Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 General Tennis News

+6
Cromar
Steerpike60
ph∞be
HeartoftheMatter
Márcia
tvradke
10 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2018 General Tennis News

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Berdych is out of the summer hardcourt season including the USO due to back issues:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/07/due-back-injury-tomas-berdych-will-miss-hard-court-season-us-open-atp-tour/75430/

Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Le Matin  

18 Jul. 2018 (Translated from French)

He walks in the footsteps of Federer with troubling precision

Taiwanese Chun-hsin Tseng was born on the same day as the man with 20 Grand Slam titles. The comparison does not stop here...

The number 20 is in fashion. There was France's World Cup coronation, 20 years after the epic event of 1998. In tennis, Taiwan's Chun-hsin Tseng has just won the Wimbledon junior tournament, 20 years after Roger Federer.

These facts, on the surface quite banal, take another meaning when we know that the world junior No. 1 was born August 8, 2001, exactly 20 years after Roger Federer (August 8, 1981). Both players won the same tournament at age 17.

Name: Roger Federer
Date of birth: August 8, 1981
Boys' #Wimbledon champion: 1998  Trophy Gold

Name: Chun Hsin Tseng
Date of birth: August 8, 2001
Boys' Wimbledon champion: 2018  Trophy Gold  

Source: Mouratoglou Tennis Academy ‏  Twitter @MouratoglouAcad  

If the game and the two-handed backhand of Tseng do not really bring to mind the style of the Swiss, for the moment, the young Taiwanese timing is that of a champion. This year, he became the first player to reach the three finals of the Grand Slam junior tournaments since Gael Monfils fourteen years ago.

This doesn't obviously guarantee a career at the highest level. Many brilliant juniors have failed to impose themselves in the world of professional tennis.

If, however, Tseng is successful in his transition to the adults, he will have to be closely watched during the 2023 edition of Wimbledon (Federer won his first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon in 2003).

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Unreal!  Shocked  Bowing

The extravagant Trio:

Federer + Nadal + Djokovic = 50 Grand Slam Titles

Following Djokovic recent win at Wimbledon, this extraordinary Trio of the 21st Century reached the surreal milestone of 50 GS titles between them: Federer (20), Nadal (17), Djokovic (13), which corresponds to the equivalent of twelve and a half years. It's the first time since 2008 that the three champions each get at least one major title in the same year.

Excerpts translated from French - Source: Eurosport.fr

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Congratulations, Martina!  Love Eyes      I am rally happy for her.

Camera / Photo Blick.ch

Martina Hingis gets married to Harry Leemann in Switzerland

by: Kamakshi Tandon | Tennis.com
July 22, 2018

There were around 140 guests at the wedding, followed by a reception at a resort in the region where Hingis, 37, and Leemann, 38, own property. This marks Hingis' second marriage

Leemann and Hingis have been together for more than two years, meeting when Hingis was playing Fed Cup and Leemann was the doctor for the team.

Hingis is now a coach for the Swiss Fed Cup team, assisting the captain. The former No. 1 in both singles and doubles retired from doubles play in 2017.

And a 'must' photo with her other love...  Sunny  

2018 General Tennis News - Page 4 IMG-20180721-WA0004

2018 General Tennis News - Page 4 IMG-20180721-WA0005

Camera / Photo Blick.ch

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:59 am

A roof for RG! Sunny  Neat video!

"The court Philippe-Chatrier continues its metamorphosis with bold transformations.
See you in 2019 for its Renaissance! "

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:29 am

Well, well, well, interesting!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:32 am

Like the dress--choice to have some light covering, not everything displayed--also like the bride, the groom...and well...the horse. Best man?

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Looks like Lendl has joined the Sascha Zverev team. I guess we'll see him in Sascha's box for the USO.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Lend with Sascha, or does it include Alexandre? It must, I suppose. Lendl was with Murray. Otherwise, I don't he does coaching frequently. Maybe he sees he can do with the Zverevs. I hope it's not all going to turn into the competition of former greats. Ah, well.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 pm

Get better, Chris Fowler! Were you playing tennis by any way, or got injured just watching it? You are much improved as a tennis commentator. You used to be quite irritating at one time, making a comment during a Wimbledon final Roger/Andy about how slowly Roger walked from one side of the court to the other.....because you felt you had to say something to show you were supporting Andy, or because you just wanted to say something. I applaud that you are more even handed in you commentary these days. All the best......

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:Lend with Sascha, or does it include Alexandre? It must, I suppose. Lendl was with Murray. Otherwise, I don't he does coaching frequently. Maybe he sees he can do with the Zverevs. I hope it's not all going to turn into the competition of former greats. Ah, well.

Not sure if understand your question correctly... Sascha 'is' Alexander! His brother is Mischa. I know, it's a bit confusing.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:Get better, Chris Fowler! Were you playing tennis by any way, or got injured just watching it? You are much improved as a tennis commentator. You used to be quite irritating at one time, making a comment during a Wimbledon final Roger/Andy about how slowly Roger walked from one side of the court to the other.....because you felt you had to say something to show you were supporting Andy, or because you just wanted to say something. I applaud that you are more even handed in you commentary these days. All the best......

>>I wish him the best too BUT I disagree about his comments. Never liked Roger & I suppose never will.
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:43 am

Striker, you mean Fowler never like Roger? He does tend to keep company with Johnny Mc, who either thinks Roger is amazing, or quickly switches to fawn about Nadal or Djokovic.
Another thing this group always does is talk way too much, as though they had to entertain the listeners. It is good to have some insight or remark during the match, but they are pretty nonstop.
Give me Cliff Drysdale anytime. He talks well, understands the game, but is not constantly filling up the air with chatter. And, he like and understands Roger's greatness.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Looks like RG is instituting tennis outfit rules.  That "cat suit" that Serena wore this year will not be allowed in the future.  Personally I'm okay with that as I hated that look.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/24461310/new-french-open-dress-rules-prohibit-serena-williams-catsuit-2019
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:56 pm

^^^
I am not okay. One thing is "I like it/I don't like it", another thing is prohibit. Of course there can be limits (decency in outfits, for instance). But "One must respect the game and the place." talking about Serena's outfit? What is it? Moral censorship? In regard of which moral?

There is a big difference with Wimbledon. First of all, Wimbledon is a private club of tennis, and the rules are rules of the club. Second, it is a tradition that they want to be respected.

Will they ban Paire's tight and short shorts?
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum