Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 General Tennis News

+6
Cromar
Steerpike60
ph∞be
HeartoftheMatter
Márcia
tvradke
10 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2018 General Tennis News

Post by Márcia Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:56 pm

^^^
I am not okay. One thing is "I like it/I don't like it", another thing is prohibit. Of course there can be limits (decency in outfits, for instance). But "One must respect the game and the place." talking about Serena's outfit? What is it? Moral censorship? In regard of which moral?

There is a big difference with Wimbledon. First of all, Wimbledon is a private club of tennis, and the rules are rules of the club. Second, it is a tradition that they want to be respected.

Will they ban Paire's tight and short shorts?

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:04 pm

^^^ Actually they can. I don't know about you, but I can't just wear whatever I want at my job. We're pretty relaxed where I work but there are still certain things I know I can't show up to work in.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Normal outfits

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:29 pm

One GS, Wimbledon, maybe, or some other one a number of years ago, Serena's outfit was regulation or nothing out of the ordinary, but when she bent down, or the skirt part fluttered up, it looked as though she had no underwear on her backside. It was a bit of a shock, but she said it was the way the outfit was made.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Didn't Venus have one once where the under-shorts were a nude color and it looked like she wasn't wearing anything?  Anyway, the bottom line is, I think the tournaments (especially the majors) can do whatever they want as far as a dress code.  And let's face it, most are pretty good except for Wimbledon which is really strict with the all-white thing.  And like I said, for me personally, I didn't like the 'cat suit' and prefer not to see that on a tennis court.  I really liked her 'halter-top' one from last year.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:39 am

This is off court news relating to the Roland Garros ruling on what is not appropriate on court.Regarding that cat suit Serena wore--off topic--they did not consider it appropriate. I only thought that it did not really suit her. Venus wore a cat suit once, all white, but she is much slimmer.
Now Nike put out tweet in defense of Serena, something about you can take the player out of the power suit but the power is still with the player. An awful paraphrase of mine, but the meaning is the same. I don't understand why Nike did this, and in view of the outcome and still to be resolved logo with RF, it sounds odd. Why, because Serena is American? Maybe she is going to be their main item, what with some saying she is the GOAT: actually, Roger said that, as he was going by numbers. Numbers or no numbers, you cannot equate the men's and women's game.
Did Nike design the catsuit? Even if they did, what should it matter? (Serena mentioned something after this exchange that she wore the catsuit to aid her circulation because she had problems with blood clots. Earlier, at Roland Garros, she said that she wore it to encourage women.)

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:14 am

^^^
I don't know what is said elsewhere. I read it at L'Equipe, and I wrote to the French Federation (it is their decision, not Forget's). I think this is absolutely stupid, a nonsense, but most of all - and I said it to them - a censorship, a false moral decision. And they had the audacity of writing in their decision that a player should respect tennis and the tournament. Serena does not respect tennis? Is it (dressing her cat suit) a lack of respect toward tennis?
Wimbledon is a private club, there are rules there for every member of the club. And it is a tradition.
I wonder when this FF new president will say no to Paire's tight and short shorts, for exemple. Totally stupid, imo.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:04 pm

I wrote a couple of posts, but erased one after another. When the play gets going, this, too, shall pass.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:35 pm

hotm, my concern is with the president of the FF and his decision. Btw, why he takes a decision concerning RG? Is it not Forget's responsibility?

Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Yes, I understand you. I have no idea, but if everyone will forgive me, the French can be peculiar at times in certain areas. For example, separation of church and state. Well and good, but then the state sticks its nose into individual choice and liberty by not allowing religious symbols to be worn in schools, which are government run, and I guess government offices. Although, to be sure, this was dressed up because all religious symbols were included, but the real target was only one.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Márcia wrote:hotm, my concern is with the president of the FF and his decision. Btw, why he takes a decision concerning RG? Is it not Forget's responsibility?

The French Federation of Tennis is the governing body of the French Open/RG. They make the rules. Forget is only the TD and just makes sure that the rules are applied!  Smile
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Márcia wrote:hotm, my concern is with the president of the FF and his decision. Btw, why he takes a decision concerning RG? Is it not Forget's responsibility?

The French Federation of Tennis is the governing body of the French Open/RG. They make the rules. Forget is only the TD and just makes sure that the rules are applied!  Smile

And Serena doesn't have a problem with the FF. She says her team is all French and they get along very well with Bernard Giudicelli, and although the US Open has accepted her 'cat suit', she won't be wearing it, as she has found others ways to control her medical issues. Having said that, some are reporting that the FF is maybe considering reversing their decision, seeing that the suit had medical implications.

So, all is well in this world! Sunny
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:36 pm

OMIGAWD you guys.  This is hysterical.  This article is from 2013 and it was predicting who the Top Ten was going to be in 2018 (btw... Roger and Rafa were supposed to be long gone!):

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/predicted-the-mens-top-10-players-in-2018_sto4707703/story.shtml
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:57 pm

Just hilarious how wrong they got it! They were going by the changes at the top of the men's game after Pete Sampras wasn't at the very top anymore.
It is true that it is hard to predict...still, this is just silly.
They couldn't gauge the changes that technology would take to the game, with much more power, bigger hitting made possible, but which also resulted in more injury prone, and which the younger players, less developed in all ways, including physically or mentally, had trouble coping with. That is, they could hit hard and serve hard, but paid the price with more injuries than before.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:43 pm

I don't know if it is here? Andy Roddick being introduced at the Hall of Fame.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:27 am

Sure, why not, Márcia!  Laughing  I am happy for Andy that he got so recognized.  He was/is such a funny guy, I miss him. He really retired too early, he could have been up there with Roger still!  Wink Gif

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Wonderful! He deserves it and more! I had sensed that some were ignoring him a bit, and he didn't get enough appreciation or a sendoff. He was always honest, and not a "pretender". I feel also he was clean....except for the sweating! LOL...Bravo, Andy Roddick!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum