Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019

+14
Lil_Jay
UES
Sherl
Cheadlebeagle
ph∞be
Felicity
Rufus1
federerworshipper
Márcia
norinchi
HeartoftheMatter
Steerpike60
Marly 103-20
Cromar
18 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Normal Re: Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu May 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Given that Stan has been also so staunch in the Davis Cup titles, they certainly should have wanted him on the Laver Cup team!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:Given that Stan has been also so staunch in the Davis Cup titles, they certainly should have wanted him on the Laver Cup team!

I'm sure they did. I'm sure Roger would have loved for him to be on the team with it being played in Geneva. But it sounds like the appearance fee is a set calculation based on rankings and not negotiable. Maybe Stan's manager shouldn't have been so steadfast on special treatment?
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 am

norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Fri May 24, 2019 12:19 pm

LAVER CUP AND ATP JOIN FORCES

The Laver Cup and the ATP announced today an agreement that will make the annual men’s team event, in which Europe takes on the rest of the world, an official part of the annual ATP Tour calendar.

The agreement gives the event, now approaching its third competition in Geneva, Switzerland this September, access to ATP services, including marketing and social media, along with operational personnel such as officials and physios.

“The Laver Cup team is incredibly excited about this partnership with the ATP. It has always been our hope to build the Laver Cup in partnership with the tennis world, and certification by the ATP after only two editions is an overwhelming validation of our vision,” Tony Godsick, President and CEO of TEAM8, and Chairman of the Laver Cup, said.

“We created the Laver Cup to celebrate the greats of the game – past, present and future – and grow interest in our great sport of tennis,” Godsick added.  “Partnering with the ATP positions us to continue to achieve that mission and reach even greater audiences.”
Chris Kermode, Executive Chairman and President of the ATP said that the reception by tennis fans globally was a major factor in the ATP’s wish to form a partnership.

“The Laver Cup has struck a chord with fans worldwide in a very short time,” Kermode said.

“It’s been great to see the passionate participation of the players and the response from the fans at the sold-out events in Prague and Chicago. This event has great potential to reach new fans around the world, and all of us at the ATP are excited to include the Laver Cup as an official part of the ATP Tour calendar and have it featured alongside other tournaments on all our platforms.”

Roger Federer, a partner in TEAM8 who tasked his team with creating the Laver Cup to honor not just the great Rod Laver, but the coterie of tennis legends who paved the way for the success of the current game, said he was delighted with the news.

“As I come closer to the end of my playing career, it’s wonderful to know that the Laver Cup will be part of the tour that I’ve dedicated more than 20 years of my life to. This partnership is a wonderful example of how the tennis family can unite to promote and grow the sport we all love.”

Currently celebrating the 50th anniversary of winning the ‘Grand Slam’ for the second time in 1969, Rod Laver praised the ATP’s official endorsement of his namesake event which has further cemented his legacy.

“I am grateful to the ATP for recognizing that the Laver Cup plays an important role in raising awareness of the amateur era of tennis and my fellow ‘barnstormers”.  I am honored and thankful for what has been achieved and to Roger for doing this for us,” Laver said.

The values of the Laver Cup – commitment to excellence, focus on the team, respect for the opponent, and love for the game – has been embodied by the two inaugural captains, Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe.

“Anyone who has seen the Laver Cup knows this is an event that everyone had to get behind.  I am proud to have been a part of its genesis, and thankful to the ATP for choosing to endorse it,” John McEnroe said.

“The Laver Cup is my favorite week of the year,” Bjorn Borg said. “I have enjoyed working with all the generations of players and being in front of the fans once again.”

World No.1 Novak Djokovic, who played the second Laver Cup last year in Chicago, said, “The Laver Cup is a true celebration of tennis that is loved by the fans and embraced by the players. I experienced it first hand as a player, and as President of the ATP Player Council I’m proud to support this collaboration.”

ATP Tournament Board Representative Charles Humphrey Smith said “The Laver Cup showcases the world’s greatest male tennis players in a whole new way. It grows interest in the game which benefits all of us in the industry.” The third edition of the Laver Cup will be held in Geneva, Switzerland on September 20 – 22, 2019.

https://lavercup.com/news/2019/05/24/laver-cup-and-atp-join-forces
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by federerworshipper Fri May 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Norinchi: Great news. Thank you., Sunny Great for Roger, great for the players and for us FANS. Fantastic.

federerworshipper
federerworshipper

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri May 24, 2019 1:46 pm

What an honor for Roger!  Love Eyes   

The Laver up, Roger's brain child, will keep the history of tennis alive and be part of Roger's legacy.

Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019 - Page 3 D7UgkybW0AAos_s

And it's already on the ATP Calendar...  Clapping Hands

Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019 - Page 3 Lc_add10
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri May 24, 2019 3:16 pm

The Laver Cup and ATP joining forces is such great news. I'm so happy for Roger. This was his idea and to see it become a permanent part of the ATP calendar is awesome.

Maybe someday it will be come the Laver-Federer Cup? Smile
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Fri May 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Posting your pic on Twitter , Thanks dear Cromar Wink Gif Hee hee
norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri May 24, 2019 11:48 pm

That is good for the sport! It is quite an exciting event. I saw some posts on the ATP site where this was announced, and some were clearly fans of someone else. I found it disappointing, because their champion has achieved and I don't understand the unpleasant undertone....(Roger owns the ATP, and it is political, and all such stuff, as though Roger only thought of himself. For me, it was reminiscent of a certain attitude that has resentment or jealousy at its core.)
But I shall try to ignore such things from now on and just enjoy our great champion.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm

There's big dust-up going on at Twitter as it appears the ATP site is now counting Laver Cup matches in the H2Hs. The weird part that I discovered is that, for right now, only the Prague results are showing. Not the Chicago ones.

A couple of things. Should the ATP retroactively count Prague and Chicago? Or should it start with Geneva? Honestly, I don't know.

Should it count at all? Personally I don't have a problem with it counting. I mean, Davis Cup and the Olympic matches count even though there are no ranking points for those events either.

Of course, haters are calling it a glorified exho. Anyone who actually watched it knows that the players did not treat it as an exho. Not at all. And some are trashing Roger since the ATP is, of course, bowing to Federer in their mind.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Well, I am glad. It was an excellent idea of Roger's and it highlights his attitude to the sport. It's not just all about him.
However, I have made up my mind: Roger is far from retiring! Go Fight

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marly 103-20 Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Indeed, the ATP took into account the victories of the 2017 LC , it also forgot a victory to Roger in singles which would bring its total to date to 1209!

They counted that on his victory against Querrey, they failed to win against Kyrgios. And it wasn’t Cilic who played doubles with him but Roger!

But I think it’s good that they’re counting from Geneve. However, I find it a little odd to give back the victories even if it was, in my opinion, more than an exhibition
Marly 103-20
Marly 103-20

http://federer080881.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 pm

The line-up for Team Europe is almost complete. Joining Roger and Rafa are Thiem, Sasha Zverev and Fognini (!!). I imagine the last spot will be announced at a later date. No word yet on who will be playing on the Rest-of-the World team. I imagine Kyrgios would play again if asked. Same for Isner since they both love it. And I would think J-Mac would use a Captain's Pick on Sock again strictly for his doubles prowess.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Whoa! Team Europe is pretty loaded!... And Fognini should add even more fun to the event! Smile  And he is a good doubles player too.  

Thanks for the info, Steerpike!

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:40 am

Team World just announced that Kevin Anderson South Africa, John Isner USA, Milos Raonic Canada and Denis Shapovalov Canada are confirmed for Geneva 2019. Good start!  Smile

Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019 - Page 3 D-i9FocXkAIoD1o?format=jpg&name=small
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:02 pm

They are roaring more that Team Europe. I note that they are going in for the "height" advantage. And no Kyrgios? Was that his not wanting to participate or did they leave him out because of recent events? If it's the latter, it is a mistake, think.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum