020 11:18 pm

Fabio to undergo arthroscopic surgery on both ankles next week... Wishing him a prompt recovery!  Good luck  Praying

2020 General Tennis News - Page 2 EZQFc0gWAAEN1FZ?format=jpg&name=large
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:44 pm

Nice to see Fabio back on his feet already! Sunny

Cromar
Cromar

Márcia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Kudos to Robin Soderling for coming out and writing about it.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:58 pm

Very sad to read of Robin's problems. I was shocked when he went down with mono, and dismayed as it seemed he was never going to recover from it enough to play tennis again. But it seems now it wasn't just the mono but so much else. Much sympathy and high respect for him fighting through the demons.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:32 am

Nice financial gestures by Wimbledon and big announcement regarding seeding at future Championships:

Wimbledon is abandoning the grass bonuses! Oh My!  This will make a few people happy, I think.  Thumbs up  

Wimbledon announced that the grass-court seeding formula it has used for the gentlemen’s singles draw since 2002 will be discontinued beginning in 2021

:copyright: Matthias Hangst/Getty Images

Wimbledon Pledges £10 Million To Players

ATP Staff
July 10, 2020

The grass-court Grand Slam is allocating funds to 620 players from all disciplines

Wimbledon pledged on Friday £10 million to the men and women who would have competed at The Championships in 2020 had the COVID-19 pandemic not forced the cancellation of the event. The grass-court Grand Slam is allocating funds to 620 players from all disciplines whose world ranking would have enabled them to gain entry into the tournament.

The 256 players who would have competed in gentlemen’s and ladies’ singles draws will each receive £25,000; 224 players who would have competed in the genlemen’s and ladies’ qualifying events will each receive £12,500; 120 players who would have competed in Main Draw Doubles will each receive £6,250.

In addition, Wimbledon announced that the grass-court seeding formula it has used for the gentlemen’s singles draw since 2002 will be discontinued beginning in 2021. The seeding will be based solely on the FedEx ATP Rankings.

The All England Club has focussed Wimbledon’s efforts on supporting those most affected by the pandemic at a local, national and international level. These efforts have included the Wimbledon Foundation’s £1.2 million COVID-19 fund to support charities tackling the crisis response and recovery, the donations of strawberries, towels and balls intended for The Championships 2020, the distribution of daily hot meals to those in need in the local community.

Auction for the ATP Coach Programme

2020 General Tennis News - Page 2 Csp_3_leaderboard_static_728x90

* Check it out... Private sessions are also available with ATP Players Grigor Dimitrov, Feliciano Lopez and Stan Wawrinka onsite at 2021 ATP Tour and Grand Slam events, as well as ATP coaches Severin Luthi, Carlos Moya, Toni Nadal, Magnus Norman and Dani Vallverdu. A frame featuring signed rackets from each of Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal will also be available via prize draw.

Wimbledon has also contributed to the Player Relief Programme and wheelchair tennis fund established by the governing bodies of world tennis, as well as an auction in support of members of the ATP Coach programme most in need due to the pandemic. Andy Murray will hit with the winning bidder and a guest at The Championships in 2021, and they will follow that session with a private lunch in the All England Club's members' enclosure. The winning bidder will also receive two tickets to the gentlemen's singles final.

The chief executive of the All England Club, Richard Lewis , said: “Immediately following the cancellation of The Championships, we turned our attention to how we could assist those who help make Wimbledon happen. We know these months of uncertainty have been very worrying for these groups, including the players, many of whom have faced financial difficulty during this period and who would have quite rightly anticipated the opportunity to earn prize money at Wimbledon based on their world ranking. We are pleased that our insurance policy has allowed us to recognise the impact of the cancellation on the players and that we are now in a position to offer this payment as a reward for the hard work they have invested in building their ranking to a point where they would have gained direct entry into The Championships 2020.”

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 am

Gossip Titbits and Social News - Some hot! On fire Oh My! Hee hee

Source: Tennis365.com (July 13, 2020) & Instagram

Nothing like a bit of detective work on social media as the Twitter spies “confirm” that Stan Wawrinka and Garbine Muguruza are tennis’ new power couple.

(I didn't even know he and Donna had split up last year! Rolling Eyes)    

Of course Wawrinka himself gave a big hint last month when he posted the following on Instagram. Muguruza posted a similar picture.

Husband and wife having a good time.  Oh My!  On fire  On fire

Lovely dress!  Sunny  Too bad she won't be wearing it...  Sad

And some sweet baby news!  Love it   Love Eyes

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:57 am

And this one... So cute!   Love Eyes   Mom a bit surprised at the result!

Video Camera by Alexandra Stamm (Mom)

Her post on Instagram: @astamm  Instagram  

"Yesterday Charlie and I brought Cody a smoothie at work. While picking up balls after a lesson, I looked over and saw my boys messing around. I pulled out my phone and recorded the moment. So many friends thought the video was funny, so I submitted it to @barstoolsports on a whim this morning.

It quickly went viral and was reposted to @tennischannel @tenniswarehouse and @truesportstv I’ve been contacted by NBC and a few licensing agencies. Actual tennis pros have commented on the video...like a US Open Champion and a Wimbledon Finalist 😳

I’m flabbergasted that this moment has been viewed over A MILLION times. Despite the fact that some people were mad that Charles doesn’t have a hat on (good lord people!), this has certainly been a fun and happy day. I’m so blessed to have two guys in my life who bring so much joy to so many people. Thank you for all of the love today. I hope Charles continues to make people happy throughout his life. Oof mama needs a glass wine now!"😅

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosaline Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 pm

I am absolutely delighted to hear this! Garbine is one of my favourites of the ladies - she won the RG singles the same year Feli and Marc won the RG doubles - their match followed hers, so I was watching live at the time and loved her too and her tennis and I've followed her progress since. I had sort of noticed in instagram etc that there seemed some link between her and Stan but I really hadn't worked it out. However, I heard awhile back that he'd split from Donna Vecic. And I'd been noticing all Stan's instagrams, so many and so entertaining, were of him all alone during the lockup and I was so hoping he had a new love somewhere. 

Thanks for the other info too - some of it I see as well. I follow Simona (my favourite of the ladies though still greatly attached to Venus and Serena as well) and Garbine and Stan on Instagram.

Rosaline

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:29 pm

On July 14, Pouille announced on Twitter that he was going to have surgery: "It’s never an easy decision to take, but I will get surgery on my right elbow this month in Paris. After new medical exams, it appeared it was the best solution in order to finally be able to play pain-free. I still hope to play before the end of the season. See you all soon Smile"

Cromar
Cromar

fedled likes this post

Back to top Go down

Normal Djokovic/Pospisil Announce new PTPA Association

Post by Cromar Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:56 am

The Professionnal Tennis World Torn Apart...

As if there was not enough turmoil in this world at present, Djokokic resigned as head of the ATP's Player Council, along with Pospisil, then made the following announcement today... a mess!  Surprised face

Soon after, Vasek clarified:

Earlier, both Roger and Nadal had tweeted that they felt it wasn't the right time for such action:

Some other comments:

Andy Murray, long an outspoken supporter of women’s tennis, said he did not plan on signing onto the new association today. He is not completely against the new association but feel that the current management should be given some time to implement their vision.

Also, citing the exclusion of women as a concern, he said: “I feel like that would send a much more powerful message, personally, if the WTA were on board with it as well. That’s not currently the case. If those things changed in the future, it’s something that I would certainly, certainly consider.”

Dan Evans' take on the proposed association: 'I do know the reasoning. I think now is probably horrible timing to be talking about that sort of thing. For what it’s worth I think the ATP do a great job for us. I won’t be signing whatever it is, the sheet of paper, they want.'

Medvedev: 'I decided for myself to think more about it after US Open. I'll definitely ask more information to Vasek & Novak to decide for myself. I need some time. That's all I can say right now because I cannot say more. I don't know which way I'm leaning, but I need more info'.

Jon Wertheim @jon_wertheim: Lot of questions about the vote; but so many unanswerables right now. If the PTPA includes female PTP's and goes after the majors for more $, that's great. And overdue. If this is scorched earth and blows up @atptour without much plan beyond a three-page PDF, that's not great...

More thoughts:
a) I'm not sure two sides are all that far off
b) age-old question: can you make change from within; or do you have to smash the system?
c) a pre-req for a union is an employer. The big-and thus far unanswered-question: who's the employer if @atptour collapses?

Stephanie Myles (@OpenCourt): Chalk up another Player Council member for the renegade side as I'm hearing Sam Querrey has signed the PTPA document - and resigned from the Player Council.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum